Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Live review. Poured from the 14.9 oz. nitro can that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $2.25 last night into my Brewery Ommegang Westvleteren style gold rimmed goblet. Stamped on the bottom of the can:
BBD 10Feb 12 10:42
PD 10/02/2011 G4
Side of the can states: “Best before see base of can” so that leads me to think that it is best before Feb 10, 2012 but I am not sure what the other date (PD?) is.

A Pours an absolutely silky smooth head with maybe the smallest “nitro can” bubbles that I have ever seen. I mean really, only once before have I seen a silkier, smoother looking head and that was on a nitro Guinness. The body is jet black and it took several minutes for the head to settle up on the top. The look simply could not be improved upon. 5.0

S Dark, dark roast malt with a dark chocolate background. It does not, however, have the nice deep, even soft smell of my favorite from this style. 4.0

T Dark roast malt, the chocolate is there as it was in the smell but it is more thin tasting than I would like. I have found that to be the case in English beers and I think that this one falls in line with that quality. I have tasted better in the style and better Stouts with Chocolate added. The one within the style that I liked better was Samuel Adams Cream Stout. The chocolate stout that comes to mind is Southern Tier Choklat but there are probably others. 3.5

M The possibilities suggested by the excellent presentation were not realized in the taste but the feel remained welcomingly smooth. 4.0

D One and done for me but I did enjoy it. To me this is a dessert beer. 3.5

Notes: I am glad to finally buy, drink, and rate this beer as it is one of the most frequently rated here on BeerAdvocate and I must admit that I was curious.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 550mL bottle out of the beer fridge (45 degrees) into a Spiegelau Stemmed Pilsner (tulip) glass.

A: The liquid pours a dark chocolate brown out of the bottle but resides pitch black in the glass. A bubbly 1-finger head recedes gently, leaving almost a full coating of lace. Very nice.

S: Dark toasty malt aroma, chocolate, charred molasses, bittersweet mocha, coffee, an extremely complex aroma here.

T: First sip reveals a big blast of chocolate, followed immediately by roasted coffee and finishes with more dark cocoa. Subsequent sips produce less chocolate up front, but it does make its appearance mid-stream, along with some milky hints.

M: Somewhat watery consistency, but low-medium carbonation adds some creaminess. Finish is dry with a slight bitterness to clean things up.

O: Outstanding! Very impressed with this brew, which was unexpected. I thought the chocolate would overwhelm the flavor profile, but thankfully it did not. Very well done overall. A bit pricey, but would be well worth buying as a treat every now and then.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours black with creamy 1 finger tan head. A little lighter (brownish) around and the edges. Great head retention and thick lacing.

Smells or roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate.

Taste is malty with a good balanced bitterness akin to a Guinness. Chocolate actually hits a little later. Long enjoyable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very creamy.

Overall a delicious stout that makes a great after-dinner drink. This is one that I have always put off trying for some reason. It was worth the wait.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

500 mL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.
Best before date: 18/10/11

Appearance- Pours a black colour pretty much completely opaque with no light getting through anywhere on this one. Has a big fluffy three fingers of tan head that slowly resides to a nice thick ring leaving lots of spider lacing throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- Lots of roasted malts hit you right away paired with chocolate of course, and a hint of bitter coffee thrown in there as well

Taste- Just like the smells the taste comes through right away with a big thick wallop of roasted malts, then the bitter coffee comes into play balanced by the sweet chocolate and finishes off with more roast.

Mouthfeel- This stout has a medium mouth feel that is very smooth and creamy, very good carbonation that leaves a nice little top of bubbly foam right till the finish.

Overall- A very good stout, looks sexy, smells sexy, and the taste is there to match. Very good carbonation for a stout as well, I was pleasantly surprised by that not to mention the whole experience itself. When I first got this I thought it was going to taste like a watered down stout aka guiness but once I tasted it I was almost shocked, this rivals a lot of quality stouts that I have tasted before, my only gripe is the low ABV which is kind of unusual for stouts.

4.38/5  rDev +9%

On the nitro at Max's today.

The beer pours the expected blackish brown color with this beer's customary fabulous, mocha colored, creamy pillow on tap. Head retention is exceptional, with considerable sticky lacing all around. The nose is attractive, but this is really the only place this beer falls off a bit. Nevertheless, I get an attractive nose of light vanilla, milk chocolate and coffee. However, on the palate this beer once again flirt with perfection. The beer has something of a burnt toast flavor, which is quickly overwhelmed by cherry vanilla and dark chocolate. Mouthfeel is as good as it gets. This beer is light, soft and creamy, with a nearly endless, smooth finish. Drinkability is just stunning. The alcohol is not at all noticeable, and yet it's nothing short of astonishing how much flavor this low abv. beer delivers. An absolute benchmark, especially on the nitro. Just excellent....

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pours black with an impressive 3 fingers of tan froth that sits on top. Head dissipates slowly and lacing paints the inside the of glass. Very delicious looking.

S: Bittersweet chocolate and coffee

T: Roasty. Dark chocolate upfront and coffee throughout. Also a bit of hop bitterness towards the end.

M: Thick and smooth. Could be a tad creamier, but otherwise really great.

O: Sort of straightforward, but very delicious. A great desert beer for any occasion.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

poures a nice black color, no head just a khaki ring with a little lacing. smell and taste are both the same with chocolate, sweet malts and slight roasted bitter coffee. mouthfeel is a little thin but tastes more carbonated than the lack of head would suggest. overall a good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

When poured into my Guinness glass, it cascaded beautifully and had a quarter inch cream colored head. Has a nutty smell. In my opinion it has a decadent dark chocolate taste with the slight bitterness of coffee. It has a thick body yet not too filling. I love this beer as a dessert or just to savour at the end of a long day.

Try it as a chocolate truffle. approx. 2oz Lambic Framboise to 12oz Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

4.18/5  rDev +4%

A: a very dark brown to black pour with the tan cascading bubbles typical of the nitro can. Thick, finger width, creamy head. Looks delicious.
S: Straight up coffee and chocolate here. The draught version is more pronounced but this is no slouch. Very sweet.
T: Roasted malts and coffee beans with the aforementioned chocolate. The chocolate starts out sweet but finishes with more of a dark chocolate flavor...bittersweet and roasty.
M: Thick, creamy and smooth. Superb.
O: Huge fan, but not as up to snuff as it's draught brother. The utter smoothness of this brew combined with it's outstanding flavor make this one to come back to again and again. Worth the cost.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

I had this from a can while away for business.

A - Very dark, typical for a stout like this

S - Smells strong of chocolate and coffee. Wife loves the smell of this one!

T - Taste going in is great, but leaves a strange aftertaste from the chocolate; the chocolate aftertaste is a bit strong for me

M - Smooth drink, full flavor

O - Overall a good stout, not my favorite however. A bit strong on the chocolate taste, especially going down. Smooth just as I like my stouts, but I'd find some better ones out there before trying this again.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Dark cola color. The head is fluffy and mocha colored; it builds up to two fingers that quickly dissipate.

Aroma, dark chocolate, and malts.

Mouthfeel: More or less it has a thin mouthfeel.

Taste: This beer obviously tastes like chocolate, but it is a faint and pleasant chocolate.

Overall: A nice beer to drink on any occasion, and because of the low ABV one does not have to worry about getting overpowered by this beer. The price is also a plus!

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a small one finger light light brown head. The head is super creamy and isn't going anywhere, as would be expected with a nitro beer. The body is pitch black, no hues of red or anything, completely dark, completely non-see through. Overall it looks pretty damn good, but it is a nitro beer, so it should look good. The smell is very nice, sweet chocolate on the nose, I also get a noticeable deep malt smell and perhaps a sour smell, like there would be in a Guinness, so I don't know if that has to do with the nitro or not. Overall the smell is chocolaty, it's a pretty good smell all around! I've had this in the bottle and I think I like it more, the nitro version has that Guinness sour taste to it, kinda an unpleasant taste, I mean it works in Guinness because it's not a Guinness without it, but I don't know if it works in this beer. It's very smooth and creamy, but the sour just interrupts what would be a huge chocolate flavor. I wouldn't mind having a big chocolate punch and then a mild sour taste, but as it is now it's 50% sour, then 50% chocolate. Overall I get a nice malt taste, and a nice chocolate taste, but unfortunately a decent sour taste. Overall, the taste is ok, not a good as I was expecting though. Mouthfeel is hard to describe, because anyone who has had a nitro beer knows that it is a unique mouthfeel. It's a very thin beer, but at the same time it's really creamy and smooth, with almost no carbonation. So it's not a bad mouthfeel, in fact it's good, just not as big as you would expect with a stout. The drinkability is actually pretty high, the beer goes down pretty easily Overall on this beer, good beer, and it's actually gotten more chocolaty as the beer has progressed, but still not what I was hoping for. Good beer, but not great.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Pitch black with super head retention and lacing.

S: Dark malt aroma and not much on the hop side.

T: Definite chocolate flavor along with roasted barley/black patent favors. A touch of coffee as well. Some rye notes as well??

M: Full mouthfeel. No holding back here.

O: Very nice stout with a strong chocolate/coffee and even licorice flavor hidden there somewhere. Roasted malt supply a fair portion of the bitterness.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

14.9 oz can poured into a standard pint glass

The pour produced a perfect creamy head you'd expect from a tap at a bar. The aroma was just like that of a Guinness. I really had to try to pick up a faint chocolate smell.

Upon the first sip, however, I got an immediate chocolate flavor. The creaminess was excellent and the mouthfeel is very smooth for a canned beer. Whatever inserts they use in these cans really work.

Nice roasted malt, rich chocolate and classic stout flavors all combine to make an excellent beer. Highly recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A- 4 Basically black in color with light showing brown at only the edges. There's a big fluffy tan 2 finger head on the pour that dissipates to a 1/4" throughout. The bubbles aren't all that uniform but there's smooth sheet-like lacing that looks nice.

S- 4 There's a dominant aroma of bittersweet chocolate. This is surely a combination of the chocolate, malts and hops used in this brew. Reminds me just a little of powdered hot chocolate mix. There's a tad bit of coffee in this scent as well.

T- 4 Like the aroma suggested, I taste chocolate and malt. A little bitterness is provided to keep it from being too sweet. Nice taste overall but not as complex as I'd hoped for. Reminiscent of chocolate milk at times.

M- 3.5 Medium in body (possibly just below) with ample carbonation, this is surprisingly light for the style. It is damn near watery, which I didn't remember about this one. I'd like a bit more creaminess. It is still smooth, however.

D- 4 This beer looks good, smells good, and tastes good... Yet there's something missing that has me lacking excitement over it. Regardless, it is solid overall. I'd be able to drink a few of these for sure because it has as light feel to go along with its good flavor.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured froma nitro can into a standard English pint glass.

A - Dark, dark brown, with a single finger, rich tan head, lots of nice lacing.

S - Chocolate and vanilla on the nose.

T - Lots of powdery chocloate upfront flowing into vanilla notes with a roasty finish, slight slate backbone.

M - Light to medium body, very little carbonation.

D - I like this brew, easy on the palate, very tasty.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Dark brown body, almost bordering on black. with a nice thick light brown head. Great head retention and very impressive lacing, courtesy of the nitro-widget.

S - The smell is very chocolatey, with hints of vanilla and coffee. Not super-intense and a bit weaker than in the bottled version, yet still nice!

T - Loaded with milk chocolate notes up front, with hints of vanilla, then going into a roasted flavour, followed by a slightly bitter finish. This is sweeter than the bottled version and tastes more like milk chocolate. Slight hints of coffee can also be picked up.

M - Light-to-Medium body. Creamy, smooth; feels amazing on the palate. Not very dry, no hint of alcohol.

O - I was immensely pleased with the nitro-can version. It's everything it claims to be and more! It's too bad we don't get it in my area.

2.53/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to like this beer. It has been several years and I bought one today just to revisit it.

I didn't smell much chocolate at all, hell, I smelled no chocolate. Maybe it's in the flavor! Nope, not there either. I think they forgot the chocolate in this brew. It is called DOUBLE chocolate so I really expected more from this thin, watery concoction.

There are plenty of other decent chocolate beers out there, pass this one by and pick another one up.

1.8/5  rDev -55.2%

Poured a nice black with a thin tan head. Not much light gets through.

Smells like a chocolate stout with a bit of coffee. Has a sort of chocolate syrup aroma to it.

Tastes like there is chocolate in this beer, but I can't get past this artificial taste it has. There is this weird chemical metallic taste. I could only get through a few sips of this beer.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin for the style.

Overall I did not like this one bit. Lots of people seem to like it, but not me. I didn't like it the first time. Then a few months later I picked up another bottle and got the same result. This beer has too much of an artificial taste to it. I love me some chocolate stouts, but this was a drain pour.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

16.9oz bottle into a pint glass. A generous gift from my parents, thanks so much! I remember loving this back in the day but honestly haven't had one in years.

This beer's strong suit is visible - the appearance! It's got a nice opaque black body, off white 2 finger head and great lace. Looks like a chocolate milkshake with whipped cream on top.

The nose is rather weird. That's due to a touch of yeastiness or chalkiness and a touch of metal that throw me off but dissipate as it warms. Caramel sweetness and cocoa powder are the rules of the day.

I really like the taste, as it's simple and smooth. A few layers of chocolate and caramel, coupled with dark fruit and milk chocolate. Once again, the metallic bitter finish stops the beer from scoring higher.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied plus but could be more viscious. Still, this is a great, creamy feel and a wonderful brew overall.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

500 ml bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic,
5.2% ABV, 23/04/11 (I'm assuming is best before).

A - The thick-feeling beer pours out into the pint clear but almost jet black. Short-lived cascading leads through great retention from the three-finger tan head to ring after ring of sticky lace.

S - Dusty, dry cocoa with molasses notes surrounding the bittersweet chocolate and heavily roasted malt aroma. Burnt bread in the background. A little lactose sweetness pulls through for balance.

T - The lactose sweetness and chocolate get lost through the overly roasted black malts. Burnt bread and bitter chocolate with cocoa. Chocolate presence in minimal.

M - The smooth entry leads to a medium body and clean swallow with an acrid, lingering bitterness through the finish.

O - This beer is much, much better from the nitro can than it is from the bottle in both taste and mouthfeel. The chocolate seems lost and the lack of the creamy mouthfeel doesn't help the cause.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

16oz nitro can is opened with a loud, elongated hiss. It is poured immediately into a large tulip glass. The beer leaving the can is a dark, Coca-Cola brown; almost black. As it hits the glass it turns into the classic nitro pour that I have grown to enjoy immensely. As the head slowly shrinks in size, a deep, dark, opaque liquid takes its place in the glass. The head is quite nice looking as well; it appears to be three-toned in color and look thick and impenetrable. Great head retention and a moderate amount of lacing as I empty the glass.

The nose is hard to pick up on in this beer. It is faint, consisting mostly of dark roasted malts and a light dusting of coco powder. I honestly think that the head on the beer is keeping the nose from truly opening up because as it settles I can smell a bit more.

The taste is quite similar to the nose. It is mild chocolate well balanced with a bitter roasted malt backdrop. It is light in all facets - lightly sweet, lightly roasted, lightly bitter notes. I was hoping for a bit more sweetness out of this considering its style.

It is light bodied in that it is extremely easy to drink and almost water-like, but it is very fluffy and seems very creamy in the way is fills your mouth with a small sip. Carbonation is well enough. It is incredibly smooth on the palate.

Overall this is a tasty stout but seems a bit more subdued in most categories than I was hoping for. Still a really solid beer though, now just wishing I had some dessert to compliment it. The price of the four back is a bit more than I would want to pay again but I hear this is phenomenal on tap so I will keep an eye out for it.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Nitro can poured into a glass.

Appearance - Cascading caramel ribbons falling down the side of the glass into the bottom deep black brown bottom 1/5th of the glass. Creamy one finger head with good retention.

Smell - Caramel, coffee, then chocolate. Maybe some vanilla.

Taste - Lightly creamed coffee, hop and slight malt. Slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall Drinkability - One of the best stouts I've had.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 16oz. Nitro-Can into a tulip glass.

A - Mahogany, shade away from ebony, ruby edged with a great thick creamy tan head. Not so much laces the glass as coats it. Fun to pour, and watch settle.

S - Like the can says, chocolate. Cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, amaretto, whiff of alcohol.

T - Certainly a lot of chocolate flavor, but nowhere near as much as the nose would lead you to believe! I was surprised by the slight bready sourness up front. Bitter bakers chocolate, doesn't linger long. Roasted coffee beans and alcohol fade quickly.

M & D - Smooth & creamy. Very little carbonation. Would make for pricey Irish Car Bombs.

You could suck down the four pack of cans easily. Alcohol wasn't noticeably present. Decent, but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Pint glass: Pours dark brown, creamy foam goodness.

S: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, a bit malty & rich molasses.

T: Dark bitter chocolate milk.

M: Creamy, smooth, a bit on the thin side.

D: Perfect to make an ice cream float with. Excellent stout!

O- Great beer there are better ones but glad that i finally bought one and gave it a try

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd