Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

16.9 ounce bottle from Cooke's in El Segundo

Shared this with a friend

Poured into a chilled mug with a super dark brown body and a vanilla head

Smell was dark chocolate and malt

Taste was real sweet almost like a stout float if anybody has ever had one of those

Could not drink many of these mainly because they are like a meal in themselves

4.24/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Opaque black or very very very dark brown. No light shines through. A perfect finger of creamy tan head sits atop this brew due to the nitro widget or whatever that thing is inside the can. Whatever it is, it makes for a great looking beer.

Smell: Amazing deep smell of hot chocolate with cream. Chocolate syrup is evident, as well as a nice roasted characteristic. I could sit and smell this beer all day. Amazing, and gives me a flood of memories of winter days by a fire slowly sipping hot chocolate.

Taste: A bit different from the smell, revealing more of a dark chocolate note, or a nice roasted coffee. Has a bittersweet finish that sticks in the back of your throat.

Mouthfeel: Oh so creamy due to the nitro widget. I couldn't ask for a better mouthfeel. Goes down perfectly smooth, like a melted milkshake, allowing for a great progression of flavor.

Drinkability: As good as this beer is, and as much as I love the flaovr and the aroma, I couldn't drink a lot of these due to the sheer heaviness of it. I'll keep this one as an after dinner treat

4.57/5  rDev +13.7%

This brew is a winner people.Pours very dark, just as a stout should.Lovely creamy frothy cocoa head that stays the whole way down.( This is a nitro can ) I'm not a coffee drinker but if Juan Valdez made this i would drink coffee non-stop.Of course the choclate is there in the smell as well as a nice dark malty carmel note. The flavor in the mouth is a cocoa lovers dream. It's so creamy and smooth as the chocolate flavors carress the mouth and bring lingering caramel malts to the tounge. This is a fantastic brew brought to us Americans by the founding fathers from mighty England. This beer is one of my new regulars.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a pint sized snifter glass.

Almost black color. The head is light-brown, thick and creamy, but disapearing after a while.

The smell is sweet and roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and hints of caramel.

The taste is creamy with coffee, chocolate (of-course), roasted bread, some caramel and a bit of bitterness and dryness in the finish.

The carbonation is medium, almost lively.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured this one into a tall Beck's glass,very dark brown near black with a great rocky bubbly foamy tan head that held up quite well and great lacing.
The nose is of coffee,rich chocolate,slight toffee,malt and yes,more chocolate,it really comes through,i guess that's why it's called double chocolate,very nice enticing aroma.
Taste's like black coffee with a hint of licorice with a little bitterness in the middle and dry towards the end,not much chocolate in the taste though.
Mouthfeel is medium-heavy and creamy smooth with a little dryness comming thru.
A very enjoyable beer, especially after dinner or a late evening relax mode drink.This one is actually quite easily to drink,but to me,it does not taste as good as it smells,hey...it still tastes good,don't get me wrong,but the aroma is...appetizing,delicous..Top Notch...very good beer,,well worth trying.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

After enjoying the wonderful sound the nitro insert makes, I poured into a 18 oz pint style glass. Poured similar to most "in the can" stouts. Really active and fairly quick cascade that left an incredibly smooth and uniform tan head... Smell roasted barley and coffee with undertone of the chocolate to come... Tastes pretty much as expected. The choclate comes through nicely, more than is hinted in the nose... Silky, smooth, but not cloying. quite drinkable for a sweet stout. I'll buy it again this winter.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very sexy-looking brew- deep dark brown pour with the nitro head which is lighter in color than i expected. Huge roasted malt aromas along with some mocha. Big chocolate flavors- king of like hot cocoa made with water instead of milk- but not bad. I like the slight bitterness which come through the slightly sweet chocolate flavors. There is a tannin like astringency in the finish- like bittersweet chocolate and a hint of tobacco. Extremely smooth creamy mouthfeel; the brew slides down so very easy. Nice and refeshing stout with good strong flavors.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours an opaque almost black brown with a HUGE tan head that dies slow and leaves behind sheets of lacing. Smells of chocolate and roasted malt. Taste is very malty and a lot of chocolate. Very tasty and what I expected and wanted. Creamy in the mouth, little carbonation and very drinkable and not too filling. A tasty treat.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

No false advertising here. The chocolate is highly noticable from the get-go. A very dark brown to black beer with a nice tight tan head. Looks heavy, but the taste aint. Smooth, balanced, and, of course, chocolatey. All in all an extremely tasty beer. And, if that's not enough, bottles are quite reasonbly priced and easy to find, at least in my neck of the woods.

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours burnt brown color (nearly black) with a very creamy light brown head that hangs around for the duration. Aroma consists of sweet toasted malts, mainly chocolate with hints of coffee and caramel. Taste is creamy chocolate up front, with smaller notes of coffee and caramel, but also a nice subtle hop presence before the finish. Very easy drinking and light on the palate, not quite the heavy mouthfeel and bold flavors that I had expected, but I am still pleasantly surprised. I am not so much of a stout guy, but this is a very nice beer, and one that I will buy again.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

So cool to have a full 16 oz...

It pours out black. My pour was a little rough, and it gave me nearly four fingers of light brown head. It slowly dissipated, though, and some lingered. A little lacing. The aroma is chocolate - sweet and creamy, with a note of licorice, too. However, the taste isn't as rich as I was expecting, although it's still good. I can't quite place it - the dark, roasty, chocolatey notes are there, but they're subtle. It feel light and clean, for a stout - there's no strong alcohol to punch you in the face. The hops come through in the finish too, although I couldn't detect them in the nose. It somewhat creamy, and mostly just nice in the mouth. All these features make it easy to drink, too, although not intensely compelling.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

This is like Guinness...but better.

A: Pours a silky, black body with a thick tan head with excellent retention. I'd bet that I could have eaten the head with a spoon it was so thick and creamy.

S: A sweet, subtle, chocolate smell that was rather enticing.

T: A smooth, chocolate taste, with the chocolate being more evident in the aftertaste. A nice, dry finish that is typical of stouts. Very good tasting.

M: A nice, smooth mouthfeel that was very silky.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer. The bartender claimed that this stuff filled her up, but I could have drank it all day long. My friend will drive 30 minutes just to go to the bar where this stout is served. Definitely an excellent beer.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Youngs double pours into a glass with a similar appearance like Mr. Guinness. Dark as night with a soft tight foam head.

The smell is overwhelmingly chocolate. The taste starts off like milk and then the chocolate hits the palate. It finishes in the back of the mouth with a little malty overtone. Very interesting style and was quite impressed with the beer overall.

3.31/5  rDev -17.7%

Lately I have been craving Chocolate Stouts ever since I had that unexpected one from Rogue.

I know that Youngs is a English style which is known to be smooth so I thought about trying it in a chocolate stout.

For the record I think Rogue is better. The chocolate was more present in that one.

As for this one it stated double chocolate which I don't get that impression when I drink it. I am trying to let it warm up a bit too.

Head retention is minamal.

CO2 is really low which I sort of like because it not over demanding.

The after taste is sort lendering. (Bad)

So far it has been a good one but I know their better ones out there so I might get back to this one.

4.34/5  rDev +8%

A - The lovibond is right on the money for a sweet stout, medium to low lacing, and has a decent amount of head for a stout but not more then expected.
S - Doesn't have much nose but enough to smell the chocolate and malts. Barely any hop aroma.
T - Great tasting. Has a very nice balance of Chocolate but not to the extent of overpowering the other malt profile. I love the fact its not overly sweet as some sweet stouts are however this would be on the minimal range of residual sugars for this beer style. Best taste come out at cellar temperature (55 degrees).
M - Has a great mouth feel. Has a bit of a thick feeling however not over powering and may still be used as a higher ABV session beer during the colder months. The carbonation bite is a little sharp for this style but I like it.
D - This beer is absolutely fabulous. I recommend ANY stout lovers to try this. This is now one of my favorite beers of this style.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Serving Type: A lovely Nitro-Can(becoming one of my favorite ways to drink a beer)

Appearance: Pours a lovely rich black colour w/ a thick whitish head. The head lingers for some time and has ample lacing

Smell: A wonderful chocolate smell w/ some caramel mixed w/ it. Not overly sweet smelling and almost no hops.

Taste: I don't believe I have given any drink a 5 for taste but this gives you what it offers. It taste like a light chocolate mocha w/ hints of toffee. Not overly sweet and has slight dryness toward the end as if roasted coffee. This taste better than I imagined from the smell and no hops showed. Fantastic

Mouthfeel: Very light feel that easily glides throughout the mouth. Goes down creamy

Drinkability: Once again this drink is fantastic. It goes down very smooth and is not overly sweet and taste liked a iced chocolate milk. Wonderfully smooth and not overly malty so you can enjoy quite a few of these.

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%

Tap to pint glass. Flying Saucer, Memphis, TN.

A: Deep, rich, black coffee coloring. Nice thick tan head. Good retention - lots of lace.
S: Sweet malt with chocolate undertones.
T: Milky chocolate taste from the onset. Ale begins to finish a little bitter, but cocoa flavor lingers. Not overly sweet taste, closer to a dark chocolate without the overly bitter bite.
M: Very creamy, full, and mouth-coating.
D: Few full, milk stouts are able to be imbibed in multiples. This is no exception. One is plenty.

Tasty and enjoyable.

Personally, it reminds me of slowing drinking one of those ominous shots that involve Guinness, Bailey's, and Jameson. As long as you haven't had too many unfavorable experiences with that one, you should be fine.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer delivers what it advertises. It tastes and smells like chocolate. I poured it into a glass and it was about the color of cola with a thin, almost burgundy-to-brownish head. You can really pick up the chocolate aroma. There was a strong presence of chocolate flavor as well. Not sweet milk chocolate but more of a Hershey's Special Dark kind of semi-sweet chocolate. Normally I like beer that just tries to taste like beer but this stuff was pretty good. I liked it. I wouldn't drink it all night, though. I'd drink one of the large bottles then switch to lagers and/or pilsners. Definitely worth a try.

4.38/5  rDev +9%

This beer smells and tastes like baker's chocolate. If you've ever tried to eat baker's chocolate thinking you're getting a sweet treat, you find that it's bitter, but still pleasant. That's how this is, but you're expecting bitter since it's a beer, but this is sweet as well, so it's awesome. The head was completely present the entire time which was pretty cool. I could see myself drinking a couple of these, but they are pretty rich, so a point off drinkability. It looks dark black with an off-white head, which is great.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

I had heard about this beer,but never tried it. I was at a local bistro that had this as a feature. I decided to try it and I was pleasantly surprised ! This beer was poured from a can.

The appearance was dark, real dark. Like tar or super strong coffee. It also had a beautiful head, one inch thick or more, with the color of nugget. (think three musketeers ). The head never evaporated, stayed to the last drop.

The smell was also appealing, coffee, caramel, sweet. Even though it"s a stout, there was very little hop flavor, slightly bitter, which I didn't mind. Caramel notes on the tongue, with the perfect hint of chocolate. Very well done, not overpowering or oversweet. But a great flavor on the back and middle of the tongue.

The mouthfeel was also interesting. Very,very smooth. Not thick or chewy, but smooth like velvet. This beer was very easy to drink. Like I said ", smooth ". You could easily drink one and not feel overpowered by flavor or alcohol.

Overall, I really enjoyed this stout, especially for the taste and it"s exceptional drinkability. If You see It, try it! Whether you a stout man or woman, I think you will enjoy this beer. I highly recommend this stout, and can"t wait to try it again.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Black color w/ thick brownish head that stayed the throughout the whole pint

S- Milk chocolate smell

T- Light milk chocolate w/ hints of toffee

M- Medium feel w/ a light chocolate bite at the end

D- Very drinkable for any stout lover

Great all around milk stout. Nice smell, nice taste, and definatly very drinkable.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

To start, this is my favorite chocolate stout, and you can get it on tap at the BBC in Walpole.

I poured a pint bottle into a pint glass,

A: Beautiful, dark, so dark no light would come through. The medium head dissapeared quick and the color of the head was a dark khaki.

S: Like a dark chocolate candy bar, with roasted aroma. Hints of alcohol.

T: Like heaven, haha this tastes better than it smells. Immediately, I thought liquid dark chocolate, with roasted coffe tones. I didn't notice any hop tastes, if they're there its drown out by roasted chocolate. But I love it!

M: Slightly acidic, not much carbonation, soft.

D: With a great taste and an alcohol content of 5.2% its easy to have a few and still function. Very drinkable, but I can't help but think (I had this after killing myself in the gym) that this is probably loaded with calories. I suggest bringing this one to the next family function, bring a bunch, it'll be popular!

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

I love crackin' open a nitro can. It reminds me of tennis balls, but usually tastes so much better.

At first pour, the Young's DCS looks like, well, like a chocolate milkshake. Thick and creamy and rich. Then, as the beer settles, it begins to take on more of a definitive stout appearance. Thick and black as night in color with a full-bodied, tightly-packed tan head. When held up to the natural light of the window, nary a peep of light shines through. This is definitely, in a word, stout. The aroma is a bit subdued, but it is all chocolate. Seriously, it's like sticking my nose in a chocolate malt. Pure chocolate and coco. Oh my, and it's quite tasty too. Smooth and clean, it passes easily through the mouth and glides effortlessly down the throat. Lighter than expected, with lots of fruit notes which blend well with the chocolate flavoring. Dry up front, then sweet, with a roasted bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected, but silky and smooth.

This is a great beer, even if you're not a huge chocolate fan (which I'm not). Easily consumed year-round, in my opinion, although I'll be more inclined to buy more of it when the weather cools off a bit. Relatively mild ABV is nice too. And it's light enough in texture that you won't feel like you're drinking a loaf of bread as happens with some heavier stouts at times. Try this beer and enjoy.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Pours a jet black body with a thick, though quickly dissipating tan head.

Smell: Fragrant and dessert-like, the aroma is primarily of melted milk chocolate. Beyond that, there's a thin measure of smoke, spice, and bitterness.

Taste: The taste is brimming with dusty, bittersweet chocolate flavor and sweet maltiness. Hints of espresso and smoke help to round out the flavor. There's a quick burst of dry, hoppiness midway, but it quickly settles into a chalky, chocolaty finish with a sour note on the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Soft mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A beer so good, that I suspect someone will soon come barging in here and try to disrupt all the fun I'm having. That's how good I think it is!

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

I was watching "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" and the episode was about chocolate. So I went to the fridge seeing if I had ANYTHING chocolate. Oh snap, I found this.

Pop the tab of this nitro-can and you here the widget do it's thing. When pouring, it's a light caramel color. It hits the mug and goes dark. Let it settle and it's black as night, with that carmel colored head topping it off.

Dark chocolate on the nose. Which is the best smelling chocolate if you ask me. Theres a slight graham cracker smell there too.

It has the taste of hot chocolate with some milk. The milk finishes it off.

It's frothy and creamy. The head retains and laces well. A perfect nightcap. I can't see having a lot of these but there nice to have around.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd