Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,295 | Hads: 5,477
4.58/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the first chocolate stout I've ever tried.
It was wonderful. I"m almost converting to a stout drinker rather than an IPA drinker.
There was so much going on that I'd never experienced in a beer before.
2 thumbs up!

Look: Black, like your ex girlfriend heart.
Just kidding, she doesn't have a heart, do you... Elaine?!! but, I digress.

Very nice off white creamy head that stayed constant the whole time I was drinking from my grandfathers handle mug he won by winning a lawn bowls competition.

Smell: Ahhh, The fine bouquet of chocolate malt. Not too strong yet strong enough with just a hint of cocoa.

Taste. Once again that chocolate malt comes through, not overpowering and not cloying like some stouts can be. Rich and yet subtly sweet and smooth. I could drink it all day and night through winter.

Feel: creamy, very creamy. Almost like drinking the flavored topping you put on your ice cream. Not as thick of course. It has that hard feel to it though. Exactly what you'd expect from a good stout claiming to be a good stout.

OA: As I stated; this was my first chocolate stout.
I found it very easy to drink, something even non-initiated stout drinkers could enjoy.
The roasting is pleasant and not like your drinking a camp fire (which I don't mind at all) followed by the perfectly balanced sweetness of 80% pure cocoa.
Great mouth feel and a pleasure to watch the lacing as it creates a terraced garden effect down the side of the glass after each swallow.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours dark mahogany, almost black, with a thick, creamy, khaki colored head. Smells of dark chocolate fruit. Tastes like dark chocolate milk with a hint of dark fruit. Feel is creamy and light, with mild carbonation. Overall a pretty unique and tasty stout.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: What a dark and tasty looking beverage. Super creamy head with some nice brown color to it. Almost black.

S: Aroma is outstanding. Tons of coffee and chocolate with great malt character.

T: Tastes wonderful! Each mouthful is an experience. It coats the entire palate with rich chocolate and coffee flavors with a touch of bitter on the finish.

F: Very rich and full feel. Not too much carbonation but not too little either like some other stouts. The only time there is a slight thinness is just as you are swallowing.... Time for another sip!

O: Very enjoyable overall. Would drink any day of the week but pairs best on a cold day in front of the fireplace. Best stout I've ever had.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz can into a pint glass at the "World of Beer" in Kennesaw, Georgia. Appearance- black as coal with a large tan colored head. Aroma- cocoa up front with a heavy dose of malt. Taste- chocolate and malt dominate, a very nice flavor. Overall, a very enjoyable beer.

I tried this in the cans and it was awful. No carbonation, no chocolate and very bitter. If you want to try this beer, attempt the bottle. By all means, the canned brew is a waste of money.

4.49/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coming from Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout, which is what the waiter had recommended me this in exchange, a very nice clean flavor with not heavy tons of coffee and chocolate. I'll come back to this.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours black as night with a one finger tan head that lingers and leaves a ring of lacing at the top of the glass. Aroma of lightly roasted coffee and genuine dark chocolate. Taste is semisweet chocolate, dark chocolate, and roasted coffee with a barely bitter malt finish. Creamy medium body with light carbonation. It doesn't feel sticky or have an artificial taste feel.
It's a creamy, drinkable chocolate stout that isn't artificially or chemically enhanced. It's been around a while, so I assumed it'd be good or be living off reputation. It's good and was a very nice dessert beer.

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells slightly of chocolate and moderately strong of coffee. Tastes equally of chocolate and coffee. Very nice beer. Easy to drink if you like stouts. I bought this one because it was rated fairly high on beeradvocate.com, and I would say it didn't disappoint.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500 ml bottle, Hort's bar, Bristol - Pours blakc with a large tan head which disapates fairly quickly. Nice lacing. Smell - light chocolate, roasted coffee. Taste - slight sweet choocolate feel, not overpowering, roasted malts. Nice easy drinking stout.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

L: Pours pitch black under a 3” tan foam collar that slowly recedes during the course of the drink while producing excellent lace. S: Big chocolate aroma T: The chocolate flavors from the malt and the added chocolate come in on separate layers and then blend on the palate. The added chocolate stops just short of cloying. F: The very rich and creamy texture makes this beer along with its satiating medium full body. O: A chocolaty, rich delight.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not much of a stout fan but this one gets a better rating from me than many others. I raided the look slightly lower because I think the labeling could be more intricate, but the color and the richness of the flavor does match the typography. I drink this in the bottle because I often drink dark beer is in the bottle. I drink this beer because I'm breastfeeding, and starts are known to up milk production. the flavor and smell had a rich and chocolatey espresso taste just as I expected, and not too sweet or carbonated. it was an artificial but it was still pretty better for my liking. that's simply a matter of preference though. I'll probably drink this beer again.

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%

I was very surprised when I tried this; while it felt like a stout, there was a sweetness and chocolatey taste that balanced the bitterness that was kinda amazing.

I got the nitro cans, as some others did, and it must be emphasized- in fact it can not be emphasized enough- that it was a terrible experience. This stout did not live well in a can, and did not retain carbonation or head even in spite of the nitro. Went completely, and I mean COMPLETELY flat in seconds. I've had stouts that were not marketed as chocolate, which had more flavor of chocolate, and it was so tart that I couldn't help wondering how they even called this a stout. I've had lemon shandies that weren't this acidic. I might try from a bottle later, but based on my experience with the can, it would have to be almost an entirely different beer, to pay import prices. Unless you're living in the UK, where this cheap, or have some kind of youthful nostalgia, it is not remotely worth the (roughly) $15 the six bottles will cost you in the US.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

I had it from the bottle. It is a great stout. I'm my opinion stouts are just better in nitro, but this one holds it's own in CO2. It is not super-mega chocolate tasting, but that (I feel) would be over powering. Clean finish not much after taste.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle from Mullingar Ireland. Enough sugar to take away the bitterness of some stouts but not really enough chocolate to get excited about. Poor head retention. Would try again.

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black as ink and opaque. Creamy tan head that is slow to dissipate. 4.25/5

S - Dark chocolate. Dark malt. Aroma is very muted. 3.5/5

T - Muted flavors. Dark chocolate and dark malt. Maybe some grassy hops. Not much to speak of. 3.5/5

M - More carbonated than expected. Medium body. Lighter than expected. 3.5/5

O - Can't say that I truly enjoyed this one. It was okay. Not bad, not good. Flavors and aroma seemed very muted to me. Was looking forward to this one but left disappointed. 3.5/5

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured black with tan head. Dry mid to low carbonation. Cool light body with silky chocolate, nut, and roasted malts. Surprisingly light but with a nice balanced flavor.

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Very nice pour with a nice head. The taste is chocolately with no aftertaste. Really nice. I highly enjoyed it and I will certainly get it again.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours black and tan, as you might expect. Smells like dark chocolate and biscuits. Taste is sweet and creamy, that fades to bitterness. A little thin and one-dimensional for my taste, but not bad by any stretch. Maybe too sweet to be a session beer, but it's too easy going to be anything else.

2.55/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Poured from nitro can. Looks cool, very dark. Nitro heads are about the same, thick small bubbles with lots of carbocations rising from the bottom. Smell is malts with a hint of chocolate. Taste is what I think affected with the nitro ball, probably the last time I get a nitro ball brew unless I hear the taste is otherwise un-affected. Tasted like Guinness draught with nitro in my opinion with a bit of chocolate. Maybe I need to try the same beer but from the bottle. The beer seemed thin and not so rich as most chocolate stouts. Pretty mediocre in comparison to other chocolate stouts I have had.

2.77/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with a nitrogen ball. Beautiful looking beer with a creamy head. I can never tell how feel about the head of beers with nitrogen balls. They always have a strange sort of off taste to them that turns me away from it. Looking past that this beer has a pretty solid taste. Very similar to guiness extra stout with a bit more of a chocolate flare. Nothing too special but not a bad beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful and creamy head with a pitch black texture that's impossible to see through. It has a great, complicated flavor that doesn't overpower you.

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank out of bottle....Shame on me. Smells decent but not strong enough to give a higher rating. Taste is fairly good too although not as thick as most stouts. Could be more creamy with a more pronounced flavor. Overall good beer but not worth six dollars as pint. Probably won't be buying this again because of the price.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd