Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

A: The pour is a golden amber color with plenty of carbonation and a nice off-white head.

S: What can I say, it smells like banana bread. Sweet banana, subtle spices, and a light nutty aroma to it as well as some bready base malts.

T: There is a slight bitterness to the flavor that I wasn't completely expecting, but otherwise it (again) is quite reminiscent of banana bread. Sweet banana and caramelized sugar flavors, along with a hint of toasted nuts.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is a bit on the high side, which was actually sort of welcomed.

D: I was not expecting too much from this beer, to be completely honest. However, I really enjoyed it. It did indeed taste like banana bread and was not cloying or overly artificial.

womencantsail, Aug 26, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -36.1%

I don't know about you, but one of my fondest memories from childhood was waking up to my moms freshly baked banana bread. Oh my lord was it delicious. I would jog from Toronto 200km back to London for this stuff!

A while ago while snooping around on the Wells and Young's website I realized that they made a Banana Bread Beer! These are the same guys that brought us the Double Chocolate Stout; so I had to go find this beer. But to my dismay, the LCBO had no interest in brining it in, and my recent missions to Premier Gourmet still left me empty handed (at least considering this beer).

My last trip to Ryan's Party Store in Port Huron though left me smiling though, for I had in my car a nice shinny, well, maybe not shinny... But I had a bottle of this Banana Bread Beer ready for my mom's homemade Banana Bread! I poured the Banana Bread Beer into a standard tulip glass trying to open the beer up and at the same time capture all of its aromatic potential. The pour was smooth and carbonated lifting an weak airy one one inch white head. The beer stood transparent golden mahogany with rich browns, amber bronze and copper colors shining through it all. The color was very nice, ripely what I would have hoped for out of a banana beer. However by now, the head was already gone. I would have enjoyed a nice thick creamy head for a beer of this sorts.

The nose was softly malty with an obvious scent of banana. Soft pale malts and biscuit show through with light spice characteristics, and soft hops. The banana is there, but honestly I am disappointed. I was hoping for a creamy rich pouring of warm gooey banana; this though is soft, slightly medicinal, and underwhelming. The touch of nutmeg and cinnamon is very nice.

Wells does describe it as their "traditional bitter with the subtle flavor of banana". This leads me to believe that they have added banana to an existing beer - perhaps they should have redesigned it. However, I cannot accurately comment on the production methods of this beer, only the final product.

By now the head had completely disappeared leaving only a faint ring on the beer.The beer comes in to the tip of your tongue immediately with pale malts and a sweet touch of caramel. Quickly a light but obvious trace of banana glides over the sides of your tongue and cheeks. Spices like cinnamon and allspice are light on the palate giving way more to soft biscuit and soft malt.

The finish is dry and slightly sweet - also is a touch medicinal due to the seemingly artificial flavor of banana. I actually didn't really enjoy this beer, and it definitely let me down. I really was excited for something warming, chewy and soft with luscious banana and dough flavors.

Maybe this is better in England, if so, it did not travel well. I bet Wells can do better, and I will be excited to see them try.

StephenRich, Aug 22, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: clear, deep orange body, rather like an IPA. Head is two fingers of pillowy ivory foam with moderate retention. Looks rather good.

Smell: smells kind of like malty bananas. The banana aroma walks the line between smelling like fresh bananas and smelling like artificial banana flavoring. The bottle says both "brewed with bananas" and "banana flavor added", so maybe this is exactly what is going on.

Taste: this beer has a very biscuity, bready kind of flavor going on. Banana flavor is more natural but the intensity is quite toned down from the aroma. It's not my favorite beer ever, but it is a great example of truth in advertising: this tastes just like banana bread.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body with an OK level of carbonation. I think a little bit more body would be great here; the creaminess would complement the banana very well.

Drinkability: pretty darn drinkable. I think the novelty of the flavor and the bit of sweetness would start to wear pretty thin on me, though, after a couple of pints. This is a very middle-of-the-road beer; definitely worth trying but not something I'd want too often.

flagmantho, Aug 22, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of ripe bananas. Taste is also dominated by bananas, some malts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a unique and good quality brew.

tone77, Aug 20, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Pours to a clear caramel-brown with a small, light-brown head. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Smells, obviously, of banana and faint hops. Very reminiscent of banana pudding.

Taste: Surprisingly the banana takes a backseat to the grains and spicy hops. Faint banana and sweet honey in the finish. Overall tastes good however I was hoping for the banana to be more prominent.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin bodied with not too much carbonation.

Drinkability: Although the flavor is not as potent as I would have hoped, the alcohol is surprisingly well-hidden. Taste's is fairly good, although weak, so overall the drinkability is pretty good.

darkmartin, Aug 20, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

16.09oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a darkish amber with a short lived frothy head that left behind a bubbly film the whole beer through. Fairly good retention of that film though. Patches of soapy spots of lace remained.
S: Dominant notes of synthetic banana. Smells a lot like banana pudding cups or banana taffy or candy or something. Underneath the fruity sweetness there are subtle notes of spices. Not picking up much bread. Slight roasted maltiness.
T: Not as much banana as the nose, but a bit more toasted bready flavor. The banana flavors taste a lot more real, like overly ripened bananas. Notes of honey in the finish. This beer has some sweetness to it, but the flavors were not as rich as I thought they'd be.
M: Prickly carbonation over a thin body and slick sugary mouthfeel.
D: If there was like an "imperial" or "extra" version of this where it was thicker and more flavorful I think it would be better. Overall it doesn't really taste bad, but there is something missing. Try it one then move on.

scottfrie, Aug 20, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -6%

Finally finding the chance to give this one a try. I was curious to try it every time I spotted in on the shelf at my local grocery. Sounds interesting. Best by date: 2/24/11 printed on the side. 16.9oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear dark orange with plenty of visible bubbles popping skyward. A small white head caps this off. Leaves some light lace. Faint scents of banana candy, minerals, and marshmallows.

The mouth on this is crisp. Carbonation level is moderately high. Decent body. The banana isn't as forefront as I'd have thought, or really wanted. Faintly present in the aftertaste. Fresh breads take its place. A slight mineral twang on the back end as well. Faint English hop bite. All-in-all, this wasn't too bad. Not all that I expected, but still decent. I even finished off the last half of the bottle paired with some actual banana bread. Why not? I like the pairing. I could see this becoming a decent dessert beer, maybe with some pie.

Onenote81, Aug 17, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

My son came across this beer while I was hunting through a very long beer isle. "Dad look! Banana Bread Beer!" So I got a bottle to try.

A: Appropriate appearance. The deep brown but clear color is what you would expect from the crust of a loaf of banana bread.

S: Best feature of this bear. It smells precisely like banana bread. The smell was not overly strong or chemical.

T: While the banana notes were good and the beer balanced, I found the taste too thin. The first few sips were a novelty, the next few were quite good. I lost interest in the last half the bottle however.

M: Thin. Not enough malt backbone.

D: I did not finish the entire bottle.

The flavor profile of the banana-y-ness, yes that is a technical term, was spot on. In the end though the beer itself didn't hold up for me.

Dose, Aug 11, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -4%

A - Poured a beautiful deep golden color with a thin, quickly
dissipating head

S - Banana, Bread, a bit of grain

T - Tastes like a ripe banana with strong malts in the
background

M - Well Carbonated (more so than most people
describe, perhaps this is an anomaly) and crisp,
reasonably light

D - One of my first fruit beers, tastes pretty decent,
though because of the ripe banana flavor hard to drink
a lot. Will probably try again, but not first on my
list.

oc0dyc, Aug 11, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured a bourbon colored brown with perfect clarity, a very minimal head, which dissipated quickly and no lacing to speak of.

The aroma is of bourbon, bananas and bread.

The flavor is reminiscent of bananas, and bread with a slight pop of sour from a citrus note.

The mouthfeel was lively despite the lack of any head when poured, and very thin.

Drinkability is poor. Not much to like about this strange brew. Lacks richness one would expect to see from anything with bananas in it and it's lack of body and octane left me with no reason to every open another one.

ABOWMan, Aug 08, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours with minimal head, which disappears quickly. Very low carbonation.

The appearance is a medium brown, generally clear. No lacing or head -- just a little skim foam on the top. Pretty average.

The smell is of bananas. Yep, it's banana beer -- the bottle didn't lie.

The taste is not bad, if you like banana and bread together. If you're a fan of banana bread, this beer will appeal to you. Not as overpowering as I expected. No hops that I can discern -- just malt and banana.

The mouthfeel is far thinner than I was expecting. A little let-down by that.

The drinkability is fine -- you do get a bit tired of the banana, but the mild sweetness mixes well with the malt. Easy to drink, though not necessarily impressive.

The beer is a bit of a novelty, but it's not bad.

TheOtherBob, Aug 08, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 50cl bottle into a tulip.

A - Mahogany/brown colour. Zero head to speak of..

S - Smells just like what it should.. banana bread!!

T - Slightly sweet and phenolic at first. Touch of bitterness gives it a taste not unlike a weak lager mixed with bananas. Malty/bready taste comes through as well.

M - Nothing special; smooth with a touch of sweetness. If there was some more head here it would help to give this beer some more definition and could make it quite nice. Still not unpleasant though.

D - Well it's not unpleasant.. but why?

Was very excited when I saw this in the shop and thought I should buy immediately. Apart from the smell it's been a big disappointment.

xylophonica, Aug 06, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

A: poured brown with orange highlights that had a half finger of hea that left a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: I definitely get the banana bread with cinnamon and various grain notes.

T: I cannot deny the banana flavor but the bready notes aren't there like he nose and I actually get more malts as well. It kinda tasate like banana candy.

M: light body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet. And grainy finish.

D: this beer drinks exceptionally good for a fruit beer and is not too sweet. I really use to drink this brew on a daily as a session beer years ago beer I became a beer advocate and I can tell how my palate has evolved because this beer was the shit to me.

Gobzilla, Jul 31, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

From an 11.2 oz bottle into a tumbler.

A- Clear and still, the color of ginger ale, with a grey delicate head that quickly retreats to a film that doesn't hang on for the life of the drink. Would like to see a bit more life in the body.

S- Banana taffy way up front, nutty banana bread in the background. Maybe a little too sweet and artificial smelling, but for uniqueness and to style I don't mind scoring above average.

T- Shining point. Despite the artificial tasting bananas (which incidentally it is made with real fair trade bananas) the flavor really pulls together the malts and yeast beautifully to make a beer that tastes as close to fresh-baked bread as possible (banana or otherwise). I won't fault this beer on flavor, even if I can understand why some won't enjoy it.

M- Medium, some creamy carbonation with a slight bite late.

D- More of a novelty than any kind of staple beer, for sure, but it is surprising how easily taken back this one is. I could definitely do two in a row before being compelled to move on.

rawthar, Jul 25, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had it served in a pint glass at a pizza join.

Appearance - It is a clear golden brown brew with a light cream colored head.

Smell - I could smell vanilla, maybe pecan or walnut tones, a slight yeast note, and the aroma of ripe bananas.

Taste - The immediate flavors of caramel and vanilla are followed by banana. Definetly tastes like banana bread. Definelty a subtle beer with the overall flavors. Virtually no alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel - A lighter, thinner brew with slight amounts of carbonation.

Drinkability - It is a unique brew, but definetly a good "drinker." Worth a shot.

bigbodybussey, Jul 24, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -4%

A-Pours a clear copper color with a smallish head and virtually no lacing on the glass.
S-Malty,bready, syrupy, with dark fruit aromas and of course bananas.
T-It tastes like banana bread...oh that's right that's the name of this. The banana bready taste is up front with a malty finish. Would have liked a little more lasting afternotes of the banana.
M-Thin with minimal carbonation, very close to tasting a little flat.
D-An average beer at least for the curiosity factor, but really nothing more than that.

bierenutz, Jul 19, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Pours a nice light amber with a nice airy 2 finger head.

S - Wow, this smells like....banana bread...warm banana bread! Extremely sweet caramel, cinnamon, raisins, maple.

T - Same as the smell. Nice sweet malt comes through and it ends with a dull spiciness on the finish. Towards the end it kinda reminds me of that 99 bananas liqueur.

M- Medium creamy body.

Who doesn't like banana bread? This beer is exactly what the label says. I must say it was quite enjoyable. I was expecting to taste like odd fake banana flavor but it was very tasty. If you like banana bread you should try this beer. It would be nice to a few of these around for desert.

StaveHooks, Jul 14, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

16.9 oz bottle, chilled. $7.49 at a New Leaf market

I was disappointed in this beer, expected it to have a sweeter banana flavor. Pours an amber-golden color, not much head to it. Noticeable carbonation. The aroma was nice, you can definitely smell the banana. The taste threw me off, mostly a lager but slightly more bitter. Had a slight banana taste in the background, but I actually would have liked more. I barely finished the whole thing, wouldn't buy it again unless it was much cheaper.

Sudsy89, Jul 14, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 1 pint 0.9 oz bottle into my East End Brewing Co. pint glass...

A - Poured a clear copper/amber color with the slightest of eggshell white heads (about half of a finger).

S - Smells like it says it should; banana bread. I feel it's more the fruit and spices than a "bread" smell. But it smells like a cold banana bread that was just pulled out ofthe fridge. There is a solid malt backgound that all of the banana bread flavors dance around upon.

T - Banana bread flavors up front and a solid big malt finish. The banana is much more subdued than it was in the nose. Malt, almost toasted caramel malt, becomes the bigger bolder flavor on the tongue. Some toffee like flavors also come about as the beer warms a little.

M - Has this tickling feeling as I swallow it. Slightly carbonated and a medium feel on the palate. Very very very light on the back of the pallate

D - Well, I don't really know. I mean, I guess if you're a HUGE fan of banana bread, then this might be the one for you. I am a huge fan ofbanana bread and I still didn't find this the most appetizing of beers. Pretty much a banana flavored lager.

KAP1356, Jul 14, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

I poured this beer into two different glasses and a flared pilsner produced the best experience. It was an unusual beer but pleasant.

A: It had a deep clear amber and a semi-foamy head.

S: Just like the bottle indicates, it smelled like banana bread, but there were also hints of malt. It had good bubble retention and the banana aroma became more dominate as I neared the bottom of the glass.

T: As one might guess, it tasted like banana bread. Aside from the banana flavor there was a nice maltiness in the background. As the beer reached the bottom of the glass the taste of banana became more pronounced.

D: It had a nice drinkability. It took me longer to drink this beer compared to other lighter lagers.

Overall I would recommend this simply because it was interesting. I don't think I could drink this everyday or once a week, but I could see myself getting this once a year during winter. I would suggest having this as an after dinner beer or with dessert.

LacquerHead, Jul 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours yellow with a big fluffy white head.

Smells like banana Runts. Kinda off-putting, but I happen to like banana Runts.

Tastes like banana Runts with a little yeast and nutty "bread" finish. Not bad when you give it some time.

The feel is fairly nice and creamy.

Not too bad. I'd have it again, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

RomaniIteDomum, Jul 04, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden/amber color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, banana, hops, and slight vanilla. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a slight dryness noticeable. Tastes of strong banana (just like banana flavored smarties), pale malt, yeast, slight grain, and slight spice (clove). Overall, good aroma and body.

Tone, Jun 29, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Got from a co-worker. Thanks, Robin!

Poured a dark golden color into tulip glass. The smell of banana bread enters the nostrils. The taste of banana is definitely on the palate. Average mouthfeel. Light backend. Nothing overwhelming. Decent drinkability with a banana bread flavor. Overall, a decent beer with a banana taste.

Westsidebuddha, Jun 25, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -27.5%

Amazingly horrible, why were so many beer lovers telling us to try this?!?!? Thankfully this was a courtesy bottle by a local beer store.

A= light yellow, not much else.

S= banana, the kind that comes from chemically created fake-banana taste and scent.

T= bitter, surgical, I've had better prescribed and nasty medications, this stuff just tasted like mediocre beer with a quick fix of adding raw chemical banana-flavor like they use in scientific research. All of us put our glasses down after the first sip and made groaning and moaning sounds. I continued on with mine, just hoping for some salvation but I found none.

M= chemical, bitter, nasty.

D= 3 glasses down the drain should tell you something.

therica, Jun 23, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Lives up to the name. Smells more like banana than it tastes, but the flavor is present. A yeasty, bready flavor follows the initial banana taste. Not much more to this beer, a tad stale on the finish, but a good fruit beer and unique to say the least.

uustal, Jun 23, 2010