Young's Oatmeal Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by erz316 on 02-20-2009

Reviews: 453 | Ratings: 557

Full bodied but does not weigh you down like a ton of bricks. The sweetness of the malt is well balanced. I usually think of an oatmeal stout as a beer for winter, but this is a good year-round brew.

This is an all around great stout. It is very bitter, yet very smooth. Great mouthfeel, the carbonation excited my mouth and there was a little bit of foam head at the top throughout the entire session of drinking. I highly recommend this beer. Looks thick and black in appearance, there is no seeing through it. This beer couldn't be any better.

The best bottled beer I have ever had. The only beer better is Young's bitter cask conditioned in a London pub. If you love a stout that is smooth and utterly drinkable, than try this exceptional beer. Highest rating!!!

4.97/5  rDev +24.9%

Not so famous as the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but still an extraordinary brew, one of the best I ever tried.

Very dark, forms majestic creamy crown, leaves generous rings of lace on the glass.

Heavenly aroma, very complex and exciting - roasted & smoked malts, black fruits, caramel, mocco, chocolate...

Taste is fantastic, rich, with a very smooth mouthfeel and a hoppy surprise in the finish. Aftertaste cries for more...

Great stout!

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

Very smooth to the taste, almost like drinking a rich chocolate milk. A bit of a smoky nutty aftertaste. Incredible silky texture. This is definitely one of the better stouts I have tried in a while. The alcohol was well hidden. I had it on tap and it came out great. I would definitely suggest it.

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours dark, rich black with dark brown tinting at the sides. Full, dark cream colored head slowly falls to a 1/8 inch disc. Smells of coffee, barley, and cocoa. Taste is very much the same, with the inital flavor one of coffee and roasted barley, giving way to a brief hoppy taste, and finishing with a somewhat crisp cocoa flavor. Mouthfeel is full and creamy without feeling heavy, and the beer goes down very smooth. Drinkability is amazing, I could easily drink this one all night if I paced myself. Overall, this is definitely a beer I'll be having again in the future. Very enjoyable.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

I originally reviewed this under the old Young's entry, but since this is the current entry for this beer under its current production status, I shall add my review here, too.

This is an incredible stout, smooth, easy to drink, silky, full of ruich flavour, yet fairly light.

Opaque, almost black, brown, it has a bdig, dense, light brown head that slowly shrinks and leaves fairly good lace.

The aroma is yeasty dough, toasty, and full-bodied with fruit and caramel.

The taste is thick caramelly malt, fresh toast, dark chocolate fudge, with a mild coffee and drier chocolate coming up near the end. It is fairly sweet with only light bitterness. It's full-bodied and silky in feel.

4.71/5  rDev +18.3%

What a beautiful beer! Wonderful cascading in the foam. A light tan creamy head that is so perfect that when I took a sip it was like whipped cream! A true luxury among beers! A dark brown beer that is dark without appearing black. The head lasted the entire pint and light lacing graced the glass froim rim to bottom. This one is a winner.

Smell is light roastiness with a creamy coffee profile. Pleasant and no hop aroma detected. Spot on for the style.

Taste is exceptional. This is not a behemoth beer, mind you, but a wonderfully balanced stout that juggles creamy coffee, roasty nut, and a light milk chocolate taste. A slightly roasty-bitter aftertaste cleans up. Beautiful. I did not expect this at all!

Mouthfeel is next to exceptional. I get a full-bodied creaminess where carbonation is more downy or silky than actually perceptible as bubbles. Only drawback is a thin wateriness on the edges. Still very, very nice.

I could drink these all night. I wish I has a nitro-tap of this in the house. Great, great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Poured a dark brown with a thick 3 finger tan head. Had great lacing.

Had a good bread and oat smell with a slight roast.

Taste and feel was a creamy and smooth lightly sweet malt and nutty roast, with a slight hop finish.

Could drink this all night long.

4.66/5  rDev +17.1%

Superb! I can consume my weight in this stuff...just don't ask me any questions that require logic after I do it. This brew pours a dark coffee color with a full 3 finger head that hangs in there quite nicely. The smell is that of a hoppy beer althought the hops are balanced superbly in the taste. Possibly hints of slight coffee tones and creamy throughout the taste and the mouthfeel. Did I mention that this is good stuff? CHEERS, dudes!

4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

Tried this stout for the first time last night and was very impressed. I did expect this to be a good brew because I'm a big fan of their Double Chocolate Stout. I would have preferred it in a nitro can but they only had bottles in stock.

The color was very dark, almost black, with a spectacular dark, thick, and creamy head.

The smell is of well roasted, almost burned, malts with a hint of coffee.

The taste is again of dark roasted malts and a bit of chocolate. It is very smooth and creamy with a heavy body. The finish doesn't last long but is well pronounced.

This is a great full bodied oatmeal stout.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dark chocolate brown with a thick tan head and cascading carbonation. Smell of coffee and caramel and very mild hops. t
Tastes of caramel, smoke, chocolate, licorice(spelling?), vanilla, roasted malt, slight hop.
Finishes dry with a good aftertaste.
This I would take over a Guiness anyday. Very good full flavor stout.

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Recently had from the bottle at the Sunset Cantina in Boston, Ma. The menu here both tap and bottle had been pretty stagnant of late so I was very pleased to see they finally changed up their selection and this appeared on the bottle list.

Poured from the black bottle into a pint glass yielding a 1 finger cream-beige colored head atop a pitch black color beer. No light was able to get thru. As I drank the sample, thick rings of lace lined the glass all the way down.

Smell was roasted heavy malt, coffee, and grain.

Taste was oh so smooth and velvety creamy. Malty and tastes of slight coffee, roasted chocolate, oat, and cream. Very smooth with no bitterness and supurb balance.

Moderate to heavy on the palate but not overly thick. Almost no carbonation.

Very very drinkable. So smooth and creamy I only had one at this sitting but could have had many more. I'll be back to try this one again and again.

4.57/5  rDev +14.8%

Smell: Smells earthy and smoky to me, with coffee and roasted notes.

Taste: Tastes of chocolate, roasted oatmeal. Leaves a light dry chocolate after-taste that is quite pleasant.

Eyes: Black with a small ruby haze around the outside edges when shown against the light. A 2 finger head when poured into my Weizen glass (it's all I've got). Head recedes to a fine bubble with a decent lace up the glass in a light tan.

Mouthfeel: Feels of thick and creamy chocolate, very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but very hard to actually drink more than perhaps 2 in a sitting for me. It would be one of those beers that I would have on a special occasion. Christmas, Thanksgiving, something like that, paired with a dark desert.

Overall this is the first of the kind that I've tried, and it'll definitely bring me back to Oatmeal Stouts as a style I'd like to continue tasting in the future.

4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Pitch Black and opaque with a lighter colored creamy head, moderate lacing, and moderate carbonation.

S - Notes of bread, grain, and roasted malt. Faint hints of coffee.

T - Superb. Starts slightly bitter with serious oaty taste; soon after the taste expands to coffee, mocha, and deep malt.

M - Somewhat thin and dry. Leaves the pallete with a mild aftertaste, but still very clean.

D - Tremendous drinkability. This beer is not too bitter, and not too sweet. It goes down smooth and clean. The ABV isn't only slightly over 5% leaving it extremely sessionable.

I may seem biased towards this beer, but thats only because I am biased towards this beer. It is one of my all time favorite beers and will, undoubtably, continue to be throughout my life. For me, it defines the Oatmeal stout genre and gives me a point of refrence for reviewing other similar stouts. Try it- its extraordinary.

4.55/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a very, very dark brown that looks jet black; with some light near it, the red at the edges reveals itself and you realize it's brown. Head is light tan, huge, and has phenomenal staying power. Sticky trails on the side of the glass as it does recede.

S: Roasted malt aroma with some coffee notes and a hint of chocolate. Bit of fruitiness, but only once my nose was in the glass and I was taking my first sip.

T: Big, roasted/burnt flavor up front with some sweet malt. There's a bit of coffee/chocolate in the middle that tapers off to a mild charcoal-like flavor. Finish is lightly bitter, with a long, burned tail. Well-balanced. Just wonderful.

M: Silky, creamy, and awesome.

D: There's not much I can add to this. It's a great beer, wonderful example of the style. It's a wonderful and accessible way to introduce someone to the style, too.

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured as much as I could without spilling from the bottle into my pint glass.

A- Easily one of the best looking beers I know of. Very dark brown, pretty much black with an impressive tan head.

S- Roasted malts seem to dominate with hints of sweetness.

T- Nice roasted malt flavor with a nice sweet oatmeal flavor.

M- Fairly thick, and moderately carbonated.

D- One of my favorites. Maybe not quite as good as Sam Smith's but its debatable. I have had a hard time finding this beer as apposesed to the chocolate stout which is easy to get. I highly recommend this.

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Extremely fresh tasting, which one doesn't always find in bottled beer in Texas. Wonderfully silky mouthfeel. Very crisp bitterness on top of a very smooth base. Nice dark tan head and lacing. I can't say enough good things about this beer. Absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, it didn't show as a product on Young's web site when I checked on 10/9/06, so it may be retired.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is almost identical to the Young Chocolate Stout. Very dark with only a faint maple syrup color where the goblet is narrow enough to allow a little light through. The head chocolate tan and comprised of tiny bubbles, has a very silky look to it.
Nice retention and good lace.
Pleasantly sweet chocolate scent with a little oatmeal in it, a little nougat in the nose as well.
Oh man this is a great great example of an oatmeal stout. Sweet and strong with a hoppy bite to it. Lingering aftertaste of hops and oats. Malts and hops in good harmony together with the oats.
A chewable beer no doubt, very full body and keeps a presence even after it's gone down. More of a kick than I'd expect from a beer this low in Alcohol but great nonetheless.
This will be a regular in my fridge.

-Oelergud

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APEARANCE: Jet-black, opaque, and capped with a dense one finger collar of long-lasting foam. This beauty is exceptional!

AROMA: Deep aroma of truly fine-roasted barley malt. The smell of hand-crafted London quality just makes one want to dive right in...

TASTE: Almost not enough o's in smoooth to describe this one. While the absence of CO2 exposes the flaws in other beers...it exposes everything that is right with this one.

MOUTHFEEL: Unobtrusive and a bringer of joy! A superb oatmeal product with an unassuming robust taste that leaves one always wanting more...

DRINKABILITY: All day...all night...any day...any night...

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Black with deep coper tones. Dark tan foamy head. Black and brown.
S: Dark chocolate, toffee, roasted malts, hint of vanilla. Caramel. This smells of candy. Very dark chocolaty tones. Like chocolate fudge.
T: Smoke, roasted malts, ash, vanilla, bitterness, dark chocolate. Metallic tone (good). Taste and aroma work so well together it is almost hard to distinguish taste from aroma after a while. Somewhat dry aftertaste.
M: Very good. Lighter body than the taste would suggest. Tiny bubbles of carboration. Moderately carborated. Lovely stout.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a bottle into a twelve-ounce pub glass.

Appearance: Opaque black with an appealing brown head that lingers for some time.

Smell: The classic roasted-malt scent of a good oatmeal stout. Nothing fancy here.

Taste: Again, nothing fancy: just a solid, classic, roasty flavor with very little bitterness, although there is a discernable hop presence, rounding things out a bit.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and rather creamy, as I'd expect from a beer of this kind. The finish is pleasant, if a bit short.

Drinkability: Except that I tend to dislike drinking more than one of the same thing in a row, I could easily put away a few of these in a session with no complaint.

This is the first time I've tried Young's oatmeal stout, and I wish I'd sprung for it sooner. Overall, this is a damn fine beer, comparable in quality to Sam Smith's oatmeal stout - and I can't give much higher praise than that.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Large 16.9oz brown bottle that's best by 21 MAR 07. It was a birthday gift from my brother. How did he know?!

Opaque black with a creamy, bubbly mocha head. Complex aroma of I believe fruit, coffee and/or bitter chocolate, and toastiness.

The flavor profile is real enjoyable. It starts off with a hit of roasted malt, then you get a twinge of bitter chocolate, and then what I'm pretty sure is the sweetness of cherries and licorice, and finally a toast-like finish (as stated on the back label, go figure). Once the bottle is finished, the aforementioned sweetness lingers. It's dry, viscous, and tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

This poured a lovely dark, dark brown and held the head for a nice long time (not that long - drank it rather quickly). It's beyond me how this can be such a sweet taste yet have that hops bitterness that I adore. Each sip brought out a different nuance - caramel, coffee... Just pure yummy.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Young's Oatmeal Stout pours a black as night color with a thin foam head that leaves occasional sudsy lacing. There is a drink by date on the bottle.

The aroma is lovely roasted malt, oak, vanilla and a creamy chocolate.

The flavor is money. Smooth, creamy and delicious. It has a shortness in the mouth and doesn't stay long but the thought of how good it was is still in your mind. You taste a faint chocolate as well. Overall a wicked solid brew. I would recommend it anyone who is a Oatmeal Stout fan.

Young's Oatmeal Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd