Young's Oatmeal Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Oatmeal StoutYoung's Oatmeal Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: erz316 on 02-20-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Nice and creamy, but nothing special. Pours out black with a decent head. Real smooth and actually quite tastey. Mmmmmm oatmeal stout! This is a good beer, but there are better oatmeal stouts on the market. Magic Hat Heart Of Darkness is my favorite of the style.

scottum, Feb 03, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a black ruby color with a thick and creamy tan colored head that eventually fades into a heavy and sticky lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts, dark coffee, smoked wood, and licorice. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth with tastes of bitter chocolate, smoky charcoal, burnt coffee, and a touch of vanilla. Very little hop presence. A nice oatmeal stout, but nothing special.

Morris729, Jan 28, 2003

Oatmeal stouts are just plain good. Its like a meal and a drink all in one. This one is a bit thin compared to Rogue's Shakespeare, but is still quite good. Pours out to an almost black color in the glass with a very, quickly disappearing head. Taste is quite good, with a slight "oatmeal" sweetness and a decent roasted malt presence followed by a light dose of hops. Very drinkable.

proc, Jan 21, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

I found this stout to be a little bland compared to other oatmeal stouts I have tried recently. Maybe my tastebuds are just shot. I really like it overall though, the appearance is wonderfully dark, and I could definitely enjoy many in a row. I guess I just compare too many stouts to Sammy Smith's.

AudioGilz, Jan 15, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

I was turned on to this lovely brew when my wife returned from a business trip to Oxford, England. She came back raving about this oatmeal stout that she had there, and this is a lady who usually prefers beers no darker than a Sam Adams. When I found it at my local beer distributor, I had to try it, and was not disappointed. Until recently, they only carried the 20 oz. bottles, but today I saw it in a 16 oz. nitro can, and since I'm a sucker for a creamy head, I got some.

It pours very nicely, a full, creamy dark beige head, and below, a color as black as a black hole, pulling you closer with its gravitational force-"Drink me, drink me..."

It tastes of strong chocolate and coffee, and mayhaps a hint of licorice. The finish has a hint of grapefruit/citrus tang, which is mellowed out by the slightly sweet chocolate flavor. My current favorite quaff!

(Please be gentle, this is my 1st review!)

WaltTrombone, Jan 13, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

A jet black beer with lovely head that resembled the crema from espresso and a nose of a rich dark chocolate. A good flavor of coco, roasted malt and charred wood (adding a nice astringency) and loads of licorice.

A superbly creamy mouthfeel, though a tad thin.

A 500 ml bottle cost me 1100 yen (US $10)!!!

I tasted no sweet oatmeal. I too prefer the double chocolate stout and am distraught that I cannot buy it in Japan.

Naerhu, Jan 08, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Deep, dark brown, almost black with ruby highlights when held to light. The head is light brown and leaves a bit of lacing down the glass. There are roast malt aromas, with hints of coffee. In the flavor is a slight creaminess, with roast and coffee flavors. The bitterness is evident, but subdued by the malt flavors. A bit of warmth from the alcohol is also present. It is a smooth brew, but not like other Oatmeal stouts I have sampled. It is full-bodied, but the mouth-feel still seems a bit thin. Overall, a good beer, I would sample this one again.

BeerBuilder, Jan 06, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%

This stout from Young's was a slight disappointment for me. It was a fine brew but lacked a certain fullness that one looks for in this sort of beer. The bitterness was ample with tasty burnt flavors. The middle on the palate taste seemed weak. While it was a decent brew I much preferred the double chocolate version.

mrjimcat, Jan 01, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

This oatmeal stout pours just about perfectly, with a smooth creamy head from the nitro widget. It is a coal black beer, and topped with the neautiful atn head that doen not subside, it is nearly picture perfect. The aroma seems to suffer slightly in my experience with nitro cans, and this one reveals a faint malt aroma topped with a hint of hops and chocolate, but no more. The beer tastes terrific, with a smooth chocolate flavor atop a strong roasted malt base. The hops are well balanced and round out the flavor profile wonderfully. This has a very clean finish for a stout, almost too clean. Not much of the roasty flavor is left in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very smooth and refreshing for a stout, but lacks the chewiness many stouts present. This leads to a very superb drinkability, but not quite as much a memorable experience as many other stouts. A very good stout that may be the smoothest drinking example on the planet. Give me a sixer of these any day!

aaronh, Dec 09, 2002
4.3/5  rDev +8%

The nose on Young’s Oatmeal Stout is faint licorice, vanilla, and coco; tasty roasted malt and sweet oatmeal. The flavors were lovely with roasted malts meshing with sweet oatmeal, licorice, vanilla, and very faint charred wood. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel, filling yet soft; finishes somewhat dry. The tan head was lacking… the dark brown body was ideal. It’s drinkable to a fault; tasty… this is an outstanding Stout, it’s a real winner!

bditty187, Dec 09, 2002
4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

One of my favorite beers overall. Love the color, the taste, everything. Reminds me of why I love a good quality beer.
Personally, I like this one better than Samuel Smith's.

Peace, Love, and BEER

rockdick, Nov 18, 2002
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a uniformly dark tone with dark currant hints at the bottom of the glass. Fine, bronze head disapears rather quickly with minimal lace. First smell reminded me of merlot with its rich fruitiness. As the beer warmed, tones of chocolate and roasted grain were more prominent. Taste is smooth and surprisingly crisp--a traditional stout profile with less of the creamy fullness one often gets. That quality lends this beer a very nice mouthfeel and good drinkability.

BitteBier, Nov 01, 2002

Sampled with Neal's Mosul meat pies.
Pale brown head. Pretty sweet aromas of oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, macaroons, cigar smoke, and biscuits. Not so much creamy as it is silky and pliant. Nicely articulated coffee extract and Mediterranean spices on the finish. A great food/session beer.

putnam, Oct 15, 2002

Roasted oats; cocoa sweet malts. Fuggles and Goldings hops make for an intriguing elliptical balancing. Certainly, the malts are more assertive as would be expected, but this beer would be simple without the select hops to create subtle complexities. Soft burt persimmon dryness in the finish. Incredibly smooth and palatable. An intersting mix of nutty and fruity aromas. A fantastic stout. (for future reference; please dont sample this cold)

Jordan, Oct 04, 2002

A deep dark pour, almost black, with a nice tan head in the beginning, that fades slowly. A little lace, but not much. The smell of chocolate is predominate, over roasted malt, coffee, maybe a little toffee, or caramel? A little more bite than the double chocolate, creamy, but with a lightly noticeable hop finish. I've been on a stout kick lately, and this is a good one.

HopheadEd, Sep 21, 2002
4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I'll admit that I am a young beer advocate and have not yet much explored the world of stouts, but this seems to be a great start. I really enjoyed this beer from the very first sip. Wonderful color. It's very dark and full bodied. Its smooth and hearty. Of course I have no prior frame of reference but this seems to be an excellant oatmeal stout. I might even have to replace my usual bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with this. Just kidding.

tang214, Sep 15, 2002
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Extremely dark, no light come through it at all. Dense tan head and generous lace rings. Roasted aroma with hints of coffee, chocalate, caramel, and vanilla. Wow! Very smooth and creamy. Rich malt taste along and finishes with a coffee flavor. Excellent mouthfeel and not too heavy. More drinkable then some other stouts. A solid brew.

Lupe, Sep 13, 2002
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

This poured a lovely dark, dark brown and held the head for a nice long time (not that long - drank it rather quickly). It's beyond me how this can be such a sweet taste yet have that hops bitterness that I adore. Each sip brought out a different nuance - caramel, coffee... Just pure yummy.

MTMugs, Jul 21, 2002
4.22/5  rDev +6%

Dig the oatmeal stout. Nearly black with a brown, foamy head that evenly covers across its top. Smooth roasted malts and rich grains along with a shade of alcohol. Great roasted and caramel malts with an oaty sweetness, only a mere shade of bitterness. Very smooth medium body with a sharp bite.

Who wants a nasty dry stout when you have deleicious (and nutritious?) oatmeal? A solid oatmeal stout. Cheers!

BillyBrew, Jul 17, 2002
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Superb! I can consume my weight in this stuff...just don't ask me any questions that require logic after I do it. This brew pours a dark coffee color with a full 3 finger head that hangs in there quite nicely. The smell is that of a hoppy beer althought the hops are balanced superbly in the taste. Possibly hints of slight coffee tones and creamy throughout the taste and the mouthfeel. Did I mention that this is good stuff? CHEERS, dudes!

BeerAngel, Jul 08, 2002
4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Presentation: 16.9 oz brown bottle with the Ram Brewery emblem right below the neck. “Best Before End” freshness date on the back label.

Appearance: Nice lather of tan bubbles that hug to the inside of the glass, this is one dark brew as no light can be seen through the pitch black colour.

Smell: Faint liquorice root, vague vanilla, sweet creamed coffee and a ghost like charred smokiness in the aroma from the roasted malts and oatmeal.

Taste: So damn smooth with a creamy back, the soft carbonation literally curls around the tongue and caresses it showing an out standing mouth feel. A push of mild charcoal with a touch of smokiness, hints of dark chocolate and suggestions of vanilla is a result of roasted malts and the malt and oat sweetness. Hops a light but pitch in to balance the brew out. Slight puckering from the dry roasted malt character that throws some easygoing burnt flavours as well as a trace coffee. Semi dry finish lingers long with light roasted tones.

Notes: A top notch oatmeal stout, not so heavy to take away from the drinkability and does not lack in flavour or complexity. One of my favourite beers from Young’s and one I frequent when I am looking for a full flavoured stout.

Jason, Jul 04, 2002
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

A very satisfying and robust stout. The aroma is the forst thing that grabs me...a very roasty-malty kind of thing. Thsi si a good knife-and-fork beer - the beer that drinks like a meal. One of the best British stouts I have tried!

goindownsouth, Jun 29, 2002
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Pours very dark brown/black with thick tan head. Rich dark malt give a pleasant roasted smokey aroma. Taste is full and rich with a slightly toasted taste, almost burnt, but not in a negative way. Nicely bitter with a full alcohol flavor. Finishes slightly dry and mouth biting.

psugrad98, Jun 27, 2002

Solidly good beer, but not exceptional. Pours nearly black with a medium, tan-colored head. Head quickly fades. It's well balanced with medium body. Roasted malts stand out in flavor, with hints of sweetness.

Suds, Jun 09, 2002
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Okay, the color is very dark, with a slight maroon hue. The head is a medium tan color. The body is lighter than I prefer on this style. I like the taste, but still doesn't beat Samuel Smith or more my local favorite Barley's. Worth checking out, though.

Wildman, Jun 01, 2002