Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours dark brown/black into a mug. Takes a while for the nitrogen bubbles to move to the top of the beer, but when they do, a super-fine one-finger head settles. The head also sticks around for the duration. Good clingy lace on the glass as well.

Smell is sweetness: a little malt and a lot of chocolate. Smells like cocoa powder. Taste is roasted malt and then the sweet chocolate takes over. No dark chocolate/bitterness is present. It's all sweet milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel is really my only complaint about this beer. Very, very watery on the palate. However, it does have a milkshake-like finish to offset the thinness. Drinkability is way high. A cold winter night with 3 or 4 of these before bed would be awesome.

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a: Head is a light brown. Beer is a dark brown. It looks like a dark choclate with brown cream on top.

s: Cocoa I get but not much else for me.

t: Very Nice not to sweet like I expected

m: Very Mild on the tongue and mouth

d: One bottle for the night is good for me. I tend to want to drink it to fast.

This is one of the better stouts I've tried to date, but I don't think I'd feel the same if I drank a bunch of them. Pours a black color with a nice thick tan head. Quite a bit of lacing on the glass too. Aroma is quite a bit of chocolate with a nice burned malt scent as well. It's a surprisingly smooth beer with chocolate, malts, and a nice roasted flavor in there. Slightly bitter and dry at finish.

4.24/5  rDev +5.5%

A-Good coloring...poured well. Nice darkness to it with a lighter tan foam.

S-Can smell the chocolate and caramels in it. Before every drink, I made sure I took in a big whiff to get the nice effect from it.

T-Was a little watery for my liking, but that could have been my fault...I used a frosted pint glass. I still tasted the chocolatiness of of it.

D-Definitely worth the buy. Plus the can is very pretty, or at least my kids think it is.

This has made me a very big supporter of Sweet Stouts or Stouts altogether. Go out and buy one or four today.

4.14/5  rDev +3%

a: cascading effect one would expect from a nitro can. Deep, dark brown/black body with a perfect creamy tan head that resembles a chocolate malt. Superb retention, the definition of lacing.

s: Sweet malt and cocoa powder.

t: mmmm...chocolate fix. Light roasted malt up front with sweet chocolate and mild hop bitterness.

m: mouthfeel is absolutely ideal. Smooth as can be and as creamy as a milkshake.

d: dessert in a can. a world-class sweet stout that delivers the chocolate in spades. This is one beer that deserves it's reputation. If it wasn't so chocolaty sweet I would drink it all day, but that's what makes it so good in the first place.

Poured black color with thick, tan colored head.
Nose was chocolate and roasted malts. Taste is a mix of roasted malt and sweet malt with dark chocolate and a creamy, vanilla note. Nice finish. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Nice choco stout but I have had better.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

When poured, this looked like a deep, rich brown. However once in glass, dark black. Dense, cratered, rocky head, that drops to a tight covering, leaving some attractive lacing.

Aroma is chocolate and a bit of a roasted scent, that I associate with porters.

Velvety chocolate coats my tongue. Very rich, and creamy. Also some of that roasted scent translates into more of a bittersweet taste. I don't notice much hops, but doesn't really detract from the taste. This one is not too sweet, the bitterness seems to come from the malt, but I could be misinterpreting that. A somewhat chalky taste on the finish is a little distracting, but not entirely unpleasant. I have tasted this beer a few times before, but this is the first time I've tasted any chocolate, I'm sure due to the fact that I quit smoking around a month ago. Way better than I remember it.

Mouthfeel is a little thin. Also the carbonation seems like if it was lower, the beer would only benefit.

I wouldn't drink more than one of these in a sitting, and probably won't drink one on its own anytime soon. I may try and pair this up with a desert, nothing with too much chocolate though, as that might be a bit of overkill.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

POurs out a dark brew with dense nitro foam,,also has the cascades. Actually its a black beer. Smells of mostly espresso with hints of chocolate. Taste,,wow ,this is a good beer!Roasted barley,,slightly sweet,,hints of espresso and chocolate all come together really well. My only complaint is the mouthfeel is kinda watery. Besides that this is a kick ass brew.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a five finger light brown head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Totally black color. Light carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Malty nose. Flavor is sweet milk chocolate, you can taste the "real dark chocolate" the brewer puts in; smooth finish, very drinkable. $4.10 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Another beer with a purple label!!! (Inside joke that no one will get. Sorry.) This beer pours with a nice tan head with many larger bubbles. The coloring is a really dark brown, closer to black. You cannot see through this beer. Good sign.

The aroma is strong with chocolate. There is a malty scent, with vanilla and mocha. No hop scent is immediately available.

Obviously, tons of chocolate on the taste. Chocolate (dark) on the initial taste, not even mellowing as the flavor goes on. Also, maple, vanilla and butterscotch are there as well. Very malty flavor.

The mouthfeel is the only detractor. It feels overly fizzy and lacking of body for being such a dark beer. Better than most, just surprising for this type of beer.

Overall, it is a great drink. It's pretty widely available for me here in Indy, so bottoms up.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Dark chocolate brown color with a nice head.

S - You can pinpoint the chocolate smell mixed with a little malt.

T - A chocolate taste almost turning to a coffee taste...which is not a bad thing.

M - Smooth and creamy. Wonderful!

D - I love drinking one of these at the end of an excellent dinner, but a stout is too heavy for me to have more than two.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours dark brown/tan but settles to a dark black once the massive beige cascading ends. Upon pouring you can expect even an inch of beige foaming head with some lacing that will quickly settle.

Smell: A sweet roasted chocolate smell with a hint of bitterness to help balance things.

Taste: Rich, sweet chocolate throughout, a bit of roasted coffee and bitterness toward the end balances out the sweetness of the chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, minimal carbonation, smooth, soft. Maybe a bit watery at times, especially after its warmed up a bit.

Drinkability: This is more like a session beer for me, with how creamy/rich it is I don't sit and chugs these. At the same time, I think it gets a bit watery/more bitter as it warms and I don't care too much for that either. It's a good one to drink cold, but you can only have a few. Filling.

Note:
I have this brew on tap, in bottle, and in nitro can.
I'd rank my preference from most to least as tap, nitro can, then bottle.

On tap you get what this beer was intended to be, and I think pretty close to what you get from the nitro can. Bottle is good, I actually think there's a bit more of the chocolate taste but it heavily lacks on the creamy mouthfeel/smoothness. The beer is much more watery from a bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Dark brown colored ale that has thick creamy foam head that fades to half an inch.Aroma is malt and chocolate.Taste is cream and sweet chocolate.This is probably the best brew I've had in years.It is creamy and smooth as silk.I'm glad I got a four pack of these they'll all be gone tonight.Excellent!!

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Paid $2.69 for a 16.9 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Split this bottle with my girlfriend by pouring into two pint glasses.

Inch and a half tan/brown head after a fairly aggressive pour. Head dissipates quickly. Decent lacing that lasts.

Smell is sweet, malty and chocolaty as expected, but there are hints of hops to balance this package out. Not a very strong aroma for a stout, but what is there is very pleasant.

The chocolate tones become much more prevalent in the mouth. Very sweet and malty. Hops that I smelled I cannot detect in the taste.

Very easy to drink. Creamy and smooth. Medium body. Minimal carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: The head was weak and dissipated fast.

Smell: The smell was great, chocolate and something else...

Taste: The taste was not as sweet as I remember but still sweet and smooth, lots of chocolate flavor and chocolate malt. Burnt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Decent.

Drinkability: I wouldn't drink this one too often with so many other choices, what a spoiled dork I've become. That said it's definitely in the rotation and will be a good introductory beer for sure.

This beer pours very dark nearly opaque with a 1 finger tan head. The smell is chocolate, malts and alcohol. The taste is smooth, very creamy with some chocolate flavor but nothing compared to rogue or ST. The malt flavor is very nice in this beer, and I don't get a taste of hops @ all. The mothfeel is nice and creamy my only complaint would be the dry feeling I get after I swallow, wierd for such a low abv beer. It is an easy drinking beer, just not something I could see myself drinking as a session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured black with a good sized tan head.

At first the smell was weak, but as it warmed a little, I smelled the toasted malts. As it warmed more, the dark chocolate came out. Went well with the beer. Not overwhelming.

The taste goes through a few phases. Starts with the toasted flavor, then a slight bitterness, which gives way to the ever so slight dark chocolate finish.

This beer is very smooth and, much to my enjoyment, not too overpowering with the added chocolate.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

This is a nice beer to have every once in a while. It's affordable and enjoyable, but nothing too outstanding.

A- Pours with a HUGE cascading head that settles to a nice brown frothy cap atop the black beer.

S- Very little comes through besides sweet chocolate. There's a very faint malty aroma.

T- Very sweet with chocolate and cream flavors. Not much else...

M- Very creamy without being heavy. Definately not a lot of carbonation going on.

D- It goes down easy, but it's almost a little too sweet.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance: 1 pint nitro-can pours black. Bubbles cascade from in the glass thanks to the nitro-tab (I love the way this looks, like a beer storm). Ultra fine tan head, that leaves legs as the beer is drunk.

Smell: Chocolate, dried fruit and yeast scents.

Taste: Chocolate taste, sweet and bitter chocolate, creamy notes from the head. Slight yeast notes towards end of the sip. Bitter chocolate and coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel from the head. The beer feels a little watery. Leaves the mouth feeling clean. This is a very smooth beer.

Drinkability: This beer is super smooth. This is a great beer, especially for being so available, but it is not my favorite style. I would probably only have 1 a night, or split one with my girlfriend after I had an APA or 2, which is usually the case.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Even though I am not a big fan of stouts, my friend whom is just getting into beer loves 'em. So as I aim to please I picked up a 4pack of these...

A: Seriously looks so good. Pours like a yoohoo with mixed brown colorings during the pour but all mix to a super dark brew with a 2 inch rushing waterfall head. Looks awesome

S: Smells pretty good. Chocolaty obviously but it is pretty much all I can pull out of it

T: For a stout I personally think it tastes pretty good, but I still don't like em. Chocolate flavoring throughout.

M: Creamy without carbonation

D: Although this is probably one of the better stouts i have tried I still cant sit there and drink stouts. Comparatively to other stouts I give it a A- or B+ I guess, but Overall compared to everything else...

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

poured from a nitro can, figured that it would be beter from the can, i realy loved the pour and the seteling of the beer, i also liked the chocolate smell but i realy was disapointed when i tasted this one, it was thick and rich but sweater than i like, i will try this one in bottles and then diside if i like this one. still figuring it out?

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A unique stout bursting with dark malts and strong chocolate flavors. This is a well made beer. Pours nice and dark with a thick mahogany head. The aroma is pleasant, and it drinks extremely smooth. The chocolate flavor really hits you after you have swallowed which leads to a great stout experience. I was afraid that this one would be too sweet and chocolatey but the balance is perfect. Finally I can enjoy dessert with my beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Have had this before but never bothered with the tallboy can, thinking it might detract from the beer. Not so, and if you haven't had this go and buy it and drink it as soon as you get home (there's no need to literally drink and drive). Poured into my pint glass and received a thick, black body with a two-finger tan head that left a ring of lace down my glass the whole time. A good malt smell, mostly chocolate (of course). Extremely smooth and creamy, this has an immense chocolate flavor. If you have a sweet tooth then this will wet its whistle, as this beer is almost akin to a chocolate milkshake when it comes to the taste. Goes down with the chocolate riding the whole way as it sails over the tastebuds and down the throat. An excellent beer to either kickstart the night or for dessert, one is all you need to enjoy.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a heavy black with a murky brownish white head. By foamy head and some lacing. Mild aroma of black malts and some sweetness.

Flavor is a medley of dark roasted malts, a nice oat smoth moutfeel and a almost shocking sweetness. I jus about wanted to say cloying, but the astrinency from the dark malt and the firm hop bitterness brings balance to this stout. A nice chocolate finish adds well the sweetness of this ale.

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Brilliant cascading near-black brew with a nice milk-chocolate colored head with super-fine bubbles from the nitro. Amazing lacing left on the glass as you drink your way down. I can't think of any way to improve the appearance at all.

S: Chocolate with a little nutty smell.

T: Um, chocolate? Yeah, I think so. Mild sweetness with a subtle hop character to balance it out.

M: Creamy and milky. Goes down so smooth without being flat.

D: Despite being a heavier beer I could drink many of these and I find them relatively refreshing though probably not a great sit-outside-on-a-summer-day-brew.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd