Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,277 | Hads: 5,379
2.82/5  rDev -30%

I am very disappointed by this beer. I was expecting much much more chocolate, but there is only a slight smell of chocolate and a bland aftertaste of chocolate. I see many good reviews of this beer, so I'm think I got a bad bottle. I bought two bottles, if the second tastes better I'll do a second review. It was dated September 30, 2009. I don't know if this was the best by date or the bottled on date. If it was the best by date it could explain why I disliked it as much as I did.

The appearance is the best part. I poured a 500mL bottle into a 25oz snifter and the head came right up to the top. The color of the beer is nearly black, with a billowing chocolate colored head.

It doesn't smell very good. I can smell the chocolate and a hint of alcohol, but the chocolate should be more pronounced.

It doesn't taste very much like chocolate as I said above. In fact there is a burnt nuttyness that is more prominent than the chocolate.

This is not what I expect a stout to feel like in my mouth. I know the distinctions between a stout and a porter isn't clear, but I tend to associate thicker beers with stouts and the thinner version with porters. If you asked me what this was I would have told you a porter. It is just a bit too thin for me.

Considering how thin this beer is it goes down real easy, so I can easily see myself drinking 2 or 3 of these... if I liked it more. (1,394 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Half inch thick head, very good retention. Pitch black color.

S - Smells a little bit like hot chocolate, but more on the bitter side.

T - Up front it's kind of grainy like hot chocolate mix, the aftertaste is bitter but slightly watery and some alcohol is detectable.

M - Almost no carbonation so it's smooth.

D - It's an okay stout. I don't know if I would buy this one again. (395 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

500ml nitro-can served into De Molen stemware in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. I've had this before in its other forms and it was pretty good. I'm glad they went with the nitro-can for this; it would probably be ruined in a regular can. Expectations are pretty high.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of lovely cream, good thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a solid black.

Sm: Chocolate, nuts, and heavy cream. Moderately strong.

T: Very creamy but the chocolate is unfortunately restrained. Slight nuts. It's a bit bland and simple for a chocolate beer, but it's still pretty good. I preferred it on nitro-draught. Balanced but badly built.

Mf: Creamy, smooth, and wet. Sort of suits the flavour, but not really.

Dr: They should just brew a cream ale and be done with it. The emphasis here isn't on the chocolate - contrary to the epithet. Very drinkable but also quite forgettable (at least out of the nitrocan). I won't be purchasing this again. (987 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

A- Black, with a billowing off-white head that loses it's mass pretty quickly.

S- Chocolate, backed up by sweet malts.

T- Vague chocolate sweetness- no real depth to the choco-ness;it's just there amongst the roasted malt and the sharp bitterness imparted by the hops.

MF&D- To me, it's pretty rough on the palette. Too much carbonation and bitterness don't mix well with the chocolate, here. Maybe cask-conditioning would even everything out, but all in all, I think there are alot of breweries here in the US making much better exmaples of the chocolate/sweet stout style (583 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

Nitro can. Color as expected, lackluster head (thin to non existent). Slight stout scent. Mild taste, think guinness lite...hint of chocolate. Not a bad beer but something I won't go out of my way for. (205 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29%

Maybe it's the astingestry of the chocolate, like malted milk balls combined with matalic steel taste - not to my liking - chalkiness at the finish, dry, not bad just not my style - otherwise ok on all accounts not for me though. Good dark no see through look, metalic (268 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29%

pours pitch black. even when held up to light. nice creamy head.

smells like dark chocolate liqueur and a little roasted coffee

no carbonation. viscous texture. no hops. it's basically like liquid chocolate, much less sweet, much less fruitier. 1 dimensional. flat bland like water. like a guiness kind of. creamy.

not my favorite. there's a ton of chocolate stouts i would drink before this.

bad can? is it cause of the nitro? i dunno (439 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29%

I wasn't at all impressed with this beer. It looked very promising, poured thick and black. It smelled fairly decent as well, chocolaty, as the label promises. The taste was a disappointment to me. There was no chocolate taste and little malt. It was very watery and not at all satisfying. I gave it a good drinkability because its easy to throw back, but neither I or my roommate finished our glasses. It's just not worth the space in my stomach. (447 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29%

I can name that tune in one note... insipid. I'm sorry, but if you want chocolate, try a bottle of Yahoo with a shot of vodka. Or better yet, a small glass of Bailey's and call it close enough. I try to respect beer, so I will never again review one of these milk things (unless I find one that good, or OK, or even acceptable).

9-27-09 I have to give this beer another look. I give the appearance and extra 0.5 and the taste an extra point for the chocolate taste which is there (but still weak). (498 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -28.8%

I had this on tap once a long time ago, remembered it being decent, and having enjoyed many chocolate stouts since then, I decided to revisit.

My first shot was the can, and it was a big disappointment. Mouthfeel was extremely watery; like Guinness Draught. The flavor was very feint compared to other chocolate stouts, though it was still at least slightly better than a macrobrew. Appearance was better than expected as the large can does not allow the same careful pour as a bottle; this caused extra foam, which mixed into the beer creating a rich creamy mocha look which was unfortunately not in keeping with the taste.

I decided to give the bottle a shot the next night thinking that maybe the can was just not the real deal. The mouthfeel was slightly better, with a heavier, grainier carbonation and slightly thicker consistency. Flavor was still very subdued, the chocolate notes seemed to get stronger towards the bottom of the glass but were still a mere fraction of what you get from other chocolate stouts. Appearance was not as forgiving as from the can; a careful pour produced virtually no head, exposing the stout's relatively meager consistency.

On the upside, both the can and bottle forms of this beer were at least fairly quaffable, owing to the watery consistency and unnoffensive (if unrewarding) taste. It was easy to drink but each sip left me unsatisfied, looking for more.

All in all I don't understand why this brew has been so well reviewed. The can version tastes like a mix of 2 parts Guiness Draught, 1 part Bell's Double Cream. The bottle feels like maybe a 50/50 mix. It's not the worst stout out there, but it's a far cry from other highly rated stouts. Bell's Special Double, Old Rasputin and Founder's Breakfast Stout all have a much more successful chocolate presence than Young's, aside from being far richer in all other respects. When you bring Southern Tier's various chocolate brews into the mix, there is not even a sliver of contest.

I can see how if you're used to Guinness and Murphy's, and haven't tried a lot of richer stouts, then Young's might seem more familiar and easier to take. If it's on tap and there aren't any other microbrew stouts on the menu, I might do it (I also remember the tap version being MUCH thicker). However, the fact that so many experienced beer fans have rated it so highly baffles me. Young's is also a little pricey; why pay more for a mediocre beer? (2,434 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -28.3%

Best Before 10 March 2010 printed on the bottom of the can.

Purple-brown, very dark, the only light coming from the bottom dip of the wine glass I'm drinking it from. Poured out a mix of foam and beer. Head is knit like 600 thread count sheets and perfect stout tan/khaki/beige. I'm close to scoring this a 5 for looks. Wall-like lacing.

Milk chocolate, malted milk balls, chocolate soft serve. Plain old Hershey's milk chocolate. Plum. It does one-dimension well.

Very much the taste of the nose with hints of fusel alcohol even at pretty cool temps. Falls towards the chocolate soft serve, which I don't fancy. the can, as I know it's fresh and free of tap line contamination, has more flavor than my experience with this on tap. If a soft serve vanilla beer showed up I'd be game.

No carb prickle whatsoever. Essence of smooth, beating out Black Butte Porter and Firestone Walker DBA, two that set new standards of smoothness in mouthfeel for me recently. Creamy. Can tend towards chalky.

I just don't think this is an excellent brew (deserving of an A). I can't bring myself to. A for average in my notebook. (1,119 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -28.3%

Nice contrast between the creamy head and dark body. Nice chocolatey smell. Otherwise, nothing special at all about this over rated stout. The taste is thin and bitter and the mouthfeel is watery, especially for a stout. The chocolate barely comes through, and then only as a bitter top note. Meh. (297 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -28.3%

Perhaps I over anticipated what I was about to drink, but this was an average stout only with the barest hint of chocolate aftertaste
If chocolate wasnt on the label I would not have picked it.
The colour was jet black with a tan foamy head.The smell was malt dominated and harsh.The first taste is gingerish and bitter nd finishes with a smoothish hint of chocolate.
There was virtually no carbonation and an indistinct bitterness in the mouth.
This was disappointing for the high aspirations I held ,however a reasonable stout all the same (545 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28%

Reviewed 15/01/2008

Appearance: Black colour with a big tanned cap. Quickly started to settle, but eventually stay an inch with lots of lace.

Aroma: Cherry, chocolate, dark ripe fruit, sweet.

Taste: Milky, sweet, cloying nestle quick syrup flavour.

Mouthfeel: Thinner in body than expected.

Final Statement: Started off ok, but ended up being poured out. No drinkability for me at all. (392 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -27.5%

A smooth and solid black appearance with a 4 inch beige head. It's got a strong chocolate milk laced with alcohol aroma which would be a lot nicer if the alcohol level was lowered. Initial taste is of chocolate milk and a healthy dose of alcohol. Some roasted coffee flavor follow and lingers in the after taste. I much prefer the second half of this flavor profile. Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied, just as one should expect from a nitro can. Overall, the strong alcohol presence in this one severely limits its potential for me. I know I should like it, everyone else seems to, but I just do not get what everyone else is getting. Had it a couple times and each experience has been the same, whether in the can or om tap. (729 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

Widget can, thanks piscator34 Dark brown with a full off-white foamy head, ultra-sticky. Aroma is very malty with rusty crystal malt tones lifting almond, brown chocolate (nutella?), and vanilla flavours. It's actually unpleasant to me when fresh, but at room temperature, it gets tolerable although definitely not a beer I particularly enjoy. It's very sweet, nutty and with honest chocolate milk peaks, but rather tart and cloying with metallic astringency. Pretty thin bodied although quite creamy and smooth. (512 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance: Very dark, not completely black. Creamy brown head, dissipates very quickly. Some lacing on the side of the glass.
Nose: I mainly get hops in the nose, which is surprising. Some chocolate notes and a boozy smell too.
Taste: Sweet chocolate - like the chocolate easter bunnies. Not too much hoppyness in the taste as the smell indicated. A little coffee taste, but mostly chocolate.
Mouthfeel: It's pretty thick, but not too much. Very little carbonation - I think it could have used a bit more.
Drinkability: Pretty good, this never struck me as very heavy. I don't know what the ABV is, but it seems pretty low.
Overall: I thought this was decent. I may have served it too warm, but there didn't seem to be a very strong body to this one. Chocolate came through the most, but it lacked bitterness. On the other hand, it seems to be a more refreshing type stout. Not too heavy, but not a lot too it. (913 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

Black body below a brown head that leaves traces of lace. Carbonation is subtle but enough to give the palate a sting

Chocolate of course, is the prominent theme here. Not the bakers variety. This is more like a rich dark chocolate that oils down the palate and really makes it difficult to pick up anything else. Its that strong! of a taste. It is a good beer, don't get me wrong, I just think its rather boring to be honest. A melted chocolate bar without any balancer.

Hersheys chocolate to the point. Squeeze some hershey's on a batch of vanilla Ice Cream and you have Young's double chocolate. That being the very rudimentary version it is more comples than that. (675 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27%

Appearance: Dark dark brown, almost black, but not really. Head is a light brown and starts of creamy and large. Drops to a small creamy cap and collar. Spotty notches of lacing. Pours pretty smooth.

Smell: Solid roasted malts. Chocolate malts and some dark chocolate fused with some lighter, sweeter chocolate notes. Almost like a burly Tootsie Roll. Underlying touches of English water. Rocks and chocolate. A touch of leafy hops. Lactose sugar, milky sweet. Pretty mellow overall.

Taste: Lightly roasted malt. Some chocolate malt. A touch of burnt, mild dark cocoa. Almost watery on the finish. Some backing minerality. Grassy. Old, stale coffee. Slightly sweet lactose. Very mild. A nice balance of sweet and roasty. A good amount of chocolate, but that's as far as it goes.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with a touch of dryness on the finish. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Using the word chocolate twice does not make it double.

A solid intro stout. Loaded with chocolate, but a little thin overall. Seems to lose more and more as it warms. (1,051 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27%

A - very dark and LONG lasting tight head.

S - chocolate but very mild.

T - all chocolate, but very mild and thin.

M - for how dark it is and the solid foam I was expecting a much heavier brew.

D - it is so thin that it almost seems like a light beer. Maybe as a mild dessert drink... but I will probably pass (313 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

Had this from a nitro-can. The date 23 JUN 08 is printed in the bottom of the can. I assume it's a "best before" date.

Appearance = Nice nitro cascade. Finger-wide head that stays. Nice lacing. Dark color - pretty much black.

Smell = Sweet ovaltine with heavy malt.

Taste = More or less same as smell but with some bitterness. Bitter chocolate with some sweetness and fairly heavy malt flavor. Hints of cherries and oak. A bit of a weird metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel = Pretty smooth. Slight astringent finish. Very light mouthfeel. The beer has a watery quality to it.

Drinkability = Sorry but I didn't really like it at all. The slight, off metallic flavor, added to the watery feel of the beer wasn't enjoyable to me. Can't say I'll try it again. (751 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -26.6%

Bottle. Pours very dark brown with a thick tan head. Weak aroma of bitter chocolate. The taste was like chocolate coke or doctor pepper with chocolate syrup added. Both the aroma and the taste was somewhat lacking. It seemed to have very high carbonation. The entire experience reminded me of drinking soda. (307 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a thin layer of dense cocoa-colored cream on dark chocolate beer.

My fridge is too cold to keep beer as I barely smell or taste much at first, and the body seems rather thin for a stout. Crystal and dark malts sneak up on my palate only after a swallow. Then the roasted barley bite keeps me trying for a while, but no I'm sorry. Lost interest about a third of the way in. (382 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -26.6%

A- Looked like chocolate milk when I first started to pour it. After it settled it became nice and black with 2 fingers worth of tan head sitting on top that lasted forever.The head leaves nice thick lace on the glass.

S- Very strong chocolate smell and some roasted malts.

T- Sweet and bittersweet chocolate totally dominates the taste at first. The finish is mostly of very lightly
roasted coffee and malts. After a while the chocolate started to taste artificial or added after the fact.

M- Felt very thin to me, almost watery. I am definitely a fan of heavier stouts and this one is just really light. It was very smooth however.

D- Very sessionable stout.

I would have this beer again but would not go out of my way for it. I would like to try it on tap though. (775 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

a. nice sexy black malty black

s, ooo malty goodness. coffe a little, im straining for the chocolate.

t. there;s the chocolate. really beautiful complex coffee coming through. its really beatiful, except for the super light guinness feel....

m. light, nitro, carbon

d. its drinkable. (287 characters)

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd