2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Ratings: 2016

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,016 | Reviews: 780 | Show All Ratings:
mreimer

Idaho

Poured into a pint glass at room temperature this beer started with a thick foamy white head that dissipated with the first sip

Smell: Floral/bananas

Taste: Slight spice/bananas!

I am a huge fan of banana beers and this one rocked my world. I had first discovered the world of banana beer through a much more subtle beer called El Jefe Weizen Ale of Hale's Ales. I recently went to my co-op and couldn't find El Jefe so I tried this beer and I now prefer it.

05-25-2010 23:31:43 | More by mreimer
Nuixx

I went out to the beer store to try out something new that I had never tried before. I didn't know what to expect when I bought this beer, but I was surprised at how great it tasted. If you ever want to try something different that is enjoyable, give this beer a chance!!!

02-27-2011 00:37:11 | More by Nuixx
aprila220

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this beer...the aroma, the taste, ahhhh...I love anything banana and banana nut bread is one of my favorite desserts so imagine how excited I was when I saw this on a local pub's beer list. It met every expectation I would have of a banana bread flavored beer. Did not disappoint at all! Not overly fruity or sweet, but it is a dessert like beer. It was nothing short of fabulous!

04-16-2012 01:49:50 | More by aprila220
08Deltadawn8

Georgia

this was a very good beer. the pour was perfect and the head was great! the color is almost a caramel/oak color and the smell is that of bananas, caramel, sugar, and nuts. the mouthfeel is nice and smooth, this beer will leave you wanting more. the first sip is full of banana flavor. i would reccomend this beer to anyone that wanted something different.

11-12-2012 18:53:25 | More by 08Deltadawn8
BhamBeerLover

4.98/5  rDev +43.1%

F***ING BANANA BREAD!!! THIS S*** IS BANANAS!!! B.A.N.A.N.A.S. Great specialty beer. While not my kind of beer I would certainly consider buting again if in the mood for some liquid dessert! Just goes to show that sweet done right can still please a hophead.

10-20-2012 01:33:26 | More by BhamBeerLover
wac9

4.95/5  rDev +42.2%

its banana bred beer in a glass nothing more either you like it or hate i think its perfect taste just like a banana bread i giggle its so good if you like banna bread drink tis beer nothing more to say they capture wht they were going for nothing needs to be said enjoy the berr yes or no i love it so enjoy

06-09-2013 03:32:05 | More by wac9
tj4288

4.93/5  rDev +41.7%

poured from a bottle into a weizen glass

i had very low expectations for this beer but i was plesantly surprised. i have tried other "fruit" beers before and this one is in a league of its own. as the name states... this beer does not just smell like banana, but it smells EXACTLY like banana BREAD. the banana taste was not overpowering. beautiful color and good appearance (head disapated quickly). i could drink a bunch of these and i will definatly buy this beer again!!!

05-17-2009 04:29:35 | More by tj4288
anakar

Israel

4.9/5  rDev +40.8%

Maybe because it's the first time I've tried anything like it, this beer felt fresh and refreshing (which are two different things)
The banana flavor was superb, both felt and unintruding to the beer. Superb

App - It poured a clear golden-brown color, kinda like a brown ale, but very clear. Practically no head, but what was there left some nice lacing

Smell - 5, and an easy 5. The fresh smell of banana and beer makes you wanna chug the thing down in a gulp and ask for seconds. Clear and clean, fresh bread smell behind the fruit

Taste - Keeping with the smell, you feel the banana immedietly, but the taste of fresh bread and solid english brown ale comes with it. Great initial, main and aftertaste to this one

Feel - Smooth, not a lot of carb. Again this one keeps with the traditional English Brown. You can have quite a few and not feel heavy.

Overall - If you see this in the supermarket, don't buy just one to sample, buy at least 2 because you're gonna want another.

01-09-2012 10:56:39 | More by anakar
davednyc

4.88/5  rDev +40.2%

I don't really go in for fruit-flavored beers, but I had wanted to try this one for a while. Even if the label had merely said "Beer", without the eye-catching "Banana Bread" I would enjoy and recomend this one. The fruit flavors are far from overwhelming, to the point that if somebody were looking for a sweet beer they may be disappointed.

Pours from the bottle into a glass with a deep copper color, with little head. A distinct banana aroma, yet subtle enough that I may not be able to properly identify it if I didn't know what I was looking for. Bold flavor - once again the banana is there, but takes a supporting role.

A bit pricey in NYC at $5.99 for a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, but I will definitely return to this again and again, perhaps savoring it just for 'special' occsasions.

12-28-2010 18:55:24 | More by davednyc
gbarbee

4.83/5  rDev +38.8%

Appearance: Light, blonde, and clear.
Smell: Clean, crisp with a hint of banana.
Taste: Light taste, easy on the palate. Slight hint of banana without the sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and light
Drinkability: Nice beer that has a hint of banana bread. Very easy to drink and goes down smooth.

09-19-2011 00:22:24 | More by gbarbee
csrbv

4.83/5  rDev +38.8%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it, Since I enjoy banana bread I think this beer is delicious. This beer delivers on the promise of its name!

11-09-2012 18:04:43 | More by csrbv
pjkelley82

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color to beer.. about a half inch of off white/antique white head. Good bubbles but head did not stick around long. By the way... I smell the banns already. Very nice lacing.

Smell was what the bottle says. Banana.. a little spice and hops somewhere but overall is banana..

The first thing I noticed in the taste was the overall beer and malt taste. The banana came immediately following it but crept up. Nice hoppy/spice taste towards the end but the banana is all there but more or less gets stronger... than weaker in the taste. Beautifully balanced. The banana is not an artificial banana taste... but not a smoothie/100%banana from the farm taste either. It's sorta on it's own but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and medium to full bodied.. good amount of malt. nice crisp finish with a smooth pleasant banana malt aftertaste. It says on the label that ale's used to be called bread beers because they were considered meals in a bottle. Well that's how this beer felt.

Overall I would say this is an excellent beer. Fans of banana flavor should definitely seek this out. I do recommend this beer to people and is the perfect beer to sit around with and you could drink it for hours.

06-19-2013 21:34:33 | More by pjkelley82
PBelt71

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer of all time, but I don't drink it as often as I would like, so when I do, it is a real treat. The appearance, smell and taste are incredible. It is a perfect blend of beer, banana and spices, and has perfect carbonation. Highly recommended! Give it a try.

08-16-2013 22:33:52 | More by PBelt71
Deanosaurus

Missouri

4.74/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at a bar called Myngle in Lee's Summit, MO. First thing I noted was that the bottle was large (1-pint) and nicely shaped. The extra beer gave me a real chance to experience the texture and taste individually. I like a beer I can chew, so this flavorful liquid is right up my alley.

- Appearance (4.5/5)
It had a nice copper tone to it that wasn't too vibrant. It looked warm, even in the blue lighting under the bar adjacent to our table.

- Smell (4.75/5)
Bananas. Literally. You may as well have opened a banana right in front of my face and torn it to shreds. And it was a real aroma too, not a fabricated scent like they put in candy. Which leads into...

- Taste (4.75/5)
The taste was the most accurate to the smell I have ever experienced. You know how when you smell coffee it smells robust and amazing, and then a majority of them taste bitter or sour? Sometimes beer can be like that too. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE that. It's the reason I am such a huge fan of IPAs) But this beer was the exact opposite. It hits initially with the alcohol and taste that a fermented liquid should carry then quickly melts back into a savor banana (and bread) flavor.

- Mouthfeel (4.75/5)
The most interesting thing I have to say about this beer is the mouth feel. As previously stated, I like a beer I can chew. When you consider bread you typically think of a chewy soft substance and this beer had it. It is key to not that the beer is called "Wells Banana BREAD Beer", not "Wells Banana Beer". I worried when I ordered it that it would be all banana and no bread. This was not the case. The yeast they chose for fermenting naturally fills in that flavor for you and they did a great job and balancing the warming sensation of bread with the banana flavoring to make an equal and robust experience.

- Overall (4.75/5)
Great experience all around. The only thing that would make it better is if it were served with a warm slice of its namesake.

10-18-2013 14:32:01 | More by Deanosaurus
Mavigo

4.73/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love banana bread so I had high expectations... and they were met. Poured in a pint.

A: pours a honey- amber color, with a half inch tan head with minimal lacing.

S: Can smell hops and banana bread, making me happy.

T: Boom goes the dynamite. Scrumptious. First begins with the hop flavor followed immediately by straight up banana bread, as if you just took a bite. I wish i had some banana bread to go with this.

M: Very crisp, much carbonation, very light

O: Despite what everyone else has said, If you're a fan of banana bread, this beer is up your alley. Its light, refreshing, easy going and with great taste. Try it.

09-28-2012 02:39:28 | More by Mavigo
JayS2629

Alabama

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

A- Clear copper with creamy frothy head and nice retention. Spiderweb lacing.

S- Banana bread? Definite banana and yeast, baked bready tones with some toasted scents. A little spice.

T- Rich, deep and strong ripe banana througout. Nice notes of chai spice. Baked bread taste. nutty tones. Spice cake. Hops and hints of vanilla and rum.

M- Moist bread with a medium body. Light cream.

D- Very delicious. Complex and deep with nutty flavors dominate. Rich and hints of spice. Very nice. Slight hops and well balanced. Vanilla tones set this one off from the regular.

11-14-2010 05:12:28 | More by JayS2629
MNFirefly

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

I love this beer and completely satisfied with my selection. I was completely love the smell and aroma of the beer and reminds me of banana bread. The clear color is beautiful. The pour of the beer into the glass was smooth. The mouthfeel was smooth.

12-12-2010 03:03:31 | More by MNFirefly
kstbeer

4.7/5  rDev +35.1%

I absolutely love this beer, I have never seen or even heard of a banana beer so I had to try it. In my opinion it has a mildly average taste of banana..which is just enough. Its light, has a very nice color and aroma. I bought two, one to drink and one to store. I really wish i know more about banana beers and what kind of hops and grains goes into this Wells beer. any feedback would be great!

09-09-2010 19:01:19 | More by kstbeer
hdofu

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +35.1%

This beer is amazing. Its a little sweet, smooth tastes like bananas but not to the degree that it's unpleasent as it finishes with a wheat taste. I can't overemphasize how smooth this beer is, the low alcohol isn't even detectable and overall I find it about as drinkable as beers can come.

12-02-2010 01:10:59 | More by hdofu
IsaacmanTX

4.63/5  rDev +33%

Holy Crap, this is a Banana Moonpie!!! Somehow, this beer reminds me of a flavor of saltwater taffy. This should be tried at least once by every beer drinker, even if never again. It would be a stretch for me to finish a full glass of this, much less a second. That being said, I feel that if you ever loved sweets in your childhood, you will Love at least ONE sample of this beer.

10-20-2012 01:49:07 | More by IsaacmanTX
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%

This is new in Alberta and I've been waiting to give this a try...finally I can scratch a brew off my want list!!

A- Comes in a clear bottle with what I'm guessing is a new label as opposed to the picture here on BA. Solid look as most English beers are....pours a dark golden color, and it clear. The head is, well, colored like mashed banana and isn't exactly thick, but what there is, is frothy and retains well. Lacing is good, as lots of sticky foam clings to the side of my pint glass. Carbonation seems to be holding back somewhat so that's good IMO.

S- YUM! This smells exactly like how real banana bread wafts into the air as it's in the oven! At the same time, it's rich enough that I catch a hint of dark chocolate, just like if I had choc. chips in the batter! Along with some subtle spices, there is also just a hint of dry hops on the finish. A real pleasure to smell!

T- This is amazing and is definitely the best fruit beer I've tasted to date! The sweet banana fruit is present, yet in a more subtle manner....it doesn't have any sort of artificial extract present! There is a yeasty quality that just helps to round out the malt and balance out the more than modest spicy/dry crispness of the finish. Just a note, as this warms up a bit, a nutty character shows itself that wasn't really present at first.

M- I wouldn't call this thin bodied but it just has such a smoothness to it that I really feel that I'm drinking liquid banana bread, with just a hint of sweetness. The carbonation is low, allowing the beer to just glide around the palate at will. A real delight!

D- As much as I love this beer, I'd be good after no more than say 2 pints...no offense intended! It's just so flavorful, the alcohol is very well hidden and would be the perfect desert beer....I could see myself enjoying this with some cake and ice cream! I highly recommend this to anyone, amateur and expert alike!

02-14-2011 03:02:55 | More by ChrisCage
jucifer1818

4.55/5  rDev +30.7%

appearance: average, but not offensive
Smell: Smells like banana bread! as a result, perfect score ^^
Taste: Tastes delicious and banana like, with some beady notes. so it tastes like banana bread minuets the chocolate chips.

Mouthfeel: It feels offly light. more body would feel more like bannan bread

Overall. It does what it tells you, and does in fact taste bannan bready.
for that, a near perfect score seems right!

check it out any way you can

11-04-2012 17:47:03 | More by jucifer1818
beerguru15

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%

After long anticipation (and waiting for a 12 oz size to come in) I was finally able to try this beer being that I love Banana Bread.

When pouring the beer, it's a copper color, and has little to no head.

When opening the bottle immediately you're presented with a strong smell of bananas.

The taste was just like it smelled, like banana's. It made me feel like I was drinking an actual loaf of banana bread.

The mouthfeel was the only down part of this beer as there wasn't much any

Overall this beer is very drinkable and worth the wait. I knew once I opened the bottle that it would be a good one and I would definitely buy again.

05-16-2010 02:20:39 | More by beerguru15
pezdedorado

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%

My buddy and I love to kick back with a special bottle of this beer. If you're going to have just one, this is a nice choice against the grain.

I get a lot of banana and malt from this beer. Its one I want to try homebrewing, but I am afraid this beer wont disappear for years if I make 5 gallons.

12-27-2010 03:05:26 | More by pezdedorado
sergio1va

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%

Saw it at my local liquor mart and had to try it.

Poured the entire bottle on a schooner glass and it appears with an amber color and a white foam head.

The smell is definitely no contradiction to this beer's name- bananas all around. Some hints of clove are possible to detect.

The taste is superb and although it's a lambic beer it could easily become one of my favorite beers.
Again, banana flavor is predominant with little traces of bitterness and very little aftertaste.

Overall, a great tasting beer to share with friends, especially those afraid of hoppier beers.

06-29-2011 03:18:59 | More by sergio1va