Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Opaque black with a huge uneven coffee colored head. Retention is excellent with thick, sticky lacing all the way down.

Sweet & roasty aroma with chocolate notes and some spicy hops in the background.

Starts with a big roasted, almost burnt, malt flavor that mellows into a chocolatey sweetness that hangs on through the finish. Balanced by a coffee-like bitterness that comes more from the heavily roasted malts than the hops.

Full bodied and smooth. Nice carbonoation.

More bitter and burnt than you'd expect from a milk stout, but still nicely balanced and very drinkable, especially when enjoyed with the dark chocolate truffles I busted out with my second pour.

Hoagie1973, Apr 14, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is what would happen if Guinness and chocolate milk had a child. Served in a pint glass from a nitro-can, the first thing that strikes the drinker is the thick, chocolaty pour. The smell parallels the chocolate character of the pint. Excellent mouth feel...smooth, creamy, very little carbonation. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is an excellent dessert beer that I can't see myself getting sick of.

ericmunley, Apr 11, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Deep brown body with edges of tan. Reasonable beige-brown head of rocky, coarse bubbled foam, fed by a rather large amount of carbonation. Head sits down after a while to merely a collar of bubbles. It's not a magnificent looking stout out of a bottle - no doubt a nitro-can widget might help this.

Dark cocoa and powdered sugar on the nose, very sweet and aromatic. The chocolate character is definitely most noticeable, and it's really very good. Dry and dusty, but sweet - so sweet. Delicious.

Taste is also very good. Rich, toasted entry swooping down to a sweet, chocolatey back palate. Dark cocoa powder again, hints of condensed milk and a wonderful sticky kind of smoothness in the mouth. (Does this have oats in it? It does!)

What a great beer! Genuinely pleasant, sweet and rich. It may not look like a magnificent stout, but that's certainly what it is. Maybe milder than the riproarin'est stout you can get, but this is a supremely drinkable brew that I'll be seeking out again for sure.

lacqueredmouse, Apr 09, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation - Beautiful 16.9 oz bottle. The label doesn't matter if the beer is good, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Appearance - Dark black with just a little head - this is probably because I didn't have a glass large enough for the whole bottle (16.9 oz). Thin layer sticks around the whole way through with some lacing

Smell - The aroma is that of a typical stout. It smells good, but not really any different than most stouts.

Taste - Chocolate. Double chocolate. The name is what it is. Some coffee notes but mostly chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Very creamy and rich.

Drinkability - I could drink a few of these, though the richness would be enough to limit me. I'll certainly be coming back to this one when I can afford it again or when I'm in the UK.

chriseay, Apr 08, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

CAN you dig it?

The pressurized can gave off a hissing, wheezing noise when I cracked the seal, causing me to give off a hissing, wheezing laugh. The cascade was not as pronounced as in some of the lighter-colored beers that I have tried of late, but it could still be seen as it occurred. It settled into a thick, deep-tan head like the top of a milkshake. The beer itself was a deep, dark brown with cola highlights. The nose was very chocolaty. The first sip that I took filled my mouth with a milk chocolate taste along with a powdery feeling, like I had inhaled Quik or something like that. The mouthfeel was thin, but the chocolate taste was amazing! The finish was also deeply chocolaty and I wished that I had a dessert to accompany this beer. This was quite good.

woodychandler, Apr 07, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

It was a dark black with a light tan head that lasted for pretty much the entire time. It laced well.
The smell was very surprising for me, it is "chocolate" as I've heard so much about this beer. In fact it smelled a lot of chocolate.
I tasted a toasty malt, and a slight hint of chocolate, a little bit of sweet and finished smoothly.
I feel like I could drink this often, and wouldn't mind making this my regular stout of choice.
Great Beer, only ashamed I waited so long to try it.

ibrewaletx, Apr 06, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +4%

Here we go - my first sweet stout. Found this at a Kingston, Ontario LCBO. I had never seen this before so I snapped it up. 5.20% abv, 500mL bottle. Best before 31/01/09. Cellar temp - it will warm up quite a bit over the course of the drink though. Into a wine glass it goes.

Big creamy tan head. A few bubbles in it to remind you it isn't a nitro pour. Yep, perfectly black. Nice. Lace on the glass. No complaints here.

Nose is a little too restrained right now - probably too cold. Less chocolate and more grain - sour oats. Toffeeish pale malt. Espresso out back. No scores to this yet until it is nice and warm. Dark fruit coming up. Getting a bit more herbal now - roasty smoke too (time for a sip). A bit metallic. A little funk comes out too. Definitely note the chocolate now - it is a bit powerdery and cheap though.

Hits the tongue with milk chocolate. Palate is complex! Wow. Oats mixed effortlessly with chocolate and coffee - a lot of sourness on the sides of the tongue. Aspirated it gets quite chocolately, like a candy bar. Finish is more dark chocolate, coffee and mouth drying. Smoke comes out too. Chocolate, chocolate, I want more chocolate! Needs a bit more punch for me to love it - feel is a bit watery for something called a 'Double Chocolate Stout'.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical here. I could drink this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...

Antilochus, Apr 06, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a very opaque black, with brown sugar-coloured head. The head is quite substantial, lasting for nearly the whole glass and leaving lots of lace. The aroma is roasted malt, molasses, hot milk chocolate powder. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and thick, but a bit dry and chalky as well. The taste is unsweetened chocolate bitterness at the back (funny enough, a bit like eating a mouthfeel of cocoa powder), with a slight kick of fancy molasses. I find it somewhat astringent. The aftertaste is pretty well the same as the aftertaste from eating darker milk chocolate. Let me stress that this is more milk chocolate than dark chocolate despite the bitterness. I find this stout well-rounded and robust. I'd have this again without argument.

Rootdog316, Apr 05, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +7%

A: Black as fuck; nice 2 cm head.

S: Chocolate! Loads and loads of Chocolate, but there are hints of coffee with it.

D: The beer is filled with malts which are chocolatey and coffee-ie. There is a slight bit of hops; however, the flavour isn't that complex, it's just very tasty.

M: Creamy with a bit of carbonation. It's thick, but a good thick.

D: I think it's a bit overwhelming, and after two, I was ready for another type of brew.

swizzlenuts, Apr 04, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +4%

Appearance
Black pour with a great foamy tan head that's late to show up but arrives by storm.

Smell
Dark fruits and chocolate. A bit of dark roasted malt as well. Not terribly complex but intoxicating nonetheless.

Taste
DAMN! The first self proclaimed chocolate stout that honestly fits the bill. A bit of malt up front before quickly disappearing to bitter chocolate that sweetens progressively towards the finish. The aftertaste is milk chocolate all the way. A bit more complexity would be nice however.

Mouthfeel
Medium body with a bit of carbonation up front.

Drinkability
For a beer this rampant with chocolate it's surprisingly drinkable. I'm going to have to refill this bowl of butter pecan ice cream to finish this pint off.

ebit, Apr 04, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

The aroma is roasted malt, molasses, hot milk chocolate powder.

The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and thick, but a bit dry and chalky as well.

I find this stout well-rounded and robust. I'd have this again without argument. One of the best I've had, and the best to come out of England (which wasn't all that tough, really, considering my vast disappointment after my trip through Kent).

JustinBathurst, Apr 04, 2008

A surprising find at the LCBO, this poured a dark black with a nice tan head, now what makes this lovely black creation so special is that it has the virute of being the only beer I have ever seen that light cannot penetrate at all, I even put it in front of a lamp and nothing gets through this. Also as I drink it, it's leaving tons of nice lacing on the glass. The smell is really delicious, the roasted malts make the base but the chocolate makes the substance. Flavor is wonderful, roasted malts with a enough chocolate to complement this stout perfectly. By far the smoothest stout I've ever had, it goes down nice smooth and silky, the bottle called it luxurious and let me tell you that is no lie. Drinkability? Hell I could drink this all day all night and never get tired of it.

I've never given any beer a perfect score. But this is one of those beers that in the context of it's style there is absolutely nothing they could improve upon. As far as stouts go this is by far the best I have ever had.

Must have more.

funkengruven, Apr 01, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

From a bottle into a pint glass. It was as dark as night with an inch of a mocha colored head. Some lacing and decent head retention. Love the nose on this beer. Filled with massive amounts of dark chocolate with malts in the background, specifically hints of caramel malt. Simple but great. Taste like really dark chocolate. They made sure this beer wasn't on the overly sweet side. Finishes with a slight bitterness. Good carbonation. I expected a creamier/thicker mouthfeel. I think this would make a good session beer, but an even better dessert beer. It begs for some chocolate cake.

dyingwrist, Mar 31, 2008

I was camping and brought a bunch of different single bottles bought from Total Wine & More Springfield, VA.

Wasn't able to pour this into a glass, but this was the BEST Chocolate Stout I have ever had. Very drinkable, definite chocolate taste and not burnt.

Highly recommended

skibumdc, Mar 28, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Pours from 500ml bottle pitch-black with a beautiful 2-inch head which retains nicely and leaves a very visible lacing on the glass. Lacing would likely be even more pronounced from a nitrous pour.
Smells of sweet dark chocolate, much like a Godiva bar.
Tastes of dark cocoa, to be sure, but not overpowering. The bitterness of raw cocoa is tempered by a subtle sweetness and a slight nutty quality. There is a hop nuance, but the malts playing in the background behind the cocoa make up the major element of the brew.
Mouthful, other than the bitter snap of raw cocoa, not as noteworthy as the other qualities.
This is an extremely drinkable chocolate stout. Well-balanced all around, no quibbles or shortcomings. It certainly could've been made too sweet, but Young's did not go that route.

It can be had morning, noon or night...in fact I'm drinking it with pancakes after working the night shift. I can't wait to try both the nitrous & tap versions (if given the opportunity).
This is definitely a must-have, particularly to share with friends who haven't tried it yet. Bravo.

Natural510, Mar 28, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Beautiful looking pour - a jet black body with a bubbly mocha head. The aroma of milk chocolate wafts upwards with a bi of coffee. Taste is very chocolatey, with the roasted notes coming through in the middle before swinging back to the chocolate. The chocolate taste comes over a tad artificial, and I can't help but think a dark chocolate profile would go better with the roastiness of the stout rather than the milk chocolate they seem to have gone with. Mouthfeel is medium and very smooth, carbonation is low, but present. Its a little too sweet to be a supremely sessionable beer.

bobsy, Mar 27, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

Had this from a nitro-can. The date 23 JUN 08 is printed in the bottom of the can. I assume it's a "best before" date.

Appearance = Nice nitro cascade. Finger-wide head that stays. Nice lacing. Dark color - pretty much black.

Smell = Sweet ovaltine with heavy malt.

Taste = More or less same as smell but with some bitterness. Bitter chocolate with some sweetness and fairly heavy malt flavor. Hints of cherries and oak. A bit of a weird metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel = Pretty smooth. Slight astringent finish. Very light mouthfeel. The beer has a watery quality to it.

Drinkability = Sorry but I didn't really like it at all. The slight, off metallic flavor, added to the watery feel of the beer wasn't enjoyable to me. Can't say I'll try it again.

ClashmoreMike, Mar 26, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Rich dark pour with a super dark brown creamy head. Very interesting to the eye.

First smell was of toasted malt, chocolate malt and mild hops. I didn't detect the cocoa in the first smell. After it warmed up and I got some air into it, cocoa was all I could smell and I was very ok with that.

Tasted at first like a sweet stout, good roasted malt, little caramel and a hint of espresso. After a couple sips, the cocoa became the dominant flavor. Very fun to drink. Lactose was also very apparent in the flavor and mouthfeel.

Great mouthfeel, nice and silky, but didn't stay in your mouth so I wanted more and more of it.
Amazing drinkability. I would highly recommend this to someone who wants a nice winter or spring stout.

IgotsHops, Mar 25, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a dark color with no light peaking through. A tan, creamy head about 1 finger tall.

A slight hint of chocolate and coffee in the aroma with a dash of malt mixed in.

I don't know if it was because of the can but I had a strange metalic taste initially but after that there was a creamy chocolate, nutty slight coffee taste.

Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

I'd like to try this on tap or in a bottle. a very good stout.

Matty1918, Mar 24, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Enjoyed from a 14.9oz nitro-can into a nonic pint glass.

The beer poured with a deep black body and a big fluffy latte-colored head. This beer is a delicious treat. It smells of roasted malts and dark chocolate on the nose. The taste is a pleasant and dense blend of nutty bitterness and chocolate sweetness on the finish, remaining well balanced and never cloying. It has a surprisingly thin mouthfeel, but it is not overly so and it only adds to it's incredible drinkability. A great dessert beer.

cbleary, Mar 23, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Very dark, not too chocolatey but a bit too much vanilla in both the nose and the taste. Something to drink after dinner or with a big bowl of ice cream. Good for an adventure or for a change from your usual dark beer. Would go well with a summer evening. Smells sweeter than it actually tastes, and is rather light in texture.

gfreed, Mar 23, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

This brew is almost completely black, very opaque, with a lacy light tan head. Aroma lives up to the name, lots of cocoa and cereal with some caramel. Taste is big-time milk-chocolate, but the hops keep it from being oversweet and cloying. I wish it were a bit richer and more alcoholic, but this is an easy drinking stout most will love.

saintwarrick, Mar 21, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -52.7%

The decline of the Ram. Pours a richer black color which seems viscous but when you swirl it doesn't have much sticking power. A tan colored head with good retention and lacing.

The nose has a mostly sour chocolate nose. Not much malt or beer-like smells at all. Maybe a hint of roasted malt. Some lactic and some-what oxidation aromas.

The taste is a bit off as well. A stronger malt presence comes out with a creamy chocolate flavor dominating. Some light astringency in the back end. Some phenolics with a cherry and pineapple flavor. There is a oily (not hop) that is off from the typical nitro flavors. A nasty off flavor that gives almost a DMS or off yeast flavor. Not good.

The body is smooth and although has a light feel, is still has a presence to it. Overall, I don't get it. This is not a good beer and what some perceive as nitro, I feel is more of an off slick/oily feel. Not a fan.

Oxymoron, Mar 19, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

from a bottle, poured into a pint glass
a - deep black color with a mocha head.
s - smells of roasted malt with a bit of chocolate coming through.
t - taste is of soy beans with less chocolate than I was expecting.
m - actually quite thin.
d - all said, this is a good stout that is very easy to drink.

dill, Mar 18, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +4%

I had a couple of these at the flying saucer..wonderful dessert after a great meal.
a: dark with a chocolate head
s: malty and cholcolate
taste: like chocolate
m: not as thick as i would expect..but nice
d: wonderful conversation beer. not that you would drink a bunch of them...but wonderful to unwind with

I like this beer...very nice

harpo111, Mar 17, 2008