2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells Banana Bread BeerWells Banana Bread Beer

Ratings: 2016

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-15-2002)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,016 | Reviews: 780 | Show All Ratings:
BarryNL

Netherlands

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

A: A crystal clear amber colour - has the appearance of a dark lager almost, the head is also lacy and lasts well - again, so tight it almost resembles a lager. Nicely carbonated, a constant stream of rising bubbles appears in the glass.

S: Not particularly complex - just dominated by banana with malty bitter aromas underneath. Difficult to detect any more subtle yeast aromas over the banana.

T: As with the smell, you get a nice, malty bitter, dominated by banana. Hops bitterness is subtle and flavour largely absent. This works well with the style, trying to get much in there alongside the banana would probably be overdoing it.. Certainly a long way from a traditional ale but very pleasant and if it's your sort of thing, well recommended. I scored the taste highly partly just because the sheer originality of this beer makes it worth trying.

M: Not too gassy, does retain some liquid character when swirled around the mouth. Fairly light but fitting to the strength and style.

D: Hmm, I wanted to score it more highly but - the banana is just too much after a while. If it's your sort of thing you could probably drink it all night but it's just an occasional thing for me.

12-08-2007 20:39:21 | More by BarryNL
brantadid

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a crystal clear amber with a thin white head. Very little lacing.

Smelled like bananas. All I smelled was bananas. Reminded me of the bananas I had in St. Lucia.

Tasted like bananas with hints of honey. Some slight bitterness on the back palate.

Moderate to hight carbonation. Full mouthfeel, but somehow manages to feel very light.

12-05-2007 04:11:48 | More by brantadid
Risser09

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottled shared graciously at the homebrew club

Appearance: This beer pours a golden orange color with a white head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Huge banana aroma that is reminiscent of, what else, banana bread. Some of the other tasters pointed out that it smells exactly like those orange, marshmallow peanuts. They were spot on.

Taste: Bananas and a solid malt base are what dominates the flavor profile of this beer. Other subordinate flavors are candied almonds and pecans.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated and lively. Slick and medium body. Alcohol burn is present despite the low abv. Refreshing.

Drinkability: An interesting beer that is quite drinkable and not too cloying. I'm sure the ladies could appreciate something like this, and so could I if it were paired with some delicious Christmas desserts. Try it.

12-04-2007 13:07:30 | More by Risser09
hiikeeba

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Pours up a golden amber color with a thin white head.

S - Definitely smells of banana, and some bread aromas come through. Smells good.

T - Starts off with a quick, but subtle hit of banana that fades to bitterness. Hops finish on the back of the tongue. Not very sweet. There is more banana in the aroma than in the flavor.

M - A little thin, but the carbonation bites the tongue.

D - I bought this for the novelty and am glad I only bought one. It was good, but I don't think I could do two. C'mon! Bananas in beer?!

12-01-2007 21:56:49 | More by hiikeeba
mortarit

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

This should be interesting because i love banana bread.

Smell: Bready with banana notes, also it reminds me of an English style before tasting. Where does this come from anyway? Oh the UK.
Not a big fan of their stuff but here it goes. Hmm, good now I could drink this stuff.

It more like a ESB

The after taste is a bit harsh I think.

Smell: Banana is present sweet and subtle, slight hop but can not make out what it is right now.

Little head retention

Color: Dark golden amber

I would buy another

11-30-2007 20:31:55 | More by mortarit
hopsleeroy

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Shared a pint with a buddy. We have been thinking about adding some banana flavors into one of our homebrews and thought we'd give this one a try. Amber/copper pour with decent head that came down quickly. Smell was overwhelming banana but did have some nuttiness. It did smell like Banana bread. Tasted of bready malt and banana but had an undercurrent of medicinal slightly astringent flavors. Seemed good at first, but as it warmed, it became more medicinal and less drinkable. I didn't end up finishing my half of the pint. My buddy thought a little more of it than I did.

11-28-2007 22:58:42 | More by hopsleeroy
blackie

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

a: clear, light brown in color with a low white head

s: heavy on banana taffy, with subtle barley notes

m: light-medium body with medium carbonation

t: Almost identical to the aroma...banana taffy flavors bring back memories of the artificially flavored, bright yellow Laffy Taffy of my youth. Subtle grains and light hops.

d: Glad the bottle was split, but not necessarily bad drinkability. I might even call it enjoyable, but any novel appeal is quickly lost.

bottle from Grapes & Hops in Fayetteville

11-28-2007 04:24:59 | More by blackie
UnionMade

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Got a bottle of this from my sister for my birthday. Thanks Jennifarm!
The beer is a tawny golden amber, filling an english pint glass entirely, with nothing to spare for head. A full pint, that's for sure! Just a misty island of foam surrounded by a collar, in true english style. Very clear, with a brilliant golden glow through light. Speckly lace clings to the glass.
Banana is well present in the aroma, surely, but doesn't dominate like a syrupy additive. Well placed, with bready malt it really does smell very much like banana bread. A touch of nuttiness, something like walnut or pecan, and a bit of clove phenols. Light floral hops. More banana comes through with warmth. Inviting.
The flavor is on the mild side, with more beeriness and less banana than I'd expected. I'm grateful, as I'm not too into fruit brews in general. Strong carbonation, with a large bubble feel. Finishes malty and marginally towards the sweet side, with mercifully restrained banana flavor. The fruit flavor gathers as the beer warms, but remains civilized. I've gotten more out of a hefeweizen. An estery, phenolic feel in the back of the throat, like Juicyfruit gum. A little pear and white grape, besides the banana. Some herbal/floral/metallic hops provide balanced bitterness. Light to medium bodied, smooth and rather dry on the palate. A bit of nutty pecan towards the back, with a bit of doughy yeast. Very much like banana bread, but still very much like an english bitter. Well done. I'd drink this one again.

11-25-2007 09:53:46 | More by UnionMade
JohnfromDublin

Ireland

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Tasted this pint bottle on 22.11.07, best by 30.06.08. The bottle was clear glass. That always makes me suspicious of a beer. Why do brewers do this? It's all marketing, I suppose.

Poured an amber brew; clear without much head. Instant banana aroma with a "grassy" hops smell.

Tasted exactly as it's called; of banana bread, with not many other complexities. Mouthfeel had a slightly "oily" feel to it.
This would almost certainly be great with tiramisu or other dessert.

This is not a beer that I would sit in a pub with, but would be great with an appropriate food pairing.

11-23-2007 09:52:02 | More by JohnfromDublin
JoeyBeerBelly

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

1 pint 3.25fl oz bottle, best before 12/31/07, served in a pilsner glass.

A - clear, amber color with a huge white head that took a while to settle down, leaving some nice chunks of lacing.

S - sweet banana bread aroma.

T - banana flavor is not as overpowering as the smell might lead one to believe. sweet malty flavor with a somewhat dry, bitter ending.

M - medium bodied, smooth and creamy.

D - a very different type of beer, good, but 1 bottle at a time is all I could handle.

Final Note: if you can find this beer, it's worth a try.

11-23-2007 02:56:19 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
smcolw

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Light amber color and very clear. A very impressive head with thick lace left on the side of the glass.

The smell is as advertised--lots of banana and mild spice--just like banana bread.

The taste is unusual, almost fake, not as much banana here. The hop is distracting to the smell. Surprisingly dry flavor. Full bodied with a generous amount of carbonation.

This is almost like two different beers--the smell is a sweet banana bread experiment; the taste is closer to a sweet pale ale.

11-22-2007 00:28:59 | More by smcolw
Dukeofearl

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A new surprise at LaBodega in Riverside, CA. They don't always have a huge selection, and they miss some ones I wish they had, but for a small selection, it's good and constantly changing. 500 ml bottle, different labeling than shown in the beer's home page.

Pours a very clear, golden orange, with a decent fluffy head and a small amount of carbonation. First whiff- BANANA! Very spot on. Reminds me of slightly rotten bananas my mom used to use to make banana bread. Yum!

Flavor is definitely banana and malt- no hops I can find. But there is also another more herbal flavor- clove, cardimon, something in that neck of the woods. It's mostly there in the aftertaste. Somewhat off-putting to me, but I can't let it take too much from an otherwise interesting beer. A once in a while treat, not a regular drinker.

11-19-2007 01:12:41 | More by Dukeofearl
seaoflament

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Ever since I heard/read about this beer I wanted to try it. Banana and beer, sounds good right? I love banana-nut bread and I thought that it should taste good when mixed with beer. So I was surprised to find this one recently in a local liquor store and picked one up to take home.

Pours golden with some shades of amber, and a thin layer of foam.

Whoa! You can smell the bananas, nuts and dough as soon as you start pouring. Amazing. I also detect some cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, brown sugar (are they using my recipe? Ha), and in the background there is some pale malt and slightly toasted aromas. Not too much hops but that seems like a good thing. Some hints of butterscotch and toffee as well (diacetyl works well in this one). Have you ever had banana flavored bubble-gum? That’s how it smells like plus a bit of spices. One of the most interesting beers I’ve encountered in the aroma department. Great aroma, but it does mute just a bit as it warms up.

The taste is not as intense as the aroma, which is a bit disappointing but there are notes of bread, banana, roasted nuts, malt, toasted bread, and hints of cinnamon. Not really disappointing but just not as “good” as the aroma. I think this beer would be much better with a heftier, and darker malt profile, maybe some hints of chocolate would be great.

The beer is pretty well carbonated and it’s very easy to drink. Mouth-feel is on the thin side, doesn’t make me feel like I’m drinking bread.

11-18-2007 03:56:03 | More by seaoflament
ralree

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Reddish honey with a weak 1.5 finger head that doesn't last long and doesn't lace well.

S: As the label suggests, banana bread. A little sugary with some raisin background.

T: Pretty good - if you like banana bread, you'll probably like this. Pretty sweet and fruity, almost a little too sweet like a Belgian. Up front banana flavor that slowly transitions into more of a raisin bread flavor. Not too much alcohol in the flavor. A little bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M: A little watery - would prefer it to be slightly heavier, but if it were I would fear cloying. Medium-light bodied. Non-astringent and crisp.

D: Very drinkable, and warms the body well.

11-14-2007 02:28:50 | More by ralree
morayeel

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

Who would ever think that a banana beer would be so good. I picked up a case just to see how this beer how it taste and was superised.

Serving- From pint bottle

Apperance- Very nice amber brown like banana bread

Smell- Light banana smell

Taste- Very smooth no bitterness, a nice banana taste at the end

Mothfeel- Smooth no bitterness

Drinkability- This is a beer I could just keep on drinking all night long.

Try this beer you will be superised how good it is.

11-13-2007 02:17:48 | More by morayeel
kimcgolf

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

This rates out higher than I intended because I really enjoyed the aroma, which was a sweet candy scent that reminded me of a banana popsicle. Other than that, the pour was a medium golden color with thin white head that dissipated quickly to little lacing. Body was thin and dry, and the flavor, while slight banana, was nowhere near what the nose was. What there was tended to be more uncooked banana dough, and not bread. Finish was a bit stale and dry, and did not give the sweet banana finish that I experience from banana bread.

Cute idea, but nothing to write home about.

11-10-2007 11:25:43 | More by kimcgolf
RiekerStarBrew

3.48/5  rDev 0%

I was very excited when I had the chance to sample this beer. Banana is by far my favorite fruit. As for the beer, the color was a golden hue when poured from its bottle. Of course, the aroma was banana, but that didn't hide the caramel malt in there as well. The flavor was decent with the banana, light hops and malt. What I was suprised to find was how light bodied this beer was. It finished limp in your mouth. I think I was looking for a fuller bodied beer with a sweeter finish.

11-06-2007 20:14:59 | More by RiekerStarBrew
cmmprez

Nevada

2.4/5  rDev -31%

I picked up this beer for the novelty of banana bread, which I love. Going into it with the preconceived taste of banana bread in my mouth, I was disappointed with what I got. I try to go into beers with an open mind, but the marketing for this beer built it up.

The color was inviting with its amber warmth. The smell hinted at banana bread in the malt overtones. I was looking forward to the strong malt esters that give off a distinctly banana taste, like in Weyerbachers Merry Monks. On the first sip, I was thrown off by its sharply bitter taste. It was bitter like burnt coffee. The mouthfeel was thin. I expected it to be chewy and stick to my tongue. As I swallowed, I got some nuttiness and then a faint feeling of having just eaten a piece of banana bread. The taste was there. However, having gone through the bitter taste and the weak up front showing, the aftertaste just didn't seem worth it. I wasn't inspired to take another sip. I was obliged because I had bought the bottle, so I better finish it.

This is a beer to try if you like banana bread and enjoy sharply dry bitter beers like Rogue's Mocha Porter. For me, it didn't do it because I let my expectations get in the way. I may revisit this beer in a year or so.

11-06-2007 02:24:18 | More by cmmprez
InandOutBeerGuys

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

I was very excited to try this beer...the thought kinda seemed weird, yet intriguing. Still, I went in with a few guys to split up some cases & this one had to be part of it-we all wanted to try it- yet didnt want to lay out the coin for the case individually, so we all ended up with some this way. Everyone was happy with the beer, it pours nice, retains a OK head with mild lacing, Bannana in the nose, with a nutty, toasty cracker like malt flavors. Notable hop notes spice tings just right to balance up a very nice drinkable english ale. Very un-like typical "dishwater" pub bitters & not anywhere near being overpowering. Nice drinkable beer that you can actually drink a few of wth your "mates" then cry about the fact you just drank up a 50 dollar 12 pack!

11-05-2007 20:46:12 | More by InandOutBeerGuys
NeroFiddled

As the name suggests, Wells Banana Bread Beer smells and tastes of bananas and nuts. And it's a touch sweet and bready, very much like banana bread.

It pours a crystal-clear golden amber body beneath a short head of creamy off-white foam that holds very well but leaves only spotty lace. Odd. Perhaps it has something to do with oils from the banana? Or perhaps they use real nuts?

The green banana appears initially in the nose, but the nutty and bready malt soon follows.

The flavor starts with green banana,, some soft berry-like fruit, and a touch of spice. Once across the palate that spiciness (hops?) widens a bit. Grassy hops flutter to and fro nicely. The spiciness fades at the swallow, and the nuttiness rises as it finishes dry and lingeringly nutty.

As for drinkability, it's certainly a well-made beer, and it's balanced and very, very interesting. One could mull over this one for a while. But it's certainly not a night at the pub quaffer, I think just one would do fine. Worth trying though. Unlike any other beer in the world!

11-04-2007 11:36:54 | More by NeroFiddled
marcpal

2.4/5  rDev -31%

I was excited to try this beer. Im a huge fan of banana bread and huge fan of beer, NOT a huge fan of this beer. It was a bit of a flavor bumble-F, not sure where it was going.

A: Amber with a decent head. Actually color of banana bread. so far, so good.

S: Sugared up bananas, much like banana bread. Smell the walnuts/pecan nutiness coming through. Pretty intense. Much more of the rich aroma out of the glass than from the bottle.

T: Tons of nuts and breadiness. The banana is pretty nice at first but wears out its welcome. The different sweet tastes are jumbled together and really lose the character through the beer.

M: Some carbonation, not all that smooth. A little too chewy given its overly muddled mix.

D: I dont think Id go back to this one. Just too sweet and a bit sloppy in the mix of flavors.

11-04-2007 02:22:20 | More by marcpal
Phatz

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

graciously shared by gottajiboo2. Thank you my friend!

This is a very quaffable English bitter with a banana bread twist. Simple, drinkable; tasty.

Appearance: Pours a light copper yellow with a beige head and spotty lace.

Smell: Light citrus presence in the nose along with the big banana aroma.

Taste: It is bready with solid bitterness along with the banana presence and pie spices; and it never becomes cloying. Balanced, approachable, very easy drinking.

Mouthfeel: It has a smooth medium body with a dry crisp finish. Refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a drinkable beer. Easy to put a few back.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

10-30-2007 21:21:21 | More by Phatz
ChainGangGuy

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

($4.11 @ Green's on Buford Hwy in Atlanta, GA)

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber body with a full, foamy white head.

Smell: Banana-laden aroma more reminiscient of a taffy than a banana bread. Faint spiciness in the background.

Taste: Biscuit malt flavor with a brief, mild caramel sweetness. The banana addition, though strong in the aroma, eases up in the taste to allow the mildly bready malts to step forward. Hint of graininess. Spicy hop finish with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: These novelty beers are pretty hit or miss, usually miss, but this isn't half bad! I'd honestly try this one again sometime.

10-28-2007 22:58:42 | More by ChainGangGuy
Georgiabeer

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Fairly interesting beer that is done quite subtly. No screaming banana flavors here, but instead some light fresh banana integrated with a malty/bready body. Not bad. Pours a light amber with an okay initial head that fades just a tad quickly. The smell is of banana and bubblegum. The banana smells natural- not artificial. The taste is a little more subtle but the bananas are still there along with a yeasty breadiness and a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is dry and smooth. All in all, quite nice if not my every day cup of tea.

10-27-2007 02:37:47 | More by Georgiabeer
brewdlyhooked13

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance - a diluted amber, good clarity. A thin off-white cover, complete but very thin. Some stray lacing, but not much.

Aroma - well, it's certainly banana-y. Like banana Laffy Taffy. A background touch of roasted grain. Doesn't smell like beer, but it ain't bad.

Taste - grainy, a tad sour up front. Some modest roasted grain and banana. A breath of alcohol mixed in there. A nice balance of hops on the swallow. Exactly as billed, I'd say.

Mouthfeel - some smoothness enhancing the fruit, I like that. Well carbonated too, preventing an overly heavy feel.

Drinkability - a super fruit beer, provided you're bananas! A great beer tasting pick.

10-22-2007 15:29:49 | More by brewdlyhooked13