Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I have to say that this is now one of my very, very favorite beers ever.

A: Thick black with bubbly, soda-like, tan foam that settles beautifully.

S: Chocolate, sweet, roasted coffee scent.

T: Rich chocolate. Sweet and smooth, not overwhelming, with coffee notes.

M: Creamy and silky smooth.

D: Refreshing, very drinkable.

Thoroughly enjoyable!

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 440ml nitro-can into a mug.

A- Very dark, nearly black/opaque. Nitro can provides a beautiful, cascading 2 finger head, which has excellent retention throughout entire consumption.

S- Sweet chocolate and coffee. Fantastic.

T- Just as the smell predicts, sweet chocolate and coffee medley. "Delicious" seems to be the simple term to best describe this desert-esque sensation.

M- Somewhat watery, but smooth going down.

D- Extremely high. It's hard to get myself to slow down when I have one of these in hand.

Future outlook: Easy to find, dependable, and delicious. Barring premature death, repeat business 100% imminent.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Pretty damn black. Wells up a ferocious head that sinks into a thin marshmellow film of barely not white bubbles.

I smell mostly milk chocolate with some dark chocolate behind it. As I would expect from something daring to call itself double chocolate.

Taste is friggin chocolaty. I guess they can keep the name. Fairly good flavor.

The body is relatively thin; soda-like. I expected a thicker fell to it.

Overall: po man's Rogue

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Outta the can, (equipped with widget ball and all) pours a stoic black color. Beautifully active stationary head with cascading microbubbles. Immediate heavy chocolate aroma with strong vanilla notes which remind you of whole milk chocolate milk. Which is funny because this brew reminds you of a heavy milk stout. It's actually a sweet stout with very tame malts that makes for great drinkability. One of my very favorite chocolate stouts. Could possibly considered a desert beer.

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

Split a bottle of this with a friend. This was my first chocolate stout, I had high expectations and Young's delivered.

Looks yummy right from the pour. Very dark brown, almost black, with a big, thick topping of brown head. Smells pretty good - some chocolate, like you'd expect, with some typical stout roastiness and coffee. Still, not the big whiff of chocolatey goodness I was hoping for.

It's got a really nice taste to it, and just like I was hoping for, a big hit of chocolate. Creamy, smooth, roasty bitterness like a good stout, and then that sweet chocolate and coffee taste. I was expecting a big, thick milkshake-level mouthfeel, but it was actually quite thin. The plus side is that it makes it very drinkable, as I could see myself easily pounding back a few of these (well, if they were more widely available around here). Still, I could have hoped for more thickness and creaminess to make this into a real treat.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

My 2nd review after weeks of sicknss. This one I knew I'd like since I've been drinking it out of a can for a while now. Its good in a can but on tap? mmm chocolate.

The beer pours a thick rich brown-black with a dense creamy head that stays to the bottem of the glass. The aroma is rich of chocolate and malt with a slight hint of sweet milk. Minor vanilla notes come through towards the end. Flavor is ultra rich chocolate with a toasty roasted malts tht give way to a slight balance of hops that dry out the sweetness just a bit. The balance is dangerous because its not so sitcky sweet like some of this style that it impeed drinkability. Super smooth in the mouth, thick and creamy all the way to the bottem of the glass. It goes down so smooth its easy to keep drinking this beer. 2 of my favotite things: beer and chocolate.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

A - Very dark, with red overtones near the edges. A somewhat thin head with light lacing.

S - Milk chocolate, roasted grains, light hops, and medium coffee hints.

T - The taste has tones of milk chocolate, roasted grains, and caramel. The taste was surprisingly light.

M - Very smooth, even on the palate.

D - I found this beer extremely drinkable, very very light, and pulling me in for further sipping. Great beer.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Thick black, opaque, with a creamy head.
S: Roasted, & burnt notes...a little chocolate, also some coffee. Initially I thought there would be intense chocolate on the nose, but it did become more evident as the stout warmed up.
T: Wow, all chocolate initially...like a chocolate sundae, then came the burnt smokey flavours. Some cocoa bitterness, but no real hops bitterness. Tasted more like a porter.
M: Smooth, creamy, very carbonated...not that stout thickness, more watery than expected.
D: For a stout this was a good lolly drink, very easy to have more than one, light & not viscous. I imagine this is aimed to attract non-traditional stout lovers, with its dessert like characteristics.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%

Beautiful milky head, good lacing. Beer looks full, dark, and thick.

Smells of chocolate, cappuccino, roast malts, and alcohol.

Taste is chocolate, of course, cappuccino, and roast malts. Finishes thin and with alcohol underneath.

Mouthfeel starts out great, full, creamy and thick. For me it finishes watery though, with a twinge of alcohol. Not nearly as good as it looks or I expected. I wish it was a little thicker and creamier at the end.

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%

Had this on tap at Mcnellie's Pub, midtown OKC. Pours black with shades of brown barely coming through. It's topped with a two-finger creamy tan head that lingers and lingers, being kept alive by the insane carbonation bubbles that rise from the middle of the pint glass to the head. This goes on for about 3-4 minutes until finally the head starts to recede but sticks around somewhat even as you drink the sucker down. Thick stripes of lacing are left when all is said and done. Damn, it's a beauty, but there's not much going on aromatically. Some roasted malts are noticed. Tastes of dark chocolates, but not as bold as expected, being a "Double" Chocolate Stout. I might have approached this expecting something else. Some cinammon and nutmeg are involved though, with some redemptive hop goodness in the end. This is a very full-bodied brew, that just happens to be drinkable as well. Not much more I can say.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

I haven't had a Youngs Double Chocolate in probably 2 years so i decided to revisit it... and review it while i was at it.

A - Nearly opaque with the edges giving way to light. Ruby red highlights surround the center as if it were a gem. Incredible straight line separates the head of the beer from the body. Just an all around good looking stout.

S - Sweet milk chocolate, herbal, earthy hops and just a hint of roasted and caramel malts. It's kinda lacking in the roasted aroma but makes up for it when it comes around in the background.

T - sweet milk chocolate, roasted grains and an ever so slight herbal hop charecter that brings this beer together. Low coffee notes, rich in chocolate and caramel sweetness.

M - smooth as silk, glides right down without being cloying or viscous.

D - the sweet charecter of this stout, i imagine, could be distracting after a few. Don't get me wrong this beer is extremely drinkable but i could never see myself buying a case, its a bit to... dare i say... decadent? Even at a low ABV i can only see myself sipping one of these on a cold winter night by the fire.

A great overall beer that most people I have found seem to enjoy.
A: Dark most of the way through. Translucent dark copper or crimson on the outsides when held to the light.
S: Smells strongly of both milk chocolate and dark chocolate, almost the smell of walking into a candy store or chocolatier.
T: Taste is also of milk and dark chocolate. The dark chocolate taste gives way to a coffee-like bitterness and finish.
M: Coats the mouth and goes down smooth.
D: A bit thick and sweet to drink to many, but would probably have a couple.
Not a terribly complex beer, but I guess that isn't what I go for when I grab one, and it is still delicious.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Deep dark brown color with very light ruby hies when held to light. Thick brown head with good retention and lacing.

S- Roasted malts and chocolate with the chocolate being the dominant aroma. Almost milk chocolate smelling.

T - A very bittersweet chocoalte taste at first but becomes much more complex as it warms. Very important to let this one approch room temp before drinking. Once warmed the tastes are as follows: A sweet roasted malt taste up front before a wave of simisweet chocolate with hints of bitterness washes over the tongue. A light spicy bitterness lingers as well.

M/D - Medium to full bodied and a little too carbonated initially. Evens out greatly as it warms.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this beer a few years ago before I was a serious beer advocate. Didn't like it at the time since it was given to me and I had to drink it out of a can. I walk by this beer every time I am in the beer store. Went to the store with my fiancee and she asked about it. I told her what I thought and she asked if we could split it anyway. So I went ahead and picked it up. We split the bottle at her apartment. This beer is much better than I remember it. Pours a deep brown with a creamy head. Smell is exactly like sweet chocolate. Taste starts off pretty sweet and turns into a slightly bitter cocoa chocolate. Very creamy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This beer might be too sweet to have more than one, but this is much better than I remember it.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Amazing deep opaque color with a bountiful creamy deep tan head, at least a few fingers, which slowly subsides to leave a generous lacing that crawls down the glass.

The chocolate malt aroma jumps from the glass as some earthy fragrances, perhaps something woody.

WOW! At first sip, I noticed strictly roasted malt, but the second the beer hits the middle and rear of the palate, the chocolate sweetness erupts. There is just a hint of smokiness and hops, but very faint.

Thinner mouthfeel than the appearance would suggest, nice and creamy and light in carbonation.

The intense chocolate is really impressive! This beer just keeps you craving another sip. I will be after this all fall and winter long.

2.54/5  rDev -36.8%

My first try at a nitro-type container and it didn't go well. This beer looks great appearance wise, when you pour it's a tan color but then a dark color cascades down like a cloud and turns the beer all jet black.. pretty cool. I just couldn't get over how flat and watery the beer was. It was a fresh can, stored well and all, was I not pouring it right? Either way, it was so flat it made it almost drinkable.. nice lacing and all but its hard to taste the flavor when you have trouble swallowing it.

4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Thick black at the bottom, a lighter brown on top. The foam cascades beautifully at first. Later, it settles to a uniform very dark brown. The head is a creamy pale tan.

S: Fresh, roasted caramel scent.

T: Rich chocolate. Warm and toasty, hot cocoa. Slight coffee aftertaste. Very sweet.

M: Very creamy and smooth.

D: Refreshing, very drinkable.

Have this with dessert, or even instead of dessert. One of my very favorite beers, ever.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a coal black with a one-finger, creamy white cap and lacing that clings.

S: Chocolate, coffee, malted barley and a whiff of alcohol.

T: Nose mirrors the taste with notes of powdered cocoa, chocolate, coffee and malted barley. A hint of Bailey's Irish Cream down the middle. Finishes slightly bitter.

M: Creamy and velvety smooth.

D: A restrained chocolate taste profile and luxurious mouthfeel make this chocolate milk stout highly drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is smooth, creamy and fantastic! What a fabulous stout. Beer pours a jet black with a tan head that has great retention! Lacing throughout. Nose is of chocolate and roasted malts. THe flavor is a great blend with the chocolate flavoring not overpowering. The chocolate flavor does not hit until the end. A bit dry in the middle but evens out in the end. This is one that I hope to find again soon!

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer pours black with a nice tan head. Huge caramel malts and chocolate smell. The taste is creamy, chewy and smooth with a roast chocolate flavor. Drinkability is good, I could have a couple of these. A little pricey at 3.59 but I will definitely be trying this again.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Picked this up at Bert's Bier Huis in Utrecht, Netherlands.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Mug.

APPEARANCE: Black with a very big tanned bubbly head. Bubbles explode at the top and the head retains quite well. Some lacing as well.

SMELL: Sweet smelling pure chocolate. Some malted barley but not much. Aroma is not overly strong, but smells good.

TASTE: The pure chocolate is there and in the right amount. Some roasted barley malt is there as well, but the chocolate and malt is more noticeable in the aftertaste, which seemed to be delayed longer than most. It's quite chocolaty and tastes very nice.

PALATE: Medium body, thinner than expected actually, but goes down smooth. A little sticky.

DRINK: The chocolate is there and it tastes exactly what you think it would taste like, but it's not overwhelming. Very drinkable. The second bottle was better than the first, but they were both good enough to make me go back and buy a few more. I would and will definately go for it again.

this beer is heaven. it is to this day one of my all time favs. a very rich slightly heavy stout. very frothy and thick head. and they balanced it to perfection with a hint of dark chocolate. i have drank this beer many times and will definatly drink many more. youngs oatmeal stout is excellent as well..

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a great beer with plenty of character. I think this one suffers for me because the chocolate flavor is not derrived from the malt, but from actual dark chocolate that is added to the brew. I think many other breweries are able to gain a deep, rich, frothy, chocolatey character to their chocolate stouts without actually putting chocolate in the beer.

I poured mine into a duvel tulip glass. The head was around 1 inch then dissapated to nothing - not even lacing was found. I had this one out a bottle, but I have had the same out of a nitro can. I actually think the Nitro can does better, although I rarely think this.

The aroma is of chocolate, roasted malt, and honey. If I already did not know better I would say this beer is going to be sweet. I is surprisingly less sweet than many other chocolate stouts and almost every oatmeal stout.

The flavor is good. It is much less rich from a bottle. I think this beer can be served just a few degrees below room temperature; otherwise the flavors hide and you will not taste the complexity of this decent beer.

The mouthfeel is soft and pillowy when warm but thin and watery when cold. Again, serve this beer near room temperature for best results. The finish is smooth chocolatey and the best part of this worthy stout. At 5.2% this beer is highly drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Good looking stout. Dark brown, dense no light getting through. Medium size tan head with spotty sheets of lacing. Head retention is about average. Head and smell together reminds me of a milkshake

Nice smell of semi sweet chocolate and malts. Tastes pretty good. The chocolate is pleasant without being overwhelming or too sweet. Probably has something to do with the balance between malt and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin. A lot of stouts, including Guinness are a bit thin but between the smell and initial sip, I think I was looking for a milkshake here.

Drinkability is good. If this beer was thicker and had a more pronounced or sweet chocolate taste, I would probably mark it down for drinkability.

A good dessert beer or to accompany snacks. I would have liked a bit more richness though.

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

The color was dark brown with a decent sized mocha colored head.Settled to an above average lace.
The aroma of cocoa and some light coffee notes.
The taste is of chocolate,coffee hints and roasted malts.A bit of sweetness.
The feel was thin,light carbonation and a light body for the style. Mild bitterness in the finish ,but really smooth. I will say that it was quite creamy and that was good.

Notes: It was just not what I expected,so watery
and thin.
To each his own and this was not for me.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd