Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

I get this at the Dekalb Farmer's Market in ATL.
Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: It pours a nice black, not opaque. Nice big brown head that slowly falters to a nice lacing.

S: Good smell. Chocolate, roasted malt, cream, caramel and milk.

T: Chocolate, cream and malt rounded out by a little bit of coffee bitterness on the after taste.

M: A little lighter/thinner than expected.

D: Alcohol is lower than expected and makes this a drinkable beer. It is sweet but not too (once again as the bottle claims). You can definitly drink this.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer is a experience. Appearance of a typical draught stout black with a fluffy chocolate cream head. Smell of dark chocolate, milk, light roasted malts. Taste is delicious chocolate malts fresh cream. Highly recommended beer nice beer to enjoy for dessert. Mouthful is smooth and creamy highly drinkable and recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a bottle into a stein. Makes a nice, thick head with staying power.
Deep, dark brown color with a lighter (and nicely creamy) brown head.
Smell is surprisingly a bit light - definitely chocolately, with some malt.
Taste is quite nice: very rich, sweet dark chocolate. Some hints of roast and coffee, too. Aftertaste is pure milk chocolate...yum!
Mouthfeel is a bit thin but it's sooo smooth.
Drinkability? Well, this is hands down the best stout I've tasted. Actually, I've never really liked stouts before (prefer ales and lagers) but this could easily become a staple for me.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

This is a yummy beer. I like the creaminess the nitro gives. I was not expecting to have as much chocolate flavor. Although I was kinda wishing for more. I've been told it is tasty with ice cream from the bottle. I will have to give it a try that way.

A- Espresso-like body and head

S-Milk chocolate front, almost creme de cacao

T-Milk chocolate front, slight hop kiss in the middle, nice alcoholic chocolate finish

M-smooth, full

D-When it comes to beers with chocolate, I think some people go with what kind of chocolate they like. This beer will probably not appeal to those who like dark chocolate. It just doesn't have that kind of flavor. But if you are a milk chocolate lover, I doubt there is anything else you would want than this.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Served at room temperature in a goblet. Freshness date reads "Best before: 8/31/08"

A: This sweet stout pours with a thick, dark beige head which sits on top of its dark black body. The head recedes slowly to a thin lace on top. There is some lace left on the sides of the glass.

S: Instantly there is the smell of chocolate. The roasted malt smell is there, giving off hints of coffee and toffee. There is a very faint hop smell after the first few sips.

T: The taste is delicious! Very much like a chocolate milkshake. The taste is very present and powerful. It is sweet, but "never too sweet" as the label reads. Indeed, it is balanced by a light bitterness. The hop flavor is really in the background, but it always keeps the sweet in check.

M: Unbelievably smooth. Very creamy. I couldn't think of anything better for this style.

D: The relatively low ABV and the delicious taste make this beer very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 16.9oz bottle into a nonic slightly chilled. The shape of the bottle is ergonomic and eyecatching I like the new packaging.

A - A rapid cascade of medium brown gets swallowed up by dark cocoa brown and the result is a head of about 2 fingers that has a pillowy top and leaves ringlets of mocha foam lace.

S - The aroma is both sweet + mineral, yeasty and malty w/ a pronounced cocoa puff like sweet odor w/ a hint of pine scented hops.

M - A velvety smooth yet sweet cocoa powdery luxuriously soft feel.The carbonation never overhwelms the chocolate and dark roasted malt . Luscious fullness and there is enough hop to support the sweet and roasted feel left on the tongue w/ a slightly nutty bean texture.

T - Light Fruity taste w/ cereal-like chocolate malt and cocoa w/ a brownie nutty taste blended well w/ woody notes of English hops. As it warms the black malt comes forward and the overall flavor is only a slight chalky/burned light char quality w/ cocoa riding out until the finish. It is very much as the label suggests - Chocolate + stout.

D - A rich beer for the 5.2% it contains. This has excellent potential for drinkability like sessionable stouts, not just as a dessert but as something not overly sweet I could drink a pitcher of this ale. This is world class and the blend of chocolate is really well done. Deserves the reputation as one of the best chocolate beers out there.

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a deep black with beautiful ripples out of the nitro can. Huge creamy tan head that stays for the entire glass as well as some amazing lace. Smell is dark chocolate. Taste is a malty dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is amazing. Smooth, creamy, would love to try this on tap. The drinkabilty is scary, downed two cans in about 30 minutes and could keep that pace going for some time. To bad its 9.99 for a four pack of 14.9 ounce cans, but no doubt its worth the money, at least for special occasions.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

This is one excellent chocolate stout.

A: Quite nice when I poured some out into a glass. It has a natural turbidity that caught my eye right away.

S: Lots of chocolate, malt, and some hops. Very inviting indeed.

T: Wow!! Lots of chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate! Ths chocolate malts are very dominant, with a nice hint of hops to balance out the sweetness. I love this taste.

M: A little thin, but the taste more than makes up for it.

D: If you like chocolate, this is your brew. I like chocolate, but I can only stand so much.

I HIGHLY recommend this brew to anyone who likes chocolate. I know I do!

Prost!

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours close to black with a big tan head, leaving sticky lacing on the glass and falling to a ring soon after the pour. Smell is light and subdued. Sweet maltiness abound. Taste brings the chocolate to the table. It's pretty good. Sweet, a hint of dark chocolate, but mostly sweet and rich. A touch of bitterness but just a touch. Nothing too complicated but it's pretty good. Mouthfeel is a bit lighter in body and thinner than most but if you're considering as an English version, it's fine. Decent drinkability but not something I'm looking to try often. Just not quite what I'm wanting in a Stout of any sort.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

well, i did this twice... summary... good choco smell. good pour with nice body. good carbonatation good lacing. very good mouth feel. this is sweet and i am a hop head so when i say it is good. a good choco ale. take that into all accounts

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

A - Pours pitch black with a ridiculous solid head. I can turn this upside down and it wouldn't fall out.

S - Big molassesy aromas, nutmeg, cloves, caramel and chocolate.

T/M - Quite dry actually, with an astringent touch. Spicy/herbal with light chocolateyness and some espresso. Not as flavourful as expected though.

D - It's ok. Probably, it's more good than mediocre, but still a little lacking - A little light in body and a little light in flavour. The clovey-ness is intriguing though.

2.65/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance
Big and black, with a thick creamy, tan head. Reduces fairly quickly to a moderate film of bubbles.

Smell
Not a strong aroma, but some toasted malts coming off it. Surprisingly very little chocolate.

Taste & Mouthfeel
Good roasted flavor up front accented by a nice level of carbonation. Bad coppery aftertaste though. Mouthfeel is medium to light. Not a strong level of chocolate flavor, which is really disappointing. I really can't get past the unpleasant aftertaste with this beer. I like it when it's in my mouth, but not after I swallow it.

Overall
As the beer warmed, it became smoother and more drinkable. But overall, I was really unimpressed with this beer. I would definitely give it another try and hope that this bottle was just a bad example.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours opaque black with a thick, dark tan rocky head. Bit of thin lacing sticks around.

Smell is malty chocolate, sweet coffee and a bit of alcohol.

Taste is thin and malty, bittersweet chocolate with very little hop presence. Sweet, dry finish lingers. As it warmed, it became a bit more dry and almost a bit sour.

Thin mouthfeel, little to no carbonation. A bit watery, I felt like it was lacking some complexity. I'd say it's worth a try, a little too sweet for me, but it is decently drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Opaque black with a huge uneven coffee colored head. Retention is excellent with thick, sticky lacing all the way down.

Sweet & roasty aroma with chocolate notes and some spicy hops in the background.

Starts with a big roasted, almost burnt, malt flavor that mellows into a chocolatey sweetness that hangs on through the finish. Balanced by a coffee-like bitterness that comes more from the heavily roasted malts than the hops.

Full bodied and smooth. Nice carbonoation.

More bitter and burnt than you'd expect from a milk stout, but still nicely balanced and very drinkable, especially when enjoyed with the dark chocolate truffles I busted out with my second pour.

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is what would happen if Guinness and chocolate milk had a child. Served in a pint glass from a nitro-can, the first thing that strikes the drinker is the thick, chocolaty pour. The smell parallels the chocolate character of the pint. Excellent mouth feel...smooth, creamy, very little carbonation. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is an excellent dessert beer that I can't see myself getting sick of.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Deep brown body with edges of tan. Reasonable beige-brown head of rocky, coarse bubbled foam, fed by a rather large amount of carbonation. Head sits down after a while to merely a collar of bubbles. It's not a magnificent looking stout out of a bottle - no doubt a nitro-can widget might help this.

Dark cocoa and powdered sugar on the nose, very sweet and aromatic. The chocolate character is definitely most noticeable, and it's really very good. Dry and dusty, but sweet - so sweet. Delicious.

Taste is also very good. Rich, toasted entry swooping down to a sweet, chocolatey back palate. Dark cocoa powder again, hints of condensed milk and a wonderful sticky kind of smoothness in the mouth. (Does this have oats in it? It does!)

What a great beer! Genuinely pleasant, sweet and rich. It may not look like a magnificent stout, but that's certainly what it is. Maybe milder than the riproarin'est stout you can get, but this is a supremely drinkable brew that I'll be seeking out again for sure.

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation - Beautiful 16.9 oz bottle. The label doesn't matter if the beer is good, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Appearance - Dark black with just a little head - this is probably because I didn't have a glass large enough for the whole bottle (16.9 oz). Thin layer sticks around the whole way through with some lacing

Smell - The aroma is that of a typical stout. It smells good, but not really any different than most stouts.

Taste - Chocolate. Double chocolate. The name is what it is. Some coffee notes but mostly chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Very creamy and rich.

Drinkability - I could drink a few of these, though the richness would be enough to limit me. I'll certainly be coming back to this one when I can afford it again or when I'm in the UK.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

CAN you dig it?

The pressurized can gave off a hissing, wheezing noise when I cracked the seal, causing me to give off a hissing, wheezing laugh. The cascade was not as pronounced as in some of the lighter-colored beers that I have tried of late, but it could still be seen as it occurred. It settled into a thick, deep-tan head like the top of a milkshake. The beer itself was a deep, dark brown with cola highlights. The nose was very chocolaty. The first sip that I took filled my mouth with a milk chocolate taste along with a powdery feeling, like I had inhaled Quik or something like that. The mouthfeel was thin, but the chocolate taste was amazing! The finish was also deeply chocolaty and I wished that I had a dessert to accompany this beer. This was quite good.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

It was a dark black with a light tan head that lasted for pretty much the entire time. It laced well.
The smell was very surprising for me, it is "chocolate" as I've heard so much about this beer. In fact it smelled a lot of chocolate.
I tasted a toasty malt, and a slight hint of chocolate, a little bit of sweet and finished smoothly.
I feel like I could drink this often, and wouldn't mind making this my regular stout of choice.
Great Beer, only ashamed I waited so long to try it.

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Here we go - my first sweet stout. Found this at a Kingston, Ontario LCBO. I had never seen this before so I snapped it up. 5.20% abv, 500mL bottle. Best before 31/01/09. Cellar temp - it will warm up quite a bit over the course of the drink though. Into a wine glass it goes.

Big creamy tan head. A few bubbles in it to remind you it isn't a nitro pour. Yep, perfectly black. Nice. Lace on the glass. No complaints here.

Nose is a little too restrained right now - probably too cold. Less chocolate and more grain - sour oats. Toffeeish pale malt. Espresso out back. No scores to this yet until it is nice and warm. Dark fruit coming up. Getting a bit more herbal now - roasty smoke too (time for a sip). A bit metallic. A little funk comes out too. Definitely note the chocolate now - it is a bit powerdery and cheap though.

Hits the tongue with milk chocolate. Palate is complex! Wow. Oats mixed effortlessly with chocolate and coffee - a lot of sourness on the sides of the tongue. Aspirated it gets quite chocolately, like a candy bar. Finish is more dark chocolate, coffee and mouth drying. Smoke comes out too. Chocolate, chocolate, I want more chocolate! Needs a bit more punch for me to love it - feel is a bit watery for something called a 'Double Chocolate Stout'.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical here. I could drink this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a very opaque black, with brown sugar-coloured head. The head is quite substantial, lasting for nearly the whole glass and leaving lots of lace. The aroma is roasted malt, molasses, hot milk chocolate powder. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and thick, but a bit dry and chalky as well. The taste is unsweetened chocolate bitterness at the back (funny enough, a bit like eating a mouthfeel of cocoa powder), with a slight kick of fancy molasses. I find it somewhat astringent. The aftertaste is pretty well the same as the aftertaste from eating darker milk chocolate. Let me stress that this is more milk chocolate than dark chocolate despite the bitterness. I find this stout well-rounded and robust. I'd have this again without argument.

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Black as fuck; nice 2 cm head.

S: Chocolate! Loads and loads of Chocolate, but there are hints of coffee with it.

D: The beer is filled with malts which are chocolatey and coffee-ie. There is a slight bit of hops; however, the flavour isn't that complex, it's just very tasty.

M: Creamy with a bit of carbonation. It's thick, but a good thick.

D: I think it's a bit overwhelming, and after two, I was ready for another type of brew.

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance
Black pour with a great foamy tan head that's late to show up but arrives by storm.

Smell
Dark fruits and chocolate. A bit of dark roasted malt as well. Not terribly complex but intoxicating nonetheless.

Taste
DAMN! The first self proclaimed chocolate stout that honestly fits the bill. A bit of malt up front before quickly disappearing to bitter chocolate that sweetens progressively towards the finish. The aftertaste is milk chocolate all the way. A bit more complexity would be nice however.

Mouthfeel
Medium body with a bit of carbonation up front.

Drinkability
For a beer this rampant with chocolate it's surprisingly drinkable. I'm going to have to refill this bowl of butter pecan ice cream to finish this pint off.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

The aroma is roasted malt, molasses, hot milk chocolate powder.

The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and thick, but a bit dry and chalky as well.

I find this stout well-rounded and robust. I'd have this again without argument. One of the best I've had, and the best to come out of England (which wasn't all that tough, really, considering my vast disappointment after my trip through Kent).

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd