1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Ratings: 2009

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,009 | Reviews: 780 | Show All Ratings:
JamesBeerFiend

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has to be one of my favorite beers, I love bananas so this might be why but it has the perfect color like a orangish darkish copper, and I cant get enough of the taste, this is a beer I will keep around for a while. It smells very fresh and has low carbonation. this one scores to be in my top 5 favorite beers.

08-29-2013 05:04:07 | More by JamesBeerFiend
Higgy

1.8/5  rDev -48.3%

I was sooo disappointed. I was sure that I would love this beer but I did not. It has a beautiful color, light copper, and a very small head that dissipates very fast. It smells lovely. But that is it. It's like water. For me, honestly, it is a drain pour and a waste of money. I wouldn't drink it if it were free. I even let it warm up a bit.

I'm not a beer snob at all but I just say No to this beer.

08-27-2013 06:05:22 | More by Higgy
PBelt71

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer of all time, but I don't drink it as often as I would like, so when I do, it is a real treat. The appearance, smell and taste are incredible. It is a perfect blend of beer, banana and spices, and has perfect carbonation. Highly recommended! Give it a try.

08-16-2013 22:33:52 | More by PBelt71
2013beer101

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

I have had this a few times and it seem its to go down hill the more I have it. With that said it was fantastic the first four pack I had. I will continue to buy it when I am in the mood for it but will not buy any to have on hand. Overall it is worth a try.

08-13-2013 00:21:07 | More by 2013beer101
slitherySOB

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like bananas. I like banana bread. I love beer. Will they fuck this up? Surprisingly, no. This beer pours a copper colour with a thick, one and a half finger head that lasts. Smells of banana pudding, vanilla, bready malts, and just a faint hint of pine. Taste starts out like banana bread. Big banana flavours with some malt backbone. Middle has a vanilla and pine flavour added in. Finishes like banana taffy. Mouthfeel is smooth, drinkable and dry. Overall, a beer I wouldn't mind having again.

08-12-2013 22:08:58 | More by slitherySOB
Weston19

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Dark copper with low carbonation. Keeps about a 1/3 pinky sized head throughout the whole time. The beer is clear.

S: Banana purée, little bit grainy, and as it warms up there is a note of caramel

T: Banana, malt, bready, light hops, a little piney, and some vanilla as it warms up.

M: slightly dry finish, smooth, light alcohol flavor.

O: I thought this was a decent beer. If you drink it cold it might not have much to offer but the moment it starts warming up you can definitely get more flavors from the beer. I would have it again.

08-10-2013 22:43:12 | More by Weston19
jeranbrews

Oklahoma

2.51/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

A - beige thick head that is thick like a layer of pudding skin. Color is cedar orange.

S - smells like fake banana laffy taffy ( negative) and banana puddy budding (positive). Only the faintest hop and aluminum smells pop out after warming.

T - initial taste is so fleeting but slightly sweet. Flavors are non existent like water. Only a slight hop aftertaste remains to remind you that you drank a beer at all.

M - so watery. Water with a tiny bit of pudding skin.

D - a beer that would be better as a liquor.

08-09-2013 04:11:00 | More by jeranbrews
machalel

Australia

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Perfectly clear burnt toffee, with a medium white head. The head disappears almost straight away, and leaves next to no lacing down the glass.

Aroma: Strong bananas (obviously), but also toffee, treacle, brown sugar, and grape juice (?). I didn't pick up much "breadiness", however.

Taste: Much more bread and biscuit flavours are present in the taste than the aroma, with the bananas taking second place. Some caramel is present, and the same surprising grape juice (?) apparent in the aftertaste. Not overly fruity, it has some mineral tastes and a stronger than expected bitterness, which detracts from enjoying it. I actually thought that it needed to be a little sweeter.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low body with medium carbonation. A little bit thin, it hides its ABV quite well, and would be very quaffable if the bitterness was toned down slightly.

Overall: This is a fairly straightforward beer. It is very definitely "banana bread" based, but fortunately, it never strays close to being gimmicky, and holds up as a reasonable beer on its own. Now if only they released a Banana Bread Stout...!

08-05-2013 03:32:17 | More by machalel
vkv822

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16.9oz : tulip
best by: 02/01/14

Clear, coppery orange with a thin, filmy white head.

Solid, malty bread notes, with a definite sweet, banana presence as well.

The banana is still easily distinguishable in the taste, but does blend more with the malts.

Medium body, with foamy, fizzy carbonation.

A unique beer that certainly follows through on the promise it's name makes. I went into it with fairly low expectations, but the banana blends well with the malts and is not overwhelming.

08-04-2013 07:44:30 | More by vkv822
RicardoTexas

3.34/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

You can definitely smell banana bread! Really interesting and everybody at our table had to try it! It has really good color the taste is more on the sweeter side. One negative for me is that this beer felt "thin"... I guess since I like stouts I prefer full bodied beers.

08-01-2013 18:54:32 | More by RicardoTexas
Dweaversauce

Delaware

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a rather clear medium dark amber color. One finger cream color head that fades rather quickly. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass. Nice clarity.

S: Mmmmm Grandma's banana bread right from the oven. Maybe a tad sweeter.

T: Maltiness comes through more strongly on the flavor, while the banana profile pops up on the midpalate and lingers moderately. A tinge of earthy hops appear on the finish. Very crisp.

M: The aftertaste is rather sweet, And it is softly carbonated. It does the job for what the beer is trying to accomplish, and that's it.

O: Not something I will rant and rave about, but definitely something I will gave again in the future.

07-27-2013 13:51:16 | More by Dweaversauce
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.36/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wells & Young's Ltd - Wells Banana Bread Beer, poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

I wanted to make a note that the ones I snagged were three months past the best by date, while that could have slightly impacted appearance I do not feel that it impacted anything else per se, but it is worth mentioning because certain flavors/aromas may be slightly different based on freshness.

Look - Pours amber with ruby and orange tinge and mostly clear with a thin foamy head that vanishes quickly. Chunks and rings of lacing on the glass.

Smell - Quite literally, banana bread and almost like a lager quality behind it, bready (get it?).

Taste - Lager and spice intro and then a sweet banana creme pie comes in after, ends creme for sure.

Mouthfeel - Sits slightly sweet but not cloying (to me anyway). Zero booziness and great drinkability, could drink this all day. Lager bready edge gives this a beer feel that helps it to not be overly fruity.

Overall - Amazing brew, I am a sucker for anything banana and this really did the trick. Would recommend to banana fans and those who have a sweet tooth, otherwise it might just join the ranks of fruit beers that most beer drinkers don't enjoy.

07-26-2013 12:07:40 | More by JMScowcroft
Brew_42

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

I had low expectations because I refused to believe that a beer could taste like banana bread and color me impressed because it really does.

A-Drank it out of a opaque bottle so I cant speak for its appearance.

Smell- Bananas or course!

Taste- It tastes like banana bread, seriously.

MF- Surprised to see the pictures of the beer being so light because I felt like I was drinking a much darker beer. Almost stout like creaminess.

Overall- If you like banana bread, bananas, or just sweet beer, give it a try. I am a big fan.

07-20-2013 07:38:04 | More by Brew_42
json83

4.34/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

156 calories per bottle 5.2% ABV. The first time I tasted this I was a bit tipsy but really surprised how well this tasted like banana bread. I wasn't able to sense any bitterness or bad aftertaste. With a fruit flavored beer it likely either has a bad aftertaste or such a strong flavor that you'd only be able to handle one without throwing-up - this one would be able to be consumed in a 6-pack. The taste was not excessively strong and neither unsatisfying to the way it settles in the stomach. I did like this and would like to try again as one of my first beers to be able to truly sense any subtle hints of dissatisfaction. I liked and would buy again, a good choice for the fruit flavored style. The appetence could improve but that is not as big a deal as the taste.

07-20-2013 03:06:01 | More by json83
funkengruven

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was an interesting find, Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch of head that quickly dissipates. Smell is exactly what they were going for, banana bread. smells just like a home made banana bread, or like a banana muffin one would have for breakfast, Really nice. Taste is pretty good too. Aroma is of bananas, a slight hop bitterness and a nice spicy malt. Mouthfeel is not quite as full as I would have expected, as I expected something a little sweeter and more pronounced, however this does quite well as it still carries the flavor of beer while bringing forward the banana aromas.

Overall, A pleasant surprise. Worth a try.

07-18-2013 22:04:20 | More by funkengruven
beerdrifter

Germany

3.86/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear yellow-amber pour with a two finger off-white head with decent retention and nice lacing. The smell is exactly what one would expect...banana bread. I was expecting just bananas, but they nailed the bread part as well. The taste follows suit with a really nice, surprising spot-on banana bread flavor. Not artificial at all, and the spiciness of the hops adds a nice twist. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice balance and none of the artificial aftertaste I had expected. And it's not sweet and syrupy, but very sessionable. Overall, this was very surprising. Yeah, it's kind of a novelty, but it's a well made beer and I'm glad I tried it.

07-04-2013 14:00:55 | More by beerdrifter
TheHammer

3.64/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber color with golden notes, the body shows steady carbonation. A single finger of head was produced that retained well but did not lace.

Smell: As advertised, it smells like banana bread. A strong banana nose with a background of walnuts, and mild spices. Doesn't seem very sweet though. Warming helps bring it out slightly.

Taste: Once again, as advertised. It starts with some rather mild malt and then turns into a banana and spiced taste with a touch of bitter hops. It's banana bread beer, there's not a lot more to say, although when I think of Banana bread I think desert, and I wish this one had some more sweeter elements.

Mouthfeel: The aftertaste is pretty mild, despite the spicy notes. It honestly comes across as a bit too smooth. The carbonation is well done and helps out the entire beer.

Drinkability: On the lighter end of medium bodied, but it's a strange beast. I mean, I'd want it as a desert beer, but it's not sweet enough and it is far too weird to be something I'd drink consistently. Settles down well enough and if you weren't getting tired of me saying it, as advertised. How often would you drink banana bread beer?

Final Thoughts: It's a good beer and an interesting experience, but I wouldn't say this is something you'd drink regularly. I actually had it for breakfast one day. Anyways, like a broken record, it's as advertised. If beer is liquid bread, you are going to get mild liquid banana bread.

07-04-2013 04:18:59 | More by TheHammer
jjamadorphd

3.86/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Banana bread and beer - holy mackerel, what could be better? Well, it wasn't stupendous but it was sure good. From the bottle the beer is an appealing dark amber, pouring a weak head but with good lacing. The smell is distinctly banana - I don't smell much of bread, but definitely banana - which is a pet peeve of mine. If you advertise it one way, it better be that way, oh well that's advertisement for you. The beer however was bold and refreshing, a little too much carbonation for my taste, but still good. I really did enjoy it, a great mixture of malt and banana that mixed perfectly. Overall, it wasn't banana bread, but it was a good banana flavored beer that I think many will like.

07-03-2013 21:08:26 | More by jjamadorphd
pjkelley82

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color to beer.. about a half inch of off white/antique white head. Good bubbles but head did not stick around long. By the way... I smell the banns already. Very nice lacing.

Smell was what the bottle says. Banana.. a little spice and hops somewhere but overall is banana..

The first thing I noticed in the taste was the overall beer and malt taste. The banana came immediately following it but crept up. Nice hoppy/spice taste towards the end but the banana is all there but more or less gets stronger... than weaker in the taste. Beautifully balanced. The banana is not an artificial banana taste... but not a smoothie/100%banana from the farm taste either. It's sorta on it's own but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and medium to full bodied.. good amount of malt. nice crisp finish with a smooth pleasant banana malt aftertaste. It says on the label that ale's used to be called bread beers because they were considered meals in a bottle. Well that's how this beer felt.

Overall I would say this is an excellent beer. Fans of banana flavor should definitely seek this out. I do recommend this beer to people and is the perfect beer to sit around with and you could drink it for hours.

06-19-2013 21:34:33 | More by pjkelley82
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a clear amber with light bubbles a thin, loose, off-white head that settles quickly without lacing. The nose has subtle, but detectable notes of ripe banana/bread, seemingly non-artificial smelling, and a touch of yeast and vanilla extract. The banana in the nose doesn't fully translate into the beer's flavor profile, which is more of a bitter amber ale than anything, but does leave traces of lingering green banana in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is relatively thin and light-bodied, sessionable, effervescent, slightly bitter, and leaves a bitter-sweet banana aftertaste. I'd say this is definitely not what I'd expected and could use a bit more body, yeast, and sweetness to really amplify what is a spot on, non-artificial banana nose and taste.

06-16-2013 03:28:21 | More by ThePorterSorter
IchLiebeBier

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pale bronze body with a medium head; didn't last long

Aroma: Malty sweetness; banana notes

Taste: Creamy; banana flavors throughout; finishes dry and spicy

Remarks: Pretty good overall, but not something I'd drink a lot of.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 23:13:30 | More by IchLiebeBier
KrisDLSmith

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I had been looking forward to trying this one for some time. I really enjoy banana bread and was curious to see how close to that flavour could possibly be achieved in a beer! I purchased it off the shelf at LCBO at Eastgate Square in Hamilton, ON. I drank it at refrigerated temperature from my Spiegelau tulip. I smelled a hint of banana, but mostly skunk. I tasted nothing that led me to believe that anything close to a banana had ever been near this brew. I got skunk and a whole lot of it. I did get a semi-pleasant malt flavour, bit it was far too covered up by the skunk. Passed it to my fiance, who said although she didn't care for it, she could really taste the banana. Not sure what happened here, perhaps I got a bad bottle, or perhaps my palate was not up to snuff that night. I'd be willing to explore this one again just to see if there's a difference. As it was though, yowza. Not a good yowza, either.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I hate the idea of pouring a beer down the drain. I just don't see the point in being wasteful. I gave this one a solid go, and drank about 80% but that last bit was my first drainpour. Ever.

06-09-2013 18:21:56 | More by KrisDLSmith
wac9

4.95/5  rDev +42.2%

its banana bred beer in a glass nothing more either you like it or hate i think its perfect taste just like a banana bread i giggle its so good if you like banna bread drink tis beer nothing more to say they capture wht they were going for nothing needs to be said enjoy the berr yes or no i love it so enjoy

06-09-2013 03:32:05 | More by wac9
sporr

3.55/5  rDev +2%

Take this beer for what it is. If your looking for something that tastes like beer then you should just walk on by this one. But if you appreciate how they came about to make a beer that actually tastes like banana bread then this is the one for you. It is unreal how they did this. Great job guys!

06-08-2013 01:07:47 | More by sporr
soju6

Missouri

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours a dark honey golden color with a small head that fades to bits of lacing.

S: Aroma of banana, tropical friut and spice.

T: Taste of banana . tropical fruit and bit of spice. Mild bitterness and a lingring fruity finish.

F: Moderate body, smooth and fruity sweet.

O: Decent beer but not one that I would seek out in the future.

05-31-2013 03:13:15 | More by soju6