Join our email list →

Wells & Young's Ltd
United Kingdom (England) | website

Milk / Sweet Stout | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,304 | Hads: 5,534
3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured black with tan head. Dry mid to low carbonation. Cool light body with silky chocolate, nut, and roasted malts. Surprisingly light but with a nice balanced flavor.

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Very nice pour with a nice head. The taste is chocolately with no aftertaste. Really nice. I highly enjoyed it and I will certainly get it again.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours black and tan, as you might expect. Smells like dark chocolate and biscuits. Taste is sweet and creamy, that fades to bitterness. A little thin and one-dimensional for my taste, but not bad by any stretch. Maybe too sweet to be a session beer, but it's too easy going to be anything else.

2.55/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Poured from nitro can. Looks cool, very dark. Nitro heads are about the same, thick small bubbles with lots of carbocations rising from the bottom. Smell is malts with a hint of chocolate. Taste is what I think affected with the nitro ball, probably the last time I get a nitro ball brew unless I hear the taste is otherwise un-affected. Tasted like Guinness draught with nitro in my opinion with a bit of chocolate. Maybe I need to try the same beer but from the bottle. The beer seemed thin and not so rich as most chocolate stouts. Pretty mediocre in comparison to other chocolate stouts I have had.

2.77/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with a nitrogen ball. Beautiful looking beer with a creamy head. I can never tell how feel about the head of beers with nitrogen balls. They always have a strange sort of off taste to them that turns me away from it. Looking past that this beer has a pretty solid taste. Very similar to guiness extra stout with a bit more of a chocolate flare. Nothing too special but not a bad beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful and creamy head with a pitch black texture that's impossible to see through. It has a great, complicated flavor that doesn't overpower you.

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank out of bottle....Shame on me. Smells decent but not strong enough to give a higher rating. Taste is fairly good too although not as thick as most stouts. Could be more creamy with a more pronounced flavor. Overall good beer but not worth six dollars as pint. Probably won't be buying this again because of the price.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My issue here was perception: this was my first chocolate stout, and having a considerable sweet tooth, I was expecting some upfront chocolate flavor. Long story short, I was in the mood for chocolate, and I would have been better off to buy a chocolate bar and try this beer on a different occasion. I definitely need to revisit this one

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 500mL bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours black as night with foamy brown head that dissipated leaving a ring.
Smell is malty and roasted grain, with sweetness and a tone of dark chocolate.
Moutgfeel: medium carbonation, surprisingly slightly watery.
Taste is malted barley woth a dark roast, a little chocolate, slight astringency. Delicious. Very drinkable, for a stout - I have bought it before and will again.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice black with minimal head that lingers very lightly thru out. No lacing for this one. Smells of dark chocolate and molasses detection. Tastes of a hint of sweet light fruit and strong chocolate. No boozy taste and very easy going and light to drink. Good to drink over n over again. Cheers

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer just tried my first two this weekend from a friend that gave me half of the four pack he had bought of the cans I would say it's up there with the sam Smith chocolate stout

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Thin, khaki head that dissipates into a sizable ring of foam. Nice lacing. Blackish body, with hues of brown.

Aroma: Very strong, with emphasis on the upfront notes of sweet grain (it's heavy on the grain), and that sweet, typical malty stout aroma. I detect a minute amount of some kind of chocolate note half-way through the drink, and as it warms. But it remains mostly sweet, grainy, and dark-roasted.

Taste: the taste is light overall, and is slightly watery. It's very grainy—toasted grains, little maltiness. It reminds me a great deal of a hearty black lager, to be honest.

Mouthfeel: creamy, light side of medium.

Overall, I am slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting more chocolate notes on the palate. Instead, it tasted much like a Guinness, which I do like. But I would have bought Guinness—not Young's—if I had wanted to drink Guinness.

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

On nitro @ The Collective On Tap. Really a disappointing after all the hype. Bad tap lines, or maybe this just isn't a beer to be drinking on nitro.

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nitro can into stout glass. Half finger pillowy tan khaki head. Dark body. Opague black. Smell is roasted malt and yeast. Super crazy smooth. Creamy. With a very so slight tingly zip for feel. Slight bitter dark chocolate and roasty malt taste. Excellent brew. Almost borderline Guinness to me but this is thicker and a bit heavier.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had mine from a can. mmmmm. nom nom nom. I fabulous desert beer. I'm not usually looking for a chocolate beer, but this is pretty good. What should I drink next? These chocolaty beers confuse me.

Supersmooth, taste is very rich, but not as intensive as Pale Ales or Strong stouts have. You feel like it's quite heavy, but you can easily get 3 pints without a being too drunk or full. Great experience, I tried nothing similar. You'll love it or hate it, but you do need to taste it!

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%

-Big toffee and Roasty coffee taste
-Notes of Vanilla,caramel,syrup
-fainter than expected chocolate note comes through late
-well carbonated
-roasty,chocolaty finish

Very good,though i expected more chocolate

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Mmmm...comfort in a glass. This beer looks, tastes, and feels like an immaculate conception between stout and chocolate. This is, without a doubt, one of the very best beers I have ever enjoyed.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The head of thick, strong and heavy with brown color, reminiscent of chocolate mousse. stay long.
The smell of chocolate, just cocoa, pralines, and weak coffee.
Delicate flavor, but instead of chocolate praline filling palpable. It is like a dry, powdered. Bitterness at the finish of each sip, good
Gentian gives us much chocolate, but if it is a "double"? Young's Double Chocolate is watery, it is without the body, and the density is low. When I first tasted this Young'sa, that was about 10 years ago, I remember it differently. There are today expected something more,
more chocolate, more sweetness and density.

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had this twice, first time (about two years ago, craft beer beginner) I loved it!!! Now I honestly am not really impressed, nothing too bad about it it's ok, but i honestly can't say I would buy it again

3.9/5  rDev -3%

The smoothness you expect from a nitrogenated stout. Great chocolate aroma, very light body despite the appearance in your glass. I prefer a more robust stout than this style, in general, but this is an easy drinking stout that would be worth introducing to people who believe that stouts are "too dark and heavy" to session.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Loos very dark-brown almost black, with light brown head.
S: Smells like chocolate, dark fruits, some acid notes, coffee, sherry and wood.
T: Tastes like dark bitter chocolate, the bitterness of the chocolate is not very pleasant, not as smooth as the hops, so I found it hard to drink, aftertaste is aggressive.
F: Has medium body and low carbonation. Not as creamy as other milk stouts.
O: This is a good example of a double chocolate stout that you can find at the super market here in Mexico. You can find much better chocolate stouts in specialty stores.

3.9/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz nitro-can poured into a can-shaped pint glass.

Appearance
Pours black with an awesome nitro effect cascading up the glass. Leaves behind 2 fingers of ultra-creamy head with a ridiculous amount of lacing.

Nose
Milk chocolate, caramel, raisin, and dusted cocoa. The aroma is light but nothing short of delicious.

Taste
Semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, and dusted cocoa. Raisin, caramel, and hints of black cherry. Finishes with an ever-so-slight roasty bitterness.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied, smooth, and ultra-creamy.

Overall
Great chocolate flavors. Very easy drinking and delicate with a great nitro-can.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd