Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
KeefD

2.4/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours dark brown, almost black with purplish red highlights around the edges. One inch tan colored head and some nice lacing. There's a lot of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass which gives it a cola-like appearance. Aroma is slightly sour at first, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt bring up the back end of the nose. Taste is metallic, slightly sour, and only hints of dry dark chocolate, and some underlying roasted malt. I'm not sure how they call this a "double chocolate stout" as chocolate seems to be the furthest thing from the front. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. This is just not a good beer. The best before date is 6 months away and there was a nice hiss when I opened the bottle, so I don't believe it has gone bad. I think it's just not good. Maybe I'm just not crazy about British stouts in general. I would not buy this again, even though I only paid $2.50 for it.

01-08-2009 18:18:55 | More by KeefD
jeffmonarch

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

14.9 oz. nitro-can in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark color with a light tan head.

S - Strong chocolate smell.

T - Really thin with light flavor. Some chocolate undertones.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Not a fan. This is really watery and thin and the flavor is really light.

12-25-2007 03:28:45 | More by jeffmonarch
jt31914

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

A: Little to no head with a dark color (black with hints of brown when the beer is held against light). The beer looks fairly carbonated despite the lack of head (bubbles are continuously rising to the top of the beer).

S: Cocoa powder is by far the dominant scent of the beer; the char flavor that I find it most chocolate/coffee beers is also present, but overall the scent is not overpowering. The smell is phenomenal right before the beer hits the palate though.

T: The taste is obviously strong on chocolate, especially in the aftertaste/finish; however, unfortunately the finish is a little funky tasting. The beer is a little more watery than I expected, or at least it isn't as full as I had hoped it would be.

M: This is where my biggest problems with the beer come forth; I think the beer is far to over-carbonated in the mouth. You can't even hold it on the palate without fighting the impulse to swallow. Just a subpar mouthfeel to me.

D: This is the best aspect of the beer though, it is a very easily drinkable stout at 5.2%. It is tasty and easy not overly filling.

really disappointed w/this brew.

02-08-2010 00:54:37 | More by jt31914
oriolesfan4

2.48/5  rDev -38.5%

My first try at a nitro-type container and it didn't go well. This beer looks great appearance wise, when you pour it's a tan color but then a dark color cascades down like a cloud and turns the beer all jet black.. pretty cool. I just couldn't get over how flat and watery the beer was. It was a fresh can, stored well and all, was I not pouring it right? Either way, it was so flat it made it almost drinkable.. nice lacing and all but its hard to taste the flavor when you have trouble swallowing it.

10-03-2008 23:06:40 | More by oriolesfan4
inanity

03-05-2014 20:56:43 | More by inanity
John_Rendleman

04-10-2014 02:19:37 | More by John_Rendleman
DaveEcenrode

2.5/5  rDev -38%

Appearance- Dark Dark Dark Body, the head was a light peanut butter color about 2 finger head that lasted throughout. Lacing was all over the glass...very nice

Smell- I got a slight cocoa-ish smell, but seemed to smell like any other stout

Taste- The taste was not what I was expecting at all. I tasted nothing chocolate, nothing really sweet, basically I got a beer that tasted like a re-labeled GUINNESS...not fond of the flavoring

Mouthfeel- Slightly reminiscent of chewing on a tire just after a 10 second burnout, like I said with the taste, the mouthfeel is the same as the taste, Guinness-like.

Overall, definitely would not seek this one out again, unless it has been changed to include some carbonation or gained some bitterness. Good luck to all who give this Stout a whirl!!

12-04-2013 02:02:39 | More by DaveEcenrode
brennonos

07-24-2014 01:43:48 | More by brennonos
aranton

03-27-2013 01:07:08 | More by aranton
battlekow

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -38%

I reviewed Young's Double Chocolate Stout once before, but I don't think I was ready to appreciate it at the time; however, now that I've delved more deeply into the world of stouts and porters, I think I'll give it another shot.

This is probably the best-looking beer I've ever had. It pours an almost opaque black that's capped by an extremely creamy chocolate-colored head. But the best part is the effect given by the carbonation as it's reabsorbed into the liquid: it looks like an hourglass, the brown bubbles "falling" down into the black abyss at the bottom of the glass.

Smells of coffee and chocolate, but not very strongly. Tastes and feels watery, like Guinness meets Newcastle. Very disappointing. Again, a very slight bit of coffee and chocolate, and a pleasant roasted bitterness, but there's just not a lot here.

Well, when I saw what it looked like, I was sure I was going to love it, but not so. Beautiful, thin, and boring--Young's Double Chocolate Stout would be popular in high school.

09-27-2005 20:41:30 | More by battlekow

01-11-2013 01:34:10 | More by anvilx
sendsilk

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to like this beer. It has been several years and I bought one today just to revisit it.

I didn't smell much chocolate at all, hell, I smelled no chocolate. Maybe it's in the flavor! Nope, not there either. I think they forgot the chocolate in this brew. It is called DOUBLE chocolate so I really expected more from this thin, watery concoction.

There are plenty of other decent chocolate beers out there, pass this one by and pick another one up.

04-24-2011 00:52:56 | More by sendsilk
jhu1995

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured into a pint glass with a nice, milk chocolatey head which slowly dissipated. Color was dark and inviting and had hints of amber around the edges when held up to a light. Was highly disappointed with the smell - it had an overpowering yeasty odor, and not in an inviting way. The smell carried over to the taste - yeasty - which did however mellow out over time into a smoother, richer, roasted malt flavor. I couldn't picture myself drinking many of these but will purchase again to give it another try to confirm my initial tasting.

07-16-2005 02:46:11 | More by jhu1995