Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,291 | Hads: 5,435

Overly sweet. Cloying. Disgusting. Vomit inducing.

I love a GOOD chocolate stout; ie: Brooklyn Brewery's seasonal - Black Chocolate Stout.

However, this stuff is foulness personified. People can moon on about the composition and characteristics but what matters is the taste. This beer should be poured down the drain. You couldn't pay me to drink this crap.

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down.

1.74/5  rDev -56.7%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

1.91/5  rDev -52.5%

Poured a nice black with a thin tan head. Not much light gets through.

Smells like a chocolate stout with a bit of coffee. Has a sort of chocolate syrup aroma to it.

Tastes like there is chocolate in this beer, but I can't get past this artificial taste it has. There is this weird chemical metallic taste. I could only get through a few sips of this beer.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin for the style.

Overall I did not like this one bit. Lots of people seem to like it, but not me. I didn't like it the first time. Then a few months later I picked up another bottle and got the same result. This beer has too much of an artificial taste to it. I love me some chocolate stouts, but this was a drain pour.

1.96/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The decline of the Ram. Pours a richer black color which seems viscous but when you swirl it doesn't have much sticking power. A tan colored head with good retention and lacing.

The nose has a mostly sour chocolate nose. Not much malt or beer-like smells at all. Maybe a hint of roasted malt. Some lactic and some-what oxidation aromas.

The taste is a bit off as well. A stronger malt presence comes out with a creamy chocolate flavor dominating. Some light astringency in the back end. Some phenolics with a cherry and pineapple flavor. There is a oily (not hop) that is off from the typical nitro flavors. A nasty off flavor that gives almost a DMS or off yeast flavor. Not good.

The body is smooth and although has a light feel, is still has a presence to it. Overall, I don't get it. This is not a good beer and what some perceive as nitro, I feel is more of an off slick/oily feel. Not a fan.

I tried this in the cans and it was awful. No carbonation, no chocolate and very bitter. If you want to try this beer, attempt the bottle. By all means, the canned brew is a waste of money.

I got the nitro cans, as some others did, and it must be emphasized- in fact it can not be emphasized enough- that it was a terrible experience. This stout did not live well in a can, and did not retain carbonation or head even in spite of the nitro. Went completely, and I mean COMPLETELY flat in seconds. I've had stouts that were not marketed as chocolate, which had more flavor of chocolate, and it was so tart that I couldn't help wondering how they even called this a stout. I've had lemon shandies that weren't this acidic. I might try from a bottle later, but based on my experience with the can, it would have to be almost an entirely different beer, to pay import prices. Unless you're living in the UK, where this cheap, or have some kind of youthful nostalgia, it is not remotely worth the (roughly) $15 the six bottles will cost you in the US.

2.05/5  rDev -49%

A. Average poor 2 inches of thick tan head. Good carbonation. Color is same as a cola.
S. Stout, artificial chocolate flavor. I’m already not liking this beer.
T. Like a stout with artificial chocolate flavor, mild coffee, alcohol.
M. Watery, little syrup.
O. Not very good especially for the price of $12 a 4 pack. Good buzz for 5.2%.

2.12/5  rDev -47.3%

bottled. dark pour with a thick consistency. This tasted a bit flat to me, maybe an old bottle. the chocalate flavor was nill considering the "double chocolate" label and only a mild hint of coffee. I would not buy this again at this price.

2.18/5  rDev -45.8%

A- Pours a dark brown or black color, very thick and has a really nice super foamy tannish colored head that left a good amount of lacing. Looks very different than most beers.

S- Not bad here a ton of chocolate and that's about all I can pick up. Doesn't really smell like a beer at all.

T- A little on the bitter side, with sweet malts and chocolate that dominants. Kind of reminds me of one of those Yohoo chocolate drinks.

M- Smooth, creamy but yet watery also if that makes sense.

D- I've tried this one twice now and nope I don't care for it at all.

2.18/5  rDev -45.8%

Dark brown / black, lets no light pass through. Pours a foamy, tan, 2 finger head which recedes fairly quickly. Smells of chocolate and coffee. Not great or impressive, not the worst either.

Taste is not what I expected. Chocolate and coffee are present, but the chocolate is bitter. There is also more coffee, and less chocolate, than I would have expected in a beer which has "Double Chocolate" in it's name.

Thinner than I expected, not creamy at all, not very smooth either. The carbonation also seems off. Not very enjoyable.

2.21/5  rDev -45%

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

A: Very deep brown, almost black with a nice thin cocoa colored head. Looks promising.

S: Hmm...interesting. Medicinal, with faint cocoa on the nose. A bit of coffee in there. Can't get past the medicine. Very off.

T: Ugh! First off, the chocolate I taste is very bitter bakers chocolate. Almost like imitation chocolate of some sort. Then there is this awful off taste, metallic maybe. Damn, not good. Not good at all. The finish is very bitter.

M: Very thin and unpleasant for a stout. Low carbonation.

O: Well, you win some and you lose some. With this one, I lost. Very disappointed. With a name double chocolate, I was expecting a real deep chocolate taste. Won't be picking up another one of these any time soon.

2.23/5  rDev -44.5%

16.9oz can into tulip snifter.

Pours a milk chocolate color that cascades into a frothy, creamy, tan head. After it all settles, it is a black body with a thick, creamy, light tan.

The aroma is predominately of chocolate and cocoa, with some coffee notes as well.

The taste follows the nose, with it fading from sweet chocolate upfront to lightly bitter cocoa and then to a bitter, coffee, slightly chalky like finish.

Creamy from the nitro-can, but fairly devoid of carbonation. It then finishes quite thin and watery feeling.

A pretty pour, intriguing and pleasant aroma, decent taste, but then the lack of carbonation and watery finish in the mouthfeel is so drastic it affects the taste.

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

On nitro @ The Collective On Tap. Really a disappointing after all the hype. Bad tap lines, or maybe this just isn't a beer to be drinking on nitro.

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%

A- Pours a pitch black. Light can't get through this one. Nice foam on top with good lacing.

S- Has a dark roast coffee scent with a faint chocolate to it.

T- Coffee and some bitter sweet cocoa.

M- Absolutely no carbonation. It's like a cross between a flat coke and chocolate milk.

O- Total turn off by the mouth feel. It takes away from the flavor and is extremely disappointing. Could not finish it. Will not buy this one again.

2.28/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

This used to be a really good double chocolate stout.

Now they have added what they call "real chocolate flavouring", wich from what I gather is some sort of artificial flavouring, and it shows.

It pours pitch black, and has a chocolate and coffee armoa wich is quite pleasant. But it stops there.

The flavour is very artificial, and not what it used to be. This used to be a favourite, but not anymore, wich is a damned shame.

I do not know why they added artificial flavouring, but it has ruined a real nice beer indeed.

Hope they remove this bad artificial flavouring, and return to what this used to be, a great brew.

2.33/5  rDev -42%

I was really let down by this brew - and I didn't even have any, let alone high, expectations going in. Poured well with a solid, yet quickly receding head. Smells like burnt nesquick. Tastes like chemical chocolate powder in water. WAY to thin of a body for the style. Overall, it seems like they went for some chocolate powder flavoring instead of properly malting a beer of this style. Would not return to again, especially at $6 for a bottle - I could have had 3 Victory Storm Kings for that!

2.36/5  rDev -41.3%

This was a pretty strange beer... copped a single 16.09 oz can at wine and more in west orange... pours a very odd, opaque color with a huge frothy head seen in layers... dark - black... chocolate is definitely noticeable in the smell... thick, rich chocolate... taste was pretty bitter... not to my liking at all, with a bittersweet, cocoa-espresso finish that was too rich and thick to be truly enjoyable... a little plastic ball was in the can, I guess to shake up the chocolate... wouldn't want to drink more than a few sips of this... wasn't into this brew at all... Not recommended... Young's winter warmer was great but this one didn't do it for me...

2.41/5  rDev -40%

Pours dark brown, almost black with purplish red highlights around the edges. One inch tan colored head and some nice lacing. There's a lot of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass which gives it a cola-like appearance. Aroma is slightly sour at first, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt bring up the back end of the nose. Taste is metallic, slightly sour, and only hints of dry dark chocolate, and some underlying roasted malt. I'm not sure how they call this a "double chocolate stout" as chocolate seems to be the furthest thing from the front. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. This is just not a good beer. The best before date is 6 months away and there was a nice hiss when I opened the bottle, so I don't believe it has gone bad. I think it's just not good. Maybe I'm just not crazy about British stouts in general. I would not buy this again, even though I only paid $2.50 for it.

2.41/5  rDev -40%

I fairly enjoy this beer in a bottle so I figured that I would also enjoy this same brew on nitro-tap. I was wrong. I had this at McNellie's in Tulsa on New Year's Eve. The beer had a rather nice appearance. Dark black with a never dissipating off-white nitro head floating on top, the Double Chocolate Stout was immediately inviting. The taste was another story. Sure I'm aware that the name of this brew is a Double Chocolate Stout, but it seems like this barely even qualifies as a beer. The overwhelming chocolate flavor is, of course, the first and predominant taste one gets when sipping on a nitro fueled chocolate stout. There's a slight bit of bitterness and malts that let you know that this really is a beer, but for the most this is just a glorified milk shake. Trust me, the best way to drink Young's Double Chocolate Stout is poured from a non-nitrogen induced bottle.

2.43/5  rDev -39.6%

A: Little to no head with a dark color (black with hints of brown when the beer is held against light). The beer looks fairly carbonated despite the lack of head (bubbles are continuously rising to the top of the beer).

S: Cocoa powder is by far the dominant scent of the beer; the char flavor that I find it most chocolate/coffee beers is also present, but overall the scent is not overpowering. The smell is phenomenal right before the beer hits the palate though.

T: The taste is obviously strong on chocolate, especially in the aftertaste/finish; however, unfortunately the finish is a little funky tasting. The beer is a little more watery than I expected, or at least it isn't as full as I had hoped it would be.

M: This is where my biggest problems with the beer come forth; I think the beer is far to over-carbonated in the mouth. You can't even hold it on the palate without fighting the impulse to swallow. Just a subpar mouthfeel to me.

D: This is the best aspect of the beer though, it is a very easily drinkable stout at 5.2%. It is tasty and easy not overly filling.

really disappointed w/this brew.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

This review is from notes on January 2009. Purchased what I thought was a fresh bottle out of the Craft Beer cooler at The Liquor Stop in Highland, IN. I always wanted to try this offering by Youngs but might have to try in the nitro-can the next time because i was not impressed with the taste, mouthful or drinkability. It did look very impressive on the pour and the smell had me thinking, MMM Goood! But it tasted like a watered-down Nestles Quik. I found it to lack character and I struggled just to finish the bottle.

2.52/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured into a pint glass with a nice, milk chocolatey head which slowly dissipated. Color was dark and inviting and had hints of amber around the edges when held up to a light. Was highly disappointed with the smell - it had an overpowering yeasty odor, and not in an inviting way. The smell carried over to the taste - yeasty - which did however mellow out over time into a smoother, richer, roasted malt flavor. I couldn't picture myself drinking many of these but will purchase again to give it another try to confirm my initial tasting.

2.53/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to like this beer. It has been several years and I bought one today just to revisit it.

I didn't smell much chocolate at all, hell, I smelled no chocolate. Maybe it's in the flavor! Nope, not there either. I think they forgot the chocolate in this brew. It is called DOUBLE chocolate so I really expected more from this thin, watery concoction.

There are plenty of other decent chocolate beers out there, pass this one by and pick another one up.

2.54/5  rDev -36.8%

14.9 oz. nitro-can in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark color with a light tan head.

S - Strong chocolate smell.

T - Really thin with light flavor. Some chocolate undertones.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Not a fan. This is really watery and thin and the flavor is really light.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd