Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Served from a brown 12oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass with a date of 26Jan06.

A: Very dark just the way you like your stouts to look. Nice
creamy head with lots of lace.

S: Cocoa and bittersweet chocolate with some alcohol notes.

T/M: The taste is almost the same as the smell but some kinda
wierd milk/lactic acid twang in the finish.

D: Very smooth and should appeal to those who might be afraid of
stouts.

jlh8643, Mar 24, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours black with a very creamy light chocolate brown head. Great retention and fantastic lacing. This a beauty!

Smell: From the moment I cracked the cap there is a fantastic dark chocolate aroma. I could appreciate a bit more aromatics but it is very good.

Taste: This is truly one of the most 'chocolaty' chocolate beers I have EVER had! Truly a work of art! It is not cloying in any way. It is remarkable easy. Roasted malts and hints of caramel and toasted butterscotch accompany the chocolate. Just a very subtle hop character keep the beer balanced.

Mouthfeel: Soo smooth and so creamy! It it thick and a bit chewy! A real treat.

Drinkability: This beer is so tasty ever single sip BEGS for more! I have had cases of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Even before BA I split a case of this beer with another BA friend of mine. At that time it was the best beer I had ever had. I must admit, I am now even more aware of just how amazing this beer really is. I highly recommend it!!!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 22, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Right, I am reviewing here, my favorite style. So admittedly I might be a bit biased. I am also generally a huge fan of Young's stouts anyway.

This one came from the can, which of course is not always as good as on tap. However, it has a great appearance. It has a nice dark color (as any stout should). And amazingly enough (sarcasm added) it has some what of a chocolate like color to it.

The smell: You can definitely pick up some milk scents and the usual stout malty scent. However, (again: surprise!) you do get a hint of Chocolate in there. The presence of Golding hops are also noticeable.

Taste: Fantastic. Not too much more to say about that. You pick up all the flavors. The hop flavors are nicely balanced and their bitterness is countered well with the chocolate. It has a slightly more dark chocolate taste than a milk chocolate. But, that should not be a surprise considering that Dark chocolate is more bitter.

Mouthfeel is really smooth. It is thick but also well rounded. Full bodied leaving nothing to be desired.

Very drinkable goes down easy and is very tasty.

jongillin, Mar 17, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

Updated review as of 3/15/2006:

A - Looks like nitro Guinness, with a darker head.

S - Chocolatey, sweet.

T - Sweet. Almost cloying, lately it's been fading to a heavy metallic taste. Never noticed it before, maybe it's the aluminum can.

M - Can't beat nitro for thickness. If that's what you like.

D - If it wasn't so sweet, you could drink them all night.

greggdogg, Mar 15, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured a dark black with a little ruby showing on the bottom edges. A thin lace layed on top, and for the most part disipated almost completly.

Smells delightful. Sweet and chocolate malt presents are strong. With a faint hint of coffee.

Chocolate upfront in the taste, followed by an acute burnt coffee aftertaste. Wasn't as great as I expected though.

I was a little dissapointed in the mouthfeel also. Thin and watery, and a bit too over-carbonated.

Meh, not really what I had expected. I personally wouldn't buy another bottle, but if the chance to try it on-tap arose, I probably would take it.

jayc333, Mar 14, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -30.3%

pours a 40% head, served around 55F. I am generally not impressed with how non-bottle-conditioned british products arrive across the pond, but this beer has high ratings and I am happy to try a stout with promise - check my reviews before this product.. My bias is thus divulged.

Nose is with notes of chocolate and a sour bitterness typical of across-the-pond beers. On this alone the beer is in trouble - sourness seems to work on british products in bottle but is not a native part of taste.

Taste is sweet with some hop sourness culminating in a roasted sweet finish. I am not impressed with this beer and am not sure why it is so highly rated. aftertaste covers some bases with roasted sweet chocolate notes but the beer unfortunately meets my expectations for what happens to a british product over a few months in the bottles without any yeast to help it along.l

Being honest, I poured it out. There are more interesting things here to taste than a sour stout which is no inspiration.

dogfooddog, Mar 13, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Served warm from a 500ml bottle.

A: Pours black with a big frothy head with some good lacing.

S: Not much smell from this. Aromas of milk chocolate and roasted malt.

T: Subdued flavors of dark chocolate and espresso with a mild saltiness on the sides of the tongue. Mild wine-like tannins in the finish. The flavor is very good, I just don't think that there is enough of it.

M: Lightly carbonated and with a medium body, the label advertises correctly: "Silky smooth" "Rich and creamy"

D: This is a good beer, but probably not one that I would make an effort to find. I've had this once mixed with a raspberry ale in the black and tan style, and it made a very good chocolate raspberry beer.

klewis, Mar 10, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a dark black with a half inch dark brown head that recedes but does not disappear until the beer is gone! It was full of a sweet chocolate aroma with the hint of bananas in there as well, very interesting. A very chocolaty taste that gives way to bitter malt after a little while in your mouth. After you swallow this bitterness is much more pronounced but not overbearing. This is a very smooth drink that would compliment a good chocolate desert after a hearty meal, or perhaps it could be the desert. I'll be looking to try this one again on tap. Give this one a try, enjoy!

eph, Mar 07, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

First tried this beer on tap. The nitro-tap does wonders for this beer. Gives it a wonderful tan head and an amazing cascade for a good 30 seconds. This is honestly the only beer I LIKE to drink BEFORE the head goes down any. Usually I'll wait for the head to go down some/all the way before drinking it...this beer...that's one of the best parts. Wonderful mouth feel, wonderful flavor with just a hint of chocolate...definately not overkill, one of my favorite beers.

Found the beer in a big specialty liquor story by my house in bottles a while back. I was really happy but I wondered if it would be the same out of a bottle. It wasn't. It was good, but it didn't have that wonderful head on it. I was sad. Not to mention the one bottle was...like...3 bucks or something like that.

THEN...I found cans of it just a week ago. I IMMEDIATELY grabbed them and gave the cans a light shake...I know cans sometimes get nitrogen infusers in them and this is what I was listening for...I was greeted by the marble-in-a-spraypaint-can sound I was looking for. 4 22oz cans (I think...maybe 20 oz...) was almost 9 bucks. Stuff's not cheap but it's so worth it. Pop the can, let it sit for a second, pour into your fav beer glass and enjoy. Just like out of the tap...just costs half as much.

All in all a great beer.

rmp5s, Mar 06, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Pint from tap at Old Chicago in Tucson.

Pours a deep black color with a very thick tan head that stays a few mm thick from the first sip to the last.

The smell is subtle but has some nice notes of coffee, mainly, plus a bit of a chocolate undertone. One first sniff one must wonder where the double is in this stout.

Taste...oh, there it is! Your tongue is enveloped in a fantastic velvet mouthfeel as pronounced flavors of chocolate flow over it. It is a bit of a mix of semi-sweet and milk chocolate flavors. Following that comes a subtle coffee-like bitterness that gives just enough balance to the chocolate tastes. This beer is so tasty and well balanced that I think I could start with a pint of this with my cereal in the morning and drink another and another, slowly, as the day rolled on by. I would be hard pressed to get tired of it.

Bottom line...I really enjoyed this beer. It would make a great desert on its own but begs to accompany some fresh berries.

UberWasser, Mar 06, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer never fails to impress. Its a lot better on draught than nitro-can but still when you get right down to tasting it---absolutely fabulous.

Pour is black and has some cascading effect from the nitro-thingey. It lvs some bubbles on top that would be considered a negative at a bar until you get right down into this.

Smell is dark mallt and bananna. There is some very pronounced chocolate but its supposed to be there too. Some metallic elements to the aroma which is causing a slight downgrade.

Taste is a lovely smooth blend of fine aromatic dark chocolate with some milky elements too as it should be for this style. A real fine example of the milk/sweet stout. It holds up well for a longtime too. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant. A fine beer---definitely recommended.

rousee, Mar 06, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

Yes, on nitro-tap. Fred's Rivertown Alehouse--I bow to you!

First, it took about 20 minutes to get the beer once they poured it...it was so thick.
Appearance: Nearly black with a gorgeous, thick tan head on it that extended beyond the top of the glass.
Smell: It hits you in the face--CHOCOLATE! To be honest, it was a reminiscent of a thickshake.
Taste: chocolate, sweet, rich barley. Amazing.
Mouthfeel: Silk, it was so pleasant compared to what I was expecting. You see such a head and appearance, you expect it to be heavy, but it was like drinking velvet.
Drinkability: Oh, man, I wish I had had another 20 minutes to wait for a second to be poured...I could have drank them all night.

ccs, Mar 05, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

This was a very nice pour, left a massive near two inch head in my pint glass, which lasted a long while. The beer is utterly opaque, a deep deep espresso brown. The huge tan head leaves lots of lacing as it slowly settles.

Smell (when properly warmed) is slightly metallic, with a hint of chlorine (yuk) along with roasted malts. It's a very sharp smell for a stout. Sweet cocoa and some yeast round it off.

If you like cocoa, you should love this one. Bittersweet chocolate malts stand out in the flavor, along with coffee and cream. Not overly complex, but what it does it does very well.

The mouthfeel is rich and tingly all over the tongue. It's got a nice roasted malt and chocolate aftertaste, and not at all sour as some stouts turn out. This is a rich, filling and creamy brew. Second to Rogue's Chocolate Stout this is the best I've had, but being as Young's is cheaper, I may just be drinking more of this....

kkipple, Mar 04, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Opaque black color with a small, fizzy tan head with good retention. Maybe it was just the bottle I got, but I could barely pick up an aroma off this beer. Very faint roasted malts. After being unsatisfied with the aroma, the taste came and saved the day, bringing the malts to the foreground. The flavor of chocolate and roasted barley malts coat the inside of your mouth and it all ends with a slight hop bitterness in the finish. Drinkable for a stout, but not my favorite so far. I would like to try it out of a nitro can, however, as I can see it's potential for being a different beast out of the can.

Jacobob10, Mar 03, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

There are certain beers that can follow up a hearty meat & potatoes meal like a rich slice of chocolate cake...this is one of those beers, and it does it's job well. Let's not get the wrong idea, we are not looking at a quasi-mocha, overly sweet latte replacement, but an easy to drink, versatile stout.

Upon the initial pour, you'll find a lightly tan, slightly foamy head (as opposed to the creamy texture of a pub's pour when you order a pint of the black stuff), resting on a black coffee base. It's a stout, and it looks like one, simple as that. The nose, if you will (and I will) actually does have a hint of sweet chocolate, laced with the aggressive use of Goldings and Fuggle hops. The taste is rich, yet the body is not overly thick, some better stouts of course, being a meal unto themselves, this one not to overbearing after a feast. Again, the hops presence shines through when drinking, but the bitterness commonly associated with a stout, seems to be generated more by a dark chocolate than anything else. Apparently the style isn't just a catchy name. The beer finishes just like it started, mildly hoppy and expressive.

If dark is your pleasure, than pleasured you will be. Unfortunately, as in most imports (especially from the UK), the bottle drank in the US, as opposed to one poured in downtown London, loses something in the translation, but is still well worth the price of admission...enjoy.

Greenfloyd, Mar 03, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BBD of Nov 06 on the bottle

Poured purplish/black with a 2 finger deep tan head, not much head rentention or lacing

Smell; Fruitiness, chocolate

Taste: Malt, yummy choclate, frutiness, sweetness& dryness on the finish

MF: Rich and silky, maybe a tad undercarbonated

Super drinkable. Great as session brew or with a bowl of spicy food or some dark choclate, highly recomended

russpowell, Mar 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a deep dark opaque black with a very luxurious looking thick, creamy tan head. Roasted maltiness in aroma with strong hints of chocolate as well. Tastes the same, except this time the roastiness takes a back seat to the chocolaty flavours. Extremely smooth and creamy. Drinkable? Thats quite an understatement. I can't get enough of this stuff and I've already had four cans. Good thing I bought two 4-pint can packs. Damned tasty brew!

bighoppymonster, Feb 26, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

Thanks to the nitro widget, this pours into my glass a velvety milk chocolate brown of cascading bubbles, after a few moments of settling, this becomes an opaque black with a very thick creamy light tan head. Some subtle toasty chocolate notes are present in the aroma, but not much else, no hops to speak of. Sweet milk chocolate flavor, mocha latte, smooth bittering with no hop flavors, sweet finish. Nice creamy mouthfeel, very smooth nitro-carbonation, medium bodied and leaves a light coat on the palate. I remember days where I would be excited to find this on tap at a local pub, its definitely lost the excitement factor as my palate has matured, however this is a nice throwback to the guinness days.

kmcnair, Feb 23, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured pitch black with a healthy, khaki-colored head. Smells of black malt and dark chocolate. Nothing too exciting. I'm not going to wax poetic about this beer: tastes like a tasty milk stout with chocolate added. with a finish of some noble hops Good enough for me. Mouthfeel is fairly silky, but with a combination so decadent as beer and chocolate, I hoped for a richer, chewier beer. One of these is good for a nightcap, but it's a bit filling to reach for another.

goochpunch, Feb 23, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a 14.9oz nitro can. Pours a dark brown color with a dense creamy off-white head. Has chocolate aromas. Taste is smooth and well rounded with hints of coffee, chocolate, sweet tones and with a slight hint of alcohol. Light in the mouth. Goes down good.

gosurfobx, Feb 22, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Presentation: 16.9 oz bottle

Appearance: Nice luxurious dark color with a 2 finger khaki colored head.

Smell: sweet with a hint of roastyness

Taste: a nice chocolate finish as expected, a hint of coffee as well

Mouthfeel: good, semi thick, not much carbonation, almost creamy

Drinkability: excellent, it is rich, but I could definitely drink a few of these.

kamiller, Feb 19, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Excellent beer for the style. Huge dark, tan head on this one. Very heavy lace that followed. Only thing that really threw me off on this was the nose. Usually I get a ton of chocolate aroma, but on this one I didn’t really pull anything. The chocolate flavor is good and well balanced. I get more of a dark chocolate flavor, rather than the normal light brown.

RoBotGod, Feb 12, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Color is nearly opaque black with ruby highlights when held to a strong light. Produces a modest head of fine bubbled foam, lots of lacing.

S - Aroma is sweet dark and floral.

T - No sweetness here, flavor is predominantly bittersweet chocolate. Malt tastes almost burnt.

M - Somewhat thick mouthfeel with good carbonation and dry aftertaste.

D - If bitterness is what you are looking for this is it.

CDBeerDisappear, Feb 12, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Beautiful three inch tall foamy head, light tan. Thick lacing on the glass as I drink it. I love watching the bubbles come up through the beer. Very dark, with hints of garnet coloring.

Smelled of cocoa, similar to a chocolate truffle. Slight notes of coffee.

As the name suggests, very chocolatey flavor. Again, like eating a dark chocolate truffle, only drinking it instead. Slightly bittersweet, very rich. My bottle is a little bit on the warm side, and I think it would be better if it were slightly colder. (Since it's a larger bottle,I'll chill the remainder and have it later.)

Very light carbonation. Thick, reminds me of a very thin chocolate milkshake. Nice finish, leaving the palate with hints of chocolate, as if you had had a dark chocolate Dove chocolate square.

I liked this a lot, but I don't think I could drink a lot of these in a row. It would be an excellent choice with dessert.

doppelmeup, Feb 11, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours a rich dark brown, almost black. Tan head.

S - Sweet chocolate, coffee, and even a little toasy/roasty? None if any aroma from the hops that I can tell.

T - Chocolate is definitely there. The taste is very well balanced from what I can tell. I'm not much of a stout drinker but this one makes me want to come back for more. Roasty/toasty sweetness with just enough chocolate without going overboard. Pretty good.

M - Smoothness that just covers every part of my tongue. Full bodied without being chewy or overly heavy. Little carbonation.

D - I decided to try this one after having Young's Oatmeal Stout. As mentioned earlier I'm not a big fan of stouts but after these two, I'm starting to have a change of heart. I guess I can thank Young & Co's Brewery for the eye opener! I would definitely buy this again.

Rezzin, Feb 10, 2006