2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,298 | Reviews: 2,187 | Show All Ratings:
willPS21

West Virginia

1.68/5  rDev -58.3%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

12-05-2010 01:54:05 | More by willPS21
BigTomZ

1.8/5  rDev -55.3%

Poured a nice black with a thin tan head. Not much light gets through.

Smells like a chocolate stout with a bit of coffee. Has a sort of chocolate syrup aroma to it.

Tastes like there is chocolate in this beer, but I can't get past this artificial taste it has. There is this weird chemical metallic taste. I could only get through a few sips of this beer.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin for the style.

Overall I did not like this one bit. Lots of people seem to like it, but not me. I didn't like it the first time. Then a few months later I picked up another bottle and got the same result. This beer has too much of an artificial taste to it. I love me some chocolate stouts, but this was a drain pour.

04-21-2011 05:05:59 | More by BigTomZ
Oxymoron

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The decline of the Ram. Pours a richer black color which seems viscous but when you swirl it doesn't have much sticking power. A tan colored head with good retention and lacing.

The nose has a mostly sour chocolate nose. Not much malt or beer-like smells at all. Maybe a hint of roasted malt. Some lactic and some-what oxidation aromas.

The taste is a bit off as well. A stronger malt presence comes out with a creamy chocolate flavor dominating. Some light astringency in the back end. Some phenolics with a cherry and pineapple flavor. There is a oily (not hop) that is off from the typical nitro flavors. A nasty off flavor that gives almost a DMS or off yeast flavor. Not good.

The body is smooth and although has a light feel, is still has a presence to it. Overall, I don't get it. This is not a good beer and what some perceive as nitro, I feel is more of an off slick/oily feel. Not a fan.

03-19-2008 17:43:40 | More by Oxymoron
nrbw23

2.08/5  rDev -48.4%

A- Pours a dark brown or black color, very thick and has a really nice super foamy tannish colored head that left a good amount of lacing. Looks very different than most beers.

S- Not bad here a ton of chocolate and that's about all I can pick up. Doesn't really smell like a beer at all.

T- A little on the bitter side, with sweet malts and chocolate that dominants. Kind of reminds me of one of those Yohoo chocolate drinks.

M- Smooth, creamy but yet watery also if that makes sense.

D- I've tried this one twice now and nope I don't care for it at all.

06-17-2008 08:12:23 | More by nrbw23
ChazMania

2.1/5  rDev -47.9%

bottled. dark pour with a thick consistency. This tasted a bit flat to me, maybe an old bottle. the chocalate flavor was nill considering the "double chocolate" label and only a mild hint of coffee. I would not buy this again at this price.

01-19-2007 07:55:56 | More by ChazMania
vkv822

Oregon

2.1/5  rDev -47.9%

16.9oz can into tulip snifter.

Pours a milk chocolate color that cascades into a frothy, creamy, tan head. After it all settles, it is a black body with a thick, creamy, light tan.

The aroma is predominately of chocolate and cocoa, with some coffee notes as well.

The taste follows the nose, with it fading from sweet chocolate upfront to lightly bitter cocoa and then to a bitter, coffee, slightly chalky like finish.

Creamy from the nitro-can, but fairly devoid of carbonation. It then finishes quite thin and watery feeling.

A pretty pour, intriguing and pleasant aroma, decent taste, but then the lack of carbonation and watery finish in the mouthfeel is so drastic it affects the taste.

01-05-2012 08:56:09 | More by vkv822
hardy008

2.15/5  rDev -46.7%

Dark brown / black, lets no light pass through. Pours a foamy, tan, 2 finger head which recedes fairly quickly. Smells of chocolate and coffee. Not great or impressive, not the worst either.

Taste is not what I expected. Chocolate and coffee are present, but the chocolate is bitter. There is also more coffee, and less chocolate, than I would have expected in a beer which has "Double Chocolate" in it's name.

Thinner than I expected, not creamy at all, not very smooth either. The carbonation also seems off. Not very enjoyable.

03-23-2010 00:53:28 | More by hardy008
ajzbedo73

Missouri

2.18/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

A: Very deep brown, almost black with a nice thin cocoa colored head. Looks promising.

S: Hmm...interesting. Medicinal, with faint cocoa on the nose. A bit of coffee in there. Can't get past the medicine. Very off.

T: Ugh! First off, the chocolate I taste is very bitter bakers chocolate. Almost like imitation chocolate of some sort. Then there is this awful off taste, metallic maybe. Damn, not good. Not good at all. The finish is very bitter.

M: Very thin and unpleasant for a stout. Low carbonation.

O: Well, you win some and you lose some. With this one, I lost. Very disappointed. With a name double chocolate, I was expecting a real deep chocolate taste. Won't be picking up another one of these any time soon.

02-28-2014 17:49:58 | More by ajzbedo73
stckhndlr

2.2/5  rDev -45.4%

A- Pours a pitch black. Light can't get through this one. Nice foam on top with good lacing.

S- Has a dark roast coffee scent with a faint chocolate to it.

T- Coffee and some bitter sweet cocoa.

M- Absolutely no carbonation. It's like a cross between a flat coke and chocolate milk.

O- Total turn off by the mouth feel. It takes away from the flavor and is extremely disappointing. Could not finish it. Will not buy this one again.

03-31-2011 00:45:10 | More by stckhndlr
dsa7783

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

This was a pretty strange beer... copped a single 16.09 oz can at wine and more in west orange... pours a very odd, opaque color with a huge frothy head seen in layers... dark - black... chocolate is definitely noticeable in the smell... thick, rich chocolate... taste was pretty bitter... not to my liking at all, with a bittersweet, cocoa-espresso finish that was too rich and thick to be truly enjoyable... a little plastic ball was in the can, I guess to shake up the chocolate... wouldn't want to drink more than a few sips of this... wasn't into this brew at all... Not recommended... Young's winter warmer was great but this one didn't do it for me...

Serving type: can

12-30-2007 01:02:29 | More by dsa7783
watchnerd

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

Blech! I thought the word ’chocolate’ would be metaphorical, or just a slight hint of cocoa, much like ’coffee’ is often used to denote a subtle influence. But, no, this is actually chocolate beer. I usually like beers with fruit, funk, yeast, sourness, spices, or other unusual elements. And I like porters and stouts, with Old Rasputin being one of my regular faves. But this stuff? If you like the idea of chocolate milk mixed with beer, maybe you’ll like this. Me? I poured the rest down the drain.

01-13-2008 23:07:18 | More by watchnerd
NYCWheatFanSC

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

I was really let down by this brew - and I didn't even have any, let alone high, expectations going in. Poured well with a solid, yet quickly receding head. Smells like burnt nesquick. Tastes like chemical chocolate powder in water. WAY to thin of a body for the style. Overall, it seems like they went for some chocolate powder flavoring instead of properly malting a beer of this style. Would not return to again, especially at $6 for a bottle - I could have had 3 Victory Storm Kings for that!

12-06-2009 02:14:32 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
TylerBGoode

Oklahoma

2.35/5  rDev -41.7%

I fairly enjoy this beer in a bottle so I figured that I would also enjoy this same brew on nitro-tap. I was wrong. I had this at McNellie's in Tulsa on New Year's Eve. The beer had a rather nice appearance. Dark black with a never dissipating off-white nitro head floating on top, the Double Chocolate Stout was immediately inviting. The taste was another story. Sure I'm aware that the name of this brew is a Double Chocolate Stout, but it seems like this barely even qualifies as a beer. The overwhelming chocolate flavor is, of course, the first and predominant taste one gets when sipping on a nitro fueled chocolate stout. There's a slight bit of bitterness and malts that let you know that this really is a beer, but for the most this is just a glorified milk shake. Trust me, the best way to drink Young's Double Chocolate Stout is poured from a non-nitrogen induced bottle.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-07-2011 21:06:17 | More by TylerBGoode
psujesus

2.38/5  rDev -40.9%

Wow what an amazing looking beer

poured into a pint glass from a nitro-can, pitch-black color with a 2-inch brown head, an amazing smell with tons of chocolaty goodness, i was expecting more of a milkshake taste and consistency to it, it didnt really appeal to my tastes but i did enjoy the over-chocolaty taste, wasnt as creamy/thick as i thought it would be

it seems to be a good beer but i think it'll be a long time before i try another one of these
(need more beer experience)

11-04-2009 03:59:19 | More by psujesus
KeefD

2.4/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours dark brown, almost black with purplish red highlights around the edges. One inch tan colored head and some nice lacing. There's a lot of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass which gives it a cola-like appearance. Aroma is slightly sour at first, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt bring up the back end of the nose. Taste is metallic, slightly sour, and only hints of dry dark chocolate, and some underlying roasted malt. I'm not sure how they call this a "double chocolate stout" as chocolate seems to be the furthest thing from the front. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. This is just not a good beer. The best before date is 6 months away and there was a nice hiss when I opened the bottle, so I don't believe it has gone bad. I think it's just not good. Maybe I'm just not crazy about British stouts in general. I would not buy this again, even though I only paid $2.50 for it.

01-08-2009 18:18:55 | More by KeefD
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

2.4/5  rDev -40.4%

This review is from notes on January 2009. Purchased what I thought was a fresh bottle out of the Craft Beer cooler at The Liquor Stop in Highland, IN. I always wanted to try this offering by Youngs but might have to try in the nitro-can the next time because i was not impressed with the taste, mouthful or drinkability. It did look very impressive on the pour and the smell had me thinking, MMM Goood! But it tasted like a watered-down Nestles Quik. I found it to lack character and I struggled just to finish the bottle.

02-12-2009 08:14:19 | More by cadizkyguy
jeffmonarch

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

14.9 oz. nitro-can in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark color with a light tan head.

S - Strong chocolate smell.

T - Really thin with light flavor. Some chocolate undertones.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Not a fan. This is really watery and thin and the flavor is really light.

12-25-2007 03:28:45 | More by jeffmonarch
jt31914

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

A: Little to no head with a dark color (black with hints of brown when the beer is held against light). The beer looks fairly carbonated despite the lack of head (bubbles are continuously rising to the top of the beer).

S: Cocoa powder is by far the dominant scent of the beer; the char flavor that I find it most chocolate/coffee beers is also present, but overall the scent is not overpowering. The smell is phenomenal right before the beer hits the palate though.

T: The taste is obviously strong on chocolate, especially in the aftertaste/finish; however, unfortunately the finish is a little funky tasting. The beer is a little more watery than I expected, or at least it isn't as full as I had hoped it would be.

M: This is where my biggest problems with the beer come forth; I think the beer is far to over-carbonated in the mouth. You can't even hold it on the palate without fighting the impulse to swallow. Just a subpar mouthfeel to me.

D: This is the best aspect of the beer though, it is a very easily drinkable stout at 5.2%. It is tasty and easy not overly filling.

really disappointed w/this brew.

02-08-2010 00:54:37 | More by jt31914
marlinsfan4

2.48/5  rDev -38.5%

My first try at a nitro-type container and it didn't go well. This beer looks great appearance wise, when you pour it's a tan color but then a dark color cascades down like a cloud and turns the beer all jet black.. pretty cool. I just couldn't get over how flat and watery the beer was. It was a fresh can, stored well and all, was I not pouring it right? Either way, it was so flat it made it almost drinkable.. nice lacing and all but its hard to taste the flavor when you have trouble swallowing it.

10-03-2008 23:06:40 | More by marlinsfan4
battlekow

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -38%

I reviewed Young's Double Chocolate Stout once before, but I don't think I was ready to appreciate it at the time; however, now that I've delved more deeply into the world of stouts and porters, I think I'll give it another shot.

This is probably the best-looking beer I've ever had. It pours an almost opaque black that's capped by an extremely creamy chocolate-colored head. But the best part is the effect given by the carbonation as it's reabsorbed into the liquid: it looks like an hourglass, the brown bubbles "falling" down into the black abyss at the bottom of the glass.

Smells of coffee and chocolate, but not very strongly. Tastes and feels watery, like Guinness meets Newcastle. Very disappointing. Again, a very slight bit of coffee and chocolate, and a pleasant roasted bitterness, but there's just not a lot here.

Well, when I saw what it looked like, I was sure I was going to love it, but not so. Beautiful, thin, and boring--Young's Double Chocolate Stout would be popular in high school.

09-27-2005 20:41:30 | More by battlekow
DaveEcenrode

2.5/5  rDev -38%

Appearance- Dark Dark Dark Body, the head was a light peanut butter color about 2 finger head that lasted throughout. Lacing was all over the glass...very nice

Smell- I got a slight cocoa-ish smell, but seemed to smell like any other stout

Taste- The taste was not what I was expecting at all. I tasted nothing chocolate, nothing really sweet, basically I got a beer that tasted like a re-labeled GUINNESS...not fond of the flavoring

Mouthfeel- Slightly reminiscent of chewing on a tire just after a 10 second burnout, like I said with the taste, the mouthfeel is the same as the taste, Guinness-like.

Overall, definitely would not seek this one out again, unless it has been changed to include some carbonation or gained some bitterness. Good luck to all who give this Stout a whirl!!

12-04-2013 02:02:39 | More by DaveEcenrode
jhu1995

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured into a pint glass with a nice, milk chocolatey head which slowly dissipated. Color was dark and inviting and had hints of amber around the edges when held up to a light. Was highly disappointed with the smell - it had an overpowering yeasty odor, and not in an inviting way. The smell carried over to the taste - yeasty - which did however mellow out over time into a smoother, richer, roasted malt flavor. I couldn't picture myself drinking many of these but will purchase again to give it another try to confirm my initial tasting.

07-16-2005 02:46:11 | More by jhu1995
sendsilk

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to like this beer. It has been several years and I bought one today just to revisit it.

I didn't smell much chocolate at all, hell, I smelled no chocolate. Maybe it's in the flavor! Nope, not there either. I think they forgot the chocolate in this brew. It is called DOUBLE chocolate so I really expected more from this thin, watery concoction.

There are plenty of other decent chocolate beers out there, pass this one by and pick another one up.

04-24-2011 00:52:56 | More by sendsilk
smakawhat

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured into a pint glass given off a very nice 2 finger head of a perfect light brown. Minimal lacing with a dark brown walnut body. Ring and bubble marks stay throughout leaving a nice light brown easy circle.

Smell of faint milk chocolate, some minor cream whiffs. not much else though, but it's quite pleasant.

Taste disappoints a bit, with a very soda pop tingle like carbonation on the tongue. Aftertaste is almost exclusively watered down club soda and carbon dioxide. Where is the flavor in this beer where did it go on the palate from what I smelled before? There is an extremely faint note of whipped chocolate on the end but it's nearly impossibly to detected because of all the fizz. This is also very wet in body. Malt where art thou?

Don't want another one.

12-20-2010 23:54:16 | More by smakawhat
MLegendre

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -36%

A: Wow... I must say I'm quite amazed at the formation of the head on this thing. I could watch that all day. After it settles it leaves a 1/2in white creamy head. Looks kind of like ice cream The body of the beer is black with some ruby highlights. The only thing keeping me from giving this a five is the fact that it really dosn't look like beer, more like a milkshake or something.

S: Smells good, very chocolatey, but dosn't really smell like a beer. Smells more like Nesquick. There is a hint of alcohol to the nose.

T: I was glad that it didn't taste as chocolatey as it smelled. I was actually especting this to be stronger than it was. Slighty bitter with a sweet roasted malts and chocolate dominating. Has a bitter coffee like aftertaste. Chocolate tastes pretty artificial. Reminds me of Guinness mixed with Nesquick.

M: Completly flat and kind of watery. This is killing it for me.

D: Watching the head form on this is definiatly it's strongest point . Taste-wise it was a decent stout, but I really can't stand how flat and watery it was. If it had at least some carbonation, and maybe a fuller body I would like it a lot more.

08-14-2006 06:27:10 | More by MLegendre