1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tall, 440mL nitro-can of Young's Stout with a widget. I love milk/sweet stouts, especially as the weather gets colder. High expectations for this one.

Pours out a thick, jet black bottom with a cascading rush of carbonation. Deliciously creamy looking tan head that floats atop the body and maintains its one-finger height. Mmm.

Soapy, chalky aroma with some coffee notes. Sweet malts and a slight alcohol presence. Touch of cream on the nose. Decent.

Creamy foam head hits the tongue first. Very milky. Some dark chocolate notes linger around. Initial hop bitterness that fades out after the first couple of sips. Brew really gives way to coffee/chocolate, as they dominate the taste. Some sweet malts, but not much of a really defined malt profile. Tasty, but unfortunately a bit too watery. Strong coffee in the finish, pure coffee beans.

Not bad, definitely drinkable and enjoyable. Coffee bean finish leaves this one a little dry at the end, but mouthfeel is mostly watery. Creamy foam head leaves me with a little bit of a much welcomed illusion.

nouseforotacon, Oct 15, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I picked this up on a recommendation. I'd never had a chocolate stout before, and I was anxious to try one. Not knowing what to expect, my mouth was awaiting something along the lines of a fizzy YooHoo.

It poured pitch black , which is exactly what I expected, along with a nice heavy head that was just shy of a cooked marshmallow color. The head stayed around for a good long time and left heavy lacing all the way down.

The smell was amazing. So much going on, and it was all dominated by one of my favorite things, chocolate. I thought it was fantastic and kept smelling the glass and bottle over and over.

The mouthfeel was a thick and creamy, and turned foamy as I held it in my mouth. Not a lot of bite from the bubbles. I think it suited the flavor very well.

Taste: Okay, this is far from a fizzy YooHoo. But I really enjoyed it. It has a lot of the flavor of a traditional Stout, but there are hints of chocolate. After you swallow it down, you're treated to a nice rush of chocolately flavor aftertaste.

I found it very drinkable, other than the fact it left me feeling bloated and full. I found myself wanting another one the next day. I don't think its the perfect beer but I really, really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe that two great things could be mated together so well.

DieselSnorter, Oct 15, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Super dark. A slight reddish/brown shows through where it's thin. A super thick multiple inch creamy tan head sits on top with a very light pour.
Heavy cocoa aroma. Very much like baking cocoa powder.
A touch of roasted malt. More of a milk chocolate flavor. Maybe some hops in there to provide a touch of balance.
Full bodied and strangeley carbonated. Very silky texture and soft on the palate. Almost to silky plain for my tastes.
I may prefer the bottled version a bit more simply because of the mouthfeel difference. Still is a very nice beer.

BeerRun13, Oct 14, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from the bottle to an opaque jet-black with thick tan head that lingered for most of the glass, then left good lacing on the glass. Excellent aroma of walking into a candy shop with the sweet smell of fresh chocolate and caramel in the air. Taste was more muted than the aroma, but still very much sweet chocolate. Finish was a little watery, but overall, a stout beer well worth drinking.

kimcgolf, Oct 14, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured in the light, this looks like dark coffee or root beer cascading into the glass. Once there, it seems pitch black and has a substantial foamy head that is a gradient from nearly brown near the beer fading to a tan near the top. The head retains well and leaves droopy lacing that eventually settles back down into the beer save a few islands along the edge of the glass. The smell is of chocolate and deep malts from well roasted barley. There is anise and plum and herbs and rooty confectioners chocolate all up in my grill when I’m smelling this. There is just so much in the nose here. The taste is so balanced and fantastic, I don’t know where to begin. It rich and creamy and properly carbonated with chocolate very pervasively, but not overly strongly exploding across the palate. There are deep rooty essences and a non-descript fine bitterness throughout, nothing floral. It tastes like powdery chocolate, but totally no artificial. And I want to gulp this beer; dangerously so. This is a superb after dinner beer. The mouthfeel is creamy and crisp, soft and dark, but very present. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer; exceptional all around.

xoqx, Oct 13, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +5%

A: Deep dark black. Carbonation is excellent. Head is a mocha color and very fine (nitro!) and creamy with good retention. Real thick, creamy lace almost like a milkshake that slowly thins into an intricate pattern.

S: Yum. Smells like a chocolate bar with espresso. A slight roasted nut, and a hoppy caramel.

T: A nice bitter chocolate with a sweet fruity aftertaste. Simple and charming

M: A little watery, good body and great carbonation

D: This is a very drinkable stout. One of my favorites.

uberabr, Oct 13, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

First, Stout is not my style of choice. Second, I generally prefer chocolate in the form of a pie. But Young's Double Chocolate Stout was an excellent tasting!

If you've ever walked in to a real chocolatier's shop, this brew offers the same olfactory experience. In the glass, it looks like strong coffee with a creamy two-finger head -- quickly subsiding. The flavor is. . . wow! It's like I've raided the fridge and started eating chocolate sauce by the spoonful. Absolutely delicious. The finish is something I could get used to. . . chocolate coffee with a slight hint of bitterness. But it's fairly clean, considering the style.

LiquidBreadMan, Oct 11, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a black thick beer with a fluffy white head. Smells of chocolate and malt. Tastes basically the same. Not nearly as rich as I was expecting it be. Tastes more or less like a slightly alcoholic chocolate malt shake. This isnt my favorite. Could only drink one of these and would prefer to split the bottle with someone. Think it would go really well with some vanilla ice cream though.

jtell, Oct 10, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim and am very glad I did.

Pours dark with a creamy head. Smell was very appealing with hints of the chocolate. Was very smooth and the chocolate taste came through very nicely and finished well. A very easy beer to relax with and drink – it’s worth a try if you haven't already.

ncm45, Oct 09, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a dense opaque black with a frothy head. Chocolate malty smell that carries over in the taste. Smooth and drinkable, with a mocha finish brought out with the bite of bittersweet chocolate. This one is a winner and one that is good to relax with anytime.

techdiver, Oct 08, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is most definitely a comfort beer for me. Upon opening the can and pouring it out I can already sense my body relaxing and am anticipating its smooth texture and sweet taste. I know it's been stated many times before but it has the appearance of Guinness Draught. The aroma is similiar to a malted chocolate milkshake (of course). Upon initial tasting, you palate is overwhelmed by the silky texture and chocolate taste. It really does remind me of a milkshake. As it warms in the glass, the chocolate fades and the bitterness comes out more. The smooth mouthfeel changes to a more traditional average to thick viscosity of a stout. The aftertaste leaves a mild roasitness behind mixed with faint semisweet chocolate. After a glass of this, there is no need or want of another. This is great for a dessert beer!

cmmprez, Oct 02, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Trying to broaden my beer horizons so to speak, I hit up the liquor store on my way home from work in search of an Irish Stout that didn't rhyme with "Guinness." Not surprisingly, this particular liquor store didn't offer much in terms of selection. In fact, they offered just three different types of Irish Stout - Guinness (no surprise there), Murphy's and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Familiar with both Guinness and Murphy's (they're constantly on stock in this household) my choice was an easy one - I had a one on one date with Young. This is neither here nor there, but I paid $9.99 (before tax) for a four pack. Naturally, I saw it selling for $8.49 at a different liquore store two days later. Go figure.

If we start with appearance, the beer has a thick, creamy head that settles quite nicely. Its color is similar to Guinness in that it is, well, black. There's no way in hell you'll see any sort of light permeating through this beers thick body.

Smell wise, I noticed hints of chocolate and mocha. No surprise there. The chocolate aroma certainly stands out but it isn't overpowering.

This is a perfect case of taste mimicking smell. I noticed definite signs of chocolate and mocha on my palate. The good news? The beer wasn't so rich that I felt like I was drinking a dessert. In this case, the name "Double Chocolate" is a bit deceiving. I was pleasantly surprised, as I'm not a huge fan of that which tends to be too sweet.

No big surprises in the mouthfeel category. The beer is smooth, thick and creamy. Silk-like even. It's what you would expect from a good Irish Stout. Furthermore, the beer is crisp and reasonably carbonated.

Drinkability? I sipped (and I stress the word "sipped" because this is a beer that you'll certainly want to take your time drinking) and finished two in a little over an hour. You'll want to pace yourself on this particular beer, savor the chocolate and mocha aromas and flavors, and let your palate have a little bit of fun.

MikeyHamilton, Oct 01, 2006

One of my favorite beers of all time.... this can only be described as yummy!!!! A must buy in the can version only...

Served in tall chilled glass

Nice white head

Very dark almost black...

Taste is very Guinness like, but with a hint of chocolate (not overpowering) and notes of creamy coffee

The feel in the month is very creamy

Nice finish with a slight chocolate aftertaste...

A must have beer if you enjoy stout type beers... Drink and enjoy.

mralphabet, Sep 29, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Great nitro pour that settled from the bottom-up. Pretty standard, much like Guinness. Nice off-white head sitting on top of a very dark brown opaque beer. Can only see the brownish/reddish edges when held up to the light.

S: Chocolate dominates, with some smokiness/roastiness. It's not a terribly powerful aroma, but it's there.

T: Hell yeah. This is rich, creamy, smooth and tasty. Up front is some milk chocolate and moves into a very VERY VERY light bitterness. There's a mild roasted flavor as well that piggybacks this. Finish has some hot cocoa thing going on. But the focus is the chocolate, bar none.

M: Silky and creamy.

D: I've never had more than one chocolate stout at a time, and so I don't know if I would get sick of a beer if I overdid it. I wouldn't mind trying with this one, though.

rarevos, Sep 28, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +9%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
500 ml bottle
Recent bottling, adored 09/06
Medium pour in an English pint glass.

Poured black with a dark brown ruby edge with a large creamy mostly lasting light brown head with good lacing.

Smelt of moderate pure real chocolatey goodness with slight dark chocolate malt undertones.

Taste was upfront moderate bitter dark chocolate roastiness and light milk chocolatey sweetness followed by a moderate semi sweet chocolatey desert feel that lingers perfectly. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, slightly dry, fizzy with light astringency.

Overall, holy shit, somebody threw some vanilla ice cream in my beer and it tastes like a chocolate milkshake beer float and I think I like it. Then somebody almost ruined it all by throwing too much water in there and the boldness of the taste went away. Still perfectly tasty though.

xav33, Sep 27, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Looked pretty good with nice dark clear color and a creamy head. Smell was definite chocolate with coffee as well. Semi-sweet taste with definite chocolate overtones but this one had a slight musty taste that was hard to place. Not much in the way of hoppiness. Goes down real smooth, very drinkable.

ruleof72, Sep 24, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow. I had to try a couple places to find this beer, but it was certainly worth it. Top five brews?

Appearance – Black. Really black. Dark enough you couldn’t see through it in a pint glass when held in front of a 60w lamp. A smooth, foamy ¾” tan head tops it off.

Smell: Perfect? A rich stout with a sweet smell of chocolate.

Taste: Not as sweet as you’d expect, but you definitely recognize the chocolate flavor immediately. A really nice balance of bitter & sweet.

Feel: Very smooth & full. Light carbonation and very enjoyable.

I’m certainly not a chocoholic, but this beer certainly cracks the top 5 beers I’ve had. It’s combination of a bitter stout and sweet chocolate is certainly worth trying.

msolar, Sep 23, 2006

I have had this beer quite a few times, and this time it is in a bottle. I prefer the nitro can, but it wasn't available where I was shopping, so...

Pours really black, with a tan head that turned white. Smell is like baked dark chocolate.

Taste is a definite mouthfeel, with some tasty malts, and a dark baked chocolate finish.

I am ranking this a bit lower than usual because it was bottled... and like I said, I prefer the nitro, but still tasty. But not a beer I like to drink all the time.

flexabull, Sep 23, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

One of those beautiful looking brews, Young's 2 x Chocolate Stout is black as coal & looks as though it could be as dense as that, too. A thick, creamy head whose lacing bear-hugs the pint glass on its way down just adds to the spectacle.

English chocolate, malt, English Chocolate, malt, English Chocolate...you get the picture (to be perfectly honest, I am actually picking up a slight nuttiness that I haven't noticed in the past, although it certainly plays second fiddle to the headliners). There needn't be anything else going on because my glass smells like dessert which is just fine by me.

Chocolate malt is the most obvious flavor on the initial sip although, unlike the nitro-can or on-tap incarnations, I'm not getting much of the actual dark chocolate. Interestingly, I'm getting bitter hop & coffee notes, almost like a mocha porter. And while the bottled version isn't quite as creamy as the aforementioned types (which is akin to saying Donald Rumsfield isn't quite as evil as Dick Cheney), it's "Luxury" moniker is still well-earned. Excellent.

Right amount of carbonation coupled with a good, thick body makes this right on target for the genre. Not the kind of beer you could drink all night, but if you were to try I doubt you'd suffer all that badly...

Just tried this with some chocolate ice cream. Just ridiculous. Just...damn.

malcontent, Sep 21, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +7%

This was on nitro-tap... amazing. Served with about a finger of thick creamy nitro induced vanilla head on top of a very dark stoutlike body. It smelled of chocolate, and coffee and tasted the same. It was like drinking the best guinness in the world, and chocolate at the same time. I found it quite drinkable, and could easily session this.

dbalsock, Sep 19, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours out very dark with a nice creamy tan head that is three fingers in a pint glass.
The smell is fruity and malty with a slight hint of roasted chocolate.
The taste is milky creamy chocolate but not overpowering. This taste like a beer but is very chocolatey.
Mouthfeel is very clean and sweet with no hops to bitter the aftertaste.
I could drink a few of these at a time. Very nice indeed.

peabody, Sep 18, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours: A medium dark black with a nice and creamy tan head .

Scent: Roasted malts and just a faint whiff of chocolate .

Taste: Verry much like a homemade chocolate milkshake.

Mouthfeel: Was ritch and creamy, and had verry little carbonation to speak of.

Drinkability: I rate this pretty high and like to grab a few whenever i can!

Tallboy, Sep 17, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Black with a creamy head.

Smell: Chocolate is apparent as expected and the roastiness of is great. A very sweet aroma.

Taste: Chocolate is pretty dominate although the roasted malts come through as well. Great dessert type beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick almost chewy body, very rich and creamy, hard to believe a body like this in a beer.

Drinkability: Went down easy but it is kind of filling, I doubt anyone would really want to session this but it is nice to have one for a treat. I'd take this over a typical dessert any day.

tattooedtolley, Sep 15, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: small bubbles with little existing froth that sticks to the glass
Beer color is dark with permanent troubled transparency
sticking of bubble to side

Aroma: sweeting, like powered chocolate, but it is cool rather than hot

Taste: sweet with a slight bitter taste.

Mouth feel: surprising light mouth feel with a carbonation and bitterdry finish and powery taste

definietly recommend with an interesting mix of hot chocolate feel to it, but the beer is cool and drinkable.

amoebalink, Sep 15, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

As I had it straight from the bottle, I can't report on it's appearance, but the nose and flavor were quite good. It's first and foremost a very solid stout with a nice roasted malt character, hints of chocolate in the nose and more in the aftertaste. Exhale through your nose after taking a drink and you'll really get the full effect. Overall it's a well balanced brew and the chocolate notes are a nice touch without being overpowering.

JWFokker, Sep 14, 2006