1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served into the nonic pint glass at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium. The color was black, with a nice nitro head. The smell was slightly sweet. The taste was a rich and fantastic sweet milk chocolate. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth. Drinkability-wise, could definitely have a few of these.

One of the best nitro stouts that I've ever had. A rich and delicious chocolate make this a real treat. Quite good, and certainly one that I'll have again!!

beergeek279, Dec 24, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

This is one fantastic stout! I picked it up on a whim and enjoyed it as an after dinner drink. The chocolate is definately in there in a double dose, as the name suggests. The appearance, scent, and taste are all heavily influenced by chocolate. And as Martha would say, "That's a good thing".

I'd be very hesitant to call this strictly a desert beer, as it would go well with hearty meals too. It's very drinkable and will probably find a permanent home in my fridge.

kwalters, Dec 23, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

This is one of my favorite beers. As the title suggests, its a dark, warm chocolate malty beer. Pouring it into the glass, a tan/ brown head rises graciously to the top of the glass, leaving plenty of lacing as it generally runs down into the glass forming a dark black beer. At first taste, this beer might seem too sweet, especially for non-stout drinkers. However, the aftertaste has just the right balance of hops to make this otherwise 'all malt' flavor very drinkable. Although it is a very heavy beer, it is easy to down about three of these...especially since the ABV is pretty low.

GuinnessSmurf, Dec 21, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I heard about chocolate stout when I first started coming to Beer Advocate, and immediately wanted to find it. Lo and behold, a liquor store near my place started carrying it not too long ago! This is my second review as I think I like this even more after consideration.

Appearance: Pours nice and BLACK, or at least so brown that I'm not telling no matter what light I hold it up to. Chocolatey head was smallish and vanished quickly, leaving... well nothing.

Smell: Lots of cocoa, hops, chocolate malts, that sort of thing. I could smell this stuff all day. This smells like a very fine dessert that's been dusted with unsugared cocoa.

Taste: I won't lie and say I've sampled a huge variety of fine beers, but as it stands, this is the best beer I've -ever- tasted. Wonderfully complex with a great cocoa flavour afterwards. Sort of like if you've powdered, unsugared cocoa over a dessert of some sort. Coffee is also very predominant, and a nice hoppy bite as well. Not too sweet at all, which was a fear of mine here. There's more to this beer, but I just don't know how to put names to all the flavours yet.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, not bad... needs a bit more carbonation, but no complaints. Pretty good. I expected this to be creamy like some stouts, and instead feels like a slightly heavy beer.

Drinkability: On a second review - I realize that I was unkind to the drinkability of this delicious brew. I could chug this all day... I was just far too full to drink one of these my first review. Oh god this is good.

Notes: My favorite beer period, and I'm sure there are tons of better beers out there, but I haven't tried them yet. Heh. This is an awesome beer to introduce to people who think that Budweiser is the be all and end all of beers, even people who hate beer love this stuff.

ComradeCanadia, Dec 16, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a midnight black with light tan head. First thought with the aroma was mint chocolate chip ice cream in a glass. Further aroma noted was some light roasted coffee notes and touch of hop profile. First taste was milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted coffee taste. Definitely real chocolate in there. Mouthfeel is good but the chocolate somewhat detracts from the other flavors that are in there. Simply too sweet for my palate but I'm sure it is the classic example of this style.

CRJMellor, Dec 15, 2003

This is my absolutely favorite beer. Young's has done a fantastic job combining chocolate malt and real chocolate into this wonderful stout. The addition of chocolate doesn't make this stout overly sweet by any means. The nitro charge creates a dense milky brown head and creamy appearance to the stout upon initial pour. After the nitro bubbles in the stout settle out you're left with this magnificent head that remains throughout the glass. As it's drank the glass is coated with beautiful lace.

An additional note: I've had this in both bottle and can form and personally feel that this stout is better from the can. Not only do you get the nitro charge, but the taste out of the can is better.

mrpivo, Dec 12, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

We've all heard of milk stouts, well this is a chocolate milk stout.
Dark brown-black with a light-brown three finger head. Laces very well in rings that web together.
Very strong chocolate, milk and roasted aroma
the taste is obviously chocolate, and it's also pretty sweet, and the roasted grain comes out here as well. Chocolate taste builds even more in the aftertaste. Very flavorful beer.
Creamy, Smooth, and Rich feel. Incredibly drinkable, especially after a day of shoveling snow.

mschofield, Dec 10, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured a deep black with a hint of light coming through here and there. Nice frothy head that held and laced well. Aroma was not released until the beer warmed a bit. I then could smell rich chocolate and roasted malts. Hops were present but barely detectable. Taste was roasted chocolate and coffee and a nice hop finish. Beer was a lot thinner than I had imagined. This is very drinkable stout and not as intimidating as one might think.

dpend, Dec 10, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

What a beer! Would go down as one of my alltime favourite stouts!
This beer was so good that as soon as we finished it we went back to the shop and bought two more. Beautiful tan head on top of a richly coloured dark beer. Big bitterchoc / mocha aroma. Flavour like the finest bitterchocolate around, very rich and creamy.
Highly Drinkable.

ALEBOY, Dec 05, 2003
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Semisweet chocolate brown with ruby highlights, topped off with a medium tan, rocky head that slowly subsides to a fat disk and leaves a moderate amount of lace.

The nose is roasted malt and chocolate, but is too subdued. The flavor consists of roasted malt and moderately sweet chocolate. It becomes much more vivid as the beer warms. I'm enjoying the bottom half of the bottle much more than I did the top half and will be sure to let my next bottle get closer to room temperature before diving in.

The mouthfeel isn't bad, but it's a trifle lighter than expected. I like my stouts to be thicker and creamier. It could be smoother in the mouth as well, but to be fair, it does even out as it warms.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a pretty good version. I'll definitely have it again. Note to self: next time, let it warm to near room temperature for maximum enjoyment.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 05, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a pitch black with a dense creamy brown head. Smells of sweet dark malt and bitter chocolate.

Tastes smoky and creamy. Smooth and milky with underlying sweet chocolate flavors. Milk chocolate is what I am tasting. Slightly bitter as it warms. A dry finish and the bitterness lingers after the swallow. easy drinking for a stout. Very smooth and sweet. A really good stout and that's always a good thing.

ViveLaChouffe, Dec 05, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

There's no dessert fit to stand up to Young's Double Chocolate. Rich in chocolate, yes, but incredibly rich as a beer, too. Though the stout is COMPLETELY dominated by chocolate malt, its presence as a beer is understood and respected. This would never diverge from stout and fall into the fruit/spiced/chocolate/coffee/nut/etc beer category. The chocolate upfront is deeply complex and reminiscent of my vacation in Paris. But what makes this a great beer, beyond its chocolately appeal, is an intense hop/yeast fruitiness that follows; it turns this brew into the stuff dreams are made of. The milky chocolate reappears in the finish followed by green, tannic hops.

I hate nitro cans, but the nitrogen head in Young's Double Chocolate intensifies the chocolate malt goodness and I would go so far as to argue that the tastiest part of this beer is the foam. This crushes all competitors and completely defines the style.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Dec 04, 2003
3.7/5  rDev -8%

Presentation: 16.9oz. brown bottle; "best before end" warning -- in this case May 04 -- notched on the rear label's left periphery; purchased from Trader Joe's for $1.99.

Appearance: Essentially opaque in hue; large, chocolate-colored head; a gentle cascade effect upon the pour; thick, sticky lacing; very good head retention.

Aroma: Predominantly of cocoa... and nicely so.

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront; predominant flavor characteristic is that of milk chocolate, but not overwhelmingly so; clear notes of fruit and grain throughout; ever so faint sour quality; finish is predominantly bitter and roasty and balances things out nicely; medium bodied with something of smooth and almost silky mouthfeel.

Notes: Far from the "decadently" or "sickly" sweet after-dinner beer some would make it out to be; highly drinkable and well-balanced.

Mustard, Dec 04, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this as my dessert beer for Thanksgiving and just found my notes. Poured from a bottle, it lacked the cascade effect but still had a nice, thick, creamy beige head and left some skeletal lace in the glass.
The smell was like sticking my nose in a dark chocolate shake. Plenty of chocolate aroma with some coffee and roasted malt notes playing a supporting role. The taste was simply awesome: chocolate in all forms. Initially a milk chocolate flavor was dominant but as things progressed, a more bittersweet dark chocolate flavor pushed its way to the fore. As with the smell, some roasted malts and coffee flavor were present to provide an excellent balance. The feel was medium-bodied, velvety smooth and rich though not quite as smooth as from a nitro-tap.
This beer is rapidly moving up my “favorite beer” rankings. It’s so very easy to drink and goes great with a variety of desserts. A superb beer.

Boilermaker88, Dec 03, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

16.9 oz. Bottle

Appearance: The tawny liquid of this beer filled my pint glass, forming a column of pure ebony. The tan head rose up to two fingers and settled down very slowly. It was fluffly at first, but finally flattened out into a thick, creamy looking layer. This, too, thinned out to become just a thick ring around the circumference of the glass. The lacing was minimal.

Smell: The unmistakeable smell of chocolate was very prevalent, but it did not overpower. It had a semi-sweet characteristic to it and was combined with roasted malt, a light fruitiness, and a hint of yeast. Straightforward and great smelling.

Mouthfeel: All other characteristics taken into account, I found this beer to be relatively thin and light. It just limped into the medium-body category and was a little rough in the back of the mouth. There was a slight creaminess upfront, but it was minimal.

Taste: Upfront there was definitely a sweet chocolate presence, though it was quick to surrender the spotlight. An overly strong tartness and a nice, dry hops character came to center stage quickly afterward. Though the chocolate continued on into the aftertaste, it was definitely a secondary player. Also on the finish was some nice roasted malt that blended well with the other flavors.

A good beer that I am glad that I finally got the chance to try. Maybe I was expecting too much from this brew, but it let me down a little. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy this beer again now that it is regularly available here in Wichita. But it really didn't bowl me over like I was expecting it to. The mouthfeel was lacking and the flavor had too much tartness for this type of beer.

Quaffer, Dec 03, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Had some of this left from Thanksgiving desert.
1 pint 9 fl oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

I poured the brew into my glass and the super dark brown color was immediately evident. no lite getting through this brew! There is a tan creamy head formed of very small tight bubbles.
The aroma is sweet malt, coffee, and of course chocolate. Almost a scent like chocolate milk.
The beer is very smooth and viscous with a rather heavy body. Very mild carbonation. Amazing head retention! After 10 minutes still about a cm of head in my glass.
Very pleasant finish leaving a roasted and chocolate flavor on my tongue. No hint of alcohol flavor or aroma.
I have paired this brew with vanilla ice cream and coffee very nicely as a dessert. It is a very good brew to convert non beer drinkers.

sulldaddy, Dec 02, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Beer was served out of the 16.9oz bottle.

Appearance: Pouring the stout from the bottle, I notice it is definitely dark like a good stout should be, although maybe a little thin for my liking. Created a decent, fizzy head... not creamy as I might have expected from a "Luxury" stout. Left a nice lace in the glass as it was consumed. And consumed it was!

Smell: Sweet malt, smooth... very smooth qualities in this one. Lots of chocolate, some coffee, slightly astringent alcohol/hops smell. OH I love it!

Taste: More chocolate, a little more coffee, sweet malty body, some caramel notes, raisins, rum, bananas.... tasty stuff! Finishes with a tight bitterness. Lingers on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Although I thought it poured thin, it actually is a little more full than I expected. Creamy smooth, with an appropriate amount of carbonation, and a clean finish.

Drinkability: Definitely drinkable. Appearance, smell, taste... all conspire to make this a great session stout. What can I say, I'll never turn a YLDCS down.

Although not one of my all-time favorites, this stout ranks high on my list. The flavors, scents, and textures are right. This beer needs a kick of hops or something to make it truly incredible. Hand the recipe to Larry Bell and he would make it perfect. Just my opinion.

FFudnam, Nov 24, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark brown, almost black no light escapes, creamy khaki head.
Sweet, candy and chocolate to the nose.
Sticky on the tongue, it is chewy yet almost fluffy.
A very sweet chocolate with malt and a hint of coffee. Finish is long and roasted.
Good with pastries, etc. Not the cloying chocolate of some similar beers.

homersimpson, Nov 21, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

This was definitely not what I expected. I expected a lot of chocolate but did not find that. I got a lot of burnt coffee flavors and some sweet malt but no chocolate. It wasn't even in the nose. The apperance was wonderful. Nice Head and dark color. Drinkablity was not very good since the flavor was off. It had an almost metallic taste that really turned me off.

Ellbert, Nov 17, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

One of my bigger disappointments in tasting new beers. Color was ok small head malt aroma, with the smallest hint of chocolate. Taste was about the same, and that started drying out pretty quick. I would never have guessed this was a chocolate beer, let alone a double.In addition to that, it seemed highly charged with carbonation.I had two bottles of this and both were the same.

grynder33, Nov 04, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: Deep black with a thick, foamy chocolate head.

Aroma: As the name states, a creamy chocolate nose backed up by some mild coffee notes.

Taste: Slightly smoky, but lots of chocolate throughout. Dry, but flavorful finish.

Mouthfeel: Flavorful, but not overpowering. Slight richness from the chocolate.

Drinkability: Quite intriguing, but not for me. The "real dark chocolate" both enhances and takes away from this one IMO.

winomark, Oct 29, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Classic nitro pour with a huge, lasting tan cascade that settled atop a viscous looking black body. Smell was a cross between sweet creme and the inside of a chocolate chip package. So much sweetness. The taste was astounding. It was like drinking a carbomb without worrying about the alcohol at all. It had huge flavors of caramel drizzled cappucino, extra sweet chocolate milkshake, no astringent grains at all. This was pure velvet and a perfect after dinner drink. Drinkability is a little low as the amount of this I could drink is very small before I develop a major cavity.

GreatPondBrewer, Oct 28, 2003
4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance: Black-hole-black body. Lush, thick, tan head with bubbles that are just a bit too course for the style (bet the nitro can looks better, I know draught does). Still pretty.
Preface: I've spoken to a number of people who were disappointed by this stout, calling it watery and flavorless: IMO, they were drinking it too cold. When this beer hits it's temperature, all hell breaks loose in terms of chocolate (both cocoa and malt).
Smell: Subtle hot cocoa (mildly sweet, milky but not lacto acidic), hint of espresso.
Taste: Lush baker's cocoa and semi-sweet malt, slight smoke, light dry hop finish and subtle bitterness sneaks up to top it off.
Mouthfeel: Full, rich, creamy, silky... the word "luxury" on the label is appropriate. Bottle carbonation slightly heavy but soon settled. At proper serving temperature, this stout defines mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Smoothness and low ABV make for an easy session. If I had the bucks, I'd make a long winter evening of it - this is just an outstanding chocolate stout!

DagFishHead, Oct 28, 2003
4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

absolutely my favorite stout.

this poured out of the nitro can looking deep, deep black, and leaving a pillowy, cream-colored head. the lacing was clingy and bubbly.

the nose was all roast and cocoa, with just the tiniest hint of hops. as the beer warms, more chocolate emerges in the nose, and it's sweet chocolate, like the syrup you use to make chocolate milk.

the mouthfeel was exemplary, just perfect. smooth, creamy, silky, no carbonation bite. mother's milk to a newborn.

the flavors are subtle and austere, especially at first when the beer is still very cool. light, gentle roast and a hint of chocolate. when the beer starts to warm, though, the chocolate really starts to make its presence known. not too sweet, but just right. just enough hops to keep the sweetness from getting any big ideas. this beer caresses your tongue with flavor, rather than bludgeoning it like a lot of beers. now, those beers have their times and places, but when a young's double chocolate is around, they'll have to sit in the backseat and be quiet. this beer reminds me of an anecdote i once heard ... stevie ray vaughan was playing a show with bb king, and stevie was going nuts, just letting loose with all his masturbatory guitar pyrotechnics, and then came bb's turn to solo, and he just played one note, and sustained it with his tasteful vibrato for the full 12 bars. and stevie knew he'd been shown up. a lot of beers are like stevie, hammering you over the head with huge flavors. and a lot of these beers are great. but sometimes you want to be given the benifit of the doubt, sometimes you want a brewer to trust you enough to be able to appreciate the flavors in a good, subtle, restrained brew, and young's double chocolate is a beer that allows you to do just this. smooth, creamy, silky, and more drinkable than any other stout i've come across. if you want something that's easily quaffable and tastes good, you got it. but sip it slowly and you'll find that these simple flavors of roasted malt and chocolate echo and reflect one another, resulting in a taste experience that is simply fantastic. some drinkers might suggest that this brew could use a little more hop balance, and it would be interesting to see how just a bit more bitterness might affect this brew. but why mess with perfection?

you owe it to yourself to try this stout. stellar brew.

cheers,

s.d.

dedalus, Oct 25, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Dark as motoroil, definitely darker than their oatmeal stout. Nice thick cream colored head. Its got a kind of coco powder and roasted barley smell to it. Wow, it really is chocolaty. I had this one on tap a couple of months ago and couldn't taste any. This is like the Godiva of beers, silky smooth (nitrogen) and creamy milk chocalate goodness. Doesn't have any bitterness to it, making it that much more drinkable. This in one fine beer, so smooth and rich. It has more flavor than the oatmeal stout that I just drank. You might not want to drink this right after a big meal, but thats about the only bad thing I can say about it.

HappyHourHero, Oct 22, 2003