Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -3%

This one was just okay for me, but my none-beer-drinking neighbors all seemed to like it a lot - more than they liked Yeti Imperial Stout ("too bitter" or Rogue Chocolate Stout ("too beery" - which surprised me, I love that one)

Appearance: Opaque black in the glass, tan head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Nice and malty aroma, with dark chocolate undertones.

Taste: Roastiness is the predominant flavor, but there is some dark chocolate in the background. Bitterness is light.

Mouthfeel: Fairly creamy mouthfeel. Light-Medium body.

Drinkability: Everyone else seemed to like it more than I did, but definitely not bad.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is among my favorite beers. Very rich, dark color, with a positively delightful cocoa aroma. The beer is smooth, almost velvety, and rich with chocolate, cocoa, and hints of coffee with cream. An important high point in this brew is that its very rich without being overly sweet, making it a bit more drinkable than many other rich beers. Still, it is very rich and very filling....I couldn't see myself enjoying more than two of these before switching to something else, which is the only reason I rated the drinkability below the 4.0 mark. This is simply an exceptional beer, and one of the brews I most frequently recommend to people who claim to not like beer (when they've only really tried bud light and miller) or to not like dark beer.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

First thing first... this beer is excellent.

A very dense, dark pour with a very thick (3 finger) tan head that shrinks a little but does not disappear. You will notice a wonderful, sweet smell of malty chocolate and coffee. The same sweet chocolate and coffee are tasted, but they are perfectly balanced by bitterness to avoid making this overly sweet. The aftertase is of more chocolate and coffee. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with light carbonation and goes down very smoothly. This is a very drinkable beer, and one of the most drinkable stouts that I have tasted. A delicious treat for dessert or any other time you want to enjoy a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Pours jet black with absolutely no light coming through at all. An inch of frothy dark tan head falls to a firm fingers worth.

S - Milky chocolate (unsurprisingly), coffee, roast malts, nuttiness.

T - Roast malts and chocolate appear immediately, before coffee moves forward during the middle. Some light bitterness comes through in the finish, but the aftertaste is dominated once again by creamy chocolate.

M - Medium body with a palate-cleaning carbonation.

D - The mouthfeel really helps the drinkability. A very good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Someone brought this one from Texas for me since it is not available in Louisiana yet. I was very excited at trying it, and I was not disappointed. It poured very dark with a nice tan head. Aromas of dark chocolate almost jumping out of the glass. Very agreeable. Just enough carbonation to fizzle in your mouth. Plenty of chocolate there too!! But I must say, not as thick as I thought it would be. Definitely a dessert in itself! If you're both a chocoholic and a beerholic, this one's for you.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

Tried this for the first time this weekend. I usually am not in the mood for a stout style beer, and was really buying this for the bottle. I am a homebrewer and had 11 Young's bottles and wanted a half case for bottling my brews with. This was all they had from Young's so a little reluctantly I bought it.

I have to say, I was amazed at how good this beer was. First thing I noticed was the chocolate flavor. It is very pronounced and I found it very enjoyable. This beer goes down very smooth and didn't have a very harsh roasty bite that many other stouts have. Each sip begged for the next one to follow soon after. After a sip, I felt like I still had a chocolatey residue coating the inside of my mouth that faded away slowly. The hop flavors were fairly absent, although I can't imagine wanting the chocolate flavors to compete with hops, so in my mind it was balanced the way it should be.

After drinking this lone bottle, I longed for another. This beer will definitly find its way into my normal beer rotation.

2.93/5  rDev -27.1%

Black body below a brown head that leaves traces of lace. Carbonation is subtle but enough to give the palate a sting

Chocolate of course, is the prominent theme here. Not the bakers variety. This is more like a rich dark chocolate that oils down the palate and really makes it difficult to pick up anything else. Its that strong! of a taste. It is a good beer, don't get me wrong, I just think its rather boring to be honest. A melted chocolate bar without any balancer.

Hersheys chocolate to the point. Squeeze some hershey's on a batch of vanilla Ice Cream and you have Young's double chocolate. That being the very rudimentary version it is more comples than that.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

This is a dessert in a can! A and I both enjoy this brew, but I swear it feels like
drinking a chocolate cake, which is not a bad thing. Nice creamy head, hey its nitro! The smell is a lovely malty sweet followed by a ton of chocolate when
you first take a swig. The beer does not disappoint even as you get toward the
bottom. I really enjoy this in the colder months since it is quite rich and heavy, its
a bit too much in summer, and it only makes you think you are putting on 20 pounds per glass.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured this beer out into a pint glass, beer was a very dark chocolate brown color, with a very nice head on top. The head stuck around for several minutes, eventually leaving a small creamy froth on top. The smell was definitely of chocolate malt. Sweet and pleasant like a candy bar. The taste was also nice, although not as strong as I had expected. The mouthfeel is very creamy; the beer has a healthy body and a smooth finish. Overall, this beer is definitely drinkable and I would recommend it.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a dark black from a nitro can into my pub glass. Nice, creamy, tan head with excellent retention and brilliant lacings throughout. Resembled a draft pour.

Lots of chocolate and buttery hints in the aroma. Some malt scents and a tart aroma are also present. Inviting but forgettable.

Tastes of chocolate, coffee, butter, sweet and roasted malts are balanced by a bitter, tart hoppy presence. The aftertaste is slightly too tart in my opinion and perhaps slightly metallic.

The mouthfeel is excellent, as this drinks like a draft beer. Nice, thick, full-bodied and creamy.

2.61/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Wow... I must say I'm quite amazed at the formation of the head on this thing. I could watch that all day. After it settles it leaves a 1/2in white creamy head. Looks kind of like ice cream The body of the beer is black with some ruby highlights. The only thing keeping me from giving this a five is the fact that it really dosn't look like beer, more like a milkshake or something.

S: Smells good, very chocolatey, but dosn't really smell like a beer. Smells more like Nesquick. There is a hint of alcohol to the nose.

T: I was glad that it didn't taste as chocolatey as it smelled. I was actually especting this to be stronger than it was. Slighty bitter with a sweet roasted malts and chocolate dominating. Has a bitter coffee like aftertaste. Chocolate tastes pretty artificial. Reminds me of Guinness mixed with Nesquick.

M: Completly flat and kind of watery. This is killing it for me.

D: Watching the head form on this is definiatly it's strongest point . Taste-wise it was a decent stout, but I really can't stand how flat and watery it was. If it had at least some carbonation, and maybe a fuller body I would like it a lot more.

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with an inch creamy tan head that stays around for a while. It smells like sweet milk chocolate, and also some roasted malt and nuts. It tastes like both bitter and milk chocolate, with a little bit of coffee taste too. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, it finishes great. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers. It's great on-tap, and it's great out of the nitro-can as well. Not quite as good out of the bottle, but this review is for the nitro-can. It is more of a dessert beer, but I can drink this all the time. An excellent beer!

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Best by date February 2007, Sampled August 2006
Pours with a creamy, almost mousse like, light brown head that I am able to contain to three-fingers thick. The beer is opaque and not quite devoid of color; there is a touch of brown to round out the deep blackness. The aroma smells like sweet chocolate liquor in some ways. It is not as sweet as an actual chocolate liquor and there is only a hint of alcohol, but the chocolate note is definitely there. A touch of burnt grain character is here as well as some spicy beer like notes that I can't quite put words to.

The taste is fairly light, and could in fact use a bit more creamy, mouth coating heft to it. Lightly sweet, with a chocolate note up front that quickly moves to a light-roast black coffee note. Some lightly spicy bitterness is here, but most of the bitterness seems to be contributed from roasted malt. The finish has a burnt grain acidity to it as well as a lightly burnt bitterness. Chocolate flavors are definitely noticeable and even linger long into the finish, but seem to not be at the depth that my memory of this beer remembers. Really a touch more body would help to round things out immensely.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Nitro Can

pours nice out of the can, dark dark brown with a tan head.

Smells of vanilla, chocolate, sugar, malt, and kind of like the can

Tastes sweet, vanilla, chocolate, followed by hops and malt, and a little bitter at the end,

Mouthfeel, kind of watery

Overall, a good chocolate stout, but I really think it is better on tap, the can is ok though.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

From the nitro can, pours an opaque “pitch brown.” I never get tired of watching the head form on a nitro stout. Beautiful! 1-1/2 fingers of tan nitro head with tiny bubbles. The head fades slowly down to about ½ finger and sticks around until the very last sip. Good lacing. Damn fine looking beer. Nose is of chocolate, sort of half dark and half cocoa powder like Nesquik. There’s some malt there as well. Taste is a lot more mellow than I expected, milk chocolate flavor with mild coffee. Mild malt dominates. Overall the flavor is mild and not bitter. Finishes on a nice slightly bitter coffee finish. Mouth is very good: fully, creamy, and fluid. Drinkability is very good. This is a great mild, creamy, and enjoyable chocolate stout. Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a nice dark cola black appearance with a nice fluffy carmel head that stays the entire drink with strong sticky fat lacing. Taste is of strong coffee with hints of chocolate espresso with a nice carmel touch, also tasted hints of vannilla and malted roasted almonds. The sweet melted choclate marshmellows with a coffee back drop. This is highly recommended and one of Young and Companys finest.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

I was skeptical of this beer’s “double-ness” seeing the can’s "Double" moniker plus packed in a nitro-can made it all the more intriguing what this beer acutally is like.

Poured a bible black opaque with a tan tight celled sculptured head.

Sadly the head was short lived and sank back to the depths with a diminutive ring hugging the interior circumference of my glass.

Nose was slight, nondescript.

Flavor—at first an explosion of chocolate coffee flavor intertwined with hops and toasted malt. Yet, just as with the head the flavor dissipated as fast as it’s flavor debut took the stage.

The flavor profile is thin with a fast curt finish. It left me wishing there was more underpinning. This would have made the beer far more appealing as there seemed like lots of possible flavor avenues the wonderful coffee-chocolate start could travel through..

Nevertheless the flavor start made the beer an enjoyable treat—sort of beckoned me to take another sip.

Mouthfeel produced a comfortable cleansing experience—a smooth but thin libation.

Drinkability was most congenial—I could quaff the entire four pack in one sitting.

Still, I believe this beer’s most prominent fault is its thin flavor body.

I’m not certain what benefits the nitro packaging produces on this beer. The nitro packaging seems to effect the same results as with the other similarly packaged beers I’ve experienced.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drinking this out of an imperial pint glass. A nice chocolate-milkshake colored head formed with the pour and fell to a thin film on top of the brew. Color is that of the darkest chocolate bar and opaque when held to the light. The aroma is well presented, and dominated by the sweet unfermented sugars left in the brew. Chocolate is very present as the name suggests, but there is a creaminess and roastiness also present. The taste is very fit to the style, sweet. Nice and creamy, possibly due to lactose used in fermentation. Flavor is dominated by the creamy flavor, followed by a hit of chocolate malt, and comes together beautifully with a bit of roasted malty bitterness. mouthfeel is thick, almost like whole milk, leaving a film inside your mouth. Drinkability is mixed for me. I would definitely buy this beer again, but it is not a session beer. I don't think I could drink more than a pint of these in one sitting, but this is not a bad thing. I definitely suggest giving this beer a try. If you've had it and want another beer like it, try Bell's Special Double Cream Stout. It is very similar in many ways.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance – This beer is black and opaque. Head is about two centimeters, tan, and bubbly. It looks appetizing.

Smell – Two main things I smell here…roasted malt and chocolate. There is also a little bit of bitterness there as well.

Taste – Right off the bat this one is loaded with chocolate and cocoa. There are hints of coffee and big amounts of roasted malt. It tastes simply great. I do get a slightly bitter finish with a wonderfully chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – The body is pretty good. Thick and velvety. The carbonation is felt a touch as well and is nice.

Drinkability – Nothing but great things here. It goes down so easy.

I love this beer. Have since I tasted it. Will always have a spot in my fridge.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a very dark brown with a nice tan head over an inch thick that downsizes quite quickly, but pretty much refuses to totally go away and has some nice lacing to it as well. Smells of nut, a bit of chocolate, roasted malts, some nut, and perhaps a bit of roasted coffee as well. Tastes of darker chocolate, coffee, and rootbeer are certainly present as are hints of nut, and maybe even a hint some dark fruits as well. This beer also tastes sweet yet a bit bitter (hence the dark chocolate) at the same time. This ber has a very nice smototh and creamy mouthfeel (like a good stout should!) with mild to moderate carbonation. I find this beer to have a high rate of drinkability as the ABV is only just over 5%.

Eric

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from the nitro can into a clear glass, this beer is a deep brown color, completely opaque. It has a creamy tan head that lingers indefinitely. It smells malty, nutty, choclatey (as it should)! It tastes like a sweet chocolate milk, at first and then ends with a bittersweet chocolate bite. It is like biting into one of those dark chocolate bars that is 80% (or more) pure dark cocoa. Makes sense, since that's what this beer is made from! The feel of this beer is smooth and creamy - meant to be sipped. It leaves a nice aftertaste of chocolate after it goes down. It makes a nice after-dinner, desert-like treat. Delicious!

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Poured a deep brown/black with intense cascading carbonation (typical of nitro cans, yet still a treat to watch) which created a dense, creamy, grayish-brown head.

The chocolate aroma was quite intense, yet it smelled more like sweet milk chocolate than the actual dark chocolate that is used in the brewing process.

The beer tasted quite chocolatey. As the beer rested on the palate, the chocolate flavor became more milky, sweet and smooth. Notes of espresso and a moderate bitterness were noticeable in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was rich, creamy and medium to medium-light bodied for a stout.

3.42/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Very dark brown, not quite black. Decent creamy tan head. Good lacing.

S- Mostly roasted malts with some chocolate. Coffee notes and a milky sweetness are also detectable. Chocolate aroma is not as pronounced as I was expecting.

T- Roasted malts dominate. Chocolate is detectable but certainly not in the forefront. Lactose sweetness comes in towards the middle. Ends with a touch of bitterness and an aftertaste of espresso.

M- Very nice mouthfeel, very creamy and smooth.

D- Not bad but not great. It's fairly low in alcohol but also rather filling. I wouldn't want more than one in a sitting.

Good beer, not great. I was expecting a little more chocolate flavor as this beer is brewed with real dark chocolate, but was left wanting. A good sweet stout, but not something that I would seek out again. For chocolate stouts I'll stick with Rogue.

3.11/5  rDev -22.6%

Traditional looking label with enticing words.."Luxury, silky, rich..." DAMN! Lets see.

a- This poured a great dark brown/black color that looks like a coca-cola. There are amber highlights. The foamy and fizzy brown head is also quite noisy.

s- The smell was fruity, musty and sweet. Chocolate was there just not very potent (and I really buried my nose in there).

t- Hmmm wtf. Kinda dark chocolately. Both bitter and sweet. Interesting but im not quite feeling this. The flavors are too rich, odd and musty.

mf/d- Smooth, creamy and thick. Not very drinkable as this tastes funky. I just don't get the hype.

Overall it tastes exactly like an A&W Cream Soda. I thought this was beer? Sickingly sweet.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

WOW for starters, that was my reaction to my first DCS. The nitro can alone will attract you to buy it, the face of the can is Bold.

A: Poured into a glass, dark thick black colored liquid. A viscocity resembling coffee on the pot all day. When I see my glass evolving this ever changing liquid within as it settles I think of a large frothy hot chocolate and heavy on the chocolate. A thick 2-3 inch head.

S: The nose is a fine Dark Chocolate reminiscent of Cadbury's Dark.

T: First taste is of dark chocolate. Next taste comes a mild to medium hoppiness. True chocolate/ creamy stout finish.

M: Super Well Balanced.

D: Highly drinkable. I would have this anytime. With dinner, with dessert, or just to savor alone. Don't have too many these are thick.

Double Elbows Up,