Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

good

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

Clear orange with a thick white head like virgin snow. I was expecting a banana beer to be yellow. Pristine sheet of retention leaves foamy curtains hung up on my glass. I still think it should be yellow.

Aroma is banana meringue and vanilla wafer. Not gettin' too much bread.

Tastes like banana and bourbon vanilla, albeit a very mineral-y and fizzy banana. More biscuit malt would have been appropriate.

It seems like a simple principal: I like banana bread. I like beer. I should like banana bread beer. But I don't, it's pretty mediocre. I still go to Weihenstephaner hef when I need a beery banana.

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Nice Amber color. Almost like cream soda

S: Banana bread and malty smell upfront. Very sweet smelling as well.

T: Tastes just like banana bread and beer. But the tastes are almost separate. Was much better than expected.

M: Clean, mildly carbonated.

O: I don't know if I could drink a lot of this, but I really liked drinking this beer. Very easy to drink and not too sweet for a fuit beer.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Amber and clear, head was really nice and lacing was fine.

Smelled and tasted like bananas, amply spiced, although the sweetness wasn't there like I expected. In fact, it was extremely dry IMO, almost powdery dry, which got dryer between the smell and the taste.

Body was well carbonated but quite lite and too dry, not too heavy.

Overall it was interesting but I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance has a nice copper color with a crisp dissapating head. Smell has the upfront banana bread aroma with the malt in the back. Taste has a good balance bringing out the bananas with the malt and hop. Mouthfeel is closer to medium that IMO should have a lower carbonation to bring out a softer flavor. Overall a very nice beer that brings out what it says it is.

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Reminded me of a cream soda. Crystal clear copper color. Head fizzed up and then disappeared quickly, no lacing.

S - Hints of banana.

T - A bit on the sweet side, banana and interestingly double bubble gum. Very little hops noted.

M - Good, clean.

O - Something different for sure. I might try it again sometime.

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Pours out a light copper colour. The head is soapy and tiny initially, and then disappears altogether after a 30 seconds.

S - Strong banana, sweet dried fruits, candy; it's very different an very sweet.

T - The beer and banana flavours mix well enough, but it's quite sweet and cloying on the palate. I also get sweet creamed rice, custard, malts.

MF - The body is lacking, it's a touch too watery and thin, medium carbination which suites the character of the beer.

O - Overall this is just an pretty average beer. Buy one and move on!

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This beer pours out a clear copper color with a tiny head. The smell is very nice, bananas, candy sweetness, and bready malts. The taste is a bit bizarre, but still pretty good. The "banana bread" and the "beer" parts of this beer seem to exist on two different planes that are forced together when I sip this. The beer hangs out on one side, with a decent bready caramel malt presence, even if it's kind of watery. The banana bread is over on the other side, being all delicious and stuff. They never quite coexist to become as delicious as they can be, but it's still enjoyable. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the drinkability is decent, but can strain due to sweetness. Overall, an interesting beer, but truly a one and done.

3.28/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Orange to amber colour, clear with a pinky sized, bubbly white head that is reduced to a thin soapy lacing after a few seconds.

Huge smell of banana that's like those banana marshmallow sweets. Some mild vanilla mixed in with some bread & mild hints of alcohol at the back too.

Banana flavours dominating but also a taste of bread is slightly stronger than the nose indicated. There is a mild bitter finish that is very slightly skunky tasting.

A smooth beer with a medium body and a slight fizz on the tongue. It has a nice dry & clean finish.

Nice as a one off but isn't the type of beer I would go back to. It made for an interesting drink and certainly went down easily enough, the only thing that would maybe put you off slightly is that the banana is a little strong but thats what you expect from it anyway.

Featured in the 1001 Beers to try before you die list:

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a mug. Had a dark brown, ale-y hue, wasn't incredibly exceptional. Decent head.

Smelled faintly of a sweet banana, with a malty base to detect.

Taste wise, it's got a satisfying malt flavor, with a hint of that banana taste. I did not detect much bready-ness. Taste was slightly above average overall.

Mouthfeel was average, a decent thickness and a slightly smooth finish down the throat.

Overall, it's a great beer to try, but probably not a repeat brew.

2.03/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured into a Pint Glass.

Poured a clear, light brown with a thin white head that settled to a light haze. I thought this would be darker for some reason. Smells like...bananas. Banana RUNTS actually. I know they use "real banana" in this, but I can't help that it smells artificial. Perhaps banana is just a tough flavor to pull off. Anyways, there's some sweet caramel malt in there, too. I guess you could use your imagination and see where the "bread" comes from, but I'm not digging it. Taste follows the nose closely, mainly banana and some sweet malt flavors of coffee and cocoa powder. Too sweet. Body is thin with moderate carbonation. I can understand why some people like this, but it just isn't my thing. Pass.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Appearance:
Medium Amber color, clear. Some bubbles. Small head.

Aroma:
Sweet. Banana. A little candy caramel. Just a touch of chocolate.

Taste:
Malty up front with some dry bitter finish. Really nice malt character, bready, grainy, unsweetened caramel, roasted nuts. There some banana
flavor, but it's not overpowering like most fruit beer I had. I could detect just a touch of chocolate in the very end of my palate.
Body is medium, but pretty dry. Carbonation is very nice.

Finish:
Dry finish. Clean aftertaste.

Overall:
Probably this is the best fruit beer I've drank, not overly sweet, just right.

Tasted On: 07-28-2011
Freshness: Best by 11-18-2011
Packaging: 500ml brown bottle
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Single from Triple S Market, Gallatin, TN

A: Color was dark copper on this clear beer. The cream-colored head was 3 fingers high and left a good amount of lacing. Carbonation seen was a small amount of bubbles streaming.

S: Huge banana aromas - they nailed that one! Combine the banana smells with caramel malts and vanilla and you have a rich, sweet aroma. Also some breadiness - very nice.

T: Given the sweetness in the aroma, I was surprised to find the taste was not all that sweet. I get the malty breads and banana flavors for some sweetness, but there is also a good amount of hop bitterness making this a well balanced beer. There are also some spice flavors I can't quite peg - maybe cloves.

M: Body is medium and the carbonation feels high on the tongue. A crisp drinker, it finishes dry with some bitterness. As the beer warms, the aftertaste has more of the banana and spice flavors.

O: I thought the smell was fantastic, and the taste, although not what I expected, was well done. It was a bit high priced, so I doubt I'll be buying this often, but I'd gladly have more.

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Mystery bottle that ended up in my refrigerator.

Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a white head that leaves light lacing.

Smells of slight pale malts and large amounts of brown bananas. Also present are slight hints of breadiness.

Tastes very similar to how it tastes. Slightly sweet pale malts up front are joined quickly by moderate amounts of breadiness. Midway through the banana flavors take over, fading out into a mildly bitter ending. Mouthfeel is good, with smooth carbonation.

Overall this beer is exactly as billed, although I’m not sure I could drink more than one in a sitting. It was interesting to have the banana influence without the spices (as in most weizens) though, and worth a shot.

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

A - A bubbly head followed by sticky lacing. A dark brown body.

S - Yes! Banana, with a hint of honey and oats. Great nose.

T - Follows the nose with a very rich, sweet bananas and caramel. Slightly hoppy.

M - Medium body, not creamy.

O - Interesting drop this. Very sweet. Despite this one being 2 months past its best before date, I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very nice wintery desert beer.

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Min carbonation, almost no head or lacing, clear copper

Smell - Banana bread/popsicle

Taste - Banana, bread, sweetness, dried hops

Mouthfeel - Good carb, lotsa banana, good volume

Overall - this is a unique beer that if u r looking for something different it will work. Thanks to spinrsx for sharing, was a nice split.

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Different! Not a beer I would personally choose, but delivers all of the "banana bread" promised on the label.

Clear, golden amber with decent carbonation, head & mouthfeel. Aroma is pure banana, almost liqueur-like. Malty and bready elements enter into the taste. Sweet flavour follows into the bready finish.

Would recommend to any banana bread aficionado...

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance-Clear amber body with pretty much no head or lacing.

Smell-Smells like Banana Bread. Light booze Just a ton of Banana, some biscuit malt, light nuttiness and spice. Very interesting, and fits the mold, but now what I want to smell.

Taste-Like the smell, it tastes like banana bread, but just very light and boring. Semi-Sweet off the bat with some banana, spice and nuttiness. Followed by watery nothing. I can see why some may like the taste, but not for me.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, low carbonation. It's drinkable, but watery and ehhhh, kinda sucks.

Overall-I don't like this beer. However, I do have to give them some props. Although I will probably never drink this again, I would reccomend it to the right person.

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A- Pours an amber color with a thick creamy head that thins to provide decent lacing.

S- WOW, Banana bread in a glass! Banana's, walnuts, wheat, smells like straight from the oven. Very impressed.

T- The banana comes through strong, reminds me of a hefe. Sweet and malty with a candy like finish, a little too sweet on the finish but still leaves a pleasant aftertaste. A unique taste!

M- Good carbonation balance, a little creamy.

Overall a good brew! It's like a hefe on steroids. This would make a great dessert beer.

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

a: a cloudy gold/amber with a nice fluffy off-white head. Good formation and stayed for a while. little lacing

s: Dead on banana bread. the whole thing: banana, cloves, yeast, walnut...it is all here and truly incredible. Makes my mouth water...the scent is slightly faux smelling though...more of a banana flavoring than real banana.

t: sweet banana hits up front with a nutty following of pecan/walnut. this trails into a watery territory I wish it didn't. great start, less than average finish.

m: decent fizz but not too much make it creamy in texture, though this is a bit more thin than I'd prefer.

o: Great smell to this that makes you love it. The taste holds up to the smell in the beginning but leaves you underwhelmed as it becomes too water. I'd get this again once in a while when I'm looking for a sweeter brew which won't fill you up.

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle dated 07/03/12- assumedly the expiry date.

Pours a light amber, with a finger width of white head. Pretty standard stuff.

The beer is skunked (yay for clear bottles), so that smell comes through, unfortunately. However, an overpowering banana smell comes through very clearly. I was actually surprised by how potent the banana smell was. This beer really does smell like banana bread. I don't really smell anything else, but that is probably enough. However, perhaps not surprisingly, while the banana bread smell is unmistakable, it is not as GOOD as actual banana bread. It does smell somewhat artificial, and likes the warm bready scent of the real thing.

Taste is quite disappointing. An artificial, medicine-like banana taste comes through, but divorced of the bread. I had expected the malt to play a larger role in the taste than it does. A lingering and not particularly pleasant bitterness finishes the taste. The beer is quite watery, which negatively impacts the taste.

Mouthfeel is over carbonated and thin. Not to my liking.

Overall, a disappointment, even though my expectations were not particularly high. I like banana bread a lot, but I think I will stick to the real thing. The beer would be improved somewhat if it was not in a clear bottle, and was not subject to being skunked.

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

500ml bottle
5.2% ABV
I tried this beer on June 11, 2011 after purchasing at one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer poured a translucent red colour with a very thin white cap. The aroma was banana, spices, grainy malt, and floral hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The flavour is mild fruit, spices, and acidic maltiness.

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

Saw it at my local liquor mart and had to try it.

Poured the entire bottle on a schooner glass and it appears with an amber color and a white foam head.

The smell is definitely no contradiction to this beer's name- bananas all around. Some hints of clove are possible to detect.

The taste is superb and although it's a lambic beer it could easily become one of my favorite beers.
Again, banana flavor is predominant with little traces of bitterness and very little aftertaste.

Overall, a great tasting beer to share with friends, especially those afraid of hoppier beers.

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours a translucent amber color with a minimal white head; only a few seconds of retention.

S: Overwhelming banana esthers block out almost everything else. Reminds me of an organic chemistry experiment I performed to create the artificial banana smell. I suppose there are some faint hints of malt in the background.

T: A weird combination of malty beer and candy-like banana flavor. As much as I like these things on their own, they don't really come together for me here. A little bit of bitterness comes through on the finish.

M: Medium-bodied with a little bit a carbonation. Not too much to speak of here.

D: The alcohol doesn't come through at all, but no less, it's not particularly pleasant to drink because of the strange flavor combination.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Impossible to pass this one up. What a brilliant idea, I thought. I'd recently tasted a stellar ESB by Wells, and figured this was a no brainer. Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Crystal clear amber brew with a massive pillowy head. Eventually settled but never fully.

S - Hmmm, bananas, yes, but something more akin to banana candy than the clove/phenol/spice aroma of a hefeweizen.

T - Sweet malty body with even sweeter banana flavoring. 1 pt 0.9 oz bottle is far too much. A 7oz bottle and I may have scored higher as a dessert beer, but drinking an entire one is quite the chore. No hop bite to balance.

M - Light body, smooth finish, and a decent carbonation level.

D - It has several issues, but it is still tasty. I'd recommend splitting a bottle with 2-3 people, as this is infinitely better in small doses.

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

I am away from The CANQuest (TM) for a short time, bottle be back to it in quick order, I assure you.

From the bottle: "Long ago, ale was known as 'Liquid Bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fairtrade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer."; "An inspired brew made with our natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. tempting Banoffee [?] aromas & flavours are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops."

Recipe for Banana Bread: Take two large milk jugs and one fur-lined mixing bowl. Manipulate all until mixing bowl is well-greased. Insert banana. Remove banana. Repeat until banana is soft and mixing bowl is filled with fresh cream. CAVEAT: If bread begins to rise, leave town IMMEDIATELY, leaving no forwarding address.

What a buncha monkey business ... Banana Bread Beer, indeed! I remember the first time I made banana bread - it was in Home Ec (Foods 1), just before the Thanksgiving break. It was astounding! We had it with our dinner, slathered with butter and I can taste it even today. Thank you, Mrs. Minnich, for a project that projects itself into my latest passion.

The beer peeled out of the bottle at a speed unrivaled by any CANned beer. It really took me by surprise, so I got yellow and ran away until it had a chance to settle. The head was a puffy, pillow-y two-plus fingers of thick, yellow-white head that held in until a big exhalation of CO2, when it fell all at once. By Gar, I can smell bananas everywhere! Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Now, if you thought BUPGOO! was wrong in being marketed to the kiddies, this is so far afield that I cannot believe that it exists. I am going to see if my current beau (she from "Cabaret" - 'If You Could See Her') approves. She does! Oh, my darling monkey. Wait, I see a monkey with a bomb! It's Inspector Clouseau yelling about "A minkey with a bimb!" or somesuch. These Brits ... it's so hard to tell what they're on about at times. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, so maybe he was saying something about it being thin. Why can't the British speak English? It's so confounding! Now, it's "Planet of the Apes" - Get your hands off of my banana beer, you damn dirty ape! It's irresistible to the simian set, apparently. Have you ever seen Woody Allen in "Bananas"? He sports a Che/Fidel beard that lends itself to my nickname. Taste was as advertised - bananas with a hint of caramel. Finish was very banana and if I liked bananas, that would be a good thing. The hops monkey on my back nodded in agreement.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd