Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

This is my first beer review and so I thought I'd do it on what is in my opinion my first "real" good beer. I had this when in NYC at this resturaunt called Max Brenner, a place specializing in chocolate. For a while I thought drinking Corona and Hieneken was the greatest thing ever, thank god I found this website. Anyways on to the beer!
I was served this in a 1pt 6oz bottle with a frosted glass which I let warm up a little. It poured a nice dark black reminding me of guinness. Not much head but about 1/2 head was retained and left lacing on the glass.
The smell, although a little hard to remember was of roasted malts and chocolate, I think I wouldn't mind having an air freshener of this smell.
The taste was very unexpected. I've drank alot of Guinness because my best friend loves it and buys alot of it. But this is not as bitter and nutty, its very smooth and reminds me more of a dark ale than a stout at first. But then again I'm new at this, so I'm still finding out what to look for when I taste a beer. I very much liked the taste, it went well with my sandwich and chocolate cake desert.
I'm not really sure what mouthfeel really is supposed to mean, but if I had to I'd say it was very smooth, perhaps a little thicker than most lagers/ales but not so much that it absolutely dominates your mouth.
I coud definately drink several of these, its definately great with deserts or just by itself FOR desert. I looked for this the moment I got back to Albany and found it at Oliver's Beverage.

onthefarside, May 13, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Poured a very deep dark brown, really could not be any darker without turning black. Huge off white head with lots of good lace down the glass till the very end.

S - Smell was very strong, rich creamy milk chocolate, with lots of hidden spices and other subtle aromas. A hint of hops possible on the back.

M & T - Wow, very first impression was of a chocolate ice cream flaot, very much a dessert beer in taste, wow. A bit thin on the feel though, would have throught it would have been a bit more robust. Nice carbonation made it feel frothy when going down. As it warmed, hints of root beer and hops started to present themselves and round out the taste profile very nicely.

D - Overall a very nice dark session beer. A little light compared to its big brothers in the field, but a fine brew none the less. It was nice to be able to put it down with feeling too full and falling down at the end which was definatly a plus.

mikesgroove, May 12, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance - Dark and black with thick foamy head.
Smell - Smell the chocolate. The sweetness is right in the nose.
Taste - If you couldn't tell by the smell that it was going to be sweet you do now. Actually, sweeter than I expected.
Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy - lmost like a thin milkshake.

This was my first experience with YDCS and it was very good. As I've said, I bit sweeter than I expected. Definitely need to take this into account and decide if the time and/or pairing is right.

Maerzen, May 10, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -3%

I poured this from the Bomber Bottle (well, close... lable says: 1Pt 0.9US fl. oz.; so I'm assuming it was about 17oz bottle... probably 1/2 Litre). It poured out a rich black... completely opaque even when held up to a bright light source. The beer was vibrant and immediately formed a 2" head which slowly dissipated to about 1/4" cap leaving thick clumps of lacing on the glass.

The smell was.... "hey.... where's the smell??!!... maybe it's because I bleach cleaned my deck last night....might have killed my sense of smell... temporarily, I hope!

The taste was very good. Starts with a sweetness, somewhat chocolate-like... but also with bready/yeasty overtones. Then a fairly pronounced bitterness follows.... and lingers.

Mouthfeel was nice and rich... appropriate for the style.... not as thick as a Russian Imperial.... but just a little chewey. Carbonation was also appropriate.... not too high.... not too low... on the low side of average.

Drinkability was fine. At 5.2% ABV... it is a good beer to enjoy all evening long. You can probably toss back 5-6 pints over the course of an evening without feeling any ill effects. PROST!

TheBierBand, May 08, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

My first chocolate Beer, with actual chocolate in it. (Not just chocolate malts)

It smelled like fresh baked chocolate cookies. It smelled like dark roasted malts were present.

From looking at it, it obviously had the dark roasted malts that I had smelled. It was black/ dark dark brown. Tan or biege head, that lasted for a few minutes, but didn't leave much lace.

Flavours of chalky dark chocolate, and some roasty toasty malt. Not a really sweet Beer (a good thing). Not too astringent either.

Mouthfeel was nice. It was velvety smooth. Low carbonation. Med-heavy bodied.

Overall, I like it and I will have it again sometime, though next time I will split the bottle with a good friend. A good Beer for a small, quiet social gathering, because it's a tasty sipping Beer.

BrewSomerville, May 05, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Started with the bottle on this one as was very happy. Have since tried the can with the same results.

Appearance - Dark ebony with a mocha colored thick head.

Smell - Almost smelled nothing...no skunk, no hops, no alcohol. After a litte warming up, the nice aromas of chocolate started to surface.

Taste - Thick flavors of soft dark chocolate. Smooth with a little maltiness.

Mouthfeel - Very light carbonation, nice full body.

Drinkabillity - Tasty. I'll definitely take another. Nice treat that I've been picking up more than passing up when it catches my eye at the liquor store.

SaltyLime, May 04, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

A friend of mine bought a whole case of this stuff in nitro-cans and I went halfsies with him because it was rather expensive. I drank of a lot of these cold from the fridge and found I couldn't really taste anything, so this review is on a can that's a little warmer.

Pours opaque black into a 16 oz pint glass (I drank the other 0.9 oz right from the can) with a creamy froth. Visually, this is identical to a pint of Guinness from a can. The aroma, however, is a different story altogether. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with chocolate. While drinking, I realize this stout is a little thinner than I'd like it to be. It's watered down... kind of like Guinness from a can. The chocolate flavor is great, and it's followed by a slight bitter tang. But I'd be loving this if it were richer and creamier.

I'd like to try it on tap or at least from the bottle.

edskirk3, Apr 26, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

16.9 oz nitro-can, poured into a pint glass.

A: Jet black with an inch of tiny tan bubbles that last forever.

S: Nesquick, Hershey's syrup, chocolate bars...you get the idea.

T: Not as chocolatey as the aroma (thankfully), but definite chocolate malt, smoothly followed by a slight hop astringency at the end.

M: Creamy yet light.

D: An excellent dessert beverage! Not so heavy that it'd kill you at the end of a meal, and nicely sweet to complement the final course of the night.

k3n, Apr 24, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -3%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is the world's most popular sweet stout. Stout and chocolate just make sense together.

After the pour the most immediate thing you notice is the frothy head. There seems to be a lot of carbonation too. The color is a thick black. The aroma is milk chocolate with some grain. The taste is full of chocolate and a slight hop bite. The taste actually improves as it warms up.

I was drinking the 500mL bottle, I remember it being better in the nitro-can - more creamy.

sloejams, Apr 18, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance- When obtained in a can, this is the most gorgeous pour that I have ever seen. When poured into a pint glass, you can see that there is a shade that appears between the dark body of this brew and its creamy head. It is a kind of rusty brown that kind of waterfalls down into the rest of the body. If you have not seen how this one pours, YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT. Something that I noted is that it is not as dark, in color, as most of the stouts that are on the market. It looks creamy and delicious; almost like a milkshake.

Smell- Most notable aromas are of dark chocolate and cream. There are hints of nuts, possibly almonds, and coffee.

Taste- Hands down the most delicious beer that has ever hit my palate. NO SHIT!!!! I never thought I would say that about any single beer. Seeing as how the cream stout is my favorite beer style and that this is (by far) my favorite stout, I could fairly call this my favorite beer.

Mouthfeel- Thick and creamy. Halfway between a Guinness and a chocolate milkshake.

Drinkablilty- Like most heavy stouts, I wouldn't drink this one to get drunk. Never in my life, however, could I picture myself turning one of these down at any point in the day.

CreamyStoutMan, Apr 17, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 14.9 oz can into a glass. Pours dark brown with a chocolate milk shaded head. The head is nice and lasted the whole time I was drinking it. Smells of chocolate and a bit of cofee, not to strong or complex, but nice. No surprises in the taste. It feels very milky and silky and goes down quite easily. I like it, but it lacks a bit of complexity, but it's a very, very drinkable stout. And you can't go wrong for the price.

BobThomas, Apr 15, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

On tap, where I enjoy it occasionally. Can't say I feel the same for it bottled.
A very dark brown beer with a sizeable tan head. Nice retention, and some spotty lacing. Any guess what the aroma is predominantly of? Yes, it's chocolate. It has a lightly roasty smell, but chocolate predominates. Even that is somewhat more subdued than expected. I decide to ignore the beer for a bit and let it warm, which improves the aroma (and flavor) markedly.

Flavor again has a good deal of what you'd expect. There is a light vanilla flavor and a pleasant bitterness, though I wish there was more of a roasty quality. Also glad this isn't sweeter, though I guess if tinkered with you could make that work with this beer too. It's good, not great, and as it is not that sweet it can work as more than just a dessert beverage (although I rarely recall having it as anything but)
Hard not to be disappointed in the mouthfeel. I recall liking the bottled version even less in this respect. In a word - thin. Maybe they found a fuller bodied beer was too much due to the strength of the chocolate, but whatever - I still wish there was more to this.

Quite drinkable...one glass, that is. Another? I'll pass for tonite.

udubdawg, Apr 15, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

All i can say is wow... poured black with a creamy off-white head that stayed with the beer until the very end. rich creamy chocolately flavor and smell but not overpowering. finished smooth and left me wanting another one. highly recommended. by far, the best beer i've had yet

EGledhill, Apr 14, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I was able to enjoy this on tap at the old Young's Brewery. I am told this is the only place in all of the UK where I can enjoy Dbl. Chocolate Stout on tap - I am very lucky indeed!

Obviously it has a very dark color; it has a very thick, creamy head the color of light brown sugar. The aroma is sweet and full of chocolate. The taste is complex with a full array of flavors; not just chocolate as the name suggests, but also a slight toffee and (I think!) slightly nutty. It is very smooth and rolls around in your mouth. It has a strong malty taste but is balanced with just the right touch of hops. I highly recommend getting this on tap - the canned and bottled versions, even with the widgets, do not do this justice. INCREDIBLE!

** I only don't rate the drinkability higher because it is so filling I do not think I could drink more than 2 in one sitting and not feel full!

jda007, Apr 11, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer pours a rich dark brown color. The head cascades up the glass arousing the sense of anticipation. When the bubbles finally settle they leave you with a rich, smooth, tan head. The aroma is filled with chocolate, vanilla and coffee. The taste follows along those lines. The chocolate is subtle, vanilla envelopes the palate and you're left with a toasted coffee aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth, and rich. The carbonation from the nitro can is perfect for this style, not too much but just enough so that it is not flat. The drinkability is good, but I'm not one to drink too many of these in one sitting.

trekbiker3000, Apr 08, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle. Yep, chocolate. Double chocolate. Poured dark brown with big tan head. Despite the chocolate, the hops still are clear and good. Great palate. Good nose. Good all the way around. I have laid in a stock of these now that Young’s is gone. It is going to be hard to drink the last one. Sort of like eating the last Passenger Pigeon.

rkuhnel, Apr 06, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Purchased a single 500ml bottle (no widget) in Laurel, MD for $3.79.

A- Pours jet black, almost opaque, with a thick medium-brown head.

S- Scented chocolate (of course!), hints of coffee.

T- Very sweet, chocolate, coffee, but with a medium-dry finish. No taste of alcohol.

M- Very carbonated, too fizzy for the style.

D- Once in a while the beer is fine, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

I have had this before in the UK, and several years ago in the US. I was expecting it to have a stronger flavor. It must be the recent Imperial Stouts I sampled recently.

cichief, Apr 06, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this on tap at Yardhouse in Irvine, CA. On their menu, the "Double" was omitted from the name, but this is the only relevant listing I can find, so I assume this is the beer I had. I had it with a ham and pineapple pizza and back-to-back with Bayhawk Chocolate Porter so that I could compare the two.

The head was very thick, dense, and frothy; it remained all the way to the last drink and left not lacing, but a thick frothy mousse all the way down the glass. The first thing I noticed with my first sip was the mouthfeel. This is a very, very creamy beer--it certainly does justice to the style of "milk stout." It almost felt like I was drinking a pint of cream. Almost as quickly, I noticed the very nice sweetness of the beer. Sweet cream would be an apt description of this beer. After a few more sips, the roasted malt flavors became more noticeable. Chocolate and coffee notes were subtle, but there. As the beer warmed it came to taste somewhat more complex. This is a very nice, good beer.

The sweetness and roasted malt of this beer went very well with my meal. I preferred this to the Bayhawk. I would have liked to compare it to the Young's Oatmeal Stout that they also had on tap. I had had taster size portions of both before and am glad I came back to this one; I'll definitely come back both Young's Chocolate and Oatmeal sometime again.

PhiloPsych, Apr 03, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 500 ml bottle.

Smells of deep, dark chocolate and sweet milky aromas

Taste is rich and complex of dark rich chocolate. Malt dominates and hops are barely even noticable on the palate.

This was definitely a sipper as it was very rich and creamy. Still an enjoyable brew although i was a little bit let down i was expecting a little more from this brew. But the first chocolate stout i had was rogue's, so that puts the bar pretty high

YankChef, Apr 02, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

Sampled 27 March 2007, Best before 11 Dec 2007 - Gift from a friend

14.9 fl. oz can with nitro widget, poured into a pint glass

Color & Head: Black with very little to no head. I poured it the "Guinness way" and the head looked okay for a minute but faded very soon.

Aroma: Dry. Roasted malt.

Taste: Smooth and deep. If I really concentrate on it, I can taste some dark chocolate, but not much. Not a lot of coffee flavor, which is what I generally like in the style. It tastes a lot like a cigar, really.

Notes: A friend brought me this one from Atlanta – Thanks M_D! The taste was overwhelmingly like a cigar. The Wife didn’t really care for it, but I enjoyed it. Then again, I enjoy a nice cigar occasionally as well.

Butch

Butch, Mar 27, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a nitro-can into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Dark black color with slight ruby red tinting at the edges. Beautiful cascade.

S: Nice aroma of toasted malt and cocoa.

T: Very much like the bottled version of this. Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa, bakers chocolate, toasted malt, and lightly bitter hops. Not as bitter as the bottled version.

M: Unbelievably creamy and thick. Rich and incredibly full. Not much more to be said about that.

D: Phenominal! Milk stouts don't get much better than this.

GbVDave, Mar 22, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

16.9 oz, best before Aug 04 2007.

Just about equal parts pitch black brew and dark brown head. Decent lace.

Chocolate, rich and sweet. Toasty bread under the chocolate. Mild floral hops.

Medium bodied. Sweet rich chocolate. Tart floral hop oils. Light grassy esters. Dark roasted fruit, grape. Surprisingly light. Velvet smooth. Finishes dry, lightly grassy.

Fond memories of this guy on tap. This bottle was not quite as good as I recalled. Still tasty though, so much chocolate.

MrHungryMonkey, Mar 20, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -8%

Nitro can pors dark brown nearly black with thick nitro head. Little hop aroma and a malty sweet aroma. Taste is sweet with a little chocolate coming through in the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy.

Drinkability-meaning could I drink a few of these at anyone time? No-I think one of these will be enough. I enjoyed this beer and would like to taste this and a Mackensons back to back

bradybeer, Mar 19, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle. Leaves one finger of beige colored head, with excellent retention, and excellent spotty lacing. Body is the deepest brown.

Smell - chocolate, dark crusted malt bread, roasted malt, and a hint of lemon/lime soda. Smells rich and hearty.

Taste - same as the smell. Delicious and hearty chocolate and dark crusted malt bread. Hops show up as a hint of lemon/lime soda, mostly on the finish, at times combining there on the finish with malt and chocolate for a cola taste as well.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, noticablely carbonated, a little semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is delicious and hearty. This is good ale, and quite sessionable.

ultralarry2006, Mar 19, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Yum. Beautiful combination of sweet chocolate, chewy malt, and lightly bitter hops.

16.9oz bottle, purchased in Northern California March 2007, best before May 2007. Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, with tan highlights; one finger of tan head that dissipates quickly.

Rich chocolate on the nose, some hop edge, a little bit of bitter alcohol. Taste follows up wonderfully, predominantly malty, just the right amount of chocolate sweetness in the center followed by a nice balance of mellow and dry English hops. Smooth and silky, but not remotely syrupy - eminently drinkable, especially when colder (as it gets warmer, the finish gets a bit astringent). Some nice warm powdery chocolate lingers. Beautiful and beautifully integrated.

Great job with this one. Young's really has it together.

Talisker, Mar 17, 2007