Young's Oatmeal Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Oatmeal StoutYoung's Oatmeal Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: erz316 on 02-20-2009)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
cerevisiaephilus

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Well, I think big beers are ruining me. I can barely taste this one. Very attractive looking beer, some subtle "sweetish" (not swedish) vanilla aromas. As smooth beer that could be beefed up a little in the taste department. A decent mouthfeel, but I want to have to chew on an oatmeal stout. This reminds me somewhat of a dry stout, definately not the sharp black malt flavors, but definately a touched over hopped for an oatmeal stout I think. A bit of sour flavor, but all in all needs more to really satify my definition of an oatmeal stout.

02-25-2004 03:11:49 | More by cerevisiaephilus
beerguy101

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Dark black color. Large head. Aroma is kind of weak, touch of roasted grains and coffee. A lighter to medium bodied stout. Malts are roasted, hints of coffee a touch sweet. Touch of spiciness. Fairly dry. Smooth taste. Nice drinkable stout. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is dry. Aftertaste is a very slightly bitter.

10-15-2003 05:39:12 | More by beerguy101
originalsin

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my imperial pint glass--looks quite nice in here I might just take a picture.
Down to business. The bottle notes: "A dark, ruby coloured stout almost black from a distance, with a beautiful creamy head. Brewed with roasted malts, it has an exceptionally smooth palate and fruity aroma with a short but distinctive finish reminiscent of toast."

The description is obviously somewhat on the kind sight but is otherwise pretty spot on. From any farther away than a few inches you're looking at a pitch black beer but up close the ruby red tint comes through. The head off the pour wasn't nearly as frightening as I expect: The creamy espresso colored head inflated to about 1/2 an inch in height before settling down. It laces decently sip after sip.
The aroma is very clean and reminiscent of some dark fruits --cherry. Mahogany also comes through on the nose, as does dark roasted malt. All together it's very subdued and bland though, and I had to stretch my imagination to get a smell out of the beer.
This isn't a bad tasting beer: the palate is certainly 'exceptionally smooth' I was just hoping we'd get some more creaminess out of what looked like it really could've blown my socks off. The oatmeal of this 'oatmeal stout' really doesn't show at all. It tastes vaguely of flaked oats, yes, but more so of dark roasted grains with a slight hint of coffee flavors. More so, there's a nice amount of dark cooking chocolate present that balances the brew out relatively well: it's still just missing something.

On the whole: this isn't a spectacular oatmeal stout, but it's certainly a strong example of the style. I got the bottle for 2 bucks on clearance and might just go pick up a couple more for what it's worth.

06-11-2009 05:35:26 | More by originalsin
jarmby1711

Australia

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

A dark to black beer in the glass It had quite a lot of large bubbles clinging to the glass and made it look like a glass of cola.
The smells were pretty impressive.I thought i could detect rum chocolate cherries and coffee at various times.
The taste reflects the smells but add in the roasted malts to hold it all together.
The mouthfeel is where it all came undone for me.
If this was a dry or export stout , no worries, but where is the thick smoothy creaminess that an Oatmeal stout should have.
As a stout this is pretty good , as an oatmeal stout i was disappointed

01-11-2007 01:45:27 | More by jarmby1711
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours from the bottle to a dark brown color with medium tan head that lingers through most of the glass and leaves good lacing. Aroma is chocolate, nuts and some malt, but fairly faint. Beer is smooth drinking, with a mildly chocolate malty flavor, but again, fairly faint. Leaves a smooth finish. Not bad, but I’ve definitely had better stouts.

10-28-2006 12:31:20 | More by kimcgolf
jasonpeckins32

3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a pitch black color covered by a nice layer of silky brown foam.

The smell is strong of coffee grounds. Grassy and herbal.

The flavor is very roasted and smokey. Coffee and molasses round out the palate. It has a hard water taste to it. I'm not sure if brewing with hard water shows up in a beer's flavor, but it has a rusty/iron/hard water flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin for the style, but not bad. Drinkability is decent. This is not a bad beer, probably a slightly above-average beer that I was just expecting a little bit too much from.

01-20-2006 23:43:28 | More by jasonpeckins32
DarthKostrizer

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

06-28-2013 03:15:56 | More by DarthKostrizer
jackndan

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Youngs Oatmeal Stout: in the half liter brown bottle. Great looking black beer, tan head with a tremendous amount of staying power. Very light chocolate aroma, but noticeable. Taste is very nice, mouthfeel is smooth, and it seems easy to drink. What’s the problem then? Well it’s a good oatmeal stout, very much middle of the road, but there is lots better. Average.

02-13-2003 20:16:11 | More by jackndan
leeenglewood

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured in the typical nitro can fashion black with a creamy head. Nothing exciting about the smell just a hint of dark malt and no hop smell. Tasted almost like a half fermented beer without the yeast. Hops arise but are there only for a second and disappear to sweetness. Mouthful was creamy and rich but drinkability suffers from the odd sweetness. Maybe if it were a little bitterer either from the use of hops, roasted malts, or barley I would enjoy this somewhat disappointing beer more.

Serving type: nitro-can

08-24-2003 19:35:19 | More by leeenglewood
BierReise

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

Deep mahogany with slight tan head wich dissipates quickly and leaves only a faint and spotty lacing. Aroma is roasted malt with a faint hint of caramel and a slight hop presence. A little thin on the palate with a weakened malt flavor which finishes on the dry side. Overall a pretty average stout and not as nice as their Double Chocolate Stout which I found impressive.

06-06-2003 15:08:57 | More by BierReise
NJpadreFan

Young's Oatmeal Stout

Appearance- black with a skimpy brown head.
Smell- roasted coffee bean, chocolate, and ash.
Taste- roasted burnt coffee beans. Watery and smooth with a slight bitterness. After 3-4 sips the taste becomes more and more watery.

Overall- a mediocre stout that I would prefer over Guiness but wouldn't purchase again.

04-12-2004 22:28:43 | More by NJpadreFan
aquatonex

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

I had the chocolate, was expecting more from this one...

Pours deep brown, almost black. The head was around a finger, moderately foamy with very good lacing throughout. Brownish foam. Smelled of roasted malts, was expecting more oats in the nose but could barely tell it was there. Taste was mainly the roasted malts, again there is some oat but I was really expecting more oatmeal. Very slightly sweet. Mouthfeel was pretty good. This stout is rather good, but I'd go with the chocolate one any day.

Serving type: can

01-11-2005 19:25:08 | More by aquatonex
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours from a dark brown 22oz bottle into my nonic glass a typical black; Not quite a black hole, but dark indeed, with a couple thin ruby dots appearing when held up to a bright light. Head a lot thinner than I'd like, mild retention, but at least it covers the whole beer after receding.

Smell okay for the style; Coffee (with lots and lots of sugar the way my BM1 drank it on the bridge), oats, a tiny hint of acidity, bread and honey.

Taste appealing, but a little thin. There's a smokiness I haven't noticed in other Oatmeal Stouts that turns me off rather a lot - reminds me unpleasantly of a smoked porter; Coffee and bitter cocoa mix flavors.

Mouthfeel not as sumptuous as I've come to desire from a stout, a little too thin, almost like a porter. Carbonation is light and swishy, about how it should be. There's too much bite, not enough velvety clinging.

I suppose for this beer drinkability gets an ok score because this would make a great session stout. Actually, if I was in the mood for a session and didn't want to get full, this stout would do well. It doesn't do anything wrong, really, it's just not a Meal in a Bottle, which is how I like my stouts. You could drink lots of these without getting full. I personally wouldn't because I don't think it's all that satisfying an experience.

01-01-2006 11:11:44 | More by Tupperwolf
Denali

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap at Croxley Ales in Franklin Square, New York.

Appearance: Dark opaque black/brown with thick tan head.

Smell: Toffee and Chocolate.

Taste: Initial toffee and chocolate flavors. This was followed by a metallic taste that I did not like at all. A nice nutty flavor also came through. Unfortunately, the metallic taste ruined the taste of this beer for me because the other flavors were otherwise very good.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy (due to the nitro draught) but also somewhat thin.

Drinkability: The metallic taste hurt the drinkability for me.

Serving type: nitro-tap

03-09-2003 20:16:46 | More by Denali
cokes

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

Mostly dark, dark brown. Actually a transparent ruby when viewed with a backing light. Thin but persistant tan dome.
Cola sweet and bready nose.
Bready intially. Pumpernickel loaf. Not much in way of roastiness, which earns this demerit points in my book. Yeastier and continually bready midsection. Vaguely smoky. Out of place sweetness. Not especially oaty (though oats are noticed, lightly), mostly just a slick and greasy cola sweetness with sassafras notes. Some chocolate notes pop up late just to prove that this is, in fact, a stout. Hop dryness at the end, but little associated flavor.
Oily in the mouth. Overly thin right away, but bolsters itself slightly as it sits.
I can't say I am too impressed here. It's lacking in several key catagories and has some odd (off?) flavors to boot. I'll pass.

09-27-2003 08:24:37 | More by cokes
BKotch

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

I understand that in London, you're either a Fuller's guy or a Young's guy. I guess I'm a Fuller's guy. This is not a bad stout, but it just seems rather thin. It pours a nice tan head, it has a great dark, almost black color, but the smell and flavor are a bit light. If I'm going to drink a Young's stout, I'll have their Double Chocolate Stout.

11-09-2001 14:19:41 | More by BKotch

Connecticut

01-09-2012 16:30:16 | More by JAHMUR
inbeertruth

2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Pours very dark, almost pitch black with a rust-colored head with PLENTY of lacing (My wife actually joked and said, “What are you drinking now? Soy sauce?).

B: Smell didn’t do much for me. Smelt musty (someone said something about foot odor), with the faint aroma of stale chocolate.

Taste: Dark, cocoa and coffee notes with malt.

MF: Very smooth and watery.

D: I don’t think I will be trying this again. I got the bottle at Spec’s for over three dollars, and at my dinner party tonight during cocktail hour, I ended up giving the rest of my pint to my mother-in-law who “doesn’t care for beer” but “liked whatever it was I was drinking,” after letting her try it. I wanted to try and find something for fall drinking, so it looks like I’ll have to keep looking. Then again, I’m not usually a stout drinker.

09-14-2007 03:31:03 | More by inbeertruth
Optimat0r

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

my first oatmeal stout. it poured dark and thick as hell, didnt notice the smell, didnt know what to expect tastewise but hoping for the best. i was greatly disappointed. compared to so many other dark beers its just so...bland. in fact it lives up to its name, it tastes like it was made out of plain oats. nothing was standout bad or anything, it just lacked the rich flavors and complexity of, say, a good dopplebock. i just dont see the advantage of drinking this one when theres so many more flavorful beers out there.
again theres nothing standout bad about it; if this is your thing im sure its a good one, but for me it was just extremely plain tasting.

01-29-2006 05:07:25 | More by Optimat0r
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love getting head like this. Big, bold beautiful head. The color of, well, oatmeal.

I'm not picking up too much of anything distinct in the nose. The label refers to a "fruity aroma," but I smell no such thing.

The taste is surprisingly disappointing. Just not a whole lot going on. Kind of mild and forgettable. It is smooth, though. I'll give it that. It gets a little better as it warms toward room temperature. I'm picking up a bit of a "toasty" finish now.

Mouthfeel is rather thin and disappointing as well. Not thick & chewy, which is how I like my oatmeal stouts.

I wouldnt want another of these, frankly because I wouldnt want to waste my time.

11-18-2005 00:29:32 | More by chOAKbarrell