Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 866 | Ratings: 2,957
3.47/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My first tough was that this was going to be sweet. After my first sip, it was not the feeling I was expecting.

The overall feeling is not that good at all. The ABV 5.2% and the IBU is around 15.

The 500 ml bottle is a nice clear bottle, the only thing attractive to this one.

The aroma of banana is not that present at all.

Not that good overall

3.92/5  rDev +12%

More refreshing than it sounds!
This one pours a dark orange in color
Smells like the hard "Runts" candy bananas.
Tastes is same, candy bananas! With a nice sweet yeast

I enjoyed it

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

Very nice malt flavor. Banana flavoring added, but definitely not overpowering. Definitely something you could pair with a meat, potatoes, gravy style meal. Here in Wisconsin, we'd call this a "supper club" beer.
NOT for the hoppy IPA enthusiast...

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured from 500ml bottle into pint glass. Limited amount of head disappeared quickly, leaving behind almost no lacing.

Smells of banana bread - sweet malts, cloves, and banana are prominent. Taste, on the other hand, is almost nonexistent, with a mild maltiness followed by lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, over-carbonated.

With bananas at 59 cents a pound, you should just bake banana bread. Skip this beer.

3.96/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an amber color into the glass. The nose is a strong banana smell. The head is fairly thick, and frothy. The taste is, as to be expected: banana. There is a bread feel to it, which is to be expected. It is a good beer, in my opinion.

4.89/5  rDev +39.7%

The look isn't that dark, but that isn't the most important part of a beer in my books.
The smell is amazing! It smells like a banana and what else can you ask for for a Banana Bread Beer?
The taste is wonderful, I believe that because it first gives you a taste of beer and then is followed by a taste of bananas. This is an excellent effect in a beverage.
The feeling is a nice carbonated one. As a once upon a time soda drinker I can respect that.

Overall: you're missing out if you haven't tried this at least once in your life.

3.51/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass straight from the bottle.

Appearance: Dark gold color coming off with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head is an off-white color which drops quickly...rose initially to maybe half a finger's length.

Smell: Bananas and malts...light but pleasant.

Taste: Nice smooth banana and hops with dose of walnuts and/or almonds. Crisp smooth.

Mouth: Medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Light stickiness.

Overall: Descent brew, not really the one to go after the sweeter beers but does the job and should please most especially on warmer weather days. Salud!

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Look: Pretty generic, not a great head, somewhat golden
Smell: Spot-on like banana bread, in my head I see the brewer just smelling this beer until it was perfect and never tasting it.
Taste: Honestly pretty good, the malt manages to back up its "cake" namesake and the banana comes from some other source, whether it be yeast or mash.
Feel: A little light, maybe too fizzy for the style? Didn't really come perfectly together. Needs more body.
Overall: Despite my apparent misgivings, this is a solid brew. You should buy this if only to smell it, and then you should drink it because it actually comes together quite nicely. If I didn't make my own super-awesome banana bread this would probably get a 4.25 overall. Still a good beer, and one that you should try, or at least sniff.

3.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours virtually without a head. Appears golden copper and translucent, almost like an IPA. Smells like banana bread for sure but with a slightly artificial and bright scent. The flavor of banana Runts comes to mind. Tastes almost exactly as it smells. Mouth feel is effervescent but not overly carbonated and not smooth. Overall I am glad I tried it but it's one of those beers you would probably try once, maybe twice. A decent job though at pursuing an offbeat and unorthodox flavor so some credit is due to the brew master there.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

From cervezasespeciales. In Ikea's english pint glass. Watching True Detective 1x01. Amazing nose.True banana and not like in hefes.Taste good too but excessive bitterness at end of sip ruins it a bit

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wells Banana Bread Beer is a very different beer to say the least. The pour was a nice solid copper/amber with a little fizz and a small head. The smell is definitely that of banana but not too over powering. The wheat taste was far from over powering. In fact it tasted just fine. I was a bit leery of even giving this one a shot, but for the most part, it was an average tasting beer. Not bad, for a change of pace .

This is a beer that does exactly what it claims to do, and the banana bread taste is fairly spot on even if it veers a tiny bit towards a laffy taffy flavor. I have mixed feelings about it because it is simultaneously one of the worst beers I've ever had in my life and yet I'm still glad to have tried it, because it's terrible in such a unique way.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Interesting aroma and flavor on this one, as it really does smell and taste like a loaf of banana bread. Appearance is somewhat lacking, relatively flat carbonation and almost no head. Smells like bananas, with some light maltiness. Taste again is sweet bananas with a short metallic finish.

1.72/5  rDev -50.9%

Purchased as a draft at the Brass Tap in Gainesville Florida. The beer is a clear amber, and has an aroma of bananas. It has the taste of a weak beer with artificial banana flavoring added. The two do not work together well and the result tastes like malty cough syrup. The feel is extremely light, to the point that it seems watered down.

This is the worst beer I've had to date and I would not recommend it to anyone.

3.67/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Something to try once, the aroma is pretty accurate and enjoyable. Pours light amber with minimal off-white top. Flavor is a little watery - more malt could really enhance this thing. Finish is fairly clean with some lingering banana. This stuff is okay.

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 500 mL Bottle

A- Pours an Amber colour with a fizzy 1/2 finger head.

S- Candied, Artificial Banana. Not at all what I was expecting.

T- Banana and bready malt with no observable hop presence.

M- Smooth Medium Body and light carbonation. Good fit for the beer.

O- If I would've got the real banana taste I was expecting, I can tell you that I would have rated the beer higher than a 3.5. I personally love anything Banana flavoured and the artificial aroma was a real disappointment.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

A: medium amber, 1 finger fizzy head 3/5
S: banana, yeast, fruitcake 3.5/5
T: banana, cream, roll cake, malt, light hop presence 3/5
M: smooth, light body, light carbonation, slightly warm 2.75/5
O: was't too bad for a novelty beer but one bottle was enough, dull, too thin 3/5

2.8/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not too sure on the look since it was from a bottle. Smelled only a slight hint of bananna with other ingredients mixed in. The taste was different then I expected with it being dry and mildly sweet. Not a fan of this fruit beer

2.55/5  rDev -27.1%

I expect deep, rich ales when drinking anything banana. This beer fell so short. The banana taste was fake and packed no punch. It was very lack luster and had no complexity. One of the worst fruit beers I had. There was no taste of nut or spice.

3.17/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle. Pours a copper color. Aroma is not what I was hoping. I wanted to smell some banana with bread complements. Instead I got a big whiff of artificial Laffy Taffy banana. Not enamored with the nose at all. The flavor was a little less intense but I don't get a banana bread flavor as much as I get a fake banana flavor. Subtle, creamy feel to the body. My hunch that this would be fake-flavored was why I had advoided this beer even though I love banana bread.

4.53/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice copper with good carbonation,minimal head that dissipates quickly. Smells of bananas, taste of bananas...I love Bananas.so I love this beer...

I was very leary about this one but part of me was compelled to try it. I must say, it's not that bad. Poured it into your normal pint glass. The color is golden brown. Nice smell & taste of fresh bananas. The wheat taste wasn't overpowering. Only downside was it didn't keep its chill very long (could have been the person's fridge I was using). That partly messed with the taste. I would try another & recommend this to a friend.

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug. Transparent, light yellow color with a one finger head that leaves an inch of lacing. Aroma of banana and candied nuts. Taste is a grainy, semi-sweet banana and bready malt with a smooth, slightly nutty finish. No distinguishable hops. Medium-light body and medium carbonation with no aftertaste. A little too light of a body.
A good banana presence that isn't artificial or chemically. It's a non-traditional beer that excels in being what it advertises itself as. It's a good dessert beer that is very drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer does live up to its name. It pours a clear brown with a very thin head and no significant lacing. Strong banana smell. The banana bread taste is there. This is a beer you need to be in the right mood to drink!

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

Bought locally at a liquor store. The scent of banana is there, for sure, but the taste is nonexistent. Additionally, like some others have mentioned, there's something about the aftertaste that's unpleasant. It's kind of thin and one-note, in my opinion. I bought six different beers on the trip which I tried this out, and I had to make a serious effort for the three additional bottles not to be the last ones in the fridge. It's not the worst beer ever, but I definitely wouldn't purchase it again. I was expecting something deeper, spicier, and richer to back up the banana flavoring, and it just wasn't there. The one good thing I can give it, is that it smelled of real, ripe bananas, and not artificial flavoring. (Artificial banana is THE WORST.)

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd