Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

they really do add chocolate to it. Must be drunk last at meal end or at end of a session to appreciate. The colour and smell of chocolate.
Almost four years later, I had this on tap at Cole's and while it is thick foam that coats the mouth and there is chocolate and coffee there, it paled the new Ommegang chocolate and Rogue imperial porter. Beautiful chocolate black.

01-25-2004 03:20:35 | More by Sammy
francisweizen

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A fresh bottle of this stuff....for about a buck 50....awesome! This is a jet black colour with a lovely beige head. The aromas are of chocolate, and roasty toasty malts. The taste is chocolatey and caramely with some lovely roasted malts and light hops in the mix as well. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and oh-so-excellent and the drinkability is simply out of this world. Awesome stuff!

01-21-2004 19:35:44 | More by francisweizen
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Another fine offering from The Flying Saucer. Eighty- two beers on tap and I always come back to this one.

Black as night body doesn't allow any light. Thick foamy long standing mocha head. Lacing is present.

Chocolate malt and cocoa aroma with a fresh roasted coffee bean kick. Yum!

Taste is awesome...Roasted malts are welcomed by an incredible bittersweet dark chocolate flavor. Cafe mocha with a hint of raspberry. A mild carbonation tingle near the end.

Creamy rich mouthfeel is very inviting. Overall, definitely better than the bottle.

Plainly, I love this beer. This being my preferred taste, I can drink these all night long, and I think I'll do just that.

01-21-2004 17:07:14 | More by WOLFGANG
Reneejane

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

mmmm... Orgasm in a can (oops I can say that right?)

It poured a nice opaque black with a good thick head that lasted and laced down the glass.

It pairs chocolate roast for a malty coffee-y flavor with the sensuous taste of chocolate. Wow, what a dessert.

it finishes like godiva liquor, sweet and chocolatey

01-21-2004 00:18:56 | More by Reneejane
JackTheRipper

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Wow, this isn't beer, this is a force of nature.

Appearance: Served in a can with one of those nitro-widgets in it. Pours a light-absorbing black with an absolute steamer of a head, lacing is a thing of beauty. Are the bubble supposed to go downwards? Phenomenal.

Smell: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, surprisingly delicate in the nose.

Taste: Deeply roasted coffee, hints of chocolate, and a taste that I can only describe as something like Jose Cuervo tequila in the background. Nothing is too overpowering, all the tastes, while quite forceful, are very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: This has to be the smoothest beer I've ever had. Carbonation is next to impossible to detect, and for a beer with only 5.0% ABV, what alcohol there is really makes itself known. This beer packs quite a wallop in this category.

Drinkability: Not something I'd want to drink more than one of at a time, but a very nice offering nonetheless. I suppose if I were having a chocolatey dessert, this beer would match quite well, but sitting here drinking it and eating a piece of sharp cheddar cheese, it's not quite the same.

01-19-2004 03:26:38 | More by JackTheRipper
ppoitras

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Draft can from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA, wow, almost as nice as a nitro tap presentation. But we're not talking about tap, this is a draft can, so let's go...

Incredible head, amazing staying power, as expected. Super malty nose, dark look like you couldn't believe, smoothness to die for. Get if possible, on draft , draft can, or plain old bottle, whatever you can...

01-17-2004 05:29:39 | More by ppoitras
hyuga

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

A nearly black and opaque brew with a very thick and creamy head of creme-color. Beautiful beer, and that everlasting nitro-head is a pleasure to look at, but not as much so as to sip and get the incredibly creamy mouthfeel. Huge toffee in the aroma along with a good deal of cocoa and some mild hops. Roasted malt greets your taste buds, and of course the generous amounts of chocolate and toffee. A nice mild English bitterness complements these perfectly. Again, wonderfully thick and creamy mouthfeel. Light to medium body, but rich for an English beer. Quite drinkable, would make a great session beer if you're in the mood for good bittersweet chocolate, and a great dessert beer on the same note. A pleasure on tap. Looking forward to having it again.

01-15-2004 08:15:46 | More by hyuga
palliko

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

I loved Young's Oatmeal Stout, so, thought I'd try their offering in the gorgeous purple and orange can. It soon became a favorite. I recently tried it on tap at the Yardhouse in Denver - and it is even better on tap than in the nitro-pack can. Especially in a tall ½ yard glass! Talk about a creamy, solid foam head - it never goes away! The massive clouds of foaming brew forms slowly as the soft brown cascades of carbonation struggle to the top. When the beer settles down, it is an opaque coffee brown – and the aroma contains coffee. And chocolate - with a hint of vanilla. But surprisingly the taste is more of a stout experience than sweet. Just right. Amazingly good. Okay, perfect.

01-13-2004 16:45:01 | More by palliko
Crosling

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a dirty black cocoa with a deep and dense tan head. Nice retention and laces up pretty well but seemed to falter towards the end.

Woo! Nice aroma on this! I can smell this all night! Deep dark chocolate with cocoa, lots of cocoa. Truffle characteristics w/o sugar. Smells wonderful!

Chocolate, cocoa, coffee, walnuts with a hint of vanilla and a nice hop bite. This tastes great!

This has been my second tasting of this beer and either the beer has improved a lot (which I doubt) or my palate has improved a lot. We will go with number 2!

01-13-2004 04:40:27 | More by Crosling
steorn

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I had the pleasure of this on tap at the Blue Nile in mpls.Dark sultry with medium off white head.The smell is dark chocolate malt and sweet sweet milk chocolate.I sip and its like a candy bar in a glass, yet not cloying or too strong.I have had this from a bottle and it was not nearly so balanced or choco good. It fills and coats the mouth nicely, so smooth and gentle.After dinner , as a snack, this one is so nice. Some gentle hops hover in the background as I ponder how nice to be alive and relax with Youngs D C S

01-09-2004 04:27:17 | More by steorn
jed

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Pours black with a two-finger, creamy nitro head. The head retention is almost ridiculous: tons of lacing, and about a finger of head at the bottom of the glass after the beer.

Aroma: Obvious chocolate, toasted malt, a very slight hint of alcohol (far less noticeable than Brooklyn BCS), and some grainy sweetness.

Taste: Big, chewy roasted malt and chocolate flavors with some coffee bitterness and caramel sweetness in the nose. Just a little bit of hops. Dry finish with nice, lingering chocolate aftertaste. Chocolate flavor is never cloying or overpowering. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Very smooth, extremely creamy.

Drinkability: Neither a session beer nor a sipper, but it's easy to drink three or four of these without feeling the alcohol or any heaviness.

This beer has dethroned Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Rogue Chocolate Stout as my favorite chocolate brew. At $6.99 for a four pack, a bit expensive for a college student, but I'm sure I'll be buying it again and again.

01-09-2004 03:46:25 | More by jed
edchicma

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

This is an exceptional brew, Just as good if not better than the bottled version. Oustanding appearance, black with a lasting nitro head. Malt and chocolate essences waft your nostrils inviting you to taste. You will not be disappointed! Creamy, smooth, malty, chocolate..a faint hint of hops....exceptional....can a get the recipe to home brew this stuff? Mouthfeel is rounded and light to medium a perfect feel for the flavors swirling through this brew. Drinkability?
So smooth and creamy, it was almost like having a serving of malty choclate mousse. This is an oustanding, exceptional brew. Buy some now and enjoy!

01-07-2004 02:41:41 | More by edchicma
LuckySevens82

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Yet another wonderful offering from the gang at Young's.
Pours a dark brown (almost black) when held up to the light, you cannot see anything through it (great). Head is a deep tan.

Smells of coffee, chocolate, hops. The smell is by far the best thing about this beer.

Taste: This is a good stout, just the right balance of smoothness and bitterness. My favorite part is the slight chocolate aftertaste, very pronounced and yet not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: this is just a smooth beer, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Drinkabilty: This is where this beer kind of falters. It takes me a long time to drink one of these because of it's thickness. It is VERY heavy and not something you can drink more than one of in a night, but the hour or so it takes to drink a single bottle is just great.

Overall: Definitely a cold weather beer, it reminds me of a good cocoa and a warm blanket

01-06-2004 18:25:32 | More by LuckySevens82
Mangus

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A rich blackness fills my glass and rises up with a frothy, dense tan head. The head settles and leaves nice whisps of tan lace on the sides. Oooh, I like that.

Light roasted earth and barley tones rise out of my glass. I hold it up to the light and can't see through it. Mmmm.

My first sip brings a silky malt taste. It's smooth, roasted, and enjoyable. The label says "double chocolate" yet I find myself searching, reaching for that hint of chocolate. A mere kiss will do. This is a very fine stout however I'm a bit disappointed in my over-anticipation.

01-05-2004 22:34:08 | More by Mangus
jtfest

Oregon

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

I have to admit to a bit of disappointment with this brew. Don't get me wrong, it's very good, as my rating suggests -- it's just not as good as I'd hoped. It had a wonderful appearance and a nice smokey/roasted taste, followed by a truly delightful chocolaty aftertaste. But it was a bit thin in the mouthfeel department for me. I guess after some of the wonderful American micro brewed stouts I've tried, I'm just partial to a "bigger" beer.

01-04-2004 02:52:53 | More by jtfest
Jables

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours pitch black with large dense tan head.

Smells of roasted malts and tootsie rolls.

Flavor is roasted malts, chocolate, a little alcohol, and chocolate again. The chocolate is not overpowering, but rather a silky smooth character that caresses the tongue and teases of rich chocolate cake.

The mouthfeel could be thicker but maybe the slick, smooth feel contributes to the amazing drinkability.

Fast becoming one of my favorite beers, I am looking to try this on nitro-tap.

01-02-2004 04:49:37 | More by Jables
mickeymac

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a classic brown Young's bottle with the purple label, it's very dark brown, almost black. The head was minimal at the beginning and gone after a few sips. The aroma is mostly chocolate with just a hint of ripe fruit. The taste is quite chocolatey but somewhat on the bland side: inoffensive but not outstanding in any way. The mouthfeel seemed slightly thin for a stout. If looking for a chocolate stout, I'd pick Rogue over this any day of the week.

01-01-2004 19:48:44 | More by mickeymac
budsboy

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Black in color, almost opaque, big foamy tan head. Chocolate is first to the nose, slight fruit scent. Taste is wonderful, bittersweet chocolate and chocolate -- the lable doesn't lie -- but there is some complexity there. Great dessert. And sum-mooth, oh my. This is becoming a staple in my diet and the taste really grows on you. It's my comfort beer.

12-31-2003 18:58:34 | More by budsboy
beergeek279

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served into the nonic pint glass at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium. The color was black, with a nice nitro head. The smell was slightly sweet. The taste was a rich and fantastic sweet milk chocolate. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth. Drinkability-wise, could definitely have a few of these.

One of the best nitro stouts that I've ever had. A rich and delicious chocolate make this a real treat. Quite good, and certainly one that I'll have again!!

12-24-2003 01:42:37 | More by beergeek279
kwalters

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This is one fantastic stout! I picked it up on a whim and enjoyed it as an after dinner drink. The chocolate is definately in there in a double dose, as the name suggests. The appearance, scent, and taste are all heavily influenced by chocolate. And as Martha would say, "That's a good thing".

I'd be very hesitant to call this strictly a desert beer, as it would go well with hearty meals too. It's very drinkable and will probably find a permanent home in my fridge.

12-23-2003 15:51:43 | More by kwalters
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

This is one of my favorite beers. As the title suggests, its a dark, warm chocolate malty beer. Pouring it into the glass, a tan/ brown head rises graciously to the top of the glass, leaving plenty of lacing as it generally runs down into the glass forming a dark black beer. At first taste, this beer might seem too sweet, especially for non-stout drinkers. However, the aftertaste has just the right balance of hops to make this otherwise 'all malt' flavor very drinkable. Although it is a very heavy beer, it is easy to down about three of these...especially since the ABV is pretty low.

12-21-2003 19:23:16 | More by GuinnessSmurf
ComradeCanadia

Alberta (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

I heard about chocolate stout when I first started coming to Beer Advocate, and immediately wanted to find it. Lo and behold, a liquor store near my place started carrying it not too long ago! This is my second review as I think I like this even more after consideration.

Appearance: Pours nice and BLACK, or at least so brown that I'm not telling no matter what light I hold it up to. Chocolatey head was smallish and vanished quickly, leaving... well nothing.

Smell: Lots of cocoa, hops, chocolate malts, that sort of thing. I could smell this stuff all day. This smells like a very fine dessert that's been dusted with unsugared cocoa.

Taste: I won't lie and say I've sampled a huge variety of fine beers, but as it stands, this is the best beer I've -ever- tasted. Wonderfully complex with a great cocoa flavour afterwards. Sort of like if you've powdered, unsugared cocoa over a dessert of some sort. Coffee is also very predominant, and a nice hoppy bite as well. Not too sweet at all, which was a fear of mine here. There's more to this beer, but I just don't know how to put names to all the flavours yet.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, not bad... needs a bit more carbonation, but no complaints. Pretty good. I expected this to be creamy like some stouts, and instead feels like a slightly heavy beer.

Drinkability: On a second review - I realize that I was unkind to the drinkability of this delicious brew. I could chug this all day... I was just far too full to drink one of these my first review. Oh god this is good.

Notes: My favorite beer period, and I'm sure there are tons of better beers out there, but I haven't tried them yet. Heh. This is an awesome beer to introduce to people who think that Budweiser is the be all and end all of beers, even people who hate beer love this stuff.

12-16-2003 03:32:21 | More by ComradeCanadia
CRJMellor

Arkansas

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a midnight black with light tan head. First thought with the aroma was mint chocolate chip ice cream in a glass. Further aroma noted was some light roasted coffee notes and touch of hop profile. First taste was milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted coffee taste. Definitely real chocolate in there. Mouthfeel is good but the chocolate somewhat detracts from the other flavors that are in there. Simply too sweet for my palate but I'm sure it is the classic example of this style.

12-15-2003 02:19:12 | More by CRJMellor
mrpivo

Wisconsin

This is my absolutely favorite beer. Young's has done a fantastic job combining chocolate malt and real chocolate into this wonderful stout. The addition of chocolate doesn't make this stout overly sweet by any means. The nitro charge creates a dense milky brown head and creamy appearance to the stout upon initial pour. After the nitro bubbles in the stout settle out you're left with this magnificent head that remains throughout the glass. As it's drank the glass is coated with beautiful lace.

An additional note: I've had this in both bottle and can form and personally feel that this stout is better from the can. Not only do you get the nitro charge, but the taste out of the can is better.

12-12-2003 15:11:21 | More by mrpivo
mschofield

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

We've all heard of milk stouts, well this is a chocolate milk stout.
Dark brown-black with a light-brown three finger head. Laces very well in rings that web together.
Very strong chocolate, milk and roasted aroma
the taste is obviously chocolate, and it's also pretty sweet, and the roasted grain comes out here as well. Chocolate taste builds even more in the aftertaste. Very flavorful beer.
Creamy, Smooth, and Rich feel. Incredibly drinkable, especially after a day of shoveling snow.

12-10-2003 20:54:45 | More by mschofield