Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
gosurfobx

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a 14.9oz nitro can. Pours a dark brown color with a dense creamy off-white head. Has chocolate aromas. Taste is smooth and well rounded with hints of coffee, chocolate, sweet tones and with a slight hint of alcohol. Light in the mouth. Goes down good.

02-22-2006 04:53:27 | More by gosurfobx
kamiller

Missouri

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Presentation: 16.9 oz bottle

Appearance: Nice luxurious dark color with a 2 finger khaki colored head.

Smell: sweet with a hint of roastyness

Taste: a nice chocolate finish as expected, a hint of coffee as well

Mouthfeel: good, semi thick, not much carbonation, almost creamy

Drinkability: excellent, it is rich, but I could definitely drink a few of these.

02-19-2006 21:11:05 | More by kamiller
RoBotGod

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Excellent beer for the style. Huge dark, tan head on this one. Very heavy lace that followed. Only thing that really threw me off on this was the nose. Usually I get a ton of chocolate aroma, but on this one I didn’t really pull anything. The chocolate flavor is good and well balanced. I get more of a dark chocolate flavor, rather than the normal light brown.

02-12-2006 04:01:07 | More by RoBotGod
CDBeerDisappear

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Color is nearly opaque black with ruby highlights when held to a strong light. Produces a modest head of fine bubbled foam, lots of lacing.

S - Aroma is sweet dark and floral.

T - No sweetness here, flavor is predominantly bittersweet chocolate. Malt tastes almost burnt.

M - Somewhat thick mouthfeel with good carbonation and dry aftertaste.

D - If bitterness is what you are looking for this is it.

02-12-2006 02:47:27 | More by CDBeerDisappear
doppelmeup

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Beautiful three inch tall foamy head, light tan. Thick lacing on the glass as I drink it. I love watching the bubbles come up through the beer. Very dark, with hints of garnet coloring.

Smelled of cocoa, similar to a chocolate truffle. Slight notes of coffee.

As the name suggests, very chocolatey flavor. Again, like eating a dark chocolate truffle, only drinking it instead. Slightly bittersweet, very rich. My bottle is a little bit on the warm side, and I think it would be better if it were slightly colder. (Since it's a larger bottle,I'll chill the remainder and have it later.)

Very light carbonation. Thick, reminds me of a very thin chocolate milkshake. Nice finish, leaving the palate with hints of chocolate, as if you had had a dark chocolate Dove chocolate square.

I liked this a lot, but I don't think I could drink a lot of these in a row. It would be an excellent choice with dessert.

02-11-2006 00:47:45 | More by doppelmeup
Rezzin

4.18/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours a rich dark brown, almost black. Tan head.

S - Sweet chocolate, coffee, and even a little toasy/roasty? None if any aroma from the hops that I can tell.

T - Chocolate is definitely there. The taste is very well balanced from what I can tell. I'm not much of a stout drinker but this one makes me want to come back for more. Roasty/toasty sweetness with just enough chocolate without going overboard. Pretty good.

M - Smoothness that just covers every part of my tongue. Full bodied without being chewy or overly heavy. Little carbonation.

D - I decided to try this one after having Young's Oatmeal Stout. As mentioned earlier I'm not a big fan of stouts but after these two, I'm starting to have a change of heart. I guess I can thank Young & Co's Brewery for the eye opener! I would definitely buy this again.

02-10-2006 07:17:06 | More by Rezzin
hopsaplenty

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

16.9 oz. bottle. Best before October 06

Pours with a huge dimpled espresso colored head of small bubbles that are crackling loudly. The head slowly settles leaving long sheets of thick lacing. The color is a deep, dark black with some cordovan hues at the margins. Impenetrable. Rich cocoa powder and bitter chocolate dominate the smell along with some coffee and roasted notes as well. The flavor is dry cocoa powder and bitter chocolate, along with a modest maltiness underneath, but this is restrained. It is all about the chocolate flavors. It is not sweet, but rather a bit drying. Medium bodied with a light, prickly feeling on the tongue. This was enjoyable on its own.

Just for kicks I poured some over vanilla ice cream and the flavors complimented each other nicely.

02-09-2006 12:42:56 | More by hopsaplenty
PBRstreetgang

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Pours opaque black, with ruby highlights. The magic of nitrogeneration creates a super creamy, pale tan head that holds a half inch to the finish; lacing will coat the glass. Malto dextrin, roasted barely, and chocolate malt are strong in the nose, with a faint molasses aromas in the background. Sweet dextrin and a huge roasted flavor upfront, followed by a soft wave of unsweetened bakers chocolate. The aftertaste is a touch dry, with some creamy dextrins holding on, but lots of roasted bitterness that creates a good balance without any need for hops. The carbonation is flat, the body like whole milk, and the mouthfeel is very...very creamy. Some residual chocolate and dextrin sweetness is matched by roasted notes in the finish, but the drinkability still reaches session caliber.

02-09-2006 05:49:28 | More by PBRstreetgang
Hautacam

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Very dark brown..pours out as a foam, then settles into a head...great to watch, by the way....like curtains dropping. Drops to 1/2 in. and lasts throughout.
Smells of chocolate and malt...can't detect any alcohol.
Tastes pretty good..I'm not tasting much other than chocolate and malt. Slightly sweet but balanced with a little bitter from.... hops ?..malt ..?? too subtle for me to tell...doesn't change much with warming....it is good though.
Mouthfeel is really creamy , very smooth..not overly carbonated.
Pretty drinkable....but I probably would not want this with food.

02-07-2006 02:02:29 | More by Hautacam
geexploitation

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

This classic brew pours deep and dark -- almost black -- with a dark tan head. The heady aroma is composed mostly of chocolate and espresso, with no hop aroma. Not a lot of complexity there, but what is there is most delectable. The flavors get a little more complex. There's bitter chocolate, expectedly, and a ton of sweetness in the malt. This beer really sets up on the front of your tongue and stays there. Although there's not hop bitterness too offset the sweet flavors, there's plenty of malt bitterness that does the job perfectly. Overall, a smooth, tasty beer. Not for everyday consumption, but definitely a nice treat now and then.

02-06-2006 04:31:17 | More by geexploitation
maddamish

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

A milk chocolate brown in color. Minimal head that stays with the beer all the way to the bottom of the glass. This is one of the smoothest chocolate stouts I have had the pleasure of drinking. Absent of any bitterness, this beer is crossover friendly and palate pleasing. Tasting notes would include chocolate and a smooth malt presence that is never bitter.

Notes: An old standby by that I often pick up when I go to the store. I would recommend this to anyone who is a Guinness fan. They will never go back.

02-05-2006 10:14:25 | More by maddamish
EvilKeith

Alabama

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

1pt 0.9 US fl.oz. brown bottle- Best Before End: July 2006

Poured into the glass a dark brown, nearly pitch black. When held to the light I noted some ruby highlights. Capped with a foamy tan head that fades to sticky lace.

It smells like chocolate, who knew? Aside from the obvious chocolate there are also hints of coffee. As it warms a light hickory smokiness and hop spiciness is noted.

This is way drinkable. I must admit that allowing it to warm was a bit of a challenge. I will buy this again and recommend to others.

02-04-2006 04:15:26 | More by EvilKeith
bennetj17

Arizona

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours dark black, with a thin, dark tan head that quickly turns to film. The smell is mild. It is sweet with chocolate and coffee notes. The taste starts out like marshamallows, kind of dry, and then more coffee and chocolate flavor comes through. Slightly toasty. The mouthfeels is semi-thick, very smooth, with nice carbonation. Nothing exceptional about this brew, but it is so well-rounded that it is highly drinkable and recommended.

02-03-2006 18:19:28 | More by bennetj17
vanrassel

Alberta (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer poured a dark coffee colour — almost opaque. The head was tan, about one finger high and left thin lacing down the glass as I drank.

I could pick up hints of chocolate in the aroma and also a bit of coffee. The taste was more of the same: it started sweet, but I thought it finished with a bit of coffee bitterness. I agree with earlier comments that people shouldn't worry about this being too chocolatey.

This beer was a little more carbonated than I would have liked and I found it sitting quite heavily by the end. A nice beer, but a niche beer. If I wanted to sit around a quaff a few pints of stout, I'd have a hard time topping good ol' Guinness.

01-31-2006 03:02:32 | More by vanrassel
geetlord

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer poured an opaque black with a one-finger thick head. I could not detect any significant aroma. the taste was very delicate smooth and bittersweet, light overtones of chocolate. It was a pleasant stout but somewhat dissapointing in its depth of flavor. I found it remarkably similar to Guinness though with a more chocolaty overall flavor.

01-25-2006 01:19:35 | More by geetlord
scooter231

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Dark dark dark, opaque, even. Rich looking with a pretty head. Smells chocolatey and espresso-like with a hint of toastedness. A little lacking in my opinion. Taste is kind of watered down chocolate coffee with a shot of espresso. It's... okay. Tasty but not nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be. Mouthfeel is on the creamy side but too thin. A nice dessert beer, but... there are better ones out there.

01-23-2006 05:48:26 | More by scooter231
HugoGrim

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the 16.9 oz bottle into an imperial pint. Notched calander states it is best before March of 2006.

Jet black with very little ruby light poking through. Great looking burnt cream head, but it left quickly. I'd like to try this on draft or in a nitro can to see how it effects the head. Some nice lace develops down the glass.

Scent is roasted malts and dark chocolate. As it sits in the glass and warms a bit it opens up into a warmer milk chocolate/coco bean aroma. It's like the scent went from a truffle at first to the smell of the Hershey Chocolate factory after it had a moment to settle.

Bitter dark chocolate flavor. Quite smooth. Just a hint of black coffee... like a mocha espresso loaded with chocolate liquor. Aftertaste of a lighter chocolate... like coco. I am liking the balance of smooth, subtle sweetness of the chocolate malts and the harsh bitterness of the dark chocolate.

01-23-2006 01:04:27 | More by HugoGrim
atigerlife

Hawaii

3.9/5  rDev -3%

355 ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Freshness dated 10/29/05 [which is a few month ago].

Pours black with a large brown head that had good lasting power.

The aroma is dark chocolate with some roasted malts coming through. A slight woodie smell with sweetness throughout.

The taste is suprisingly mild. Definite chocolate with some slight hops bitterness. Some nuttiness. A smooth stout. Basically, tasted like a liquified brownie.

The mouthfeel was quite light and chewey. Overall, this was a nice brew that I could drink in moderation, not something I could sit around and drink all evening. Nice with chocolate or fruit dessert.

01-21-2006 18:37:23 | More by atigerlife
blackie

4.1/5  rDev +2%

appearance: Bubbles cascade upwards from the bottom of the glass to create a 1" khaki head with a meringue like consistency. Considerable lacing is left behind. The beer is a deep brown color.

smell: Lighter, mixed chocolate flavors are dominant. Just a touch of roast and no discernable hops.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is low, and the body on the heavy side of the medium range. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy.

taste: Flavors of chocolate dominate. Cocoa power, chocolate syrup, chocolate milk...however you put it, chocolate. Not to say that it is cloying, though, as there is enough roasted malt flavor and a light hop bitterness to provide some balance. The only thing I'd like to see is a little more complexity of flavor.

drinkability: easy, especially for a stout

Watery at times, could use a little more character in the aroma and taste.

01-19-2006 04:49:08 | More by blackie
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

smell: slight roasted smell, some faint chocolate
taste: bitter, dry, pure chocolate, blackberries and cherries. Not a lot of carbonation. I was surprised to find the taste of pure chocolate, but the taste did not blow me away. The expectation I had from this beer were higher.

01-18-2006 18:39:35 | More by Absumaster
hanco005

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

1pt.9 floz bottle poured into a pint glass on 1/7/06

A- deep, dark thick black color with 1 inch head, nice lacing that lasted the life of the beer

S- chocolate and coffee smell, a great malt combo

T- thick and somewhat chewy, chocolate and coffee flavors are strong, yet well balanced

M- rich and smooth, very powerful, takes over the sense of smell and taste the way a single malt scotch does.

D-would have another, but very filling…probably not more than 2.

This is the first chocolate stout I have tried. It is a wonderful brew!

01-18-2006 02:27:24 | More by hanco005
claytri

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer poured dark brown to black with a light brown head. The aroma is of dark bitter chocolate. The taste is quite amazingly chocolate, very much like a bitter chocolate drink, it also has a strong bitter chocolate aftertaste. The feel is heavy, smooth, and dry. This is quite an amazing beer, and I enjoyed it. However, this is one of those occaisional brews as the taste is something you have to be in the mood for.

01-18-2006 02:02:36 | More by claytri
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

I decided to pit my two favorite chocolate stouts (Young's + Rogue) against each other and see which came out on top.

The Rogue is better looking. This Young's has a lighter-colored head, more of a tan than Rogue's deep mocha. Young's is slightly transparent in the pour, although both beers are opague when held up to light.

The alcohol scent is pretty present in Young's, but fortunately there is a lot of other things going on there too. I smell sweet malt, roastiness, a bit of coffee.

The taste is so extremely smooth and well rounded. Truly a delight to drink. I dont taste much bitterness or hops. The only thing is, I dont know if I'd really agree with the "double" in the name. I taste more roastiness than anything.

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy. Seems low in carbonation as well (not a negative point).

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is an excellent beer and one of my favorite stouts, but I have to give 1st place to Rogue. Using real chocolate is the key that gives it the edge, I believe.

01-17-2006 21:49:06 | More by chOAKbarrell
porter17

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Poured from the tap, the rich dark head formed and then slowly settled. The head is extraordinarily thick and creamy in appearance, texture, and taste. I had to push through the head to get to the black richness beneath and found the familiar roasted goodness. At 5.2%, it is rather easy to drink. One would expect a heavier beer, given the color, but this is one great sessioner. The aroma was exceptionally clean and slightly toasty. This beer is simple and very good, much richer in flavor than other stouts. And the chocolate tastes are just out of this world. I could have easily had several of these at one sitting, despite the thickness and meal-like qualities. Overall, a very good beer.

01-17-2006 02:17:07 | More by porter17
musingmonkey

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. I'd wished to try it alongside of the Brooklyn offering, but that was not stocked when I purchased this.

A deep black upon pouring, with a 2 finger, almost brown and bubbly head that lasted well into the drink, leaving some thick lacing on the glass. A thing of beauty :)

Smell was roasted malt, a little coffee, but sweet, not burnt. All of these fragrances were rather subtle, and I suspected I'd chilled the stout a little too long. I think was confirmed by the taste.

Based on its name I was expecting some chocolately flavours to be readily apparant, but they were next to undetectable until about my 4th mouthful. This is a sweet, and smooth drink, the sweetness not quite balanced by some bitter, malty tastes. I must admit that as the beer warmed the flavours and complexities mounted. Yet, I felt a little let down by the time I'd finished.

Mouthfeel, however, was wonderful. It was creamy and very smooth, giving me no troubles in taking some hearty gulps.

I think I'm going to give this a second shot sometime soon, and go a little easier on the chill!

01-12-2006 17:48:53 | More by musingmonkey