Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally got away from Macrobrew and bought myself a bottle of this.

Wow, the aroma of the chocolate really amazed me. I could smell it even before I took my first sip. This is an exceptional brew. It has an almost creamy mouthfeel and the chocolate stands out in the flavor but doesn't overpower the taste.

It also is giving me a bit of a buzz. It's a full English pint and I'm sure the alcohol content is well above 5%.

Overall, I'm glad I picked it up. I'm enjoying this 1 bottle better than the whole 6 pack of macrobrew that I last reviewed...

GrillMeister, Nov 20, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: After the cascading nitro bubbles subside, it's black with a creamy head.

Smell: Slight chocolate.

Taste: Mildly sweet chocolate with a little bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Creamy goodness.

Drinkability: I think this is more sessionable in cans than bottles.

I had not had this one in a while, and last time it was in a bottle. I'd say the bottle brings out more sweetness and chocolate than the can version. A very good sweet stout.

Mdog, Nov 16, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +4%

Deep and almost completely opaque mahogany color with a cocoa brown topping. Nose is more chocolate than beer but nonetheless, very nice. Very dessert-like and pleasant. Slight vanilla, cocoa, and a hidden soft roastiness under the chocolate. Taste is more bittersweet chocolate than the cocoa nose. The roasted malt is more evident along with a balancing bitterness. Not too sweet yet very chocolatey. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and satiny. Good sized fullish body to hold up the double chocolate.

Mmmm Chocolate. If you're looking for a chocolate beer I would recomend this as an appetizer to Rogue's chocolate stout.

tastybeer, Nov 14, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a deep black with faint brown tinges at the edges when held up to a light. Big, spumescent cocoa head floats on top eventually dropping down to a thin, bubbly cap that holds up well. Smells like chocolate. Real chocolate. Sweet, rich, and creamy. Dark, malty flavor doesn't quite match the smell in richness, though its still good. Plenty of bittersweet chocolate. Silky mouthfeel but it isn't as heavy as I'd like it to be. Even so, this is a tasty and highly drinkable stout.

wedge, Nov 14, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a dark brown/black with small deep tan head. Very rich, great looking beer. Has hints of malt, lots of chocolate (no surprise there), and no bitterness. Very smooth beer. Aroma seems to intensify as time progresses.
(first BA review, hopefully this will suffice)

BrandonB, Nov 13, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a big bottle to a pint glass, The liquid is a very dark brown, ok carbonation. The head is ok about 1 finger, off white to tan no lace.

The smell is dry coco, semi sweet chocolate & malt.

The taste follows, Chocolate in a standard stout.

The mouthfeel is a little thinner then expected.

The drinkability is ok, one is enough. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 13, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Big thick black brew with a perfectly creamy, thick, and tight head that lasts for the duration of the beer. Solid tan sheets of beautiful lace.

S - Smells like chocolate milk, cream, hard chocolate candies, rootbeer, and malted milk balls. Hints of vanilla and sugar also. Cream cheese notes also.

T - Heavily creamed and sugared coffee. Rich milk, whipped cream, very sweet and sugary milk chocolate yoohoo flavor. Sweetness becomes more dark and bitter towards the dry finish with a bit of roasty grains. Could be a little more roasty and stout IMO to balance the overpowering sweetness.

M - Slick and sugary. Full bodied and creamy.

D - Pretty good as a desert beer, but too heavy and sugary to consume more than one of. I will surely rrevisit this fine chocolatey brew, but IMO the sweetness and sugary milk chocolate flavor is a bit overdone.

I think that next time I will get this in a bottle. It seems that other reviewers feel that the bottled version is less thick and sugary. IMO those are the exact qualities that I feel are overdone in this brew.

pmcadamis, Nov 11, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle with a best by date on the back label. Was a solid black color with a thick, brownish head that stuck around for a long time. Also had pretty good lacing throughout. The smell was excellent and strong of bittersweet chocolate and chocolate malts. The taste was also excellent. Was chocolaty throughout and had just a little bitterness in the back. I would rate it higher if it had just a little more bite to offset the sweetness. Mouthfeel was good - just a little watery. Would rate higher if were a little more creamy. Overall, a great beer that I would never turn down and would definitely have in avail on tab. For home consumption, a good quarterly treat. Highly recommend and probably the best in category for me. (4.5, RR, T,Y)

TexIndy, Nov 09, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +5%

On-tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA.

I thought nitrogen is supposed to ruin beer. What happened?

Appearance: The pour is a slick black color with a creamy tan head. Great retention.

Smell: I first ordered an Aventinus, but the keg had kicked, so I got this instead. I was disappointed until I took a whiff of the aroma. The head unleashes a flurry of chocolate and toffee.

Taste: The taste didn't quite live up to the nose, but it had a lot to live up to. There is chocolate, roasted malts, and a light English hop presence. No toffee though. Oh, well.

Mouthfeel: The body was soft and creamy like other nitro beers.

Drinkability: This is tremendous. It's actually better with nitrogen than it is in the bottle. I still don't get it, but I'd rather drink it then ponder the mystery. Don't pass this up if you see it at a bar.

goschool, Nov 01, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Not bad, but not the best chocolate stout I've ever had. Nice chocolate flavor. It wasn't bitter enough for my personal taste, but still enjoyable.

Appearance: Poured a dark brown/black with a finger of mocha colored head.

Aroma: Stouty but I didn't really detect to much chocolate.

Taste: Ahh, there the chocolate is. Sweet chocolate taste, but again not bitter enough for me.

Mouthfeel: Nothing special, good, but nothing special. Average amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. It would make a good session stout.

thagens, Oct 31, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Dark brown/black color, meringue-like head that lasts all the way to the last sip.

S - Chocolate is huge in the aroma. Also some maltiness, maybe a hint of hops and alcohol, but so subtle I may be imagining it.

T - Not as strong a chocolate presence as in the nose, but still discernable. Malty flavors, some coffee as well. Sweet, but not cloying.

M - Medium bodied, creamy, I hesitate to say "sensual," but will do so nevertheless.

D - Not a huge fan of sweet stouts, but this is my favorite of the style. My girlfriend will drink a 4-pack of this in an evening and go looking for more.

BlackAngus, Oct 30, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Nitro-can poured into an imperial pint glass
Expiration date on can is March 29, 2007

Smell is wonderful, smells like unsweetened chocolate, faint hops, and I swear I smell alcohol, but that is the only presence it will make in this beer.

Taste is sublime, smooth chocolate with a light bitter hop twist, the hops really do a good job of not making this brew not taste like a liquid candy bar.

This has been one of my favorite beers ever since I started drinking good beer, and is hands down the best from Young's, IMO. Do seek out this brew, as I have yet to have a Chocolate or Milk Stout that can come close to the taste and drinkibility of this one.

And don't worry about the expiration date on the can, I've had one's that were two years past that date and they were still excellent.

leftmindedrighty, Oct 29, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Black all the way through with a half-inch head, strong retention and a real thick lace.

S: Toasted malt scent backed with chocolate and a somewhat clean profile.

T: Great malt notes with a light hint of coffee, delicious chocolatey body and somewhat of a smooth bite.

M: Thick and creamy, very stout and sweet on the palate. Almost like a beer milkshake (not as gross as it would seem).

D: Would definitely order a few more of these. This one seemed like it would start off decent enough, but really kicked in with the flavors and mouthfeel, which were quite delightful.

CharlieMopps, Oct 26, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Deep brownish black. 1" light tan nitro head doesn't move during the consumption of the pint, apart from what sticks to my upper lip.

Nose is brown bread maltiness, with nicely integrated dark chocolate notes. Not overly complex, but quite nice. Sadly, it's the highlight.

A bit of a let down in the mouth. Initially, just some non-descript maltiness, but things start happening in the mid-palate when the chocolate malt notes kick in. Pretty short but slightly sweet finish.

Nasty undead nitro mouthfeel. Despite being something of a novelty brew, it's fine for matching with not too sweet chocolate desserts, which is the context in which I had it. I wouldn't want two in a sitting though.

Realale, Oct 26, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the multicolored can to the mysterious sound of the nitro-capsule I was expecting the unexpected. I was not disappointed. A liquid dark chocolate poured into my glass. It's appearance, aroma, and taste fully reinforced this initial image. My fiance, who is not in any way a beer fan, insisted on trying this one after the smell drifted in her direction. Our mutual assesment of this brew is that double chocolate is no gimmick, but a straight up statement of what's in store. Very smooth and creamy, sweet with a heavy aftertaste this full bodied stout is one we'll enjoy again.

Envious, Oct 24, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

It pours a very dark beer, with a smooth tan head.
Complex smeel includes bittersweet chocolate, coffee, burnt sugar, caramel.
Taste is mostly sweet, a nice chocolate but has hints of caramel (Caramilk, the swiss/canadian chocolate comes to mind) and a lightly bitter coffee that gives it some balance.
Medium body, definitely lighter than you would expect, but that also increases its drinkability. I could easily have three or four of this delicious beer.

brdc, Oct 21, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

I'd describe this beer as "complex". Complex in terms of having a variety of interesting flavor components. Every part of the tongue is stimulated - sweet, salty, bitter, sour.

My palate isn't sophisticated, so I couldn't pick out any chocolate, but I knew what I was drinking was something extraordinary.

I enjoyed the beer. Even my wife, who isn't a beer fan, commented that "it really tastes like something, not just bitter."

Mouthfeel was pleasant, but it didn't rise to sublime level of its sibling, Young's Oatmeal Stout.

I'd certainly order it again, but if I had a choice between this one and a Young's Oatmeal Stout, I'd go with the oatmeal (Alas, I think the oatmeal has been discontinued).

wanker, Oct 20, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

S - Served in a taster glass at Growlers Pub off of Lindbergh.

A - Black with certain deep brown hues that reflect through the edges of the glass. Pretty nice.

S - Whiskey, Slight hint of chocolate, malty roasty sweetness, not much else. Pretty disappointed with this "Double Chocolate stout."

T - Tastes like an Irish Car Bomb shot, stout with a shot of whiskey dropped in, really not enjoyable, little chocolate taste in the finish which makes it kind of nice but the rest of the experience kind of cancels it out.

M - Slick and carbonated, watery as well. Easy as shit to drink, which is one thing I dont want in my stouts, especially a double chocolate stout.

d - Like I said, easy as shit to drink. Really disappointed, I wanted to sweat trying to finish this.

rsyberg01, Oct 19, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got mine in the pint+ bottle.

Pours a nice double chocolate brown, approaching black. Present is a very nice tan head and good lacing all the way down.

Smell is that of, guess what, chocolate. It was what I imagine Charlie would have smelled opening up a Wonka bar. Absolutely delicious but not overwhelming.

When the beer first hit my lips, it seemed as though I had a milkshake in my hands. I also picked up hints of root beer. Mmmm... a root beer float. Of course, there are the usual roasty malt flavors with some caramel hints as well.

Mouthfeel is nice with a medium/full body.

Drinkability is also good, but you may not want to go all night on it... unless your regular dessert is "Death by Chocolate". Check it out.

trinitone, Oct 19, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a 4-pak at the corner liquor store. Popped the top and got a good fizz from the nitro insert. Poured it slowly into a 20 oz goblet.

Super dark (opaque) color, no light comin' through this one. Nice tan creamy head. Smells of nice Colombian Andes coffee with Toblerone.

Taste is milk chocolatey with very slight roasted coffee undertones. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, not as heavy as one would expect after pouring.

This is indeed a tasty brew, I think I'll have another!

mooseisloose, Oct 18, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tall, 440mL nitro-can of Young's Stout with a widget. I love milk/sweet stouts, especially as the weather gets colder. High expectations for this one.

Pours out a thick, jet black bottom with a cascading rush of carbonation. Deliciously creamy looking tan head that floats atop the body and maintains its one-finger height. Mmm.

Soapy, chalky aroma with some coffee notes. Sweet malts and a slight alcohol presence. Touch of cream on the nose. Decent.

Creamy foam head hits the tongue first. Very milky. Some dark chocolate notes linger around. Initial hop bitterness that fades out after the first couple of sips. Brew really gives way to coffee/chocolate, as they dominate the taste. Some sweet malts, but not much of a really defined malt profile. Tasty, but unfortunately a bit too watery. Strong coffee in the finish, pure coffee beans.

Not bad, definitely drinkable and enjoyable. Coffee bean finish leaves this one a little dry at the end, but mouthfeel is mostly watery. Creamy foam head leaves me with a little bit of a much welcomed illusion.

nouseforotacon, Oct 15, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I picked this up on a recommendation. I'd never had a chocolate stout before, and I was anxious to try one. Not knowing what to expect, my mouth was awaiting something along the lines of a fizzy YooHoo.

It poured pitch black , which is exactly what I expected, along with a nice heavy head that was just shy of a cooked marshmallow color. The head stayed around for a good long time and left heavy lacing all the way down.

The smell was amazing. So much going on, and it was all dominated by one of my favorite things, chocolate. I thought it was fantastic and kept smelling the glass and bottle over and over.

The mouthfeel was a thick and creamy, and turned foamy as I held it in my mouth. Not a lot of bite from the bubbles. I think it suited the flavor very well.

Taste: Okay, this is far from a fizzy YooHoo. But I really enjoyed it. It has a lot of the flavor of a traditional Stout, but there are hints of chocolate. After you swallow it down, you're treated to a nice rush of chocolately flavor aftertaste.

I found it very drinkable, other than the fact it left me feeling bloated and full. I found myself wanting another one the next day. I don't think its the perfect beer but I really, really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe that two great things could be mated together so well.

DieselSnorter, Oct 15, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Super dark. A slight reddish/brown shows through where it's thin. A super thick multiple inch creamy tan head sits on top with a very light pour.
Heavy cocoa aroma. Very much like baking cocoa powder.
A touch of roasted malt. More of a milk chocolate flavor. Maybe some hops in there to provide a touch of balance.
Full bodied and strangeley carbonated. Very silky texture and soft on the palate. Almost to silky plain for my tastes.
I may prefer the bottled version a bit more simply because of the mouthfeel difference. Still is a very nice beer.

BeerRun13, Oct 14, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from the bottle to an opaque jet-black with thick tan head that lingered for most of the glass, then left good lacing on the glass. Excellent aroma of walking into a candy shop with the sweet smell of fresh chocolate and caramel in the air. Taste was more muted than the aroma, but still very much sweet chocolate. Finish was a little watery, but overall, a stout beer well worth drinking.

kimcgolf, Oct 14, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured in the light, this looks like dark coffee or root beer cascading into the glass. Once there, it seems pitch black and has a substantial foamy head that is a gradient from nearly brown near the beer fading to a tan near the top. The head retains well and leaves droopy lacing that eventually settles back down into the beer save a few islands along the edge of the glass. The smell is of chocolate and deep malts from well roasted barley. There is anise and plum and herbs and rooty confectioners chocolate all up in my grill when I’m smelling this. There is just so much in the nose here. The taste is so balanced and fantastic, I don’t know where to begin. It rich and creamy and properly carbonated with chocolate very pervasively, but not overly strongly exploding across the palate. There are deep rooty essences and a non-descript fine bitterness throughout, nothing floral. It tastes like powdery chocolate, but totally no artificial. And I want to gulp this beer; dangerously so. This is a superb after dinner beer. The mouthfeel is creamy and crisp, soft and dark, but very present. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer; exceptional all around.

xoqx, Oct 13, 2006