Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,653 | Reviews: 857

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.3/5  rDev -6%

Pours a light brown, mellow amber color with a lot of clarity and not much head to speak of. The initial nose is mostly some malt, a bit of yeast, and a touch of hops. You really have to make sure your sniffer is on the top of your game to smell that banana bread. I sat for a while and let the beer warm up a little bit, and the banana bread finally came out, but it was still very faint on the nose. The taste followed in a similar fashion, with a nice "amber ale" flavor up front with malts and a bit of yeast, not much of a hop flavor at all, bitterness very low. Upon swallowing the beer and smacking your tongue off the roof of your mouth, the banana bread is present and apparent, albeit faint. I can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't like when fruit beers overpower the beer with too much fruit flavor, but this one is actually a bit underdone, where you're really struggling to find the banana bread. When you taste it, it's very good, but you'll really have to try. Body is very thin and contains a medium-high amount of carbonation.

Not a bad brew, easy to drink and could be sessionable if they sold it in six-packs. Just wish the banana bread taste was a bit more apparent, because it's quite good when you finally taste it.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

4.7/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love banana bread so I had high expectations... and they were met. Poured in a pint.

A: pours a honey- amber color, with a half inch tan head with minimal lacing.

S: Can smell hops and banana bread, making me happy.

T: Boom goes the dynamite. Scrumptious. First begins with the hop flavor followed immediately by straight up banana bread, as if you just took a bite. I wish i had some banana bread to go with this.

M: Very crisp, much carbonation, very light

O: Despite what everyone else has said, If you're a fan of banana bread, this beer is up your alley. Its light, refreshing, easy going and with great taste. Try it.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: It has a nice golden/copper color to it. It has a nice thin off-white head that dies down somewhat fast and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of banana bread, bready malts and vanilla.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some sweet banana bread, bready malts and some vanilla.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a slightly light but nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with decent flavors and aromas.

4.24/5  rDev +20.8%

I had this beer at dinner a few nights ago at J&L grill in the South-Side of Pittsburgh. It really blew me away.

I regret not requesting a glass to pour my bottle into, thus I will refrain from commenting on its appearance as I am unsure. I assume it is an inviting lure.

The smell was immaculate. They hit the nail on the head with trying to replicate a banana bread smell.

The taste was even more spot on. I was skeptical to drop the money on this beer at first, but curiosity got the best of me. I was very impressed with the similarity between banana bread and this brew. Much more than just a banana flavor, which is what I originally predicted. The sweet-roasted after taste leaves you wanting more. If you ask me, the only tragic thing about this beer is the 11.2 oz bottle. I want those extra .8 damn it!

3.65/5  rDev +4%

11.2 oz. bottle with a best before stamp of 12-04-13. Makes me wonder when this was actually brewed.

Pours a brilliantly clear copper color with a tight-knit cream colored head that settles to around an inch. Moderate uprising carbonation that is a little surprising, being brewed in the UK. Nice dripping lace splotched about.

Almost smells of a dunkleweissen, which makes sense due to the banana. But yes, I see the next label reads, '...peppery spice'. Maybe that's where my brain is telling me 'cloves'. The label also says it's brewed with mineral water. Now, if this is actually from the source of just chemically treated to mimic, I just can't prove. But I swear I do smell l that minerally wet stone note in there too. Man, I'm surely buying-in to the marketing, huh?

I have to admit, I was expecting an overly sweet, contrived banana blitzkreig. But what I'm tasting is a beautifully balanced natural banana flavor mingling with an authentic English yeast foundation, propped against some dry hops and faint spice. *Just* like the next label states. Seriously.

Contrary to the visible uprising carbonation I observed upon initial pour, the feel is very British (low carbonation, but still lively). Light bodied with a chalky dry finish. Banana sticks around for a while, which is nice.

Overall a beer I was expecting to drink and soon forget, but I will remember this beer as being very subtle but still pronounced. Natural flavors win - no gimmicks here. I couldn't enjoy more than a bottle every now and then though. A beer begging to be paired with possibly a flourless chocolate cake or bananas foster?

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Golden caramel body capped with a finger of paper white head - pretty good lacing.

Smell is as advertised - mushy bananas, nutty grain notes, lots of brown ale characteristics, walnuts, fresh cream, a bit artificial but really nice I think.

Not as fruity as I was expecting... toasted walnuts, some unexpected pils-like hop notes, some banana, not too sweet, pretty unique... not thirsty for a second one but I enjoyed it.

4.34/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it. As a lover of banana bread I think this beer is delicious. I hope it stays a regular at my local liquor store.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd