Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
hoffman

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I really liked this one. I the beer an apologie for a bad pour....therefor I cannot comment on the head of this beer only to say that the consistancy was creamy and full and that the lace was nice sticking to the glass during the entire session. The beer is an opaque brown nothing earth shattering here but a nice looking beer in the glass. The smell is very prominant, sweet malts are almost exclusive with some hop presence to sting the senses. The taste is sweet and there are not just hints of chocolate but full blown taste at the outset. A very nice balance of sweet and smooth/dry and bitter. The finish is a nice bite to balance the smooth cream of the initial flavor. Very creamy feel nicest part of this one I would say. I like this one as well as any I have had so far from the sweet stout class.

10-14-2005 03:45:21 | More by hoffman
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

I had higher hopes for this beer. Albeit good, I was expecting more. The beer exhibited good roasted barley qualities with solid bittersweet chocolate aromas with a twinge of lactose. The flavors were solid, but mellow. Not as rich in the lactose and chocolate as I expected. The body is where this beer really fell short with me. It wasn't as silky or smooth as I expected. The texture was a bit grainy and bitter (not from hops) and became watery into the finish. The chocolates never stood out enough to earn the name "Double Chocolate". Nevertheless, a good beer, I just expected more.

10-10-2005 12:27:16 | More by BEERchitect
xduderx

Tennessee

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

A: a dark blackish with some carbonation

S: smells of coffee and chocolate

T: very typical stout flavors of coffee and chocolate, but as you drink this the aftertaste begins to feel like you've been eating chocolate cake.

M: medium-full body with a creamy texture

D: a good treat every now and then, but not an everyday beer. too expensive and too chocolatey for that.

10-07-2005 16:09:28 | More by xduderx
rhoadsrage

4.15/5  rDev +3%

(Served in an imperial pint glass)

A-This beer pours an inky black opaque body with a creamy smooth dark tan head that has a faint hint of purple in it. A few bubbles stick to the side and it looks like a good carbonation.

S- Deep roast grains with notes of chocolate, coffee, and earthiness permeate. A slight sweetness and tartness are in the background.

T- The smooth taste of deep roasted malt and some creaminess make this very drinkable. Some notes of coffee and bittersweet chocolate come through as it warms up. A faint bitterness at the finish might be hops but they are hard to detect.

M- Medium-full mouthfeel is enhanced by the creamy texture. No astringency or alcohol warmth.

D- This is a very nice stout. The taste is a bit watery but the smell and mouthfeel really make up for it. This is worth drinking again and a must if it is in cask or aged in barrels

10-06-2005 02:52:52 | More by rhoadsrage
Dukeofearl

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a deep, dark, deep, dark, deep, dark brown though which no light will ever penetrate. Upon the top, a very nice thick, rich looking tan-brown head.

Aroma is chocolate laced with semi-sweet condensed milk, coconut, nuts, bittersweet chocolate, and just a touch of tartness from hops or yeast. Very pleasant, although there is one very hidden off-putting aroma that I can't identify. Maybe I'm trying too hard.

Flavor is bittersweet chocolate (not sweet enough in my opinion) and toffee-malt. I lose the coconut and milk in the flavor, and the mild-moderate hop bite overlain with the chocolate just isn't right to me. My girlfriend really likes the taste of this, but I just don't get it.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, thick, and enjoyable. The flavor reduces the drinkability to me.

Overall, this is a decent beer, but the appeal of Young's beers in general eludes me.

10-06-2005 02:35:21 | More by Dukeofearl
TurdFurgison

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Presentation: Poured from a 1pt 0.9oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep black, can't see through it at all. Lightly colored tan head, made of very fine foam, maybe 1/4" thick.

Smell: Chocolate of course, maybe some coffee also in there.

Taste: Tastes like a pretty good stout. Stouts aren't my favorite style, but I like them once in a while. This one definitely is sweet and smooth, with nice chocolate in the aftertaste.

Notes: Bought for $2.50. Not bad at that price. I'll try it again I suppose, but there are other stouts higher up on the list.

10-02-2005 00:42:00 | More by TurdFurgison
Hop2it

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Edge of the Universe black. Put it up to the light and still nothing comes through. Solid creamy brown head. Smokey sweet chocolate smell, nice but linear/one-dimensional.

First sip: toasted. Second sip: toasted stout. Third sip: stout. I get the chocolate, but not in the milk-chocolate way I was expecting. After I let it warm up a bit the chocolate comes through stronger. It tastes good though, maybe chocolate is overstating it a bit, but a pleasure to drink.

It is silky smooth (yes, true to the label) and very sweet. I will definately try again.

09-30-2005 04:30:52 | More by Hop2it
battlekow

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -38%

I reviewed Young's Double Chocolate Stout once before, but I don't think I was ready to appreciate it at the time; however, now that I've delved more deeply into the world of stouts and porters, I think I'll give it another shot.

This is probably the best-looking beer I've ever had. It pours an almost opaque black that's capped by an extremely creamy chocolate-colored head. But the best part is the effect given by the carbonation as it's reabsorbed into the liquid: it looks like an hourglass, the brown bubbles "falling" down into the black abyss at the bottom of the glass.

Smells of coffee and chocolate, but not very strongly. Tastes and feels watery, like Guinness meets Newcastle. Very disappointing. Again, a very slight bit of coffee and chocolate, and a pleasant roasted bitterness, but there's just not a lot here.

Well, when I saw what it looked like, I was sure I was going to love it, but not so. Beautiful, thin, and boring--Young's Double Chocolate Stout would be popular in high school.

09-27-2005 20:41:30 | More by battlekow
Naes

3.83/5  rDev -5%

Pours black with a tall tan head that laces well
Its aroma is roasty and malty.
The flavor is not quite what I expected, judging by its name. It’s mostly of roasted malt, yet has bitter and sweet chocolate near the finish.
Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and is quite creamy.

Don’t be scared off by its name if you are not a fan of super sweet stouts. I passed this one up many times due to its name, but now I see the error that I had made by ignoring this one. Definitely worth checking out.

09-27-2005 02:00:36 | More by Naes
Enola

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer poured out a very dark brown. Not quite black but dark enough. It had a three finger head when poured with good retention. The mouthfeel is fairly good too. It has a little bite to it. Not as smooth as some beers but I would buy it again. The smell is sharp as well. I really like the thick, creamy head. The drinkability of this beer is somewhat decreased by the bite but overall I would recommend it to a dark beer type of person.

09-26-2005 12:50:51 | More by Enola
abcsofbeer

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured out a black as used motor oil color with a light brown, creamy head. There was very little lace left over. It appears to have ample carbonation. The bottle indicated a best b4 March 06.

The smell is like pumpernickel bread at first, followed by burnt malt and coffee beans. There is also something sweet in the smell too.

The taste is chewy toffee with a burnt malted flavor and bitter chocolate. There is a slight aftertaste of hops. This stout is very good.

09-24-2005 00:41:01 | More by abcsofbeer
AltBock

14.9 floz. nitro can

Appearance: When it was first poured, it was black on top and brown on the bottom. When it settled it went with the jet black color with a small amount of ruby highlights. It had a creamy tan colored head of foam the measured somewhere between 1 to 2 inches that left lots of lace. When first poured, I also saw the carbonation bubbles pop on top of the foam. A true delight!
Smell: It had an aroma of sweet dark chocolate, little caramel, and some burnt coffee. It smelled like it says on the can, double chocolate.
Taste: It had a pleasant taste of dark chocolate, malt, and some roasted coffee beans. If you like coffee with chocolate in it, this your beer.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and with a dry roasted coffee aftertaste. This beer gets better when it warms up.
Drinkability: A wonderful milk/sweet stout that you can drink all day, due to the low alcohol content. The price was also reasonable at a little less than $2 for a 14.9 oz can of this delicious beer.

09-22-2005 20:42:53 | More by AltBock
jaluria

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a dark, opaque color with a lighter head and good retention. I detect aromas of different varieties of chocolate and cocoa. Very pleasing. My first taste is a blast of chocolate and expresso. As the brew warms, the other characteristics become apparent; a slight nutty flavor with more distinct coffee undertones. I get a rich, bitter-sweet aftertaste that leaves me wanting more. The lower alcohol content for this beer prevents the 'warming' sensation typical of this style. Overall, a very good beer with reasonable complexity and a taste that can be overpowering at times, that's why I'm not scoring it as high in the taste department.

Serving type: can

09-21-2005 20:15:41 | More by jaluria
Fugazme

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Best Before 2/06

Very black beer with a thick, creamy tan head about 3/4" thick...

Sticks great to the glass. Good lacing.

A very nice looking beer with a good combo of large and small bubbles.

Super aroma. Chocolate, maple, hops, dark roast coffee, caramel.

Great dark chocolate flavor. A touch of hops. Dry finish. A thick beer. Had a touch of raspberry.

Overall very good.

09-20-2005 05:08:07 | More by Fugazme
Troyone

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a dark off black color with an amber hue, has a creamy biege head, and no carb action.

Has a sweet caramel malt smell with a resin and orange hops aroma.

Lightly/moderately sweet/acidic/bitter, milk chocolate, and caramel malt taste with some coffee and a resin and orange hops flavor.

Medium bodied, dry and creamy texture, no carbonation, and a smooth slightly metallic/astringent finish.

Very balanced for a nitro and seems some what light for the nomenclature however has a balanced finish and good for a session.

09-19-2005 03:00:47 | More by Troyone
malty

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours black with dark ruby edges. Dense beige head settles to a solid 1/2".

Sweet milk chocolate pudding. Dark roasted malts with a bitter twinge. Dominant chocolate notes once again.

Sweet milky chocolate (catch the trend?) with a faint bitter finish. Not much roastedness comes through in the layers of chocolate flavors. There is a nicely appointed semi-dryness to cap things off.

Mouthfeel is a little thin but still very creamy and lush nonetheless. Medium body with a long, lingering finish.

Drinkability is good. I wouldn't mind having a couple of these, but I believe the sweetness might become a tad bit too much.

Overall a very flavorful and definitely chocolaty stout. There are no coffee flavors (maybe mocha latte) in this stout, just layers upon layers of chocolate. I remember having this on tap a couple years ago and liking it more than this nitro can.

09-11-2005 19:19:48 | More by malty
bubrewer

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

16.9 oz crown top bottle. Best before 8/05; sampled in 9/05.

Impressions start with the bottle, and this one feels heavy and solid. As a homebrewer I'm glad to have it for refilling later. I'm a puzzled, however, by the CAMRA logo on the neck - as far as I can tell, this is not a bottle conditioned beer, and I thought fermentation in the serving vessel was a requirement of CAMRA.

That's enough rabbit chasing - what about the beer?

There is no nitro-widget in this bottle, so it is delivered as yeast intended. The tan head hangs on like mousse and is creamy and smooth all by itself.

Creamy, coating mouthfeel is delightful. The taste first reminds me of a chocolate covered coffee bean. Roast malt shows up next as sort of a coarse bitterness, but it balances so wonderfully with the sweetness of this beer. I'm sure there are hops in this beer somewhere, but to my palate, they are overshadowed by the dark malt and dark chocolate.

Although the bottle lists this at 5.2% ABV, it drinks a little bigger. There is a slight pleasant alcohol warming that I usually only notice in bigger beers.

Although I think my words are not capturing the moment very well, this is a really great beer that would be welcome in my kegerator any time. well, more so in the fall and winter, I think. It is a little rich and thick for the Florida summer.

09-07-2005 03:19:10 | More by bubrewer
neonbrown82

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

I've had this beer several times in the bottle and enjoyed it (though I have yet to review it), so I was interested in trying the nitro can variety. Ooooh, that sound. Cracks open with a Star Trek airlock door hiss followed by a nitro released whistle. Bad ass.

The beer pours with a great creamy chocolate head due to the nitro. I love watching the nitro separate out into the espresso looking foam. The beer itself is a nearly opaque black. Looks great.

The smell suffers a bit from the nitro, it seems. Smells very mild, but has a light chocolatey malt character. Smells like a Guiness Extra Stout or a Newcastle, almost.

The taste like cocoa. The nitro seems to affect the taste negatively until well after the pouring, particularly until the beer begins to warm up a bit. When the nitro is still fresh, the beer can be held in the mouth yet not tasted until the swallow. As it finally warms, however, it is rich and sweet.

The mouthfeel is very velvety and rich. Leaves a foam on the upper lip with each tip of the glass. Becomes less creamy and velvety as the nitro dissapates.

A good drinkable stout. I prefer it in the bottle, but the nitro is an interesting change of pace.

09-03-2005 06:33:04 | More by neonbrown82
EmoBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

This wonderful beer has been my beer of choice for the past month or so. I hated the idea of nitro stouts after too many bland, off Guinesses. This has restored my faith and must be what Ireland was after when they came up with the idea.

The fullness of the malts along with the ridiculous cream and the finishing sweetness make this beer a truly satisfying yet strangely drinkable beer.

Recommened, and readily availble.

09-02-2005 02:48:57 | More by EmoBeerGuy
Melchizedek

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Beautiful stout, opaque black with a nice lingering half-inch head, heavy lacing down the sides of the glass. Smell is mellow but rich, with roasty, coffee-chocolate aromas coming through.

This is wonderful in the mouth, with a smooth-as-silk, creamy texture. The taste is layered, with a bit of up-front sweetness and alcohol over a strong roasted-grain background, creating an overall impression of a strong coffee with a shot of dark chocolate. Finishes much drier, with a perfect lingering bitterness again reminiscent of good coffee--it makes the mouth water for more. I was sad to see the last of this go down.

09-01-2005 02:46:34 | More by Melchizedek
Caesar1pup

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Outstanding! The aroma of roasted grain and chocolate say hello as you happily pour this black, creamy, tan headed, outstanding stout into your glass. Extremely smooth and chewy with a nice sweet malt flavor. I would highly recommend this but I do believe Rogue has them beat….barely.

This is one that I will definitely go back to when I am in the mood for a chocolate stout and after trying this, that may be more often than I have in the past!

08-28-2005 19:50:31 | More by Caesar1pup
nickss

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a deep deep dark brown (near black) with a large puffy tan head.

Aroma gives hints of chocolate, not as much as I remembered. A hefty bit of malt, with a bit of berries on the tail end.

Strong mocha bitterness in the taste... lots and lots of chocolatey yumminess in this one.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, but I was hoping for a bit more creaminess here.

All in all, quite inoffensive and drinkable, but I'll stick with the Choc. from Rogue.... a bit more complex IMO.

08-25-2005 20:17:46 | More by nickss
dirtylou

Washington

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

appearance: There really isnt anything much better than the pour from a nitro can, drinking this out of a bottle is borderline disrespectful. Pours dark black with a perfect creamy tan head that is thick as hell and long lasting. Its just glorious looking.

smell: quite sweet and creamy smelling, nothing terribly over the top but perhaps the great layer of foam is obstructive

taste: chocolate chip cookie cake was the first thing that came to mind. sweet creamy and downright tasty.

mouthfeel: thick and creamy, just the way I like it

I forgot how good these things were from the nitro-can

08-22-2005 03:05:30 | More by dirtylou
mattcrill

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Presentation: Label states that it's "best by" 1/06.

Appearance: Pours black as night with a perfect two finger creamy and sudsy tan head.

Smell: Dried cheeries, cocoa powder, musty, earthy roasted barley. Creamed coffee and chocolate syrup on the nose with some agitation.

Taste: Cocoa powder, hazelnut, light roasted coffee, and a touch of heavy whipping cream. Nicely blended and maybe a little light on the flavor. Finishes with a powdery sweetness. Somewhat porter like in terms of it's heavy handedness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with just a touch of carbonation to keep it lively on the palate.

Drinkability: Perfectly poundable. Not too heavy but a nicely done beer. A good cross-over beer. Recommended.

08-20-2005 00:41:31 | More by mattcrill
silver0rlead

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour reveals very impressive cascading effect, to form a thick tan head that sticks like nothing else, and a nearly opaque black body...definately a beauty. Aroma reveals subtle hints of unsweetened dark chocolate, roasted malt and a slight hops presence. The taste is a lot blander than i remember, it may be the can or this sample may be old, but this is watered down and not as chocolatey as i remember it. Taste begins with a light cocoa powder taste, followed by a slightly roasted barley flavor and a clean and lightly bitter roasted finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth with low carbonation.

08-16-2005 01:25:34 | More by silver0rlead