Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,664 | Reviews: 859
2.58/5  rDev -26.5%

I poured this one into a tulip glass.

Appearance- A half-finger of bone white head degrades to a solid ring of film at the edge of the glass. A copper-amber body glows brightly as it sits on the table.

Smell- There's a really sweet banana extract scent that certainly doesn't remind me of actual mashed bananas. There's also an herbal spiciness and alcohol warmth to the nose.

Taste- A creamy fruit sweetness starts this drink off on the right foot, but as the drink builds there is a malty astringency that makes the banana fruit taste more like what I imagine a terrible sugar-free banana bubble gum would taste like.

The finish exacerbates the astringency and brings back that nice banana sweetness from before. Except now it is too late, and whatever is going on in the middle of the drink has made it very hard to focus on the positive aspects of the flavor.

Mouth feel- This beer has a decent medium body, but that is the only positive thing going on here. That terrible astringency makes it feel like I am trying to swallow nail polish remover, and the carbonation is not near where it should be to make this beer creamy.

Overall- While there is certainly a "banana" type flavor going on in this beer, never did it reach the appropriate level of sweetness or breadiness to convince me of what Well's says this beer is supposed to be.

I imagine to fix this, you would need to reevaluate the way banana plays a role on the palate, and get much better malt that has distinct bread notes. I am also in favor of upping the carbonation to make this drink much creamier.

Finally, whatever that terrible astringency is coming from in the taste needs to be taken care of. It almost single-handedly makes this beer undrinkable.

3.72/5  rDev +6%

Pours a fairly clear gold with a 1.5 finger head leaving some lacing down the glass.

Smells exactly like fresh baked banana bread. Sweet banana with some bready malt in the background.

The taste isn't quite as strong as the aroma. Still pretty good hints of banana although the bready character isn't as present. Finishes with a touch of spicy noble hop flavor.

A tad bit watery with medium carbonation levels.

I wish it tasted more like it smelled. As it is, not horrible, but the hop profile was a bit too tuned up for the banana and it didn't mix too well.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

I've passed buy this a thousand times on the shelf in the past, today curiosity got the best of me.
Pours a clear deep amber color with a modest head that displays decent retention and fair lacing. Smells like banana's all right. Slightly sweet malty aroma deep behind and hints of spices like nutmeg and all spice. There's a beer under there somewhere, but for me only a swirling of the glass brings it through the banana onslaught. Taste is a hint more beery. Sweet candy sugar and light grainy malt mixed with banana's. Smooth sweet almost creamy mouthfeel, moderate level of carbonation with a medium body. I kind of enjoyed this, although It's not something I would have all the time. Extra credit for thinking outside the box.

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a clear amber brown with no head. The scene is banana and slighty toasty bready malts. Very clean and light body on the palate. Lots of banana bread flavor, I feel like it's good if you like sweet beers, and for a one off, I'm not sitting down to a sixer of it though.

Reviewed from notes, enjoyed 09/16/11

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. This pours a light brown color with a nice white head. The smell is of banana and bread malts. The feel is medium to light. The taste is of banana and malts, surprisingly there is a little hop bite at the end.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

11.2oz bottle (best by April 13, 2012) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Clear dark coppery orange. Initial hard pour gave a 1/4" off-white head which died back to a thin skin across the top and a ring at the edge of the glass. Occasional strand of lacing - very little really but what seems to appear is persistent. Good rich coppery color makes it a good looking beer to me.

Smell: Most definitely bananas. Freshly made banana pudding is what it smells like to me. For what it is trying to do, it smells pretty good.

Taste: Does not taste as sweet as it smells. Banana flavor in the front, middle and end of the beer, but other flavors are in here as well. Even my burps taste like banana. Initial taste is unripe banana with some toasted malt. Middle is a bit sweeter - more of the malt comes out. The end has banana again, but there is some definite English bitter hops at the end. I will say that when I had this another night it was actually served with some Banana bread and the two flavors complimented each other wonderfully. The sweetness of the bread tempers the bitter at the end and makes it a less of a harsh stop which I get when I drink it alone. Still, this beer and it's flavor actually works well. I was surprised how well it worked with banana bread, but even without, it's still a good beer.

Mouthfeel: Quite a lot of carbonation for an English beer - coming close to fizzy. But maybe it needs to with all the banana that's here - to move it along. I'm not feeling the love but I suspect that the carbonation is partly what makes this beer work.

Overall / Drinkability: Overall - I think one must be a lover of bananas for this beer, and while I like them, I hesitate to call myself one who loves this flavor. Still, this beer really works well. It's well balanced, the banana comes through but does not overpower, and it's quite drinkable. I could see myself having a full pint, but that would be the end. Also, given what I said about having this with banana bread one evening (not this one) the beer is really best for an after meal treat or something with dessert. I think this beer would be quite bad with other food. Still, a good beer overall and if offered I'd have it again. Not sure though if I would buy it again. Neat beer, neat experience - not a staple beer I would drink all the time.

3.22/5  rDev -8.3%

Hmmm, I wonder what this beer tastes like? Intrigued by both the idea and the ale within I decided to give it a twist and review the blighter... cheers mate! Purists will frown at ingredients that include "maize", "banana flavour" and perhaps even "sugar", but the proof is in the pudding... or banana bread... right'o then.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a conical pint.

A: This ale presents itself with a clear tawny body and a light eggshell head that dissipates to a thin lacing.

S: As advertised this brew smells very much like banana bread - they got that right at least (I'm talking about you Bickie beer!). There is nothing that really distinguishes the aroma as anything but banana bread; hops are in there somewhere but the focus is set on the bready banana smell quite explicitly... good I say - I like it when a product does what it's advertised to do.

T: Less banana and more hops than I was expecting. The flavours very much hop-centric bitterness without a strong malt base to quell it, and the banana I believe as a result of this has taken a backseat. Perhaps Wells should have followed the example set by German Weissbier brewers? I've definitely had more banana flavours in a Weiss, and if you're making a banana bread beer the message you want to send to the drinker is "Taste this! Banana bread!", instead the both of these tastes are fairly muted, oh well... the aftertaste is very banana orientated though... odd.

M: Low to mid body & carbonation as expected from an English ale.

D: Disappointed in a way; this beer smells great however the flavour profile is too much hop bitters and not enough malt, yeast & banana is coming through. It seems like a waste of a brilliant idea and if you're looking for banana flavours in a beer you're better off drinking a Weissbier... seriously. Still it is almost as drinkable as a classic English bitter, but there is a list as long as my arm of ales that would make a better option than this.

Food match: Maybe a couple slices of banana bread would make this beer taste likewise. Wishful thinking?

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

Copper colored beverage lying under a thin blanket of white foam. Head clings to the glass forming a ring with some lacing.

Aroma of ripe bananas and fresh baked bread as promised.

Banana flavor hits the taste buds right away. Descent malt character tasting of smooth white bread. Hints of rye and a mild leafy hop bitterness balances well.

Thin consistency, almost watery. Highly carbonated. Crisp finish. The taste and feel are at odds here. When I taste banana I am expecting something with a dense and creamy feel. It throws me off when I feel nothing thicker than water.

This stuff is pretty good. I have never tasted anything like it. It will not be a go to beer for me but is still interesting and worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

(A) Pours a deep amber, brown color. Ruby hues when light feeds through it. Off white head with a tint of yellow. Sits about a quarter inch on the beer

(S) The aroma is pretty straight forward and simple... It smells like banana bread. Done.

(T) One of the beers that actually tastes how it smells, which smells AND tastes what the name says it should. Sweet banana with a decent bread and malt base. Has a timid bit of hops but it's mostly malt and sweetness. Quite a decent flavor. Some vanilla kind of lurks in there along with SLIGHT chocolate that fills in with the banana.

(M) Slightly grainy. Medium body. Full on the palate. Ends pretty smooth.

(O) Not one that I would go on a search for, but it's a decent brew to have every now and then. I really can appreciate that it smells and tastes like banana bread. I've had several beers that speak of vanilla or other flavors and it might be present in the aroma but not at all in the flavor, but this beer is straight up what it claims to be.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Clear light amber color with a bumpy head.

S: Banana of course. I would compare it to the sugary sweet banana smell of Runts candies rather than to the smell of an actual banana. Some malts on the finish.

T: Slightly bitter, that same sweet sugary banana flavor from the smell (runts candy, for sure). Bready malts.

M: Real nice carbonation. Just right for an amber.

O: I like my banana bread with a bit of cream cheese. I tried the same with this beer and it does actually pair quite well. Overall, I thought the banana flavor in this beer was too artificial, but then again a real banana flavor - being more subtle - would probably disappear among the malts.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

I thought that this beer looked too strange at first to even buy, but the next time I saw it curiosity overcame my better judgement.

A: Light amber color, crystal clear with a lot of bubbles rising from the bottom. And aggressive pour yields a finger and a half of head, which has a moderate retention.

S: A little to my surprise, the beer actually smells like banana bread. Or, rather, more like the love child between beer and banana bread. Malts and grains up front are soon overwhelmed by bananas, brown sugar and cinnamon.

T: Very heavy on the banana up front, with a mix of roasted malts. The end tastes a little more nutty, and the finish is surprisingly bitter for how sweet the beer is throughout.

M: light-to medium bodied without much carbonation. I really wish that this beer was thicker, so that it was a little more like eating banana bread.

O: It's interesting, to be sure. It's not the type of beer that I would drink all the time, but it's good as a novelty beer. And it delivers on what it promises: A banana bread beer.

3.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.

A: Pours a clear light brown color. It has a small white head with little retention. It looks pretty lively with a decent amount of carbonation.

S: Smells of sweet artificial bananas, similar to a banana-like candy. Some spices, particularly cloves, are also present. It smells pleasant, despite the artificial aromas.

T: Strong artificial bananas up front. Some bready tastes come through and it finishes with a slightly bitter taste.

M: It's body is on the thinner side of a medium feel. It has a dull feel and is somewhat watery.

O: Definitely worth a try. It's a pretty unique beer. I might purchase this again if I'm in the mood. It certainly wasn't bad.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a relatively translucent copper color. Initially, there is a white head, but blink and it's gone leaving minimal lacing.

The scent of banana is both obvious and subtle. It's clearly the lead role, but it's not overpowering. Along with the banana, cinnamon and cloves are there.

Everything in the smell is present in the taste, except there is some grassy bitterness from the hops.

Kind of thin on the palate. Not smooth, a bit spicy with a slight watered down feel to it.

It seemed like a weird beer, so I had to try it. It's not something I'll keep stocked in my fridge, but I'm glad I could mark it off my to-do list.

2.99/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Drank from a chilled bottle.

A=n/a

S=A rather pronounced smell of bananas, not banana bread...no grain, barley, or hops smells were noted.

T=Bananas, yes; banana bread, no. Very light body, coupled with carbonation and sweetness, this was closer to soda pop than banana bread. Yes, you could taste the bananas, but no notes of grains anywhere. Taste improved as the beer warmed up.

M=Very loose; no body whatsoever.

O=Was hoping more for an amber or stout type consistency with darker hops presence. Not recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle to stein.

A: Bright orange, small off white head, minimal lacing.

S: Malt, bananna, touch of spice, and bubble gum.

T: Malty bananna, sweet but not cloying as I expected. Hints of spice as the hops leaves a bitter bananna finish.

M: Fairly light body, medium carbination, smooth and creamy.

O: Not as sweet as I had anticipated, would have liked it better had the hops compleatly wiped away the bananna on the finish. Instead left a bit of an aftertaste that I was not a fan of. That being said, it was easy to drink, however not something I would buy(this one was a gift).

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured the bottle into a Weizen glass (at the time it was the only clean glassware I had!). Presentation is very nice with a golden and yelllow label with an image of a banana on it and the name of the brewery. Definitely caught my attention while doing my beer shopping.

A: semi-opaque elegant amber color with a two finger head and slight lacing.

S: banana fruit, banana bread, banana pudding, and some sweet honey notes and malts. Yup, this is a banana beer.

T: starts off with the advertised banana bread flavor, but said flavor fades pretty quick in the palate to give room for peppery hops and a slight bitter finish. I was a tad disappointed as I was expecting a stronger banana taste and a sweeter finish.

M: light to medium body, medium carbonation, dry finish.

O: this is a solid fruit beer, although I wish the banana taste was a little more pronounced. The beer does a good job in introducing the banana on the nose but falls short when it comes to replicating that characteristic in the taste.

4.82/5  rDev +37.3%

Appearance: Light, blonde, and clear.
Smell: Clean, crisp with a hint of banana.
Taste: Light taste, easy on the palate. Slight hint of banana without the sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and light
Drinkability: Nice beer that has a hint of banana bread. Very easy to drink and goes down smooth.

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

poured from 11.2oz bottle into imperial pint glass

A-poured a nice sopper with a 2 finger head that left some lacing as it faded

S-bananas with a little spice

T-pretty much what the bottle says --- banana bread --- so if you like banana bread the only thing that would make it better is if you could put butter on it

M-good carbonation maybe a little on the thin side

O-I like banana bread so this rates pretty high for me

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

A - amber, dark red, brown, Honey color. tiny nice head. it gaves you the sense that this is not going to be an average beer.

S&T - The smell is totally a new thing. Essence of banana and honey everywhere. Excellent smell that gaves you the intro to was is going to be this beer. The taste is most banana flavor. Honey,orange, wheat are the dominant flavors going around.

M - Not watery, not dense. very balanced beer. I would preferred this beer a little more dense.

O - A excellent beer that i would try without doubt. Nice style of beer, well developed. Not a banana overwhelming flavor.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

Well, someone had to do it. Definitely a big banana aroma. Pleasant beery taste and nice carbonated mouthfeel. Thin body, not much malt or sugar, surprisingly. Touch of hops provides a slight bitter aftertaste. Whatever they put in this, it does taste like muffins or carrot cake.

I"m not sure I need another one, but it does make you think. Maybe it needs hazelnuts. Or just a lot of malt and some burnt sugar.

2.56/5  rDev -27.1%

A - Pours a deep copper color. Decent head, good retention. Not much lacing.

S - It smells just like banana bread: heavy on the banana, light on the spices.

T - The "light on the spices" part applies to the smell only; in terms of taste, the spices are a bit overpowering -- unpleasant, really -- certainly detracting from the experience. There's definitely a lot of banana in here too, but it's an artificial, "chemically" flavor; plus, there's a fair amount of malt, and adequate hops. I was expecting more yeast flavor from a beer using the word "bread" on the label

M - Crisp, with good carbonation (but that harsh spice taste makes me hardly notice).

O - Not quite a sink-pour, mainly because I couldn't force myself to pour out such an expensive beer. My buddy with whom I split it also finished his, but after much longer than he normally takes. I'm surprised this comes from the same folks who make the tasty Double Chocolate Stout.

2.4/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours a clear light golden amber topped by a thin but frothy head. Retains and laces reasonably well.

Aroma is 100% banana chips. Banana aroma feels somewhat artificial.

It tastes like an incredibly dull and boring British pale ale. Mixed with banana.

The end.

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Pours out a clear copper color with an off-white two finger head. Seeing good retention. Carbonation is very noticeable. No lacing.

S - The nose is full of banana bread as stated. Also getting some grains, caramel malts and a decent amount bitter hops in the background. Mostly banana though which smells fantastic.

T - The bitter hops shine through up front on the taste with graininess and caramel notes again coming through the middle. Still picking up sweet bananas but more so in the finish.

M - I love the mouth feel. Smooth, crisp and clean. Excellent carbonation as well. Just feels good.

O - Really interesting beer. I like that the banana is obvious and that you don't have to dig for it. Too bad its so expensive. Had this once before but I think I like it much better this time around.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. A decent buy at around $4.00 for the bottle from Shoprite Liquors in Hamilton, NJ.

Appearance: A nice copper color pour with a 1/2" head. The head receded after a few minutes to a light beige ring with decent lacing when tilted in preparation of the first sip.

Smell: Wonderful sweet banana bread aroma followed by light malt, finishing with a raisin-prune aroma.

Taste: Mild spiciness, with a dry, bitter banana flavor is what I get first. The banana flavor was not as dominant as the aroma, which surprised me. I was expecting the banana esters, similar to that in a fine Hefe, or Dunkelweizen, but not the case with this beer. Again, a slightly bitter beer that is missing the sweetness noted in the aroma. Unique, but not what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is lively enough, with a light to moderate body and watery texture.

Overall: I love the taste of banana in beer, which is why I am drawn to the Hefeweizen and Dunkelweizen styles. I figured with a name that has "banana bread" in it then I must try it. I would probably buy again but can't see committing to more than a bottle at a time. Certainly not a session beer but a "should try" if you enjoy banana flavor in your beer.

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%

I drank this from a mug...

Pours a light copper color with a foamy off-white head. The smell is dominated by fresh and fruity banana there is a slight tang to it and some nutty malt. It tastes mostly of banana bread (not surprisingly) with some sweet malt and a peppery hop accent. The beer is light with low but sharp carbonation and a pleasing finish. This is a solid and straight forward beer, nothing to complain about here.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd