Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a black color with very little head, only a little lace that clings to one side of the head. Not much smell here, a little sweet malty aroma is about it and no sense of chocolate. Goes down smooth, lightly carbonated, and minimally bitterness. The taste is unbelievable though. It's almost like chocolate utopia in a bottle. The hops and malts are perfectly balanced. There isn't a chocolate stout out there that beats the flavor in this one, IMO. Although, there is basically no head and smell, this is still by far my favorite chocolate stout.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Poured at the Ginger Man in NYC. Poured into a pint glass with a strong 3/4 inch tan thick head and a black thick body.

S- Some chocolate on the nose obviously. Very light nose other than that.

T- This is a good dry stout. I get some dark roasty malts with a mild chocolate flavor. The chocolate is not overly strong it just is a light to medium background note.

M- Thickish brew with a medium carbonation. The bubbles were very small because of the nitro tap.

D- I know that it is categorized a sweet stout but I think it is a dry stout with chocolate flavor. Good drinker for sure though.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured this from a nitro can. Formed about a one inch creamy head and as was brown black in color. Could smell a hint of chocolate. The taste was initially of a stout but then the chocolate really came through. This beer is very enjoyable and drinkable and i am looking forward to trying it again very soon.

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

I decided to rate this beer again but from a different serving type (nitro-can).

Color: Motor oil black with a luscious, creamy head of foam. Looks very palatable!

Aroma: Smooth and creamy with a strong chocolate presence in the nose. As it warms up, the chocolate aroma becomes even more potent.

Taste: Smooth and creamy upfront with a hint of coffee followed by creaminess and then chocolate towards the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, luscious and smooth. Goes down very smoothly as well.

Verdict: A beautiful example of the milk/sweet stout category. Tastes even better from a nitro-can than a bottle. It also beats out comparable stouts in nitro-cans that I have sampled.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After only being recently able to get my hands on this beer, I decided to give it a try. Now, in all honesty, I was a bit worried. The idea of actually putting chocolate into a beer struck me as a bit "gimmicky" for lack of a better word. Now that I have tried it...I am going back for more!

First, while it is characterized here as a "Sweet/Milk Stout" I honestly didn't find it to be so. The sweetness simply does not jump out at me. The chocolate does and IMHO is the star of the show. In my reviews that I do for the store in which I work (part-time...it is a labor of love) I often refer to stouts as having "chocolate notes" so I shouldn't have been surprised at how well the chocolate works here. This is one great stout! Pours a rich dark caramel brown, beautiful creamy head (say what you will about widget beers...they do pour great thick heads)that stays with you through the whole quaff. The aroma was lighter than I expected but pleasant with malty and chocolate overtones. Where this brew shines is in flavor and mouth feel.

The chocolate comes through wonderfuly. Added to the roasty notes of the malt, it had a cappuccino-like taste without as much bitterness (though there is enough bitterness for good balance)the malt comes through nicely. The mouthfeel is smooth as silk and excellent. I found it to be a bit less heavy than some other stouts and feel like I could drink a few at a sitting. All in all, a very superior stout.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout pours a nice robust, dark, brownish black. The smell is pleasantly mild of chocolate and malts. There is very a evident smooth chocolate malt taste with a silky texture. This brew is complimented nicely by its taste/mouth combo making it an enjoyable drink well worth the affordable price.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

i am all about this guy. he was my first beer of the new year, cracked open about 12:10AM on new years. the last one i had was drunk straight out of the can, but it is also delicious in a pint class. pours black as hell, iwth a nice brown head. the smell is chocolately as hell and the taste is fairly strong with a good thickness. you can taste some coffee and malts, but the aftertaste is where's its at. it feel like you just drank ten thousand gallons of hot chocolate. it feels AWESOME. the carbonation is pretty good, but it is definitely better in the nitro-can as opposed to in a bottle, which is still delicious.
this is my favorite beer right now. i can't get enough of it.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

I had only ever seen this beer offered in bottles, so I could not pass up a chance to get a pint of this.
It had a strong odor of chocolate. It did not have a head to it.
It had a great smooth mouthfeel to it. Not heavy at all. The aftertaste was pleasant with hints of chocolate.
If you love chocolate, this is a beer worth trying.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Deep, deep brown, practically opaque when held to the light. Decent, creamy head retention, gorgeous lacing.

Smell: Chocolate at the front, not overpowering, strikes a good balance with the caramel/roasted notes.

Taste: Wonderful. Sweetness of the chocolate/caramel, followed by a note of hops, and the earthy roasted, malty tones in the aftertaste. Nice progression of tastes, and a very nice balance between all the tastes.

Mouthfeel: Perfect level of carbonation, and about as creamy as you can imagine. Exactly how a stout should feel.

Drinkability: Overall, a very well brewed beer, nice balances on all fronts, feels fantastic on the tongue, and a thoroughly satisfying experience. More please!

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Black with some brown around the edges with a cream-colored two finger head and great lacing.

S: Chocolate and sweet cream with a bit of roasted notes.

T: Milk chocolate, roasted malts, and a slight espresso taste and bitterness.

M: Not as creamy as I thought that it would be. It had almost a slight grittiness. It did however have a crisp dry finish.

D: Great after dinner sipper that is not too sweet for a couple.

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

Review copied from previous notes:

This is a style I'm not too familiar with.

A - Very dark in color and typical stout head - very dense. Looks a lot like a Guinness with a darker head. Opaque in clarity.

S - Definite chocolate smell. Smells like a milk chocolate bar. Some caramel scent. Fun sweetness, makes you feel like a kid.

T - Slight chocolate after taste. Warm cocoa up front. Taste doesn't linger much.

M - Very smooth. Light bodied. Goes down like nothing but not very impressionable.

D - Light compared to it's appearance. An easy drinker. It doesn't fill you up and is nice enough to drink more.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Funny story behind this one, my friend brought over a couple bottles and a half-gallon of vanilla ice cream. She talked us into making "beer floats". I thought the idea was absurd but they were mighty tasty with this brew. Anyway, I used the other bottle straight for this review.

A - Blick -a-dee- Black with a nice creamy head that lasted.

S - Mocha chocolaty delight.. Yum, absolutely the best part of the brew.

T - Roasted chocolate bean. They should serve this at Starbucks. A nice dark chocolate makes the sweet malt stand out.

M - Medium bodied although a bit too carbonated.

D - Very easy. Smooth and satisfying. Even great with vanilla ice cream!!

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 14.9fl. oz can into an English Pint Glass. There was a click, hiss, and eery moan like something was trying to get out of the can. Observed a very cool display, looking much like sand art until the beer settles to a consistent one finger beige head on top of a coal black body. Good retention!

Smell of Chocolate Ovaltine Powder Mix, with hints of roasted malts and coffee. Very smooth, sweet and creamy, with some dark chocolate and coffee bitterness, on the finish. Very easy to drink, reminds me of Yoo Hoo. Nice dessert beer. Yum!

2.74/5  rDev -31.8%

$8.99 a 4-pack at Bev World II; BB: 24 Feb 08

I love nitro. Sure, it's gives the beer an unnatural look & feel, & the sound of the widget dancing around has probably resulted in more then a few kids loosing their fingers, but so what. Nitro delivers.

As I pour this one out slow, I manage to get just about the whole 14.9oz inserted before the head takes off. Slow & steady, the insulating foam goes forth. Once it reaches the lip it stops like a well trained dog. Good doggie, here's some beernuts. :) *gurgle*

Being familiar with nitro, I play with the head, seeing what I can float atop it. ...and... Lego bricks don't float. So I plant myself on the couch while the tan suds settle.

Twenty five minutes later, I dive in. ... Yoo-hoo & brown sugar immediately come to mind. Something like vanilla & hazelnut (but a little more artificial) creeps into the background. I don't smell anything else.

The obvious thinness of it you notice immediately. I feel like I am in fact, drinking that skim milk, chocolate flavored drink we call Yoo-hoo. The paltry added creaminess from the nitro just reinforces the thought of how much I dislike lowfat milk.
On my third sip, I notice that artificial vanilla/nut mixture that doesn't sit totally well with me. The backend brings in a dark mixture of hot chocolate & stale coffee. Everything tastes very bland.

I could drink it again. Whether or not I'd pay for the so-called privilege is another question. :|

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

This was recommended to me after hearing the store owners replaced the Brookyln Brewery chocolate stout with this. As always was excited to try a new beer and was quite satisfied with the results.

Appearance was pretty good, definate look of a stout with a nice elegant creamy head to it.

Smell was great. To me it was the perfect combination of a rich chocolate and a nice full stout beer. I'd like to see a friends reaction making them smell it blindfolded..

Taste. I really liked it. It has taken me a while to build up a good taste for a stout beer and this was a major stepping stone for me. It will certainly make you appreciate a delicious beverage.

Mouthfeel was great, there was a slight bubbly sense to it and the richness it gave out was amazing and unique.

Drinkability was good for a late evening desert beer. It is perfect for letting friends try and good if you want something that you can savor for a while.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from bottle into mug. Pours virtually black but some mahogany highlights around rim of mug. Thick, very thick, mocha colored rocky head. Good retention and lacing. Smell is lackluster. Really not much here, some baking chocolate, very powdery, other than that there seems to be and off smell, almost yeast like. Taste was much better. Chocolate, as expected, is rich and full, almost syrup like. Some roasted grains and malt, but mainly chocolate. Somewhat bitter taste left in mouth. Thick and full mouthfeel, low carbonation. Overall a good beer once I got over the smell. I like the lower ABV, it makes this easily drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Pours an opaque black. The entire glass was one unsettled bit of stout that had to calm, which took a minute or two. Thick tan head. Nose is a mild chocolate with standard strong malt characteristics in the mix as well. Flavor is smooth with a subtle chocolate tone that lingers and gently caresses the palate. Feel is thick with a decent carbonation. It is drinkable, sure. But for a “double” chocolate stout, I am not blown away. I had this before in the bottle and wasn’t entirely wooed by it and wanted to give it another shot since I figured my palate might have not be en mature enough to appreciate. But yet again, I am just not getting it. I know this is an extremely popular brew, but am I missing something? I love stout, and especially chocolate ones, but this isn’t really doing anything for me at all.

4.61/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours very creamy and thick, very black. A large cream head, tan colored, starts out about half an inch and stays thick throughout the pint.

Hard to smell past the cream top, could make out hints of coffee and chocolate (obvious) though.

Drinks very smooth, can't get past how smooth. Strong chocolate taste, not too bitter, slight coffee hint, but certainly the chocolate is the dominant flavor. Extremely sweet.

The creaminess of the stout stays in your mouth long after drinking with no unpleasant bitterness lurking about. Highly sweet, not for those who prefer a bitter stout.

Because it's so smooth, I could I drank it faster than I normally do with a stout, but because it's so rich and full, it's hard to drink more than one or two at a time.

2.36/5  rDev -41.3%

This was a pretty strange beer... copped a single 16.09 oz can at wine and more in west orange... pours a very odd, opaque color with a huge frothy head seen in layers... dark - black... chocolate is definitely noticeable in the smell... thick, rich chocolate... taste was pretty bitter... not to my liking at all, with a bittersweet, cocoa-espresso finish that was too rich and thick to be truly enjoyable... a little plastic ball was in the can, I guess to shake up the chocolate... wouldn't want to drink more than a few sips of this... wasn't into this brew at all... Not recommended... Young's winter warmer was great but this one didn't do it for me...

4.66/5  rDev +15.9%

When poured from can, mixing happened very quickly and settled into a nice thick head about 1/2 inch, which lasted until the beer was gone and stayed in the glass for a while. It had a very creamy looked and stuck to the sides of the glass. The beer is very dark with a slight reddish look when the light hits it right.

Very strong roasted coffee aroma.

The taste is unbelievable. It has a malted chocolate flavor with a slight hint of coffee flavor. I also pick up a little cream flavor towards the end, then a roasted malt aftertaste.

A very smooth and creamy texture that reminds me of chocolate milk.

This is the perfect beer to go a long with a slice of chocolate cake, which I had when I first tried it a few months ago.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

Nice deep brown color with a one finger reddish brown foam head. Lots of lacing all the way through the drink. The smell is a strong chocolate as is the taste. Good mouth feel and aftertaste, but overall not that impressed. The taste of chocolate is overbearing to the point it doesn't taste like a stout should taste.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

This is one of the quintessial dessert beers. I've had it with dessert, in dessert or as dessert. Love it!! The nitro can pours a wonderful tight creamy tan head a top a very dark brown inviting beer. The aroma is chocolate with a very slight roast charcter and some cream (lactose?) The flavors of lucious chocolate with a very slight bitterness and mild roast character are paired with ample residual sweetness. The velvety mouthfeel seductivley slips and slides around the mouth leaving behind some milk chocolate to enjoy later.

This is not a session beer or one that I would have a when I wanted a beer. It's a dessert beer and a fine one at that!!

2.54/5  rDev -36.8%

14.9 oz. nitro-can in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark color with a light tan head.

S - Strong chocolate smell.

T - Really thin with light flavor. Some chocolate undertones.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Not a fan. This is really watery and thin and the flavor is really light.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

I had a couple of bottles of this while in the Youngs Dog & Bull pub, in Croydon, UK, after work.

It looked stunning poured into a Youngs ale glass in one of the nicest old london pubs Ive seen in three years of being here. The medium bubbly head was white/brown and settled nicely.
I've never had anything like it before. Incredible chocolate presence (tastes like cadburys) - but it still manages to be a stout somehow. Other notes are present in the taste, such as raisin and coconut. The drinkability is exceptional, I would have expected it to sit in your stomach. Nonetheless I probably would not have more than 2 of these in one sitting. The stout is very lightly carbonated. Ive also had to slightly reduce my rating to compensate for the novelty factor I was experiencing!

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Pint bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours super dark brown with ruby glints in it. It has two inches of deliciously delicate off-white foam on top with killer retention.

S: It smells primarily of chocolate, with subtle notes of raisins. There is also an oak-like aroma as well as an ever-so-slightly vinous quality.

T: It tastes like it smells, with dark chocolate being the primary taste. There are also faint notes of coffee, and, as it warms in my hand, a milky taste, which complements the chocolate and coffee very nicely. It is robust and smooth and sweet, but not overly so.

M: The mouthfeel is really the only thing about this beer that I have qualms with. It is really thin, and even worse, it's kind of tingly acidic.

D: The drinkability is awesome. It's not quite the most drinkable stout ever, but it's pretty close.

This is a very solid beer.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd