Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

good

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.63/5  rDev +4%

11.2 oz. bottle with a best before stamp of 12-04-13. Makes me wonder when this was actually brewed.

Pours a brilliantly clear copper color with a tight-knit cream colored head that settles to around an inch. Moderate uprising carbonation that is a little surprising, being brewed in the UK. Nice dripping lace splotched about.

Almost smells of a dunkleweissen, which makes sense due to the banana. But yes, I see the next label reads, '...peppery spice'. Maybe that's where my brain is telling me 'cloves'. The label also says it's brewed with mineral water. Now, if this is actually from the source of just chemically treated to mimic, I just can't prove. But I swear I do smell l that minerally wet stone note in there too. Man, I'm surely buying-in to the marketing, huh?

I have to admit, I was expecting an overly sweet, contrived banana blitzkreig. But what I'm tasting is a beautifully balanced natural banana flavor mingling with an authentic English yeast foundation, propped against some dry hops and faint spice. *Just* like the next label states. Seriously.

Contrary to the visible uprising carbonation I observed upon initial pour, the feel is very British (low carbonation, but still lively). Light bodied with a chalky dry finish. Banana sticks around for a while, which is nice.

Overall a beer I was expecting to drink and soon forget, but I will remember this beer as being very subtle but still pronounced. Natural flavors win - no gimmicks here. I couldn't enjoy more than a bottle every now and then though. A beer begging to be paired with possibly a flourless chocolate cake or bananas foster?

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Golden caramel body capped with a finger of paper white head - pretty good lacing.

Smell is as advertised - mushy bananas, nutty grain notes, lots of brown ale characteristics, walnuts, fresh cream, a bit artificial but really nice I think.

Not as fruity as I was expecting... toasted walnuts, some unexpected pils-like hop notes, some banana, not too sweet, pretty unique... not thirsty for a second one but I enjoyed it.

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it. As a lover of banana bread I think this beer is delicious. I hope it stays a regular at my local liquor store.

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

1.25/5  rDev -64.2%

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well's Banana Bread Beer @ 5.2% , a 500 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass
A-pours a clear dark gold with a fine smallish off white head , leaving some lacing along the pint glass
S-banana bread
T-very rich tasting ripe banana bread , some spice leads to a crisp dry finish
MF-pleasant , a bit sweet , medium body with lots of carbonation
Ov-a definate summer beer , not a favourite , but I'm glad I got to try it