Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
davednyc

4.88/5  rDev +40.2%

I don't really go in for fruit-flavored beers, but I had wanted to try this one for a while. Even if the label had merely said "Beer", without the eye-catching "Banana Bread" I would enjoy and recomend this one. The fruit flavors are far from overwhelming, to the point that if somebody were looking for a sweet beer they may be disappointed.

Pours from the bottle into a glass with a deep copper color, with little head. A distinct banana aroma, yet subtle enough that I may not be able to properly identify it if I didn't know what I was looking for. Bold flavor - once again the banana is there, but takes a supporting role.

A bit pricey in NYC at $5.99 for a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, but I will definitely return to this again and again, perhaps savoring it just for 'special' occsasions.

12-28-2010 18:55:24 | More by davednyc
csrbv

4.83/5  rDev +38.8%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it, Since I enjoy banana bread I think this beer is delicious. This beer delivers on the promise of its name!

11-09-2012 18:04:43 | More by csrbv
gbarbee

4.83/5  rDev +38.8%

Appearance: Light, blonde, and clear.
Smell: Clean, crisp with a hint of banana.
Taste: Light taste, easy on the palate. Slight hint of banana without the sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and light
Drinkability: Nice beer that has a hint of banana bread. Very easy to drink and goes down smooth.

09-19-2011 00:22:24 | More by gbarbee
PBelt71

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer of all time, but I don't drink it as often as I would like, so when I do, it is a real treat. The appearance, smell and taste are incredible. It is a perfect blend of beer, banana and spices, and has perfect carbonation. Highly recommended! Give it a try.

08-16-2013 22:33:52 | More by PBelt71
pjkelley82

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color to beer.. about a half inch of off white/antique white head. Good bubbles but head did not stick around long. By the way... I smell the banns already. Very nice lacing.

Smell was what the bottle says. Banana.. a little spice and hops somewhere but overall is banana..

The first thing I noticed in the taste was the overall beer and malt taste. The banana came immediately following it but crept up. Nice hoppy/spice taste towards the end but the banana is all there but more or less gets stronger... than weaker in the taste. Beautifully balanced. The banana is not an artificial banana taste... but not a smoothie/100%banana from the farm taste either. It's sorta on it's own but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and medium to full bodied.. good amount of malt. nice crisp finish with a smooth pleasant banana malt aftertaste. It says on the label that ale's used to be called bread beers because they were considered meals in a bottle. Well that's how this beer felt.

Overall I would say this is an excellent beer. Fans of banana flavor should definitely seek this out. I do recommend this beer to people and is the perfect beer to sit around with and you could drink it for hours.

06-19-2013 21:34:33 | More by pjkelley82

12-30-2013 19:06:30 | More by MrLacinak
Deanosaurus

Missouri

4.74/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at a bar called Myngle in Lee's Summit, MO. First thing I noted was that the bottle was large (1-pint) and nicely shaped. The extra beer gave me a real chance to experience the texture and taste individually. I like a beer I can chew, so this flavorful liquid is right up my alley.

- Appearance (4.5/5)
It had a nice copper tone to it that wasn't too vibrant. It looked warm, even in the blue lighting under the bar adjacent to our table.

- Smell (4.75/5)
Bananas. Literally. You may as well have opened a banana right in front of my face and torn it to shreds. And it was a real aroma too, not a fabricated scent like they put in candy. Which leads into...

- Taste (4.75/5)
The taste was the most accurate to the smell I have ever experienced. You know how when you smell coffee it smells robust and amazing, and then a majority of them taste bitter or sour? Sometimes beer can be like that too. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE that. It's the reason I am such a huge fan of IPAs) But this beer was the exact opposite. It hits initially with the alcohol and taste that a fermented liquid should carry then quickly melts back into a savor banana (and bread) flavor.

- Mouthfeel (4.75/5)
The most interesting thing I have to say about this beer is the mouth feel. As previously stated, I like a beer I can chew. When you consider bread you typically think of a chewy soft substance and this beer had it. It is key to not that the beer is called "Wells Banana BREAD Beer", not "Wells Banana Beer". I worried when I ordered it that it would be all banana and no bread. This was not the case. The yeast they chose for fermenting naturally fills in that flavor for you and they did a great job and balancing the warming sensation of bread with the banana flavoring to make an equal and robust experience.

- Overall (4.75/5)
Great experience all around. The only thing that would make it better is if it were served with a warm slice of its namesake.

10-18-2013 14:32:01 | More by Deanosaurus
Mavigo

4.73/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love banana bread so I had high expectations... and they were met. Poured in a pint.

A: pours a honey- amber color, with a half inch tan head with minimal lacing.

S: Can smell hops and banana bread, making me happy.

T: Boom goes the dynamite. Scrumptious. First begins with the hop flavor followed immediately by straight up banana bread, as if you just took a bite. I wish i had some banana bread to go with this.

M: Very crisp, much carbonation, very light

O: Despite what everyone else has said, If you're a fan of banana bread, this beer is up your alley. Its light, refreshing, easy going and with great taste. Try it.

09-28-2012 02:39:28 | More by Mavigo
JayS2629

Alabama

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

A- Clear copper with creamy frothy head and nice retention. Spiderweb lacing.

S- Banana bread? Definite banana and yeast, baked bready tones with some toasted scents. A little spice.

T- Rich, deep and strong ripe banana througout. Nice notes of chai spice. Baked bread taste. nutty tones. Spice cake. Hops and hints of vanilla and rum.

M- Moist bread with a medium body. Light cream.

D- Very delicious. Complex and deep with nutty flavors dominate. Rich and hints of spice. Very nice. Slight hops and well balanced. Vanilla tones set this one off from the regular.

11-14-2010 05:12:28 | More by JayS2629
MNFirefly

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

I love this beer and completely satisfied with my selection. I was completely love the smell and aroma of the beer and reminds me of banana bread. The clear color is beautiful. The pour of the beer into the glass was smooth. The mouthfeel was smooth.

12-12-2010 03:03:31 | More by MNFirefly