Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 844 | Hads: 2,829
Reviews by chOAKbarrell:
2.43/5  rDev -30.6%

Saw this one in Rehoboth Beach; the label and name immediately stood out to me and I just had to grab it. Nice large 19oz bottle. It smells candy-ish...I wouldn't really say artificial, but the scent reminds me of banana flavored candy, like a now & later. The taste is kind of odd, and maybe a little disappointing. Hearing the name, you would think "hefeweizen" but its really not. The banana flavor isn't really all that pronounced (nothing like say, a Weinstephaner), and it quickly vanishes to reveal a bland, almost flat lager flavor underneath. Finishes watery and forgettable, and not that clean. On a positive note, this brewery uses its own well water for brewing, and fair-trade bananas are used in the brewing process.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked a bottle of Wells & Young's Banana Bread Beer last week for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. For some reason I've never tried this beer and I thought I would put an end to that and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown pint bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a clear light amber color that took on more of redish amber color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the banana yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a nice natural banana flavor that's followed by the malts which impart a sweet malt, light toasted and bready aromas. Towards the ends comes just a slight nutty aroma. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, it did remind of Banana bread a little.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the banana yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same natural banana aspect. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects with the sweet and bready malts sticking out the most with just a slight nutty flavor showing up in the background. On the finish there's not bitterness with a little sweetness taking it's place and it had slightly watery aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, the flavor also a little similar to banana bread.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little watery, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, I wish it was thicker and creamy.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it did live up to it's name when it came to tasting similar to banana bread, but this beer begs for a thicker and creamier mouthfeel to support those flavors. This beer had ok drinkability, one bottle would be my limit, since the mouthfeel would really wear on me. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the mouthfeel, it was just ok and it needed some work. I don't think it would get this beer again, but if I was in the mood for it I might get it. I would recommend it if you want a lighter beer that tastes similar to banana bread. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but it's far from a favorite, but I think it could have some potential if they worked on the mouthfeel. It's not my favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a favorite of the style. I didn't this beer, but I think with a little more work it could be pretty good.

3.74/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was very leary about this one but part of me was compelled to try it. I must say, it's not that bad. Poured it into your normal pint glass. The color is golden brown. Nice smell & taste of fresh bananas. The wheat taste wasn't overpowering. Only downside was it didn't keep its chill very long (could have been the person's fridge I was using). That part messed with the taste. I would try another & recommend this to a friend.

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

Serving style : 11.2 oz glass bottle poured for appearance and such

Appearance (3) : Rich, bready looking 2 finger head. Copper, amber hues with low transparency. Good.

Smell (2.5) : Exactly like a banana "runt" (you know the candy we ate as kids?). A little malt. Little else.

Taste (3.25) : A little harsh off the bat with some sour malts, but then the banana flavor comes in ever so slightly and tricks your tongue into believing it's a banana (or a banana runt). The rest of the flavors are mixed in so well but they blend excellent. Smooth and tasty. I'm getting faint monkey bread. Some sour mash. Banana. Cracked barley notes trail off (I'm stretching here).

Mouthfeel (3) : Sharp carbonation with a wet feel. Smooth however a bit one-dimensional. Ends minimalistic and average - but easy drinking.

Overall (2.93) : I would call this a wheat lager with banana notes. The nose is the strongest part of this "banana" beer. It doesn't taste like banana bread, and it doesn't feel like a craft so to speak. It's a notch above the macros and it's pretty decent, but if they marketed it under a wheat beer with banana notes and put it in 12-pack cases I'd be more excited about it (and probably by hype I'd give it a 3.5 or more). If you're expecting banana bread, just buy a loaf instead (or get your mama to make you one). It's probably as close as any brewer has come to it, but it's a far cry from a delicious treat.

4.42/5  rDev +26.3%

Exactly what should be expected when getting a flavored beer. Very good.

4.12/5  rDev +17.7%

Exactly what you want from a flavoured beer

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Sweet mellow mart profile with ripe banana flavor, laffy taffy, some bready malt notes.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Undated bottle at Rachel’s Roadhouse into a frosted glass (That’s all we have)
Aroma of banana, doesn’t get stronger as it warms up
Head small (two cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and a few small islands of froth
Lacing – none
Body amber-orange, clear
Flavor initially very strong of over-ripe bananas with a solvent after taste. As it warms, the banana flavor drops to a tolerable level and the after taste lessens. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a light brown, mellow amber color with a lot of clarity and not much head to speak of. The initial nose is mostly some malt, a bit of yeast, and a touch of hops. You really have to make sure your sniffer is on the top of your game to smell that banana bread. I sat for a while and let the beer warm up a little bit, and the banana bread finally came out, but it was still very faint on the nose. The taste followed in a similar fashion, with a nice "amber ale" flavor up front with malts and a bit of yeast, not much of a hop flavor at all, bitterness very low. Upon swallowing the beer and smacking your tongue off the roof of your mouth, the banana bread is present and apparent, albeit faint. I can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't like when fruit beers overpower the beer with too much fruit flavor, but this one is actually a bit underdone, where you're really struggling to find the banana bread. When you taste it, it's very good, but you'll really have to try. Body is very thin and contains a medium-high amount of carbonation.

Not a bad brew, easy to drink and could be sessionable if they sold it in six-packs. Just wish the banana bread taste was a bit more apparent, because it's quite good when you finally taste it.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Pale brown with orange hues. A small white head that settles just a little too fast.

S: Plenty of banana, but the flavor is not as artificial and candy-like that I had suspected. They are actually quite restrained and they have at least some resemblance of real bananas. Still, it's a rather sweet smell and there are some notes of soft banana candy. Some fudge, white bread and a hint of grassy hops. All in all, it's a rather weak and quite pointless smell, and the flavors don't mix that well.

T: Again, mostly bananas. But the flavors are not very strong. The banana flavors are mostly of real bananas, but some notes of soft banana candy are here as well. However, despite the somewhat genuine character of the banana flavors, they are still not very tasty. In general, the taste is rather sweet. Fairly decent bready notes, fragile and anonymous hints of earth, carrots and hops. In the finish there is a mild bitterness that makes the taste just a little more interesting, but it's still rather boring. Some mineral notes and banana cream towards the finish.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, noting more.

D: This is not a good beer, but still not as horrible as I had suspected. Don't know if a banana infused English ale is a good idea what so ever, so I think this one was doomed to fail no matter what it tasted like. Can't say I would recommend it.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

2.87/5  rDev -18%

Shared a pint with a buddy. We have been thinking about adding some banana flavors into one of our homebrews and thought we'd give this one a try. Amber/copper pour with decent head that came down quickly. Smell was overwhelming banana but did have some nuttiness. It did smell like Banana bread. Tasted of bready malt and banana but had an undercurrent of medicinal slightly astringent flavors. Seemed good at first, but as it warmed, it became more medicinal and less drinkable. I didn't end up finishing my half of the pint. My buddy thought a little more of it than I did.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.52/5  rDev +0.6%

3.17/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Clear golden amber, with moderate carbonation, white head that quickly fades to a covering.

S - Sweet caramel malt, a light breadiness, and fruity esters with a prominent banana aroma. A bit strange but they actually nailed it.

T - Here is where things break down a bit. The light malt is nice as it the subtle hint of lightly toasted malt. The problem is the nice banana aroma becomes an artificial taste. Perhaps they didn't add any artificial flavoring (fairly certain they do) but there is a metallic twang, coupled with a light hop bitterness just makes it taste artificial.

M - Call yourself a bread beer and mention that beer was known as liquid bread I expect a hearty body. This is a light body refreshing beer, but not reflective of what it should be.

O - Although it should probably be a 3.0, it gets half a bonus point for being so different. Won't have it again, but don't regret trying it and I think any beer drinking should.

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Purchased from Otto's Wine Cask in Brown Deer, WI. Pours a dark golden body with a white head of foam that falls. Aromas of bold, fruity esters and big banana smell too. Medium bodied with good carbonation and a nice malt flavor to compliment the banana flavors. This is pretty good at first, but the novelty wears off about half way through. Too much banana flavor leaves me wanting to switch to a beer that tastes like a beer.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%