Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
cenci1m

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

As I crack open the can to this exceptional dessert worthy brew, the smell of a fine dark chocolate truffle startles the tips of my nose hairs with its beautiful rich notes. The pour is one classic of a nitrogen based endevour however lends to a more high end feel much better then the uncanny over rated guiness brew.

As I lift my fine crafted sniffer glass to my mauve colored quivering lips, my mouth begins to release bountiful droplets of clean paleted saliva awaiting the arrival of the chocolatley goodness.

As the brew slothes down the gallows of my awaiting throat I begin to realize I have officialy arrived in Youngs Double Chocolate Stout heaven.

12-04-2010 18:14:29 | More by cenci1m
oldirtycaffrey

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Finally tried this on-tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY. Pours a deep dark brown with a foamy tan head, leaving a tremendous amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is a beautiful roasty mix of malt, caramel, and chocolate. The taste is also very good. Slightly bitter, but still easy to drink. Great beer.

12-03-2010 21:02:27 | More by oldirtycaffrey
ShanePB

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from an 11.8 (?) ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A - Jet black, roasted coffee bean brown hues in the light, topped with a frothy and creamy light beige head.

S - Chocolate syrup, dark chocolate nibs, roasted coffee bean shells, white pepper.

T - Pure bliss (or luxury, as labeled on the bottle). This drinks smooth, creamy and mellow with tamed carbonation that's a perfect compliment for the delicate flavors this entails. Milk chocolate mid-palate with some light alcohol esters sticking around on the finish.

M - Smooth, creamy and mellow.

D - At 5.2% I was surprised to see alcohol here, so I knocked it down 0.5 point. Dangerously drinkable for it's flavors but I wish those heat esters would mellow out a bit more than they are. Maybe some age would do it well. Nonetheless, this is still a decadent milk and chocolately stout.

12-03-2010 20:47:06 | More by ShanePB
MirImage

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance: Very dark in color with a beige head. Head stayed with the beer for a little bit. Lacing was pretty decent.

Smell: Smelled strongly of chocolate, no surprise. There was also some dark malts that came out and very little hop aroma. Smelled very sweet.

Taste: Strongly of chocolate, again no surprise. Tasted very sweet on the front of the pallet. Some dark and caramel malts. A little bit of coffee to finish off.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, like silk.

Drinkability: Not too high of an ABV so could potentially drink quite a bit but a bit too sweet to have more than probably 2.

12-01-2010 20:50:02 | More by MirImage
flipper2gv

Quebec (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Near pure black color, but I've been able to see some brown in it. Aggressive pour gives a good nice 2-3 inches beige head, really creamy looking. Retention is ok but lacing is quite superb for the abv. Really good looking beer for sure.

S: There is a lot of sweet chocolate in this. Definitely smells like a good glass of chocolate milk. There is also strong amount of maple syrup smell in this. Slight roasted malts smell but not as much as most stouts, a bit of coffee. Vanilla and brown sugar are in there too. Light nuttyness. I differ with other reviewers and thought this one smelled quite strong considering it's a low abv stout.

T: Well the taste is much more balanced than the smell. The roasted characteristics are much more present, giving a good roasted malts and dry coffee smell. The chocolate is still there, but I expected a bit more since it's called the "Double Chocolate Stout", but it is right up there with most milk/sweet stout. Again, for the sweetness, there is some amount of brown sugar, toffee, maple syrup and slight vanilla. There is also definitely oatmeal in this too.

M: Medium to heavy feel with medium carbonation. Fits the beer quite well. The feel is, like with most milk/sweet stout, very creamy.

D: Superb drinkability considering it's a stout. The taste is very balanced and interesting.

One of my all time favorite brew!

11-30-2010 01:50:55 | More by flipper2gv
jlandis

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A rich back body with one finger dense tan head. The nose is so full of chocolate and roasted grains! It smells like roasted hot chocolate. The flavor is rich dark chocolate with a blast of lactose and roasted grains. The body is light with solid carbonation.

I love this beer! The chocolate, lactose, and roasted balance is perfect in this beer, and I make sure to pick it up as often as I can. I could drink this beer all night long (and have).

11-29-2010 19:47:16 | More by jlandis
JayS2629

Alabama

4.3/5  rDev +7%

A- Super dark. Deep brown, almost black. Creamy, frothy head tan with thick clinging lace. Beautiful.

S- Dark chocolate, sweet malts, and a hint of coffee. Faint.

T- Unsweetened dark chocolate, malts, hints of coffee and spice.

M- Medium body with creamy edge.

D- Very easy to drink. Not overly sweet. Heavy enough to make a sipper, but only 5.2 on alcohol so no burn.

11-28-2010 21:45:45 | More by JayS2629
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Enjoyed in tap at mcnellies in okc.

Slight cocoa aroma. Big fluffy black beer with big tan head.

Flavor is chocolaty (more present as it warms up) , iced coffee and cream. Just a bit of toastiness.

Mouthfeel is nitro fluffy like a Guinness. Very drinkable.

11-25-2010 03:52:02 | More by jmbranum
mountsnow1010

Vermont

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at the Bishops Arms in Lund, Sweden.

Appearance - extremely dark brown/almost black with a small head that dissipated rapidly

Smell - delicious. Chocolate, a little bit of burnt odor, and a bit of a nutty smell? Smells almost like raw cocoa.

Taste - taste gets most of the smell components, although a bit less chocolate to the taste than is in the smell. tastes great, but just a tad watery for what I was expecting

Mouthfeel - goes down "smooth" with a nice carbonation. not much to say here, other than that I enjoyed it.

Drinkability - I'm glad these cost 60 SEK apiece, because otherwise I'd have been downing them...

NOTE:

Editing review. Had this on tap again last night in Carlisle, PA.
This beer was delicious. I felt like i needed to modify my rating slightly.

11-23-2010 07:40:44 | More by mountsnow1010
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a nitro-pint can into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint

A-Holy crap this is pretty. The way the carbonation and creamy foam mixes with the super dark body of the beer is gorgeous. Through the glass, it looked like the bubbles were cascading like a waterfall, only upwards. It was a transcendental moment for me. Anyway, the body is opaque and the head is super creamy and tan in apprearance. The head stuck around for a long time and left decent lacing.

S-Eh, kinda bland. The nose is vaguely sweet, but that's about it.

T-The first quarter of the brew was kinda boring, tasted a lot like a more burnt Guinness. But once the beer warmed up, the choclate notes really came out, especially on the finish.

MF-Holy crap, this is without a doubt the creamiest beer I have ever had. The head was omnipresent, therefore getting through it to the beer with every sip gave a very creamy feel.

D-Not bad at all, but I wouldn't see myself sessioning this beer (even though I probably COULD, I wouldn't want to)

Overall, this is a fun beer, and I'll probably drink more in the future. I see myself making a sweet black and tan with this. I also would be very interested in trying this in the bottle and on-tap instead of nitro can.

11-23-2010 01:14:51 | More by phideltashaggy
9InchNails

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

Dark brown head the body is totally opaque. A decent amount of lacing.

More of a coffee than a chocolate smell. Also a Smokiness as well was noticeable. I do smell a decent amount of hops upfront, which is strange for me for a stout.

A decently thick creamy body. Hardly any carbonation at all. It feels really light in the mouth, reminds me of whip cream.

The taste is all roasted chocolate malts and a slight bitterness in hops. I felt like I was eating a chocolate Easter bunny, which isn't too bad of a thing.

I could have a few of these, it's pretty good.

11-23-2010 00:09:26 | More by 9InchNails
kbutler1

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Draft. On nitro at Town Hall Tap. Poured into a pint glass a dark brown/black color with a nitro style tiny bubbled tan head. Chocolate milk and vanilla dominate the nose. The taste is oh so good chocolate goodness, not overly so, but for sure is the dominate flavor. Nice vanilla flavors as well. A total desert beer. Smooth, velvety, creamy medium/heavy mouthfeel. Semi sweet. Good overall but not sure how much I could drink.

11-22-2010 15:42:59 | More by kbutler1
Chickenhawk9932

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Pitch black with brown creamy head.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate.

Definitely taste of chocolate and more chocolate, feel is very creamy and some chewiness as the malt flavor comes through. Finnishes with a slight bitterness and evasive fruitiness - blackberry.

11-21-2010 01:51:49 | More by Chickenhawk9932
jsprain1

3.9/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours a splendid black color with a thin milky looking head that lasts the entirety of the beer and copious rings of lacing.
S- Rather subdued, but semisweet chocolate and slight roasted coffee smells.
T- Definite chocolate presence, especially as it warms. Slightly sweet finish with hints of espresso.
M- Lighter than I expected, but not necessarily bad. Low carbonation is appreciated here.
D- This is definitely a beer that must be consumed on it's own as it tends to detract from any non dessert foods. It's uniqueness probably limits it to one per sitting for me. I did find it very tasty and if you want chocolate drink this one.

11-19-2010 07:57:17 | More by jsprain1
JimLetson

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

16.9 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance - very black with a fluffy tan head that takes ages to recede. It leaves a thick lacing as it shrinks from the two-finger original height.

Smell - I'll be honest, I expected more chocolate in the nose. The malt is all I smell. Not bad, but not exactly what I expected or hoped for.

Taste - It's a nice toasty flavour, but again, the chocolate doesn't come through as much as I had thought it would. Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is there, but it comes in a much more subdued way. You get it on the finish, but it doesn't hold on, and the aftertaste is more milky than chocolatey.

Mouthfeel - the beer is very creamy. The carbonation is very, very small. I think it suits this type of beer well, but I can take it or leave it, personally.

Drinkability - good, but again, I expected more from this beer. It's one that I would drink on someone else's nickel, but there are chocolate stouts out there that drink better.

11-19-2010 03:59:00 | More by JimLetson
ryan1788a5

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

14.9oz Nitro can poured into a Guinness Imperial pint.

A: Pours a dark brown/black with some lighter ruby coloration. This is a nitro beer, and it has the famous "cascading bubbles" effect. It is fun to watch, and I'll admit it never really gets old. Very creamy and wet looking khaki-colored two finger head. Typical nitro stout appearance. The head lasts forever. In fact, it neatly deposits itself at the bottom of the glass when the beer is gone. Tons of foamy, sticky lacing clings to almost every inch of the glass.

S: Creamy milk chocolate, faint burnt smells, roasted malt, and some coffee.

T: Slightly acrid burnt taste quickly gives way to luscious milk chocolate. Coffee comes out a bit too. Finishes with milk chocolate and some roasted malt tastes.

M: Rather light on the tongue, but with that full, smooth, and creamy nitro mouthfeel. Think Guinness Draught, but a little thicker.

D: I'm indifferent here. Not a bad beer, sits lightly in the stomach, but I'm really not that motivated to have another.

Notes: A decent beer, but the nitro mouthfeel coupled with the candy bar milk-chocolate taste just makes it all feel a little too artificial. It didn't do too much for me. I would like to try the bottled (non-nitro) version to see how that compares.

Edit: Some three years later I finally got around to sampling this from the bottle. As expected, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. On nitro the milk chocolate character of the beer is played up a lot. in the bottled version a lot more roasted barley character pulls through. Espresso and a light acidity are more apparent.

11-11-2010 18:46:27 | More by ryan1788a5
tjsdomer2

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Chocolate syrup with a bit of carbonation. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is really thick overall, especially considering the alcohol content is not that high.

Smell: Chocolate malt and (Surprise!) more chocolate! Maybe some coffee as well. Not really any hops. This stuff is really sweet-smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Chocolate...totally chocolate. Nice malt blend as well. Feels nice, but maybe a tad bit oily.

Drinkability: About as drinkable as a chocolate milkshake, which I found very drinkable.

Overall: I know I'm repeating myself in saying this stuff is chocolate, but hey, a spade's a spade.

11-05-2010 20:05:42 | More by tjsdomer2
Bouleboubier

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

As if I was in love with them before, I'm really starting to loathe nitrogenated beer. I've had this beer twice in the past 10 days on-tap, straight CO2, and it was wonderful. Like quite nothing else I've had. Tried it in the can today (first time in awhile) and was sadly dissatisfied. Luckily, the same joint where I bought this has it in conventional bottles, so I'll atone for this insult to my tongue.

I will continue to rave about the look of beer served like this. Entertaining cascade effect, thick, off-white creamy head lending desserty meringue sheets of lacing. With the nearly pitch black color, it creates a stark, arty contrast. Love it.

The aroma and taste are (naturally) severely muted here compared to the regular drafts I had previously. The biggest casualty perhaps is the decadent dark chocolate flavor, unlike any other brew. A good bit of hoppy bitterness and the soft roasty/toasty biscuity malt remains, but without the chocolate, this is hardly the complete package. But for it's style, I'm happy to find only the slightest sweetness (in either of the servings I've had so far), whereas I've come accustomed to tasting a more sour, sugary sweet character taken from the lactose. They've crafted a fine ale indeed. Just avoid the can.

11-02-2010 03:19:09 | More by Bouleboubier
dataskatt

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

I am not a big stout drinker, but after sampling this brew at a nearby restaurant, I HAD to have my own pint! Everyone at the table was impressed with this one. It is a beautiful black mocha color with an impressive lingering head. It smells toasty and chocolaty. This beer is like drinking creamy chocolate beer without the sweet...yummy! Drinkability is good, but it IS a stout. One was plenty for me, because it is so rich and filling. I normally go for pale ale's, and I loved it, so this one is definitely worth your time!

10-31-2010 19:10:43 | More by dataskatt
rtepiak

Poland

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

a great style for the nitro can and a wonderful chocolate feel of creaminess. look is eye candy out of the candy and has a delicious tasting head. nose of carob and cocoa. this is in the palate obviously with a cocoa added quality to it. not extremely thick and rich though. besides the noted chocolate the beer as an interesting toastiness about it. a tad sour licorice smokey. and a mild mineral chalk feel.

10-31-2010 15:01:42 | More by rtepiak
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

3.9/5  rDev -3%

A: Awesome pinky size head that will not go down, lots of lacing left after each sip and a jet black color. What more do you expect from a draft (nitro) stout?

S: Had to really get almost into the foam to get a good idea of the aroma...chocolate, dark fruit, malt and very faint hop bitters. Faint, unfortunately, but good when you get it.

T: Like a malted chocolate milkshake, a little hop bitters and some slightly toasted malt to round it out. Very nice.

M: Very creamy and smooth, excellent feel as you'd expect for a pub draft.

D: Nice stuff, and easy to drink as a draft. No more than one pint of this will do though, it's just a little too sweet and chocolatey for too much of this.

10-28-2010 04:40:04 | More by Dreadnaught33
Adamthome1

Nebraska

4.38/5  rDev +9%

500mL bottle, best by 3/26/11

Pours nicely with a good head which has good retention throughout.

Smell is dominated by sweet milk and dark chocolates, really not much else there, no caramel or coffee smells like I expected to go along w/choc....Pleasantly surprised with that

Mouthfeel is extra creamy, as if I 'd added milk to the beer...has creamier, more balanced flavor than many so called cream stouts

Very smooth to drink, flavors remain constant with smell...very mild caramel and coffee hints, texture is very creamy which is perfect with the milky flavor...not overly carbonated and only 5.2% alcohol, the only thing double about this beer is the chocolate, not the alcohol. I like this, nice to have a smooth drinking specialty stout for a change.

Not overly sweet but sweet nevertheless, pair with some chocolate or chocolate inspired deserts.

Do yourself a favor and let the last half of the beer warm to 60 degrees F or more, brings out the texture.

10-28-2010 04:21:07 | More by Adamthome1
gopens44

4.22/5  rDev +5%

A - Dark with a generous foaming head. When I say dark, I mean no light escaping through the glass. Thick, but not horribly so.

S - Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Maybe a touch of caramel that may have been more molasses in nature once I drank it, but it came across initially as caramel

T -Very nice. Smooth and lives up to the chocolate name. There is plenty of complexity here beyond the obvious. The coffee taste was held in check by the molasses flavor. The chocolate taste was similar to that of dark chocolate, but maybe not as bitter.

M - Creamy, smooth and of mid to low carbonation

I'll drink this every time I have a chance! I'll need to come up with some stout rotation though!

10-27-2010 12:44:58 | More by gopens44
ZacharyJ

4.38/5  rDev +9%

A- Flawless. Perfect pour from the nitro can. Pours a pitch black, with a solid 3/4 inch head that has serious staying power.

S- Strong chocolaty notes. Like a warm mug of hot cocoa.

T- Chocolate again. Aftertaste lingers for awhile. This is a good thing.

M- Very creamy. Can feel the alcohol a little.

D- Love this beer. I try and savor them, though they go down so smooth, it makes it hard.

10-24-2010 23:14:15 | More by ZacharyJ
LumpyGuitar

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this in a bottle with a breakfast of ham and eggs.

Poured a solid black with a thin tan head. Retention was poor, and lacing was average.

Smells of dark roasted malts, and bakers chocolate.

Taste is strong, chocolately with a bit of sweet molasses. Bitter dark chocolate overtones.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but not sticky. Heavy in body, carbonation is almost nonexistant.

Drinkability is good. I could easily have another of these and they go great with coffee and breakfast.

10-24-2010 20:05:50 | More by LumpyGuitar