Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Young's Double Chocolate has a love cult and I've heard its followers moan in exultation by just a mention of the name. So far my only interaction with this beer has been ignored nitro-taps and stale nitro-cans in the back of the cooler for a few seasons. Too cold, too flat in flavor, too bulldozed by forced gas.

It was with interest that I recently found a fresh pint bottle of this beer, and in new graphics and bottle shape for 2005. Its black with brown edges, starting with a chunky mocha head but possessing no persistence. At times it would leave lace, not often, though.

Smells of thick dollops of caramel over baker's chocolate and coffe-inflected chocolate malt. Sweet and puffy like a stout souffle, yet nutty and alive.

Not complex but a session beer of easy malt, soft yeast character, softer mouthfeel, and plenty of chocolate in both barley and cocoa forms. Nutty in the finish and balanced mostly by roast bitterness but with some earthy hop underneath.

Finally without nitrogen and finally understood, this is a great session stout. I don't know what I was expecting, I think the nitrogen is a major minus for my funny palate.

nomad, Dec 08, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

This slides out of the bottle like ram's blood, leaving a tan head that quickly dissipates.

The smell is burned caramel fondue.

This is a silky terrific mouthfeel - almost like Guinness, verging on flat. Then there is the most subtle milky cream smokiness that finished like cold unsweetened coffee and a bite of a bittersweet chocolate bar. A dryness then hits your mouth ans you must drink more. This occurs until the glass is empty.

This is not an in your face brew, that you have to choke down with a smile while you swear its great; this really is great.

For once the writing on the bottle does not lie- this beer is a silky luxury.

andjusticeforale, Dec 08, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a slight amber highlight. Has about a 2 finger creamy head.

Smell: Roasted Malt, Chocolate, Coffee. Also pick out a slight Alcohol smell.

Taste: Starts of with a chocolate taste that moves on to roasted malt and ends with a coffee taste. There is also a sweetness that lurks throughout but it is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Thick and slightly chewy mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation to go along.

Drinkability: Very drinkable.

This is my second Young’s beer and I like it a lot. This is a great stout which is very rich and creamy and would go great by itself or with dessert.

bahumutx, Dec 05, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

A nice sweet stout, though a little pricey. I think I'd take left hand over this just for the price of a bottle (don't think I can get any others around here).

Looks good coming out of the bottle and into the pint glass. Near black with a good tan head. Not much lacing or head to soon speak of.

Smells great--deep roasted chocolate and coffee, creamy, with some molasses. Occasionally got a hint of cherry?

Taste is dissapointing and doesn't follow up on the smell. Some carbonated attack and a bit of nutty, bready malt, but just not a full taste. Slightly astringent finish, so it's not too sweet.

Mouthfeel was average. Hoping for something a little fuller and chewier.

Good drinkability, but like most dessert beers, I'd probably be fine with just one. Plus I don't see the taste reward for the volume I'd be drinking!

fromage, Dec 03, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

16.9 oz bottle, best before April 06.
Served at 57 degrees in a pint glass.
Dark, almost black, with ruby tinges and a creamy coffee colored head.
Decent lacing.
Aroma is roasty coffee and chocolate.
Flavor is sweet, roasted malt, chocolate and a sharp lactic acid aftertaste.

Padron4KM, Dec 03, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

poured out very dark with a small 1 finger head. The head was a dark kaki color with very small bubbles, kind of like pond foam.
The can says to serve cool not cold. I let it sit out for about an hour an I think it might have been a little too long, my stout was a little undrinkable. The aroma was definately dark bitter chocolate with malt undertones. To me it also smelled earthy. The mouth feel was very smooth almost milk-like, not really what I was expecting but still ok. The taste was great. it tasted just like it smelled, aslo some honey and hops. It would be hard for me to drink this all the time but it makes for a nice treat every once in a while.

ToggleEyes, Dec 02, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

I poured a 16.9 oz. brown bottle and into the trusty, Baldwin-Wallace College standard pint glass.

The beer poured a very dark brown color with a finger of tan head that dissipated to a thin, bubble film and left fine lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma is very solid with a nice, big dark chocolate nose. The flavor has the chocolate again, some alcohol hints there (with only 5.2%?) and some faint fruitiness. This is a full bodied brew, but this beer's drinkability is drug down by the sweetness and body. I don't know how many of these I could suck down in a sitting, but what a pleasure it is to drink to drink just one. Going to cupboard to grab a chunk of dark chocolate now...

edmundfitzoil, Nov 30, 2005

Pours a dark brown with slight orange highlights. Smells of chocolate and espresso with some citrus. Tastes of cocoa with a nice malt sweetness and a white grape sourness with a pure chocolate finish. It’s full in the mouth but slides quickly across the tongue with light carbonation.

DarkerTheBetter, Nov 29, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Can't say I was much impressed with this one. Poured out to a dark black coffee color that seemed much thinner than other Milk Stouts i've had. Lower carbonation yielded a small cream colored film on top of the beer. Aroma was chocolatey and sweet, with some roasted malt afterthoughts. Taste was average; some chocolate mixed with roasted wood notes and some heavy malt character toward the finish. Mouthfeel was too light for my taste, but had a touch of a chewy element to it. Overall, an average brew. I've had better, but this one isn't a bad example of the style.

Frozensoul327, Nov 28, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Pours with two fingers of lattecolored foam. The color is thick, dak brown,almost black. A distinct chocolate aroma with some flowers too. The taste is pretty straightforward chocolate with a bitter hoppiness in the end (or perhaps dark, bitter chocolate?). There is a note of coffee beans there as well. Maybe not as full-bodied as I had expected but surprisingly refreshing. Great stick your head out beer! I don't like the new, ugly bottle though.

JanM, Nov 28, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -8%

Typical nitro-can pour, looks great, black beer with a tan head. The aroma was mild, with hints of grainy maltiness and chocolate clearly present. The flavor was mild too; there was a hint of roastiness and a bittersweet character but not as strong as some bigger porters. There was some hop bitterness at the end with a stronger bitterness from roasted barley. Overall the beer wasn't as heavy as expected, it struck me as maltier than a Guiness Draught but not quite as roasty-bitter. Thanks to my buddy Brad for setting me up with this one.

KroMagnon, Nov 28, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Revisiting this beer today (25/11/05), this bottle's BBE date is 13 JUN 06.
A: in a goblet it pours a dark mahogany hue with a thick and fluffy tan head which settles quickly to a very thin layer of bubbles. The fizz is interesting, making a constant hissing sound and bringing to the surface lots of giant bubbles.
S: dark chocolate dominates the note, but not too astringent as real darkest chocolate, as the texture is rather creamy and soft; lightly roasted aroma follows, mixed well with a tinge of vanilla (powder), sourly sweet ripe black plum note, a little fruity perfume and a stream of earthy hops at the back. Overall the nose is very balanced and enticing, not bold nor exciting but really solidly chocolaty smooth and complex--if I may, it's like a pot of chocolate mousse placed on top of a cup of warm coffee.
T: it's like a mouthful of chilled chocolate milk with chewy bits of chocolates!! The flavour successfully merges the dark chocolaty edge with the lightly roasted maltiness and nuttiness, underlined by an implicitly imparted dark fruitiness with its slightly tartly-sweet edge, and a slightly woody touch on the sides of the tongue. Not much sticky mouthfeel nor much sugary sweetness is evident in the aftertaste, and the finish is just moderate, with residual aftertaste of a cup of very light coffee.
M&D: silky smooth and even creamy on the mouthfeel with a healthy kick of tiny fizz in every sip; the body of this stout is ideal, ever so light that the semi-rich chocolaty maltiness receives a sort of balance in the overall structure, and makes it all the more incredibly easy-drinking, even like a session stout! At 5.2%abv., this beer is a true winner in terms of balance and drinkability. A very solid brew!

wl0307, Nov 25, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3%

Pours a solid deep brown color with very light ruby hues to let me know its not black. Nose is cocoa, slight creamyness, light roast. Solid. Flavor followed that same path, dominated by cocoa and sweeter chocolate. Feel is moderate with a moderate to active carbonation. Just shy of thick. This is a solid beer all around, but drinkability is not as high as I would expect. Should be smooth and easy drinking, but the cocoa keeps me from being able to drink it like I want. Still, very nice.

kmpitz2, Nov 24, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A highly regarded product from Young's, back in my old stomping grounds in SW18, Wandsworth.
Color is a very attractive coal black with auburn outline and a beautiful bouquet with milk chocolate and malted grain sharing the honors. The head is thick and darker than most stout heads. An honestly original aroma with sweet and wholesome tones both. You can almost taste the lactose through the aroma..nice.
A high malt count in the taste with a full smack of roasted malt right on the
top of the mouth. The aftertaste is very smooth and mellow but with a sweet resonance.
This is pretty mint. If you like stouts or chocolate, you will likely enjoy this.

daliandragon, Nov 20, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance was nice. Very rich looking. Smell was nothing too spectacular but definitely a little above average. Taste is quite pleasent. Strong chocolate flavor and a good amount of sweetness, but not too sweet. This is one I would recommend to just about everybody. Nothing is too overpowering or strange about this beer so I think many people will like this beer regardless of their favorite style.

DrZarkov, Nov 19, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout has a great soft, uneven tan head that holds for a short while and leaves a lots lacing; it pours a deep dark brown/crimson. The aroma is very understated in my opinion. It has very wispy tones of chocolate and coffee. I was assuming big, bold fragrances.

Not very sweet compared to what I was expecting. I find that I would like it to be somewhat sweeter, but the malt is great in this stout. It has suggestions of cocoa and brule sugar. Not too hoppy (is that a word?).

I was presuming it to be thicker, but it is nice. Not as sweet as I expected, but again, nice. It is overall a much understated beer considering what the makers could have done with it. I could drink it for an entire night because it is very smooth and not too pungent. As you can see, I came into this beer having many expectations, the wrong expectations. This shows you that you need to have an open mind and don’t judge a beer by its label.

Mitchel, Nov 19, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

I have had this beer many times but now is the time to write a review. What I love about this stout is the chocolate is apparent in the nose and flavour but rather than making it sickly sweet, it instead works with the malt and coffee notes. This is a big beer that tastes fuller than its ABV suggests. The finish is actually quite dry and you never feel that all the flavour is too much.
Less bitterness than St Ambroise and less alcohol than most stouts of this caliber.

canucklehead, Nov 19, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2%

500ml bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a deep dark red/brown colour... Creamy tan head poured big and foamy and lasted quite a while...

Aroma - Dark bitter chocolate, slight smokiness, roast malts, coffee, slight nuttiness, hint of ginger...

Taste – Dark chocolate, nice bitterness, burnt sugar, slight earthiness, hints of fudge/toffee ?

Feel - Smooth and creamy, not that much carbonation...

Overall - An excellent stout. Highly recommended !!

mdagnew, Nov 17, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: very dark, with minimal head. head is a caramel-like colour

Smell: surprisingly average. i would have expected a more powerful aroma, but the smell did not amount to much.

Taste: strongest part of the beer. as soon as you ingest it, the chocolate and hops rush to the top of mouth. leaves a very crisp cocoa aftertaste. as a chocolate lover, i am glad to see how Youngs did a good job replicating that cocoa taste in the beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth around the mouth.

Drinkability: I could sit here all night and drink this beer. Very drinkable. However, those who do not particular enjoy stouts in general might not be into this beer. For the rest of you, enjoy!

tommy78, Nov 16, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I gotta tell you - this is a great stout. I am not sure why anybody would write a negative review other than disliking chocolate.
I have tried it out of a bottle as well as a nitro can, which I recommend because it leaves a nice thick medium-dark head, and it is really good either way. The color is pitch black with a chocolatey aroma. Tastes great, again with a chocolate aftertaste. It is smooth on your tongue. I recommend this stout to everyone.

stevegamburg, Nov 16, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Lovely, voluptously-shaped 500 ml bottle, with the silver on purple label.

A: Virtually opaque black garnet. with a huge bumpy rumbly dark tan head that sticks to the glass. Pretty. The sight says, "CREAMY"!

S: Burnt sugar on double cocoa-powder coated figs, all roasted and toasted. Malty malty malty. Very little if any hops noticeable to my nose.

T: I repeat: "Burnt sugar on double cocoa-powder coated figs, all roasted and toasted. Malty malty malty." However, there is a bit of hop balance here, with a metallic note. Despite all the sweetness, there is a definite dry finish. Nice. As the glass warms, some peppery notes rise, and the roasted bitterness comes along as well.

M: Not as creamy as I expected, but nice enough. Smooth, but not chewy thick.

D: Very drinkable. Very. The sweetness balances the bitterness just right.

Overall, a very enjoyable brew, worthy of its well-deserved accolades. I'll have another, please.

ColoradoBobs, Nov 16, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +9%

~Oh, how I love the whoosh of a nitro can. Poured into a mug, enjoy the cascade into a deep dark black-brown with a finger-width head, thick and lovely. I see a lot of people talking about lacing. If thats the frothy goodness sticking to the side of the glass, it does so quite nicely.
~Can smell the chocolate, and thats about it. My nose really isn't picking much up here. What I do smell is real good. Only after a while can a get a sense of roasted malts
~Tastes thick and creamy, very smooth, great experience all the way down.
~Chocolate and roasted malts are present right away, backs into a suble esspresso after-tone. And i say after-tone because I don't want to say aftertaste, for its more sublte than that. This seems to be a beer of subtle joys, for I like it a lot (er, always liked it a lot), and it balances the tastes quite well.
~Don't know that I'd sit down with a case of this, but it is a solid beer, very fun to drink, and generally puts me in a good mood.

objectivemonkey, Nov 16, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2%

A friend and I were into a huge stout kick this weekend. I got this one with several others.

Glad to have a freshness date on the bottle! Proves that the store keeps fresh stock, and/or that lots of people buy this.

Poured a great dark dark brown, almost black, with a cream-colored head that stuck around (maybe because I didn't give it time to diminish...), with some great lacing.

I smelled heavy-duty dark chocolate up front, followed immediately by toasted nuts, clean hops mixed with roasted malt. Sweet Lord...

The taste is not what I expected at all, which is not a bad thing. I didn't taste as much chocolate as I anticipated, but tasted plenty of toasted nuts and roasted malt for my liking. Nice hop presence throughout, balanced well by all of the toastiness.

This beer was lightly carbonated, and poured right down my throat with the consistency of silky chocolate milk. If only I knew as a child how good the adult version of "chocolate milk" would be!

Smittysguinness, Nov 14, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A 500 ml bottle. I love the different raised ram motifs on all of Young's bottles. Label has a best by date.

A robust creamy tan head over a black body. Good lace and head retention. Dark chocolate is dominates the aroma, but notes of roasted malt and vinous fruit poke through as well. The dark chocolate also seems to prevail in the taste, but is not nearly as pronounced as I had expected by the smell and name of this beer. Also taste some nuts and a slight hop bitterness. A tad smoky as well. Medium bodied-- definitely not as thick or sweet as I anticipated. Light and crisp in the mouth with a slightly drying finish.

This is definitely not the beer I thought it was going to be. A meatier body with a touch more sweetness would have helped its cause, but as it stands it is not overpowering and eminently drinkable.

Shovelbum, Nov 11, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a beautiful, dark color with a fine head, about one to one and a half fingers' width. Laces somewhat thick, due to frothy head. To be honest, the head on this beer was almost exemplary with its frothiness.

Smells of chocolate, which is quite convenient considering it has chocolate in it.

The taste and mouthfeel really go hand in hand for this brew; I couldn't get away from how rich it is. I wouldn't recommend it for a session beer, since I had a hard time finishing it. Basically, it's like beer's answer to cheesecake. Both are tasty, but extremely rich.

Therefore, the drinkability is quite low in my book. Just too rich. However, the chocolate taste was good; just take this beer in small samples.

mattdavis452, Nov 10, 2005