Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Served at 50 degrees. Best before date 28/02/2009.

A: Poured a totally opaque black with a finger of tan head into a pint glass. Head retention is decent as is settles into a thick looking film with bigger floating patches. Leaves impressive lacing on the glass.

S: A swirl brings forth aromas of sweet chocolate and roasted grains. A good yet simple smell. You know what you're getting into.

T: Oh wow, a wall of milk chocolate hits even as your taking the sip in. This is sweet chocolate as opposed to the the bitter chocolate taste some other stouts/Impy stouts have. This is one enjoyable beer and quite the fix for a sweet craving. It really feels like you're downing liquid chocolate. Roasted maltiness is present all along and hops make a faint appearance half-way and then cede once again to the chocolate.

M: Medium body with pleasant carbonation. Creamy but not as smooth as some others I've had. Leaves a slightly sticky feel.

D: Goes down way too easy. I'm having a hard time pacing myself through it.

Overall, a delicious beer that I wanted to try for some time now. I now feel like I need to keep a few of these around. Would be perfect with dessert.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of roasted malts and milk chocolate with a slight touch of smokiness; it's simple but very nice.

T: The taste is sweet, very malty and full of milk chocolate as the name suggests. There really isn't much else to say about it other than that it simplifies a taste that a lot of bigger stouts ruin for the sake of being a "big" beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not as filling as most stouts, mild kick, very good representation of style. To be honest, I had lost some faith in how god stouts could be, but this beer has restored it to a certain extent. This is definitely one of the better stouts that I've had.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

I was given a can from a friend who instructed me to have this as an after dinner drink to be paired with something sweet. I followed hos advice and drank this beer with a piece of chocolate mouse cake. It complemented the dessert very well.

It poured a rich chocolate brown almost black with a nice firm head that lasted till the finish. It smelled of coco moreso than plain ole chocolate and also with an ending hint of alcohol. It went down smooth and finished well. It felt nice on the palate and without any over whelming flavors that might distract you from its overall appeal.

I liked this beer very much but I cannot see this as the type of beer that you have in your hand the whole night. But to serve it as a complimentary beverage along side a dessert or something sweet is the way to go. Overall a good drinking stout that has a specific place.

Appearance: Quite dark. Not totally black, but almost. Mine poured with a fluffy tan head. Probably due to an overly rambunctious pouring hand.

Smell: Malty chocolate. A little vanilla as well. Quite nice, almost like ice cream.

Taste: A little sweet. Strong, pronounced chocolate flavour. More Dairy Milk than bittersweet though.

Mouthfeel: I poured quite a lot o the carbonation out in the big pillowy head so it wasn't flat, but not overly carbonated, either. There was a nice all-encompassing feel, though with bitterness at the back and sides, and sweetness in the middle. Sounds snobby to me as I read what I just wrote....

Drinkability: This is pretty rich but the lower ABV makes is a pretty easy drinker for a chocolate brew.

Overall: I really enjoyed it. Always do when I buy it. I would like to see how this, poured with an Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer would do as a Black & Tan.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

had this on tap in a pint glass

pours with a thick dense head. black in color, no light getting through.

it is medium bodied. not malty or creamy. chocolate shows up more in aftertaste. there is a slight bitterness to it. there's nothing too special here.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a seidel yields a lush brown body virtually impenetrable to light. Sticky chocolate ice cream-looking foam of three fingers recedes to a foamy sheet, leaving fine bands of lacing.

Smells rich and chocolatey with a hint of mocha.

Taste is rich and chocolately on many levels; dark chocolate, milk chocolate, slightly alkaline cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, chocolate cream.... Numerous sweet flavors, none overpowering, balanced by a nice dark roastiness and a slight lactic tartness. Hint of lightly-roasted coffee in a nice dry, lingering finish.

Lush and luscious. Rich, creamy and a little buttery. Smooth, silky and lightly carbonated. In balance. Fantastic.

Definitely will have this again, and definitely will buy more than one next time!

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this beer after a good meal and this was my desert.
A- Poured a dark licquorice color very opaque with a nice sandy white head that lingered and left nice lacings on the glass.
S- Tones of dark chocolate, with some undertones of vanilla and coffee.
T- Great tasting beer with large amounts of chocolate and roasted grain.
M- Very smooth and thick but not too heavy. Very well balanced.
D- A very nice drink however one I could not put too many away at a time, Excellent for an after dinner beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass

A-Pours a deep dark brown almost completely opaque with the great sand effect leaving a creamy head

S-Dark chocolate, sweet with hints of coffee as well.

T-Bittersweet chocolate, hints of coffee as well as rich rosted malt

M-Incredibly smooth

D-near perfect dessert beer i'll be honest here folks i poured a little into a small glass and dipped and oreo in it and it was amazing.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

I expected a good dessert beer and that is exactly what I got. I had a choice between a bottle and a nitro can and went with the nitro can for the extra smoothness. Served it slightly chilled in my Samuel Smith pub glass. Poured a dark, baker's chocolate brown. Smelled like the inside of Willy Wonka's factory with layers and layers of decadent chocolate. Taste was that of fresh chocolate milk with a silky smoothness from the nitrogen bubbles leaving a creamy film in my mouth. I could definitely have one of these after every meal to calm my sweet tooth. Next I will have to try it in the bottle to see if there is any significant difference (I heard the can gives a metallic aftertaste sometimes.)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To my amazement that I found it on tap, I sounded much like Pippin from LotR, "It comes in pitchers?!?" I've had this in bottles many times, but to see a whole pitcher of this beautiful black chocolatey liquid... Mmmm.

First thing I did was take a nice sniff of the beer and noticed the distinct sweet chocolate aroma. The beer has a nice thick brownish head which remains until the last drop. The flavor is more than can be described in words. Trying to best capture the taste (in words), it has a sweet chocolate and coffee flavor with light carbonation.

I think it is a beer that almost anyone can enjoy, with most loving it. It seems almost fitting to have it for desert as it has such a sweet and robust flavor that will end any night with a smile. A truly exceptional brew that I always enjoy.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

500ml Brown bottle, brewed in Bedford, best before date was one month before tasting.

Poured into a Batemans pint sleeve glass.

Very dark in colour, almost jet black. A wonderfully full head of beige foam bubbles sat on top, slowly reducing in size to just half an inch.

Incredible chocolate aroma.

Lovely flavours of a dark and milk chocolate mix alongside malted biscuits. This is as good as the brew from the old Youngs site in London without a doubt.

The flavours of chocolate don't fade away one bit, very impressive. Smooth, rich, creamy, all the good things a Milk stout should be.

I had forgotten how good this was, I'll try not to do so again!

A - Dark Color, thick head that dissipates gradually

S - Soft sweet smell of chocolate

T - Good mix of maltiness and chocolate

M - A little dry but not too bad. I enjoyed this a lot because dry drinks normally bother me but this was distinctly good. Very smooth.

D - Could definitely drink this pretty regularly

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a really dark chocolate colour with a coffee coloured head that was thick and creamy and left lacing down the glass. The aroma is very chocolate caramel with a hint of coffee. You can really taste the chocolate and the malt with a slightly coffee taste as well. It is so incredibly smooth and creamy with a light carbonation. This has got to be the most orgasmic beer I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. It was quite expensive for the bottle but in my opinion worth every penny. I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a few more bottles. I will most definitely be buying more of this.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I have had this beer before from the bottle. Decided to try from the nitro can this time. I open the can and notice the immediate aromas of chocolate. I can also hear the nitro start to release. I feel the same as that dog when the dinner bell rings! I need to taste this right away. Pours into a tulip glass very nicely. I feel like a child on Christmas eve. I can't wait to taste this. Color is dark and head is a nice ream color. First sip, WOW! So smooth. This is the feeling of true beer love. I can taste the chocolate malts with a tinny bitterness. it just gets better and better with every drink. I'm now to the last drink. I should have purchased more!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black, with 2 fingers of tan head, leaving lots of lacing as it dissipates. Smells of chocolate, malt, slight sweetness. Taste is gorgeously creamy, chocolate, burnt malt, slight hints of floral hops, with a wonderfully smooth, creamy chocolate finish. Body is smooth and rich, with mild carbonation.
Not a cheap beer, but well worth every penny

I typically do not like Chocolate Stouts but this one was really good. It had more of a deep belgian choco/espresso taste. It had a great color and head. The creamy textured really opened up the taste of the beer where many other stouts are flat & heavy!

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance - Black, with 2 fingers of brownish head.

Smell - Sweeter and weaker than the usual stout smell.

Taste - Great balance between maltiness and chocolatey sweetness, but a little weak.

Mouthfeel - Probably the smoothest beer I have ever tried.

Drinkability - Fairly easy drinking.

Overall - Very good, but I think I prefer regular stouts.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Young's Double Chocolate pours with a large tanned head, holds up well and leaves gobs of lacing on the glass. Has a deep black color.

Smells of coco powder, roasted malts and a mild sweetness.

Tastes of sweet/bitter chocolate and roasted malts. Balanced and drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +9%

It poured a nice dark shade with a thick fluffy tan head that faded away until it was just a coating on top of the beer that remained until the end. The nose is a light chocolate smell. Not overpowering and very nice. Is silky and smooth with a chocolate taste with a nice dry finish.

WARNING: In my opinion the bottle version is rubbish and the nitro-can is the only way to enjoy this. The proof is that you there are times when the canned version is sold out but there are still bottles.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Absolutely black, no light getting through, with a thin mocha head that drops to a thin layer.

Chocolatey coffee smell, very good smell.

Dark chocolate taste with nice roasty flavor and just a hint of bitterness at the finish.

Smooth medium body with a nice crisp finish.

Awesome. I had high expectations for this one and they were completely met. It was awesome for dessert with a couple of brownies!!!

Tasted in a Chimay goblet on 3/31/08.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

first time I've had this beer,looking forward to it.
Pours a thick black color with a nice rich tan head that leaves quickly. A ring remains around the glass.
Has a nice chocolatey smell. doesn't smell like cheap chocolate(whatever that means). has coffee and malt smell as well
Tastes rich in chocolate and coffee with a little molasses or brown sugar
A good chocolate stout and will probably try this again.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

I drank this side by side with Youngs Oatmeal Stout

I was surprised how similar the appearance and mouthfeel were for both beers...

However, Something about this stout is extraordinary... unlike other chocolate stouts that seem to be almost acidic or overhelming with concentrated malt flavors... this stout seems bready, buttery and thick, but not syrupy at all... The bittersweet notes are very well balanced... I would love to drink this with chocolate chip cookies.... in fact, this stout tastes alot like chocolate chip cookies, sweet, bready, roasted, bittersweet.

And excellent dark beer to give to a new-beer drinker.... not overwhelming.... Just delicious

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Saved this one for last on my last stout expedition and somehow left the report write-up 'til a week later. Let's hope my notes are decent enough.

Poured from the 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. The brew poured, of course, an almost opaque black, reminiscent of all the other stouts and porters I've been drinking lately. The difference in this was the thick, sticky tan head that laced the glass throughout. Very impressed by the appearance.

Smell is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. There's a touch of caramel and hops, but Young's was right in calling it 'double chocolate stout'.

Taste is pretty much exactly how it smells. As expected, there is a burnt malt flavor with a nice milk chocolate-y front. The burnt malts also give way to a slight bitter aftertaste reminiscent of coffee and, as the brew warms, the alcohol becomes more prominent.

This brew is incredibly smooth and decently full-bodied. Expected it to be thicker than it actually was, but the milk chocolate rather than dark chocolate feel perhaps made it a bit thinner. Carbonation was excellent - even in my 35 degree refrigerator (had to let it warm up for a bit so as not to get a flat, cold beer).

I have friends who absolutely love this and consider it their favorite beer, but I think my tastes lie more in the cream stout and dark chocolate stout flavor than this milk chocolate variant. Regardless, it's an excellent, excellent beer, but for the ABV and price, I'd probably pass on this less I really had a craving for this milk chocolate flavor. Highly recommended anyhow, and I'd love to try it again with ice cream or dark chocolate truffles.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

I get this at the Dekalb Farmer's Market in ATL.
Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: It pours a nice black, not opaque. Nice big brown head that slowly falters to a nice lacing.

S: Good smell. Chocolate, roasted malt, cream, caramel and milk.

T: Chocolate, cream and malt rounded out by a little bit of coffee bitterness on the after taste.

M: A little lighter/thinner than expected.

D: Alcohol is lower than expected and makes this a drinkable beer. It is sweet but not too (once again as the bottle claims). You can definitly drink this.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer is a experience. Appearance of a typical draught stout black with a fluffy chocolate cream head. Smell of dark chocolate, milk, light roasted malts. Taste is delicious chocolate malts fresh cream. Highly recommended beer nice beer to enjoy for dessert. Mouthful is smooth and creamy highly drinkable and recommended.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd