Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
jpaltan

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

ruby colored. white head, with little retention, and little lacing. smell is all banana bread. it's like having a piece of it tucked into the glass. some maltiness tucked in there with the banana aroma. taste is more banana, but not balanced. taste is a real downer from the smell. too many things going on, too many flavors. kind of tannic like throughout. finish is quite dry. this beer would be better suited to cooking than drinking.

05-21-2009 00:08:30 | More by jpaltan
deaconoflove

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Ap. Beautiful amber beer with a little, quickly disappearing head.
Sm. It's bananas...duh.
Ta. It really does taste like banana bread...in a good way. I love banana bread. The flavor is very clean, not to sweet or sticky or icky.
Mf. Good. not much carbonation, but finishes nicely.
Dr. Certainly. Now if there was only a way to get some walnuts in there...

05-19-2009 00:05:21 | More by deaconoflove
jimmytc

I like beer and I like banana bread. So I figured this beer would be a home run. However I bought this with some trepidation because fruit beers can get too overpowered by the fruit. Poured into a pint glass and as the head struggled to form on top so did my expectations. The aroma was just what it should be...Bananas. Not much hops or malt aromas if any. Surprisingly the taste was good. No lacing from the lackluster head but bananas was obvious. Overall I enjoyed this beer, it wasn't a home home run, maybe a stand up triple.

05-17-2009 18:17:25 | More by jimmytc
tj4288

4.93/5  rDev +41.3%

poured from a bottle into a weizen glass

i had very low expectations for this beer but i was plesantly surprised. i have tried other "fruit" beers before and this one is in a league of its own. as the name states... this beer does not just smell like banana, but it smells EXACTLY like banana BREAD. the banana taste was not overpowering. beautiful color and good appearance (head disapated quickly). i could drink a bunch of these and i will definatly buy this beer again!!!

05-17-2009 04:29:35 | More by tj4288
PirateUlf73

3.35/5  rDev -4%

Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Clear, orange-brown color with a small, fizzy white head.

S: Very strong, sweet banana aromas... and not a whole lot else. It's almost like I'm inhaling a banana popsicle.

T: Again, strong banana character in the taste. Actually, if not for a few flashes of maltiness in some of my burps, I might have mistaken this for a banana-flavored malt beverage. Becomes slightly more balanced as it warms.

M: Fairly light feel, which surprised me a bit, based on how it was pitched on the label. Part of this comes from its high carbonation level. Finishes fairly clean.

D: If you like the taste, this is easy drinking. Goes down nice and smooth.

This was a beer that upon my first sighting it in my local beer joint, I promptly scratched my head and said "What the...?" It was quite an interesting concept and a pleasure to try. My two main gripes: 1.) A heavier mouthfeel seemed more appropriate to me. 2.) TOO MUCH banana. It has a good base, but some more balance would have been nice. Still, the novelty alone makes this worth trying.

05-15-2009 06:30:15 | More by PirateUlf73
Scriba

Sweden

1.83/5  rDev -47.6%

Ok, I have to admit: My expectations are very low on this one.

It pours an amber liquid with an almost white head. The head is initially two fingers high, but it quickly collapses into a thin ring.

The smell is defiantly banana. Synthetic banana. There is also some smell of malt, well hidden behind the banana.

The taste is that of... banana. It overwhelms everything else. I guess there is some malt in the background, but it's hard to recognise. The aftertaste is also disturbing. I guess the hops are supposed to balance the sweetness of the banana, but instead it makes it even worse. The bitterness of the hops turns the banana flavour into that of green - unripe - bananas. Not good at all.

Drinkable? I didn't even manage to drink half of the bottle.

05-08-2009 14:14:31 | More by Scriba
Metalmonk

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Copper color with a thin head that holds out for a couple minutes before thinning to a crown.

Aroma leans toward artificial, in terms of its banana-ness, and the abundant breadiness I'd hoped for isn't there. Maybe in the flavor...

Aah, yes, the flavor is more like it, just perhaps not the dream-beer I'd hoped for (banana bread beer is such an awesome concept). Equal parts bready malt, like a sweeter dough base as you'd use in, yep, banana bread, and of course, banana. Appropriately nutty, even some melted butter and bubblegum. Hop presence is very laid back. Banana dominates finish.

Smooth and slick texture, fairly dry and having plenty of carbonation--though thankfully the bubbles aren't overbearing.

Not entirely novelty, but not a beer you'd designate as an every day go-to beer either. I'd wanted to try this for some time, as the idea seemed too good to be true. While this is no grand slam, it does well enough--but I'll bet Dogfish Head could really do something amazing with this concept. I thank BDLBrewster for the opportunity to try a bottle. Cheers, Matt!

05-03-2009 15:12:39 | More by Metalmonk
theboozecruise

Louisiana

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a brown glass bottle into a pint glass... pours a clear golden color with a white head. Lots of carbonation. There's a nice smell dominated by banana. The taste is plenty of banana, but not much else... a slight bitter aftertaste. I like the idea of a banana infused beer, but this one just doesn't really live up to potential.

05-03-2009 04:47:10 | More by theboozecruise
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Cool shaped bottle, brought back from Dallas.
1 pt 0.9 US fl. oz, brown bottle. Slightly different label, but still has the gold foil beer filled pint glass emerging from a banana peel. Best by date marked on the back, "Independant Family Brewer" plus hops and grain stalks embossed on the bottle shoulder.
"Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fairtrade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously, fruity, rich, yet suprisingly versatile banana bread beer."
This beer pours a light orange with an ivory colored head. Foam shrinks down to a thick film, good retention. Smell is amazingly like banana bread. The banana smells realistic, not overly sweet fake flavoring. Also some toasted bready malt. Taste has lots of banana as well. Again, naturally tasting. There is some solid caramel malt that keeps it from getting to sweet. A bit of spice finish, cinnamon maybe. No real hop bitterness, but don't miss it anyways. I would say medium-body, good mouthfeel. Drinkability? Original and unique for sure, exactly as advertised. Definately worth a try, but wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time.

04-30-2009 23:00:40 | More by BigBry
SimplySinister

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Fair amount of head and moderate carbonation.
Amber color.

S - Banana Bread mingled with moderate spice and hops. I cannot detect anything else.

T - Interesting- in a good way. Although this isn't a wheat beer, the taste resembles the typical banana flavored wheat beer (Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse or Weihenstephaner hefe.) The banana taste is much more prevalent though. Very pleasant, but slightly bitter.

M - Dry, clean, and light.

D - This is an extremely drinkable beer for what its worth. However, my loyalties lie in stouts; therefore, I wouldn't choose this beer over them.

04-30-2009 07:30:02 | More by SimplySinister
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pop the top and initially smells of bitter malts. Pour it into a glass and the incredibly sweet smells of ripe bananas are released.

Thick, creamy head over a dark amber brew. No lacing.

I was a bit concerned about the taste as I read the ingredients, especially these: sugar, maize, bananas, banana flavour. It's the "banana flavour" that particular caught my attention. I love bananas. I hate artificial banana flavor. This has a bit of both, but the artificial flavor is definitely present.

Moderately carbonated on the mouthfeel.

Below average drinkability for my tastes. Somewhat high ABV of 5.2 + artificial tastes = what's the point?

04-28-2009 21:39:42 | More by fullsweep
weazal

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

S: Just peeled, ripe bananas! There is a decent amount of malt with a slight backbone of spices

T: A bit like seltzer water up front - probably from the mineral water source. Then a mild, banana-y sweetness seeps in providing tangible flavor, but also leaving way for a nutty malt to round out the flavor profile. The banana is dominant, but doesn't overpower everything else, which I appreciate. Strangely sharp carbonation.

Well, I'll be! I'm really quite surprised how spot on this beverage nailed the experience of biting into banana nut bread. Except it's not overflowing with flavor and strangely dry - which counters the desired moistness you'd want from the bread.

04-28-2009 05:41:48 | More by weazal
Asgeirr

Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance: Wells Banana Bread Beer pours a thick amber colour along with a short crown below a third of an inch, the crown in question disappears quickly and leaves a circle of lacing along the glass, while legions of small bubbles ascend to the surface like The Horned One and his rebel angels reclaiming their lost domain.

Smell: Oh would you guess it - bananas! The fairtraide-bull aside, they come forth in a synthetic way, i.e NOT PLEASING. Additionally, acrid 'n' acidic tones hide there in between the shadows of the palm trees.

Taste: Aforementioned fruit (or is it berry, or herb now again?) comes forward like a blooming of a exotic vegetable of not noteworthy character. Sure you can feel the taste of banananananana, but it ain't merely enough, gladly we get a pretty decent maltiness which saves the day by adding a sense of variation amidst of all this monotonous flavour sensation.

Mouthfeel: Watery as funk, medium-to-low in carbonation, other than that fairly smooth.

Drinkability: Even though I thoroughly detest bananas and their wimp flavours in their original form, I decided to put that aside and review this one from a neutral stand point, thus the disappointment lies not in the choice of flavouring, but in the fact that it is all too weak and bland.

04-25-2009 18:31:32 | More by Asgeirr
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

Presentation: 16.9z oz brown pop top with best by date clearly marked and a nice little ditty about the beer.

Appearance: This beer pours a light burnt orange with a soapy dark ivory head which fades to a nice thick film with good retention.

Smell: Banana bread, pure and simple. The banana smells quite natural (I was kind of afraid this was going to be one of those ultra-sweet fake fruit beers) but the bottle says this is made with Fairtrade bananas, so I might be in luck. As it warms, there's just a hint of toasted caramel malt in the background and just a TOUCH of minerality. No real hops to speak of.

Taste: Wow. Banana. Up front and center. This is like a fruity kick in the face. It's almost overpowering. It is nice, however, in the fact that it's very fresh and natural tasting, not at all contrived or fake. There's a little more malt flavor behind the banana than suggested by the aroma, which is nice, but there's a weird kind of mineraly and hoppy bitterness on the finish; this is a bit odd with the rest of the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, somewhat sharp finish

Drinkability: One...that's about it.

Conclusion: A for effort, intent, and originality...the execution, not quite so great. It tastes like what it's supposed to, that's certain. This could be pretty damn good if the banana intensity was just ratcheted down a touch and if that odd, bitter, somewhat metallic bite wasn't there on the finish. Still, worth a try, at least once.

04-23-2009 03:57:08 | More by BedetheVenerable
OsuJohn

4.18/5  rDev +19.8%

Smells like a banana, but the banana taste is not too strong. The taste is creamy with banana, but not over powered by the banana. The beer had a foamy head with large soapy type bubbles. It is a good change of pace, but not something you could drink all night.

04-21-2009 20:22:55 | More by OsuJohn
mhatters

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a Tanglefoot UK pint glass from a 16.9 oz bottle

Beautiful golden-copper color, thin head that dissipates quickly

Fantastic nose, lots of banana with a toasty malt backing, some floral hops

Taste is OK, not much fruit, not a bad beer, just not what I was expecting. Some toffee sweetness from the crystal malt.

Finish is dry and crisp, a nice beer, definitely unique and enjoyable.

04-19-2009 22:57:17 | More by mhatters
Buschyfor3

Kentucky

2.83/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a clear 14 oz mug (poured half a bottle, saving the other for a black and tan with Young's Double Chocolate in a few minutes)

A: pours a deep golden/amber color, thin white head bubbles up but quickly dissipates; slight rings of white lacing cling to the side of the glass

S: the aroma of fresh bananas combined with the notes of roasted malts blend to tease the senses into believing you just pulled a pan of fresh banana bread from the oven. Aroma is probably the best aspect of the beer

T: Slightly sweet, ripe banana flavors upfront but not nearly as pronounced as the aroma would lead you to expect; the sweetness was balanced against the bitterness from the hops which lingers on the palate up to the finish; just a faint banana sweetness reappears along with a bready note in the finish. Overall, however, the whole flavor profile seems underwhelming... was expecting a bit more here.

M: carbonation is present but not overly dominating. The overall mouthfeel, is kind of thin and leaves something more to be desired.

D: 5.1% ABV; banana flavors do not completely mask the alcohol and it becomes slightly present in the finish as it warms, but there's not a lot of booze to be masked, so it works out alright. Drinkability isn't horrible, but it's not something I would drink regularly.

I was interested in trying this fruit-based beer, knowing it was a gimmick of sorts. That being said, it is definitely not my favorite beer, and seeing as it only distributed in singles at $4.50 a pop, I cant say I'll go out of my way to get this beer, but then again, I wouldn't be opposed to having one bottle on hand since I enjoy Young's Double Chocolate and mixing the Banana Bread Beer for a black and tan is a decent concoction (though I think it is the YDC that makes the concoction delicious and not so much the Banana Bread Beer)

04-14-2009 20:48:02 | More by Buschyfor3
mithrascruor

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

500 mL bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark copper color with light visible carbonation. Minimal head is more of a white lace film.

Smell: Banana bread! Seriously... banana, bread/yeast, cloves. Though there isn't much besides that, it smells so yummy.

Taste: Starts pretty malty, nothing unusual. Gets into a bit of hops. Banana bread in the finish and into the aftertaste, which is then just hoppy. Rather surprised the banana isn't so present in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth, but with a bit more carbonation than I think is fitting here.

Drinkability: Good drinkability, especially as you probably aren't going to use this as a session beer.

Damn, this smells so incredibly good (and I even have a bit of a cold!). I could seriously imagine just buying it again just to smell. I'm generally not a fan of fruit-style beers (though some can be great). One of my biggest issues was the carbonation. On cask or nitro this would be more fun, I'm sure. That said, I still think the flavor was rather lacking or missing something. Though, probably, the smell had made me hope that this would just be liquid banana bread or something. ;-) An interesting beer, worth giving a try, but a novelty nonetheless.

04-13-2009 01:09:46 | More by mithrascruor
willyumlong

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

really debated on whether i should spend $5 for a bottle of this. i saw an ad in one of the ba mags for it and really wanted to try it.
bottle is different bigger than average
somewhat dark amber so far so good
can definately notice the banana here we go
damn....banana actually pretty weak not that i was wanting anything overpowerful but nothing is there to accent it well little bit of hops but thats about it. disappointed. my wife really wanted to try it too but almost spit out her taste. i finished the bottle but that will be the last.

04-09-2009 09:06:08 | More by willyumlong
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. Credit this one to curiosity. I love banana bread. I love beer. So what the hell am I waiting for?

Pours a clear golden amber. Two fingers of creamy head, leaves random spots of lacing.

I wonder what banana bread beer would smell like...how about HUGE banana? Lots of sweet bready malt, as well, but banana dominates.

Taste follows the nose. Tons of banana, bready malt, some spice, and even a slight tinge of hops.

Light body, somewhat watery. Light creaminess. Still a smooth drinker.

Really interesting beer. I'm glad I picked it up. It's not really my favorite, but I do love the banana flavor. This is a beer that I had been thinking about buying for a couple of months, but waited until a friend of mine gave it the seal of approval. Probably not for everyone, but you never know how much you'll like or dislike something until you try it.

04-07-2009 02:35:05 | More by Gyle41386
Shandias

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Banana Bread Beer? Alright, alright-- you got me, I'll try it.

Poured from a pint bottle into a goblet-style Duvel glass.
Appearance is very clear and light, extremely weak head and lacing. Smell is very inviting; pure banana perfume that is creamy and reminiscent of vanilla, not overpowering. Taste is surprisingly light. The banana flavor is significant, but way more present in an aromatic capacity than on the tongue. This beer is not particularly sweet, a pronounced bitterness plays very well against the banana's sweetness. A tangy, lightly sour bread taste lingers on the palate. It is very light on the tongue, somewhat insubstantial in texture. The very light quality of this beer provides a decent drinkability if you are really into bananas. Personally, I would go easy on it as it is somewhat of a novelty beer.

This is an interesting one to try. What excites me most about this beer is the prospect of food pairings. I think it would suit equally as a dessert beer or as a light, fresh foil to spicy dishes (curries, Mexican, etc).

04-02-2009 00:32:56 | More by Shandias
PaleAlien2

Nebraska

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Excited to try this one. Love bananas and beer.

Appearance: Very pretty color--kind of a crisp orange. But lacks carbonation and looks a bit watery.

Smell: Smells like a banana laffy taffy. Also get some pumpkin spice aroma in there too.

Taste: Where'd the banana go? Very smooth, mellow flavor with a slight jolt of spice at the end. Banana not as prevalent in the taste as it is in the smell though. Still good though.

Mouthfeel: Not nearly enough carbonation. A little watery at first, but has kind of a filmy, chunky finish. Strange mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Despite the mouthfeel, this beer is quite drinkable. Nothing offensive in the flavor, just not what I expected.

04-01-2009 02:12:29 | More by PaleAlien2
illidurit

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a clear light amber with a frothy but somewhat fizzy beige head. Nice pure banana oil aroma, similar to banana flavored candy. I also get some brown sugar and pumpkin pie spices. Flavor has some banana, but it's more pithy than sweet and there's not a lot of it in the first place. An earthy hoppiness and bready malts make up the bulk of the flavor, presumably because the base beer is an ESB. Mouthfeel is a little thin for a beer named after a rich and chewy confection. Carbonation is a little too high. Not bad.

03-31-2009 23:54:06 | More by illidurit
adamette

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Live review. Best By date of 31 07 09. Served from bottle into my clean, clear Murphy's Irish Red pint glass. Recommended to give it a try by my brother Pete.

A Light amber translucent body with a minimal and relatively brief light cream color head which dissipates to a ring within 3 minutes. Rather basic look.

S This is where this beer sets itself apart. It smells like Banana Bread, and especially in the beginning! The Laffy Taffy like banana smell reduced with time and repeated sniffs but it was certainly there in the beginning. A nice, slightly sweet banana scent that is inviting. Not too far below the surface was the smell of a basic lager or ale though.

T Well the taste is a bit more bread and a bit less banana. Gone is that light sweetness like a weak Laffy Taffy and in is the barley and malt of a basic ale or lager with banana mixed in. The taste is a bit gimmicky but that is the point, right?

M Thin and really kind of boring.

D Good but this gimmicky beer is much less sessionable than many others like it within its style.

03-29-2009 04:24:53 | More by adamette
djaeon

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

A - Clear, light amber. Very light fizzy head. Super fast dissipating head. Zero lacing.

S - Fruity banana, walnuts, bready aromas. I have to hand it to them, it does smell like banana bread, but the kind of banana bread you find in the supermarket. Laced with preservatives. Not home made.

T - Tastes like a light beer that's been filtered through banana bread.

M - Light and fizzy. Moderate carbonation. Nothing that stands out.

D - It's pretty drinkable, but not very interesting. Not one I'd buy again.

03-28-2009 22:55:10 | More by djaeon