Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 841 | Hads: 2,804
3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

Since I loved my mom's banana bread, I had to give this beer and try and see what it was like.

A -- Came in a funky bottle that sort of made it stand out on the store shelf. Pours a nice, clear, honey color with a little head; moderate carbonation

S -- All I can smell is banana (which could be good or could be bad depending on your preference)

T -- Strong taste of banana when you first sip; taste dissipates somewhat and the lingering taste is somewhat bitter;

M -- A bit watery although the carbonation lends itself well enough

D -- Easy to drink one but I don't know if I would have more than one;

Again, I wanted to try this because I love banana bread. I don't know if I would buy this over some other beers again but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying. Definitely fun and worth giving a shot. (814 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

On first glance, this beer poured a nice amber tone with a fine head that lasted for most of the drink. The bouquet was a mixture of subtle banana, malt and a dash of grain.

The initial mouthfeel was interesting. The first taste had a bit of an alcohol bite that I had never felt before on an English beer. After that quick bit faded, that hint of banana and malt came through, leaving the old taste buds satisfied. The sips that followed were very enjoyable.

Overall, nice mouthfeel, good taste, a beer for the lover of UK beers!! (534 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I saw this one at Brawleys in Charlotte, NC, looked interesting, so I thought I would give it a shot. Not sure what to expect, but here she goes:

Pours from a 1pt 3.25oz dark brown, etched bottle into a pint glass. A cool picture is ont he label: It is a beer, looks like a nitro stout, ensconced by a banana peel. Pretty cool I thought. Anyway, beer emerges light copper with a small white head, some lacing, minimal retention. Crystal clear beer, which seems weird if bananas were really used in this beer (The label says "Beer brewed with bananas).

Terrific smell. If you like banana bread, or bananas in general, this one is up your alley. It doesnt have the wheat banana smell, but a banana bread smell; the two are entirely different in my opinion. Banana bread was all I was looking for in the aroma and that is all I got.

Liquid banana bread indeed! No other way to describe it.

Dry on the finish and a bit thin and watery. However, I wouldnt reall want a thick feeling beer of this niche as it would take away from the flavors. This one be one to enjoy on a warm day while outside on the deck. Drinkability is a bit low because the flavors are quite intense and the palate would go weary after this big bottle.

I really enjoyed this one. This wont be for everyone, but I was looking for banana bread so I was satisfied. (1,336 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -10.8%

I was told that people "love/hate" this beer, so I wanted to try it out. Pours a rusty orange color into the glass, with a thin head that disappeared quickly. Lots of carbonation noticed on the sides of the glass. The smell was like a freshly peeled banana, and gets your attention. The taste was a bit of a let down. It had more of a spiced winter warmer flavor, and not much banana. A unique beer to try once, but not something I want to have a lot of or have often. I am on the fence with the love/hate idea. (511 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance - Light brown and clear, the head quickly fades to virtually nothing.

Aroma - Vivid and pungent banana backed up with pears and sharp apples. Hints of alcohol and malt also present.

Taste - Bananas, roasted malt and more bananas. Disappointingly the banana taste vanishes quite quickly leaving a vaguely malty, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Abit thin with very little retained carbonation.

Overall - Intriguing idea, the banana taste actually goes quite well with the malt. Unfortunately, the thats where this beers ends. An average beer singled out for its unique taste. Not much body or depth, and even the bananas dont hang around much beyond the first taste. (674 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -58.5%

I picked this up on a recommendation from a clerk at the liquor store...last time I trust that guy.

A: Pours a clear copper/amber color with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Smells like bananas. Could maybe pick up a little malt, but was mostly covered up by bananas.

T: Tastes like miller lite with a banana in it. Nothing "bready" about this. There is a hint of something in the finish, but it never really comes through.

M: Good and watery

D: Maybe the first beer I can remember that I didn't actually finish.

Might be interesting for the novelty of the idea, but it seriously lacks in the flavor department. (615 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pristine golden amber without the slightest hint of haze. Copius amounts of bubbles flood the entire body of the glass. Head is flimsy but present, simple off white color.

S: Smells of banana runts, crystal malt, wheat dough and faint hops.

T: Begins with familiar banana essence at the beginning of the process. The banana is crisp and defined; not overly sweet, cloying or even bland…just sort of there. From here a distinct English ale flavor moves in, bringing with it limestone, calcium and evident English hops. There’s a boring malt undercurrent which helps balance the banana flavor. Finishes with lingering banana and hops around the sides of the tongue.

M: Thin and hard.

D: Well, this beer could have been done a lot better. I’d like to see another brewery take a shot at it…give it a bit more body, a lot more “bready” tastes and a lot more complexity. (877 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours out clear dark amber with a dense tan head.

Smell. Lots of banana, but is more of a fresh banana smell, rather than a candy smell, though there is some sweetness that could give it a candy smell to some.

Taste. Is dryer than i thought it would be. Has a fresh banana taste that is interesting. Banana is the dominant flavor, but not overwhelming...but that is all i am getting. Bitterness is low. Aftertastes gets a little sweeter.

Moluthfeel. Body is a nice medium with good amount of carbonation. Seems to have a decent balance.

Overall, an interesting beer. I think it is quite nice, but i think i would get tired of it quick if i had it often. (657 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a nice golden color into my nonic pint glass. Nice creamy white head. There was no lace left on my glass.
Fairly strong odor of banana accompanied by a faint odor of spices and hops. Wow, it tastes like banana bread, imgine that. I really like the taste not overly sweet. Unfortunately the intense carbanation made it difficult to drink, could not take more than to swallows at a time. Overall I find it worth a try. (423 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a nice golden hue with a slighty creamy white thick fomay head. Head left a ring around the glass that lasted the entire pint (and remaining refill). Aroma definitely was that of fresh cooking banana bread. The flavor was initially very lacking, didn't provide much except perhaps for some soapy bitterness. Once the beer warmed up to probably about 60 degrees, the flavor was all sweet banana bread with a small touch of bitterness at the end. Felt a little thin in the mouth and slightly over carbonated. Was easy to drink, but the carbonation definitely made it less drinkable. (626 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a big bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a clear copper with ok carbonation. The head is small off white and leaves little lace.

The smell is good spicy and banana, just like the bread.

The taste is good as well. Lots of spice that works well with the banana. Kind of sweet at first but the hots evens out in the finish, Surprisingly the beer works well.

The mouthfeel is less then medium body with good carbonation.

The drinkability is good as it is, I can't see my self drinking a lot of this but as a novalty is is pretty good. Prosit MK (558 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

A: A crystal clear amber colour - has the appearance of a dark lager almost, the head is also lacy and lasts well - again, so tight it almost resembles a lager. Nicely carbonated, a constant stream of rising bubbles appears in the glass.

S: Not particularly complex - just dominated by banana with malty bitter aromas underneath. Difficult to detect any more subtle yeast aromas over the banana.

T: As with the smell, you get a nice, malty bitter, dominated by banana. Hops bitterness is subtle and flavour largely absent. This works well with the style, trying to get much in there alongside the banana would probably be overdoing it.. Certainly a long way from a traditional ale but very pleasant and if it's your sort of thing, well recommended. I scored the taste highly partly just because the sheer originality of this beer makes it worth trying.

M: Not too gassy, does retain some liquid character when swirled around the mouth. Fairly light but fitting to the strength and style.

D: Hmm, I wanted to score it more highly but - the banana is just too much after a while. If it's your sort of thing you could probably drink it all night but it's just an occasional thing for me. (1,188 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a crystal clear amber with a thin white head. Very little lacing.

Smelled like bananas. All I smelled was bananas. Reminded me of the bananas I had in St. Lucia.

Tasted like bananas with hints of honey. Some slight bitterness on the back palate.

Moderate to hight carbonation. Full mouthfeel, but somehow manages to feel very light. (343 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottled shared graciously at the homebrew club

Appearance: This beer pours a golden orange color with a white head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Huge banana aroma that is reminiscent of, what else, banana bread. Some of the other tasters pointed out that it smells exactly like those orange, marshmallow peanuts. They were spot on.

Taste: Bananas and a solid malt base are what dominates the flavor profile of this beer. Other subordinate flavors are candied almonds and pecans.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated and lively. Slick and medium body. Alcohol burn is present despite the low abv. Refreshing.

Drinkability: An interesting beer that is quite drinkable and not too cloying. I'm sure the ladies could appreciate something like this, and so could I if it were paired with some delicious Christmas desserts. Try it. (812 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +8%

A - Pours up a golden amber color with a thin white head.

S - Definitely smells of banana, and some bread aromas come through. Smells good.

T - Starts off with a quick, but subtle hit of banana that fades to bitterness. Hops finish on the back of the tongue. Not very sweet. There is more banana in the aroma than in the flavor.

M - A little thin, but the carbonation bites the tongue.

D - I bought this for the novelty and am glad I only bought one. It was good, but I don't think I could do two. C'mon! Bananas in beer?! (526 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

This should be interesting because i love banana bread.

Smell: Bready with banana notes, also it reminds me of an English style before tasting. Where does this come from anyway? Oh the UK.
Not a big fan of their stuff but here it goes. Hmm, good now I could drink this stuff.

It more like a ESB

The after taste is a bit harsh I think.

Smell: Banana is present sweet and subtle, slight hop but can not make out what it is right now.

Little head retention

Color: Dark golden amber

I would buy another (510 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -18.5%

Shared a pint with a buddy. We have been thinking about adding some banana flavors into one of our homebrews and thought we'd give this one a try. Amber/copper pour with decent head that came down quickly. Smell was overwhelming banana but did have some nuttiness. It did smell like Banana bread. Tasted of bready malt and banana but had an undercurrent of medicinal slightly astringent flavors. Seemed good at first, but as it warmed, it became more medicinal and less drinkable. I didn't end up finishing my half of the pint. My buddy thought a little more of it than I did. (576 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

a: clear, light brown in color with a low white head

s: heavy on banana taffy, with subtle barley notes

m: light-medium body with medium carbonation

t: Almost identical to the aroma...banana taffy flavors bring back memories of the artificially flavored, bright yellow Laffy Taffy of my youth. Subtle grains and light hops.

d: Glad the bottle was split, but not necessarily bad drinkability. I might even call it enjoyable, but any novel appeal is quickly lost.

bottle from Grapes & Hops in Fayetteville (508 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Got a bottle of this from my sister for my birthday. Thanks Jennifarm!
The beer is a tawny golden amber, filling an english pint glass entirely, with nothing to spare for head. A full pint, that's for sure! Just a misty island of foam surrounded by a collar, in true english style. Very clear, with a brilliant golden glow through light. Speckly lace clings to the glass.
Banana is well present in the aroma, surely, but doesn't dominate like a syrupy additive. Well placed, with bready malt it really does smell very much like banana bread. A touch of nuttiness, something like walnut or pecan, and a bit of clove phenols. Light floral hops. More banana comes through with warmth. Inviting.
The flavor is on the mild side, with more beeriness and less banana than I'd expected. I'm grateful, as I'm not too into fruit brews in general. Strong carbonation, with a large bubble feel. Finishes malty and marginally towards the sweet side, with mercifully restrained banana flavor. The fruit flavor gathers as the beer warms, but remains civilized. I've gotten more out of a hefeweizen. An estery, phenolic feel in the back of the throat, like Juicyfruit gum. A little pear and white grape, besides the banana. Some herbal/floral/metallic hops provide balanced bitterness. Light to medium bodied, smooth and rather dry on the palate. A bit of nutty pecan towards the back, with a bit of doughy yeast. Very much like banana bread, but still very much like an english bitter. Well done. I'd drink this one again. (1,507 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Tasted this pint bottle on 22.11.07, best by 30.06.08. The bottle was clear glass. That always makes me suspicious of a beer. Why do brewers do this? It's all marketing, I suppose.

Poured an amber brew; clear without much head. Instant banana aroma with a "grassy" hops smell.

Tasted exactly as it's called; of banana bread, with not many other complexities. Mouthfeel had a slightly "oily" feel to it.
This would almost certainly be great with tiramisu or other dessert.

This is not a beer that I would sit in a pub with, but would be great with an appropriate food pairing. (578 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

1 pint 3.25fl oz bottle, best before 12/31/07, served in a pilsner glass.

A - clear, amber color with a huge white head that took a while to settle down, leaving some nice chunks of lacing.

S - sweet banana bread aroma.

T - banana flavor is not as overpowering as the smell might lead one to believe. sweet malty flavor with a somewhat dry, bitter ending.

M - medium bodied, smooth and creamy.

D - a very different type of beer, good, but 1 bottle at a time is all I could handle.

Final Note: if you can find this beer, it's worth a try. (543 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +6%

Light amber color and very clear. A very impressive head with thick lace left on the side of the glass.

The smell is as advertised--lots of banana and mild spice--just like banana bread.

The taste is unusual, almost fake, not as much banana here. The hop is distracting to the smell. Surprisingly dry flavor. Full bodied with a generous amount of carbonation.

This is almost like two different beers--the smell is a sweet banana bread experiment; the taste is closer to a sweet pale ale. (490 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A new surprise at LaBodega in Riverside, CA. They don't always have a huge selection, and they miss some ones I wish they had, but for a small selection, it's good and constantly changing. 500 ml bottle, different labeling than shown in the beer's home page.

Pours a very clear, golden orange, with a decent fluffy head and a small amount of carbonation. First whiff- BANANA! Very spot on. Reminds me of slightly rotten bananas my mom used to use to make banana bread. Yum!

Flavor is definitely banana and malt- no hops I can find. But there is also another more herbal flavor- clove, cardimon, something in that neck of the woods. It's mostly there in the aftertaste. Somewhat off-putting to me, but I can't let it take too much from an otherwise interesting beer. A once in a while treat, not a regular drinker. (815 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

Ever since I heard/read about this beer I wanted to try it. Banana and beer, sounds good right? I love banana-nut bread and I thought that it should taste good when mixed with beer. So I was surprised to find this one recently in a local liquor store and picked one up to take home.

Pours golden with some shades of amber, and a thin layer of foam.

Whoa! You can smell the bananas, nuts and dough as soon as you start pouring. Amazing. I also detect some cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, brown sugar (are they using my recipe? Ha), and in the background there is some pale malt and slightly toasted aromas. Not too much hops but that seems like a good thing. Some hints of butterscotch and toffee as well (diacetyl works well in this one). Have you ever had banana flavored bubble-gum? That’s how it smells like plus a bit of spices. One of the most interesting beers I’ve encountered in the aroma department. Great aroma, but it does mute just a bit as it warms up.

The taste is not as intense as the aroma, which is a bit disappointing but there are notes of bread, banana, roasted nuts, malt, toasted bread, and hints of cinnamon. Not really disappointing but just not as “good” as the aroma. I think this beer would be much better with a heftier, and darker malt profile, maybe some hints of chocolate would be great.

The beer is pretty well carbonated and it’s very easy to drink. Mouth-feel is on the thin side, doesn’t make me feel like I’m drinking bread. (1,469 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Reddish honey with a weak 1.5 finger head that doesn't last long and doesn't lace well.

S: As the label suggests, banana bread. A little sugary with some raisin background.

T: Pretty good - if you like banana bread, you'll probably like this. Pretty sweet and fruity, almost a little too sweet like a Belgian. Up front banana flavor that slowly transitions into more of a raisin bread flavor. Not too much alcohol in the flavor. A little bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M: A little watery - would prefer it to be slightly heavier, but if it were I would fear cloying. Medium-light bodied. Non-astringent and crisp.

D: Very drinkable, and warms the body well. (661 characters)

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd