You should. Get 12 issues / year for as low as 68% off the single issue rate today.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 844 | Hads: 2,829
3.74/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was very leary about this one but part of me was compelled to try it. I must say, it's not that bad. Poured it into your normal pint glass. The color is golden brown. Nice smell & taste of fresh bananas. The wheat taste wasn't overpowering. Only downside was it didn't keep its chill very long (could have been the person's fridge I was using). That part messed with the taste. I would try another & recommend this to a friend.

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug. Transparent, light yellow color with a one finger head that leaves an inch of lacing. Aroma of banana and candied nuts. Taste is a grainy, semi-sweet banana and bready malt with a smooth, slightly nutty finish. No distinguishable hops. Medium-light body and medium carbonation with no aftertaste. A little too light of a body.
A good banana presence that isn't artificial or chemically. It's a non-traditional beer that excels in being what it advertises itself as. It's a good dessert beer that is very drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer does live up to its name. It pours a clear brown with a very thin head and no significant lacing. Strong banana smell. The banana bread taste is there. This is a beer you need to be in the right mood to drink!

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

Bought locally at a liquor store. The scent of banana is there, for sure, but the taste is nonexistent. Additionally, like some others have mentioned, there's something about the aftertaste that's unpleasant. It's kind of thin and one-note, in my opinion. I bought six different beers on the trip which I tried this out, and I had to make a serious effort for the three additional bottles not to be the last ones in the fridge. It's not the worst beer ever, but I definitely wouldn't purchase it again. I was expecting something deeper, spicier, and richer to back up the banana flavoring, and it just wasn't there. The one good thing I can give it, is that it smelled of real, ripe bananas, and not artificial flavoring. (Artificial banana is THE WORST.)

3.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From bottle, pours clear brown with white head. Aroma is sweet banana candies, foam banana and banana peel. Taste is thin and sweet with banana candy and brown bananas as well as slight malts. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wasnt quite sure what to expect. Just enough banana bread to stay true to the label but at the time I dont think Id want much more. I dont know about a session but I wouldnt turn one down.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is awesome. Pours a copper with a slight red tint, minimal head. The smell is spicy banana, with breads malts and some toffee behind. The taste is just what it should be. Tastes just like banana bread with just enough alcohol to know your drinking beer. Very on point. Some slight clove flavors as well, definitely Belgian yeast used. A good change up or dessert beer if you can get it fresh.

4.46/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this beer in a liquor store in Portland(Bum City). Apparently it isn't sold anywhere around me and I am disappointed I only got one of these. The taste for me was as close to banana bread that you can probably get. I didn't think it was too over-sweet like a lot of the brewers tend to do. It actually still tasted like beer. Nice smooth texture. I didn't get to pour this beer as I was in a shitty hotel when drinking so I averaged the look of it. The shocktop banana doesn't even touch this. Solid beer, wish I could find more.

4.06/5  rDev +16%

Smells exactly like what you'd expect. It does a good job of keeping the banana flavor as an accent, rather than the main attraction. It makes the beer really mild tasting, and very drinkable. A solid fruit beer.

2.62/5  rDev -25.1%

It was my birthday and decided to try something new. Got excited when I saw this, but was disappointed when it finally tried it. Can't even begin to tell you want it tasted like.

3.89/5  rDev +11.1%

A - Somewhat creamy, off white head. Clear and copper in color. Low to moderate carbonation. 3.75/5

S - Smells like banana bread. Bananas, nutmeg, cloves. Light maltiness. 4/5

T - Tastes like banana bread, just like the aroma. Some light herbal hops. Lingering bitterness and lingering banana flavor. 3.75/5

M - Light bodied but creamy as well. Low carbonation. 4/5

O - Extremely banana-y. Not artificially banana though. Feels very natural. 4/5

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Brown in color with excellent clarity. A fingernail of light brown is barely present. Plenty of carbonation bubbles erupt from within the beer. Strong aroma of banana flavored candy. The taste is very limp artificial banana candy. Cloying. The body is moderately carbonated and warm.

3.71/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells like banana bread but the taste and feel don't add up to a good beer. Overall . . . it's just ok. A bit gimmicky. Glad I finally tried it though.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Undated bottle at Rachel’s Roadhouse into a frosted glass (That’s all we have)
Aroma of banana, doesn’t get stronger as it warms up
Head small (two cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and a few small islands of froth
Lacing – none
Body amber-orange, clear
Flavor initially very strong of over-ripe bananas with a solvent after taste. As it warms, the banana flavor drops to a tolerable level and the after taste lessens. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

4.54/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy a wide variety of beer flavors, banana flavored beer is quite delicious. It does taste like banana bread in the after taste. Wells offers other flavorful beers for our tastbud pleasure.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Love this beer. It isn't too sweet at all and isn't over powered with the banana bread flavoring. Has a unique flavor that is certainly something trying

2.52/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tastes just like banana nut bread at first. Then it also tastes like club soda. Thin, sometimes fizzy, empty, or diety seeming beer. You do get that quick initial taste of banana nut bread, but I would call it a lightweight banana nut bread wine cooler more than anything. Really, not that impressive.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer awhile back and it was accurately reminiscent of a legit banana bread fresh out of the oven and I would have given it a 5 but this last bottle I got didn't taste anything like that. It was lacking in flavor. Pretty disappointed.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

definitely tastes like banana bread! that being said, it didn't blow me away. definitely a novelty beer that's worth a try, but I don't see myself purchasing it again.

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L- Light Amber, WHite head fades to a light brown lasting head
S- toasty malt, banana,
T/F- like a fake banana extract, light body, thin even
O- Was not impressed, taste was okm lack anything powerful, can say ive had but would not again.

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Loved the first taste on my tongue, definitely got the sweet banana almost like a runts candy. But something about the after taste didn't sit well with me. Not terrible but wouldn't drink without some food in front of me.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

Pours a light amber with a small short-lived head. Aroma is exactly as advertised, a fruity fresh baked loaf of banana bread, which as it turns out is the highlight of the show. Tastewise the bananas don't really come through all that much, it sort of feels like a one dimensional wheat beer with an artificial banana extract mixed in. Mouthfeel is thin and ultimately kind of a disappointment, considering how good it smells.

Pours a nice clear brownish orange with a thin white head that slowly dissipates. Smell banana, strawberries, and nuts. Taste is banana bread like with some indiscernible nut flavor, strawberry, and lemon. Overall a very easy drinking light and crisp beer, would buy again.

3.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

just banana flavor added to adjuct beer, not much "bread" flavor or feel (or smell).
tastes like a cheap Hefe, without the mouthfeel or the punch.
tried this like 3 years ago before my beer palette grew up, now it strikes me as gimmicky and fake-ish banana flavored New Castle.
might try the Sticky Toffee Pudding one they have, but I'll steer clear from this again.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked a bottle of Wells & Young's Banana Bread Beer last week for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. For some reason I've never tried this beer and I thought I would put an end to that and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown pint bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a clear light amber color that took on more of redish amber color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the banana yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a nice natural banana flavor that's followed by the malts which impart a sweet malt, light toasted and bready aromas. Towards the ends comes just a slight nutty aroma. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, it did remind of Banana bread a little.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the banana yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same natural banana aspect. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects with the sweet and bready malts sticking out the most with just a slight nutty flavor showing up in the background. On the finish there's not bitterness with a little sweetness taking it's place and it had slightly watery aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, the flavor also a little similar to banana bread.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little watery, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, I wish it was thicker and creamy.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it did live up to it's name when it came to tasting similar to banana bread, but this beer begs for a thicker and creamier mouthfeel to support those flavors. This beer had ok drinkability, one bottle would be my limit, since the mouthfeel would really wear on me. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the mouthfeel, it was just ok and it needed some work. I don't think it would get this beer again, but if I was in the mood for it I might get it. I would recommend it if you want a lighter beer that tastes similar to banana bread. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but it's far from a favorite, but I think it could have some potential if they worked on the mouthfeel. It's not my favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a favorite of the style. I didn't this beer, but I think with a little more work it could be pretty good.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd