Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

$8.99 a 4-pack at Bev World II; BB: 24 Feb 08

I love nitro. Sure, it's gives the beer an unnatural look & feel, & the sound of the widget dancing around has probably resulted in more then a few kids loosing their fingers, but so what. Nitro delivers.

As I pour this one out slow, I manage to get just about the whole 14.9oz inserted before the head takes off. Slow & steady, the insulating foam goes forth. Once it reaches the lip it stops like a well trained dog. Good doggie, here's some beernuts. :) *gurgle*

Being familiar with nitro, I play with the head, seeing what I can float atop it. ...and... Lego bricks don't float. So I plant myself on the couch while the tan suds settle.

Twenty five minutes later, I dive in. ... Yoo-hoo & brown sugar immediately come to mind. Something like vanilla & hazelnut (but a little more artificial) creeps into the background. I don't smell anything else.

The obvious thinness of it you notice immediately. I feel like I am in fact, drinking that skim milk, chocolate flavored drink we call Yoo-hoo. The paltry added creaminess from the nitro just reinforces the thought of how much I dislike lowfat milk.
On my third sip, I notice that artificial vanilla/nut mixture that doesn't sit totally well with me. The backend brings in a dark mixture of hot chocolate & stale coffee. Everything tastes very bland.

I could drink it again. Whether or not I'd pay for the so-called privilege is another question. :|

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

This was recommended to me after hearing the store owners replaced the Brookyln Brewery chocolate stout with this. As always was excited to try a new beer and was quite satisfied with the results.

Appearance was pretty good, definate look of a stout with a nice elegant creamy head to it.

Smell was great. To me it was the perfect combination of a rich chocolate and a nice full stout beer. I'd like to see a friends reaction making them smell it blindfolded..

Taste. I really liked it. It has taken me a while to build up a good taste for a stout beer and this was a major stepping stone for me. It will certainly make you appreciate a delicious beverage.

Mouthfeel was great, there was a slight bubbly sense to it and the richness it gave out was amazing and unique.

Drinkability was good for a late evening desert beer. It is perfect for letting friends try and good if you want something that you can savor for a while.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from bottle into mug. Pours virtually black but some mahogany highlights around rim of mug. Thick, very thick, mocha colored rocky head. Good retention and lacing. Smell is lackluster. Really not much here, some baking chocolate, very powdery, other than that there seems to be and off smell, almost yeast like. Taste was much better. Chocolate, as expected, is rich and full, almost syrup like. Some roasted grains and malt, but mainly chocolate. Somewhat bitter taste left in mouth. Thick and full mouthfeel, low carbonation. Overall a good beer once I got over the smell. I like the lower ABV, it makes this easily drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours an opaque black. The entire glass was one unsettled bit of stout that had to calm, which took a minute or two. Thick tan head. Nose is a mild chocolate with standard strong malt characteristics in the mix as well. Flavor is smooth with a subtle chocolate tone that lingers and gently caresses the palate. Feel is thick with a decent carbonation. It is drinkable, sure. But for a “double” chocolate stout, I am not blown away. I had this before in the bottle and wasn’t entirely wooed by it and wanted to give it another shot since I figured my palate might have not be en mature enough to appreciate. But yet again, I am just not getting it. I know this is an extremely popular brew, but am I missing something? I love stout, and especially chocolate ones, but this isn’t really doing anything for me at all.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours very creamy and thick, very black. A large cream head, tan colored, starts out about half an inch and stays thick throughout the pint.

Hard to smell past the cream top, could make out hints of coffee and chocolate (obvious) though.

Drinks very smooth, can't get past how smooth. Strong chocolate taste, not too bitter, slight coffee hint, but certainly the chocolate is the dominant flavor. Extremely sweet.

The creaminess of the stout stays in your mouth long after drinking with no unpleasant bitterness lurking about. Highly sweet, not for those who prefer a bitter stout.

Because it's so smooth, I could I drank it faster than I normally do with a stout, but because it's so rich and full, it's hard to drink more than one or two at a time.

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

This was a pretty strange beer... copped a single 16.09 oz can at wine and more in west orange... pours a very odd, opaque color with a huge frothy head seen in layers... dark - black... chocolate is definitely noticeable in the smell... thick, rich chocolate... taste was pretty bitter... not to my liking at all, with a bittersweet, cocoa-espresso finish that was too rich and thick to be truly enjoyable... a little plastic ball was in the can, I guess to shake up the chocolate... wouldn't want to drink more than a few sips of this... wasn't into this brew at all... Not recommended... Young's winter warmer was great but this one didn't do it for me...

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

When poured from can, mixing happened very quickly and settled into a nice thick head about 1/2 inch, which lasted until the beer was gone and stayed in the glass for a while. It had a very creamy looked and stuck to the sides of the glass. The beer is very dark with a slight reddish look when the light hits it right.

Very strong roasted coffee aroma.

The taste is unbelievable. It has a malted chocolate flavor with a slight hint of coffee flavor. I also pick up a little cream flavor towards the end, then a roasted malt aftertaste.

A very smooth and creamy texture that reminds me of chocolate milk.

This is the perfect beer to go a long with a slice of chocolate cake, which I had when I first tried it a few months ago.

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Nice deep brown color with a one finger reddish brown foam head. Lots of lacing all the way through the drink. The smell is a strong chocolate as is the taste. Good mouth feel and aftertaste, but overall not that impressed. The taste of chocolate is overbearing to the point it doesn't taste like a stout should taste.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

This is one of the quintessial dessert beers. I've had it with dessert, in dessert or as dessert. Love it!! The nitro can pours a wonderful tight creamy tan head a top a very dark brown inviting beer. The aroma is chocolate with a very slight roast charcter and some cream (lactose?) The flavors of lucious chocolate with a very slight bitterness and mild roast character are paired with ample residual sweetness. The velvety mouthfeel seductivley slips and slides around the mouth leaving behind some milk chocolate to enjoy later.

This is not a session beer or one that I would have a when I wanted a beer. It's a dessert beer and a fine one at that!!

2.45/5  rDev -39.1%

14.9 oz. nitro-can in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark color with a light tan head.

S - Strong chocolate smell.

T - Really thin with light flavor. Some chocolate undertones.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Not a fan. This is really watery and thin and the flavor is really light.

I had a couple of bottles of this while in the Youngs Dog & Bull pub, in Croydon, UK, after work.

It looked stunning poured into a Youngs ale glass in one of the nicest old london pubs Ive seen in three years of being here. The medium bubbly head was white/brown and settled nicely.
I've never had anything like it before. Incredible chocolate presence (tastes like cadburys) - but it still manages to be a stout somehow. Other notes are present in the taste, such as raisin and coconut. The drinkability is exceptional, I would have expected it to sit in your stomach. Nonetheless I probably would not have more than 2 of these in one sitting. The stout is very lightly carbonated. Ive also had to slightly reduce my rating to compensate for the novelty factor I was experiencing!

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Pint bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours super dark brown with ruby glints in it. It has two inches of deliciously delicate off-white foam on top with killer retention.

S: It smells primarily of chocolate, with subtle notes of raisins. There is also an oak-like aroma as well as an ever-so-slightly vinous quality.

T: It tastes like it smells, with dark chocolate being the primary taste. There are also faint notes of coffee, and, as it warms in my hand, a milky taste, which complements the chocolate and coffee very nicely. It is robust and smooth and sweet, but not overly so.

M: The mouthfeel is really the only thing about this beer that I have qualms with. It is really thin, and even worse, it's kind of tingly acidic.

D: The drinkability is awesome. It's not quite the most drinkable stout ever, but it's pretty close.

This is a very solid beer.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Night of the stouts at my dad's house...I contributed Oak Aged Yeti, he brought a Young's Double Chocolate to the table. Side note - last pour, I blended the Oak Aged Yeti with the Young's to create a vanilla-chocolate stout cocktail, and it was quite nice. I am also quite drunk. hehe I did try the Young's on its own first, though.

Poured into a wine glass. Head stuck around pretty well. Good lacing.

Smell - Not as chocolatey as I would have liked, but hardly bad. More coffee-ish than chocolate, I'd say.

Taste - Really nice, like a good mocha. Chocolate and dark roasted coffee flavors. Some hop rounds it out to balance.

Mouthfeel - Good pop, goes down easy. I can't complain.

Drinkability? Not difficult to drink this on its own. When you blend it with an Impy Stout, though, be prepared to get toasted.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Jet black beer, with very thick dark tan head. Gotta hand it to them, this looks like a solid beer. The head settles very slowly.

The scent is roasted sweetness - pretty much what you'd expect, except that there is less than I'd like.

I'll just say that I'm biased against stouts. The roasted flavors aren't my favorite. This one is my favorite so far.

First impressions -- incredibly smooth. Full bodied. Amazing mouthfeel, one of the best.

Tastes like slightly roasted malts, but not too drastic. Much better than most stouts. It's not overwhelming.

I've gotta say that for a "double chocolate" flavor, I don't taste a whole lot of chocolate. Not complaining really, just surprised.

Very strange thing to say, but this "milk stout" does in fact remind me of milk. It's almost the consistency of milk. And given its mellow taste and pleasant mouthfeel, it would be nice to have a glass of this before bed.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer poured a dark brown with a two-finger tan head. The smell is of some chocolate, of course. I also detect some roasted malts. The taste is nice and starts out with a hint of coffee and some roasted grains followed by a big creamy milk chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, and I was surprised by how drinkable this was for a rich beer. I can see myself picking it up again in the future.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

A - great. dark as hell with an amazing head that lasts to the bottom of the glass.

S - pretty good. mostly just chocolate but that's good enough for me

T - lovely, a lighter chocolate flavor at first and then towards the end of a drink and the finish is a more dark/bitter chocolate flavor. some minor coffee flavors also. the head that remains at the bottom i usually drink, is like delicious beer whipped cream. my buddy who has a keen tongue most times but isn't must of a beer drinker had a sip of this once and said "that tastes like a frappucino". ha.

M - simply put, it's creamy and light. nothing wrong with it at all.

D - depending who you are this could be pretty drinkable or not. even in spite of my liking this beer quite a bit i notice that at times it can be a bit much after the first couple of beers. but on the other hand i've had occasions where i could keep drinking it past several.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Opened nitro-can, poured into a pint glass.

Nice color. VERY dark and opaque 1/2" tan colored head held for quite a while... .. Excellent aromas of - you guessed, chocolate.

TAste is as expected. Chocolate and slight hops. A little bit of bitter aftertaste, but overwealming and disapears rather quickly.

NIce, full mouthfeel.Pretty pleasant drink.

Although I wouldn't consider this a favorite, I'm glad I bought the four pack.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

appearance - Color is black with a nice tannish head.

smell - Coffee, and chocolate smells.

taste - First instinct was this taste like a hersey milk chocolate bar. You can taste chocolate, and cofee notes here. Little bit of hops present.

mouthfeel - Full body.

drinkability - Nice beer, enjoyed this a lot. Have seen it around and gave in to try it. A must if you like chocolate or stouts.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle. Very dark pour, totally opaque. Huge head and good lacing. This stuff looks like motor oil.

Very chocolatey aroma with some coffee notes and something else dark in there. Nice smell.

Fairly good taste to this one. Not quite as sweet as I was expecting from the smell, but it was still nice. Very dark and smoky and burnt taste. I may have drank this too cold. A bit of a flat taste at the end, but I think it was just too cold.

Nice stout that I will definitely try again when it isn't so cold.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

I have to say that this stuff is absolutely awesome. It is like drinking a Starbucks mocha mixed with a fine stout. Two things that I love so much! It is very sweet with hints of grains mixed with malted chocolate. It is a beer that you really want to enjoy slowly from a nice pint glass. I wouldn't want any more than two of these in a sitting. Make sure it isn't too cold, because you won't taste all of the ingredients.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance - Pitch black with a huge, dense, tan-colored nitro head and lots of sticky lace. Head retention is remarkably good. Even amongst nitro beers, this one looks better than most.

Smell - The weak point of most nitro beers is the nose, and this one is no exception. Chocolate and burnt grains are faintly noticable but there are no subtleties at all here.

Taste - Milk chocolate, cream, molasses, coffee, burnt grains - a rich, complex and changing flavor. Slightly dry in the finish, with long-lasting dark chocolate and espresso notes.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a lot of richness and body provided by the head. Heavy on the palate.

Drinkability - An exceptional stout, but too rich to be a regular for me.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a pint glass.

Widget cans provide the best pours. Viscous pour capped off by a creamy, thick head. The appearance of these beers is a thing of beauty. Young's is no different. The smell is a nice mix of chocolate & roasted coffee with some slight fruitiness in the background. Taste follows with a nice sweet chocolate flavor that is extenuated by the coffee notes. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy - very nice for this style. This is an easy drinking stout. A perfect dessert beer. Highly recommended.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer is a good dark chocolate stout. It pours with a darker head than most beers, and is dark as expected. But this beer actually does smell and taste like chocolate as well. If you're looking for a beer to abuse, this isn't it. This is a beer to drink with dessert or if you want a good tasting beer.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a nitro-can into an imperial nonick pint glass.

The beer poured out a very dark brown with about a 1/3" creamy tan head that lasts all the way down the glass. The strongest smell is milk chocolate, with some caramel and just a hint of roastiness.

The taste is wonderful if you are a chocolate fan. I can taste both milk and dark chocolate flavors. There is just enough clean bitterness so that the beer is not overly sweet.

The mouthfeel has the illusion of fullness from all the creaminess in this beer, but it is thinner than you would expect. About medium.

I find this beer extremely drinkable and and enjoyable. You have to like chocolate to like this one.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

16.9 oz., 500 mL bottle, bought at my local Ralph's supermarket for $2.52,

A: Pours a very dark brown, with a thick tan head, which leaves really nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Robust chocolate smell, smells a lot like a freshly served piece of chocolate cake.

T: This is as close I've come to drinking a liquid chocolate bar. This beer literally tastes like a chocolate milkshake, though it does have the bitterness of a dark chocolate bar which I like. A little bit of coffee flavour is mixed in there as well, but it is minor.

M: A little to thin as a stout, pretty light-bodied, but very creamy, ultimately satisfying, but not great.

D: A very good tasty stout from Young's, I forgot how much I liked this one, haven't had it in a few months. A really tasty beer, any fan of chocolate will enjoy this.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd