Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

graciously shared by gottajiboo2. Thank you my friend!

This is a very quaffable English bitter with a banana bread twist. Simple, drinkable; tasty.

Appearance: Pours a light copper yellow with a beige head and spotty lace.

Smell: Light citrus presence in the nose along with the big banana aroma.

Taste: It is bready with solid bitterness along with the banana presence and pie spices; and it never becomes cloying. Balanced, approachable, very easy drinking.

Mouthfeel: It has a smooth medium body with a dry crisp finish. Refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a drinkable beer. Easy to put a few back.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Oct 30, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

($4.11 @ Green's on Buford Hwy in Atlanta, GA)

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber body with a full, foamy white head.

Smell: Banana-laden aroma more reminiscient of a taffy than a banana bread. Faint spiciness in the background.

Taste: Biscuit malt flavor with a brief, mild caramel sweetness. The banana addition, though strong in the aroma, eases up in the taste to allow the mildly bready malts to step forward. Hint of graininess. Spicy hop finish with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: These novelty beers are pretty hit or miss, usually miss, but this isn't half bad! I'd honestly try this one again sometime.

ChainGangGuy, Oct 28, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +14%

Fairly interesting beer that is done quite subtly. No screaming banana flavors here, but instead some light fresh banana integrated with a malty/bready body. Not bad. Pours a light amber with an okay initial head that fades just a tad quickly. The smell is of banana and bubblegum. The banana smells natural- not artificial. The taste is a little more subtle but the bananas are still there along with a yeasty breadiness and a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is dry and smooth. All in all, quite nice if not my every day cup of tea.

Georgiabeer, Oct 27, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance - a diluted amber, good clarity. A thin off-white cover, complete but very thin. Some stray lacing, but not much.

Aroma - well, it's certainly banana-y. Like banana Laffy Taffy. A background touch of roasted grain. Doesn't smell like beer, but it ain't bad.

Taste - grainy, a tad sour up front. Some modest roasted grain and banana. A breath of alcohol mixed in there. A nice balance of hops on the swallow. Exactly as billed, I'd say.

Mouthfeel - some smoothness enhancing the fruit, I like that. Well carbonated too, preventing an overly heavy feel.

Drinkability - a super fruit beer, provided you're bananas! A great beer tasting pick.

brewdlyhooked13, Oct 22, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

I love beer. I love banana bread. Let's give this a try.

Clear light amber in color with a white head. Moderate carbonation -lots of slow moving bubbles. Not much in the way of lacing.

Banana bread aroma - no doubt about it. Some malty wheat and a touch of hops in the background. Wonderful aroma - very inviting.

Flavor is sweet and strong with banana and nuts. Starts off tasting like banana bread, but that quickly fades to a sweet cloying mess accented by a sourness that sticks in your throat. Not good.

Thick and syrupy - a bit sticky. Hard to continue to be open-minded after tasting.

I could only manage a few sips before giving up. I love bananas, bread, nuts, and banana bread. I do not like this beer. Banana bread flavor leaves too fast, leaving a cloying sweetness and lingering sourness.

Lupe, Oct 20, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Very, very interesting brew. Perhaps the hardest beer to review I've come across.

Pours an effervescent, bubbling yellow with tons of carbonation and a big head. Smell is pure bananas with hint of bread....not so much banana bread as roasted bananas.

The taste is....bananas. Definitely more yeast/malt/bread tones in the flavor rather than the smell. A bit of hops to balance out the sweet bananas, but this beer is what it's billed as. Many times I'll try a "fruit beer" only to discover that it has but a hint of the desired flavor; that's not the case here.

If you're in the mood for a banana-ish beer, this is a solid 4.5-5. But, that's a pretty narrow taste desire. I enjoyed this beer much more than the ranking I'm giving would indicate, because I was definitely in the mood for a beer of this sort. I'd like nothing better than to sip this on a Costa Rican plantation while wearing a white panama hat (yes: the hat is necessary).

Overlord, Oct 20, 2007
2.08/5  rDev -40.4%

Clear amber pour and well carbonated. Very nice color.

Pleasant banana aroma dominates, but maybe a bit one dimensional.

Not much happening in the flavor department. Hops attempt an appearance, but do not blend particularly well with the banana flavor. Poorly balanced flavors attempt to blend with a mildly astringent finish. Mouthfeel is thin.

This is a bad beer, but it's unique and trying to fit a niche. It certainly has some pleasant aromatic characteristics, but flavors lack balance and left me disappointed, especially since a 20 ounce bottle cost me $5.

longarm, Oct 19, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

This interesting selection pours a golden orange amber with a tight effervescent white head that recedes relatively quickly leaving a decent ring of lace.

Plenty of banana and malty wheat in the aroma. Sweet with toasty grain and mild banana. A hint of a buttery nuttiness and some more banana in the finish.

Moderate in carbonation but still remains smooth and buttery velvet on the tongue.

The overall experience is solid. If there is one thing to say about this beer it would be that it is true to its name. I imagine that if someone plopped a glass of this stuff in front of me and asked "What does it taste like," there is a good possibility I would say "Banana bread." I'm not sure how much of a positive attribute that is to many people but it’s certainly worth something.

letsgopens, Oct 16, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -4%

I'm still kicking myself for ordering a glass of this at Max's the other day. Told myself I needed to be less stodgy, don't always have to order IPA's and Belgiums. Sigh...

The beer pours a light amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, well, the beer smells like banana bread. A rather sweet and malty banana bread if truth be known. However, as soon as I tasted this beer I knew I'd been had. The banana aroma is a complete gimmick, and the beer itself is very light, thin, watery and simple. Finish is practically non-existent. I could tell the abv. was pretty low, but even so I would not describe this beer as very drinkable.

This beer isn't poison, but it's nothing special either. Very unimpressive.

John_M, Oct 15, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear amber colored beer that is bordering on gold in color. Decent white head but nothing special.

Well this certainly is loaded with fruity esters! Sweet with a circus peanut candy aroma and a little bit of bread. Spice is there but not real distinct but nuts are fairly strong. The usual fruity British ale aromas are also present.

The taste begins sweet and nutty with a pretty strong banana and nuts flavor. Kind of tastes like banana bread but a little too much esters in this, they should have used a more neutral yeast strain. Finishes a little dry and woody.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Well this is a try one time kind of beer. Too many esters here, should have based this off a Bock or wheat beer.

Zorro, Oct 15, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1 pint, 3.25oz bottle, different label than pictured but same beer.

A: pale copper with minimal head and light carbonation

S: bananas right out of the gate, hint of clove, chewing gum. The aroma is sweet. Bananas dominate. Wonderful aroma.

T:pretty much the same as smell with some malt thrown in. Also has a slight metallic taste which I found in another Wells offering.

M: slightly syrupy but still fairly light bodied and light carbonation

D: Given the name I had high hopes for an interesting beer And despite the breakfast sounding name, I found this beer isn't much for any time of day.

Rainintheface, Oct 02, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

The beer pours a very clear amber color with a nice off white head, good lacing and retention. Yes, the smell is about bananas, but what do you expect. The taste is a bit more bitter and maltier than I envisioned. The bananas are pronounced and it does have a bready or earthy tone to it, but I wasn't expecting this level of bitterness. As the beer warms, it mellows a bit, is less bitter, and more warming banana notes come through. Overall, the beer isn't bad, worth trying, and enjoyable, but it isn't the kind of beer you'll be drinking lots of. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy, the aftertaste slightly tart, and as one reviewer mentioned, it does have some characteristics of what you would find in a pumpkin ale in terms of the bitterness/spiciness in the middle.

albern, Sep 30, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

1 pint 3.25 oz bottle. The brew pours a nice golden to copper color with a finger of very dense head over top. Clarity is very good and there is a very steady curtain of bubbles visible. The aroma is nice sweet banana, with caramel blended in there along with a doughy malt base. I have to say that this one smells like what it says it is. Taking a sip, I get a more earthy banana, kinda like a bruised banana, flavor with a more substantial dough and breadyness to the malt. What surprises me most is the strength of the hop in both flavor and bitterness. It is nice and herbal and very pleasant in the bitterness, but it just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the brew. Mouthfeel is a very healthy moderate with a light carbonation of fine bubbles. It almost as a bot of a creamy texture as well. Overall, I have to give them credit for making this one truly a banana bread beer. I think the hop profile doesn't fit the rest of the beer, but it is still enjoyable. I think the banana is balanced and not over-done in the brew.

kmpitz2, Sep 25, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

I poured this interesting beer into a tubler at 50 degrees. It was a nice amberish color and kinda looked pinky also, maybe it was the light it was night. It had a nice fine bubbly head and really smelled like bananas. It also really tasted like bananas. I thought it was interesting and really not bad. I most likely will not buy it again but I think you should try it. It is interesting.

Minkybut, Sep 21, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pt., 3.25 oz. bottle:

Pours orangeish golden with a fluffy white head. Some trailing lace slides down the glass.

The smell is of banana and raw sugar. (Not much of the bread aspect in the aroma, though there is some in the back.)

The taste is of banana - lightly sugar-coated. Bready undertones. The banana is not overwhelming as a whole, but it does dominate over the bread. Nutty tones mesh with the breadiness more than the banana does. Rather than a banana bread, as I expected, it seems to me to be more of banana candy with nutbread. Some metallic tinges are noticeable, but border negligible. Banana hangs on well into the aftertaste.

The body is on the lighter side of medium. It has enough creaminess to make it smooth.

This is interesting enough to try once. I can't say it misses the mark completely, though I do with that the banana and bread came together more completely while retaining some of the nutty quality to give it some depth. Anyway, the flavors alone are all there, and not bad at all. It's easy to drink, but it would take a true banana lover to reach for more than one. "Gimmicky" kept running through my mind, but better than many other "gimmicky" beers - fruity or not - that are out there.

jwc215, Sep 13, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -39%

This beer is a light clear beer with a creamy tan head. When you open the bottle the smell of banana candy hits you. My wife reminded me of those large peanut shaped banana flavored soft candies we had as kids. Not a pleasant odor in a beer in my opinion. I don't taste much of a bread taste. I found the smell to be overpowering. The finish is more of the same, artificial banana. The liquor store in NJ where I bought it was Bourbon Street in Greenwich. The manager, noticing I was buying 2 cases of micros recommended it and assured me it was not too overpowering. I won't be taking his advice again. I just could not get past the artificial banana taste, it was all I could taste, before during and after. I rinsed my glass before going back to drinking real beer but the banana taste just lingered.

johnrf, Sep 13, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Found this one at the Wine Hut just north of Frenchtown, NJ. I was unfamiliar with banana beer, and Well's brewery for that matter, so I had to try it.

It pours a nice dark amber color with minimal head and light lacing. There is (surprise, surprise) a hint of banana in the aroma. I was expecting it to have an overpowering banana flavor, but instead it was very subtle. At first I was kinda let down. In the same manner that a framboise is liquid raspberry, i wanted this to be liquid banana. Halfway through, however, I began to appreciate the subtle hints of banana and nutmeg. The finish is very bready/yeasty and kinda sweet. I imagine that it would have been amazing with Bananas Foster or some type of similar dessert.

ChuckMartel37, Sep 05, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -31.8%

Saw this one in Rehoboth Beach; the label and name immediately stood out to me and I just had to grab it. Nice large 19oz bottle. It smells candy-ish...I wouldn't really say artificial, but the scent reminds me of banana flavored candy, like a now & later. The taste is kind of odd, and maybe a little disappointing. Hearing the name, you would think "hefeweizen" but its really not. The banana flavor isn't really all that pronounced (nothing like say, a Weinstephaner), and it quickly vanishes to reveal a bland, almost flat lager flavor underneath. Finishes watery and forgettable, and not that clean. On a positive note, this brewery uses its own well water for brewing, and fair-trade bananas are used in the brewing process.

chOAKbarrell, Sep 04, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Figuring I make banana bread frequently, this beer caught my eye when I saw it on the shelf.

Appearance: clear orange in color with short white 1" head that disappears pretty quickly. No lacing develops.

Smell: yup, smells like banana bread with some caramel candy sweetness. Nice aroma for a beer.

Taste: banana flavors are a bit mellow here, as the malt takes on a bready tone. Can be descibed as a bit sweet and bread-like. Almost no bitterness detected here. Very different beer here.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Smooth from start to finish. Brief banana and bready malt aftertaste.

Drinkability: this beer actually went well with a fresh loaf of banana bread I made. But as a stand alone beer, it is interesting and different, but not one you would drink regularly. Nice novelty beer in my opinion.

Gavage, Aug 31, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

good looking coppery amber with a thin white head.
smells like... banana bread. i pick up a little little bit of a malt profile that includes some caramel, but mostly just banana bread.
the taste contains, remarkably enough, banana bread. i pick up touches of spice and banana, along with a molasses-y brown sugar. a little bit of honey. tastes like cake. surprising amount of bitterness at the finish, though far from overpowering, but enough for balance.
the body is a little watery with moderate carbonation.
good drinkability as it's actually pretty refreshing. a novelty beer to be sure, but it's honestly not bad, and i might even be inclined to pick up another bottle if i ever saw it again. i think this would be great to have on a fall evening, as it sort seems to be in the same vein as pumpkin ales to me.

kmo1030, Aug 29, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

I wasn't expecting to much from this but it surprised me. The flavours and smells were in line with banana bread, but not under or over done, that being said this is a once-in-a-while beer. The lacing and head are better than average and the overall flavour is fairly balanced.
In the end, a good brew that is just above the novelty ring!

Onslow, Aug 22, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

thanks to imstillthegman for this beer, via Scrabble Bif

A - this fruit beer pours a delightful golden brown, it wells up a thin tan head that dissipates rapidly to a rimming lace, looks a bit fizzy without being frothy

S - well, unsurprisingly, it smells like banana bread, but not overly spiced and/or fruited like many fruit beers, overall it is a hoppy beer with a decent background malt profile, with an additional alcohol twang

T - the hop/malt balance is quite good, with the banana breadiness quite subtle, yet poignant, a well balanced overall soft flavor, quite nice

M&D - one of the better fruit beers i have ever had, not overpowering, not underflavored, a great beer, if you can get this, definitely try it

sinstaineddemon, Aug 20, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Beer pours an orange copper color with a tan 1 finger head. Lacing remains throughout the brew. Resembles a fine amber ale.

Smell is very much like that of banana bread with a little bit of hoppiness to remind you its still a beer. Banana is fresh and not syrupy smelling which is very much appreciated. Bread like malts which hold up to the name banana bread since they are really bready like an English ale. After reading the label we find out about the crystal malts, a staple of English ales.

The English Golding hops really compliment the banana very well as they are both generally sweet, but that fibrous sweet; banana and Golding hops both have a bland, earthy sweetness prefered by many who otherwise don't care for sweet things. Bananas and malts also go together well.

Mouthfeel is somewhat disappointing. The picture on the bottle shows a dark beer with a large creamy head. This brew is short of an amber ale in color and thin as a lager. For once might recommend nitrous oxide for this brew since its more of a dessert beer. If we're talking about banana bread here, then it should be thicker, like bread.

If I found this in a pub I could drink it all night. Its a sweet beer that's not overly sweet. I'm not really for or against fruit beers, I just appreciate when they are done well, and this one tastes like really bananas not natural/artificial banana flavoring. Not bad at all.

tapman, Aug 18, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. The beer poured a deep amber forming a 1 inch head. The aroma is of very strong banana bread. Nothing else is detectible. The taste is not as strong as the aroma. Banana bread flavor along with light spices. Not overpowering, but noticeable. Smooth light finish. Very drinkable. Overall, I was impressed by this beer. It tastes just what it says it is. No suprises there. Good flavor and average abv. make this brew a sessionable ale. I would definitely drink this again.

beeragent, Aug 16, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

BBD of 11/30/07

Pours an effervescent bronze with 2 fingers of white head. Zero lacing or head retention

S: Bananas of course & yeasty esters

T: Banana & some herbal hops up front. Dryness, lemony hops, & a little iron as this warms. I also detect a faint hint of sulphur also. Finishes with some grainynesss, bananas, dates, dryness & a touch of salt

MF: Thinnish with low carbonation

Drank average, nothing special here. Banana freaks may like this, was looking for a lot more breadyness to go with it. Makes me wish for some Bombardier on cask

russpowell, Aug 14, 2007