Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.35/5  rDev -4%

A-Pours a clear copper color with a smallish head and virtually no lacing on the glass.
S-Malty,bready, syrupy, with dark fruit aromas and of course bananas.
T-It tastes like banana bread...oh that's right that's the name of this. The banana bready taste is up front with a malty finish. Would have liked a little more lasting afternotes of the banana.
M-Thin with minimal carbonation, very close to tasting a little flat.
D-An average beer at least for the curiosity factor, but really nothing more than that.

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Pours a nice light amber with a nice airy 2 finger head.

S - Wow, this smells like....banana bread...warm banana bread! Extremely sweet caramel, cinnamon, raisins, maple.

T - Same as the smell. Nice sweet malt comes through and it ends with a dull spiciness on the finish. Towards the end it kinda reminds me of that 99 bananas liqueur.

M- Medium creamy body.

Who doesn't like banana bread? This beer is exactly what the label says. I must say it was quite enjoyable. I was expecting to taste like odd fake banana flavor but it was very tasty. If you like banana bread you should try this beer. It would be nice to a few of these around for desert.

2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

16.9 oz bottle, chilled. $7.49 at a New Leaf market

I was disappointed in this beer, expected it to have a sweeter banana flavor. Pours an amber-golden color, not much head to it. Noticeable carbonation. The aroma was nice, you can definitely smell the banana. The taste threw me off, mostly a lager but slightly more bitter. Had a slight banana taste in the background, but I actually would have liked more. I barely finished the whole thing, wouldn't buy it again unless it was much cheaper.

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 1 pint 0.9 oz bottle into my East End Brewing Co. pint glass...

A - Poured a clear copper/amber color with the slightest of eggshell white heads (about half of a finger).

S - Smells like it says it should; banana bread. I feel it's more the fruit and spices than a "bread" smell. But it smells like a cold banana bread that was just pulled out ofthe fridge. There is a solid malt backgound that all of the banana bread flavors dance around upon.

T - Banana bread flavors up front and a solid big malt finish. The banana is much more subdued than it was in the nose. Malt, almost toasted caramel malt, becomes the bigger bolder flavor on the tongue. Some toffee like flavors also come about as the beer warms a little.

M - Has this tickling feeling as I swallow it. Slightly carbonated and a medium feel on the palate. Very very very light on the back of the pallate

D - Well, I don't really know. I mean, I guess if you're a HUGE fan of banana bread, then this might be the one for you. I am a huge fan ofbanana bread and I still didn't find this the most appetizing of beers. Pretty much a banana flavored lager.

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

I poured this beer into two different glasses and a flared pilsner produced the best experience. It was an unusual beer but pleasant.

A: It had a deep clear amber and a semi-foamy head.

S: Just like the bottle indicates, it smelled like banana bread, but there were also hints of malt. It had good bubble retention and the banana aroma became more dominate as I neared the bottom of the glass.

T: As one might guess, it tasted like banana bread. Aside from the banana flavor there was a nice maltiness in the background. As the beer reached the bottom of the glass the taste of banana became more pronounced.

D: It had a nice drinkability. It took me longer to drink this beer compared to other lighter lagers.

Overall I would recommend this simply because it was interesting. I don't think I could drink this everyday or once a week, but I could see myself getting this once a year during winter. I would suggest having this as an after dinner beer or with dessert.

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours yellow with a big fluffy white head.

Smells like banana Runts. Kinda off-putting, but I happen to like banana Runts.

Tastes like banana Runts with a little yeast and nutty "bread" finish. Not bad when you give it some time.

The feel is fairly nice and creamy.

Not too bad. I'd have it again, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden/amber color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, banana, hops, and slight vanilla. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a slight dryness noticeable. Tastes of strong banana (just like banana flavored smarties), pale malt, yeast, slight grain, and slight spice (clove). Overall, good aroma and body.

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Got from a co-worker. Thanks, Robin!

Poured a dark golden color into tulip glass. The smell of banana bread enters the nostrils. The taste of banana is definitely on the palate. Average mouthfeel. Light backend. Nothing overwhelming. Decent drinkability with a banana bread flavor. Overall, a decent beer with a banana taste.

2.53/5  rDev -27.5%

Amazingly horrible, why were so many beer lovers telling us to try this?!?!? Thankfully this was a courtesy bottle by a local beer store.

A= light yellow, not much else.

S= banana, the kind that comes from chemically created fake-banana taste and scent.

T= bitter, surgical, I've had better prescribed and nasty medications, this stuff just tasted like mediocre beer with a quick fix of adding raw chemical banana-flavor like they use in scientific research. All of us put our glasses down after the first sip and made groaning and moaning sounds. I continued on with mine, just hoping for some salvation but I found none.

M= chemical, bitter, nasty.

D= 3 glasses down the drain should tell you something.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Lives up to the name. Smells more like banana than it tastes, but the flavor is present. A yeasty, bready flavor follows the initial banana taste. Not much more to this beer, a tad stale on the finish, but a good fruit beer and unique to say the least.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

This is one of my favorite beers to drink not only because my friends are always more interested in me while I drink it, but also because I love bananas. With that said, I hope to not make my review too biased. If you like bananas, this is worth a try.

A- Not much to say here. Average beer yellow color with an average head. Nothing special

S- Smells like, oh you guessed it, bananas. Like a monkey's cage the morning-after. This could be a turn-off for some, but it entices me.

T- Tastes like an average, cheap American lager as you drink but leaves a distinct after taste of bananas that is delicious

M- Carbonated and a bit thin. I wish it had more of a "bread" feel to it, but it is nicer than most beers

D- This beer is highly drinkable because it leaves such a pleasant after taste that always calls you back for more. Overall, it is nothing earth-shattering but is a very enjoyable, and different, beer to try

3.7/5  rDev +6%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Delirium tulip. 5.2% ABV, 03/11/10 on the neck, not sure if that's best before or bottled on.

A - A tall pour creates a frothy off-white head but is very poorly retained and leaves absolutely no lace on the glass. The beer is a clear amber-brown with good carbonation.

S - Warm, soft, moist banana bread fresh from the oven is a delicious nose that does the beer's name justice. Hints of lightly toasted malts fall behind and let the banana bread do all the work here.

T - The banana bread is backed off a bit in the flavor. More of the toasted caramel malt and tiny English hop hint is prevalent than the banana bread.

M - Medium-bodied and high in carbonation with a soft tickle to the finish. Banana Bread goes down smoothly with a lingering banana finish.

D - Very drinkable for what it is. I remember having this a while back and it being much better; more full banana bread flavor.

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

A: This poured clear copper with some light tan head.
S: It smelled like ripe bananas with some nutty malt and bready yeast and a bit of lemon and copper.
T: It tasted primarily of bananas (not quite ripe), with some bready yeast and a bit of light nutty malt and metallic hops. It had a fairly clean bitter aftertaste.
M: It was slightly thick with moderate carbonation.
D: This was just as expected. Clean and drinkable and quite unique. It's not something I would crave often, but it was nice to try once.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours a copper color with a very small amount of head. Some minimal lacing around the glass as you drink. Carbonation looks about right. It looks about average, but as a "bready" beer I had hoped it would be a little more "bready" looking.

S: Wow, very sweet... candy, bubble gum, and (obviously) lots of banana. There is also some spiciness in there. To me, the aroma cloys at the fact that the "banana flavor added" may not be natural.

T: The taste very much follows the smell, although the hops are a bit more detectable. The hop/malt balance is pretty good, but almost undetectable. There is no doubt that this is a very sweet brew. As a fan of banana bread, I would say this does it justice as a beer, although I am a little concerned about what "banana flavor added" means.

M: I think the mouthfeel of this beer was somewhat of a letdown as I found it to be a bit thin, definitely not "bready." That said, it isn't at all watery, and the carbonation is nice, so it isn't a total loss.

D: Although I was a bit disappointed with the lighter mouthfeel, it definitely improved the drinkability of this beer. Probably too sweet to be a good session beer, but it sits pretty light in the stomach and goes down nice.

Overall, glad I picked this one off the shelf. I had seen it several times but never took the plunge because it was a bit on the expensive side. Probably wouldn't pick it up again unless it was on sale, or I had a super craving for banana bread, but I don't feel that my money was wasted. A unique beer, to say the least.

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 mL bottle ('cuz this beer ain't cheap, so I went small on the first try)

Pours a clear amber, on the lighter yellow side, with a 1/2 in. white head.

Initial smell contained no banana, just some malty bread...however, banana aroma became detectable as it warmed. My recommendation: wait 15 minutes (or more) after removing from fridge before pouring. After all, the English like their beer "cool."

Tastes of a slightly spiced ale, with a syrupy banana flavor (that doesn't taste "fake"). Definitely sweet, but not sickeningly so. Also, bready - the name fits!

This beer is fairly thick and filling, very creamy on the palate and I would absolutely give mouthfeel a 5 save for two things: aggressive fizz and some wateriness in the aftertaste.

Not a very drinkable beer...unless you've had nothing to eat all day and want to get drunk on several of these. Otherwise, I would never want more than one of this dessert-like beer.

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

For what they were trying to go for I think they did a good job, but what they were going for may not be the best thing ever. The color wasn't very attractive, it is an ugly dull brownish, orange-ish mess. The aroma is a lot stronger than I was hoping for, I wasn't expecting it to smell exactly like banana bread, but it does. Just on the nose there was very little else. The initial taste is a banana attack and a very strong attack at that. The mid palate taste and even feels a bit like butterscotch which is I think saves it from being too overwhelming. The finish is a little watered down which was actually quite pleasant. I definitely think that this isn't a beer you can drink often but was exciting anyway and could probably be had with some food.

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Very attractive caramel/amber color with moderate white head

Aroma: Malty with a hint of banana. There's a very clear banana bread undertone, almost like it's baking in the oven while you are brewing beer.

Taste: Tastes EXACTLY like banana bread - in a very good way. I love the flavor because it is so unexpected in a beer. It's warm and toasty and malty, and the banana just blends into the other flavors so well

Mouthfeel: Medium body, bordering on heavy/full in the mouth

Drinkability: While it's easy to drink, I don't think anyone would want to drink more than one bottle per sitting. Sort of like how one piece of banana bread is great, but I don't want to eat the whole loaf.

Notes: While I can't see this being for everyone, I love banana bread and love oddly/full flavored beers... so I love this.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Clear amber. Poured with a tiny white head that quickly disappeared. Some blobbly lacing that didn't really stick around.

S- Wow! Sweet spices (cinnamon, clove), banana. Pretty darned close to actually sniffing a loaf of bread.

T- Like the smell, but very watered down. Banana, spices, and pink bubblegum. Light bitter aftertaste. Underwhelming.

M- Light bodied, pretty close to water. Weak carbonation. To its credit it is refreshing.

D- I wasn't sure what to expect from this even after reading the reviews. The smell was great and really got my hopes up, but I was disappointed with how weak the flavor was. Worth trying once, but amp up the flavor a bit and I might be more interested in drinking it again.

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Amber, clear, with a two finger bubbly head, that had minimal retention and a little bit of stick on the sides.

S - A lot of banana, bit of nut, some floral spice.

T - Tastes a lot like banana, which is good. A little bit sour on the end. Actually might finish a little bit bitter. The banana is fairly real tasting, which makes this a solid take on a fruit beer.

M - Medium, kind of sugary.

D - Pretty easy to drink, could probably do more than one.

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Poured into a 16oz glass dark translucent amber color. Little to no head very thin.

S- Distinct banana the most prominent smell not as overpowering as I expected however. Little nutty smell as well.

T- Banana is extremely prevalent here pretty much the only thing I can taste.

M- Very smooth. Barely any kind of feel at all.

D- Not a big fan of very strong fruit tastes however this one did not turn me off as I expected.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pretty nice gold-amber color with a very thin stark white head that dissipates to a ring around the glass about halfway through. Smells include tangy sweet malt, ripe banana, and some spices, nutmeg or allspice maybe. The taste follows with sweet malt and banana, same difficult to pinpoint spice, with a hint of brown sugar. Nicely balanced, the hops do their job and give just a little kick but are not prominent. They do come out a little more as the beer warms up, and a little bit of rye-like spice comes out.
The texture of this beer is definitely the best part of it, light-medium bodied with a great creaminess, feels like it leaves a light coating of banana cream on my tongue that lasts for a couple minutes after a drink. Highly drinkable, nothing disagreeable about it at all (if you like banana, and if not why pick up this beer?); smooth, light, and the banana and sweetness are present but not cloying.
A beer that doesn't quite live up to the deliciousness of it's name, but pleasant and well crafted.

Poured into a pint glass at room temperature this beer started with a thick foamy white head that dissipated with the first sip

Smell: Floral/bananas

Taste: Slight spice/bananas!

I am a huge fan of banana beers and this one rocked my world. I had first discovered the world of banana beer through a much more subtle beer called El Jefe Weizen Ale of Hale's Ales. I recently went to my co-op and couldn't find El Jefe so I tried this beer and I now prefer it.

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Poured into a standard pint glass that was at room temperature. A small 1/2 inch white head that dissipates quickly with no lacing. A little amber color that is very clean and clear.

S- Just as I expected, banana bread! A little more nutty than sweet. A malty caramel aroma is also there, but the banana is very overpowering.

T- The flavor is banana but not as sweet as I would have thought. There is a spice in the background, but I'm not sure what. You can also get a grassy hop flavor in the finish. The beer is actually a little crisp and bitter. I thought it would be a little more doughy.

MF- Very crisp and refreshing !

D- A very easy to drink beer, but I think one is plenty. Not that I didn't like the beer, just the banana flavor would get old quickly.

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

After long anticipation (and waiting for a 12 oz size to come in) I was finally able to try this beer being that I love Banana Bread.

When pouring the beer, it's a copper color, and has little to no head.

When opening the bottle immediately you're presented with a strong smell of bananas.

The taste was just like it smelled, like banana's. It made me feel like I was drinking an actual loaf of banana bread.

The mouthfeel was the only down part of this beer as there wasn't much any

Overall this beer is very drinkable and worth the wait. I knew once I opened the bottle that it would be a good one and I would definitely buy again.

3.35/5  rDev -4%

Copper colored with an off-white head that quickly settles to a thin lace. Smells of bananas (gosh!) and a slight mineral smell. Tastes of bananas, bubbblegum, and a slightly bitter hops bite and a touch of calcium. The aftertaste has a touch of cinnamon as well. Mouthfeel is soft, with a touch of carbonation. Very drinkable. Good balance of the sweet with the hops elements. I like it :)

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd