Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

good

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
3.08/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep copper with a one finger head that laced very well. Reeks of candy bananas, but I guess that was to be expected. There do seem to be some hop aroma and a touch of malt at the back but it's all about the bananas. A little awkward on the palate. Starts off sweet and bananary but has some malt beer body bringing up the rear throwing it off. Then those banana lolly notes hang around for a while. Probably would've been better as a sweet banana beer, light in body in the vein of some fruit lambics. Not horrible but once is more than enough for me. Kind of tastes like "what was the point?"

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Copper coloured brew with a moderate head. Ripe banana dominates the nose with just a hint of yeast. Makes me think of dried banana slices in particular.

The banana really dominates this beer. It has rather a dairy flavour to it, reminding me of Angel Delight. There is a slight bitterness to the finish but that isn't uncommon with banana generally. I'm very picky about bananas yet find this surprisingly decent.

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

A - This beer poured a light brown color that produced a white foamy head that had decent retention and left no lacing

S - The aromas that were produced by this beer were overwhelmingly bananas

T - The taste of this beer can be summed up in two words: banana runt. A little bit of breadiness and malts, but not much

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body and a moderate amount of carbonation

D - Again a very underwhelming fruit beer, I wish brewers would incorporate fruit into the beer better, instead being a fruit centered "beer"

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

appearance: pale brownish

smell: just liek it says, nice

taste: it really taste like bana bread, well done on that aspect

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: overall it is what it is, but its not good. Plenty of other better fruity options for beer out there.

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Pale brown with orange hues. A small white head that settles just a little too fast.

S: Plenty of banana, but the flavor is not as artificial and candy-like that I had suspected. They are actually quite restrained and they have at least some resemblance of real bananas. Still, it's a rather sweet smell and there are some notes of soft banana candy. Some fudge, white bread and a hint of grassy hops. All in all, it's a rather weak and quite pointless smell, and the flavors don't mix that well.

T: Again, mostly bananas. But the flavors are not very strong. The banana flavors are mostly of real bananas, but some notes of soft banana candy are here as well. However, despite the somewhat genuine character of the banana flavors, they are still not very tasty. In general, the taste is rather sweet. Fairly decent bready notes, fragile and anonymous hints of earth, carrots and hops. In the finish there is a mild bitterness that makes the taste just a little more interesting, but it's still rather boring. Some mineral notes and banana cream towards the finish.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, noting more.

D: This is not a good beer, but still not as horrible as I had suspected. Don't know if a banana infused English ale is a good idea what so ever, so I think this one was doomed to fail no matter what it tasted like. Can't say I would recommend it.

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Large white head, some lacing. Dark amber color, some carbonation visible. Smells, no surprise, like bananas, but I also get malts and a bit of cloves. Good so far, nothing super-great and limited depth.

The taste is kind of a let down--the banana is there again, but it seems forced, and I get a kind of metallic aftertaste on the back end along with the hops, though there's not much of em. The carbonation is heavy, and the mouthfeel is otherwise watery. The taste/smell mismatch really hurts this beer, but it was cool buying it for the gimmick.

The brewery's got better offerings than this. My inner child caused me to reach for it on a whim, but I don't think I'd buy it again except a single bottle for a tasting meant to show people the interesting things you can do with beer. Taking out the "metal" taste would help, but there needs to be a better layering of flavors here.

2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured out of a 50cl bottle into a pint glass.

A-thin, off white head. very clear, amber body.

S-bananas, somewhat of a faint metallic smell.

T-almost all banana. liquid banana. no hops.

M-medium, suprinsingly dry on the palate.

D-very strong on the fruit end, but not the bread end. I would like to have had a bit more balance.

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from 50 cl. bottle into a standard becker.

A: Solid dark amber color. Light carbonation, pours into 3 finger, frothy, white head. "Crumbles" slowly leaving a little sticky lacing as it does. Eventually settles to a conventional layer of bubbly foam. Nice thick sticky lacing remains.

S: A light malt aroma, a little hops, and prominent banana.

T: Has a nice hoppy flavor with just a bit of malty goodness. Banana flavor stands out, but is not overpowering. Actually, quite subtle.

M: Light body. Watery feel. . . I think it's the banana infusion causing a funky, steely feeling in the mouth.

D: Pretty solid. Subtle flavor, light body and feel.

Solid atmosphere. Really nice appearance, and nose is definitely banana, but not overwhelming as to drown out what's left. Subtle, balanced flavor. . . again, not all banana. Good feel. Although not something, I'd want to drink everyday; overall, pretty solid quaff.

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked up a bottle for the wife, decided to do a joint tasting...

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color, little bit of head that fades quickly leaving behind some lacing.

Smell: Smell reminds me of homemade banana bread. Sweet, biscuity, bready, bananas.

Taste: While the smell is very good, taste is somewhat artificial. Picking up sweet bananas, but it tastes almost like an additive rather than an ingredient.

Mouthfeel: Cool, crisp, easy drinking. Carbonation leaves a slight tingle on the tongue.

Drinkability: I'm hoping my wife likes this more than me. Reminds me of banana bread, but in an artificial sense. Decent drinkability, not bad for a desert beer or possibly a pairing with actual banana bread. Probably won't reach for one to relax with on a warm summer night, however.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Im sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. the beer pours a super clear amber with garnet highlights when held to the light. A frothy eggshell white head foams up about 1 cm and fades to a wispy surface layer, leaving a few major foam islands.
Aroma is...surprise!! bananas! Some grainy malt scents maybe nutty notes too, but overall ripe banana is fairly dominant. It really could be a banana nut muffin if my eyes were closed. Doesnt smell artificial either.
First sip reveals an average body and fine spacious carbonation. Fairly easy to drink beer.
The flavor is caramel and a little grainy and generally sweet. Again bananas but not overpowering at all, still dominant, but allowing other flavors to come through. I even get a little spicy hops that dry out my palate a bit on the finish, but a lingering banana flavor comes back on the burps.
the beer is interesting and actually more drinkable than I expected it to be. I enjoy this but probably wouldnt drink more than one at a time. Worth the experience IMO. Give it a shot.

2.93/5  rDev -16%

Pours a clear amber color with a quickly diminishing fizzy white head, a little bit of lacing. Aroma is sweet, ripe bananas (obviously but not overpowering), bread malts, with a twinge of bitterness providing a decent balance. Flavor is very similar, bananas, maybe a touch of caramel malt and a slight hop bite at the end. Mouthfeel is dry, carbonated, light, and the astringency sticks around for a while. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but a decent and drinkable beer. Fairly well balanced considering the use of banana.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice amber color with a vague ruby hue. Not a whole lot of head.

At first all I smelt was grain and hop, but then on the third whiff the banana kicked in and now that's all I smell. I like bananas, so no harm there.

It's interesting. I wasn't sure how well the banana flavor would blend with the beer, and it's not bad at all. The banana is pretty much overwhelming, but the hops and grainy malts are also very much present.

Don't know if I'd drink it again.. . I might, but I doubt it. Intersting taste, not at all bad, but not something I'd seek out and drink regularly (or even occassionally). I just prefer other styles, no fault of the brew.

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

ruby colored. white head, with little retention, and little lacing. smell is all banana bread. it's like having a piece of it tucked into the glass. some maltiness tucked in there with the banana aroma. taste is more banana, but not balanced. taste is a real downer from the smell. too many things going on, too many flavors. kind of tannic like throughout. finish is quite dry. this beer would be better suited to cooking than drinking.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Ap. Beautiful amber beer with a little, quickly disappearing head.
Sm. It's bananas...duh.
Ta. It really does taste like banana bread...in a good way. I love banana bread. The flavor is very clean, not to sweet or sticky or icky.
Mf. Good. not much carbonation, but finishes nicely.
Dr. Certainly. Now if there was only a way to get some walnuts in there...

I like beer and I like banana bread. So I figured this beer would be a home run. However I bought this with some trepidation because fruit beers can get too overpowered by the fruit. Poured into a pint glass and as the head struggled to form on top so did my expectations. The aroma was just what it should be...Bananas. Not much hops or malt aromas if any. Surprisingly the taste was good. No lacing from the lackluster head but bananas was obvious. Overall I enjoyed this beer, it wasn't a home home run, maybe a stand up triple.

4.93/5  rDev +41.3%

poured from a bottle into a weizen glass

i had very low expectations for this beer but i was plesantly surprised. i have tried other "fruit" beers before and this one is in a league of its own. as the name states... this beer does not just smell like banana, but it smells EXACTLY like banana BREAD. the banana taste was not overpowering. beautiful color and good appearance (head disapated quickly). i could drink a bunch of these and i will definatly buy this beer again!!!

3.35/5  rDev -4%

Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Clear, orange-brown color with a small, fizzy white head.

S: Very strong, sweet banana aromas... and not a whole lot else. It's almost like I'm inhaling a banana popsicle.

T: Again, strong banana character in the taste. Actually, if not for a few flashes of maltiness in some of my burps, I might have mistaken this for a banana-flavored malt beverage. Becomes slightly more balanced as it warms.

M: Fairly light feel, which surprised me a bit, based on how it was pitched on the label. Part of this comes from its high carbonation level. Finishes fairly clean.

D: If you like the taste, this is easy drinking. Goes down nice and smooth.

This was a beer that upon my first sighting it in my local beer joint, I promptly scratched my head and said "What the...?" It was quite an interesting concept and a pleasure to try. My two main gripes: 1.) A heavier mouthfeel seemed more appropriate to me. 2.) TOO MUCH banana. It has a good base, but some more balance would have been nice. Still, the novelty alone makes this worth trying.

1.83/5  rDev -47.6%

Ok, I have to admit: My expectations are very low on this one.

It pours an amber liquid with an almost white head. The head is initially two fingers high, but it quickly collapses into a thin ring.

The smell is defiantly banana. Synthetic banana. There is also some smell of malt, well hidden behind the banana.

The taste is that of... banana. It overwhelms everything else. I guess there is some malt in the background, but it's hard to recognise. The aftertaste is also disturbing. I guess the hops are supposed to balance the sweetness of the banana, but instead it makes it even worse. The bitterness of the hops turns the banana flavour into that of green - unripe - bananas. Not good at all.

Drinkable? I didn't even manage to drink half of the bottle.

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Copper color with a thin head that holds out for a couple minutes before thinning to a crown.

Aroma leans toward artificial, in terms of its banana-ness, and the abundant breadiness I'd hoped for isn't there. Maybe in the flavor...

Aah, yes, the flavor is more like it, just perhaps not the dream-beer I'd hoped for (banana bread beer is such an awesome concept). Equal parts bready malt, like a sweeter dough base as you'd use in, yep, banana bread, and of course, banana. Appropriately nutty, even some melted butter and bubblegum. Hop presence is very laid back. Banana dominates finish.

Smooth and slick texture, fairly dry and having plenty of carbonation--though thankfully the bubbles aren't overbearing.

Not entirely novelty, but not a beer you'd designate as an every day go-to beer either. I'd wanted to try this for some time, as the idea seemed too good to be true. While this is no grand slam, it does well enough--but I'll bet Dogfish Head could really do something amazing with this concept. I thank BDLBrewster for the opportunity to try a bottle. Cheers, Matt!

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown glass bottle into a pint glass... pours a clear golden color with a white head. Lots of carbonation. There's a nice smell dominated by banana. The taste is plenty of banana, but not much else... a slight bitter aftertaste. I like the idea of a banana infused beer, but this one just doesn't really live up to potential.

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Cool shaped bottle, brought back from Dallas.
1 pt 0.9 US fl. oz, brown bottle. Slightly different label, but still has the gold foil beer filled pint glass emerging from a banana peel. Best by date marked on the back, "Independant Family Brewer" plus hops and grain stalks embossed on the bottle shoulder.
"Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fairtrade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously, fruity, rich, yet suprisingly versatile banana bread beer."
This beer pours a light orange with an ivory colored head. Foam shrinks down to a thick film, good retention. Smell is amazingly like banana bread. The banana smells realistic, not overly sweet fake flavoring. Also some toasted bready malt. Taste has lots of banana as well. Again, naturally tasting. There is some solid caramel malt that keeps it from getting to sweet. A bit of spice finish, cinnamon maybe. No real hop bitterness, but don't miss it anyways. I would say medium-body, good mouthfeel. Drinkability? Original and unique for sure, exactly as advertised. Definately worth a try, but wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time.

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Fair amount of head and moderate carbonation.
Amber color.

S - Banana Bread mingled with moderate spice and hops. I cannot detect anything else.

T - Interesting- in a good way. Although this isn't a wheat beer, the taste resembles the typical banana flavored wheat beer (Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse or Weihenstephaner hefe.) The banana taste is much more prevalent though. Very pleasant, but slightly bitter.

M - Dry, clean, and light.

D - This is an extremely drinkable beer for what its worth. However, my loyalties lie in stouts; therefore, I wouldn't choose this beer over them.

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pop the top and initially smells of bitter malts. Pour it into a glass and the incredibly sweet smells of ripe bananas are released.

Thick, creamy head over a dark amber brew. No lacing.

I was a bit concerned about the taste as I read the ingredients, especially these: sugar, maize, bananas, banana flavour. It's the "banana flavour" that particular caught my attention. I love bananas. I hate artificial banana flavor. This has a bit of both, but the artificial flavor is definitely present.

Moderately carbonated on the mouthfeel.

Below average drinkability for my tastes. Somewhat high ABV of 5.2 + artificial tastes = what's the point?

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

S: Just peeled, ripe bananas! There is a decent amount of malt with a slight backbone of spices

T: A bit like seltzer water up front - probably from the mineral water source. Then a mild, banana-y sweetness seeps in providing tangible flavor, but also leaving way for a nutty malt to round out the flavor profile. The banana is dominant, but doesn't overpower everything else, which I appreciate. Strangely sharp carbonation.

Well, I'll be! I'm really quite surprised how spot on this beverage nailed the experience of biting into banana nut bread. Except it's not overflowing with flavor and strangely dry - which counters the desired moistness you'd want from the bread.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Wells Banana Bread Beer pours a thick amber colour along with a short crown below a third of an inch, the crown in question disappears quickly and leaves a circle of lacing along the glass, while legions of small bubbles ascend to the surface like The Horned One and his rebel angels reclaiming their lost domain.

Smell: Oh would you guess it - bananas! The fairtraide-bull aside, they come forth in a synthetic way, i.e NOT PLEASING. Additionally, acrid 'n' acidic tones hide there in between the shadows of the palm trees.

Taste: Aforementioned fruit (or is it berry, or herb now again?) comes forward like a blooming of a exotic vegetable of not noteworthy character. Sure you can feel the taste of banananananana, but it ain't merely enough, gladly we get a pretty decent maltiness which saves the day by adding a sense of variation amidst of all this monotonous flavour sensation.

Mouthfeel: Watery as funk, medium-to-low in carbonation, other than that fairly smooth.

Drinkability: Even though I thoroughly detest bananas and their wimp flavours in their original form, I decided to put that aside and review this one from a neutral stand point, thus the disappointment lies not in the choice of flavouring, but in the fact that it is all too weak and bland.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd