Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
Contra

3.18/5  rDev -8.9%

Seeing a bottle of "Banana Bread Beer", I had to try it. I love the banana-like flavor of Tripels, so this might be worth a try, I figured. It's about what expected, although, oddly enough, the banana bread flavor is much more accurate than I thought it would be. Otherwise, it has a copper ale feel to it, and it does that quite well.

It's certainly worth trying, and it's not bad at all. Still, I'd rather have a slice of banana bread (preferably with some cream cheese on top) and a beer on the side (preferably not at the same time, but who knows). If you like banana bread, then definitely try it out. But I wouldn't get more than a bottle.

01-01-2010 04:15:27 | More by Contra
Richardberg

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

A - poured into a stemmed water glass. dark amber, mostly translucent but not see-thru, small cream head

S - huge banana esters, a little nutty bread

T - like the smell, plus some hops. Overall more bitter than sweet which surprised me.

M - lots of carbonation, somewhat crisp, bitter finish lingers

D - despite low ABV this would be tough to finish >1 due to crazy and not terribly attractive flavors

12-29-2009 00:22:03 | More by Richardberg
jpschouest

Louisiana

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured beer into a pint glass.

A= It was dark copper, amberlike very clear color in appearance.
S= faint smell of banana nut bread, but a roasty malty smell
T=definitely tasted like bananas, but also had a amber bock hint in it
M=very little carbonation but was descent
D= I like it but not one of my favorite beers.

12-28-2009 22:39:26 | More by jpschouest
SAABtech

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

average appearance.

smells like a bock with bananna hints

taste is unexpectinly differant, I wanted to taste a grainy bread with the hint of sweetness in bananna and instead i tasted a hop bitterness and a lacking sweetness to combat it. i would have ejoyed some more roasted malt flavors to add some complexity to the flavor but found it a little lacking. but overall a fair taste. (i would not have been able to brew one this good)

feels a little under carbonated and not as full as a beer whose claim is bananna BREAD.

12-18-2009 23:00:24 | More by SAABtech
natelocc787

I'll keep this one short and to the point. Cloudy yellow golden body with a big bubbled ivory head. The smell is mostly overripe banana, sugar, and a toasty malt character as well. The taste is the opposite of robust, muted, over carbonated banana soda with a shot of booze in the back. Lacking overall and very average if not below.

12-18-2009 12:53:22 | More by natelocc787
psujmatt

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a 1pt 0.9oz bottle into a goblet, which was probably silly but convenient. I drank well more than half, sharing the remainder.

A: Looks pretty standard. A big of an orange tint to an otherwise amber appearance.

S. Smells like a commercial banana nut muffin that you just opened from a plastic wrapper--not homemade goodness, but a definite authentic aroma.

T. A big let down after the aroma, although I have to admit I'm not sure I'd want a powerfully banana beer. I also expected a bit more bread-like tones, which seemed absent. I really was left wanting a banana-bread wheat beer instead of this. It tasted like a plain lager with banana flavoring added. No really bad flavors (unless you hate bananas!), but nothing exciting. A little like "fake" banana flavor, or banana syrup.

M. A little silky, but not noteworthy.

D. Went down very easily due to the sweetness and low alcohol, which was completely hidden in the fruitiness. I was not impressed with the beer but easily finished it with no hesitation.

12-16-2009 22:17:58 | More by psujmatt
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev +18.3%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a brown bottle(same label as pictured)

A: Amber to orange color with off-white head and moderate lacing.

S: Nice heavy banana scent. That's all I smell and that's all I have to say about that.

T&M: It's smooth and banana and slightly beerish. Mostly banana on the fade away. Wow. Much better than I expected.

If you need a potassium fix while drinking, I haven't found the content, but this may be the thing for you. Very good!

12-15-2009 22:49:33 | More by cdizinno
1759Girl

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

Perhaps earlier, unfavorable reviews were due to the clear bottle in the photo? I just poured a glass out of a brown bottle and was quite pleased. This may be the second fruit beer that I have ever liked.

Appearance>Clear, lively, small head dissipates quickly, no lacing.

Smell>Bananas, hops and burnt sugar. Excellent

Taste>Bitter start, hop punch, smoothes out with a resiny hang... But all the while there is an overlying (and not overpowering) layer of fresh baked banana bread. I think it's grand.

Mouf> Just okay

Drinkability> Sure!

12-09-2009 03:23:20 | More by 1759Girl
mfabian12

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance - Dark amber color. One finger head and slight lacing on the glass.

Smell - Obvious banana permeating through. Smelled like an ale though. A little less banana-y than I expected

Taste - Exactly like a banana bread which I love, so this was obviously enjoyable for me. It definitely lives up to its name

Mouthfeel - It was pleasantly crisp and carbonated. Nice consistency.

Drinkability - Very smooth with a clean finish. It was a very interesting beer and definitely something different. I would definitely buy another bottle

12-07-2009 04:27:12 | More by mfabian12
gromis

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Banana. Period. Has a distinctive banana smell on the pour, but not overpowering (you actually have to put your nose to the glass, not like you can smell it from a foot away or anything). Has a distinctive banana taste and finish that is pleasant. It's not overpowering banana. This is one of the few specialty beers that I could have a few of at one sitting, but it is a little thin.

12-07-2009 04:15:31 | More by gromis
nickd717

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

Bottle from Whole Foods Redwood City. My little sister was raving about this beer, whereas largadeer said it sucked something awful. Was hoping to side with my little sister on this one, but alas, Wells Banana Bread Beer did in fact suck.

Pours a very clear amber color with a small off-white head that fades rather quickly.

Aroma is bananas, bread, and caramel. It does smell like banana bread, although it is a bit heavy on the banana.

As for flavor, well, when I was in college when we ran out of beer, I would sometimes play beer pong with "banana water," which was 99 Bananas mixed with water. It was terrible. This tasted like that. Banana bread flavor was there, but balance was not. Alcohol was also a little more present than it should be at 5.2%.

Palate was also really off. Extremely thin and watery for what I expected to be a beer with some body, with a somewhat boozy/harsh finish.

Drinkability average-minus. Overall, nice novelty, but not so great on the execution.

12-04-2009 16:42:02 | More by nickd717
Nezzy

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Seen this beer a lot and figured why not give it a go. I was forewarned that you really need to love banana for it and that is no lie.

Appearance: orange with some red but more of a dark burnt orange with a decent amount of lacing and little to no head.

Smell: holy hell banana off the bat. It's a very sweet smell and has a bit of vanilla coming through.

Taste: well its banana bread alright, you can even tell that it's toasted. The aftertaste is the slight issue as you get really strong cinnamon and nutmeg which with the smell of the banana makes it a bit powerful.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty smooth, light and not overly carbonated.

Drinkability: Here comes the problem. It's an absolutely gimmick beer much like Pumking is. Yes it succeeds in tasting like banana bread but after a while it gets to be too much and I love banana bread. This is a one time kind of beer that I don't think I'd have again, but it is worth a try.

12-04-2009 03:52:14 | More by Nezzy
SWEET34

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

My girlfriend picked this one up so I had to try it. If you like banana bread than this is the beer for you. If you don't like banana bread then you have just made a worrible error.

Poured from a glass into a pint the beer has an amber looking color to it with basically no head at all.

Smells of banana are almost overpowering I think people next door thought we were making bread.

Taste was as expected given the sent. It was all banana...and bread but mostly banana. This was definately an unusual beer for me to drink but I like banana bread so I liked this beer too.

It was pretty drinkable but I can't imagine making a day of it.

11-24-2009 14:54:19 | More by SWEET34
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile now and the oportunity has presented itself in grand fashion so here we go.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a clear light brown color with just a touch of tan head. Light lace can be seen around the rim.

The aroma is pure banana. Maybe a hint of bread but mostly all banana. Which I enjoy so no problems there.

The flavor is just as the name states. Straigh up banana bread. That's it. Nothing else to see here folks. Keep moving. I can't pick out any other flavor then banana bread. Not that that's a bad thing.

The body seems rather thin and watery to me. Not much carbonation to save it either.

Overall I'm glad I was able to try this one. Maybe not a everyday drinker but very unique.

11-19-2009 16:01:26 | More by beerwolf77
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours amber with very little head..bit of an aggressive pour too.

Smells like banana bread. Really, there is no masking it on this one. Hits you right in the face

Tastes like banana bread, but there is this weird aftertaste (its banana). I'm not sure I'm a fan of the aftertaste. The actual beer is fine.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and smooth. Drinkability is fine, after all its a fruit beer. Just that damn aftertaste...

11-17-2009 05:46:08 | More by kshankar
cjgator3

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

16.9oz bottle. Pours a golden amber color with a white head. The aroma features a good amount of banana. The taste has a little bit less banana flavor but it is still evident. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty decent brew tha is definitely worth a try.

11-17-2009 03:45:11 | More by cjgator3
Blitzstyle

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours a light amber color with little head and little lace.

Wow intense bannana smell can also pick up the sweet bready smell.

Damn that is bannana bread! Intense bannana taste. Bannana lovers this is your beer. Slightly bready and smooth. Gave this the highest marks because it really taste like bannana bread.

Surprise this is smooth with a hell of a bannana after taste. Could not shake the bannana taste from my mouth. Would never have more than one of these.

11-16-2009 03:11:05 | More by Blitzstyle
KTCamm

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up this bottle at the Morton Williams in New York City after reading about it in a BA magazine.

Pours a fascinating brownish black with little foam. Very appealing to the eyes.

Smells like....banana bread! No surprises here, though with eyes closed, nobody would ever think this was a beer. Unreal.

Taste opens like a banana then the malt comes through but wrapped in a sweetness. Mild bitter lurks in the background that is difficult to describe, but a unique flavor to me. Smooth in the mouthfeel.

Tasty, drinkable - but truly a novelty beer, not something to go back to multiple times over.

11-13-2009 01:19:57 | More by KTCamm
jeffjeff1

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

I picked this up at Whole Foods in Walnut Creek.

Appearance- amber color, little to no head

Smell- banana, malt

Taste- WOW! the banana flavor amazed me, blew me away, very nice banana flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- very nice, I would and will definitely drink this again.

11-11-2009 22:48:02 | More by jeffjeff1
corby112

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a clear golden orange color with a one finger off-white foam head that quickly settles into a thin ring. No lacing to speak of.

Aroma is dominated by ripe banana with a decent malt backbone and slight hops. Bready yeast along with the ripe banana notes make this smell exactly like banana bread.

Surpisingly hop forward with a some nice floral characetr. The flavor is again dominated by a sugary sweet banana flavor. Slightly bready medium body which is pretty crisp and clean with some biscuit nutty malt. Kind of a silly gimmick but actually succeeds in tasting like banana bread.

11-10-2009 07:45:32 | More by corby112
yeast

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

i tried this beer at a winterfestival this past weekend and was blown away by the overall pleasant drinking experience it gave me. we all knew it would smell great and look ok but tatse... wow! its great. its not syrupy or overwhelming like banana first ale second. no no. this one is done correctly. ale first banana second. i think after a nice bitterly smooth ale kick the banana fades into the back of ur tastebuds. perfect. my suggestion... try with youngs dbl choc stout. u guessed it. banana split. enjoy to all

11-09-2009 18:41:28 | More by yeast
Spineypanda

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

Very enjoyable!

Little to no head, a nice amber color.
Smells like beer and banana bread!
TASTES like banana bread beer, a perfect mixture.
A decent amount of carbonation and just a wonderful beer.
As a plain beer this is even delicious.

For something different try this! I will again.

11-05-2009 04:33:42 | More by Spineypanda
dionisio

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

Oh my god, wow! This is so delicious. You think you don't like fruit flavored beers? Don't be lame. You like banana bread, right? This tastes like banana bread. It also smells like banana bread. How can that possibly be bad? Not only that, but the underlying ale is good, too. But this banana taste is just brilliant.

11-02-2009 00:33:52 | More by dionisio
Fizzlybear

United Kingdom (England)

2.93/5  rDev -16%

L - Poured into a pint glass, it was a light brown with a slightly yellow coloured head.

S - The smell wasn't banana bread but more like banana fritters, and a slight bit of malt too.

T - The initial taste was obviously that of bananas, with a herby/bitter aftertaste.

M&D - The sweetness of a bananas made its drinkability factor drop slightly but the levels of carbonation gave it a good feel.

Overall The novelty of it is by far the most appealing aspect (that and the smell)

10-31-2009 11:01:32 | More by Fizzlybear
gatornation

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

poured an amber color with an ok head a little lacing the smell is bananas right away a little spice some cinnamon and nutmeg..the taste is banana bread all the way with some cinnamon and caramrl malt in the background i also detect some apples and pears the mouthfeel is to much banana it overwhelms this beer its all im tasting..however it is one to try its just not one to have to often

10-27-2009 22:15:45 | More by gatornation