Young's Oatmeal Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Oatmeal StoutYoung's Oatmeal Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: erz316 on 02-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Presentation. 16.9 ounce bottle, Best Before End Date FEB 03. Pours like motor oil struggling to get out of the bottle, black as night, thin foamy head, clinging in massive patches throughout. Initial smell is of bread and licorice, quite pleasant. Strong taste of caramel up front with a nice twang of smokiness left resting on the palate; followed by somewhat of a sweet barley sensation. My only comment is the label states a distinctive finish reminiscent of toast; just didn?t finish that way for me, still outstanding, a quite drinkable stout.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

This stout poured out a deep brown/black with a great tan head. I pour it aggressively to enjoy the head forming in the dark liquid. The aroma and taste both were good but not outstanding. The presense of malt dominated both. The mouthfeel was creamy and exellent. The feel of the beer covered the tongue and was the fullest of any beer I have had in quite some time. This is a classic oatmeal stout and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to understand what an oatmeal stout SHOULD taste like.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Black in color with a faint brownish hue near the bottom of the pint. The nitro-induced head is full, very creamy appearance and tan in color. The head retention is excellent with very good lacing. The aroma provides a hint of fruitiness and caramel maltiness.The taste is noticeably smooth and silky mouthfeel which is primarily provided by the nitro-induced carbination. The flavor is of a delicate fruity, caramel malt with some distinctive vanilla overtones. A subtle milk chocolate matliness and an underlying hop bitterness is also apparent. The finish is soft, with an underlying bittersweet chocolate roastiness. Even with the artifically induced, nitro-carbonation, it may have smooth, soft mouthfeel, but appears a little thin in texture than other stouts. I still found it to be a very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

3.7/5  rDev -7%

Black in color , I can see through the glass when held up to the light, has a creamy tan head. Chocolate and light burnt coffee aromas. Dark roasty- sweet chocolate flavor, nice soft and creamy mouthfeel, it is a decent oatmeal stout, very drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich dark garnet...bordering on black, but light does get all the way through.

Exceptionally retentive head, took several minutes to settle to a thick layer of lacing.

Smells mildly of roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is far too subtle to merit a 4. A reserved roasted malt flavor with unusually low bitterness, and a hint of smoke. Very smooth, but I've had locally brewed oatmeal stout that was both smooth AND full-flavored. Maybe this brewery's water is very soft..it tasted like reverse-osmosis water that someone had steeped malt in. Faintly sweet, but dare I say watery.

A bit of a disappointment; although it was smooth and drinkable, I need stout to have a bit of oomph in it. This dry brit seemed bored and distant, and I won't be seeing her again.

4.18/5  rDev +5%

Being a big fan of Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout I thought I'd give their oatmeal stout a try. This beer pours black with a thick creamy foam head the color of coffee ice cream. When held to the light you can see some ruby red colors in the beer. The aroma is faint and smells of malts and chocolate. Each sip of this full bodied creamy beer has a taste of roasted malts and chocolate. It almost reminds me of a mild version of the chocolate stout, but has characteristics more like Guinness. There is a very mild bitter aftertaste.

I found this beer to be very drinkable and quite tasty. However, I think I was looking for more malty and oat flavors than what I found.

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Youngs Oatmeal Stout: in the half liter brown bottle. Great looking black beer, tan head with a tremendous amount of staying power. Very light chocolate aroma, but noticeable. Taste is very nice, mouthfeel is smooth, and it seems easy to drink. What’s the problem then? Well it’s a good oatmeal stout, very much middle of the road, but there is lots better. Average.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), 2-3 weeks in my fridge, poured 45F, reviewed 45F-65F.

The head is light cream/tan, almost a little grayish. It's fairly dense and leaves spotty lacing. The beer itself is solid black.

The nose is fruity with hints of coffee and a slight sourness. The front is toffee, with chocolate kicking in as the beer warms up. The middle is sweet and milky and again, chocolate is more noticeable at higher temps. The finish is mildly bitter and slightly sour.

This is a good beer, but not my favorite oatmeal stout. I find both Samuel Smith and St. Ambroise more interesting, more full-bodied and just plain better tasting.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Black with ruby red highlights and a nice creamy brown head. Light roasty aroma. Burnt roasty malt flavor. Medium bodied with a light alcohol finish.

I prefer this English Oatmeal Stout over Samuel Smith's but neither are really robust enough for my tastes... prefer the American versions if given a choice.

Freshness date did not appear to make a difference when tasted new or old.

(16.9 oz)

Best Before: 11/02 Tasted: 01/26/03
Best Before: 05/03 Tasted: 01/26/03

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Nice and creamy, but nothing special. Pours out black with a decent head. Real smooth and actually quite tastey. Mmmmmm oatmeal stout! This is a good beer, but there are better oatmeal stouts on the market. Magic Hat Heart Of Darkness is my favorite of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a black ruby color with a thick and creamy tan colored head that eventually fades into a heavy and sticky lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts, dark coffee, smoked wood, and licorice. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth with tastes of bitter chocolate, smoky charcoal, burnt coffee, and a touch of vanilla. Very little hop presence. A nice oatmeal stout, but nothing special.

Oatmeal stouts are just plain good. Its like a meal and a drink all in one. This one is a bit thin compared to Rogue's Shakespeare, but is still quite good. Pours out to an almost black color in the glass with a very, quickly disappearing head. Taste is quite good, with a slight "oatmeal" sweetness and a decent roasted malt presence followed by a light dose of hops. Very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this stout to be a little bland compared to other oatmeal stouts I have tried recently. Maybe my tastebuds are just shot. I really like it overall though, the appearance is wonderfully dark, and I could definitely enjoy many in a row. I guess I just compare too many stouts to Sammy Smith's.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was turned on to this lovely brew when my wife returned from a business trip to Oxford, England. She came back raving about this oatmeal stout that she had there, and this is a lady who usually prefers beers no darker than a Sam Adams. When I found it at my local beer distributor, I had to try it, and was not disappointed. Until recently, they only carried the 20 oz. bottles, but today I saw it in a 16 oz. nitro can, and since I'm a sucker for a creamy head, I got some.

It pours very nicely, a full, creamy dark beige head, and below, a color as black as a black hole, pulling you closer with its gravitational force-"Drink me, drink me..."

It tastes of strong chocolate and coffee, and mayhaps a hint of licorice. The finish has a hint of grapefruit/citrus tang, which is mellowed out by the slightly sweet chocolate flavor. My current favorite quaff!

(Please be gentle, this is my 1st review!)

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

A jet black beer with lovely head that resembled the crema from espresso and a nose of a rich dark chocolate. A good flavor of coco, roasted malt and charred wood (adding a nice astringency) and loads of licorice.

A superbly creamy mouthfeel, though a tad thin.

A 500 ml bottle cost me 1100 yen (US $10)!!!

I tasted no sweet oatmeal. I too prefer the double chocolate stout and am distraught that I cannot buy it in Japan.

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Deep, dark brown, almost black with ruby highlights when held to light. The head is light brown and leaves a bit of lacing down the glass. There are roast malt aromas, with hints of coffee. In the flavor is a slight creaminess, with roast and coffee flavors. The bitterness is evident, but subdued by the malt flavors. A bit of warmth from the alcohol is also present. It is a smooth brew, but not like other Oatmeal stouts I have sampled. It is full-bodied, but the mouth-feel still seems a bit thin. Overall, a good beer, I would sample this one again.

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This stout from Young's was a slight disappointment for me. It was a fine brew but lacked a certain fullness that one looks for in this sort of beer. The bitterness was ample with tasty burnt flavors. The middle on the palate taste seemed weak. While it was a decent brew I much preferred the double chocolate version.

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

This oatmeal stout pours just about perfectly, with a smooth creamy head from the nitro widget. It is a coal black beer, and topped with the neautiful atn head that doen not subside, it is nearly picture perfect. The aroma seems to suffer slightly in my experience with nitro cans, and this one reveals a faint malt aroma topped with a hint of hops and chocolate, but no more. The beer tastes terrific, with a smooth chocolate flavor atop a strong roasted malt base. The hops are well balanced and round out the flavor profile wonderfully. This has a very clean finish for a stout, almost too clean. Not much of the roasty flavor is left in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very smooth and refreshing for a stout, but lacks the chewiness many stouts present. This leads to a very superb drinkability, but not quite as much a memorable experience as many other stouts. A very good stout that may be the smoothest drinking example on the planet. Give me a sixer of these any day!

4.3/5  rDev +8%

The nose on Young’s Oatmeal Stout is faint licorice, vanilla, and coco; tasty roasted malt and sweet oatmeal. The flavors were lovely with roasted malts meshing with sweet oatmeal, licorice, vanilla, and very faint charred wood. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel, filling yet soft; finishes somewhat dry. The tan head was lacking… the dark brown body was ideal. It’s drinkable to a fault; tasty… this is an outstanding Stout, it’s a real winner!

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of my favorite beers overall. Love the color, the taste, everything. Reminds me of why I love a good quality beer.
Personally, I like this one better than Samuel Smith's.

Peace, Love, and BEER

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a uniformly dark tone with dark currant hints at the bottom of the glass. Fine, bronze head disapears rather quickly with minimal lace. First smell reminded me of merlot with its rich fruitiness. As the beer warmed, tones of chocolate and roasted grain were more prominent. Taste is smooth and surprisingly crisp--a traditional stout profile with less of the creamy fullness one often gets. That quality lends this beer a very nice mouthfeel and good drinkability.

Sampled with Neal's Mosul meat pies.
Pale brown head. Pretty sweet aromas of oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, macaroons, cigar smoke, and biscuits. Not so much creamy as it is silky and pliant. Nicely articulated coffee extract and Mediterranean spices on the finish. A great food/session beer.

Roasted oats; cocoa sweet malts. Fuggles and Goldings hops make for an intriguing elliptical balancing. Certainly, the malts are more assertive as would be expected, but this beer would be simple without the select hops to create subtle complexities. Soft burt persimmon dryness in the finish. Incredibly smooth and palatable. An intersting mix of nutty and fruity aromas. A fantastic stout. (for future reference; please dont sample this cold)

A deep dark pour, almost black, with a nice tan head in the beginning, that fades slowly. A little lace, but not much. The smell of chocolate is predominate, over roasted malt, coffee, maybe a little toffee, or caramel? A little more bite than the double chocolate, creamy, but with a lightly noticeable hop finish. I've been on a stout kick lately, and this is a good one.

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I'll admit that I am a young beer advocate and have not yet much explored the world of stouts, but this seems to be a great start. I really enjoyed this beer from the very first sip. Wonderful color. It's very dark and full bodied. Its smooth and hearty. Of course I have no prior frame of reference but this seems to be an excellant oatmeal stout. I might even have to replace my usual bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with this. Just kidding.

Young's Oatmeal Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd