Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,360 | Reviews: 2,334

Delicious stout, dark with strong flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

i had high hopes for this beer and was let down needs alot more chocolate flavor, its there but hardly

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark and flavorful one of the best beers I've had.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Mouthfeel was a little thin. Great flavor.

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

A roaring wave of chocolate and cherry. Really good but I could only drink one at a time.

Amazing period Perfect in every way

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

A million better chocolate stouts out there. The fact that this is rated so high makes me question this website. Very disappointed in this beer.

2.55/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Poured from nitro can. Looks cool, very dark. Nitro heads are about the same, thick small bubbles with lots of carbocations rising from the bottom. Smell is malts with a hint of chocolate. Taste is what I think affected with the nitro ball, probably the last time I get a nitro ball brew unless I hear the taste is otherwise un-affected. Tasted like Guinness draught with nitro in my opinion with a bit of chocolate. Maybe I need to try the same beer but from the bottle. The beer seemed thin and not so rich as most chocolate stouts. Pretty mediocre in comparison to other chocolate stouts I have had.

2.77/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with a nitrogen ball. Beautiful looking beer with a creamy head. I can never tell how feel about the head of beers with nitrogen balls. They always have a strange sort of off taste to them that turns me away from it. Looking past that this beer has a pretty solid taste. Very similar to guiness extra stout with a bit more of a chocolate flare. Nothing too special but not a bad beer.

Outstanding not to strong just the right taste.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful creamy head and a pitch black texture that's impossible to see through. Great, complicated flavor that doesn't overpower you.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Great with chocolate chip cookies

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

Deep roasted chocolate and sweet nutty toffee. Rich, creamy, yummy.

just ok, much better out there

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank out of bottle....Shame on me. Smells decent but not strong enough to give a higher rating. Taste is fairly good too although not as thick as most stouts. Could be more creamy with a more pronounced flavor. Overall good beer but not worth six dollars as pint. Probably won't be buying this again because of the price.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My issue here was perception: this was my first chocolate stout, and having a considerable sweet tooth, I was expecting some upfront chocolate flavor. Long story short, I was in the mood for chocolate, and I would have been better off to buy a chocolate bar and try this beer on a different occasion. I definitely need to revisit this one

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Nothing spectacular but a good all around stout. I was hoping for more chocolate and maybe a little thicker on the body.but a good stout nonetheless

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

It tastes like chocolate is very good, I ate with chocolate donut and really its a good companion with beer one.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 500mL bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours black as night with foamy brown head that dissipated leaving a ring.
Smell is malty and roasted grain, with sweetness and a tone of dark chocolate.
Moutgfeel: medium carbonation, surprisingly slightly watery.
Taste is malted barley woth a dark roast, a little chocolate, slight astringency. Delicious. Very drinkable, for a stout - I have bought it before and will again.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice black with minimal head that lingers very lightly thru out. No lacing for this one. Smells of dark chocolate and molasses detection. Tastes of a hint of sweet light fruit and strong chocolate. No boozy taste and very easy going and light to drink. Good to drink over n over again. Cheers

4.59/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Super elegant.
Potser el cacau massa evident, però és addictiva.
Regal d'en Jaume Malet.

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer just tried my first two this weekend from a friend that gave me half of the four pack he had bought of the cans I would say it's up there with the sam Smith chocolate stout

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Thin, khaki head that dissipates into a sizable ring of foam. Nice lacing. Blackish body, with hues of brown.

Aroma: Very strong, with emphasis on the upfront notes of sweet grain (it's heavy on the grain), and that sweet, typical malty stout aroma. I detect a minute amount of some kind of chocolate note half-way through the drink, and as it warms. But it remains mostly sweet, grainy, and dark-roasted.

Taste: the taste is light overall, and is slightly watery. It's very grainy—toasted grains, little maltiness. It reminds me a great deal of a hearty black lager, to be honest.

Mouthfeel: creamy, light side of medium.

Overall, I am slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting more chocolate notes on the palate. Instead, it tasted much like a Guinness, which I do like. But I would have bought Guinness—not Young's—if I had wanted to drink Guinness.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd