Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
pavyaz19

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

I was pleasantly surprised upon drinking this beer. i really liked it!

Unfortunately it's a little price ($4.99) a bottle but it's well worth it, at least to try. I homebrewed a pumpkin beer last fall that smelled strongly of bananas (this beer smelled JUST LIKE the pumpkin beer I made). The smell, however, was the only similarity to that homebrew.

Maybe it's because my tastes / memories are being distorted here, but the best way I can describe this beer is that it's Southern Tier's Pumking infused with bananas.

05-06-2010 13:15:33 | More by pavyaz19
AEK

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Okay, let's get the negatives out of the way first. I had this beer about 9 years ago and it was then brewed by Charles Wells who stated on the label - '568ml, A full English pint'. Since then Wells and Young's have merged and the bottle has been downgraded to the standard 500ml size and I blame Young's for this tampering.

500ml clear bottle poured into a Hobgoblin pint pot.

A. Deep, clear orange colour bordering on coppery. Head is bubbly white that stayed on top of the ale for a short while.

N. Banana and fruity malt dominate the nose. I also get notes that are reminiscent of a Belgian kriek, similar to a Belle Vue kriek or a Rodenbach. As the beer warms up in the glass the kriek aromas come to the fore.

T. A heavy banana sweetness that is pleasant rather than overpowering. Some fruity malt accompanies the banana along with a nice peppery hoppiness.

M. Surprisingly light for a beer of this strength.

I had this beer a number of years ago and since Well's have merged with Young's there are notable differences. First, the banana taste is not as long as it originally was and the beer is predominently more carbonated these days and if I am honest I would say it is too carbonated. Having said all this, it is still a good drinking session beer, I just wish it was still like it was when it was first brewed.

05-04-2010 19:59:58 | More by AEK
mrstevens

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Color was amber in color with not alot of head.

Smell was of bananas, a little caramel maybe, really did smell like banana bread.

Taste wasn't as good as the smell but better than I thought it would be, tasted somewhat like a banana laffy taffy.

Mouthfeel wasn't too impressive, little carbonation, but have had worse.

Overall drinkability isn't bad if you like fruity tasting beer I guess. I did like it, but wasn't overly impressed.

04-28-2010 01:57:26 | More by mrstevens
jjanega08

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A= pours a brownish amber color that is completely translucent and holds a small one finger head thats totally white and holds some average retention. Large bubbles in the middle and thin bubbles on the outside.

S= Very much like banana bread I guess. Nice Banana as well as some of the typical spices you find n banana bread. There is a decent doughy biscuty smell to it. Really not much of a "beer" smell to it.

T= Different than the smell for sure. Here it takes on a more "beer" like character. There is still the banana in the taste but it's not as deep. The spices are also less obvious. Front the front it tastes like doughy malt. Biscuty and a little sweet. The finish is more like the smell with the banana bread characters and a small hop bite to it.

M= Low carbonation. Sort of slick and watery.

D= Pretty decent brew. Definitally unique but not something I would go for all the time. I may get some more however just because I really like banana bread. Everyone should have this beer once.

04-27-2010 23:36:42 | More by jjanega08
dtivp

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

I'm not a big fruit beer fan, however, couldn't pass up trying a bottle of banana bread beer.

Pours a yellow / orange with a very small head the dissipates very fast.

No surprise here, the aroma was dominated by banana and banana.

Taste was a sweet, you guessed it banana with a slight very slight bitterness at the end.

With no carbonation this beer was a little watery.

This beer was a little too sweet for me, I love banana bread but not in my beer. sorry this is a one time experience for me.

04-25-2010 20:51:38 | More by dtivp
dismal

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

From the bottle. Pours amber/copper with a small white head. The head slowly fades and is almost gone within five minutes leaving very little but mainly no lacing. The smell of this beer is exactly what I was expecting and then some. Bananas and banana bread, pretty spot on. Other noticeable aromas are spices. The taste isn't as impressive as the smell but in all honesty it's not blowing me away but I do get a good hint of liquid banana bread. The banana dominates first and is present through out the taste, it's followed by certain malt taste mainly caramel towards the end. A low ABV this isn't a problem drinking. This one is good and pretty much was advertised. Banana bread for sure but at least it's not overpowering in the taste and you can tell it's a beer. I'd drink it again for sure but probably not that often.

04-22-2010 01:32:55 | More by dismal
urwithdave

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Drank from my cigar city snifter.

A-Pours golden orange in color. Little head, maybe 3/4", but that fades quickly. No lacing left.

S- By far the best part of this beer... if only it tasted half as good. It really smells like banana bread. Some sweet malts are noted, but this is all about bananas here.

T- At first I thought I was gonna really enjoy this brew,,,,then the banana disappeared on me after the second that it touched my lips. You taste banana all for maybe a second and then it just fades. U are left with a really light tasting BMC. It tastes like someone dropped all the banana runts from the pack into a M****R L**E and let it sit around for a while.

M- Under carbonaed and very water like.

D- Let's just say I won't be coming back to this !.

04-20-2010 05:15:18 | More by urwithdave
jwhawkins81

3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

Aroma - Tons of banana and sweet fruits. This might all be fake aroma but it is still pretty good.

Appearance - No carbonation, no head, beer was yellow with a touch of orange

Taste - Sweet malts with banana with a slightly unbalanced bitterness. There was a slight astringent taste mid-flavor that wasn't helping this beer's case. Kind of good and different but not amazingly so.

04-18-2010 15:19:16 | More by jwhawkins81
akorsak

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to ksak for sharing this bottle from Al's of Hampden.

A: The beer is an autumnal yellow/brown combination that hasn't list its translucence. Not much head on pour or thereafter.

S: The label doesn't lie. This is as close to banana nut bread as I've ever come in a liquid. The banana is intense, freshly pureed, but very nice. A big score on the nose, even if it is sweetened up artificially.

T: The ale is fairly one dimensional, with the banana acting as star of the show. The sweetness doesn't linger for long though. Before it passes on, a grainy graham element mixes with the fruit to create a banana cream pie flavor. After the fruit passes, things fall apart quickly.

M: The upfront dose of banana works for as long as it lasts. The creaminess pairs well with banana.

D: An interesting ale. Banana as a sole ingredient (and not a yeast by-product)? Paint me surprised.

04-18-2010 00:17:16 | More by akorsak
cdbooth219

Maryland

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a golden brown color, with 2 fingers of off white head that dissipates quickly, leaving some nice lacing

S: Smells of banana taffy, with malty smells of caramel and toffee, with a bit of walnut smell as well

T: Lots of banana, with the caramel and toffee malt as well. Also some of the walnut is in there. Very little hop bitterness, but this does taste very much like it smells, and very much like banana bread

M: Rather watery, with very little carbonation. Not much exciting as far as mouthfeel.

D: Not heavy at all, and not overly sweet, I could drink a few of these, but thats about it.

Overall, this is a very good beer. It is very much like liquid banana bread, and very interesting. Its not amazing, but it is enjoybale on occasion

04-17-2010 21:28:19 | More by cdbooth219
bonkers

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

I poured from a 16 ounce bottle into a snifter. It pours a clear amber with a moderate white head. The aroma is spot on, big banana and nut notes. The flavor is reminiscent of Banana bread, but not quite. The banana is there, as is the sweetness. The finish is slightly bitter, but not bad. The beer is a bit thin, and lightly carbonated. A nice change of pace beer that I enjoy on occasion.

04-07-2010 01:26:52 | More by bonkers
mtnbikerpa

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 11.2 fl.oz bottle, purchased at a six pack shop in Erie, PA. into a snifter. Color is a caramel kissed with amber. The head is limited to a thin lining on the outer edge of the glass. Steady carbonation. The scent is light but sweet with banana and sugar. The mouth feel is heavily carbonated, with powerful yeast. The pleasure of the banana bread is loaded in the after taste. My first taste is almost tinny...which returns later after about a dozen sips. This is the first beer I have tried that attempts a banana bread flavor, but I have to say that the attempt is well executed. However, even if you are a fan of banana bread, stick with a six pack and steer away from the dedication to a full case. Something tells me that between the yeast and the tinny flavor, this beer would not hold up well over time.

04-06-2010 21:04:29 | More by mtnbikerpa
DosBeerigos

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

C. Medium brown, a bit coppery
H. Somewhat clear
N. Just like a Banana...almost like those banana ice pops we all had when we were kids.

Holy Banana Batman! This beer is crazy. The initial sweetness of the beer mellows out with a fine brown malt finish. This really does taste like banana bread. Its pretty crazy. I honestly thought this was going to be a disaster of a bottle, but I was wrong. This is a very good, balanced, and tasty beer. Cheers to el Nadador for finding this sexy beast.

04-02-2010 12:30:39 | More by DosBeerigos
goldbot

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

Medium brown, a bit coppery, with a nice, off-white head and spotty lacing.

Aroma is pretty much pure banana bread. If you held this under my nose blindfolded I would guess it was a slab of the real thing. Flavor is more on the malty and bready side with less noticeable banana character. The banana is still pleasant, but more subtle. A slight hint of herbal hoppiness at the end.

A thin and slightly watery feel; moderate carbonation. Overall an interesting and rather unique fruit beer. The banana pairs well with the maltiness, especially in the aroma. The flavor and mouthfeel fell a bit short though, being thin and underwhelming.

03-28-2010 01:05:02 | More by goldbot
billybob

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

pours a clear medium amber in color with a quarter inch frothy head and a light lace. smells of banana and banana bread. taste is sweet more candy like than like banana bread flavor is right on. mouthfeel and carbonation ok. wife gave me two bottles to try its not something i would have bought thats the only reason its being reviewed.

03-23-2010 14:43:21 | More by billybob
Scrapss

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The color is standard medium gold with a few fingers of head. Settles down into a minimal lacing.

Smell: Yup, it's banana-y. Reminds me of a brown ale a co-worker tried to brew, lots of esters here. His yeast strain must be of a similar variety.

Taste: Again, banana with malt, walnut. Fruit and malt flavors and it's authentic enough to say "Did they dip beer in banana bread?". Not much hops, in accordance with the style.

Mouthfeel: The mouth has medium carbonation with a slight, watery coating that dissipates quickly.

Drinkability: I would think one would be plenty, on par most of the fruit based beer.

Overall, an interesting experience probably worth trying if one is available.

03-19-2010 23:27:43 | More by Scrapss
wedgie9

Tennessee

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

Tasted from bottle. Pours a light amber, almost golden color with a white head that quickly dissipates. There are aromas of lightly toasted malts and (you guessed it) banana. There is also a little bit of a sour aroma. The slightly bitter bit hits up front and then quickly disappears. The banana flavor is strong, but doesn't really taste like real banana. Something about this beer reminds me of circus peanuts candy for some reason. The finish is a bitter that I would not normally dislike, but it doesn't match with the other flavors very well. The carbonation is very lively. This beer is interesting, but I would not describe it as good.

03-18-2010 09:49:02 | More by wedgie9
travduke

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

Had this at my recent tasting on food flavored beers. It really stood out.

Look: The body is golden with a thin white head that barely lasts a minute. Lacing is there, but not as sticky as I was hoping.

Smell: This smells like my Grandmother's banana bread.

Taste: Banana, nutty, sweet malt. This taste like real banana bread. Its interesting and delicious.

Mouth/Drink: The mouth is a bit thin, but smooth and nicely carbonated. I could only seeing myself drinking a couple of these due to real banana bread taste.

03-17-2010 03:41:45 | More by travduke
Mancer

2.93/5  rDev -16%

Well, the brew poured (into a Brooklyn Brewery Tulip) a beautiful amber with a nice one finger width head that remained for quite some time. The smell is decent for this brew, however it seems too artificial for my taste. The initial taste is that of some bananas, malt and surprisingly, hops. Can't say that I was expecting the hops, I wasn't to thrilled by the way it meshed with the banana flavor. In general, I think this beer is a novelty, however they still need to refine the recipe.

03-16-2010 19:32:36 | More by Mancer
Alacer

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Bought at local Quick 6.

Poured into Weizen Glass.

Good thick head, long lasting. Slightly off-white. Lacing was thin and dissipated quickly. Head tasted of Banana Bread, but not overpowered.

Banana Bread flavor is subtle, not too overpowering. Great looking amber color.
The carbonation was medium, didn't hurt to drink, but not flat either.

Good beer, bought on a whim. Would probably buy again.

03-12-2010 00:17:27 | More by Alacer
pwoody11

Delaware

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Had cold from a pint glass.

Short lasting and thin, off white head. Nice golden color, but assumed this beer would've been a little darker.

Not much to say here. The beer smells and tastes like banana bread. The banana taste is nice as it's very present, but not overpowering.

I find the beer to be enjoyable, but as it's ABV may suggest, I don't find it to be a good session beer, but rather a nice pairing with a dessert or possibly a fruit gazpacho or fresh fruit salad.

03-07-2010 16:30:51 | More by pwoody11
jbphoto88

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Tangerine colored brew that is exceptionally clear. A thin head crests above the beer and is the off white color banana peel pith. Despite the profile picture this one is presented in a brown bottle.

The smell is best described as... well... banana bread. I didn't really know what to expect other then banana on some level and it sure delivers. I have to say it's soothing and pleasant with a nice bouquet of nanners and fruity esters mixed with bready malts.

It is exactly what it says it is. Banana bread beer smells and tastes like banana bread. Creamy malt is the backbone with sweet banana definitely being the focal point. Interesting flavor and high points for being probably the most true to it's label. No empty promises this is banana bread in a glass.

The mouthfeel is good but not great. It's thin and slightly watery despite having creamy flavors. I also dislike the lack of carbonation and hop bitterness but I bet they would mute the banana flavors. To sum up I was psyched starting out with this beer. Who doesn't want a glass of liquid bread especially a yummy banana bread but after about half a glass I'm bored with the novelty of it. This beer loses me for the same reason it originally captivated me. I'll stick to eating my banana bread from now on but I've been thrilled trying this honest and tasty brew.

03-06-2010 23:23:08 | More by jbphoto88
PaintballDad

Utah

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Really overall a good idea just not what I expected. Wonderful smell nutty and banana...but its not sweet and its very light. I think I will take a crack at some thing like this in my home brewing adventures more nuts more banana more sweetness and more alcohol... :)

03-04-2010 22:27:15 | More by PaintballDad
jwinship83

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

500ml bottle nearing expiration drank from a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out a clear light copper colored body with a nice sized bright white head on top. the head lasts a few seconds and leaves behind spotty lacing.

S- the first thing i notice is a strong odor of fresh bananas. after that comes a much more faint scent of bready and nutty malts.

T- the taste is much like the smell, very heavy on the banana. the bread like malts come through a lot softer than i would have imagined. the nuttiness is almost non existent.

M- light bodied and pretty thing. a high level of carbonation.

D- more of a novelty beer than something i would want again and again. if you like banana, check this one out. if you dont stay away.

03-04-2010 16:33:29 | More by jwinship83
Mosstrooper

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from 19.9oz bottle into Ommegang tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours copper with a medium off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a heavy lace.

Smell: Smells of banana, with some nuttiness.

Taste: Banana backbone throughout, with a nutty/sweet flavor like a brown ale.

Mouthfeel: Sharp carbonation up front. Thin body with a crisp finish.

Drinkability: Good beer overall, I definitely dig the banana flavors. Definitely would have this one again.

03-04-2010 05:45:23 | More by Mosstrooper