Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

A: With that cascading effect, this one is prettier than Guinness.
Eventually settled with a beautiful 2 finger dark tan head w/ good retention & lacing.

S: All I smelled was chocolate. (not a complaint)

T: Dark chocolate & roasted chocolate malt combine for a nice chocolate milk taste.

M: Smooth milky feel w/ pretty much no carbonation.

D: Great if you want to get drunk off chocolate or chocolate milk and there's none to be found - but it's awfully expensive for chocolate milk.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A: This is a pretty beer. Solid black with a creamy tan head that recedes to the edges and thinly laces throughout the drink.

S: CHOCOLATE! Sweet stout to be sure. Maybe it's my untrained nose, but it smells more of cocoa truffles than chocolate malt. Granted there is both in here, but this smells like a glass of chocolate milk than a beer. Still, smells good.

T: The taste isn't what I expected from the smell. The flavor sweet actually comes from the malts, with the cocoa taking a slight bittering role. No hops here that I can pick up. There is a hint of cola flavor that hangs around at the swallow.

M: A little thin for my milk stout preference, but it carries the flavors well enough.

D: All around an excellent night cap. Not so much a session beer because of the sweet factor, but a delicious single anytime. This is the staple chocolate stout for a reason.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

I've had this beer before on tap at a local Mellow Mushroom restaurant. At the time, I was bowled over by its rich, creamy, bittersweet chocolate flavor. Just tonight, I revisited this classic example of the Milk Stout style, but in a can. I can't say it lived up to the earlier experience. While the brew exhibited most of the same characteristics as its on-tap kin, it just didn't have the same intense flavor profile. The beer poured its dark, dark brown color into my Sam Smith pint glass. While pouring, I heared the "widget" bouncing around in the can. This certainly provided a full, dense head and a nice creamy texture to the beer. The aroma was mainly of dark malts; there was very little else to be noticed here. My memory of the taste was of dark malts with a big–and I mean big–dark chocolate flavor. In this version, the malts were certainly present but the chocolate was subdued. It felt as though I were drinking Guinness with a bit of chocolate added. I definitely noticed an improvement as the beer warmed. The creamy mouthfeel of this beer is fantastic, even with the flavors stunted. I'll have to try this again on tap to see if an anomaly has occurred or if there is a real difference between the two.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Not sure of the difference between the can and bottle, but my sample came from a 14.9oz purple & orange nitro-balled can. When I popped the top, I thought the can was going to overflow by the sound of the nitro. It was quite loud compared to other nitro cans I've used.

But the beer was still strangely 'dead'. The head was thin and I didn't get the mouthfeel I would expect. Not sure of how old the cans were, so that may have been a factor.

That being said, I really enjoyed the taste. Lots of heavy dark flavors on the tongue with a slight sour/bitter in the back of the mouth. A swish-swish-swirl-swirl brought lots of chocolate to the forefront.

I would also say that the serving temperature should be closer to 60deg. The warmer the beer was, the more flavors escaped with the aroma and the better the subtle hints came out during tasting.

This beer would be close to the top of my list when I’m thinking of an aromatic stout.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Nitro-tap, nice pour into a pint glass at Henry's 12th Street Tavern in Portland. Color is brownish-black, thick tan head has excellent retention all the way to the end. "Lacing" doesn't do this one justice. It more leaves a thick foamy coating on the whole glass. (Due to the nitro?) I'm not sure I've seen anything like it before.

Smell is sweet malty, definite milk chocolate, just a little bit of dark roast malts but mostly sweet.

The closest thing I've come to drinking a Hershey's bar in the beer world, for sure. I don't taste much of the bitter, baker's chocolate. It's more the smooth, sweet milk chocolate, with just a bit of dark roast barley and an almost indiscernible amount of earthy hops. Just enough to remind you that it's a beer.

The nitro probably makes this already smooth, creamy stout all the more so. Medium body, sticks in your mouth. I think the "lace" is doing the same thing in my mouth, it lasts.

To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of the milk and sweet stouts I've tried but this is my favorite. I like a more bitter, hopped, drier stout. Despite that, this is a quality beer that lives up to its name, my tastes aside. Perhaps part of the reason is that it's hard to pair a beer like this with food for me, except maybe as or with dessert.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

I grabbed a 4 pack of pint cans at premier gourmet in Buffalo NY. Got home and chilled a bit, not too much. Poured black with extremely thick bodied head that sticks to the glass the entire session. Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate. The chocolate taste and feel is reminiscent of a milkshake or chocolate milk. The slight coffee bitterness afterwards, leaves you wanting more. Definately a perfect end to anyday.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Picked up a 4-pack of bottles from the store where I work and drank from a wide-mouth pint glass. This beer poured pure black with a rich head that clung to the sides of the glass all the way down. Held up to the light, it was totally opaque, nothing came through, no glow even. It smelled like dark chocolate as its name implies with the hint of biterness that goes along with dark as opposed to milk chocolates. In the mouth it felt full and velvety and coated the throat as it went down. A delicious dessert beer, maybe it was because I had worked all day before putting it down, but when I was done, I was sleepy! I couldn't see drinking these all night, but it was fantastic as a one-off to end the day.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours black with a nice fine grained tan head that mostly fades and leaves some spotty lacing. There are aromas of vanilla, cocoa, dark chocolate, sherry, and a slight roastiness. The taste is smooth cocoa up front ans a sligght bitterness on the finish. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a reasonably substantial body. Good beer, but a little one dimensional to consume much of.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Oppaque. Dark brown, almost black. Light-brown head.

S: Fantastic. Chocolate apparent. Roasted grain smell. Some whiffs of coffee.

T: Good. Chocolate comes through, with roasted grains apparent. No hop presence. Not very sweet, the chocolate is pretty dry.

M: Creamy. Very smooth.

D: Medium Low. I wouldn't want more than two of these. The chocolate is very rich, but luckily not very sweet.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Can purchased from Key food on Mcguiness.

A_Hard pour produces a cascading effect similar to a nitro stout from tap. Dark brown almost black and opague, no light getting through in this. The fluffy cappacino foam couloured head sits there pretty steadily. It coats the side of the glass. Beautiful.

S-This smells a little like kahlua. Coffee with a little chocolate milk. the sweetness and milk smell definitely come through in the smell.

T-This tastes like an coffee ice cream and chocolate milk shake. It doesnt taste as good as the smell but it is still good. There is some roasted malt flavours going on as well, hop character is undetectable to me. The choclate is probably like a mild dark or a bittersweet.

M-A little mighter than i would want, but there is a ncie creaminess to it. The excellent head retention almost acts like the whipped cream atop the shake. This is my first time having this in the nitro can.

D-As always this is a great dessert beer. It goes well with any sort of dark chocolate. I have always loved this beer, it is definitely different in the nitro can.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Dark black with thick brown head that sustains during consumption.
S: Smells of the milk or dark chocolate taste. Very nice aroma, but a smidge sweet to be using as your go-to favorite smell.
T: Tastes very smooth and malty. Much like chocolate, especially as the beer warms up. If served too cold I would imagine you could not taste the complexity or the chocolate flavors.
M: Very smooth as if you were drinking chocolate milk.
D: This beer is a good dessert beer as it is super sweet. It would be difficult to consume a lot of unless you were doing so with another flavor that was really bitter and salty to cancel out the sweet chocolaty taste.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

A: As it's pouring into the glass, the brown, viscous liquid settling to a black stout with a dark tan head interests me. The head retention is very good, perhaps not as dense as it would appear if pulled from the cask, but this is an enticing beer to look at.

S: My nose is a bit blocked, unfortunately. I could smell the chocolate as I was pouring it, now I can only detect sweet dark malt, a delicate, faint hop sweetness, and vapours which are probably alcohol (I poured this quite warm, maybe 15C). I don't know if it's just my inability to detect anything but the aromas, while pleasant, don't seem to be especially complex.

T: Stronger than your average milk stout (with chocolate added rather than milk in this case), but an extremely hearty beer nonetheless. I can taste the oats (a really underused and underappreciated grain in all dark ales) and an almost orangey surprise hits me while swallowing, on the back of the tongue. I'm appreciating this more by the second. A gristy grain-fibre flavour on the roof of the mouth near the palate rounds out this beer. Nicely balanced, although this ale succeeds by offering several obvious flavours rather than myriad semi-identifiable ones (I often have that problem with good Belgian dark ales). Finally, there's a nice peat flavour invading my mouth. I had an Ardbeg the other night and this reminds me of that.

M: Smooth. The body is very viscous and calming, almost the consistency of soothing cough medicine (thankfully without that flavour).

D: I wouldn't drink more than one per night, because of the cost (A$7.10). But there is nothing cloying about this brew and if I had the opportunity to drink it on tap, I'd order several.

Overall: A good beer, not necessarily exemplary of the style, but definitely a thumbs up. Personally I prefer milk stouts to be weaker in strength - 5.2%abv is a lot for any English ale, let alone a mild stout. I suppose this isn't just 'any' English ale though, it's an experiment in brewing, and the result is a success.

A few years ago I tried quite a few Young's beers in England, and didn't think they were anything out of the ordinary (at least by England's ale standards). This one is the exception - I will look out for Young's more now, even though there aren't too many that make it to my part of the world.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours as black as black can be with a nice thick 1.5 inch beige head. Patchy lacing is left down the glass.
S - Chocolate is the first thing to hit the nose but not overwhelmingly so. Roasted barley lurks there too.
T - Again chocolate comes through backed up with some coffee and roast barley. A slight sweet nutty flavor is there too.
M - Smooth mouthfeel but a little lighter than what I was expecting.
D - A very nice beer indeed. Perhaps not to everyones liking but if your into stout or dark beers in general this is a must.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

A: Very dark almost black color with 1"+ of thick brown head and lots of glass cling.
S: Definitely chocolate...however the hops and malt aromas add nicely to the overall aroma (after the chocolate rush subsides).
T: The first swig is all chocolate...2nd is everything but the chocolate (which is a great tasting stout in its own right), but the 3rd swig through the end is the whole package. The flavors of the malt, the chocolate and a nice touch of hops make for a well blended and rich stout.
M: Very creamy and smooth with light carbonation.
D: Highly enjoyable; the chocolate is almost overwhelming at first, but as everything else comes to the palate, it becomes a wonderful beer that will have me coming back for more.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Nitro can poured into a pint glass.

A: Near black in color with soft brown hues. Fluffy tan head pours two fingers thick. Good retention. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Roasted coffee bean. Rich dark chocolate. Caramel malts. Soft dark fruit.

T: Rich and bitter dark chocolate and coffee dominate the front end of this brew. Sweet caramel malts and roasted grain are followed by a soft dark fruit presence and a biscut like taste. Burnt chocolate and more roasted coffee finish slightly dry.

M: Smooth and rich. Minimal carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: A nice desert beer. Creamy and rich without being to heavy which makes drinkibility high. Recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout pours a rich brown black with a thin head. Extra points for filling my Samuel Smith pint glass perfectly to the top. Aroma is sweet, creamy chocolate and astringent roasted malts. Taste is more chocolate, nice and creamy with dark roasted malts apparent. The bitterness seems to come largely from the dark malts. I like the flavor, I think it could just use a little more sweet malt background to complement the roasty chocolate flavor.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: It pours from the can like chocolate milk, in about 30 seconds an inch and a half creamy head forms. The nitro can makes this a damn beautiful beer.

Smell: Malty, with a touch of chocolate in the background. I strangely don't smell the chocolate until the very end of the whiff. There is a strange damp smell that I cannot place. The smell is good, but not amazing.

Taste: Creamy, malty, with a good taste of chocolate milk. There is a touch of bitterness but the flavors are fairly muted. There are nice coffee background flavors, but overall - a little above average.

Mouthfeel: Velvety and...thin? With the smallest touch of carbonation. Yet again, the texture is good but not amazing.

Drinkability: This is easy to drink, and is fairly low alcohol. If I had more, I would perhaps have another.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout pours a big rocky tan
head over an opaque black brew. Carbonation seems pretty
active and the nose riding in all those big fat bubbles is of
dark malts, bakers chocolate, and yeast. The flavor is un-
sweetened chocolate up front with a grassy hop finish. The
mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, and also quite crisp and dry.
It's not a bad stout, but when you're used to a bigger flavor
it's a bit of a letdown. It's certainly worth a try, and with an
alcohol by volume of only 5.2% quite sessionable as well.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Served on tap at City Beer in SF.

A: Jet black with a huge and incredibly creamy and thick head. The entire glass is filled with the head after the initial pour, it takes several minutes for it to settle. The head remains on the beer the entire time, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

S: Roasted malts with the hint of chocolate.

T: Lots of dark roasted malt mixed with slightly burnt and bittersweet chocolate. There are some mild hops that add an interesting complexity to the brew. The chocolate is not overpowering but rather subtle.

M: Incredibly rich, chewy, thick and silky smooth, like drinking a well-blended shake.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Out of nitro can into a room temperature fluted glass on a friday night on my deck...

A - a beautiful dark body, and a large, creamy, frothy light brown head that laces appropriately and lasts through the entire glass.

S - I will give them credit here, it has a nice aroma. While light, it has a nice toasted flair with a milk chocolate and coffee backbone.

T - unfortunately, the taste does not match, certainly not in intensity, with the wonderful nose. It falls flat here, and I firmly believe, unless you are just a chocolate stout fan, this is an average tasting beer. It's initial presentation is slightly sweet, with a faint chocolae undertone, and an ultra short finish. (which does add to it's drinkability)

M - a medium body with a very light, watery (read:non-oily, like an imperial stout would) mouthfeel. Carbonation is non-existent.

D - Keep in mind this is a nitro-can from across an ocean. I wouldn't think the bottle is better, or even as good, but would love to have a shot at this brew fresh from the source. This is not a sipping beer, it is a pub beer t go enjoy in a group, and maybe in high quanitities. That's the place for this, because most people can't have 10% ABV beers and make it more than an hour or so of lively company. So, there is a great place for this stout, and I think they did hit it on the head here.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a snifter. Big rocky brown head that floats atop a pool of jet black fluid. Disappears quickly.

Toffee, chocolate, and fruit in the nose.

Starts sweet. Sort of chocolatey but very mild for something called Double Choclate Stout (I was thinking more along the lines of Rogue's Chocolate Stout). Some fruit on the pallate. Medium bitterness with a slight acetic finish.

I like this beer but my expectations were much higher. If the aroma and taste matched the drinkability would be an outstanding beer.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Best by 13 Sep 07

Pours a black with some faint hints of light creeping through the edges. The head peeks at about one finger and settles slowly to a spotty cap and ring, leaving behind a decent lacing.

Smell; obviously the is chocolate and sweet malts, but I have to say that the aroma is a little much more subdued than I was expecting.

Taste; sweet malts and bittersweet chocolate, with a touch of sour in the background. As this warms the beer gets better, which is good since i wasn't all that thrilled at first.

The mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for a stout, but the drinkability is pretty good.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

This is my first beer review and so I thought I'd do it on what is in my opinion my first "real" good beer. I had this when in NYC at this resturaunt called Max Brenner, a place specializing in chocolate. For a while I thought drinking Corona and Hieneken was the greatest thing ever, thank god I found this website. Anyways on to the beer!
I was served this in a 1pt 6oz bottle with a frosted glass which I let warm up a little. It poured a nice dark black reminding me of guinness. Not much head but about 1/2 head was retained and left lacing on the glass.
The smell, although a little hard to remember was of roasted malts and chocolate, I think I wouldn't mind having an air freshener of this smell.
The taste was very unexpected. I've drank alot of Guinness because my best friend loves it and buys alot of it. But this is not as bitter and nutty, its very smooth and reminds me more of a dark ale than a stout at first. But then again I'm new at this, so I'm still finding out what to look for when I taste a beer. I very much liked the taste, it went well with my sandwich and chocolate cake desert.
I'm not really sure what mouthfeel really is supposed to mean, but if I had to I'd say it was very smooth, perhaps a little thicker than most lagers/ales but not so much that it absolutely dominates your mouth.
I coud definately drink several of these, its definately great with deserts or just by itself FOR desert. I looked for this the moment I got back to Albany and found it at Oliver's Beverage.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Poured a very deep dark brown, really could not be any darker without turning black. Huge off white head with lots of good lace down the glass till the very end.

S - Smell was very strong, rich creamy milk chocolate, with lots of hidden spices and other subtle aromas. A hint of hops possible on the back.

M & T - Wow, very first impression was of a chocolate ice cream flaot, very much a dessert beer in taste, wow. A bit thin on the feel though, would have throught it would have been a bit more robust. Nice carbonation made it feel frothy when going down. As it warmed, hints of root beer and hops started to present themselves and round out the taste profile very nicely.

D - Overall a very nice dark session beer. A little light compared to its big brothers in the field, but a fine brew none the less. It was nice to be able to put it down with feeling too full and falling down at the end which was definatly a plus.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance - Dark and black with thick foamy head.
Smell - Smell the chocolate. The sweetness is right in the nose.
Taste - If you couldn't tell by the smell that it was going to be sweet you do now. Actually, sweeter than I expected.
Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy - lmost like a thin milkshake.

This was my first experience with YDCS and it was very good. As I've said, I bit sweeter than I expected. Definitely need to take this into account and decide if the time and/or pairing is right.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd