Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We pour a brew of the darkest brown. It puts up a mocha colored head of two fingers which, while receding, leaves thick circular lacing. Very little shines through the edges when held to the light, so no sediment or degree of carbonation can be assessed visually. A swirl and a sniff reveal a sweet beer, with chocolate and roasty malts, light medicinals and alcohol, and a metallic aroma, likely lent by the additional chocolates used. The flavor begins with huge roasted malts. These combine through the middle with smooth chocolate and coffee notes. The latter flavors remain for a slightly bitter and chalky aftertaste. There are also mild hints of cinnamon and the metals from the nose trailing on the backend. The mouthfeel is slick, smooth, and somewhat coating. The generous chocolate leaves the mouth on the dry side. Carbonation is low to medium, and the body is medium, yet seemingly lighter. With the low abv and the pleasurable feel, this beer drinks respectably.

Overall, the best thing about this beer was strong delivery of chocolate throughout the taste, and the pleasing, creamy mouthfeel. The beer looks great when you first pour it, with the head shooting up, and lingering for a bit. If there is a category in which the beer lacks, it would be aroma. There is a tinge of slightly unpleasant metal, which does smooth out as it warms up, but it could have been a bit stronger and more complex.

TheBrewo, Dec 05, 2010

This is as good as a beer can get. Of all the chocolate and oatmeal stouts available, there is no equal. This beer has a beautiful ebony color, gorgeous rich foamy head, an aroma to die for, and a taste that is superior. I am in love with this beer. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, give me some Young's.

ronniebruner, Dec 05, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -58.2%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

willPS21, Dec 05, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

As I crack open the can to this exceptional dessert worthy brew, the smell of a fine dark chocolate truffle startles the tips of my nose hairs with its beautiful rich notes. The pour is one classic of a nitrogen based endevour however lends to a more high end feel much better then the uncanny over rated guiness brew.

As I lift my fine crafted sniffer glass to my mauve colored quivering lips, my mouth begins to release bountiful droplets of clean paleted saliva awaiting the arrival of the chocolatley goodness.

As the brew slothes down the gallows of my awaiting throat I begin to realize I have officialy arrived in Youngs Double Chocolate Stout heaven.

cenci1m, Dec 04, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Finally tried this on-tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY. Pours a deep dark brown with a foamy tan head, leaving a tremendous amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is a beautiful roasty mix of malt, caramel, and chocolate. The taste is also very good. Slightly bitter, but still easy to drink. Great beer.

oldirtycaffrey, Dec 03, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from an 11.8 (?) ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A - Jet black, roasted coffee bean brown hues in the light, topped with a frothy and creamy light beige head.

S - Chocolate syrup, dark chocolate nibs, roasted coffee bean shells, white pepper.

T - Pure bliss (or luxury, as labeled on the bottle). This drinks smooth, creamy and mellow with tamed carbonation that's a perfect compliment for the delicate flavors this entails. Milk chocolate mid-palate with some light alcohol esters sticking around on the finish.

M - Smooth, creamy and mellow.

D - At 5.2% I was surprised to see alcohol here, so I knocked it down 0.5 point. Dangerously drinkable for it's flavors but I wish those heat esters would mellow out a bit more than they are. Maybe some age would do it well. Nonetheless, this is still a decadent milk and chocolately stout.

ShanePB, Dec 03, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance: Very dark in color with a beige head. Head stayed with the beer for a little bit. Lacing was pretty decent.

Smell: Smelled strongly of chocolate, no surprise. There was also some dark malts that came out and very little hop aroma. Smelled very sweet.

Taste: Strongly of chocolate, again no surprise. Tasted very sweet on the front of the pallet. Some dark and caramel malts. A little bit of coffee to finish off.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, like silk.

Drinkability: Not too high of an ABV so could potentially drink quite a bit but a bit too sweet to have more than probably 2.

MirImage, Dec 01, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Near pure black color, but I've been able to see some brown in it. Aggressive pour gives a good nice 2-3 inches beige head, really creamy looking. Retention is ok but lacing is quite superb for the abv. Really good looking beer for sure.

S: There is a lot of sweet chocolate in this. Definitely smells like a good glass of chocolate milk. There is also strong amount of maple syrup smell in this. Slight roasted malts smell but not as much as most stouts, a bit of coffee. Vanilla and brown sugar are in there too. Light nuttyness. I differ with other reviewers and thought this one smelled quite strong considering it's a low abv stout.

T: Well the taste is much more balanced than the smell. The roasted characteristics are much more present, giving a good roasted malts and dry coffee smell. The chocolate is still there, but I expected a bit more since it's called the "Double Chocolate Stout", but it is right up there with most milk/sweet stout. Again, for the sweetness, there is some amount of brown sugar, toffee, maple syrup and slight vanilla. There is also definitely oatmeal in this too.

M: Medium to heavy feel with medium carbonation. Fits the beer quite well. The feel is, like with most milk/sweet stout, very creamy.

D: Superb drinkability considering it's a stout. The taste is very balanced and interesting.

One of my all time favorite brew!

flipper2gv, Nov 30, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A rich back body with one finger dense tan head. The nose is so full of chocolate and roasted grains! It smells like roasted hot chocolate. The flavor is rich dark chocolate with a blast of lactose and roasted grains. The body is light with solid carbonation.

I love this beer! The chocolate, lactose, and roasted balance is perfect in this beer, and I make sure to pick it up as often as I can. I could drink this beer all night long (and have).

jlandis, Nov 29, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Super dark. Deep brown, almost black. Creamy, frothy head tan with thick clinging lace. Beautiful.

S- Dark chocolate, sweet malts, and a hint of coffee. Faint.

T- Unsweetened dark chocolate, malts, hints of coffee and spice.

M- Medium body with creamy edge.

D- Very easy to drink. Not overly sweet. Heavy enough to make a sipper, but only 5.2 on alcohol so no burn.

JayS2629, Nov 28, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in tap at mcnellies in okc.

Slight cocoa aroma. Big fluffy black beer with big tan head.

Flavor is chocolaty (more present as it warms up) , iced coffee and cream. Just a bit of toastiness.

Mouthfeel is nitro fluffy like a Guinness. Very drinkable.

jmbranum, Nov 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bishops Arms in Lund, Sweden.

Appearance - extremely dark brown/almost black with a small head that dissipated rapidly

Smell - delicious. Chocolate, a little bit of burnt odor, and a bit of a nutty smell? Smells almost like raw cocoa.

Taste - taste gets most of the smell components, although a bit less chocolate to the taste than is in the smell. tastes great, but just a tad watery for what I was expecting

Mouthfeel - goes down "smooth" with a nice carbonation. not much to say here, other than that I enjoyed it.

Drinkability - I'm glad these cost 60 SEK apiece, because otherwise I'd have been downing them...

NOTE:

Editing review. Had this on tap again last night in Carlisle, PA.
This beer was delicious. I felt like i needed to modify my rating slightly.

mountsnow1010, Nov 23, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a nitro-pint can into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint

A-Holy crap this is pretty. The way the carbonation and creamy foam mixes with the super dark body of the beer is gorgeous. Through the glass, it looked like the bubbles were cascading like a waterfall, only upwards. It was a transcendental moment for me. Anyway, the body is opaque and the head is super creamy and tan in apprearance. The head stuck around for a long time and left decent lacing.

S-Eh, kinda bland. The nose is vaguely sweet, but that's about it.

T-The first quarter of the brew was kinda boring, tasted a lot like a more burnt Guinness. But once the beer warmed up, the choclate notes really came out, especially on the finish.

MF-Holy crap, this is without a doubt the creamiest beer I have ever had. The head was omnipresent, therefore getting through it to the beer with every sip gave a very creamy feel.

D-Not bad at all, but I wouldn't see myself sessioning this beer (even though I probably COULD, I wouldn't want to)

Overall, this is a fun beer, and I'll probably drink more in the future. I see myself making a sweet black and tan with this. I also would be very interested in trying this in the bottle and on-tap instead of nitro can.

phideltashaggy, Nov 23, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown head the body is totally opaque. A decent amount of lacing.

More of a coffee than a chocolate smell. Also a Smokiness as well was noticeable. I do smell a decent amount of hops upfront, which is strange for me for a stout.

A decently thick creamy body. Hardly any carbonation at all. It feels really light in the mouth, reminds me of whip cream.

The taste is all roasted chocolate malts and a slight bitterness in hops. I felt like I was eating a chocolate Easter bunny, which isn't too bad of a thing.

I could have a few of these, it's pretty good.

9InchNails, Nov 23, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3%

Draft. On nitro at Town Hall Tap. Poured into a pint glass a dark brown/black color with a nitro style tiny bubbled tan head. Chocolate milk and vanilla dominate the nose. The taste is oh so good chocolate goodness, not overly so, but for sure is the dominate flavor. Nice vanilla flavors as well. A total desert beer. Smooth, velvety, creamy medium/heavy mouthfeel. Semi sweet. Good overall but not sure how much I could drink.

kbutler1, Nov 22, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Pitch black with brown creamy head.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate.

Definitely taste of chocolate and more chocolate, feel is very creamy and some chewiness as the malt flavor comes through. Finnishes with a slight bitterness and evasive fruitiness - blackberry.

Chickenhawk9932, Nov 21, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours a splendid black color with a thin milky looking head that lasts the entirety of the beer and copious rings of lacing.
S- Rather subdued, but semisweet chocolate and slight roasted coffee smells.
T- Definite chocolate presence, especially as it warms. Slightly sweet finish with hints of espresso.
M- Lighter than I expected, but not necessarily bad. Low carbonation is appreciated here.
D- This is definitely a beer that must be consumed on it's own as it tends to detract from any non dessert foods. It's uniqueness probably limits it to one per sitting for me. I did find it very tasty and if you want chocolate drink this one.

jsprain1, Nov 19, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

16.9 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance - very black with a fluffy tan head that takes ages to recede. It leaves a thick lacing as it shrinks from the two-finger original height.

Smell - I'll be honest, I expected more chocolate in the nose. The malt is all I smell. Not bad, but not exactly what I expected or hoped for.

Taste - It's a nice toasty flavour, but again, the chocolate doesn't come through as much as I had thought it would. Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is there, but it comes in a much more subdued way. You get it on the finish, but it doesn't hold on, and the aftertaste is more milky than chocolatey.

Mouthfeel - the beer is very creamy. The carbonation is very, very small. I think it suits this type of beer well, but I can take it or leave it, personally.

Drinkability - good, but again, I expected more from this beer. It's one that I would drink on someone else's nickel, but there are chocolate stouts out there that drink better.

JimLetson, Nov 19, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

14.9oz Nitro can poured into a Guinness Imperial pint.

A: Pours a dark brown/black with some lighter ruby coloration. This is a nitro beer, and it has the famous "cascading bubbles" effect. It is fun to watch, and I'll admit it never really gets old. Very creamy and wet looking khaki-colored two finger head. Typical nitro stout appearance. The head lasts forever. In fact, it neatly deposits itself at the bottom of the glass when the beer is gone. Tons of foamy, sticky lacing clings to almost every inch of the glass.

S: Creamy milk chocolate, faint burnt smells, roasted malt, and some coffee.

T: Slightly acrid burnt taste quickly gives way to luscious milk chocolate. Coffee comes out a bit too. Finishes with milk chocolate and some roasted malt tastes.

M: Rather light on the tongue, but with that full, smooth, and creamy nitro mouthfeel. Think Guinness Draught, but a little thicker.

D: I'm indifferent here. Not a bad beer, sits lightly in the stomach, but I'm really not that motivated to have another.

Notes: A decent beer, but the nitro mouthfeel coupled with the candy bar milk-chocolate taste just makes it all feel a little too artificial. It didn't do too much for me. I would like to try the bottled (non-nitro) version to see how that compares.

Edit: Some three years later I finally got around to sampling this from the bottle. As expected, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. On nitro the milk chocolate character of the beer is played up a lot. in the bottled version a lot more roasted barley character pulls through. Espresso and a light acidity are more apparent.

ryan1788a5, Nov 11, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Chocolate syrup with a bit of carbonation. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is really thick overall, especially considering the alcohol content is not that high.

Smell: Chocolate malt and (Surprise!) more chocolate! Maybe some coffee as well. Not really any hops. This stuff is really sweet-smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Chocolate...totally chocolate. Nice malt blend as well. Feels nice, but maybe a tad bit oily.

Drinkability: About as drinkable as a chocolate milkshake, which I found very drinkable.

Overall: I know I'm repeating myself in saying this stuff is chocolate, but hey, a spade's a spade.

tjsdomer2, Nov 05, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

As if I was in love with them before, I'm really starting to loathe nitrogenated beer. I've had this beer twice in the past 10 days on-tap, straight CO2, and it was wonderful. Like quite nothing else I've had. Tried it in the can today (first time in awhile) and was sadly dissatisfied. Luckily, the same joint where I bought this has it in conventional bottles, so I'll atone for this insult to my tongue.

I will continue to rave about the look of beer served like this. Entertaining cascade effect, thick, off-white creamy head lending desserty meringue sheets of lacing. With the nearly pitch black color, it creates a stark, arty contrast. Love it.

The aroma and taste are (naturally) severely muted here compared to the regular drafts I had previously. The biggest casualty perhaps is the decadent dark chocolate flavor, unlike any other brew. A good bit of hoppy bitterness and the soft roasty/toasty biscuity malt remains, but without the chocolate, this is hardly the complete package. But for it's style, I'm happy to find only the slightest sweetness (in either of the servings I've had so far), whereas I've come accustomed to tasting a more sour, sugary sweet character taken from the lactose. They've crafted a fine ale indeed. Just avoid the can.

Bouleboubier, Nov 02, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am not a big stout drinker, but after sampling this brew at a nearby restaurant, I HAD to have my own pint! Everyone at the table was impressed with this one. It is a beautiful black mocha color with an impressive lingering head. It smells toasty and chocolaty. This beer is like drinking creamy chocolate beer without the sweet...yummy! Drinkability is good, but it IS a stout. One was plenty for me, because it is so rich and filling. I normally go for pale ale's, and I loved it, so this one is definitely worth your time!

dataskatt, Oct 31, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

a great style for the nitro can and a wonderful chocolate feel of creaminess. look is eye candy out of the candy and has a delicious tasting head. nose of carob and cocoa. this is in the palate obviously with a cocoa added quality to it. not extremely thick and rich though. besides the noted chocolate the beer as an interesting toastiness about it. a tad sour licorice smokey. and a mild mineral chalk feel.

rtepiak, Oct 31, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3%

A: Awesome pinky size head that will not go down, lots of lacing left after each sip and a jet black color. What more do you expect from a draft (nitro) stout?

S: Had to really get almost into the foam to get a good idea of the aroma...chocolate, dark fruit, malt and very faint hop bitters. Faint, unfortunately, but good when you get it.

T: Like a malted chocolate milkshake, a little hop bitters and some slightly toasted malt to round it out. Very nice.

M: Very creamy and smooth, excellent feel as you'd expect for a pub draft.

D: Nice stuff, and easy to drink as a draft. No more than one pint of this will do though, it's just a little too sweet and chocolatey for too much of this.

Dreadnaught33, Oct 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +9%

500mL bottle, best by 3/26/11

Pours nicely with a good head which has good retention throughout.

Smell is dominated by sweet milk and dark chocolates, really not much else there, no caramel or coffee smells like I expected to go along w/choc....Pleasantly surprised with that

Mouthfeel is extra creamy, as if I 'd added milk to the beer...has creamier, more balanced flavor than many so called cream stouts

Very smooth to drink, flavors remain constant with smell...very mild caramel and coffee hints, texture is very creamy which is perfect with the milky flavor...not overly carbonated and only 5.2% alcohol, the only thing double about this beer is the chocolate, not the alcohol. I like this, nice to have a smooth drinking specialty stout for a change.

Not overly sweet but sweet nevertheless, pair with some chocolate or chocolate inspired deserts.

Do yourself a favor and let the last half of the beer warm to 60 degrees F or more, brings out the texture.

Adamthome1, Oct 28, 2010