Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

SteveRod, Jan 04, 2012

dfaranha, Jan 29, 2012

moonchyldcrab82, Jan 08, 2012

HamieLRS, Dec 26, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -58.2%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

willPS21, Dec 05, 2010

Randysavage, Nov 03, 2013

Tgmckinn, Apr 01, 2012

Wordslinger, May 06, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -55.2%

Poured a nice black with a thin tan head. Not much light gets through.

Smells like a chocolate stout with a bit of coffee. Has a sort of chocolate syrup aroma to it.

Tastes like there is chocolate in this beer, but I can't get past this artificial taste it has. There is this weird chemical metallic taste. I could only get through a few sips of this beer.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin for the style.

Overall I did not like this one bit. Lots of people seem to like it, but not me. I didn't like it the first time. Then a few months later I picked up another bottle and got the same result. This beer has too much of an artificial taste to it. I love me some chocolate stouts, but this was a drain pour.

BigTomZ, Apr 21, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The decline of the Ram. Pours a richer black color which seems viscous but when you swirl it doesn't have much sticking power. A tan colored head with good retention and lacing.

The nose has a mostly sour chocolate nose. Not much malt or beer-like smells at all. Maybe a hint of roasted malt. Some lactic and some-what oxidation aromas.

The taste is a bit off as well. A stronger malt presence comes out with a creamy chocolate flavor dominating. Some light astringency in the back end. Some phenolics with a cherry and pineapple flavor. There is a oily (not hop) that is off from the typical nitro flavors. A nasty off flavor that gives almost a DMS or off yeast flavor. Not good.

The body is smooth and although has a light feel, is still has a presence to it. Overall, I don't get it. This is not a good beer and what some perceive as nitro, I feel is more of an off slick/oily feel. Not a fan.

Oxymoron, Mar 19, 2008