Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,247 | Reviews: 2,300
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Nitro can poured into a pint glass.

A: Near black in color with soft brown hues. Fluffy tan head pours two fingers thick. Good retention. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Roasted coffee bean. Rich dark chocolate. Caramel malts. Soft dark fruit.

T: Rich and bitter dark chocolate and coffee dominate the front end of this brew. Sweet caramel malts and roasted grain are followed by a soft dark fruit presence and a biscut like taste. Burnt chocolate and more roasted coffee finish slightly dry.

M: Smooth and rich. Minimal carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: A nice desert beer. Creamy and rich without being to heavy which makes drinkibility high. Recommended.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout pours a rich brown black with a thin head. Extra points for filling my Samuel Smith pint glass perfectly to the top. Aroma is sweet, creamy chocolate and astringent roasted malts. Taste is more chocolate, nice and creamy with dark roasted malts apparent. The bitterness seems to come largely from the dark malts. I like the flavor, I think it could just use a little more sweet malt background to complement the roasty chocolate flavor.

3.64/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: It pours from the can like chocolate milk, in about 30 seconds an inch and a half creamy head forms. The nitro can makes this a damn beautiful beer.

Smell: Malty, with a touch of chocolate in the background. I strangely don't smell the chocolate until the very end of the whiff. There is a strange damp smell that I cannot place. The smell is good, but not amazing.

Taste: Creamy, malty, with a good taste of chocolate milk. There is a touch of bitterness but the flavors are fairly muted. There are nice coffee background flavors, but overall - a little above average.

Mouthfeel: Velvety and...thin? With the smallest touch of carbonation. Yet again, the texture is good but not amazing.

Drinkability: This is easy to drink, and is fairly low alcohol. If I had more, I would perhaps have another.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout pours a big rocky tan
head over an opaque black brew. Carbonation seems pretty
active and the nose riding in all those big fat bubbles is of
dark malts, bakers chocolate, and yeast. The flavor is un-
sweetened chocolate up front with a grassy hop finish. The
mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, and also quite crisp and dry.
It's not a bad stout, but when you're used to a bigger flavor
it's a bit of a letdown. It's certainly worth a try, and with an
alcohol by volume of only 5.2% quite sessionable as well.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Served on tap at City Beer in SF.

A: Jet black with a huge and incredibly creamy and thick head. The entire glass is filled with the head after the initial pour, it takes several minutes for it to settle. The head remains on the beer the entire time, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

S: Roasted malts with the hint of chocolate.

T: Lots of dark roasted malt mixed with slightly burnt and bittersweet chocolate. There are some mild hops that add an interesting complexity to the brew. The chocolate is not overpowering but rather subtle.

M: Incredibly rich, chewy, thick and silky smooth, like drinking a well-blended shake.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Out of nitro can into a room temperature fluted glass on a friday night on my deck...

A - a beautiful dark body, and a large, creamy, frothy light brown head that laces appropriately and lasts through the entire glass.

S - I will give them credit here, it has a nice aroma. While light, it has a nice toasted flair with a milk chocolate and coffee backbone.

T - unfortunately, the taste does not match, certainly not in intensity, with the wonderful nose. It falls flat here, and I firmly believe, unless you are just a chocolate stout fan, this is an average tasting beer. It's initial presentation is slightly sweet, with a faint chocolae undertone, and an ultra short finish. (which does add to it's drinkability)

M - a medium body with a very light, watery (read:non-oily, like an imperial stout would) mouthfeel. Carbonation is non-existent.

D - Keep in mind this is a nitro-can from across an ocean. I wouldn't think the bottle is better, or even as good, but would love to have a shot at this brew fresh from the source. This is not a sipping beer, it is a pub beer t go enjoy in a group, and maybe in high quanitities. That's the place for this, because most people can't have 10% ABV beers and make it more than an hour or so of lively company. So, there is a great place for this stout, and I think they did hit it on the head here.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a snifter. Big rocky brown head that floats atop a pool of jet black fluid. Disappears quickly.

Toffee, chocolate, and fruit in the nose.

Starts sweet. Sort of chocolatey but very mild for something called Double Choclate Stout (I was thinking more along the lines of Rogue's Chocolate Stout). Some fruit on the pallate. Medium bitterness with a slight acetic finish.

I like this beer but my expectations were much higher. If the aroma and taste matched the drinkability would be an outstanding beer.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Best by 13 Sep 07

Pours a black with some faint hints of light creeping through the edges. The head peeks at about one finger and settles slowly to a spotty cap and ring, leaving behind a decent lacing.

Smell; obviously the is chocolate and sweet malts, but I have to say that the aroma is a little much more subdued than I was expecting.

Taste; sweet malts and bittersweet chocolate, with a touch of sour in the background. As this warms the beer gets better, which is good since i wasn't all that thrilled at first.

The mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for a stout, but the drinkability is pretty good.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%

This is my first beer review and so I thought I'd do it on what is in my opinion my first "real" good beer. I had this when in NYC at this resturaunt called Max Brenner, a place specializing in chocolate. For a while I thought drinking Corona and Hieneken was the greatest thing ever, thank god I found this website. Anyways on to the beer!
I was served this in a 1pt 6oz bottle with a frosted glass which I let warm up a little. It poured a nice dark black reminding me of guinness. Not much head but about 1/2 head was retained and left lacing on the glass.
The smell, although a little hard to remember was of roasted malts and chocolate, I think I wouldn't mind having an air freshener of this smell.
The taste was very unexpected. I've drank alot of Guinness because my best friend loves it and buys alot of it. But this is not as bitter and nutty, its very smooth and reminds me more of a dark ale than a stout at first. But then again I'm new at this, so I'm still finding out what to look for when I taste a beer. I very much liked the taste, it went well with my sandwich and chocolate cake desert.
I'm not really sure what mouthfeel really is supposed to mean, but if I had to I'd say it was very smooth, perhaps a little thicker than most lagers/ales but not so much that it absolutely dominates your mouth.
I coud definately drink several of these, its definately great with deserts or just by itself FOR desert. I looked for this the moment I got back to Albany and found it at Oliver's Beverage.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Poured a very deep dark brown, really could not be any darker without turning black. Huge off white head with lots of good lace down the glass till the very end.

S - Smell was very strong, rich creamy milk chocolate, with lots of hidden spices and other subtle aromas. A hint of hops possible on the back.

M & T - Wow, very first impression was of a chocolate ice cream flaot, very much a dessert beer in taste, wow. A bit thin on the feel though, would have throught it would have been a bit more robust. Nice carbonation made it feel frothy when going down. As it warmed, hints of root beer and hops started to present themselves and round out the taste profile very nicely.

D - Overall a very nice dark session beer. A little light compared to its big brothers in the field, but a fine brew none the less. It was nice to be able to put it down with feeling too full and falling down at the end which was definatly a plus.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Appearance - Dark and black with thick foamy head.
Smell - Smell the chocolate. The sweetness is right in the nose.
Taste - If you couldn't tell by the smell that it was going to be sweet you do now. Actually, sweeter than I expected.
Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy - lmost like a thin milkshake.

This was my first experience with YDCS and it was very good. As I've said, I bit sweeter than I expected. Definitely need to take this into account and decide if the time and/or pairing is right.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I poured this from the Bomber Bottle (well, close... lable says: 1Pt 0.9US fl. oz.; so I'm assuming it was about 17oz bottle... probably 1/2 Litre). It poured out a rich black... completely opaque even when held up to a bright light source. The beer was vibrant and immediately formed a 2" head which slowly dissipated to about 1/4" cap leaving thick clumps of lacing on the glass.

The smell was.... "hey.... where's the smell??!!... maybe it's because I bleach cleaned my deck last night....might have killed my sense of smell... temporarily, I hope!

The taste was very good. Starts with a sweetness, somewhat chocolate-like... but also with bready/yeasty overtones. Then a fairly pronounced bitterness follows.... and lingers.

Mouthfeel was nice and rich... appropriate for the style.... not as thick as a Russian Imperial.... but just a little chewey. Carbonation was also appropriate.... not too high.... not too low... on the low side of average.

Drinkability was fine. At 5.2% ABV... it is a good beer to enjoy all evening long. You can probably toss back 5-6 pints over the course of an evening without feeling any ill effects. PROST!

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%

My first chocolate Beer, with actual chocolate in it. (Not just chocolate malts)

It smelled like fresh baked chocolate cookies. It smelled like dark roasted malts were present.

From looking at it, it obviously had the dark roasted malts that I had smelled. It was black/ dark dark brown. Tan or biege head, that lasted for a few minutes, but didn't leave much lace.

Flavours of chalky dark chocolate, and some roasty toasty malt. Not a really sweet Beer (a good thing). Not too astringent either.

Mouthfeel was nice. It was velvety smooth. Low carbonation. Med-heavy bodied.

Overall, I like it and I will have it again sometime, though next time I will split the bottle with a good friend. A good Beer for a small, quiet social gathering, because it's a tasty sipping Beer.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Started with the bottle on this one as was very happy. Have since tried the can with the same results.

Appearance - Dark ebony with a mocha colored thick head.

Smell - Almost smelled nothing...no skunk, no hops, no alcohol. After a litte warming up, the nice aromas of chocolate started to surface.

Taste - Thick flavors of soft dark chocolate. Smooth with a little maltiness.

Mouthfeel - Very light carbonation, nice full body.

Drinkabillity - Tasty. I'll definitely take another. Nice treat that I've been picking up more than passing up when it catches my eye at the liquor store.

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

A friend of mine bought a whole case of this stuff in nitro-cans and I went halfsies with him because it was rather expensive. I drank of a lot of these cold from the fridge and found I couldn't really taste anything, so this review is on a can that's a little warmer.

Pours opaque black into a 16 oz pint glass (I drank the other 0.9 oz right from the can) with a creamy froth. Visually, this is identical to a pint of Guinness from a can. The aroma, however, is a different story altogether. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with chocolate. While drinking, I realize this stout is a little thinner than I'd like it to be. It's watered down... kind of like Guinness from a can. The chocolate flavor is great, and it's followed by a slight bitter tang. But I'd be loving this if it were richer and creamier.

I'd like to try it on tap or at least from the bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%

16.9 oz nitro-can, poured into a pint glass.

A: Jet black with an inch of tiny tan bubbles that last forever.

S: Nesquick, Hershey's syrup, chocolate bars...you get the idea.

T: Not as chocolatey as the aroma (thankfully), but definite chocolate malt, smoothly followed by a slight hop astringency at the end.

M: Creamy yet light.

D: An excellent dessert beverage! Not so heavy that it'd kill you at the end of a meal, and nicely sweet to complement the final course of the night.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is the world's most popular sweet stout. Stout and chocolate just make sense together.

After the pour the most immediate thing you notice is the frothy head. There seems to be a lot of carbonation too. The color is a thick black. The aroma is milk chocolate with some grain. The taste is full of chocolate and a slight hop bite. The taste actually improves as it warms up.

I was drinking the 500mL bottle, I remember it being better in the nitro-can - more creamy.

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance- When obtained in a can, this is the most gorgeous pour that I have ever seen. When poured into a pint glass, you can see that there is a shade that appears between the dark body of this brew and its creamy head. It is a kind of rusty brown that kind of waterfalls down into the rest of the body. If you have not seen how this one pours, YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT. Something that I noted is that it is not as dark, in color, as most of the stouts that are on the market. It looks creamy and delicious; almost like a milkshake.

Smell- Most notable aromas are of dark chocolate and cream. There are hints of nuts, possibly almonds, and coffee.

Taste- Hands down the most delicious beer that has ever hit my palate. NO SHIT!!!! I never thought I would say that about any single beer. Seeing as how the cream stout is my favorite beer style and that this is (by far) my favorite stout, I could fairly call this my favorite beer.

Mouthfeel- Thick and creamy. Halfway between a Guinness and a chocolate milkshake.

Drinkablilty- Like most heavy stouts, I wouldn't drink this one to get drunk. Never in my life, however, could I picture myself turning one of these down at any point in the day.

3.86/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 14.9 oz can into a glass. Pours dark brown with a chocolate milk shaded head. The head is nice and lasted the whole time I was drinking it. Smells of chocolate and a bit of cofee, not to strong or complex, but nice. No surprises in the taste. It feels very milky and silky and goes down quite easily. I like it, but it lacks a bit of complexity, but it's a very, very drinkable stout. And you can't go wrong for the price.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap, where I enjoy it occasionally. Can't say I feel the same for it bottled.
A very dark brown beer with a sizeable tan head. Nice retention, and some spotty lacing. Any guess what the aroma is predominantly of? Yes, it's chocolate. It has a lightly roasty smell, but chocolate predominates. Even that is somewhat more subdued than expected. I decide to ignore the beer for a bit and let it warm, which improves the aroma (and flavor) markedly.

Flavor again has a good deal of what you'd expect. There is a light vanilla flavor and a pleasant bitterness, though I wish there was more of a roasty quality. Also glad this isn't sweeter, though I guess if tinkered with you could make that work with this beer too. It's good, not great, and as it is not that sweet it can work as more than just a dessert beverage (although I rarely recall having it as anything but)
Hard not to be disappointed in the mouthfeel. I recall liking the bottled version even less in this respect. In a word - thin. Maybe they found a fuller bodied beer was too much due to the strength of the chocolate, but whatever - I still wish there was more to this.

Quite drinkable...one glass, that is. Another? I'll pass for tonite.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

All i can say is wow... poured black with a creamy off-white head that stayed with the beer until the very end. rich creamy chocolately flavor and smell but not overpowering. finished smooth and left me wanting another one. highly recommended. by far, the best beer i've had yet

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

I was able to enjoy this on tap at the old Young's Brewery. I am told this is the only place in all of the UK where I can enjoy Dbl. Chocolate Stout on tap - I am very lucky indeed!

Obviously it has a very dark color; it has a very thick, creamy head the color of light brown sugar. The aroma is sweet and full of chocolate. The taste is complex with a full array of flavors; not just chocolate as the name suggests, but also a slight toffee and (I think!) slightly nutty. It is very smooth and rolls around in your mouth. It has a strong malty taste but is balanced with just the right touch of hops. I highly recommend getting this on tap - the canned and bottled versions, even with the widgets, do not do this justice. INCREDIBLE!

** I only don't rate the drinkability higher because it is so filling I do not think I could drink more than 2 in one sitting and not feel full!

4.06/5  rDev +1%

The beer pours a rich dark brown color. The head cascades up the glass arousing the sense of anticipation. When the bubbles finally settle they leave you with a rich, smooth, tan head. The aroma is filled with chocolate, vanilla and coffee. The taste follows along those lines. The chocolate is subtle, vanilla envelopes the palate and you're left with a toasted coffee aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth, and rich. The carbonation from the nitro can is perfect for this style, not too much but just enough so that it is not flat. The drinkability is good, but I'm not one to drink too many of these in one sitting.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Bottle. Yep, chocolate. Double chocolate. Poured dark brown with big tan head. Despite the chocolate, the hops still are clear and good. Great palate. Good nose. Good all the way around. I have laid in a stock of these now that Young’s is gone. It is going to be hard to drink the last one. Sort of like eating the last Passenger Pigeon.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

Purchased a single 500ml bottle (no widget) in Laurel, MD for $3.79.

A- Pours jet black, almost opaque, with a thick medium-brown head.

S- Scented chocolate (of course!), hints of coffee.

T- Very sweet, chocolate, coffee, but with a medium-dry finish. No taste of alcohol.

M- Very carbonated, too fizzy for the style.

D- Once in a while the beer is fine, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

I have had this before in the UK, and several years ago in the US. I was expecting it to have a stronger flavor. It must be the recent Imperial Stouts I sampled recently.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd