2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Ratings: 4,295 | Reviews: 2,187 | Show All Ratings:
mtboozeaddict41

Montana

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Awesome old school english label. Excited to try this one, I've heard many things of this one.

A: Unbelievably dark and cloudy. Literally looks like thick brown sludge except for the fact that it has a flawless mocha head. retention is unprecedented, really it is. This is head for the ages.

S: Straightforward bouquet of mocha chocolate and beautifully rich sweet malt. thin aromatics all around.

T: Wow!!! this is a gulp full. Huge chocolate body, small bubbles on a large scale of carbonation make this a first for moi. Light malt noticed. Surprisingly very light on the palate and lightly chocolate bitter finishing in hints of dark chocolate and toffee. mmmm, I'm noticing a happening of chocolate in this one. Dig this

M: Strange for the fact this is my first experience dealing with a beer with a uncarbonated feel. I'm not sure whats going on here but this might be a nitro can.

O: killa brew. I'll recommend this one for sure. Definitely lives up to the name and definitely pleases this chocolate fan.

10-18-2013 04:15:52 | More by mtboozeaddict41
DJScroggins

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

jet black. creamy, frothy mocha head. head is huge and stays. thick, foamy lacing.

dark chocolate and roasted coffee malts on nose. sweet vanilla hints.

taste is very close to smell. chocolate is there, coffee malts. vanilla emerges with repeated sips and black licorice hints appear as well.

very light bodied. no carbonation. smooth.

young's such a beautiful beer with its frothy mocha head. prevalent chocolate notes are a trait i value in stouts. unfortunately, the body of this stout is too thin, almost watery, and always leaves me wanting more. an above average milk stout that remains a sentimental favorite.

09-17-2013 02:06:55 | More by DJScroggins
whitty

This is my perfect beer. Dark rich beer that carbonates to a full rich head which delivers a strong and rich aroma of a proper stout. Its appearance also delivers on taste. A rich stout with a subtle chocolate taste if not also coffee. I have introduced many to this beer and have never had any complaints. Some have said upon their first taste that they usually don't like dark beers but particularly like this one.

09-14-2013 23:33:48 | More by whitty
Samp01

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

550ml can. Pours a rich thick black with a medium beige head. Has very good head retention and lacing that last throughout. Aroma of dark chocolate malt some caramel. Taste is sweet dark chocolate malt some mild roasty flavor with light bitterness. Palate is a full rich creamy, slightly oily mouth feel, mild carbonation. Has a nice dark chocolate malt. mild roasty lightly bitter ending. A very rich, creamy and flavorful brew, very enjoyable.

07-10-2013 19:57:51 | More by Samp01
timn

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my guilty pleasures (I say guilty because I can feel the calories accumulating when I drink this).

A: Pours dark brown to black, with a nice foamy head. Looks nice and thick.

S: You can immediately smell the chocolate, with some nice coffee / mocha and malt undertones. Really nice smell to start. Some beers don't live up to the name, but you can tell by the smell alone that when it says 'Double Chocolate,' that's what you're getting.

T: Tastes very much like it smells, maybe just a smidgen less: strong chocolate, with a hint of coffee and some malt. Probably the strongest chocolate taste I've had in a chocolate stout -- which again, would be expected by the name.

M: Wonderful mouth feel. Smooth and thick. Low carbonation. This sucker is almost like a beer shake.

O: One of my favorites. A very nice chocolate stout that lives up to its name. Feels like an indulgence when I drink it (truthfully I have no idea if it has any more calories than any other dark beer, but it feels like it... but then if I was watching calories, I wouldn't be drinking a Double Chocolate Stout to begin with).

02-15-2013 02:51:02 | More by timn
pistola

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Surprised when poured into mug. Almost looked like milk at first. Very dark almost black in color. Less carbonated than I thought it would be. Full of chocolate hints and some nutty flavor as well. I really couldn't even taste much alcohol. Very easy to drink. Now, I like these beers, some don't, but if your into a dark stout, I think you will enjoy this. excellent finish. ABV is still 5.2 so they do a bit of a kick but not overwhelming if you have a few. I enjoyed it and would buy again. I would really like to try it on tap. Enjoy!!

11-22-2012 15:14:00 | More by pistola
jimmah120

14.9oz can into mason jar

Look is a dark brown with a 1-finger mocha head and brilliant rising nitro bubbles. Smell is powdered cocoa and coffee grounds. Taste is rich, creamy, malty, and smooth cocoa with a coffee underbelly.

Very smooth and silky, not a knockout flavor-wise, but still extremely enjoyable.

09-02-2012 08:04:25 | More by jimmah120
osusullins

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

I saw double chocolate stout and thought to myself, "self, you need to try this."

Poured out of a can into a pint glass.

Appearance is nice. It looks like a good stout. Black and milky with a tan head clinging to the glass.

Not much on the nose. The dark chocolate and vanilla are there, but very faint. Not much there regarding aroma.

The taste is very dry. The dark chocolate is pronounced initially, with a vanilla bitterness that finishes it off. Very creamy and full bodied. Extremely smooth. Think of a chocolate Boddington's and you would have this beer exactly. It is definitly dark chocolate as the cocoa flavor is bitter and dry. Not sweet at all. A very decent stout, but not as sweet as I would expect a milk/sweet stout to taste.

I don't think I would order this one again, however I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it. I expected a little more sweetness, but that is my fault not the beer's. Good beer.

10-31-2011 23:21:23 | More by osusullins
Brouwerij78

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

Think cool, creamy, flat - CHOCOLATE MILK! Delicious! I have had this in both a bottle (in England) and a can (in the US)...the can being 100% better. For some reason, it looses something when bottled that is captured when canned. This has a slightly sweet, milky and definitely chocolatey flavor. Pour it into a thin pint glass and let it settle out (similar to a Guinness)- sip slowly and savor, worth the time to pour and wait to sip and money investment for a 4 pack of this.

05-26-2011 18:55:30 | More by Brouwerij78
Jerone

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Poured a very dark color, can't see any light around edged, very creamy chocolaty looking head, nitrogen cascade effect is cool as well.

S - Smells like chocolate and roasted malt, yum.

T - Chocolate and roasted malts on the flavor. I was disappointed in the taste and thought that it lacked a lot of flavor and seemed watery to me.

M - Nice mouth feel, very creamy, nitrogen bubble are nice too.

O - Would be great if they packed a bit more flavor into this brew. I did enjoy it though.

05-25-2011 04:31:08 | More by Jerone
SQUIDPORT

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pint glass: Pours dark brown, creamy foam goodness.

S: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, a bit malty & rich molasses.

T: Dark bitter chocolate milk.

M: Creamy, smooth, a bit on the thin side.

D: Perfect to make an ice cream float with. Excellent stout!

It's so tasty, reminds me of the days of being a kid at school & getting chocolate milk instead of just milk. Treat yourself to some. Drink up!

03-08-2011 23:53:27 | More by SQUIDPORT
MetalandBeer

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

reviewed from notes....orignall consumed during the week between Christmas & New Years.

Pressure can poured into pint glass.

A: Black as night, with a bit of mohogany

S: Roasted malt, a little sweetness,cocao

T: chocolate,sweet, bitter hops. well balanced

M: thinner than Ii expected for a stout, a little bit of creaminess.

D: very good. A nice slow sipper that never gets boring...a nice, well balanced stout.

Note: i used this to cook a corned beef in my slow cooker and it was wonderful!

01-19-2011 19:15:02 | More by MetalandBeer
KidsDoc

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Pressurized can poured into snifter

A: Amazing. Near black with deep mahogoany highlights. The foam builds from the bottom like an upside down snowstorm. There is a thick, soft tan head that just sits on top of this beer the entire time leaving foam in the bottom of the glass at the end. This may be my new benchmark for a "5" appearance

S: light sweetness, milk chocolate; light roast malt

T: very light sweetness to start. Comes through with creamy, authentic chocolate and again very sweet but balanced through the finish with some bittering earthy hops. I also got an unpleasant touch of sour on a few sips but not overwhelming.

M: thin even for a sweet stout. Near watery on the tip of the tongue. Builds through the finish and has perfect sustaing carbonation.

D: Very, very good. Slowly enjoyed this beer throughout almost the entire second half of the Packers/Eagles wild card playoff game. Controlled ABV, settles easy on the stomach, and a lot of chocolate flaor going on in this one.

01-10-2011 02:58:18 | More by KidsDoc
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A - The pour is like 4 different shades of brown that look like a mud slide swirling around as the bottom starts taking on a dark brown color and fades into a super dense mocha head that stays until the very end. Turns to a very pretty black. Nice thick lacing.

S - Heavy milk chocolate aroma dominates. Very sweet smelling. Slight coffee notes.

T - The flavor is a slow build. Very subtle hits of milk chocolate up front, then coffee starts coming in, dark cocoa finishes it up. Nice coffee/dark chocolate aftertaste.

Not very complex but a great beer nonetheless. I thoroughly enjoyed this review. My only complaints is that the mouthful was a bit watery. Other than that, an outstanding stout.

06-15-2010 23:57:29 | More by StaveHooks
dtivp

West Virginia

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Appearance was a very dark brown with a nice tan head that dissipated into a nice ring of lacing.

Aroma and taste of chocolate and chocolate. The taste was leaning towards a sweet milk chocolate.

Medium body beer with mild carbonation. Very creamy and smooth.

This is a sipping beer that you would only drink one, maybe as a night cap. Very sweet and a nice desert beer. The Yard House serves it as a desert poured over vanilla bean ice cream. A nice spin on a beer float.

05-29-2010 16:36:32 | More by dtivp
BeerKnights

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

In summation, this beer was like the movie Cloverfield. We had been on a stout drinking stint for about a month or so, when we finally decided to end it with, what we figured, would be the ultimate stout. We weren't looking for the strongest, but the chocolateliest. The pour was great. The smell was good as well. However, once the beer hit our tongues, it was less satisfying than Cloverfield was after all the hype. While this beer was full, we found the flavor lacking. The complex and intricate flavors of the drink were a debater's wet dream, but in the end lacked "umpf". The taste could be best described as subtle at first, with a malty, chocolately flavor, that grows to a fuller stouty flavor that still has chocolate and malt infused. However, the taste is extremely mild, and even takes a bit of concentration to notice, making it a bad drink for nights where one has little moderation.

04-30-2010 05:02:00 | More by BeerKnights
jiggahertz

New Hampshire

A: Pretty awesome pour of a deep dark mahogony brown beer topped by a head of tiny bubbles forming a perfect head/beer boundary. Head is of cappucino color and hangs around forever.

S: Cocoa big time on the nose as expected, some sweet caramel, roasted malts. Besides the chocolate the nose is rather subdued.

T: After getting through the monstous head, the flavor is greeted by cocoa which overwhelms most of the taste. It is very good but also rather one dimensional.

M: Low carbonation, light bodied - really wish the body was more full.

D: For what this is, it is great. A nice chocolate beer which goes great with desert. I prefer a nice stout which has coca in there as well, but for the style not much to complain about here. I think I still prefer the Brooklyn chocolate though. The best thing about this beer is the head.

02-08-2010 03:52:27 | More by jiggahertz
Oldscramch

2.78/5  rDev -31%

I wasn't at all impressed with this beer. It looked very promising, poured thick and black. It smelled fairly decent as well, chocolaty, as the label promises. The taste was a disappointment to me. There was no chocolate taste and little malt. It was very watery and not at all satisfying. I gave it a good drinkability because its easy to throw back, but neither I or my roommate finished our glasses. It's just not worth the space in my stomach.

09-06-2009 23:27:19 | More by Oldscramch
kegger22

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

I can name that tune in one note... insipid. I'm sorry, but if you want chocolate, try a bottle of Yahoo with a shot of vodka. Or better yet, a small glass of Bailey's and call it close enough. I try to respect beer, so I will never again review one of these milk things (unless I find one that good, or OK, or even acceptable).

9-27-09 I have to give this beer another look. I give the appearance and extra 0.5 and the taste an extra point for the chocolate taste which is there (but still weak).

07-16-2009 05:19:06 | More by kegger22
jamesdantes13

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Dark black brew with a thick off-white head that doesn't fade away (nitro-can).

Smells of chocolate and coffee, although not as strong as from the bottle.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, but very light-bodied. Tastes of dark chocolate, coffee, and some fruit in the background.

Easy to drink due to the mild flavors and low ABV. Pretty balanced and flavors are quite tame.

02-05-2009 05:08:23 | More by jamesdantes13
maxk

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

A: The beer poured nice and frothy with a solid head. The head was really thick and a very light brown/caramel color. The beer was much darker, a deep brown.

S: It smelled like a damn delicious stout should! Hints of coffee, malt and chocolate. Very milky.

T and Mouthfeel: Sooo tasty. I enjoyed it as dessert after a gyro and it was delicious. Very creamy, yet smooth and watery. Nice chocolate taste but not overpowering. I could probably drink down 2 or 3 no problem.

Tasty, filling beer, I would recommend it as a dessert to any meal!

12-25-2008 02:25:58 | More by maxk
hoplover82

2.73/5  rDev -32.3%

I need more hops! The balance is way off to me. Way too sweet. Very cloying. I've had chocolate stouts that I like very much but not this one. Yuk!

Pours black with a fleeting tan head.

The aroma is a little chocolaty, and some roasted malts. And water.

The flavor is sweet chocolate and water and gritty malt too. I wish a brewery would do a dark chocolate oatmeal stout. Now that would be good!

Watery light bodied.

Not drinkable.

12-12-2008 17:38:34 | More by hoplover82
Meandmymonkey

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Outta the can, (equipped with widget ball and all) pours a stoic black color. Beautifully active stationary head with cascading microbubbles. Immediate heavy chocolate aroma with strong vanilla notes which remind you of whole milk chocolate milk. Which is funny because this brew reminds you of a heavy milk stout. It's actually a sweet stout with very tame malts that makes for great drinkability. One of my very favorite chocolate stouts. Could possibly considered a desert beer.

10-21-2008 02:17:39 | More by Meandmymonkey
wiseguy142

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours with a really impressive creamy, rich, thick old paper colored head. There are some initial downward shooting nitrogen bubbles but they quickly give way to a relatively inactive black mirth. As I drink it I basically get a thick, constant coating of lacingo along the glass. I think I would have enjoyed maybe a little more "brownness" out of the color to really give me that chocolate feeling. Aroma is sort of like chocolate covered blueberries- fruity and chocolately. Really really low carbonation. Sort of a weak, non-assertive stout flavor with some faint chocolate notes. A little bitterness in there as well which is about the only thing going on in there that really catches your interest. Otherwise fairly watery. Mouthfeel is of course extremely smooth, as is normal for the style. I don't think the nitro can is doing it justice in terms of carbonation though- I'd just like to see a little more going on there.

All in all this is obviously extremely well made, I just happen to find it slightly underwhelming. But if you're looking for a subtle, easy going beer this is where it's at.

09-14-2008 08:25:18 | More by wiseguy142
dwpiercetx

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

A-Good coloring...poured well. Nice darkness to it with a lighter tan foam.

S-Can smell the chocolate and caramels in it. Before every drink, I made sure I took in a big whiff to get the nice effect from it.

T-Was a little watery for my liking, but that could have been my fault...I used a frosted pint glass. I still tasted the chocolatiness of of it.

D-Definitely worth the buy. Plus the can is very pretty, or at least my kids think it is.

This has made me a very big supporter of Sweet Stouts or Stouts altogether. Go out and buy one or four today.

08-24-2008 00:50:03 | More by dwpiercetx