Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden/amber color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, banana, hops, and slight vanilla. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a slight dryness noticeable. Tastes of strong banana (just like banana flavored smarties), pale malt, yeast, slight grain, and slight spice (clove). Overall, good aroma and body.

Tone, Jun 29, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Got from a co-worker. Thanks, Robin!

Poured a dark golden color into tulip glass. The smell of banana bread enters the nostrils. The taste of banana is definitely on the palate. Average mouthfeel. Light backend. Nothing overwhelming. Decent drinkability with a banana bread flavor. Overall, a decent beer with a banana taste.

Westsidebuddha, Jun 25, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -27.5%

Amazingly horrible, why were so many beer lovers telling us to try this?!?!? Thankfully this was a courtesy bottle by a local beer store.

A= light yellow, not much else.

S= banana, the kind that comes from chemically created fake-banana taste and scent.

T= bitter, surgical, I've had better prescribed and nasty medications, this stuff just tasted like mediocre beer with a quick fix of adding raw chemical banana-flavor like they use in scientific research. All of us put our glasses down after the first sip and made groaning and moaning sounds. I continued on with mine, just hoping for some salvation but I found none.

M= chemical, bitter, nasty.

D= 3 glasses down the drain should tell you something.

therica, Jun 23, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Lives up to the name. Smells more like banana than it tastes, but the flavor is present. A yeasty, bready flavor follows the initial banana taste. Not much more to this beer, a tad stale on the finish, but a good fruit beer and unique to say the least.

uustal, Jun 23, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

This is one of my favorite beers to drink not only because my friends are always more interested in me while I drink it, but also because I love bananas. With that said, I hope to not make my review too biased. If you like bananas, this is worth a try.

A- Not much to say here. Average beer yellow color with an average head. Nothing special

S- Smells like, oh you guessed it, bananas. Like a monkey's cage the morning-after. This could be a turn-off for some, but it entices me.

T- Tastes like an average, cheap American lager as you drink but leaves a distinct after taste of bananas that is delicious

M- Carbonated and a bit thin. I wish it had more of a "bread" feel to it, but it is nicer than most beers

D- This beer is highly drinkable because it leaves such a pleasant after taste that always calls you back for more. Overall, it is nothing earth-shattering but is a very enjoyable, and different, beer to try

DuffManOhYeah, Jun 21, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +6%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Delirium tulip. 5.2% ABV, 03/11/10 on the neck, not sure if that's best before or bottled on.

A - A tall pour creates a frothy off-white head but is very poorly retained and leaves absolutely no lace on the glass. The beer is a clear amber-brown with good carbonation.

S - Warm, soft, moist banana bread fresh from the oven is a delicious nose that does the beer's name justice. Hints of lightly toasted malts fall behind and let the banana bread do all the work here.

T - The banana bread is backed off a bit in the flavor. More of the toasted caramel malt and tiny English hop hint is prevalent than the banana bread.

M - Medium-bodied and high in carbonation with a soft tickle to the finish. Banana Bread goes down smoothly with a lingering banana finish.

D - Very drinkable for what it is. I remember having this a while back and it being much better; more full banana bread flavor.

BeerFMAndy, Jun 21, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

A: This poured clear copper with some light tan head.
S: It smelled like ripe bananas with some nutty malt and bready yeast and a bit of lemon and copper.
T: It tasted primarily of bananas (not quite ripe), with some bready yeast and a bit of light nutty malt and metallic hops. It had a fairly clean bitter aftertaste.
M: It was slightly thick with moderate carbonation.
D: This was just as expected. Clean and drinkable and quite unique. It's not something I would crave often, but it was nice to try once.

Pencible, Jun 19, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours a copper color with a very small amount of head. Some minimal lacing around the glass as you drink. Carbonation looks about right. It looks about average, but as a "bready" beer I had hoped it would be a little more "bready" looking.

S: Wow, very sweet... candy, bubble gum, and (obviously) lots of banana. There is also some spiciness in there. To me, the aroma cloys at the fact that the "banana flavor added" may not be natural.

T: The taste very much follows the smell, although the hops are a bit more detectable. The hop/malt balance is pretty good, but almost undetectable. There is no doubt that this is a very sweet brew. As a fan of banana bread, I would say this does it justice as a beer, although I am a little concerned about what "banana flavor added" means.

M: I think the mouthfeel of this beer was somewhat of a letdown as I found it to be a bit thin, definitely not "bready." That said, it isn't at all watery, and the carbonation is nice, so it isn't a total loss.

D: Although I was a bit disappointed with the lighter mouthfeel, it definitely improved the drinkability of this beer. Probably too sweet to be a good session beer, but it sits pretty light in the stomach and goes down nice.

Overall, glad I picked this one off the shelf. I had seen it several times but never took the plunge because it was a bit on the expensive side. Probably wouldn't pick it up again unless it was on sale, or I had a super craving for banana bread, but I don't feel that my money was wasted. A unique beer, to say the least.

kflorence, Jun 19, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 mL bottle ('cuz this beer ain't cheap, so I went small on the first try)

Pours a clear amber, on the lighter yellow side, with a 1/2 in. white head.

Initial smell contained no banana, just some malty bread...however, banana aroma became detectable as it warmed. My recommendation: wait 15 minutes (or more) after removing from fridge before pouring. After all, the English like their beer "cool."

Tastes of a slightly spiced ale, with a syrupy banana flavor (that doesn't taste "fake"). Definitely sweet, but not sickeningly so. Also, bready - the name fits!

This beer is fairly thick and filling, very creamy on the palate and I would absolutely give mouthfeel a 5 save for two things: aggressive fizz and some wateriness in the aftertaste.

Not a very drinkable beer...unless you've had nothing to eat all day and want to get drunk on several of these. Otherwise, I would never want more than one of this dessert-like beer.

pandashaver, Jun 17, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

For what they were trying to go for I think they did a good job, but what they were going for may not be the best thing ever. The color wasn't very attractive, it is an ugly dull brownish, orange-ish mess. The aroma is a lot stronger than I was hoping for, I wasn't expecting it to smell exactly like banana bread, but it does. Just on the nose there was very little else. The initial taste is a banana attack and a very strong attack at that. The mid palate taste and even feels a bit like butterscotch which is I think saves it from being too overwhelming. The finish is a little watered down which was actually quite pleasant. I definitely think that this isn't a beer you can drink often but was exciting anyway and could probably be had with some food.

srvisgod88, Jun 15, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Very attractive caramel/amber color with moderate white head

Aroma: Malty with a hint of banana. There's a very clear banana bread undertone, almost like it's baking in the oven while you are brewing beer.

Taste: Tastes EXACTLY like banana bread - in a very good way. I love the flavor because it is so unexpected in a beer. It's warm and toasty and malty, and the banana just blends into the other flavors so well

Mouthfeel: Medium body, bordering on heavy/full in the mouth

Drinkability: While it's easy to drink, I don't think anyone would want to drink more than one bottle per sitting. Sort of like how one piece of banana bread is great, but I don't want to eat the whole loaf.

Notes: While I can't see this being for everyone, I love banana bread and love oddly/full flavored beers... so I love this.

seh410, Jun 04, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Clear amber. Poured with a tiny white head that quickly disappeared. Some blobbly lacing that didn't really stick around.

S- Wow! Sweet spices (cinnamon, clove), banana. Pretty darned close to actually sniffing a loaf of bread.

T- Like the smell, but very watered down. Banana, spices, and pink bubblegum. Light bitter aftertaste. Underwhelming.

M- Light bodied, pretty close to water. Weak carbonation. To its credit it is refreshing.

D- I wasn't sure what to expect from this even after reading the reviews. The smell was great and really got my hopes up, but I was disappointed with how weak the flavor was. Worth trying once, but amp up the flavor a bit and I might be more interested in drinking it again.

misinformed, Jun 02, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Amber, clear, with a two finger bubbly head, that had minimal retention and a little bit of stick on the sides.

S - A lot of banana, bit of nut, some floral spice.

T - Tastes a lot like banana, which is good. A little bit sour on the end. Actually might finish a little bit bitter. The banana is fairly real tasting, which makes this a solid take on a fruit beer.

M - Medium, kind of sugary.

D - Pretty easy to drink, could probably do more than one.

AgentZero, Jun 01, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Poured into a 16oz glass dark translucent amber color. Little to no head very thin.

S- Distinct banana the most prominent smell not as overpowering as I expected however. Little nutty smell as well.

T- Banana is extremely prevalent here pretty much the only thing I can taste.

M- Very smooth. Barely any kind of feel at all.

D- Not a big fan of very strong fruit tastes however this one did not turn me off as I expected.

mpdurrigan, May 30, 2010
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pretty nice gold-amber color with a very thin stark white head that dissipates to a ring around the glass about halfway through. Smells include tangy sweet malt, ripe banana, and some spices, nutmeg or allspice maybe. The taste follows with sweet malt and banana, same difficult to pinpoint spice, with a hint of brown sugar. Nicely balanced, the hops do their job and give just a little kick but are not prominent. They do come out a little more as the beer warms up, and a little bit of rye-like spice comes out.
The texture of this beer is definitely the best part of it, light-medium bodied with a great creaminess, feels like it leaves a light coating of banana cream on my tongue that lasts for a couple minutes after a drink. Highly drinkable, nothing disagreeable about it at all (if you like banana, and if not why pick up this beer?); smooth, light, and the banana and sweetness are present but not cloying.
A beer that doesn't quite live up to the deliciousness of it's name, but pleasant and well crafted.

busternuggz, May 28, 2010

Poured into a pint glass at room temperature this beer started with a thick foamy white head that dissipated with the first sip

Smell: Floral/bananas

Taste: Slight spice/bananas!

I am a huge fan of banana beers and this one rocked my world. I had first discovered the world of banana beer through a much more subtle beer called El Jefe Weizen Ale of Hale's Ales. I recently went to my co-op and couldn't find El Jefe so I tried this beer and I now prefer it.

mreimer, May 26, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Poured into a standard pint glass that was at room temperature. A small 1/2 inch white head that dissipates quickly with no lacing. A little amber color that is very clean and clear.

S- Just as I expected, banana bread! A little more nutty than sweet. A malty caramel aroma is also there, but the banana is very overpowering.

T- The flavor is banana but not as sweet as I would have thought. There is a spice in the background, but I'm not sure what. You can also get a grassy hop flavor in the finish. The beer is actually a little crisp and bitter. I thought it would be a little more doughy.

MF- Very crisp and refreshing !

D- A very easy to drink beer, but I think one is plenty. Not that I didn't like the beer, just the banana flavor would get old quickly.

iuhophead87, May 23, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

After long anticipation (and waiting for a 12 oz size to come in) I was finally able to try this beer being that I love Banana Bread.

When pouring the beer, it's a copper color, and has little to no head.

When opening the bottle immediately you're presented with a strong smell of bananas.

The taste was just like it smelled, like banana's. It made me feel like I was drinking an actual loaf of banana bread.

The mouthfeel was the only down part of this beer as there wasn't much any

Overall this beer is very drinkable and worth the wait. I knew once I opened the bottle that it would be a good one and I would definitely buy again.

beerguru15, May 16, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -4%

Copper colored with an off-white head that quickly settles to a thin lace. Smells of bananas (gosh!) and a slight mineral smell. Tastes of bananas, bubbblegum, and a slightly bitter hops bite and a touch of calcium. The aftertaste has a touch of cinnamon as well. Mouthfeel is soft, with a touch of carbonation. Very drinkable. Good balance of the sweet with the hops elements. I like it :)

roblowther, May 15, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -37%

Appearance: brilliant dark gold color, with a fleeting white head. The color of the beer is impressive and unique.

Smell: yeasty, banana, some spice

Taste: like an artificially flavored banana taffy, yeast, some spice.

Mouthfeel: slick

Drinkability: While this did capture the flavor of banana it was the taste of artificial sweetner mixed with banana. I went into it with an open-mind, many beers have banana undertones. Too much. Not my cup of tea. I would not buy this again.

beersheppard, May 10, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a large clear bottle into tulip glass.

Appearance: Deep golden, almost amber, in color with a tan foamy head that didn't retain long, but left a little nice lacing behind.

Smell: Very pronounced sweet banana smell with a little spice. Very nice!

Taste: Sweet banana and spice flavor, but not as pronounced as the smell would indicate. Overall a nice sweet banana flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin and light with low carbonation. Not bad, but nothing special.

Drinkability: Was an interesting change of pace. I would compare this to a fruity lambic or belgian style. Nice and sweet with some spice and obvious banana flavor. Could easily session a few of these. Although, I like fruity beers, others might not.

ChopperSmith, May 06, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

I was pleasantly surprised upon drinking this beer. i really liked it!

Unfortunately it's a little price ($4.99) a bottle but it's well worth it, at least to try. I homebrewed a pumpkin beer last fall that smelled strongly of bananas (this beer smelled JUST LIKE the pumpkin beer I made). The smell, however, was the only similarity to that homebrew.

Maybe it's because my tastes / memories are being distorted here, but the best way I can describe this beer is that it's Southern Tier's Pumking infused with bananas.

pavyaz19, May 06, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +16%

Okay, let's get the negatives out of the way first. I had this beer about 9 years ago and it was then brewed by Charles Wells who stated on the label - '568ml, A full English pint'. Since then Wells and Young's have merged and the bottle has been downgraded to the standard 500ml size and I blame Young's for this tampering.

500ml clear bottle poured into a Hobgoblin pint pot.

A. Deep, clear orange colour bordering on coppery. Head is bubbly white that stayed on top of the ale for a short while.

N. Banana and fruity malt dominate the nose. I also get notes that are reminiscent of a Belgian kriek, similar to a Belle Vue kriek or a Rodenbach. As the beer warms up in the glass the kriek aromas come to the fore.

T. A heavy banana sweetness that is pleasant rather than overpowering. Some fruity malt accompanies the banana along with a nice peppery hoppiness.

M. Surprisingly light for a beer of this strength.

I had this beer a number of years ago and since Well's have merged with Young's there are notable differences. First, the banana taste is not as long as it originally was and the beer is predominently more carbonated these days and if I am honest I would say it is too carbonated. Having said all this, it is still a good drinking session beer, I just wish it was still like it was when it was first brewed.

AEK, May 04, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Color was amber in color with not alot of head.

Smell was of bananas, a little caramel maybe, really did smell like banana bread.

Taste wasn't as good as the smell but better than I thought it would be, tasted somewhat like a banana laffy taffy.

Mouthfeel wasn't too impressive, little carbonation, but have had worse.

Overall drinkability isn't bad if you like fruity tasting beer I guess. I did like it, but wasn't overly impressed.

mrstevens, Apr 28, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A= pours a brownish amber color that is completely translucent and holds a small one finger head thats totally white and holds some average retention. Large bubbles in the middle and thin bubbles on the outside.

S= Very much like banana bread I guess. Nice Banana as well as some of the typical spices you find n banana bread. There is a decent doughy biscuty smell to it. Really not much of a "beer" smell to it.

T= Different than the smell for sure. Here it takes on a more "beer" like character. There is still the banana in the taste but it's not as deep. The spices are also less obvious. Front the front it tastes like doughy malt. Biscuty and a little sweet. The finish is more like the smell with the banana bread characters and a small hop bite to it.

M= Low carbonation. Sort of slick and watery.

D= Pretty decent brew. Definitally unique but not something I would go for all the time. I may get some more however just because I really like banana bread. Everyone should have this beer once.

jjanega08, Apr 28, 2010