Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer poured a dark coffee colour — almost opaque. The head was tan, about one finger high and left thin lacing down the glass as I drank.

I could pick up hints of chocolate in the aroma and also a bit of coffee. The taste was more of the same: it started sweet, but I thought it finished with a bit of coffee bitterness. I agree with earlier comments that people shouldn't worry about this being too chocolatey.

This beer was a little more carbonated than I would have liked and I found it sitting quite heavily by the end. A nice beer, but a niche beer. If I wanted to sit around a quaff a few pints of stout, I'd have a hard time topping good ol' Guinness.

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer poured an opaque black with a one-finger thick head. I could not detect any significant aroma. the taste was very delicate smooth and bittersweet, light overtones of chocolate. It was a pleasant stout but somewhat dissapointing in its depth of flavor. I found it remarkably similar to Guinness though with a more chocolaty overall flavor.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark dark dark, opaque, even. Rich looking with a pretty head. Smells chocolatey and espresso-like with a hint of toastedness. A little lacking in my opinion. Taste is kind of watered down chocolate coffee with a shot of espresso. It's... okay. Tasty but not nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be. Mouthfeel is on the creamy side but too thin. A nice dessert beer, but... there are better ones out there.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the 16.9 oz bottle into an imperial pint. Notched calander states it is best before March of 2006.

Jet black with very little ruby light poking through. Great looking burnt cream head, but it left quickly. I'd like to try this on draft or in a nitro can to see how it effects the head. Some nice lace develops down the glass.

Scent is roasted malts and dark chocolate. As it sits in the glass and warms a bit it opens up into a warmer milk chocolate/coco bean aroma. It's like the scent went from a truffle at first to the smell of the Hershey Chocolate factory after it had a moment to settle.

Bitter dark chocolate flavor. Quite smooth. Just a hint of black coffee... like a mocha espresso loaded with chocolate liquor. Aftertaste of a lighter chocolate... like coco. I am liking the balance of smooth, subtle sweetness of the chocolate malts and the harsh bitterness of the dark chocolate.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

355 ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Freshness dated 10/29/05 [which is a few month ago].

Pours black with a large brown head that had good lasting power.

The aroma is dark chocolate with some roasted malts coming through. A slight woodie smell with sweetness throughout.

The taste is suprisingly mild. Definite chocolate with some slight hops bitterness. Some nuttiness. A smooth stout. Basically, tasted like a liquified brownie.

The mouthfeel was quite light and chewey. Overall, this was a nice brew that I could drink in moderation, not something I could sit around and drink all evening. Nice with chocolate or fruit dessert.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

appearance: Bubbles cascade upwards from the bottom of the glass to create a 1" khaki head with a meringue like consistency. Considerable lacing is left behind. The beer is a deep brown color.

smell: Lighter, mixed chocolate flavors are dominant. Just a touch of roast and no discernable hops.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is low, and the body on the heavy side of the medium range. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy.

taste: Flavors of chocolate dominate. Cocoa power, chocolate syrup, chocolate milk...however you put it, chocolate. Not to say that it is cloying, though, as there is enough roasted malt flavor and a light hop bitterness to provide some balance. The only thing I'd like to see is a little more complexity of flavor.

drinkability: easy, especially for a stout

Watery at times, could use a little more character in the aroma and taste.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

smell: slight roasted smell, some faint chocolate
taste: bitter, dry, pure chocolate, blackberries and cherries. Not a lot of carbonation. I was surprised to find the taste of pure chocolate, but the taste did not blow me away. The expectation I had from this beer were higher.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

1pt.9 floz bottle poured into a pint glass on 1/7/06

A- deep, dark thick black color with 1 inch head, nice lacing that lasted the life of the beer

S- chocolate and coffee smell, a great malt combo

T- thick and somewhat chewy, chocolate and coffee flavors are strong, yet well balanced

M- rich and smooth, very powerful, takes over the sense of smell and taste the way a single malt scotch does.

D-would have another, but very filling…probably not more than 2.

This is the first chocolate stout I have tried. It is a wonderful brew!

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer poured dark brown to black with a light brown head. The aroma is of dark bitter chocolate. The taste is quite amazingly chocolate, very much like a bitter chocolate drink, it also has a strong bitter chocolate aftertaste. The feel is heavy, smooth, and dry. This is quite an amazing beer, and I enjoyed it. However, this is one of those occaisional brews as the taste is something you have to be in the mood for.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

I decided to pit my two favorite chocolate stouts (Young's + Rogue) against each other and see which came out on top.

The Rogue is better looking. This Young's has a lighter-colored head, more of a tan than Rogue's deep mocha. Young's is slightly transparent in the pour, although both beers are opague when held up to light.

The alcohol scent is pretty present in Young's, but fortunately there is a lot of other things going on there too. I smell sweet malt, roastiness, a bit of coffee.

The taste is so extremely smooth and well rounded. Truly a delight to drink. I dont taste much bitterness or hops. The only thing is, I dont know if I'd really agree with the "double" in the name. I taste more roastiness than anything.

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy. Seems low in carbonation as well (not a negative point).

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is an excellent beer and one of my favorite stouts, but I have to give 1st place to Rogue. Using real chocolate is the key that gives it the edge, I believe.

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the tap, the rich dark head formed and then slowly settled. The head is extraordinarily thick and creamy in appearance, texture, and taste. I had to push through the head to get to the black richness beneath and found the familiar roasted goodness. At 5.2%, it is rather easy to drink. One would expect a heavier beer, given the color, but this is one great sessioner. The aroma was exceptionally clean and slightly toasty. This beer is simple and very good, much richer in flavor than other stouts. And the chocolate tastes are just out of this world. I could have easily had several of these at one sitting, despite the thickness and meal-like qualities. Overall, a very good beer.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. I'd wished to try it alongside of the Brooklyn offering, but that was not stocked when I purchased this.

A deep black upon pouring, with a 2 finger, almost brown and bubbly head that lasted well into the drink, leaving some thick lacing on the glass. A thing of beauty :)

Smell was roasted malt, a little coffee, but sweet, not burnt. All of these fragrances were rather subtle, and I suspected I'd chilled the stout a little too long. I think was confirmed by the taste.

Based on its name I was expecting some chocolately flavours to be readily apparant, but they were next to undetectable until about my 4th mouthful. This is a sweet, and smooth drink, the sweetness not quite balanced by some bitter, malty tastes. I must admit that as the beer warmed the flavours and complexities mounted. Yet, I felt a little let down by the time I'd finished.

Mouthfeel, however, was wonderful. It was creamy and very smooth, giving me no troubles in taking some hearty gulps.

I think I'm going to give this a second shot sometime soon, and go a little easier on the chill!

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

From the bottle, it pours nearly black. There's a little of a reddish tint around the edges and at the bottom of the glass. Head is a light tan color and looks a little fizzier then the head from the glass I had on-tap. It faded a lot faster too.

Scent is faint dark malt, caramel, and chocolate. It's a weak scent though.

Taste is also much weaker then I expected. There's a soft malt flavor and a little chocolate. A faint hoppy flavor ends it.

Mouthfeel is heavy and creamy. Not bad, but not particularly impressive either. Much better on-tap.

It's drinkable, but there are better sweet stouts out there. This was fantastic on tap about a month ago, but I guess the bottles just don't hold up as well.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Opaque black. Head is light tan/ecru; lighter than one might expect in a roasty stout. Head remains at about 1/4 inch for at least several minutes.

Smell: light and sweet. Maybe a slight hint of Golding hops, but just a hint.

Taste: Sweet and chocolatey. The roast flavor is a nice support for the sweetness and not at all biting. Wait... just a hint of bite at the end of the sip, more of an aftertaste, really.

Mouthfeel: Nice and light for how sweet it is; this beer is not at all syrupy. Carbonation is prominent, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability: Quite easy drinking, the smooth chocolate flavor makes it go down real easy.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours dark black with a three inch tan head.

Smell is very light roast and some astringency. Not alot there.

Sweet roast dominates initial flavor. Astringent by mid-tongue. Ends with a roast bitterness.

Kind of thin mouthfeel, but carbonation is pretty nice and this makes it fairly drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a darth vader black with an impressivly thick tan head. Awesome lacing.

Nice aroma of roasted chocolate and caramel malts.

Thick and rich mouthfeel, Great taste of roasted chocolate, caramel, and toffee. A dry, black coffee bitter finish is excellent. Smooth as hell.

Awesome dessert brew rich and chocolatey, even better off a nitro tap.

Cheers!

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

A - A black ichor with a two finger brown head that dissipates in a few minutes. No lacing.

S - Not a hint of chocolate in the nose. A faint coffee and little else.

T - I don't even taste single chocolate, nevermind double. A slight cinnamon and nutmeg spiciness makes an appearance over a dry Guiness-like flavor. Well, it's a better taste than Guiness!

M - Very, very smooth and refreshing.

D - Quite good. I enjoy this beer. Not the best that I have had, but good none the less.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours a super dark black color with a large inch+ tan head at first pour. The head was really creamy looking and stayed around for a while. I can't tell if there are any bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: Sweet and rich chocolaty aroma. It has a really "soft" character to it that may be an oatmeal addition or something. It is a very clean and presentable aroma.

Taste: The flavor starts out with some noticeable sweetness, but it doesn't take the chocolate long to kick in and steal the show from then on. The malt and chocolate last until the finish finally kicks in a few seconds after drinking. The finish has a bit of dry bitterness that tastes a bit like eating part of a square of unsweetened cocoa.

Opinion: I really like this beer. I especially like to drink it on tap mixed with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale like a "Black and Tan". This beer by itself is a bit on the sweet side for my taste, but still a very nice beer that I am glad to have around.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

from the bottle.poured a dark brown to black with a tan head that left a little lacing .aroma, roated malts, chocolate, molasses, some hops, sweet. flavor, medium dark to dark chocolate, malt, hops. I have got to say I was a little disappointed in the flavor on this beer, compared to the aroma it was a pour showing, the chocolate tasted likecheap chocolate.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

appearance: dark stout color, with nice tan head. i dunno do stouts really look that different from one another, with similar abv?

smell: i smell a nice creamy, milkly flavor. none of the roasted malts.

taste: pretty nice sublte flavor. the creamy mouthfeel brings on feelings of chocolate. not typical chocolate malt, but actually sweet chocolate. however it's very sublte. mixed in thre is the stouty roasted malts. i'm going on an english stout run tonight. I really think the sweetness adds a nice balance here though. also maybe some fruitness from the yeast. quite a beer, make sure it warms up to cellar temp. The first half of the bottle was too cold for me to taste all the flavors.

mouthfeel: it's solid, nice and creamy and not watery.

drinkability: it's good for a stout. I've never been the guy to really want to session a stout, although this is coming close. Suprised there haven't been more takes on this style here in the states.

Poured from a nitro-can with an expiration date of 10/5/05.
Pitch black with a thick, creamy, milky, lasting head. The best head on a beer that I've ever seen. Coffee in the nose. Not good gourmet coffee though. Strong Wafflehouse coffee smell. Sweet, chocolate and roasted malts and grains in the mouth. Just the right amount of bitter kick at the end. Feels very smooth, creamy, and thick on the tongue. At 5.2% you can drink a few of these but not too many because it's very filling.
Great beer with a meal or as a meal.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance id a super dark black which is not translucent in the least bit. My pour gave me a little creamy head which didn't diminish at all as I sipped this for a good thirty minutes.The head may have something to do with this beer was drank 7+ months past its best before date. Smells of roasted barley and a little chocolate are easily detectable. Mouthfeel is creamy and light with no carbonation at all. I've drank this one many times in the past in both bottle and nitro can and must say I enjoy the bottle greatly for some reason. This is also a beer I've used as a gateway to introduce some BMC drinking friends. Now, if I could only find a bottle before its best before date.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a great head and holds a good lacing. Has a dark crisp look to it. Sweet smell with dark roasted barely malts. Taste's good and strong with definate coffee flavors accompanied by chocolate undertones. Mouthfeel is lacking a bit, but still ok. It fills you up quick, so another beer would be a task. Sipping this beer is good idea.

3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured the expected color from the style, all but jet black with a creamy tan head which receded after a short time leaving a light trim ring and minimal lacing. Nose was straightforward and somewhat uninteresting with basic roasted malt notes. Taste is a deluge of roasted malt flavors, like a mix of gas station coffee with hershey's syrup more than a mocha. For some reason this beer is just not treating me quite right, being a lover of good stouts I simply expected more I suspect. I think I'll be looking elsewhere to get my chocolate stout fix....rogue chocolate stout here I come!

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Jet black, tan head, excellent retention, only a little lace.

S: Fruity chocolate.

T: Awesome. VERY chocolately, nice fruityness from the British yeast. Nice bittersweet balance isn't overwhelming. A hint of tartness rounds out the flavour.

M: Surprisingly light to moderate body, a little chalky, moderate carbonation.

D: Truly exceptional. I think I could drink this all night!

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd