Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Min carbonation, almost no head or lacing, clear copper

Smell - Banana bread/popsicle

Taste - Banana, bread, sweetness, dried hops

Mouthfeel - Good carb, lotsa banana, good volume

Overall - this is a unique beer that if u r looking for something different it will work. Thanks to spinrsx for sharing, was a nice split.

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Different! Not a beer I would personally choose, but delivers all of the "banana bread" promised on the label.

Clear, golden amber with decent carbonation, head & mouthfeel. Aroma is pure banana, almost liqueur-like. Malty and bready elements enter into the taste. Sweet flavour follows into the bready finish.

Would recommend to any banana bread aficionado...

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance-Clear amber body with pretty much no head or lacing.

Smell-Smells like Banana Bread. Light booze Just a ton of Banana, some biscuit malt, light nuttiness and spice. Very interesting, and fits the mold, but now what I want to smell.

Taste-Like the smell, it tastes like banana bread, but just very light and boring. Semi-Sweet off the bat with some banana, spice and nuttiness. Followed by watery nothing. I can see why some may like the taste, but not for me.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, low carbonation. It's drinkable, but watery and ehhhh, kinda sucks.

Overall-I don't like this beer. However, I do have to give them some props. Although I will probably never drink this again, I would reccomend it to the right person.

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A- Pours an amber color with a thick creamy head that thins to provide decent lacing.

S- WOW, Banana bread in a glass! Banana's, walnuts, wheat, smells like straight from the oven. Very impressed.

T- The banana comes through strong, reminds me of a hefe. Sweet and malty with a candy like finish, a little too sweet on the finish but still leaves a pleasant aftertaste. A unique taste!

M- Good carbonation balance, a little creamy.

Overall a good brew! It's like a hefe on steroids. This would make a great dessert beer.

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

a: a cloudy gold/amber with a nice fluffy off-white head. Good formation and stayed for a while. little lacing

s: Dead on banana bread. the whole thing: banana, cloves, yeast, walnut...it is all here and truly incredible. Makes my mouth water...the scent is slightly faux smelling though...more of a banana flavoring than real banana.

t: sweet banana hits up front with a nutty following of pecan/walnut. this trails into a watery territory I wish it didn't. great start, less than average finish.

m: decent fizz but not too much make it creamy in texture, though this is a bit more thin than I'd prefer.

o: Great smell to this that makes you love it. The taste holds up to the smell in the beginning but leaves you underwhelmed as it becomes too water. I'd get this again once in a while when I'm looking for a sweeter brew which won't fill you up.

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle dated 07/03/12- assumedly the expiry date.

Pours a light amber, with a finger width of white head. Pretty standard stuff.

The beer is skunked (yay for clear bottles), so that smell comes through, unfortunately. However, an overpowering banana smell comes through very clearly. I was actually surprised by how potent the banana smell was. This beer really does smell like banana bread. I don't really smell anything else, but that is probably enough. However, perhaps not surprisingly, while the banana bread smell is unmistakable, it is not as GOOD as actual banana bread. It does smell somewhat artificial, and likes the warm bready scent of the real thing.

Taste is quite disappointing. An artificial, medicine-like banana taste comes through, but divorced of the bread. I had expected the malt to play a larger role in the taste than it does. A lingering and not particularly pleasant bitterness finishes the taste. The beer is quite watery, which negatively impacts the taste.

Mouthfeel is over carbonated and thin. Not to my liking.

Overall, a disappointment, even though my expectations were not particularly high. I like banana bread a lot, but I think I will stick to the real thing. The beer would be improved somewhat if it was not in a clear bottle, and was not subject to being skunked.

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

500ml bottle
5.2% ABV
I tried this beer on June 11, 2011 after purchasing at one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer poured a translucent red colour with a very thin white cap. The aroma was banana, spices, grainy malt, and floral hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The flavour is mild fruit, spices, and acidic maltiness.

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

Saw it at my local liquor mart and had to try it.

Poured the entire bottle on a schooner glass and it appears with an amber color and a white foam head.

The smell is definitely no contradiction to this beer's name- bananas all around. Some hints of clove are possible to detect.

The taste is superb and although it's a lambic beer it could easily become one of my favorite beers.
Again, banana flavor is predominant with little traces of bitterness and very little aftertaste.

Overall, a great tasting beer to share with friends, especially those afraid of hoppier beers.

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours a translucent amber color with a minimal white head; only a few seconds of retention.

S: Overwhelming banana esthers block out almost everything else. Reminds me of an organic chemistry experiment I performed to create the artificial banana smell. I suppose there are some faint hints of malt in the background.

T: A weird combination of malty beer and candy-like banana flavor. As much as I like these things on their own, they don't really come together for me here. A little bit of bitterness comes through on the finish.

M: Medium-bodied with a little bit a carbonation. Not too much to speak of here.

D: The alcohol doesn't come through at all, but no less, it's not particularly pleasant to drink because of the strange flavor combination.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Impossible to pass this one up. What a brilliant idea, I thought. I'd recently tasted a stellar ESB by Wells, and figured this was a no brainer. Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Crystal clear amber brew with a massive pillowy head. Eventually settled but never fully.

S - Hmmm, bananas, yes, but something more akin to banana candy than the clove/phenol/spice aroma of a hefeweizen.

T - Sweet malty body with even sweeter banana flavoring. 1 pt 0.9 oz bottle is far too much. A 7oz bottle and I may have scored higher as a dessert beer, but drinking an entire one is quite the chore. No hop bite to balance.

M - Light body, smooth finish, and a decent carbonation level.

D - It has several issues, but it is still tasty. I'd recommend splitting a bottle with 2-3 people, as this is infinitely better in small doses.

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

I am away from The CANQuest (TM) for a short time, bottle be back to it in quick order, I assure you.

From the bottle: "Long ago, ale was known as 'Liquid Bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fairtrade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer."; "An inspired brew made with our natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. tempting Banoffee [?] aromas & flavours are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops."

Recipe for Banana Bread: Take two large milk jugs and one fur-lined mixing bowl. Manipulate all until mixing bowl is well-greased. Insert banana. Remove banana. Repeat until banana is soft and mixing bowl is filled with fresh cream. CAVEAT: If bread begins to rise, leave town IMMEDIATELY, leaving no forwarding address.

What a buncha monkey business ... Banana Bread Beer, indeed! I remember the first time I made banana bread - it was in Home Ec (Foods 1), just before the Thanksgiving break. It was astounding! We had it with our dinner, slathered with butter and I can taste it even today. Thank you, Mrs. Minnich, for a project that projects itself into my latest passion.

The beer peeled out of the bottle at a speed unrivaled by any CANned beer. It really took me by surprise, so I got yellow and ran away until it had a chance to settle. The head was a puffy, pillow-y two-plus fingers of thick, yellow-white head that held in until a big exhalation of CO2, when it fell all at once. By Gar, I can smell bananas everywhere! Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Now, if you thought BUPGOO! was wrong in being marketed to the kiddies, this is so far afield that I cannot believe that it exists. I am going to see if my current beau (she from "Cabaret" - 'If You Could See Her') approves. She does! Oh, my darling monkey. Wait, I see a monkey with a bomb! It's Inspector Clouseau yelling about "A minkey with a bimb!" or somesuch. These Brits ... it's so hard to tell what they're on about at times. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, so maybe he was saying something about it being thin. Why can't the British speak English? It's so confounding! Now, it's "Planet of the Apes" - Get your hands off of my banana beer, you damn dirty ape! It's irresistible to the simian set, apparently. Have you ever seen Woody Allen in "Bananas"? He sports a Che/Fidel beard that lends itself to my nickname. Taste was as advertised - bananas with a hint of caramel. Finish was very banana and if I liked bananas, that would be a good thing. The hops monkey on my back nodded in agreement.

1.3/5  rDev -62.8%

500ml clear bottle poured into a pint glass.
ABV 5.2%

A - Poured a clear gold to amber colour with a thin to non -existent head. No lacing.

S - Banana candy and a light skunkiness. The banana aroma comes off as artificial.

T - Sweet bananas, light sourness, and a harsh bitter metallic finish. For Banana bread I would expecting more malts and some spiciness here.

M - Heavy, flat, and dry.

O - Drain pour. As much as I love banana bread this doesn't taste good at all.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Hmmm; I had my hopes up for this one, and was let down by the seeming un-naturalness of it.

The beer poured a beautiful light translucent golden brown, with longer lasting head, full and bubbly.

The banana smell was immediately apparent and predominant, with very little noticeable hops.

The taste was the letdown. Instead of the expected sweet creamy breadiness, the beer seemed thin, and malty, more of a malt liquor that had been artificially flavored. I've tasted real banana esther in my favorite doppelboch, and would prefer that next time. Some people hate Blueberry beer, claiming its too artificial. That was the case here. Hops so light as to be unnoticeable, and no character other than the banana flavor; no real sweetness, and even a little bitter.

Felt relatively light, not medium-bodied, nor creamy. Too thin.

Probably won't go for it again; might be nice mixed with another alcohol like vodka, as a flavoring for a mixed drink...It lacked hopping and body.

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle

Appearance - Clear amber/copper colour with a small size fizzy white coloured head. There is a slightly lower than average amount of carbonation and there is a fair amount of lacing. The head lasted for maybe 2 minutes... if that.

Smell – Bananas, malts, caramel, grains

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and of course most of the taste is made up of bananas. it actually reminded me a little bit of how a banana Popsicle tastes. There are also some malt flavours and some caramel. The beer finishes with a banana sweet aftertaste.

Overall – Well.. it tasted kind of like banana bread I guess.. It's definitely worth trying this beer just for novelty. I'm not sure I could drink more than 1 in a sitting though. I don't think I'd buy it again.

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Pours a clear dark golden with a dime of white head.

S: Yep banana, mild roasted malt and faint hint of acetone.

T: Banana upfront moving into roasted malt. Finish is a slight hop bitterness.

M: Light body with average carbonation.

O: One and done for me.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Moderately dark straw with a thin ring of off white foam. Surprisingly pleasing aromas of over-ripe banana, vanilla,brown sugar, perfume. Sweet with medium bitterness to balance. I like the sweetness in this one. Good dose of bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied, quite active carbonation, but also creamy. Enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a nice honey brown colour with a surprisingly small head that quickly becomes a collar leaving minimal lacing.

Smells like honey-sweetened banana bread. The banana smell is natural and accented by a slight spiciness, raisin and a corn syrup note. Would have liked a bit more body to the malt.

Somewhat bitter up front with a chocolate note. Sweet malts take over from there, with a biting peppery twang in the middle. I also get a bit of bubblegum after it warms up .

Quite bready on the tongue, but helped down by a visible medium carbonation. Leaves a bit of a yeasty feeling behind, but on the watery side overall.

Pretty good dessert or "snack" beer and not overly sweet despite having both corn and sugar. Could be a regular pickup alongside Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

A - poured a one finger head which quickly dissipated - no carbonation and watery - amber - clear - little lacing

S - lots of bananas and a skunky malt

T - an off skunky malt - lots of banana extract -biscuit - bitter - hard water - cloying sweetness - unbalanced

M - no carbonation and light bodied - watery - dry

O - disappointing effort from Wells - an interesting beer but it can't overcome all of its apparent shortcomings

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

Pale amber/orange colour, light white head, no lace. Smell is almost identical to a banana popsicle, malty and fairly big in that department but you would never know it from all the banana. Taste is banana, malt rolls in and brings a nice bitterness with it, biscuity with banana in finish and aftertaste. Medium body and slightly syrupy, mild carbonation. This isn't bad and quite different, I could drink this again but not for a good little while though this may just not be my thing.

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle from LCBO summer seasonal.

Clear bottle...pours into a mug a pale golden with a good size banana coloured head. Nose is banana esters and malty. Taste is rather subdued and weak. Subtle hints of a hefe in the esters present, certainly a banana taste and more malt in the flavour. Mouthfeel is light and watery. Overall a dissapointment, weak on flavour and gimmicky, not to be revisited. Shame since I really enjoyed Wells Dbl Choc Stout.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Originally reviewd in bottle form, recently sampled on cask and was a much different beer - one in line with its stated name.

Coppery amber color with moderate cap of khaki head. Muted notes of fresh baked banana bread, lightly nutty, some hints of sweetness. Taste is much more in line with banana bread in this presentation, solid lightly sweet bready malts comine with bannana and bubble gum notes from the yeasts. Only negative to say is there is a slightly watery grape presence towards the back end of the taste. Medium bodied, mildly carbonated. Improvement over bottle - accomplishes its goal.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

A - The beer is a clear golden, amber color with minimal head. Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

S - Here is the beer's highest note. It is about as close to banana bread as you can get without making a loaf yourself. I also got caramel and slight hint of vanilla off the nose, combined of course with the very subtle hop aroma. Great nose on this one.

T - You get banana bread right off the start, although much of that comes from the nose here. It tastes a hint more artificial than it smells, but that's okay with me. Then the hops kick in, and although not powerful by any means, they remind you that you are in fact drinking a beer. The beer leaves you with full on banana bread, which doesn't linger too long, but a nice finish nonetheless.

M - A bit heavy for this style, which is a good thing here. Almost creamy in a way, but acceptable.

O - I really enjoyed this beer. Splitting it with a friend is the way to go, and it makes a good night opener. The subtle banana flavor adds enough to make it interesting without cheapening it. Worth a spin.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours a golden copper, finger of head with little retention or lacing.

S - Pretty mild on the nose, with some bitter leafy hops coming through stronger than the banana bread. Almost reminiscent of a skunky euro lager, with a touch of sweetness on the finish.

T - Surprisingly tart, but the banana bread is certainly more prominent than the nose implies. Banana smoothie lingers on the tongue alongside the leafy hops and a touch of caramel.

M - Medium bodied ale that goes down smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness.

O - Worth a try, but at $6.00 a bottle there's certainly better beers to buy. A bit of a novelty, but a decent attempt nonetheless.

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

A- dark copper with a nice one inch head. Slightly carbonated. A little on the cloudy side. Lackluster appearance and not very inviting.

S- A bit of banana. A little sweetness. A hint of bitterness.

T- I feel let down by this beer. I was expecting big banana flavors but what I got instead was a little banana flavor. The taste starts off watery and in the middle I can taste bananas, but it finishes off with a bitter flavor. The bitterness really is a let down for me.

M- feels ok overall. There is more carbonation on the mouth feel than I expected.

O- Overall I feel let down. I wanted to get that big banana flavor but the bitterness is what stands out most to me.

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Clear amber body with almost no visible carbonation. Head dissipates, to a thin cover of off-white and a collar.

Big graininess up front on the nose, hard water minerals, banana flavoured penicillin, cotton candy. On the way to being sickly-sweet and the banana smells pretty artificial. Kind of cool anyway.

A very mediocre ale with artificial-tasting banana flavour. Lightly roasted grain with some earthy hop bitterness and banana popsicle. The banana isn't completely over-the-top, but it's a little over-balanced IMO and doesn't taste very natural. I'm not finding much breadiness, which I was hoping for and which could possibly save this beer.

Medium-thin body with almost no carbonation. Not the feel I would want to pair with this one.

I wasn't expecting much but my curiosity got the better of me. I think the idea could be pulled off but this isn't it. Skip this one.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd