Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brownish color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Good lacing.

S: A very nice aroma of bananas (of course) and hefty shot of malt.

T: Tasted more of malt than anything else. It dominates the taste at first, letting the banana come in during the finish. Not a terrible taste, but certainly unfocused.

M: An OK amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This beer isn't necessarily bad, but it is too unfocused and uneven.

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

A banana bread beer?? Really?? Curiosity might have gotten the better of me on this one. I've seen this brew on the shelf on countless occasions and could never bring myself to get it...until today.

Pours a golden light brown with modest head that settles into a thin white film. Looks pleasant enough.

Nose is as advertised...Pure banana bread. Banana, nuts, cinnamon, brown sugar and just a mild amount of clove is detectable. Pretty delicious smelling actually.

If only it tasted as spectacular as it smelled. This beer left me feeling cold, underwhelmed and completely disappointed. Not nearly as flavorful as I had hoped and I actually think a standard Bavarion Heffe delivers a better and more refreshing, yet subtle banana flavor. Don't get me wrong, you definitely know this is a beer from the mild hop bitterness, but the flavors just don't blend as well as I'd like them to.

The mouthfeel is where this beer fails me the most. Very light bodied and unmemorable with a slight amount of carbonation. I was expecting and anticipating a far more stout like consistency, which would better fit the dessert profile, but was met with watery swill. Definitely drinkable, but very cheap tasting.

Overall, this beer proved to fall into the "buy it once for novelty" category. Try it if you must, but don't set expectations too high. There are far better dessert beers out there.

Oh man, that's good! You know, they always say, "don't fruit your beer". Well, this beer is MADE with fruit! With a name like Banana Bread Beer, I hoped it would be thicker than it was. I wanted it to remind me of eating banana bread… not just the nose and the fruit on the palate. But still, the beer is great.

The nose is pretty much solid banana. It's not overbearing, but you get a heavy dose of banana on the nose. As much as it smells like bananas, it doesn't taste that much like bananas. However, mixing the flavors in the beer and the smell of bananas that hangs around well after the beer is open, makes this brew mighty delicious.

I would drink this time and time again if it was readily available. The bottles, however, are larger and it is not sold in 6 packs, only by the bottle. It's imported from England. Regardless, I would totally buy this beer again. I wonder if this was served in a restaurant if they would serve this with a banana wedge on the rim of the glass? Talk about fruiting your beer!

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light brown / golden color - almost honey-like in appearance. Translucent with no sediment or haze. Poured with very little head.

S: Bananas, nuts, hints of clove (reminded me a tad bit of some hefeweizen yeasts). But honestly, the more I smelled it, it truly just smelled like banana bread.

T: Flavor is definitely muted compared to the scent. Similar elements, though. Bready malts and yeast, banana, and some hop bitterness as well.

M: Relatively light body and carbonation. Approximately similar to an ESB style texture.

O: Not bad overall, but definitely is a novelty beer. Smells fantastic and tastes OK. I can't imagine buying it again.

A - poured into a stone nonic glass that gave a transparent amber color, 1 and half finger or white head that shows decent retention while receding to a good ring around the ages and thin bubbles on top.

A - big banana up front, also a nutty presence maybe the attempt at banana bread like the name suggests. i really enjoy the aroma of this beer maybe hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar very subtle. the aroma is awesome and not overpowering at all which could be easy to create with the style. If only the aroma was one of an imperial stout, holy shit!

T - the nutty malt is upfront and is very subtle, and a hop bitterness came through which i was not expecting, not sure if it compliments the beer though. although the color didnt suggest it, i really wanted a nutty malt and banana bread combo bomb without much of any bitterness. the banana bread flavor shines through with sweet spices and hints of vanilla in the back. the tingle the carbonation gives is not a positive, gah i feel like this beer has so much potential or ill just brew it for them one day. the way it should be the way YOU DIG IT THE MOST!!!

M - medium to light bodied, the carbonation is too high for my liking and the style. i wanted more of a creamy mouthfeel as well. the hop bitterness leaves a slight tingle and prickle on the tongue. the hop bitterness is so subtle its a joke it only is able to come through because the malt is not heavy enough. FUCK

O - i have big dreams for this beer, the aroma is outstanding. i feel like the idea is awesome the execution was just not perfect. this is not the first time ive had it, its been about a year although i may want more from it i think im going to get it more often and see how well it will fuse with some stouts. HELL YES, SON

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

16.9oz bottle poured into a Perfect Pint glass

Immediately upon pouring, I got a big whiff of bananas. The color is a beautiful caramel amber and a medium-sized head dissipated quickly leaving good lacings in the glass.

The smell is a delicious aroma of ripe bananas and rich malts. I'm picking up some hops, but they're blending into an aroma of brown sugar and cinnamon. It's smells so good, I almost don't want to drink it.

The taste does remind you that this is, in fact, a beer. A slight bit of bitterness on the finish is balanced perfectly with the rich, spiced banana bread flavor. It's not too sweet like I've found some pumpkin beers can tend to be. This is a perfect blend of flavors: malt, hops, ripe fruit and subtle spice.

The mouthfeel is rich without being heavy and this beer is very drinkable. Excellent and highly recommended.

3.33/5  rDev -4.9%

snagged a bottle from my local store!

Served from a bottle to a pint glass

A - yellowish brown with bulbous head.

S - Bananas. Smells like scrait banana bread. its quite delectable!

T - also Banana Bread. This is just a light and easily drinkable beer.... followed by banana bread. its actually kind of amazing that they were able to so seamlessly synthesize the two sorts of flavors in such a way.

interesting!

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

The beer pours a golden copper color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the banana syrup with a little bit of malt mixed in. The flavor is more of the same. I get some banana and toffee malt, as well as a little bit of brown sugar. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. It definitely tastes like bananas, but after a while the beer gets a little hard to drink.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

My wife encouraged me to try this. I love banana bread... but usually do not like any "fruit" type beers (ie cranberry, cherry, etc) Much to my chagrin, I was pleasantly surprised. I am glad the "wifey" pushed me to try it.

Served from a bottle to a chilled pint glass

A - Nothing really special... Yellowish brown with a decent head. Some lacing to the glass as you drank it. Quite cloudy.... almost like a hefeweizen cloudiness.

S - Bananas. That's it. Smells like banana bread. No trace of "beer" scents at all... just banana bread

T - Banana Bread. The nose gives an initial banana bread flavor.... followed by a "light beer" or "lawn mowing beer" flavor, but not a watery unpleasant sort of flavor... just light and easily drinkable beer.... quickly followed by banana bread. It's truly uncanny. The taste IS beer, but it is also banana bread

M - Feels like drinking an American Light beer... but with a bit more "heft" to it. This would be a good Summer time beer that is easy to drink.

O - I love beer, and I love banana bread. This brew gives both. My experience is most "fruit" beers don't taste like beer, or the fruit... and each of the flavors are ruined in trying. This beer marvelously accomplishes both giving a beer that tastes like a beer... but also tastes like banana bread. Definitely worth a try if you like both. Works exceptionally well when paired with puddings or flan as dessert.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Wells Banana Bread Beer: I’ve seen this stuff every time I go to the liquor store, but I’ve never gotten it. Well, today I finally broke down and got one. I’m excited, because banana bread is one of my favorite desserts, especially in the summer. Let’s hope they do it justice:

A: A cloudy yellow-brown; to be honest, it reminds of quite a bit of a banana peel. Coincidence? Maybe I just have bananas on the mind. No head at all….that’s strange. Maybe I didn’t pour aggressively enough. Oh well, still looks pretty good.

S: What do you know? BANANAS! It’s actually quite nice – bananas, being the fruit with one of the highest sugar contents out there, give this beer a very inviting aroma. There’s some smoky herbal notes in there too (it’s just hard to get past the pungency of the bananas).

T: You know, I was expecting a more present banana intensity in the palate. Surprisingly enough, it’s quite mellow. It’s a smooth mixture of malty sweetness with fruity overtones. There’s an obvious biscuity taste (and texture, for that matter), not surprising from a beer that has “Bread” in the name. It ends with subtle, yet noticeable hops, bringing it all together in a fun, drinkable way. Not a complex brew, but not bad at all. The sweetness, though, might be a bit much after a while. And actually, the more I drink it, the more I come to dislike the body. It has the blended, slightly sour taste of a very cheap beer. Hmmm. I guess first impressions aren't everything. And just when I was thinking I was starting to truly like it...

M: When you think of banana and thick breadiness, light carbonation doesn’t come to mind. But, in fact, there is a rather unexpected carbonation that keeps this beer drinkable and light.

O: I was completely baffled by this beer. As you probably read, there were a lot of aspects that surprised me about it. Anyway, it turned out pretty well. I consider this a bit of a novelty beer, and it’s not necessarily something I’d seek out again. However, if it came up on tap somewhere, I might give it another go in the name of good fun.

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

The beer is a light brown color with not much foam. It smells and tastes just like banana bread, as you would expect. I can also taste slight notes of caramel and maple syrup. It tastes sweet, but not too sweet. The mouthfeel is a little too watery. I wish it could be fuller. It is an overall good beer that I will definitely try again.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer is definitely something that a little different. This beer pours out as a nice hazy light brown color. The head is thick fluffy and white. The aromas are exactly what you expect... Banana and Bread. The smell is dead on. There's not question about that. The taste is pretty much spot on too. The beer has a strong Banana flavor up from that turned into a bready dryness after you swallow. This beer is pretty tasty but I wouldn't want a ton of it all at once. I feel that the flavors are too sweet and are too much to have more than one in a sitting.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with golden highlights on the edge; just a few dots of lace are left by the moderately-sized head

Smell: Ripe bananas with a bready undertones but doesn't have the rich nutty/spicy aroma of freshly baked banana bread, unfortunately

Taste: Opens with a banana taffy flavor that adds some earthy hops by mid-palate; after the swallow, there is a grainy bitterness that contrasts with the banana flavors through the finish; the mineral water elements emerge in the after-taste, as well

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Interesting, but doesn't quite cut it for me as there is something about the combination of bananas, hops and mineral water that I just fail to appreciate

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a pint glass from 12 oz. bottle.

Pours a clear caramel color, thin fizzy whitish head, active carbonation. Head reduces to a film half covering the surface of the beer; lacing is decent in portions of the glass where there is actually still some head.

Up front smell is like carmelized bananas and sweetness, followed by a little bit of spice, some malt and a hint of alcohol. Smells unique and rather pleasant.

You get more of the spice up front on the palate, mixed in with sweetness. The banana flavors are there, but they are more intertwined with the malt now and not as strong in the taste as they came across in the aroma. Honestly, if you quaff this one instead of sipping you'll miss the bananas. Little bit of a peppery bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel starts smooth, but gets crisp and ends sharply as the carbonation bubbles forth. The carbonation stirs into a small frenzy whenever the liquid is disturbed, so you get the bite either in the swallow at the back of your mouth or all over your palate if you allow the sip to linger. Light to moderate bodied beer.

An interesting beer, although I can't say I care for the spiciness and the particular use of hops in this one. I was imagining something with much more of a breadiness, fuller bodied with a smooth moutfeel, sweet malts and strong banana aromas and flavors. Maybe with some hints of molasses and brown sugar. Would someone make that beer? That sounds pretty good.

That said, reasonably drinkable, although I could see myself getting tired of it after one or two. Not bad.

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

A- Great Label! Pours a clear caramel color with visible carbonation. Small and thin 1/8" head.
S- Not too much banana smells biscuity, no hop aroma.
T- Hardly any banana flavor, not much other spice either. Kind of flat and syrupy.
M- Med/light in body
D- Low Just not as advertised. Didn't pick up any Banana bread notes.

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

500ml bottle poured into pint glass April,3 2011

A clear copper with a very short lived finger of head that leaves no lace

S smells like bruised banana and adjunct lager with some bread crust

T what I smell with a little spice I can't quite place

M thin but well carbonated and a long length but I'm not loving the aftertaste

O not one for me, I don't mind banana flavors in the right beer but not like this

pretty basic and tastes very synthetic, it's not that it tastes bad but it doesn't taste like beer to me. pretty average and I'm not sure what market they're trying to target with this one

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The color of this one was a burnt copper color with a nice inch head of thick cream colored foam on top.

The smell of this one is bready malts with a nice banana characteristic and some slight cinnamon.

The taste of this one is biscuit/bready malts right away followed by a kick of banana and cinnamon flavor that is slightly mellowed by a small bitter end.

The mouthfeel on this one is medium bodied and fairly dry.

Overall I could enjoy these during Christmas or with a thanksgiving dinner, nothing to seek out if unavailable but it is decent.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Devoured at a Wetherspoons Beer Festival in The Shrewsbury Arms.

This is banana heaven for banana lovers, looks normal, but just one sniff and you know it ain't a standard UK bitter.

Really sweet in its cask form, and a lower ABV at 4.5% compared to that listed on this page (5.2%).

A Banoffee Pie sort of beer!

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

One pint 0.9oz
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours dark amber with an inch and a half of off white head.

S - The aroma is banana pudding.

T - The banana are very apparent, almost overwhelming. I get a little caramel malt.

M - Thin

O - It's a good beer if you're in the mood for bananas.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

A - A very clear amber. Not much head retention. Some lace.

S - Fainthints of spice and definitely some banana.

T - Banana not as predominant as I would have liked. More hops than I would have thought.

M - Clean....crisp...medium.

O: Very drinkable but not as much banana as I wanted. Decent try.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Pours a rust orange color with virtually no head, no lacing. Looks like a glass of apple juice

S - Intense smell of, believe it or not, banana bread. Reminds me of the banana runts candy

T - Somewhat of a letdown after the smell. There is banana there, but its not as strong as the nose would leave you to believe. A tiny bit of hop kicks in at the end.

M - Feels thin, watery

O - Overall somewhat of a letdown after the great aroma. Was difficult to finish the bottle of this. Glad I tried this but likely wont pick this up again anytime soon

4.13/5  rDev +18%

If you were to simply glance at this in the glass, it doesn't look like anything special. Golden grainy in color, clean-filtered, and only a modest moderately fizzy, generic-looking head. But raise that glass to your nosed face and WHAT??!!

The scent of banana extract busts forth from the head - very banana though it bridges the gap between natural and processed. Smells like the type of banana essence you would find in yogurt or cake icing, for example. Regardless, it's a fine aroma and matched with a light shrubby hop over a veiled, well-balanced background of doughy malt.

When sampled, it starts malty, medium-bodied, and mild-moderate sudsy with a nice interplay of mildly spicy hop and a thin, liqueur-ish banana flavor and shifts to an extra-smooth malty roll off the back of the palate, a pinch sweet on the end, bitterness lingering late. Very nearly tastes like banana bread, minus a bit of the spicing. A well(s)-conceived recipe for sure.

A unique type of ale that y'all should try at least once. No cloying sweetness to worry about. Helps if you enjoy banana-esque flavor, but even that's not overdone.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Copper colored beer, small white head. Smells like banana bread and malts. Not too strong though, a little faint.

Tastes slightly metallic, the banana bread flavor is not as strong as I'd like. There is a pleasant, sweet aftertaste though. The mouthfeel is average - this beer has typical carbonation, density and texture. It's a little too watery.

Banana bread beer - an interesting idea but only average execution here.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Pours a nice bright amber with a slight white head that gives way to light lacing.

S - Strong scent of sweet and bready malts with banana overtones; essentially what one would expect.

T - Nice banana flavor. Biscuity and bready malts create the foundation.There is a hint of spicy hops somewhere towards the back and on into the finish. Grounded, not too sweet. The finish is dry and almost nutty. A great fruit beer (which is a rare thing imo)

M - Light/medium. Good carbonation, which works with the touch of spiciness to keep the beer from being flatly sweet.

D - More drinkable than one might expect. Not overpowering.

4.28/5  rDev +22.3%

Had this in a 16 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a gorgeous looking amber with about 2 fingers of cream colored foam.

S: When pouring from the bottle, I actually smelled banana bread. This astounded me and might have been my favorite part of the beer.

T: Taste follows closely with the smell, though not as strong of a banana bread taste as the smell would have you believe, it still gave a solid delivery on its name sake.

M/D: Nice and smooth, exceptionally drinkable. Absolutely loved this one.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd