Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +5%

A- Black body, no light passes through. Thin light brown head that doesn't last very long.
S- Not as strong as I would have thought. I do not get much of that chocolate roasted scent but rather more of a light molasses or cane sugar.
T- Chocolate come through on the tongue though. Fine balance of roasted malt, bitter and sweet.
M- Creamy and creamy. Slight warming alcohol on the end.
D- For mr, one by the fire. But I could have one every night by the fire. Really good milk stout.

gskitt, Dec 28, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

A very dark, unique beer. I got it to stretch my borders and this beer did that. A very drinkable, non-traditional beer. It has a great appearance and aroma upon initial contact. The flavor was very unique and the chocolate hints make it a beer worth testing. It's perfect as a closer or for something sweet and different. I'm glad I got it and feel confidant in suggesting it as a. beer to test the boundaries.

CalhounJohn, Dec 25, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A: black as midnight body, two finger tan head, decent lacing.

S: blend of bitter dark chocolate, sweet milk chocolate, mild coffee, and toasted nuts.

T: sweet, with a hint of bitter chocolate, nice roasted nuts to cut the sweetness down.

M: med/heavy body, like a beer milk shake, goes down so smoothly. low carbonation.

D: Honestly, I hesitated to try this, thinking either this will be delicious or gross. It was divine; wonderful after dinner brew.
Treat yourself and have one of these.

BeerLover99, Dec 21, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured into a pint glass given off a very nice 2 finger head of a perfect light brown. Minimal lacing with a dark brown walnut body. Ring and bubble marks stay throughout leaving a nice light brown easy circle.

Smell of faint milk chocolate, some minor cream whiffs. not much else though, but it's quite pleasant.

Taste disappoints a bit, with a very soda pop tingle like carbonation on the tongue. Aftertaste is almost exclusively watered down club soda and carbon dioxide. Where is the flavor in this beer where did it go on the palate from what I smelled before? There is an extremely faint note of whipped chocolate on the end but it's nearly impossibly to detected because of all the fizz. This is also very wet in body. Malt where art thou?

Don't want another one.

smakawhat, Dec 20, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

appearance; black, no chance of seeining through it. Thick and creamy beige head with outstanding, sticky lacing, that nearly covers the side of the glass. Head retains from start to finish.

smell; bitter dark chocolate and lactic coffee aromas. Some roasted sweetness. Very well balanced but overall kind of weak.

taste; fresh sweet cream, very lactic but the sweetness is not cloying because a dark chocolate bitterness bites and fizzles to a roasted malt and burnt finish. A chocolate aftertaste lingers with some hops and alcohol.

mouthfeel; surprisingly light and predictably creamy. Very smooth and slick in the finish. Little carbonation.

drinkability; This beer goes down so smooth and refreshing. It's rich without being over the top, can't be any better IMO.

Sachsenfreude, Dec 20, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Notes from 12/12/2010:

500 mL bottle at 42* into a dimpled mug.

A: This pours a completely opaque pitch black color with a billowing, two-finger, light khaki head with great retention and decent lace.

S: The nose is of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, hazelnuts, and caramel.

T: The taste is also that of dark and milk chocolates (surprising, I know), with some creamy dessert undertones.

M: The body is medium-thick and quite creamy.

D: This makes for quite a wonderful dessert.

bucklemyshoe, Dec 19, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap in a pint glass. Dark black body with a nice sticky dark tan head. Good lacing and rentention.

Light aroma of roasted malt and chocolate.

Pretty tasty blend of chocolate and malt. No doubt, the most chocolately brew I've ever had and pretty darn tasty. Good for dessert.

FanofHefe, Dec 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up earlier this year in Ontario at the LCBO. Best before March 4, 2011.

Pours a matte black with two fingers of thick, chocolate hued head. Plenty of lacing left on the glass.

Scent is a sweet mocha flavor.The chocolate nature of this is pretty apparent.

Not as chocolaty as I would have expected, though chocolate is there. Very sweet up front. Slight coffee taste at the back. Somewhat creamy aftertaste.

Honestly, this reminds me of a cross between Dieu du Ceil's Aphrodasiaque and the Peche Mortel. Certainly not a bad thing. Good as a desert, not so much for general drinking.

Seanstoppable, Dec 16, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6%

Tried a pint of this one over @ Blokes and Birds in Chicago.

Appearance - The place was a little dark where I was at, but when I held the glass up to a candle, there was no light coming through. Solid dark brown maybe even black. Slightly less than half a finger of dense creamy head on top, leaving spotting lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell - Dark chocolate and a hint of alcohol. Pretty straight forward

Taste- Mostly dark chocolate up front & slight caramelized malt flavor. Not as sweet as I expected, since the beer and logo for the beer reminds me of something from Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory. A faint flavor of alcohol is present (as suggested by the smell) as well, but isn't a bad thing (it is beer after all). The whole flavor experience in the mouth is a surprisingly short, clean one. None of that lingering roasted flavor that is sometimes present in some stouts.

Mouth feel - Extremely smooth and creamy. This stout certainly shines in this department. The low level of carbonation and creaminess of the beer make it feel somewhat viscous in the mouth. Lovely.

Drink-ability - Pretty agreeable beer to drink. Pretty filling as well, could only drink one pint of this, or less. The alcohol flavor in there, too, may have reduced the drink ability for me, personally. Not exactly refreshing either.

Overall - I'd give it a B+ or A- because it's pleasant to have tried this, but stouts are not my most favorite style of beer, but it seems to be of high quality and thoughtfully made.

Axismundi, Dec 15, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a guinness glass, an amazing dark almost not even see through color. The head was an milk chocolate color. Smelled like chocolate milk, with a little bit of roasted malts. The head tastes exactly like chocolate milk, and then the fullness of this beer comes out and is amazing. Has a nice coffee after taste
This is a wonderful stout that drinks a little like you would expect milk too. probably the most impressive part of this beer is its lacing. you can see lacing throughout the entire drink of this beer. I would love to try this beer on tap

IIKaRuII, Dec 15, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

I bought a couple of Imperial Pints of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in a grocery store. Poured into an American pint glass.

Pours a black walnut color and is nearly opaque. The head is a creamy light brown color, resembling a chocolate shake.

Smell is a semi-sweet chocolate aroma, with an earthy note. Peat perhaps or some sort of grain.

Taste is decidedly chocolaty, with a hint of coffee bitterness. The chocolate flavor is more milk chocolate than dark.

Mouthfeel is very good. Full bodied and smooth but not cloying.

Very drinkable and very sessionable brew. It's particularly good in the winter season. Reminds me of a now retired beer called Snow Plow from Widmer. I miss Snow Plow.

RJLarse, Dec 13, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer at the yardhouse. the guy didn't pour it very well but it still has a minimal creamy tan head which tasted great. The beer was dark brown smelled vaguely like chocolate and a little more malty. The beer tasted very good...like bittersweet chocolate with a nice lingering chocolate finish. Nothing too heavy or too sweet and not too much carbonation. I would definitely drink this beer again.

bellafromsocal, Dec 12, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on nitro-tap at the local pub. The tan nitro-cascade effect head was two fingers thick and stayed. The aroma is malty with hints of chocolate initially but with time and as the beer warms up, chocolate takes over completely. So is the case with taste, initially when the beer is cold, the taste is predominantly malty, with hints of chocolate and a dry finish, but as it warms up, the chocolate takes over. Rich, creamy mouthfeel, a delicious brew. Drinkability is very good. This is one stout I can have anytime, anyplace. Highly recommended.

CaptDavyJones, Dec 11, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

A: pitch black w great lasting thick voluminous tan head.
S: cocoa / milk chocolate, dark roasted malts.
T: lightly Sweet chocolatey malt. Dry finish. Balance from the roast.
M: smooth and supple. Light bodied. Creamy and round.
D: clean dry chocolatey finish and low abv begs another sip.

MrMcGibblets, Dec 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Dark brown with a nice tan head

S - like chocolate!

T- bittersweet chocolate flavor that is not too heavy that leaves great aftertaste

M- thin isnt overly obtrusive and works out good for the style

D- pretty great I could drink several in one sitting

philmorepunk87, Dec 11, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I have had this before and it was pretty good, so when I saw it in the store tonight, I thought, "Hey, what better beer than Young's Double Chocolate Stout on a cold night like tonight?"

A: Just like every other stout, it is very dark black with hints of redwood around the edges where the light tries to come through.

S: I get a scent of roasted malt, not astringent or burnt but a mellow roasty maltiness.

T: Hits you with chocolate right up front. Its very pleasant and followed by the malty sweetness which is then evened up by the hops. Nice and well balanced.

M: This beer is a little heavy on the palate. It coats the mouth with a nice richness and the carbonation prepares you for another swig.

D: Its a stout true to form so after half my bottle, I'm getting full. If it were a lighter style, I would be downing them like no one's business, but then it wouldn't be a stout.

MikeyMisfit, Dec 11, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle into 16oz pint glass.
A: Opaque black in color with a one finger tan head. Very fine carbonation coming up from the bottom. Leaves nice lacing in the glass.
S: Chocolate!
T: Nice roasted malt taste with a very strong chocolate presence.
M: Soft and creamy, but not heavy on the mouth. Almost no carbonation can be felt in the mouth.

goalie33, Dec 10, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -1%

Classic nitro driven cascade action on the pour. One finger of off-white head. Deep brown. Nose of barley malt, chocolate, and black licorice. Malt flavor balances well with chocolate and only a slight tinge of anise. Very sweet stout. Medium body. Highly quaffable.

Swill5786, Dec 10, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Dark dark like all stouts but what stands out about this pour is how ridiculously SILKY this beer looks. Very unique pour. I like it.

S - Milk chocolate, caramel malts.

T - Chocolatey but not real quality tasting. Tastes like Hersheys chocolate more so than some elite Belgian or Swiss chocolate. Milky. Tastes like chocolate milk if it were ever made into a beer. A glorified Guinness here.

M - So silky and smooth. Really something how this one goes down.

D - Good drinkability. I can imagine throwing these back around a poker table with my friends in winter. Nice. Overpriced a bit though. Might be because it's imported, but $9.00+ for a 4-pack of these is way too much for this beer.

jmerloni, Dec 08, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a deep black with a very thick creamy tan head. The head lasts the entire time and leaves very thick creamy lacing.

S: Great smell of roasted malts and milk chocolate. Makes you want to dive right in.

T: A very nice roasted malt taste at the start but as you swallow the milk chocolate hits you. Amazing combination.

M: A body that's a bit on the lighter side but not too light. Very creamy and smooth. Coats the mouth nicely.

D: Easily one of my favorites. As it warms the tastes come out a lot more so drink it closer to room temperature to enjoy it the most.

marty21, Dec 05, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We pour a brew of the darkest brown. It puts up a mocha colored head of two fingers which, while receding, leaves thick circular lacing. Very little shines through the edges when held to the light, so no sediment or degree of carbonation can be assessed visually. A swirl and a sniff reveal a sweet beer, with chocolate and roasty malts, light medicinals and alcohol, and a metallic aroma, likely lent by the additional chocolates used. The flavor begins with huge roasted malts. These combine through the middle with smooth chocolate and coffee notes. The latter flavors remain for a slightly bitter and chalky aftertaste. There are also mild hints of cinnamon and the metals from the nose trailing on the backend. The mouthfeel is slick, smooth, and somewhat coating. The generous chocolate leaves the mouth on the dry side. Carbonation is low to medium, and the body is medium, yet seemingly lighter. With the low abv and the pleasurable feel, this beer drinks respectably.

Overall, the best thing about this beer was strong delivery of chocolate throughout the taste, and the pleasing, creamy mouthfeel. The beer looks great when you first pour it, with the head shooting up, and lingering for a bit. If there is a category in which the beer lacks, it would be aroma. There is a tinge of slightly unpleasant metal, which does smooth out as it warms up, but it could have been a bit stronger and more complex.

TheBrewo, Dec 05, 2010

This is as good as a beer can get. Of all the chocolate and oatmeal stouts available, there is no equal. This beer has a beautiful ebony color, gorgeous rich foamy head, an aroma to die for, and a taste that is superior. I am in love with this beer. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, give me some Young's.

ronniebruner, Dec 05, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -58.2%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

willPS21, Dec 05, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

As I crack open the can to this exceptional dessert worthy brew, the smell of a fine dark chocolate truffle startles the tips of my nose hairs with its beautiful rich notes. The pour is one classic of a nitrogen based endevour however lends to a more high end feel much better then the uncanny over rated guiness brew.

As I lift my fine crafted sniffer glass to my mauve colored quivering lips, my mouth begins to release bountiful droplets of clean paleted saliva awaiting the arrival of the chocolatley goodness.

As the brew slothes down the gallows of my awaiting throat I begin to realize I have officialy arrived in Youngs Double Chocolate Stout heaven.

cenci1m, Dec 04, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Finally tried this on-tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY. Pours a deep dark brown with a foamy tan head, leaving a tremendous amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is a beautiful roasty mix of malt, caramel, and chocolate. The taste is also very good. Slightly bitter, but still easy to drink. Great beer.

oldirtycaffrey, Dec 03, 2010