Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle. A deep dark color with a thick tawny head.
You can definately smell the chocolate in the beer. However, there wasn't as much chocolate taste as I expected, especially considering the name.
It was a little dry in the mouth and rated fairly well in the drinkability category.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured a rich black hue with a creamy off white two finger head. The stout featured good head retention and thick lacing. An overall nice and tempting appearance.

The smell consisted of a slight chocolate aroma with hints of caramel and a unpleasant metallic smell.

The taste was average and muted. The flavor did not jump out of the glass like in the case of an imperial stout. However, it was pleasant and suprisingly dry.

Mouthfeel, however, was a bit thick without the pleasure of a thick, rich taste. It coated the mouth with a dull sensation which lessened the desire for the next sip.

The poor mouthfeel and dull taste detracted from the beer's drinkability.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Poured a syrupy, black liquid out of a majestic looking 16.9oz bottle. Topped with a pillowy head colored a faint tan. Definitely does not skimp on the head, as it presents a full three fingers. Lacing is thick and abundant.

Smell: Thoroughly malty, and loaded with chocolate aromas. Very similar to chocolate syrup.

Taste: Decadent chocolate, and toasty malts. A subtle hop presence supplying a refreshing bitterness. A sort of milkiness, and a certain sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light-bodied. Very smooth and creamy with an ever so slight tingling.

Drinkability: Fine flavor, goes down easy, but not quite as complex as I would have liked. A greater diversity of flavor would have me running back for more.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Looks like your basic stout. Dark. Tawny head. A bit lighter than some I suppose.

Smell the chocolate? A little. Not as chocolatey as I expected for something billed as "Double" chocolate (chocolate malt, and, apparently, real chocolate).

Taste the chocolate? Yeah, a little. But it seems like I've had other brews that give more chocolate vibes (most recently, Summit Porter).

Feel the chocolate? Well, it's a nice smooth creamy feel.

Do I want to drink a lot of these? Wouldn't turn my nose, but there are others of this ilk that I like more.

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

I was excited when I poured Young's Double Chocolate; it is a very dark, very thick beer that almost looked like oil. The aroma was incredible and I was fully expecting a thick, creamy chocolate beer...Maybe it was just my usual expectation for something that's chocolate, but there is a definite bitterness to the beer that turned me off. I cringed a bit every swallow, and to me, that's not what I'm looking for in a beer. I think if Young's made this beer a bit milder, it would become an excellent beer.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

The bottled Young's is ok. The nitro-can is better. But if you try this beer on the proper nitro-tap setup at the right temperature...wow. Much like the mainline dry Irish stouts it has a tremendous "floor show" in the glass. Cascading creaminess. It had a extremely rich and thick head that added that finishing touch to the beer. The beer itself looked almost like blackstrap molasses in color. Wonderful undertones of chocolate malt. I got a hint of coffee on the nose. This beer goes down like a chocolate malt. Yummy for my tummy.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into my Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip from the bottle; I've been shying away from Young's ever since my first try of their Oatmeal Stout, which I didn't like at all. I've wanted to buy the Double Chocolate, but only recently stumbled across it in bottles instead of cans.

It's damn dark, and capped with a minimalistic head that leaves behind tiny spots of lacing; Poor retention, but an appealing shade of black.

The smell is warm with rich, decadent coffee and chocolate tones, a sweet dark brown kind of smell; There are slight hints of rummy alcohol, but the bittersweet caress of chocolate takes center stage.

Warming to the proper temperature allows all of this beer's strong, rounded flavors to burst forth. Definitely, definitely a chocolate flavored beer. But don't be scared! It's a chocolatey BEER, and there's definitely beer in the flavor, too! Rich, slightly roasty malts, bittering, slightly acidic hops, dark coffee and smooth cocoa.

Minimal carbonation save a bit of zip, a very slight tartness from the alcohol, but very smooth, very cool-feeling in the mouth even at an appropriate temp - it tempts me to drink deeply. It can be appreciated just as easily in deep gulps as in lazy sips.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Served from a brown 12oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass with a date of 26Jan06.

A: Very dark just the way you like your stouts to look. Nice
creamy head with lots of lace.

S: Cocoa and bittersweet chocolate with some alcohol notes.

T/M: The taste is almost the same as the smell but some kinda
wierd milk/lactic acid twang in the finish.

D: Very smooth and should appeal to those who might be afraid of
stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours black with a very creamy light chocolate brown head. Great retention and fantastic lacing. This a beauty!

Smell: From the moment I cracked the cap there is a fantastic dark chocolate aroma. I could appreciate a bit more aromatics but it is very good.

Taste: This is truly one of the most 'chocolaty' chocolate beers I have EVER had! Truly a work of art! It is not cloying in any way. It is remarkable easy. Roasted malts and hints of caramel and toasted butterscotch accompany the chocolate. Just a very subtle hop character keep the beer balanced.

Mouthfeel: Soo smooth and so creamy! It it thick and a bit chewy! A real treat.

Drinkability: This beer is so tasty ever single sip BEGS for more! I have had cases of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Even before BA I split a case of this beer with another BA friend of mine. At that time it was the best beer I had ever had. I must admit, I am now even more aware of just how amazing this beer really is. I highly recommend it!!!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Right, I am reviewing here, my favorite style. So admittedly I might be a bit biased. I am also generally a huge fan of Young's stouts anyway.

This one came from the can, which of course is not always as good as on tap. However, it has a great appearance. It has a nice dark color (as any stout should). And amazingly enough (sarcasm added) it has some what of a chocolate like color to it.

The smell: You can definitely pick up some milk scents and the usual stout malty scent. However, (again: surprise!) you do get a hint of Chocolate in there. The presence of Golding hops are also noticeable.

Taste: Fantastic. Not too much more to say about that. You pick up all the flavors. The hop flavors are nicely balanced and their bitterness is countered well with the chocolate. It has a slightly more dark chocolate taste than a milk chocolate. But, that should not be a surprise considering that Dark chocolate is more bitter.

Mouthfeel is really smooth. It is thick but also well rounded. Full bodied leaving nothing to be desired.

Very drinkable goes down easy and is very tasty.

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

Updated review as of 3/15/2006:

A - Looks like nitro Guinness, with a darker head.

S - Chocolatey, sweet.

T - Sweet. Almost cloying, lately it's been fading to a heavy metallic taste. Never noticed it before, maybe it's the aluminum can.

M - Can't beat nitro for thickness. If that's what you like.

D - If it wasn't so sweet, you could drink them all night.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured a dark black with a little ruby showing on the bottom edges. A thin lace layed on top, and for the most part disipated almost completly.

Smells delightful. Sweet and chocolate malt presents are strong. With a faint hint of coffee.

Chocolate upfront in the taste, followed by an acute burnt coffee aftertaste. Wasn't as great as I expected though.

I was a little dissapointed in the mouthfeel also. Thin and watery, and a bit too over-carbonated.

Meh, not really what I had expected. I personally wouldn't buy another bottle, but if the chance to try it on-tap arose, I probably would take it.

2.8/5  rDev -30.3%

pours a 40% head, served around 55F. I am generally not impressed with how non-bottle-conditioned british products arrive across the pond, but this beer has high ratings and I am happy to try a stout with promise - check my reviews before this product.. My bias is thus divulged.

Nose is with notes of chocolate and a sour bitterness typical of across-the-pond beers. On this alone the beer is in trouble - sourness seems to work on british products in bottle but is not a native part of taste.

Taste is sweet with some hop sourness culminating in a roasted sweet finish. I am not impressed with this beer and am not sure why it is so highly rated. aftertaste covers some bases with roasted sweet chocolate notes but the beer unfortunately meets my expectations for what happens to a british product over a few months in the bottles without any yeast to help it along.l

Being honest, I poured it out. There are more interesting things here to taste than a sour stout which is no inspiration.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Served warm from a 500ml bottle.

A: Pours black with a big frothy head with some good lacing.

S: Not much smell from this. Aromas of milk chocolate and roasted malt.

T: Subdued flavors of dark chocolate and espresso with a mild saltiness on the sides of the tongue. Mild wine-like tannins in the finish. The flavor is very good, I just don't think that there is enough of it.

M: Lightly carbonated and with a medium body, the label advertises correctly: "Silky smooth" "Rich and creamy"

D: This is a good beer, but probably not one that I would make an effort to find. I've had this once mixed with a raspberry ale in the black and tan style, and it made a very good chocolate raspberry beer.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a dark black with a half inch dark brown head that recedes but does not disappear until the beer is gone! It was full of a sweet chocolate aroma with the hint of bananas in there as well, very interesting. A very chocolaty taste that gives way to bitter malt after a little while in your mouth. After you swallow this bitterness is much more pronounced but not overbearing. This is a very smooth drink that would compliment a good chocolate desert after a hearty meal, or perhaps it could be the desert. I'll be looking to try this one again on tap. Give this one a try, enjoy!

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

First tried this beer on tap. The nitro-tap does wonders for this beer. Gives it a wonderful tan head and an amazing cascade for a good 30 seconds. This is honestly the only beer I LIKE to drink BEFORE the head goes down any. Usually I'll wait for the head to go down some/all the way before drinking it...this beer...that's one of the best parts. Wonderful mouth feel, wonderful flavor with just a hint of chocolate...definately not overkill, one of my favorite beers.

Found the beer in a big specialty liquor story by my house in bottles a while back. I was really happy but I wondered if it would be the same out of a bottle. It wasn't. It was good, but it didn't have that wonderful head on it. I was sad. Not to mention the one bottle was...like...3 bucks or something like that.

THEN...I found cans of it just a week ago. I IMMEDIATELY grabbed them and gave the cans a light shake...I know cans sometimes get nitrogen infusers in them and this is what I was listening for...I was greeted by the marble-in-a-spraypaint-can sound I was looking for. 4 22oz cans (I think...maybe 20 oz...) was almost 9 bucks. Stuff's not cheap but it's so worth it. Pop the can, let it sit for a second, pour into your fav beer glass and enjoy. Just like out of the tap...just costs half as much.

All in all a great beer.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Pint from tap at Old Chicago in Tucson.

Pours a deep black color with a very thick tan head that stays a few mm thick from the first sip to the last.

The smell is subtle but has some nice notes of coffee, mainly, plus a bit of a chocolate undertone. One first sniff one must wonder where the double is in this stout.

Taste...oh, there it is! Your tongue is enveloped in a fantastic velvet mouthfeel as pronounced flavors of chocolate flow over it. It is a bit of a mix of semi-sweet and milk chocolate flavors. Following that comes a subtle coffee-like bitterness that gives just enough balance to the chocolate tastes. This beer is so tasty and well balanced that I think I could start with a pint of this with my cereal in the morning and drink another and another, slowly, as the day rolled on by. I would be hard pressed to get tired of it.

Bottom line...I really enjoyed this beer. It would make a great desert on its own but begs to accompany some fresh berries.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer never fails to impress. Its a lot better on draught than nitro-can but still when you get right down to tasting it---absolutely fabulous.

Pour is black and has some cascading effect from the nitro-thingey. It lvs some bubbles on top that would be considered a negative at a bar until you get right down into this.

Smell is dark mallt and bananna. There is some very pronounced chocolate but its supposed to be there too. Some metallic elements to the aroma which is causing a slight downgrade.

Taste is a lovely smooth blend of fine aromatic dark chocolate with some milky elements too as it should be for this style. A real fine example of the milk/sweet stout. It holds up well for a longtime too. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant. A fine beer---definitely recommended.

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

Yes, on nitro-tap. Fred's Rivertown Alehouse--I bow to you!

First, it took about 20 minutes to get the beer once they poured it...it was so thick.
Appearance: Nearly black with a gorgeous, thick tan head on it that extended beyond the top of the glass.
Smell: It hits you in the face--CHOCOLATE! To be honest, it was a reminiscent of a thickshake.
Taste: chocolate, sweet, rich barley. Amazing.
Mouthfeel: Silk, it was so pleasant compared to what I was expecting. You see such a head and appearance, you expect it to be heavy, but it was like drinking velvet.
Drinkability: Oh, man, I wish I had had another 20 minutes to wait for a second to be poured...I could have drank them all night.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

This was a very nice pour, left a massive near two inch head in my pint glass, which lasted a long while. The beer is utterly opaque, a deep deep espresso brown. The huge tan head leaves lots of lacing as it slowly settles.

Smell (when properly warmed) is slightly metallic, with a hint of chlorine (yuk) along with roasted malts. It's a very sharp smell for a stout. Sweet cocoa and some yeast round it off.

If you like cocoa, you should love this one. Bittersweet chocolate malts stand out in the flavor, along with coffee and cream. Not overly complex, but what it does it does very well.

The mouthfeel is rich and tingly all over the tongue. It's got a nice roasted malt and chocolate aftertaste, and not at all sour as some stouts turn out. This is a rich, filling and creamy brew. Second to Rogue's Chocolate Stout this is the best I've had, but being as Young's is cheaper, I may just be drinking more of this....

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Opaque black color with a small, fizzy tan head with good retention. Maybe it was just the bottle I got, but I could barely pick up an aroma off this beer. Very faint roasted malts. After being unsatisfied with the aroma, the taste came and saved the day, bringing the malts to the foreground. The flavor of chocolate and roasted barley malts coat the inside of your mouth and it all ends with a slight hop bitterness in the finish. Drinkable for a stout, but not my favorite so far. I would like to try it out of a nitro can, however, as I can see it's potential for being a different beast out of the can.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

There are certain beers that can follow up a hearty meat & potatoes meal like a rich slice of chocolate cake...this is one of those beers, and it does it's job well. Let's not get the wrong idea, we are not looking at a quasi-mocha, overly sweet latte replacement, but an easy to drink, versatile stout.

Upon the initial pour, you'll find a lightly tan, slightly foamy head (as opposed to the creamy texture of a pub's pour when you order a pint of the black stuff), resting on a black coffee base. It's a stout, and it looks like one, simple as that. The nose, if you will (and I will) actually does have a hint of sweet chocolate, laced with the aggressive use of Goldings and Fuggle hops. The taste is rich, yet the body is not overly thick, some better stouts of course, being a meal unto themselves, this one not to overbearing after a feast. Again, the hops presence shines through when drinking, but the bitterness commonly associated with a stout, seems to be generated more by a dark chocolate than anything else. Apparently the style isn't just a catchy name. The beer finishes just like it started, mildly hoppy and expressive.

If dark is your pleasure, than pleasured you will be. Unfortunately, as in most imports (especially from the UK), the bottle drank in the US, as opposed to one poured in downtown London, loses something in the translation, but is still well worth the price of admission...enjoy.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BBD of Nov 06 on the bottle

Poured purplish/black with a 2 finger deep tan head, not much head rentention or lacing

Smell; Fruitiness, chocolate

Taste: Malt, yummy choclate, frutiness, sweetness& dryness on the finish

MF: Rich and silky, maybe a tad undercarbonated

Super drinkable. Great as session brew or with a bowl of spicy food or some dark choclate, highly recomended

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a deep dark opaque black with a very luxurious looking thick, creamy tan head. Roasted maltiness in aroma with strong hints of chocolate as well. Tastes the same, except this time the roastiness takes a back seat to the chocolaty flavours. Extremely smooth and creamy. Drinkable? Thats quite an understatement. I can't get enough of this stuff and I've already had four cans. Good thing I bought two 4-pint can packs. Damned tasty brew!

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

Thanks to the nitro widget, this pours into my glass a velvety milk chocolate brown of cascading bubbles, after a few moments of settling, this becomes an opaque black with a very thick creamy light tan head. Some subtle toasty chocolate notes are present in the aroma, but not much else, no hops to speak of. Sweet milk chocolate flavor, mocha latte, smooth bittering with no hop flavors, sweet finish. Nice creamy mouthfeel, very smooth nitro-carbonation, medium bodied and leaves a light coat on the palate. I remember days where I would be excited to find this on tap at a local pub, its definitely lost the excitement factor as my palate has matured, however this is a nice throwback to the guinness days.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd