Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
PBelt71

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer of all time, but I don't drink it as often as I would like, so when I do, it is a real treat. The appearance, smell and taste are incredible. It is a perfect blend of beer, banana and spices, and has perfect carbonation. Highly recommended! Give it a try.

08-16-2013 22:33:52 | More by PBelt71
pjkelley82

4.81/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color to beer.. about a half inch of off white/antique white head. Good bubbles but head did not stick around long. By the way... I smell the banns already. Very nice lacing.

Smell was what the bottle says. Banana.. a little spice and hops somewhere but overall is banana..

The first thing I noticed in the taste was the overall beer and malt taste. The banana came immediately following it but crept up. Nice hoppy/spice taste towards the end but the banana is all there but more or less gets stronger... than weaker in the taste. Beautifully balanced. The banana is not an artificial banana taste... but not a smoothie/100%banana from the farm taste either. It's sorta on it's own but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and medium to full bodied.. good amount of malt. nice crisp finish with a smooth pleasant banana malt aftertaste. It says on the label that ale's used to be called bread beers because they were considered meals in a bottle. Well that's how this beer felt.

Overall I would say this is an excellent beer. Fans of banana flavor should definitely seek this out. I do recommend this beer to people and is the perfect beer to sit around with and you could drink it for hours.

06-19-2013 21:34:33 | More by pjkelley82

12-30-2013 19:06:30 | More by MrLacinak
Deanosaurus

Missouri

4.74/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at a bar called Myngle in Lee's Summit, MO. First thing I noted was that the bottle was large (1-pint) and nicely shaped. The extra beer gave me a real chance to experience the texture and taste individually. I like a beer I can chew, so this flavorful liquid is right up my alley.

- Appearance (4.5/5)
It had a nice copper tone to it that wasn't too vibrant. It looked warm, even in the blue lighting under the bar adjacent to our table.

- Smell (4.75/5)
Bananas. Literally. You may as well have opened a banana right in front of my face and torn it to shreds. And it was a real aroma too, not a fabricated scent like they put in candy. Which leads into...

- Taste (4.75/5)
The taste was the most accurate to the smell I have ever experienced. You know how when you smell coffee it smells robust and amazing, and then a majority of them taste bitter or sour? Sometimes beer can be like that too. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE that. It's the reason I am such a huge fan of IPAs) But this beer was the exact opposite. It hits initially with the alcohol and taste that a fermented liquid should carry then quickly melts back into a savor banana (and bread) flavor.

- Mouthfeel (4.75/5)
The most interesting thing I have to say about this beer is the mouth feel. As previously stated, I like a beer I can chew. When you consider bread you typically think of a chewy soft substance and this beer had it. It is key to not that the beer is called "Wells Banana BREAD Beer", not "Wells Banana Beer". I worried when I ordered it that it would be all banana and no bread. This was not the case. The yeast they chose for fermenting naturally fills in that flavor for you and they did a great job and balancing the warming sensation of bread with the banana flavoring to make an equal and robust experience.

- Overall (4.75/5)
Great experience all around. The only thing that would make it better is if it were served with a warm slice of its namesake.

10-18-2013 14:32:01 | More by Deanosaurus
Mavigo

4.73/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love banana bread so I had high expectations... and they were met. Poured in a pint.

A: pours a honey- amber color, with a half inch tan head with minimal lacing.

S: Can smell hops and banana bread, making me happy.

T: Boom goes the dynamite. Scrumptious. First begins with the hop flavor followed immediately by straight up banana bread, as if you just took a bite. I wish i had some banana bread to go with this.

M: Very crisp, much carbonation, very light

O: Despite what everyone else has said, If you're a fan of banana bread, this beer is up your alley. Its light, refreshing, easy going and with great taste. Try it.

09-28-2012 02:39:28 | More by Mavigo
JayS2629

Alabama

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

A- Clear copper with creamy frothy head and nice retention. Spiderweb lacing.

S- Banana bread? Definite banana and yeast, baked bready tones with some toasted scents. A little spice.

T- Rich, deep and strong ripe banana througout. Nice notes of chai spice. Baked bread taste. nutty tones. Spice cake. Hops and hints of vanilla and rum.

M- Moist bread with a medium body. Light cream.

D- Very delicious. Complex and deep with nutty flavors dominate. Rich and hints of spice. Very nice. Slight hops and well balanced. Vanilla tones set this one off from the regular.

11-14-2010 05:12:28 | More by JayS2629
MNFirefly

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

I love this beer and completely satisfied with my selection. I was completely love the smell and aroma of the beer and reminds me of banana bread. The clear color is beautiful. The pour of the beer into the glass was smooth. The mouthfeel was smooth.

12-12-2010 03:03:31 | More by MNFirefly
hdofu

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +35.1%

This beer is amazing. Its a little sweet, smooth tastes like bananas but not to the degree that it's unpleasent as it finishes with a wheat taste. I can't overemphasize how smooth this beer is, the low alcohol isn't even detectable and overall I find it about as drinkable as beers can come.

12-02-2010 01:10:59 | More by hdofu
kstbeer

4.7/5  rDev +35.1%

I absolutely love this beer, I have never seen or even heard of a banana beer so I had to try it. In my opinion it has a mildly average taste of banana..which is just enough. Its light, has a very nice color and aroma. I bought two, one to drink and one to store. I really wish i know more about banana beers and what kind of hops and grains goes into this Wells beer. any feedback would be great!

09-09-2010 19:01:19 | More by kstbeer
IsaacmanTX

4.63/5  rDev +33%

Holy Crap, this is a Banana Moonpie!!! Somehow, this beer reminds me of a flavor of saltwater taffy. This should be tried at least once by every beer drinker, even if never again. It would be a stretch for me to finish a full glass of this, much less a second. That being said, I feel that if you ever loved sweets in your childhood, you will Love at least ONE sample of this beer.

10-20-2012 01:49:07 | More by IsaacmanTX
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%

This is new in Alberta and I've been waiting to give this a try...finally I can scratch a brew off my want list!!

A- Comes in a clear bottle with what I'm guessing is a new label as opposed to the picture here on BA. Solid look as most English beers are....pours a dark golden color, and it clear. The head is, well, colored like mashed banana and isn't exactly thick, but what there is, is frothy and retains well. Lacing is good, as lots of sticky foam clings to the side of my pint glass. Carbonation seems to be holding back somewhat so that's good IMO.

S- YUM! This smells exactly like how real banana bread wafts into the air as it's in the oven! At the same time, it's rich enough that I catch a hint of dark chocolate, just like if I had choc. chips in the batter! Along with some subtle spices, there is also just a hint of dry hops on the finish. A real pleasure to smell!

T- This is amazing and is definitely the best fruit beer I've tasted to date! The sweet banana fruit is present, yet in a more subtle manner....it doesn't have any sort of artificial extract present! There is a yeasty quality that just helps to round out the malt and balance out the more than modest spicy/dry crispness of the finish. Just a note, as this warms up a bit, a nutty character shows itself that wasn't really present at first.

M- I wouldn't call this thin bodied but it just has such a smoothness to it that I really feel that I'm drinking liquid banana bread, with just a hint of sweetness. The carbonation is low, allowing the beer to just glide around the palate at will. A real delight!

D- As much as I love this beer, I'd be good after no more than say 2 pints...no offense intended! It's just so flavorful, the alcohol is very well hidden and would be the perfect desert beer....I could see myself enjoying this with some cake and ice cream! I highly recommend this to anyone, amateur and expert alike!

02-14-2011 03:02:55 | More by ChrisCage