Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: The head was weak and dissipated fast.

Smell: The smell was great, chocolate and something else...

Taste: The taste was not as sweet as I remember but still sweet and smooth, lots of chocolate flavor and chocolate malt. Burnt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Decent.

Drinkability: I wouldn't drink this one too often with so many other choices, what a spoiled dork I've become. That said it's definitely in the rotation and will be a good introductory beer for sure.

This beer pours very dark nearly opaque with a 1 finger tan head. The smell is chocolate, malts and alcohol. The taste is smooth, very creamy with some chocolate flavor but nothing compared to rogue or ST. The malt flavor is very nice in this beer, and I don't get a taste of hops @ all. The mothfeel is nice and creamy my only complaint would be the dry feeling I get after I swallow, wierd for such a low abv beer. It is an easy drinking beer, just not something I could see myself drinking as a session beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured black with a good sized tan head.

At first the smell was weak, but as it warmed a little, I smelled the toasted malts. As it warmed more, the dark chocolate came out. Went well with the beer. Not overwhelming.

The taste goes through a few phases. Starts with the toasted flavor, then a slight bitterness, which gives way to the ever so slight dark chocolate finish.

This beer is very smooth and, much to my enjoyment, not too overpowering with the added chocolate.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

This is a nice beer to have every once in a while. It's affordable and enjoyable, but nothing too outstanding.

A- Pours with a HUGE cascading head that settles to a nice brown frothy cap atop the black beer.

S- Very little comes through besides sweet chocolate. There's a very faint malty aroma.

T- Very sweet with chocolate and cream flavors. Not much else...

M- Very creamy without being heavy. Definately not a lot of carbonation going on.

D- It goes down easy, but it's almost a little too sweet.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: 1 pint nitro-can pours black. Bubbles cascade from in the glass thanks to the nitro-tab (I love the way this looks, like a beer storm). Ultra fine tan head, that leaves legs as the beer is drunk.

Smell: Chocolate, dried fruit and yeast scents.

Taste: Chocolate taste, sweet and bitter chocolate, creamy notes from the head. Slight yeast notes towards end of the sip. Bitter chocolate and coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel from the head. The beer feels a little watery. Leaves the mouth feeling clean. This is a very smooth beer.

Drinkability: This beer is super smooth. This is a great beer, especially for being so available, but it is not my favorite style. I would probably only have 1 a night, or split one with my girlfriend after I had an APA or 2, which is usually the case.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

Even though I am not a big fan of stouts, my friend whom is just getting into beer loves 'em. So as I aim to please I picked up a 4pack of these...

A: Seriously looks so good. Pours like a yoohoo with mixed brown colorings during the pour but all mix to a super dark brew with a 2 inch rushing waterfall head. Looks awesome

S: Smells pretty good. Chocolaty obviously but it is pretty much all I can pull out of it

T: For a stout I personally think it tastes pretty good, but I still don't like em. Chocolate flavoring throughout.

M: Creamy without carbonation

D: Although this is probably one of the better stouts i have tried I still cant sit there and drink stouts. Comparatively to other stouts I give it a A- or B+ I guess, but Overall compared to everything else...

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

poured from a nitro can, figured that it would be beter from the can, i realy loved the pour and the seteling of the beer, i also liked the chocolate smell but i realy was disapointed when i tasted this one, it was thick and rich but sweater than i like, i will try this one in bottles and then diside if i like this one. still figuring it out?

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A unique stout bursting with dark malts and strong chocolate flavors. This is a well made beer. Pours nice and dark with a thick mahogany head. The aroma is pleasant, and it drinks extremely smooth. The chocolate flavor really hits you after you have swallowed which leads to a great stout experience. I was afraid that this one would be too sweet and chocolatey but the balance is perfect. Finally I can enjoy dessert with my beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Have had this before but never bothered with the tallboy can, thinking it might detract from the beer. Not so, and if you haven't had this go and buy it and drink it as soon as you get home (there's no need to literally drink and drive). Poured into my pint glass and received a thick, black body with a two-finger tan head that left a ring of lace down my glass the whole time. A good malt smell, mostly chocolate (of course). Extremely smooth and creamy, this has an immense chocolate flavor. If you have a sweet tooth then this will wet its whistle, as this beer is almost akin to a chocolate milkshake when it comes to the taste. Goes down with the chocolate riding the whole way as it sails over the tastebuds and down the throat. An excellent beer to either kickstart the night or for dessert, one is all you need to enjoy.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a heavy black with a murky brownish white head. By foamy head and some lacing. Mild aroma of black malts and some sweetness.

Flavor is a medley of dark roasted malts, a nice oat smoth moutfeel and a almost shocking sweetness. I jus about wanted to say cloying, but the astrinency from the dark malt and the firm hop bitterness brings balance to this stout. A nice chocolate finish adds well the sweetness of this ale.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Brilliant cascading near-black brew with a nice milk-chocolate colored head with super-fine bubbles from the nitro. Amazing lacing left on the glass as you drink your way down. I can't think of any way to improve the appearance at all.

S: Chocolate with a little nutty smell.

T: Um, chocolate? Yeah, I think so. Mild sweetness with a subtle hop character to balance it out.

M: Creamy and milky. Goes down so smooth without being flat.

D: Despite being a heavier beer I could drink many of these and I find them relatively refreshing though probably not a great sit-outside-on-a-summer-day-brew.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Blind Tiger in NYC.

A - dark, murky and creamy with a nice fluffy tan head that settles into a foamy froth after a while.

S - awesome slightly toasted chocolate smell that almost has a texture.

T/M/D - delicious, with an up-front chocolate taste blending perfectly with the stouty goodness. This is an outstanding beer!

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Pint can, nitro.
Pours thick and creamy, with cascading carbonation down the sides of the glass.
Lots and lots of chocolate in the aroma, which follows in the flavor. The flavor is full of dark chocolate and cocoa. Some bitter chocolate flavor comes through, with just enough to balance out the sweetness.
An excellent dessert beer, but not one you'd typically want more than one of. Does work well to blend with, especially with some raspberry lambics

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opaque and dark with a thin ochre head. Slight flash of brown (which isn't VERY flashy) when held up to the light. For a stout not bad, but just like a stout. Could use a bit more head.

Mmmm, delicious nose. Rich and chocolatey. Mind you, nice as it is, that's it. There's not much to it, it's just a really nice rich, sweet aroma.

Taste is more complex than the nose. It's dark and very cocoa-y. Rich and ever-so-slightly bitter on the back palate, but man that bitterness is just there to emphasise the rich potency of the brew. It's rich, wonderful, powerful, sweet and just a brilliant late-night ale. Really brilliant. Forget chocolate sauce, pour this all over icecream.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one fine stout. Not my favorite but definitely top 5.

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle, the color is pitch black. The head comes alive like a good stout should as it rises to a perfectly carmelicious pillow-topped goddess. The smell is immediately chocolatey, like a hershey bar blended with a guinness. The taste is pure chocolate heaven but it's not as overwhelming as you would think given the name. Mouthfeel is creamy and thick but ends in a tad bit of acoholic sharpness which goes almost unnoticable. I probably could sit down and drink this endlessly which is probably good that I purchased a single bottle.

If you're on a stout kick but don't want to dabble too much in the realm of chocolate, try Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout or Sam Adams Cream Stout.

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

Poured black in color, with a 3-4 finger tan head, and had good lacing throughout. This is the best looking beer I've poured.

Heavy sweet chocolate, toasted marshmallow, smells like smores.

Taste is like heaven, wonderful sweet chocolate right upfront and fades to a very slight roasted malt and minimal bitter finish, asks you to keep drinking.

Mouthfeel was very very smooth and quite creamy.

Could drink these till I pass out on the floor.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

This stout poured black with a medium light caramel head. Smell is a strong balance of chocolate and chocolate malt with roasted, espresso-like malts. It borders on chocolate milkshake. Nice chocolate flavor with toasty malts; bittersweet. Mouthfeel is smooth with some acidity and an odd sort of powdery feel. This is a very rich but drinkable stout.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Greeted by a screaming widget as I cracked open the pull tab. Nice. Wonderful reverse cascading bubbles. Color is Black topped with a creamy white collar that is 1/2 inch in depth but settles to about 1/3inch. Smell is amazing!, like rich hot cocoa but without the heat. Rich and dense but not over the top. I can smell it as it sits on the table in front of me, amazing. Mouth feel is light, maybe more than I would like, and finishes a bit dry. On the tongue it is fairly mild, upon swallowing the chocolate comes into play. Not as big as the nose, more like a watered down cocoa, but still very respectable. Head and shoulders above the bottle version. Why would I ever drink Guinness again if I could have this glorious nectar?! A must stock from now on.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

This can be bought at Central Market in Poulsbo, WA. They have a problem keeping it on the shelves though.

Consumed in a pint glass.

Appearance: great stout "waterfall", rich and dark like a stout should be

Smell: wow, holy chocolate, I would think this is more of a porter from the chocolate and coffee notes

Taste/Mouthfeel: rich cream and luxurious chocolate interlaced with coffee and more cream; when the can said chocolate, I didn't know what I was getting into. It felt a bit empty in the finish considering all the workup before. Kind of a let down.

This is the favorite beer of my wife. I like it but I need something that features chocolate, not showcases it in my beer.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from 16.9 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours an opague black with red highlight when held up to light. Two finger tan head that leaves a couple spots of lace.

Aroma is dominantly chocolate (big surprise) along with some sweet tones. Maybe a little woody as well.

Taste is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. It's almost like taking a bite out of a bar of chocolate. Maybe some hops at the end.

Medium body, creamy, good carbonation.

I was pretty disappointed with this one actually. Based on the good things I've heard about it I thought it would be better. It was alright, but I think it was just too much chocolate for me. Obviously it's supposed to be that way, but I think I just prefer a regular stout. I'd rather just eat a chocolate bar.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 16 oz nitro can into pint glass.

A - Dark opaque brown, nice cascading effect from the nitro thingy. 2 fingers of tan head stick around for awhile and leave some lacing.

S - Chocolate and roasted malt, not much else, maybe some diacetyl.

T - Big roasted malt character hits first, and smooths out into rich, bittersweet chocolate. The brew gradually dries out with a great roasted chocolate and woody flavor along with a buttery component.

M - Full bodied and smooth as can be. No carbonation from the nitro can.

D - A great stout to put back. The nitro can makes it even easy.

I can often appreciate lesser beers packaged in nitro-cans, but in the case of this beer, I don't think it works as well. The lack of carbonation really screws with some of the flavors going on, and for that reason I'll be limiting myself to purchasing bottles of the stuff. Much better in my opinion, but still a fantastic beer.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

A. Poured from a 16oz Nitro Can into my Guinness Pint glass. Dark brown with a chocolate foam head. Attractive.

S. Toasted malt maybe a bit of hops.

T. Chocolate malt goodness. This is more like the most delicious milk shake, its a beer shake.

M. Creamy, fluffy, foamy. Good. Still surprisingly light for a stout.

D. Good stuff. Get it by the case.

There are already so many reviews detailing the experience of this fine beverage that I couldn't add anything that would better express it's greatness only to say that this is my current favorite stout. It's definitely not the kind of beer I would recommend to a person inexperienced with stouts as they would expect it to be like a typical dry stout a la Guinness. If there is a better chocolate stout out there, I haven't tried it yet.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Large head (3 fingers worth) that is more foamy than dense. Head dissipates after a few minutes, leaving excellent lacing on the sides of the glass. Black, opaque with medium carbonation edging to the surface.

Aromas of chocolate, slight roastiness, dark caramel. Very appealing to the nose.

Liquid tastes slightly astringent when first hitting the palate. Roasted chocolate flavor follows as the aftertaste. Good balance of sweetness and bitterness throughout - not cloying.

Much lighter in body than I would have expected. Carbonation level seems a bit too high for this style of beer, but does help in carrying the nice flavors around my mouth.

Very tasty and memorable beer. I could see this being paired with multiple foods/desserts or alone for a nice nightcap.

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark brown, almost opaque with a hint or ruby highlights around the edges. Nice 1 inch brown head, excellent retention, settling in to moderate lace.

Aroma is cocoa, chocolate, with some roasted malts. Moderate aromas, nothing overpowering.

Flavor is bittersweet dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt. The finish has kind of hot chocolate type flavor, not bitter.

Medium body, with moderate carbonation. Chocolate is evident, but is not overly sweet. Well-balanced...this is a beer where everything melds together, and nothing dominates. Slightly creamy, but not really coating. Might lean towards a desert beer for some, but still sessionable.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd