Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours amber with very little head..bit of an aggressive pour too.

Smells like banana bread. Really, there is no masking it on this one. Hits you right in the face

Tastes like banana bread, but there is this weird aftertaste (its banana). I'm not sure I'm a fan of the aftertaste. The actual beer is fine.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and smooth. Drinkability is fine, after all its a fruit beer. Just that damn aftertaste...

kshankar, Nov 17, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

16.9oz bottle. Pours a golden amber color with a white head. The aroma features a good amount of banana. The taste has a little bit less banana flavor but it is still evident. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty decent brew tha is definitely worth a try.

cjgator3, Nov 17, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours a light amber color with little head and little lace.

Wow intense bannana smell can also pick up the sweet bready smell.

Damn that is bannana bread! Intense bannana taste. Bannana lovers this is your beer. Slightly bready and smooth. Gave this the highest marks because it really taste like bannana bread.

Surprise this is smooth with a hell of a bannana after taste. Could not shake the bannana taste from my mouth. Would never have more than one of these.

Blitzstyle, Nov 16, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up this bottle at the Morton Williams in New York City after reading about it in a BA magazine.

Pours a fascinating brownish black with little foam. Very appealing to the eyes.

Smells like....banana bread! No surprises here, though with eyes closed, nobody would ever think this was a beer. Unreal.

Taste opens like a banana then the malt comes through but wrapped in a sweetness. Mild bitter lurks in the background that is difficult to describe, but a unique flavor to me. Smooth in the mouthfeel.

Tasty, drinkable - but truly a novelty beer, not something to go back to multiple times over.

KTCamm, Nov 13, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

I picked this up at Whole Foods in Walnut Creek.

Appearance- amber color, little to no head

Smell- banana, malt

Taste- WOW! the banana flavor amazed me, blew me away, very nice banana flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- very nice, I would and will definitely drink this again.

jeffjeff1, Nov 11, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a clear golden orange color with a one finger off-white foam head that quickly settles into a thin ring. No lacing to speak of.

Aroma is dominated by ripe banana with a decent malt backbone and slight hops. Bready yeast along with the ripe banana notes make this smell exactly like banana bread.

Surpisingly hop forward with a some nice floral characetr. The flavor is again dominated by a sugary sweet banana flavor. Slightly bready medium body which is pretty crisp and clean with some biscuit nutty malt. Kind of a silly gimmick but actually succeeds in tasting like banana bread.

corby112, Nov 10, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

i tried this beer at a winterfestival this past weekend and was blown away by the overall pleasant drinking experience it gave me. we all knew it would smell great and look ok but tatse... wow! its great. its not syrupy or overwhelming like banana first ale second. no no. this one is done correctly. ale first banana second. i think after a nice bitterly smooth ale kick the banana fades into the back of ur tastebuds. perfect. my suggestion... try with youngs dbl choc stout. u guessed it. banana split. enjoy to all

yeast, Nov 09, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

Very enjoyable!

Little to no head, a nice amber color.
Smells like beer and banana bread!
TASTES like banana bread beer, a perfect mixture.
A decent amount of carbonation and just a wonderful beer.
As a plain beer this is even delicious.

For something different try this! I will again.

Spineypanda, Nov 05, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

Oh my god, wow! This is so delicious. You think you don't like fruit flavored beers? Don't be lame. You like banana bread, right? This tastes like banana bread. It also smells like banana bread. How can that possibly be bad? Not only that, but the underlying ale is good, too. But this banana taste is just brilliant.

dionisio, Nov 02, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -16%

L - Poured into a pint glass, it was a light brown with a slightly yellow coloured head.

S - The smell wasn't banana bread but more like banana fritters, and a slight bit of malt too.

T - The initial taste was obviously that of bananas, with a herby/bitter aftertaste.

M&D - The sweetness of a bananas made its drinkability factor drop slightly but the levels of carbonation gave it a good feel.

Overall The novelty of it is by far the most appealing aspect (that and the smell)

Fizzlybear, Oct 31, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

poured an amber color with an ok head a little lacing the smell is bananas right away a little spice some cinnamon and nutmeg..the taste is banana bread all the way with some cinnamon and caramrl malt in the background i also detect some apples and pears the mouthfeel is to much banana it overwhelms this beer its all im tasting..however it is one to try its just not one to have to often

gatornation, Oct 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

THIS IS MY FIRST POST SO BEAR WITH ME...

A--POUR INTO A GLASS, HAS A NICE COLOR TO IT, GOLDEN.

S-- LIKE THE BOTTLE SAYS BANANA BREAD BUT THE CANDY STORE KIND

T-- PRETTY TASTY, THE BANANA ISN'T OVERPOWERING

M--DIDN'T HOLD THE BANANA FLAVOR, KIND OF FIZZLED OUT

D--SHARED IT WITH MY WIFE, SHE SAID SHE WOULD DRINK IT ALL NIGHT, I ONTHE OTHER HAND WOULD BE COOL AFTER THE FIRST AND THEN SWITCH IT UP

BUNK517, Oct 17, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Medium Brown body with low retention tan head.

S - Of course this beer smells like banana. It's more like banana laffy taffy (fake banana) but it still smells good. Slightly nutty/grainy smell as well.

T - The taste of banana is not as trong as the smell of it in this one. It does taste a bit nutty, slightly sweet and slightly bitter.

M - This one is more on the carbonated side and not terribly smooth. Same mouthfeel as any other traditional ale.

D - Pretty easy to drink but nothing standing out enough to make me want two. This beer is good but doesn't have anything unique about it aside from that mild banana smell and taste.

Notes - This one is worth trying. It's different and a good unique flavor experience.

BeerForMuscle, Oct 16, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Wells Banana Bread Beer
Wells & Young's Ltd
Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer
ABV: 5.20 %

Tried with PP during a brew tasting during brew day.

3.0 on Appearance, 4.0 on everything else.

Appearance is dark amber in color with a small head thats gone quick. Smells like a banana bomb in an all natural kinda of way... not artificial as expected. Tastes as it smells without being overly sweet or cloying. Medium in body and carbonation.

I scroe this a 4.0 on drinkability for a fruit brew. It reminded me of an banana laced cider, not overly sweet or too fruit intense. Good for one, maybe mix half with a Stout for a twist, but count me out on a second round. Good for something different. Try a slash in a stout sometime, it may surprise you.

unclejimbay, Oct 15, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

I was excited to try this beer as who doesn't love Banana Bread. Not surprisingly there was slight aroma's of Banana and caramel. The hops leave a slight bitter aftertaste that affects how many I would want to have in a sitting. I don't mind slightly bitter beers but in my opinion a "Banana Bread" expierence should have a slight sweetness to it. I would recomend this brew I just wouldn't go out of my way to find it after already trying it. Cheers!

BackAlleyBev, Oct 10, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a clear, light copper color with a fluffy cap of cream colored head. Retention is just ok and does not leave much lacing behind.

The nose is sweet malts and almost a banana extract smell as opposed to fresh, ripe bananas. I dont really get a nutty aroma nor any notes of bread, I think they could have done better on the smell with a more pronounced yeast and some bolder, nutty malts.

There is a bit more banana nut bread balance to the beer upon tasting. The banana flavor is a bit more natural and the nutty malts show up a bit along with a toastily bittering finish that seems to be helped along by a touch of leafy hops. I cant help but think this beer is a bit thin. This seems to be a style that screams for a viscous, creamy mouthfeel with a tad more sweetness. It's an interesting beer and worth trying for sure, but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

twiggamortis420, Oct 07, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Clear amber pour with not too much head
Aroma-Definite banana/banana bread
Taste-Bananas and malt up front, with a snappy,warm, peppery finish. Light to medium bodied-Creamy, and actually nicely balanced between the banana sweetness and peppery/hop notes that impart a bit of a "tingly" finish.
Overall, nicely balanced and interesting-Would make a fine dessert beer. I was a bit skeptical at first, but pleasantly surprised. Not a bad beer to try for an interesting and different taste experience.

hosehead83, Sep 27, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: golden brown in color, no head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: banana dominates, some brown sugar as well

Taste: banana dominates, toasted malt, light hops

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, crisp, dry, semi-sweet

Drinkability: This is the most banana I have had in a non-hefe. I like the fruit flavor on top of the dry beer. It is a nice change from fruit beer that can taste too much like syrup. I would have this again, but two is the most I will have in a sitting. I do not get the advertised bread taste and certainly no nutty taste either which I am used to on banana bread.

tigg924, Sep 25, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Not much head on the unique bottle pour, this intrigued me and I was expecting a Belgien type but this was more of an ale with banana flavoring. Very unique and good, big banana aroma with an acidic mouthfeel and banana notes. This is a beer to have one of, but not a session beer. Good though if you are into that flavor profile. If this were served at the EBF folks would rave about it I think...it is extreme.

HiAIPA, Sep 24, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -41.3%

500ml bottle given to me as a gift by nickd717. He mentioned that this is his favorite beer of all time, so I had high hopes for it.

Banana Bread Beer looks like banana bread. Beer. It's the color of banana bread with a head that looks exactly like banana bread, except it's foam instead of banana bread. It's similar to banana bread though. The body is like banana bread except clear, so in that sense it's nothing like banana bread, because, as far as I know, banana bread has never been made clear before. I doubt that's even possible.

It smells like banana taffy, not banana bread. This is hugely disappointing. I love banana bread and I was expecting this to smell like banana bread, not banana taffy.

This kind of tastes like banana bread at first, but then it doesn't taste like banana bread, it has this weird bitter flavor that reminds me of beer. After the weird beer flavor it starts to taste like banana bread again, but then the beer flavor COMBINES with the banana bread flavor and it tastes like someone made banana bread with beer instead of water, which is just a stupid idea. If you're going to make banana bread, do it right and leave the beer out of it. I don't know why you love this stuff so much nickd717, and I'm never trusting your opinion on banana bread again.

largadeer, Sep 23, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

nut brown color than is translucent. a thin white had on top than fades away before i'm ready to taste. leaves some decent lacing, appearance is just ok.
subtle, subtle scent of banana, more of a fresh baked bread aroma than banana. some caramel malt is also there.
ahh, there's the banana! now i'm happy. banana is without a doubt present, this beer definitely resembles banana bread. a the taste of alcohol warms as it goes down.
this brew has an upper medium level of carbonation, which indeed makes it have a crisp taste.
its drinkable, would definitely go great with dessert.

i LOVE banana bread, so i really enjoyed the taste. definitely something unique to me. i'd definitely get this brew again.

JordonHoltzman, Sep 22, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Although I am something of a traditionalist when it comes to my barley beverages, and a creature of habit (as are many beer drinkers), I occasionally stray from the path. Here, in Wells and Young's Banana Bread Beer, is a classic departure from the norm - picked not for any of the usual reasons, but because it was so different.

The label describes the beer as having "tempting banoffee aromas and flavors" balanced by "silky richness of a masterful malt blend and the peppery...hops". Made with fairly traded bananas, I thought this was going to be just another of those pretentious yuppie beers.

A banana beer must surely be wrong, my inner traditionalist cried, and whilst this is not wrong, but it's not quite right, either.

It has a bright, coppery colour, it looks appealing on the pour, though with a thin head. Immediately but subtly, there's the first whiff of bananas, coupled with a light, toasty maltiness. I had poured it straight from the 'fridge, so I was quite surprised at the depth, both of flavour and scent - I normally expect those to develop as the temperature rises.

The first swallow confirms the bananas and adds a faint, almost toffee flavour. It has a nice body, with a rich mouthfeel, is sweet without being over-the-top, and the banana is almost perfectly balanced against the light hoppiness. In short, it's a pleasant ale, and I was pleased that my $4.89 wasn't a waste.

That said, it's not a truly great beer. There's something lacking that I found it hard to pin down at the time. I realise now that I was expecting it to improve as it warmed up, and it didn't. In fact it lost a lot of the opening appeal as time went on. If I'm going to pay that much for a beer, I want it to be at least as satisyfing at the finish as at the start.

Given my preference for beers that keep up (or even improve somewhat) as they warm up, I was slightly disappointed. The fruitiness waned as I got closer to the end, and though I may be expecting a lot, I feel that a beer that can't hold its own for fifteen or twenty minutes isn't worth the candle.

Despite my reservations, I'm fairly happy with it - it has a great opening, there are pleasant surprises, but you'd better down it while it's still got its legs. You'd better drink it cold, on a really hot day. It's certainly worth trying, if only for the novelty value. Will I buy it again? Probably not, but I'll have one if you're buying.

wertperch, Sep 21, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass this beer is definately a lot lighter on the tongue than I usually prefer. The color is light copper to deep straw in color. There is literally no head past the first few seconds after the pour.

The smell is of over-ripe bananas and faintly similar to store bought banana bread. Honestly I've had much better banana flavor and aroma from belgian beers with the correct yeast. No ester flavors here - this seems like a lager to me.

Taste is watery and very underwhelming. There's not much going on here - I'm definately going to add this to young's double chocolate stout.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and overly carbonated - doing nothing for me at this point.

Drinkability is high but that doesn't count for much with me these days. Just because I can drink 12 of them doesn't mean I want to. I'll pass next time I see this one.

PerzentRizen, Sep 17, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +6%

Translucent Golds and Terracotta and faint bubbles racing to the surface.

Smells like every banana taffy I have ever eaten no sign of alcohol.

Taste is all English ale up front tight crisp hops and a nice bite of bitter on the back of the tongue followed with a banana bread finish that sticks in your mouth a bit.

This beer is very refreshing and unfortunately good, I was very skeptical about this one I was expecting the obvious added flavor of a Sam adams fruity beer...

Not my style but It is a treat.

Bricelyn, Sep 13, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

1 pint .09 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Dated 07/31/09.

Body is a dark but clean amber color typical of some other common English Ales. Forms a medium head with below average retention. Leaves some thin lacing that fades quickly.

Bananas jump right out front on the aroma but I'd compare it more to dried banana chips than banana bread. A fun, slighly nostalgic childhood smell. Behind that some other fruits peek through including yellow apples and maybe some faint pear.

Flavor is similar to the typical mild fruitiness of an EPA for a second but that's quickly followed by more banana. Here it reminds me of a shake made with over ripe bananas but eventually fades back into the banana chip character I picked up on the nose. While not dominant, there are definitely some leafy tea like hops in there as well.

A light, easy drinking, lighly carbonated brew but the flavor profile is a little thin. Got old fast in my opinion and the last few sips stopped being fun.

Overall okay as a novelty but that's about it. Might work out paired in small portions with fried bananas but otherwise I can't imagine buying this again.

berkey, Sep 12, 2009