Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Procrastinator

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 14.9 oz. nitro can into nonic pint glass. Best before 08-July-07 dated on can bottom. Having had this beer several times in the past, this is my first formal review.

Appearance: black opaque pour with minuscule nitro bubbles building up a tan milky, resilient creamy head that maintains its own all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: semi sweet chocolate morsels and dark roasted malts.

Taste: chocolate tootsie rolls, black coffee, raspberries. Hop bitterness in the swallow. Not dessert sweet, but full-bodied.

Mouthfeel: silky smooth, very mild carbonation, thick and chewy.

Drinkability: goes down easily like a melting chocolate bar. While the alcohol is rather mild, I wouldn't drink many of these at any one time. Could get chocolate overload. Definitely a great dessert in itself. Chocolate residue remained on bottom of glass!

12-11-2006 15:09:01 | More by Procrastinator
GimpyCane

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

appearence: poured aggressively a dark brown with a huge creamy mocha head that fully lasted and left an excellent amount of lacing.

smell: heavy on the chocolate, also got a hint of licorice, port, and coffee

taste and mouthfeel: softly carbonated, light to medium body, watery and silky. Starts nice semi sweet and ends chocolate bitter that has a short duration taste.

drinkability: smooth and tasteful. Can drink this all day long.

Overall, my wife and I really enjoyed this brew. The chocolate aroma is very intoxicating. We could not stop smelling this stuff. The flavor is right on cue with what you are smelling. You can have it with dessert but my wife and I had it with homemade tomato soup and a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich. It felt as if we were drinking a yoo-hoo. I know strange but what can I say. Pick one up and enjoy, it should not disappoint.

12-10-2006 23:50:47 | More by GimpyCane
MmmIPA

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a funny story.My girl stored the beer in her fridge and she told me that there was "ice" in the can cause she heard the widget in the can.I told her it was ok,she was worried to tell me .LOL

A-Opaque black body with a tan head that is creamy as a MOFO.

S-Choco. and malt.

T-Chocolate! This stuff is heavely choco tainted and its GREAT.I dont taste any hops in it at all and malt in in the backround.I have never had a Choco beer that tasted like this.

M-Creamy and full,goes down very smooth.No carbonation at all.

D-MUST HAVE! This stuff is heaven and its a delight.Its great and really taste well,it taste so good my girl may like it.Thr 4 pack wont last long in my house! I highly like this stuff and recommend to anyone that loves stouts.

12-10-2006 18:36:28 | More by MmmIPA
amstelcat

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Was served this out of a nitro-can into a pint glass. Dark, dark brown with brown, fluffy head. Looks like dessert. Smells like dessert. Tastes like dessert. A wonderful, creamy, yummy experience. Obviously lots of chocolate flavor and it tastes better than others I've had of the style. I want this one with some tiramasu or chocolate chip cookies.

12-06-2006 21:00:10 | More by amstelcat
dippy

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

Judging by other reviews, I may have purchased a bad bottle. But on with the review.

Started very promising. A nice pour produced a full two finger head, slightly tan, perched on top of the dark brown beer.

Smelled of chocolate, Not much else.

First sip: This tastes like a chocolate seltzer water. It is not the smooth texture that I was expecting, it was more like water, like sombody dropped a hershey bar in my budweiser. It was very carbonated. A beer should be carbonated, but this was weird.

Taste: Not much up front, I had to search for the chocolate in the background. I found a metalic taste in the aftertaste. Like it was from a can.

There was a decent amount of lace on the side of the glass.

There must be something wrong. I love stouts and this was not up to par. I will drink more froma tap and get back to you all, but beware that there may be bad bottles of this floating around.

12-05-2006 17:29:25 | More by dippy
Umbra

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Sampled on tap at Max's. Pours super dark brown, just about as un-transparent as one could get. Dark tan head with loads of retention and lacing. Very full roasted malt and chocolate nose.

This is the smoothest, most drinkable chocolate stout in memory. Flavor is gigantic, full of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Finishes surprisingly dry, which helps with finishing it. As with real chocolate, which was probably used in the manufacture, the vanilla brings out the fullness. Perfect carbonation and flavor make this one very drinkable. Had at the same time w/ a Brooklyn choco, and this one was hands down better.

12-04-2006 16:13:34 | More by Umbra
auntfloyd

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Served from a 500 ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a totally opaque, deep dark brown, almost black, with about one finger of dark tan head, with excellent retention.

The nose was chocolate and roasted malt. Nice.

The taste is smooth roasted malt at first, which is followed by a big taste of milk chocolate, and slightly bitter dry finish. This is a chocolate beer through and through, and the slightly sweet flavor gets it absolutely right. This beer is made with actual chocolate, in addition to chocolate malts, and it shows.

The mouthfeel is good, very smooth with good levels of carbonation. Very drinkable.

This is one of the best chocolate stouts, and one of the best stouts period. Not as overpowering as other chocolate stouts (like Brooklyn), and better for it. A great beer, especially in the wintertime.

12-03-2006 20:56:53 | More by auntfloyd
umfskibum

Maine

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Almost pure black. CREAMY head, really a thing to behold. The head stuck around for a while, and nice lacing as well.

Smell: Woah nelly. Some bready malt, but smells more of chocolate - almost like a chocolate milkshake. Really a rich scent. As Ron would say, it stings the nostrils.

Taste: Not just chocolate, but milk chocolate. The good kind. A little bitter, but again, milk chocolate dominates the taste. The roast malt taste comes through in the end, but it is really just a complex, tasty chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: A little thin for the rich taste, but silky smooth. Pleasant carbonation that isn't over the top.

Drinkability: Not a beer I'd want to have more than one or two of at once, but definately something I can see myself craving again. Well worth having, and could find its way on to many stout-lovers' list of favorites.

11-27-2006 05:36:07 | More by umfskibum
mynie

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Pours a very dark red. Quick poor from a nitro tap, so there's no head. Nice lacing, though.

Smells of nitrogen and incredibly rich, sweet chocolate.

Tastes of nitrogren and incredibly rich, sweet chooclate. This actually tastes much nicer than it sounds. The chocolate is straight up milk chocolate--none of the dark chocolate bitterness here--and it blends well with the clean, foamy flavor of the nitrogen.

Not exactly the most intense or layered of stouts, but the pure sweet kick makes for one hell of a desert beer.

11-26-2006 17:32:23 | More by mynie
lehows

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

one of my favorite chocolate stouts, from a nitro-can it pours a glorious cascading avalanche of velvety goodness. smell is strong of chocolate and roastiness. it also gets by without being too syrupy as many chocolate stouts can be. i could drink a ton of these and its also good to finish off a good night on. it leaves a pleasant after taste.

11-24-2006 23:46:21 | More by lehows
BrewMaven

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured darn near black with the requisite massive, tan nitro head.

Aroma was chocolate and more chocolate. Just smelling this made me want to guzzle it like a child with chocolate milk!

Once it passed my lips I got the same feeling. It should be called chocolate beer. Smooth, light bodied with soft carbonation, this stuff is SOO drinkable it could be addictive. I want more!

11-24-2006 23:17:03 | More by BrewMaven
GrillMeister

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

I finally got away from Macrobrew and bought myself a bottle of this.

Wow, the aroma of the chocolate really amazed me. I could smell it even before I took my first sip. This is an exceptional brew. It has an almost creamy mouthfeel and the chocolate stands out in the flavor but doesn't overpower the taste.

It also is giving me a bit of a buzz. It's a full English pint and I'm sure the alcohol content is well above 5%.

Overall, I'm glad I picked it up. I'm enjoying this 1 bottle better than the whole 6 pack of macrobrew that I last reviewed...

11-20-2006 04:29:49 | More by GrillMeister
Mdog

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: After the cascading nitro bubbles subside, it's black with a creamy head.

Smell: Slight chocolate.

Taste: Mildly sweet chocolate with a little bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Creamy goodness.

Drinkability: I think this is more sessionable in cans than bottles.

I had not had this one in a while, and last time it was in a bottle. I'd say the bottle brings out more sweetness and chocolate than the can version. A very good sweet stout.

11-16-2006 02:13:56 | More by Mdog
tastybeer

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Deep and almost completely opaque mahogany color with a cocoa brown topping. Nose is more chocolate than beer but nonetheless, very nice. Very dessert-like and pleasant. Slight vanilla, cocoa, and a hidden soft roastiness under the chocolate. Taste is more bittersweet chocolate than the cocoa nose. The roasted malt is more evident along with a balancing bitterness. Not too sweet yet very chocolatey. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and satiny. Good sized fullish body to hold up the double chocolate.

Mmmm Chocolate. If you're looking for a chocolate beer I would recomend this as an appetizer to Rogue's chocolate stout.

11-14-2006 01:57:51 | More by tastybeer
wedge

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a deep black with faint brown tinges at the edges when held up to a light. Big, spumescent cocoa head floats on top eventually dropping down to a thin, bubbly cap that holds up well. Smells like chocolate. Real chocolate. Sweet, rich, and creamy. Dark, malty flavor doesn't quite match the smell in richness, though its still good. Plenty of bittersweet chocolate. Silky mouthfeel but it isn't as heavy as I'd like it to be. Even so, this is a tasty and highly drinkable stout.

11-14-2006 01:56:29 | More by wedge
BrandonB

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a dark brown/black with small deep tan head. Very rich, great looking beer. Has hints of malt, lots of chocolate (no surprise there), and no bitterness. Very smooth beer. Aroma seems to intensify as time progresses.
(first BA review, hopefully this will suffice)

11-13-2006 04:49:03 | More by BrandonB
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a big bottle to a pint glass, The liquid is a very dark brown, ok carbonation. The head is ok about 1 finger, off white to tan no lace.

The smell is dry coco, semi sweet chocolate & malt.

The taste follows, Chocolate in a standard stout.

The mouthfeel is a little thinner then expected.

The drinkability is ok, one is enough. MK

11-13-2006 04:20:05 | More by MuenchenerKindl
pmcadamis

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Big thick black brew with a perfectly creamy, thick, and tight head that lasts for the duration of the beer. Solid tan sheets of beautiful lace.

S - Smells like chocolate milk, cream, hard chocolate candies, rootbeer, and malted milk balls. Hints of vanilla and sugar also. Cream cheese notes also.

T - Heavily creamed and sugared coffee. Rich milk, whipped cream, very sweet and sugary milk chocolate yoohoo flavor. Sweetness becomes more dark and bitter towards the dry finish with a bit of roasty grains. Could be a little more roasty and stout IMO to balance the overpowering sweetness.

M - Slick and sugary. Full bodied and creamy.

D - Pretty good as a desert beer, but too heavy and sugary to consume more than one of. I will surely rrevisit this fine chocolatey brew, but IMO the sweetness and sugary milk chocolate flavor is a bit overdone.

I think that next time I will get this in a bottle. It seems that other reviewers feel that the bottled version is less thick and sugary. IMO those are the exact qualities that I feel are overdone in this brew.

11-11-2006 16:32:56 | More by pmcadamis
TexIndy

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle with a best by date on the back label. Was a solid black color with a thick, brownish head that stuck around for a long time. Also had pretty good lacing throughout. The smell was excellent and strong of bittersweet chocolate and chocolate malts. The taste was also excellent. Was chocolaty throughout and had just a little bitterness in the back. I would rate it higher if it had just a little more bite to offset the sweetness. Mouthfeel was good - just a little watery. Would rate higher if were a little more creamy. Overall, a great beer that I would never turn down and would definitely have in avail on tab. For home consumption, a good quarterly treat. Highly recommend and probably the best in category for me. (4.5, RR, T,Y)

11-09-2006 01:22:37 | More by TexIndy
goschool

4.22/5  rDev +5%

On-tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA.

I thought nitrogen is supposed to ruin beer. What happened?

Appearance: The pour is a slick black color with a creamy tan head. Great retention.

Smell: I first ordered an Aventinus, but the keg had kicked, so I got this instead. I was disappointed until I took a whiff of the aroma. The head unleashes a flurry of chocolate and toffee.

Taste: The taste didn't quite live up to the nose, but it had a lot to live up to. There is chocolate, roasted malts, and a light English hop presence. No toffee though. Oh, well.

Mouthfeel: The body was soft and creamy like other nitro beers.

Drinkability: This is tremendous. It's actually better with nitrogen than it is in the bottle. I still don't get it, but I'd rather drink it then ponder the mystery. Don't pass this up if you see it at a bar.

11-01-2006 06:04:57 | More by goschool
thagens

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Not bad, but not the best chocolate stout I've ever had. Nice chocolate flavor. It wasn't bitter enough for my personal taste, but still enjoyable.

Appearance: Poured a dark brown/black with a finger of mocha colored head.

Aroma: Stouty but I didn't really detect to much chocolate.

Taste: Ahh, there the chocolate is. Sweet chocolate taste, but again not bitter enough for me.

Mouthfeel: Nothing special, good, but nothing special. Average amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. It would make a good session stout.

10-31-2006 23:04:24 | More by thagens
BlackAngus

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Dark brown/black color, meringue-like head that lasts all the way to the last sip.

S - Chocolate is huge in the aroma. Also some maltiness, maybe a hint of hops and alcohol, but so subtle I may be imagining it.

T - Not as strong a chocolate presence as in the nose, but still discernable. Malty flavors, some coffee as well. Sweet, but not cloying.

M - Medium bodied, creamy, I hesitate to say "sensual," but will do so nevertheless.

D - Not a huge fan of sweet stouts, but this is my favorite of the style. My girlfriend will drink a 4-pack of this in an evening and go looking for more.

10-30-2006 15:32:42 | More by BlackAngus
leftmindedrighty

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Nitro-can poured into an imperial pint glass
Expiration date on can is March 29, 2007

Smell is wonderful, smells like unsweetened chocolate, faint hops, and I swear I smell alcohol, but that is the only presence it will make in this beer.

Taste is sublime, smooth chocolate with a light bitter hop twist, the hops really do a good job of not making this brew not taste like a liquid candy bar.

This has been one of my favorite beers ever since I started drinking good beer, and is hands down the best from Young's, IMO. Do seek out this brew, as I have yet to have a Chocolate or Milk Stout that can come close to the taste and drinkibility of this one.

And don't worry about the expiration date on the can, I've had one's that were two years past that date and they were still excellent.

10-29-2006 00:14:49 | More by leftmindedrighty
CharlieMopps

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Black all the way through with a half-inch head, strong retention and a real thick lace.

S: Toasted malt scent backed with chocolate and a somewhat clean profile.

T: Great malt notes with a light hint of coffee, delicious chocolatey body and somewhat of a smooth bite.

M: Thick and creamy, very stout and sweet on the palate. Almost like a beer milkshake (not as gross as it would seem).

D: Would definitely order a few more of these. This one seemed like it would start off decent enough, but really kicked in with the flavors and mouthfeel, which were quite delightful.

10-26-2006 22:49:38 | More by CharlieMopps
Realale

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Deep brownish black. 1" light tan nitro head doesn't move during the consumption of the pint, apart from what sticks to my upper lip.

Nose is brown bread maltiness, with nicely integrated dark chocolate notes. Not overly complex, but quite nice. Sadly, it's the highlight.

A bit of a let down in the mouth. Initially, just some non-descript maltiness, but things start happening in the mid-palate when the chocolate malt notes kick in. Pretty short but slightly sweet finish.

Nasty undead nitro mouthfeel. Despite being something of a novelty brew, it's fine for matching with not too sweet chocolate desserts, which is the context in which I had it. I wouldn't want two in a sitting though.

10-26-2006 18:12:00 | More by Realale