Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

A: poured into a pint glass to a light orange with a small white head that fades quickly
S: smells of bananas, a bit of spice and some biscuity malt aroma
T: bananas and bready malt sweetness and what tastes like a hint of some spice. swallow is more banana and bready malt flavor
M: medium in the mouth with soft but moderate carbonation. odd finish
O: this is one of the more interesting beers that I've found. It's quite the oddity but I have to say that it was worth satisftying my curiosity. There are some pretty bad fruit beers out there and I don't feel that this is one of them.

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a rather clear dark amber color with nice clarity. Not much of a head here, a rather wimpy looking one finger cream color that fades quick. At least it leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: It definitely features banana in the aroma, but it seems rather artificial in a way. If I had to compare it to anything, it would be Banana Runts. Not very bready, it's mostly banana and sweetness...just like I remembered!

T: General maltiness comes through more strongly on the flavor, while the banana profile pops up on the midpalate and lingers moderately. Slight earthy hops appear on the finish. All in all, it's just a bit too artificial tasting for its own good ("banana flavor added" on the bottle says it all), though it isn't out and out bad.

M: Fairly tingly, not just from the carbonation, but the general texture as well. The aftertaste is rather sweet, as well. It does the job for what the beer is trying to accomplish, and that's it.

O: It is what it is, banana beer. There's a definite appeal here, though I can't say I really enjoy this. Personally, I'd much rather have a hefeweizen with a more natural banana ester character over this one any day.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

This was given to me by a friend who heard I liked craft beer. She just picked a bunch of stuff from the craft beer section and this ended up in the bunch. In her defense the other stuff included some Dogfish head stuff, a Dead Guy from Rogue and some other good stuff. Anyway, I'd heard this was bad, and it was. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still, not good. I don't think it was the execution of the beer, but the concept. I hate pretty much anything banana flavored, except bananas themselves, and banana bread. I rank this somewhere between banana flavored candy and real banana bread. Mostly I couldn't handle the smell. Smelled like a banana peel that had been left in a hot car all day. It tasted okish, but the smell was always there. There's that.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

I bought a bottle of Banana Bread Beer in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a rich gold color, clear with a thin white head.

Aroma is all about bananas. Sweet over ripe bananas.

Taste is also a banana flavor up front, with a dry bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp.

Overall not a bad brew, but not something I would want to drink a lot of.

3.82/5  rDev +9.1%

I had tried this beer a few years back, and thought I would give it another try. I remembered it as being very interesting. If you enjoy banana flavored things then you should definitely give it a try.

A: light head that disappeared quickly, hazy orange/amber color

S: distinct banana smell that I enjoyed

T: the banana taste is present right away, and then is replaced by a malt flavor...after swallowing the slight banana taste makes a return

M: it was somewhere between medium and light with not much carbonation

O: it is definitely interesting, the banana taste is definitely present but it isn't overwhelming...I like it but will likely only buy it on occasion when craving something very different

1.5/5  rDev -57.1%

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was looking for something different....out of the ordinary and saw this a couple of weeks back but passed on it. Went back a week later and saw a guy come in and ask for it by name....the staff showed him where it was and he left with a couple of pints and raved about the stuff all the way to the cash register.

The hook was in...monkey see monkey do right! Wasn't expecting much, but this turned out to be better than I expected.

ST-Poured into a frosted pint glass and only got a small 1/4" head with a little bit of lacing as I drank it down.

A- light brown to amber....good color. A lot like a Bass ale in color.

S- I expected a much stronger aroma. You can pick up the smell of bananas, but it's that banana candy smell, not a "real" banana smell. Still pleasant and definitely not overpowering.

T- ok now down to brass tax...the banana taste is definitely unique. However it does sit on the back of your tongue a little bit if you know what I mean....just kinda of lingers there a little too long....like your drunk uncle at a fourth of July party. Good to have around cause he's fun, but at some point you wish he would hit the road!

M- Thin...I would expect more from a beer that likens itself to bread!

O- Not bad as a novelty. Don't think this would be very sessionable. It was definitely the unique brew I was looking. The alcohol content plays a subtle role in the taste with that hint of banana....I might try this again sometime, but don't see this being heavy in my rotation. Definitely worth a try.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd