Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a deep, dark, deep, dark, deep, dark brown though which no light will ever penetrate. Upon the top, a very nice thick, rich looking tan-brown head.

Aroma is chocolate laced with semi-sweet condensed milk, coconut, nuts, bittersweet chocolate, and just a touch of tartness from hops or yeast. Very pleasant, although there is one very hidden off-putting aroma that I can't identify. Maybe I'm trying too hard.

Flavor is bittersweet chocolate (not sweet enough in my opinion) and toffee-malt. I lose the coconut and milk in the flavor, and the mild-moderate hop bite overlain with the chocolate just isn't right to me. My girlfriend really likes the taste of this, but I just don't get it.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, thick, and enjoyable. The flavor reduces the drinkability to me.

Overall, this is a decent beer, but the appeal of Young's beers in general eludes me.

Dukeofearl, Oct 06, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Presentation: Poured from a 1pt 0.9oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep black, can't see through it at all. Lightly colored tan head, made of very fine foam, maybe 1/4" thick.

Smell: Chocolate of course, maybe some coffee also in there.

Taste: Tastes like a pretty good stout. Stouts aren't my favorite style, but I like them once in a while. This one definitely is sweet and smooth, with nice chocolate in the aftertaste.

Notes: Bought for $2.50. Not bad at that price. I'll try it again I suppose, but there are other stouts higher up on the list.

TurdFurgison, Oct 02, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +4%

Edge of the Universe black. Put it up to the light and still nothing comes through. Solid creamy brown head. Smokey sweet chocolate smell, nice but linear/one-dimensional.

First sip: toasted. Second sip: toasted stout. Third sip: stout. I get the chocolate, but not in the milk-chocolate way I was expecting. After I let it warm up a bit the chocolate comes through stronger. It tastes good though, maybe chocolate is overstating it a bit, but a pleasure to drink.

It is silky smooth (yes, true to the label) and very sweet. I will definately try again.

Hop2it, Sep 30, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

I reviewed Young's Double Chocolate Stout once before, but I don't think I was ready to appreciate it at the time; however, now that I've delved more deeply into the world of stouts and porters, I think I'll give it another shot.

This is probably the best-looking beer I've ever had. It pours an almost opaque black that's capped by an extremely creamy chocolate-colored head. But the best part is the effect given by the carbonation as it's reabsorbed into the liquid: it looks like an hourglass, the brown bubbles "falling" down into the black abyss at the bottom of the glass.

Smells of coffee and chocolate, but not very strongly. Tastes and feels watery, like Guinness meets Newcastle. Very disappointing. Again, a very slight bit of coffee and chocolate, and a pleasant roasted bitterness, but there's just not a lot here.

Well, when I saw what it looked like, I was sure I was going to love it, but not so. Beautiful, thin, and boring--Young's Double Chocolate Stout would be popular in high school.

battlekow, Sep 27, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours black with a tall tan head that laces well
Its aroma is roasty and malty.
The flavor is not quite what I expected, judging by its name. It’s mostly of roasted malt, yet has bitter and sweet chocolate near the finish.
Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and is quite creamy.

Don’t be scared off by its name if you are not a fan of super sweet stouts. I passed this one up many times due to its name, but now I see the error that I had made by ignoring this one. Definitely worth checking out.

Naes, Sep 27, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer poured out a very dark brown. Not quite black but dark enough. It had a three finger head when poured with good retention. The mouthfeel is fairly good too. It has a little bite to it. Not as smooth as some beers but I would buy it again. The smell is sharp as well. I really like the thick, creamy head. The drinkability of this beer is somewhat decreased by the bite but overall I would recommend it to a dark beer type of person.

Enola, Sep 26, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +9%

Poured out a black as used motor oil color with a light brown, creamy head. There was very little lace left over. It appears to have ample carbonation. The bottle indicated a best b4 March 06.

The smell is like pumpernickel bread at first, followed by burnt malt and coffee beans. There is also something sweet in the smell too.

The taste is chewy toffee with a burnt malted flavor and bitter chocolate. There is a slight aftertaste of hops. This stout is very good.

abcsofbeer, Sep 24, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

14.9 floz. nitro can

Appearance: When it was first poured, it was black on top and brown on the bottom. When it settled it went with the jet black color with a small amount of ruby highlights. It had a creamy tan colored head of foam the measured somewhere between 1 to 2 inches that left lots of lace. When first poured, I also saw the carbonation bubbles pop on top of the foam. A true delight!
Smell: It had an aroma of sweet dark chocolate, little caramel, and some burnt coffee. It smelled like it says on the can, double chocolate.
Taste: It had a pleasant taste of dark chocolate, malt, and some roasted coffee beans. If you like coffee with chocolate in it, this your beer.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and with a dry roasted coffee aftertaste. This beer gets better when it warms up.
Drinkability: A wonderful milk/sweet stout that you can drink all day, due to the low alcohol content. The price was also reasonable at a little less than $2 for a 14.9 oz can of this delicious beer.

AltBock, Sep 22, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a dark, opaque color with a lighter head and good retention. I detect aromas of different varieties of chocolate and cocoa. Very pleasing. My first taste is a blast of chocolate and expresso. As the brew warms, the other characteristics become apparent; a slight nutty flavor with more distinct coffee undertones. I get a rich, bitter-sweet aftertaste that leaves me wanting more. The lower alcohol content for this beer prevents the 'warming' sensation typical of this style. Overall, a very good beer with reasonable complexity and a taste that can be overpowering at times, that's why I'm not scoring it as high in the taste department.

jaluria, Sep 21, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +5%

Best Before 2/06

Very black beer with a thick, creamy tan head about 3/4" thick...

Sticks great to the glass. Good lacing.

A very nice looking beer with a good combo of large and small bubbles.

Super aroma. Chocolate, maple, hops, dark roast coffee, caramel.

Great dark chocolate flavor. A touch of hops. Dry finish. A thick beer. Had a touch of raspberry.

Overall very good.

Fugazme, Sep 20, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -6%

Pours a dark off black color with an amber hue, has a creamy biege head, and no carb action.

Has a sweet caramel malt smell with a resin and orange hops aroma.

Lightly/moderately sweet/acidic/bitter, milk chocolate, and caramel malt taste with some coffee and a resin and orange hops flavor.

Medium bodied, dry and creamy texture, no carbonation, and a smooth slightly metallic/astringent finish.

Very balanced for a nitro and seems some what light for the nomenclature however has a balanced finish and good for a session.

Troyone, Sep 19, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours black with dark ruby edges. Dense beige head settles to a solid 1/2".

Sweet milk chocolate pudding. Dark roasted malts with a bitter twinge. Dominant chocolate notes once again.

Sweet milky chocolate (catch the trend?) with a faint bitter finish. Not much roastedness comes through in the layers of chocolate flavors. There is a nicely appointed semi-dryness to cap things off.

Mouthfeel is a little thin but still very creamy and lush nonetheless. Medium body with a long, lingering finish.

Drinkability is good. I wouldn't mind having a couple of these, but I believe the sweetness might become a tad bit too much.

Overall a very flavorful and definitely chocolaty stout. There are no coffee flavors (maybe mocha latte) in this stout, just layers upon layers of chocolate. I remember having this on tap a couple years ago and liking it more than this nitro can.

malty, Sep 11, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

16.9 oz crown top bottle. Best before 8/05; sampled in 9/05.

Impressions start with the bottle, and this one feels heavy and solid. As a homebrewer I'm glad to have it for refilling later. I'm a puzzled, however, by the CAMRA logo on the neck - as far as I can tell, this is not a bottle conditioned beer, and I thought fermentation in the serving vessel was a requirement of CAMRA.

That's enough rabbit chasing - what about the beer?

There is no nitro-widget in this bottle, so it is delivered as yeast intended. The tan head hangs on like mousse and is creamy and smooth all by itself.

Creamy, coating mouthfeel is delightful. The taste first reminds me of a chocolate covered coffee bean. Roast malt shows up next as sort of a coarse bitterness, but it balances so wonderfully with the sweetness of this beer. I'm sure there are hops in this beer somewhere, but to my palate, they are overshadowed by the dark malt and dark chocolate.

Although the bottle lists this at 5.2% ABV, it drinks a little bigger. There is a slight pleasant alcohol warming that I usually only notice in bigger beers.

Although I think my words are not capturing the moment very well, this is a really great beer that would be welcome in my kegerator any time. well, more so in the fall and winter, I think. It is a little rich and thick for the Florida summer.

bubrewer, Sep 07, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

I've had this beer several times in the bottle and enjoyed it (though I have yet to review it), so I was interested in trying the nitro can variety. Ooooh, that sound. Cracks open with a Star Trek airlock door hiss followed by a nitro released whistle. Bad ass.

The beer pours with a great creamy chocolate head due to the nitro. I love watching the nitro separate out into the espresso looking foam. The beer itself is a nearly opaque black. Looks great.

The smell suffers a bit from the nitro, it seems. Smells very mild, but has a light chocolatey malt character. Smells like a Guiness Extra Stout or a Newcastle, almost.

The taste like cocoa. The nitro seems to affect the taste negatively until well after the pouring, particularly until the beer begins to warm up a bit. When the nitro is still fresh, the beer can be held in the mouth yet not tasted until the swallow. As it finally warms, however, it is rich and sweet.

The mouthfeel is very velvety and rich. Leaves a foam on the upper lip with each tip of the glass. Becomes less creamy and velvety as the nitro dissapates.

A good drinkable stout. I prefer it in the bottle, but the nitro is an interesting change of pace.

neonbrown82, Sep 03, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3%

This wonderful beer has been my beer of choice for the past month or so. I hated the idea of nitro stouts after too many bland, off Guinesses. This has restored my faith and must be what Ireland was after when they came up with the idea.

The fullness of the malts along with the ridiculous cream and the finishing sweetness make this beer a truly satisfying yet strangely drinkable beer.

Recommened, and readily availble.

EmoBeerGuy, Sep 02, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Beautiful stout, opaque black with a nice lingering half-inch head, heavy lacing down the sides of the glass. Smell is mellow but rich, with roasty, coffee-chocolate aromas coming through.

This is wonderful in the mouth, with a smooth-as-silk, creamy texture. The taste is layered, with a bit of up-front sweetness and alcohol over a strong roasted-grain background, creating an overall impression of a strong coffee with a shot of dark chocolate. Finishes much drier, with a perfect lingering bitterness again reminiscent of good coffee--it makes the mouth water for more. I was sad to see the last of this go down.

Melchizedek, Sep 01, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +5%

Outstanding! The aroma of roasted grain and chocolate say hello as you happily pour this black, creamy, tan headed, outstanding stout into your glass. Extremely smooth and chewy with a nice sweet malt flavor. I would highly recommend this but I do believe Rogue has them beat….barely.

This is one that I will definitely go back to when I am in the mood for a chocolate stout and after trying this, that may be more often than I have in the past!

Caesar1pup, Aug 28, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a deep deep dark brown (near black) with a large puffy tan head.

Aroma gives hints of chocolate, not as much as I remembered. A hefty bit of malt, with a bit of berries on the tail end.

Strong mocha bitterness in the taste... lots and lots of chocolatey yumminess in this one.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, but I was hoping for a bit more creaminess here.

All in all, quite inoffensive and drinkable, but I'll stick with the Choc. from Rogue.... a bit more complex IMO.

nickss, Aug 25, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2%

appearance: There really isnt anything much better than the pour from a nitro can, drinking this out of a bottle is borderline disrespectful. Pours dark black with a perfect creamy tan head that is thick as hell and long lasting. Its just glorious looking.

smell: quite sweet and creamy smelling, nothing terribly over the top but perhaps the great layer of foam is obstructive

taste: chocolate chip cookie cake was the first thing that came to mind. sweet creamy and downright tasty.

mouthfeel: thick and creamy, just the way I like it

I forgot how good these things were from the nitro-can

dirtylou, Aug 22, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -6%

Presentation: Label states that it's "best by" 1/06.

Appearance: Pours black as night with a perfect two finger creamy and sudsy tan head.

Smell: Dried cheeries, cocoa powder, musty, earthy roasted barley. Creamed coffee and chocolate syrup on the nose with some agitation.

Taste: Cocoa powder, hazelnut, light roasted coffee, and a touch of heavy whipping cream. Nicely blended and maybe a little light on the flavor. Finishes with a powdery sweetness. Somewhat porter like in terms of it's heavy handedness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with just a touch of carbonation to keep it lively on the palate.

Drinkability: Perfectly poundable. Not too heavy but a nicely done beer. A good cross-over beer. Recommended.

mattcrill, Aug 20, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour reveals very impressive cascading effect, to form a thick tan head that sticks like nothing else, and a nearly opaque black body...definately a beauty. Aroma reveals subtle hints of unsweetened dark chocolate, roasted malt and a slight hops presence. The taste is a lot blander than i remember, it may be the can or this sample may be old, but this is watered down and not as chocolatey as i remember it. Taste begins with a light cocoa powder taste, followed by a slightly roasted barley flavor and a clean and lightly bitter roasted finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth with low carbonation.

silver0rlead, Aug 16, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

While wandering through BevMo today I came accross this beer... it's been a while since I had it and thought I'd give it another go!

appearance: Dark, dark black with slight ruby outline in a straight sided pint glass. Head is about an inch thick, rich and creamy tan/off white. The head hold up very well. pretty average for a stout from a nitro-can.

smell: you can really smell the chocolate! I also detected slight prune aroma as well as the slight touch of alcohol. Smells of toast.

taste: My favorite part!! The chocolate does not hit you right away, but after it fades into a nice toasty after taste you can taste the dark chocolate, almost like a cooking chocolate. Slight bitter alcohol taste on the back of my tongue. very desert-like, I could probably only handle a couple of these at a time, but a very pleasant beer!

Mouthfeel: very smooth and creamy, light on the palate, you'd expect such a chocolately stout to be a bit heavier...

Drinkability: I'd say it's average to above average... it's a great desert beer but one is probably enough!

This is a great beer! I always seem to like the stouts from a nitro can... this is worth a try for sure, and maybe a second and third try!! haha!

loving44, Aug 10, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3%

presentation: 1pint .9us fl oz bottle with a purple, silver, white and black label. real dark chocolate is used in the brewing process according to the label. best before date: oct. 05. "brewed in london" and an abv of 5.2% are displayed on the label.

appearance: pours super dark black with dark brown highlights in a tulip glass. very good two finger caramel colored fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

smell: overwhelming chocolate and coffee with a touch of alcohol. sweet dark fruits.

taste: more chocolate and coffee but not overwhelming. sweet with light bitterness and a roasty finish. some noticible alcohol as the brew warms. tasty but not overly complex.

mouthfeel: creamy, but a lighter body than a lot of stouts. i'd like for it to be a little thicker. low carbonation mostly noticable after the swallow. swallow just average.

drinkability: dispite an average mouthfeel, the drinkability is good, obviously due more to the aroma and taste. excellent dessert beer. could get old, though.

overall: a decent chocolate stout. i do prefer others, however. if this is your style, then a must try.

Px2GrafX, Aug 06, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from 14.9 oz can with a date of August 05 on the bottom. It poured an almost black. Creamy head was really thick, then settle to about a quarter inch. Smell of chocolate, though not overpowering. Other aromas including coffee and mocha. Taste, not real chocolatey as expected. Somewhat sweet without bitterness. Seemed a bit thin. I served it a bit too cold, aromas and taste livened up toward the end as it warmed.

Overall I enjoyed this stout and would drink one again after dinner sometime.

tsmthrs, Jul 31, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass from the1 pint 0.9 fl. oz. bottle with a notched best by date of Oct. '05. The beer is black, no other way to say it. I held it to the light, nothing really gets through. There is also a nice thick light brown head, about 1 1/2 inches that fell to, well, a nice 1/4 inch thick light brown head as the beer was consumed. Good thick lacing to the end.

Smell: Fully what I expected, this beer did not disappoint. Roasted malt, aroma of chocolate. Robust smell, gets better as the beer warms.

Taste: Roasted malt, nice and chocolaty, but not sweet. There is a firm bitterness at the finish, providing a good balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied. Smooth, silky, a little creamy with a nice bitter bite at the finish.

Drinkability: This is outstanding, leaves me craving another. I imagine this would be outstanding with any number of deserts, or as desert itself. Just a nicely balanced stout that was really enjoyable, recommended, especially for serving after a nice meal, or as a stand alone night cap.

BigRedN, Jul 28, 2005