Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
biglite351

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

A - very dark and LONG lasting tight head.

S - chocolate but very mild.

T - all chocolate, but very mild and thin.

M - for how dark it is and the solid foam I was expecting a much heavier brew.

D - it is so thin that it almost seems like a light beer. Maybe as a mild dessert drink... but I will probably pass

02-13-2010 02:39:19 | More by biglite351
WOTO97

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

A: rich dark chocolate with quickly dissolving head (creamy cappuccino in color) and very nominal lacing

S: lots of chocolate (almost overwhelming) and very faint earthy hop notes

T: lots of cocoa burst straight away, hint of some odd metallic note in the background, finishes with chocolate and acidic coffee bean notes

M: definitely not as chewy as I was expecting, but okay body for the style

D: been meaning to try this beer for some time and, admittedly, underwhelmed, decent but probably won't return to it

02-13-2010 01:53:49 | More by WOTO97
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

500ml bottle from the LCBO. Black in colour with brown hues and a ring of dark tan head. Speckles of lacing on the nonic. Smell is barley, baking sugar, milk chocolate, and cocoa. Excellent roasted malt flavour, charred and smokey, touch of chocolate, toasted oats (nutty), dry hop finish with some spice and chalk. Mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, a little bite followed by a parched and malty aftertaste. Very low bitterness. Sweet, dry, chocolatey, roasted. Ultra tasty stout. Nothing to dislike here, just a classic session brew.

02-10-2010 05:41:13 | More by cratez
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

500ml bottle poured into pint glass feb9 2010

A dark but not black with a giant fluffy tan head that clumps up on the side of the glass

S if you like milk chocolate this is where its at I may pick up on a little coffee

T not far from the smell but not as strong and some raisin

M smooth and creamy, just thick enough to please

D went down pretty quick and that says something

well if you want chocolate this is a pretty decent beer well worth trying with little doubt

02-10-2010 04:38:30 | More by wordemupg
DoppleJock

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

02/09/2010
1 pt. 0.9 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Poured an opaque black/brown with two inches of caramel head. Lots of alcohol pitting from just the right amount of carbonation.

S: Semi-sweet dark chocolate malts, just like it's labeled.

T: Dark chocolate with a hint of vanilla. A good amount of roasted malts. Not too sweet but not too bitter. Tastes amazing.

M: Super rich with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: A satisfying, one-and-done dessert in a bottle. Very well-balanced. Takes the phrase "I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze" to a whole new level.

02-10-2010 04:17:44 | More by DoppleJock
fff

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Dark brew with deep brown head, dissipating about halfway through without much lacing.

S: Smells like smokey stout with creamy chocolate mixed in. Slight metallic smell.

T: A wonderful balance. Tastes like the best things in stouts with chocolate on top. Sublime interplay between the smoky beer taste and the sweet chocolate notes. Aftertaste of a little metal and chocolate milk.

M: Thick, rich mouth which sticks to your throat as it goes down. This beer lets you savor the aftertaste well.

D: It's a bit too sweet for me, but I know many people who would drink several of these in a session.

02-09-2010 08:20:28 | More by fff
jiggahertz

New Hampshire

A: Pretty awesome pour of a deep dark mahogony brown beer topped by a head of tiny bubbles forming a perfect head/beer boundary. Head is of cappucino color and hangs around forever.

S: Cocoa big time on the nose as expected, some sweet caramel, roasted malts. Besides the chocolate the nose is rather subdued.

T: After getting through the monstous head, the flavor is greeted by cocoa which overwhelms most of the taste. It is very good but also rather one dimensional.

M: Low carbonation, light bodied - really wish the body was more full.

D: For what this is, it is great. A nice chocolate beer which goes great with desert. I prefer a nice stout which has coca in there as well, but for the style not much to complain about here. I think I still prefer the Brooklyn chocolate though. The best thing about this beer is the head.

Serving type: can

02-08-2010 03:52:27 | More by jiggahertz
jt31914

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

A: Little to no head with a dark color (black with hints of brown when the beer is held against light). The beer looks fairly carbonated despite the lack of head (bubbles are continuously rising to the top of the beer).

S: Cocoa powder is by far the dominant scent of the beer; the char flavor that I find it most chocolate/coffee beers is also present, but overall the scent is not overpowering. The smell is phenomenal right before the beer hits the palate though.

T: The taste is obviously strong on chocolate, especially in the aftertaste/finish; however, unfortunately the finish is a little funky tasting. The beer is a little more watery than I expected, or at least it isn't as full as I had hoped it would be.

M: This is where my biggest problems with the beer come forth; I think the beer is far to over-carbonated in the mouth. You can't even hold it on the palate without fighting the impulse to swallow. Just a subpar mouthfeel to me.

D: This is the best aspect of the beer though, it is a very easily drinkable stout at 5.2%. It is tasty and easy not overly filling.

really disappointed w/this brew.

02-08-2010 00:54:37 | More by jt31914
BeerNemesis

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. 1/2 pint. 2009

Appearance:
Black with a tan one-finger head, medium lacing.

Aroma:
Smoky, burnt chocolate. It really spells strongly like dark cocoa powder. In fact, I think the smell is a good deal more delicious then the taste -- I could enjoy this one from the scent alone.

Taste:
Burnt chocolate, roasted grain, some sweetness. Bitter twang of hops. Goes down smooth. Honestly, it was a bit of a letdown given the intense chocolaty smell, to be greeted with a taste that had more in common with burnt coffee that cocoa.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
Very smooth and drinkable. I could sit and take in the aroma for a while, but the comparatively disappointing taste means I probably won't be having these too often.

02-07-2010 19:41:18 | More by BeerNemesis
UWagner

A: Poured from the can in a milky brown stream, appearing as if I poured a can of Frappuchino into a pint glass. Over the course of a minute the milky nitro bubbles rose to the surface, leaving an opaque brown ale topped with a thin but dense, tan head that has persisted for the last 15 minutes. The head trailed thickly down the side, taking about 15 minutes to dissipate into spots resembling those of a leopard.

S: Chocolate, more chocolate, and then coffee. That's it. No complexity here.

T: Heavy chocolate flavors, which gave way (somewhat) to subtle coffee flavors. In other words, it was like drinking a moka frango, but translated into a sweet stout.

M: Very thin, despite the bold flavors. Kind of a letdown at this point.

D: Slightly chilled, this stout is a bit more drinkable than at room temperature. Not to say that it isn't drinkable at room temperature; it certainly is. Chocolate lovers, however, will find that the alcohol flavor is nonexistent if it is chilled, and that the chocolate flavors are enhanced. The light mouthfeel may be a plus for some chocolate fans who are more concerned about the rich chocolatey taste. The light mouthfeel makes this an easily drinkable, chocolatey ale. I'll be trying it chilled on a warm day to see if it is as drinkable as it is now in February.

02-07-2010 06:36:42 | More by UWagner
acelin

Kansas

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a pint bottle into a pint glass. Poured a deep black with a mocha head about one finger thick.

Smells of chocolate - no kidding ;)

Tastes like chocolate meets coffee. No alcohol detectable - Had you given this to me when I was younger, I would have though it was something from Starbucks. Really a great beer .

Drinkability and mouthfeel is great.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

02-07-2010 05:04:52 | More by acelin
BretSikkink

Mexico

Dark brown with a tall sticky head of large tan bubbles. The nose is somewhat muted, with notes of bittersweet chocolate, iron, and brew salts. This is a pretty sweet Sweet Stout, with very little besides lightly sweet and moderately bitter cacao flavors. Just a hair on the light side in the mouthfeel but I like it more as it approaches room temp. Not the finest stout in the world but a very drinkable sweet stout.

02-06-2010 01:30:52 | More by BretSikkink
BARFLYB

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Nitro Can poured into a plain pint glass. I don't remember the last time I had this.

A loud gunshot like sound when the CAN was violated, it was heard throughout the house. A pillow like foam was seen forming in the glass, I quickly poured this with vigor the correct way with the can sticking inside the glass. Once that was done a cascading brown foam hurricane formed eventually leaving a perfect tan head on top. Excellent notches of lacing.

Very chocolate rich up front with roasted malts following. The chocolate is a bit bittersweet and also syrupy rich with sweetness. There is a touch of cream in the distance. The aroma is bold but I CAN tell this is not going to be overkill like a certain chocolate stout brewing company in upstate NY.

If you read above that pretty much is ditto for the taste as well. It pretty much tastes like it smells. Besides the nice smooth rich chocolate the only difference is the malt addition seems to shine a bit more in taste. A very light chocolate milk for adults.

The feel is killer out of the CAN, probably the smoothest stout i've had in awhile. The nitro really does wonders. It has a good less than medium build with just some light watery spots here and there. For 5.2%, the body is amazing. I don't think it CAN get better than this.

Well, I'm sold, this did the trick, a lovely chocolate stout out of England in a CAN. I think I found a contender for a case pick up for the rest of the winter. The 5.2% helps things for the drink on this, either two or three a night.

02-06-2010 00:56:09 | More by BARFLYB
WynnO

Hands down, IMO, the best "first sip" on the planet! If heaven has a taste, a first sip from one of the puppies IS IT. Also the best chocolate flavored beer EVER. I have had this on tap at least a dozen times in half a dozen establishments, and it has never let me down.

The nitro can is good too, but CHECK YOUR DATES please; I have found old cans in places where the stock doesn't move, and the taste was not up to par. Personally, I would avoid the bottle though---something gets lost there.

Don't let the ABV fool you---this is not a macho session beer---it's far too rich.

It pours beautifully from the tap (and nitro can), exactly like a Guinness. The resulting head is thick and creamy with a perfect depth. I have sat and pondered this feat several times :-) All I can say is if there was ever a perfectly "engineered beer", this would have to be it.

I personally like it at the same temp as a properly tapped Guinness. The richness of the flavor seems to decline with the as the temperature drops. If you pour this from a nitro-can, I recommend allowing it to settle, and then let it sit another couple of minutes. Why? I can't say exactly. If nothing else it just seems more professional !

Serving type: nitro-tap

02-05-2010 05:18:45 | More by WynnO
Kylito87

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

This is my first experience with a Chocolate Stout. I have always wanted to try one and I saw this at Arista Foods today for $2.99 so I figured why not. So Heres We Goes.

Appearance- Black with a Big creamy tawny head. Lots of sticky lacing along my glass. Pretty strong in the knees.

Smell- It has very sweet chocolate and toffee notes up front and behind that is some smokey dark chocolate and roasted malt and coffee notes.

Taste- It tastes like a stout! It is definitely not as sweet as I thought it would be. I thought it would be more like an oatmeal stout but this is really balanced. It has a sort of sweet taste up front but not overpowering. Than it gives you this finishing bitterness like dark chocolate. I am not detecting much hop essence here.

Mouthfeel- Almost Viscous more solid bodied than some of the stouts that I drink. Also more carbonation than I would of thought as well. I was expecting a very flat minimaly carbonated beer here. This stuff is like Velvet. Almost chewy and very rich. It has a sticky mouthfeel that dries up nicely

Drinkability- Well this stuff is rich. I mean I finished a 500 ML bottle myself but I don't think I would want much more. This is a very smooth pleasant sipping beer. I think it would pair nicely with a spicy meal of a fine cigar.

Overall- A very eye opening experience. I always thought that sweet stouts and chocolate stouts were kind of girly and prissy beers but this is so good I wouldn't care if someone made fun of me for drinking it. It is so good that my girlfriend (who only drinks Bud-light and Corona light) said it was definitely interesting which means she kind of likes it usually when she tries a beer of mine she makes this face like a kid taking medicine. That is a huge step and I think that I can start weening her into appreciating good beer with more complex concoctions like this she is by nature a whisky and wine girl. This was like I said my first experience with a Chocolate stout and it has made me want to seek out more examples of this style. If I find this in Nitro cans out here I will definitely try that because I bet this stuff would be awesome with nitro!

02-02-2010 06:11:54 | More by Kylito87
likethetaste

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this pours into a beautiful cascading foam dark liquid. Just beautiful. Wonderful chocolate smell as well a a nearly perfect chocolate taste. Goes down very easy but is a rich drink so not one you can drink lots of in one sitting. I perfect desert beer. Something to finish a good meal with.

02-02-2010 00:20:49 | More by likethetaste
twiggamortis420

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

500 mL bottle with a freshness stamp of 30/09/09. Pours a lighter shade of black with a few crimson highlights showing around the edges. Light brown foam is creamy, dense and long-lasting. Lacing is excellent.

Nose smells wonderfully like a freshly opened bag of bittersweet chocolate chips. There is a bit of rum-soaked plum fruitiness in there as well as some rye-bread loaf.

Taste is like a chalky and mineraly version of a Hershey's dark chocolate bar. Not a whole lot of sweetness here and has some roast and mild alcohol flavors on the aftertaste. Pretty dry for a chocolate stout, but fairly tasty. Very easy to drink and before you knew it, two or three would be empty. A good beer and definitely a classic.

02-02-2010 00:04:07 | More by twiggamortis420
ebraun

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Seriously huge, creamy head with excellent lacing. Very, very dark.

S: Lots and lots of chocolate, with toffee and cola notes.

T: Slightly toasty, biscuity and tasted a lot like a less-sweet chocolate soda.

M: Light in the mouth with decent carbonation. Touch of drying on the end.

D: The mouthfeel and low-ish alcohol make it pretty drinkable. I could put back a number of them.

This isn't a beer that's my cup of tea, but for the style it seemed dead on. If a little less roasty than I would have preferred. But still, very nice.

I ate a nice big chocolate brownie while I was quaffing it, and it was a very nice combo.

02-01-2010 00:09:29 | More by ebraun
zac16125

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Serving: on tap from a pint glass

I tried this stout yesterday and didn't take notes on it but here's the things I remember that stood out to me.

First off the apppearance is perfect. Dark black with a finger width cream colored head with great retention through the whole drink and heavy lacing. Exactly what a stout should look like. A beautiful beer. Strong chocolate taste with coffee notes. A delicious beer. My only negative would be its a little too creamy and because of that I wouldn't want more than one. That being said its a great beer and I will definately drink it again.

01-31-2010 18:32:54 | More by zac16125
jlb307

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

First review in a looong time.
Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. I've had this since early September and the bottle has a date of 3/31/10 on it, so it was just right.

Poured pitch black with probably the thickest head I've ever seen on a beer. Tan and creamy and clung to the glass throughout both servings. Loaded with the smell of dark chocolate and oatmeal and some dried fruit notes. Great taste pretty close to the aroma with a long, semi-sweet finish with a touch of brown sugar on it. Very smooth without a trace of alcohol makes this very easy to drink too quickly, but definitely one you want to savor.

01-28-2010 00:56:02 | More by jlb307
NOOGIE

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Look: Poured nitro-can into pint glass. Great mixture of the beer in the glass. You get that swirl look to it. Deep black color, and rich creamy head, which takes a long time to dissipate.

Smell: Lots of chocolate. Also nice spicy notes, with lots of malty smells and oats.

Taste: Nothing hidden in this beer, but chocolate. Sort of like a Hersey's Dark Chocolate bar. Good mellow roasted coffee taste.

Mouthfeel: What you want in a chocolate beer! The chocolate stays in your mouth, well after the drink is done.

Drink: Surprisingly smooth, only a hint of bitterness at the end.

01-27-2010 01:34:55 | More by NOOGIE
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

500ml bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a very dark brown/black with a super thin light brown head. Nose is very lightly chocolaty with some maltiness.

Taste is very roasty and chocolaty without much bitterness. Not as much chocolate as southern tier choklate but it's still a good beer for what it is.

01-22-2010 00:53:57 | More by kingcrowing
qazelisc

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a dark brown-black with a tan head and nice lacing.

Lots of chocolate in the nose (duh); cocoa shells, cocoa powder, dark bitter chocolate, roasted malt, floral hops maybe under all that chocolate?

Chocolate lovers rejoice. Taste is the same accompanied by slight coffee, vanilla, raisin. Hard to taste the hops, more like a watery Ovaltine than beer, but a nice delicious dark chocolate flavor, more bitter than sweet.

Very smooth but somewhat thin and watery. Not quite stout enough, however, that's probably the intent. A personal preference here for a bit more malt body.

Tons of chocolate, thin body and low alcohol make this too gulpable, like the aforementioned Ovaltine. My 3-year son would love this.

01-21-2010 20:41:45 | More by qazelisc
BillyBoysPie

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at Sergio's World Beers in Louisville.

In a pint glass, black with ruby notes and a dense cloud of pale tan head. Lots of retention and lacing.

Smells, as advertised, like chocolate. Some malt presence, but mostly the chocolate variety - logically.

Milk chocolate flavors and some depth. No coffee or the like, just sweet, milk chocolate. It's a bit like a milkshake. Not in a bad way, just factually.

The low carbonation is nice for the density of the beer. Not overly sweet, but a velvety drink.

It's a fine beer, but not one I'd be having unless I had the crave.

01-20-2010 18:24:50 | More by BillyBoysPie
afausser

Montana

2.65/5  rDev -34.2%

A: pours an almost black dark chocolate with a finger or so of fizzy tan head (with both decent lacing and retention). Looks decent, but not too impressive for the low ABV.

S: Very metallic and slight roasted malt. Also a bit milky and doesn't really smell much like beer.

T: Again, metallic. Creamy, but very slight chocolate--not at all what I would have expected. I'd honestly rather have had chocolate milk.

M: Smooth and light, but a bit oily and thin-bodied. Not sure that the body works very well with the style.

D: Not very drinkable at all. Had with lunch (so I should have been thirsty, right?) and almost left half the glass on the table. I thought I'd try this one though it hadn't jumped out at me to buy in the store, and I guess my initial instincts had been correct. I'd heard that this one was supposed to be decent, too. I wonder what went wrong.

01-20-2010 03:30:58 | More by afausser