Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 2,755 | Reviews: 888
3.44/5  rDev -2%

This was nice to try, but not my cup of tea.

4.27/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer! The banana flavor is there, but it is very subtle. Overall the beer is very crisp and refreshing. A perfect summer day brew

4.81/5  rDev +37%

They nailed it with the banana bread taste without being too sweet. Great for the pool bar!

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Tastes like what it says it is. Couldn't drink it all night but its a good mid reliever.

2.52/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tastes just like banana nut bread at first. Then it also tastes like club soda. Thin, sometimes fizzy, empty, or diety seeming beer. You do get that quick initial taste of banana nut bread, but I would call it a lightweight banana nut bread wine cooler more than anything. Really, not that impressive.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer awhile back and it was accurately reminiscent of a legit banana bread fresh out of the oven and I would have given it a 5 but this last bottle I got didn't taste anything like that. It was lacking in flavor. Pretty disappointed.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Not bad but nothing I would get again. I couldn't find myself drinking more than one of these.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

definitely tastes like banana bread! that being said, it didn't blow me away. definitely a novelty beer that's worth a try, but I don't see myself purchasing it again.

4.28/5  rDev +21.9%

Sneezed after imbibing. Made it taste better. What if you were baking inside an oven with a loaf of banana bread. How hot would that be?

look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Banana and yeasty goodness. What's not to like? A definite must try.

2.48/5  rDev -29.3%

Only beer I ever drain-poured in a bar. Banana flavor was overpowering and artificial tasting.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Great novelty beer, but not an everyday drink.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L- Light Amber, WHite head fades to a light brown lasting head
S- toasty malt, banana,
T/F- like a fake banana extract, light body, thin even
O- Was not impressed, taste was okm lack anything powerful, can say ive had but would not again.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Loved the first taste on my tongue, definitely got the sweet banana almost like a runts candy. But something about the after taste didn't sit well with me. Not terrible but wouldn't drink without some food in front of me.

4.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love banana nut bread so this is a hit for me!

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tastes like the banana runts candy. I like this more than most people do.

2.27/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

Not a great beer. Think I like the bread much better

4.97/5  rDev +41.6%

INCREDIBLE BEER, try it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pours a nice clear brownish orange with a thin white head that slowly dissipates. Smell banana, strawberries, and nuts. Taste is banana bread like with some indiscernible nut flavor, strawberry, and lemon. Overall a very easy drinking light and crisp beer, would buy again.

4.85/5  rDev +38.2%

Always a taste bud pleaser!

1.88/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Tastes like super sweet fake banana extract mixed with malt

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

just banana flavor added to adjuct beer, not much "bread" flavor or feel (or smell).
tastes like a cheap Hefe, without the mouthfeel or the punch.
tried this like 3 years ago before my beer palette grew up, now it strikes me as gimmicky and fake-ish banana flavored New Castle.
might try the Sticky Toffee Pudding one they have, but I'll steer clear from this again.

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Good but not a repeater for me. Looked so good.

4.63/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Good mix of banana and beer flavored can be a little dry

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked a bottle of Wells & Young's Banana Bread Beer last week for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. For some reason I've never tried this beer and I thought I would put an end to that and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown pint bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a clear light amber color that took on more of redish amber color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the banana yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a nice natural banana flavor that's followed by the malts which impart a sweet malt, light toasted and bready aromas. Towards the ends comes just a slight nutty aroma. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, it did remind of Banana bread a little.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the banana yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same natural banana aspect. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects with the sweet and bready malts sticking out the most with just a slight nutty flavor showing up in the background. On the finish there's not bitterness with a little sweetness taking it's place and it had slightly watery aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, the flavor also a little similar to banana bread.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little watery, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, I wish it was thicker and creamy.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it did live up to it's name when it came to tasting similar to banana bread, but this beer begs for a thicker and creamier mouthfeel to support those flavors. This beer had ok drinkability, one bottle would be my limit, since the mouthfeel would really wear on me. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the mouthfeel, it was just ok and it needed some work. I don't think it would get this beer again, but if I was in the mood for it I might get it. I would recommend it if you want a lighter beer that tastes similar to banana bread. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but it's far from a favorite, but I think it could have some potential if they worked on the mouthfeel. It's not my favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a favorite of the style. I didn't this beer, but I think with a little more work it could be pretty good.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd