Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,285 | Hads: 5,412
3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500 ml bottle, Hort's bar, Bristol - Pours blakc with a large tan head which disapates fairly quickly. Nice lacing. Smell - light chocolate, roasted coffee. Taste - slight sweet choocolate feel, not overpowering, roasted malts. Nice easy drinking stout. (253 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

L: Pours pitch black under a 3” tan foam collar that slowly recedes during the course of the drink while producing excellent lace. S: Big chocolate aroma T: The chocolate flavors from the malt and the added chocolate come in on separate layers and then blend on the palate. The added chocolate stops just short of cloying. F: The very rich and creamy texture makes this beer along with its satiating medium full body. O: A chocolaty, rich delight. (450 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not much of a stout fan but this one gets a better rating from me than many others. I raided the look slightly lower because I think the labeling could be more intricate, but the color and the richness of the flavor does match the typography. I drink this in the bottle because I often drink dark beer is in the bottle. I drink this beer because I'm breastfeeding, and starts are known to up milk production. the flavor and smell had a rich and chocolatey espresso taste just as I expected, and not too sweet or carbonated. it was an artificial but it was still pretty better for my liking. that's simply a matter of preference though. I'll probably drink this beer again. (676 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

I was very surprised when I tried this; while it felt like a stout, there was a sweetness and chocolatey taste that balanced the bitterness that was kinda amazing. (163 characters)

I got the nitro cans, as some others did, and it must be emphasized- in fact it can not be emphasized enough- that it was a terrible experience. This stout did not live well in a can, and did not retain carbonation or head even in spite of the nitro. Went completely, and I mean COMPLETELY flat in seconds. I've had stouts that were not marketed as chocolate, which had more flavor of chocolate, and it was so tart that I couldn't help wondering how they even called this a stout. I've had lemon shandies that weren't this acidic. I might try from a bottle later, but based on my experience with the can, it would have to be almost an entirely different beer, to pay import prices. Unless you're living in the UK, where this cheap, or have some kind of youthful nostalgia, it is not remotely worth the (roughly) $15 the six bottles will cost you in the US. (862 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

I had it from the bottle. It is a great stout. I'm my opinion stouts are just better in nitro, but this one holds it's own in CO2. It is not super-mega chocolate tasting, but that (I feel) would be over powering. Clean finish not much after taste. (251 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle from Mullingar Ireland. Enough sugar to take away the bitterness of some stouts but not really enough chocolate to get excited about. Poor head retention. Would try again. (184 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black as ink and opaque. Creamy tan head that is slow to dissipate. 4.25/5

S - Dark chocolate. Dark malt. Aroma is very muted. 3.5/5

T - Muted flavors. Dark chocolate and dark malt. Maybe some grassy hops. Not much to speak of. 3.5/5

M - More carbonated than expected. Medium body. Lighter than expected. 3.5/5

O - Can't say that I truly enjoyed this one. It was okay. Not bad, not good. Flavors and aroma seemed very muted to me. Was looking forward to this one but left disappointed. 3.5/5 (516 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured black with tan head. Dry mid to low carbonation. Cool light body with silky chocolate, nut, and roasted malts. Surprisingly light but with a nice balanced flavor. (169 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Very nice pour with a nice head. The taste is chocolately with no aftertaste. Really nice. I highly enjoyed it and I will certainly get it again. (161 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Poured from nitro can. Looks cool, very dark. Nitro heads are about the same, thick small bubbles with lots of carbocations rising from the bottom. Smell is malts with a hint of chocolate. Taste is what I think affected with the nitro ball, probably the last time I get a nitro ball brew unless I hear the taste is otherwise un-affected. Tasted like Guinness draught with nitro in my opinion with a bit of chocolate. Maybe I need to try the same beer but from the bottle. The beer seemed thin and not so rich as most chocolate stouts. Pretty mediocre in comparison to other chocolate stouts I have had. (602 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with a nitrogen ball. Beautiful looking beer with a creamy head. I can never tell how feel about the head of beers with nitrogen balls. They always have a strange sort of off taste to them that turns me away from it. Looking past that this beer has a pretty solid taste. Very similar to guiness extra stout with a bit more of a chocolate flare. Nothing too special but not a bad beer. (402 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful and creamy head with a pitch black texture that's impossible to see through. It has a great, complicated flavor that doesn't overpower you. (152 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -57.3%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down. (398 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank out of bottle....Shame on me. Smells decent but not strong enough to give a higher rating. Taste is fairly good too although not as thick as most stouts. Could be more creamy with a more pronounced flavor. Overall good beer but not worth six dollars as pint. Probably won't be buying this again because of the price. (325 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My issue here was perception: this was my first chocolate stout, and having a considerable sweet tooth, I was expecting some upfront chocolate flavor. Long story short, I was in the mood for chocolate, and I would have been better off to buy a chocolate bar and try this beer on a different occasion. I definitely need to revisit this one (340 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 500mL bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours black as night with foamy brown head that dissipated leaving a ring.
Smell is malty and roasted grain, with sweetness and a tone of dark chocolate.
Moutgfeel: medium carbonation, surprisingly slightly watery.
Taste is malted barley woth a dark roast, a little chocolate, slight astringency. Delicious. Very drinkable, for a stout - I have bought it before and will again. (439 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice black with minimal head that lingers very lightly thru out. No lacing for this one. Smells of dark chocolate and molasses detection. Tastes of a hint of sweet light fruit and strong chocolate. No boozy taste and very easy going and light to drink. Good to drink over n over again. Cheers (301 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer just tried my first two this weekend from a friend that gave me half of the four pack he had bought of the cans I would say it's up there with the sam Smith chocolate stout (183 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Thin, khaki head that dissipates into a sizable ring of foam. Nice lacing. Blackish body, with hues of brown.

Aroma: Very strong, with emphasis on the upfront notes of sweet grain (it's heavy on the grain), and that sweet, typical malty stout aroma. I detect a minute amount of some kind of chocolate note half-way through the drink, and as it warms. But it remains mostly sweet, grainy, and dark-roasted.

Taste: the taste is light overall, and is slightly watery. It's very grainy—toasted grains, little maltiness. It reminds me a great deal of a hearty black lager, to be honest.

Mouthfeel: creamy, light side of medium.

Overall, I am slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting more chocolate notes on the palate. Instead, it tasted much like a Guinness, which I do like. But I would have bought Guinness—not Young's—if I had wanted to drink Guinness. (888 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

On nitro @ The Collective On Tap. Really a disappointing after all the hype. Bad tap lines, or maybe this just isn't a beer to be drinking on nitro. (150 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nitro can into stout glass. Half finger pillowy tan khaki head. Dark body. Opague black. Smell is roasted malt and yeast. Super crazy smooth. Creamy. With a very so slight tingly zip for feel. Slight bitter dark chocolate and roasty malt taste. Excellent brew. Almost borderline Guinness to me but this is thicker and a bit heavier. (333 characters)

Supersmooth, taste is very rich, but not as intensive as Pale Ales or Strong stouts have. You feel like it's quite heavy, but you can easily get 3 pints without a being too drunk or full. Great experience, I tried nothing similar. You'll love it or hate it, but you do need to taste it! (286 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +4%

-Big toffee and Roasty coffee taste
-Notes of Vanilla,caramel,syrup
-fainter than expected chocolate note comes through late
-well carbonated
-roasty,chocolaty finish

Very good,though i expected more chocolate (210 characters)

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd