Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Dark beer, nearly black with some brownish/ruby highlights. The aroma is mainly of some bitter chocolate and some rather unexpected hoppiness. Perhaps I need to let this warm up a bit. The taste...although this is a stout, quite honestly it taste like Bass pale ale with some chocolate thrown in. Same creamy vanilla flavor, light hops, but with milk chocolate in the finish. Ice cold at this point, i'll be back when it warms a bit...

warmed up a bit...The chocolate is more pronounced and sweet. Also some black currant type flavors showing up. Noticeable buttery diacetyl taste here. This is somewhat complex once warmed up, but still tastes alot like a beefed up Bass ale. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with tiny bubble carbonation. Medium bodied. Drinkablity suffers from the heavy diacetyl flavors, but still quick drinkable. Not the best stout I've had, but worth trying for sure.

avylover, Apr 16, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -3%

A thin brown head over a black body- one of the few brews I've had that I can't see some light through. The aroma was intense. It reminded me of a Polish liqueur whose name I cannot recall. Began with a "D'.

The chocolate taste came over the top and finished like coffee.
Finish was malty to say the least.

Even as a dessert brew I'd find this drinkable only within the category. Just personal preference I guess.

brewQ, Apr 12, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

As opaque as my refried black beans, with an esprosso crema like head.

Rich, thick chocolate aroma.

Thick chocolate souffle flavor. This is the most chocolately brew I have ever had. Very low in bitterness, however that low bitteness has length. Very low in sweetness for the style.

Big broad creamy mouthfeel.

500ml gone in 15 minutes with nothing to show for it. No wonder they do not brew smaller sizes, I cannot imagine how fast 330 ml would disappear. This is the first stout I ever enjoyed.

Naerhu, Apr 09, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Jet-black with deep brown head.

Aroma: Soft, smelling lightly of coco

Taste: Chocolate not overpowering, but obviously present. First sips it seems more pronounced, but achieves a wonderful balance with the malt flavors as you get a few sips in.

Mouthfeel: Man, I love draught cans. Smooth as silk. Very light carbonation remaining to give the flavor a little pop, but it's very understated.

Overall: Good after-dinner beer, very dessert-like with the chocolate tones.

iokals, Apr 06, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in bottle at Epic Bar & Grill.

Appearance - Nice and dark black with a tannish head. An excellent looking brew.

Smell - This is another one of those Stouts that make me hungry. A chocolate blast initially mixed in with some roasted notes and some coffee and nuts mixed throughout.

Taste - An awesome mix! Obviously, the chocolate comes out full throttle, but not in a way that you feel like you're drinking a Hershey Bar. Very good balanced taste. Some nutty tones really help this out as well. A tad of coffee and roasted malts come through as well.

Mouthfeel - VERY smooth going down. Not an unwelcome visitor on the tongue. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - This can be a filler, so drinkability takes a hit, however, it is definitely one that deserves two tries in a row.

Overall - Wow. This is one excellent brew. Give this a try.

Edwin, Apr 04, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Served up at Isaac Newton's (Newtown, PA)

Appearance- dark black with a nice fluffy head. The head held up nicely.
Smell- very pleasant. Chocolate and a slight tinge of coffee bean.
Taste- Just smooth chocolate! Very very good!

Overall- a delicious beer!! The chocolate is not cloying and it goes down all too smooth. A great dessert beer!!

Young's Rules!!

NJpadreFan, Apr 04, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow! Okay, up until now, I got to say, this is the best beer I have EVER had. I try to have a couple of these a month. Very malty, but there is some hop bitterness lest you despair. When this beer warms it is truly amazing, if you don't let it, it is truly unremarkable. It has a dark/semisweet chocolate taste and a slightly bitter aftertaste. Goes excellent with chocolate cake, and with creamy milkchocolate. Always a shame when the last sip is consumed. The only drawback is that the drinkibility is low, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

--Joey

Joey7F, Mar 31, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +7%

This poured to a great darkness along with a nice head that lasted throughout the bottle and left a nice mild lace.

The chocolate overtones of this great stout are present but not at all overwhelming. The beer is very well balanced considering how much flavor is in this bottle. It feels great in the mouth, coating like a candy bar. It's a bit dense, but it remains drinkable.

This beer is an excellent way to cap off any good night.

watermelonman, Mar 30, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours like coffee and cream! Cafe color fills the glass, then settles out slowly and beautifully in waves of white and tan to a pure black with a thick white head. It looks like a chocolate shake with whip cream! It does smell slightly of chocolate, but I found the smell to be masked by the intense thickness of the head. Initial taste is quite flat and slightly thin, with pronounced bitterness. It is silky smooth and creamy however, and the bitterness is balanced and slowly melted away by a strong milk and dark chocolate aftertaste. I did not detect any alcohol taste. The mouthfeel was severely damaged by the thinness and lack of carbonation. Is this the nitro coming through? The head did stay intact at about 3/4" till the bottom of the glass. Overall it was ok - nice dessert drink but I will probably not try it again anytime soon.

BrewMan82, Mar 28, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The Double Chocolate Stout pours an opaque midnight black with a fizzy brown head that quickly dissipated to a collar and completely disappeared before I finished.

The aroma is kind of yeasty initially settling into malts and a big sweet dark chocolate smell with some vanilla notes.

It has a smooth creamy mouthfeel. The taste is dominated by chocolate. There is a slight metallic bitterness, but the sweetness definitely overwhelms it. A little too out of whack on the sweet side...I would have preferred a little more hops for better balance.

Overall, I think this would make a terrific dessert drink. It's probably not something I'd drink a lot of or frequently though.

Beaver13, Mar 26, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a nearly pitch black with a creamy brown head. The lace clings to the glass like curtains. A nice looking beer.

The aroma is rich and malty with a pronounced dark chocolate presence. It's like unwrapping a big dark chocolate candy. It's a shame I'm not as fond of dark chocolate as I am of milk. However, it is pretty nice.

The taste is like biting into a dark chocolate candy bar--strong, bitter and very definitely chocolate. This flavor seems to dominate the taste and isn't as balances as I would have liked.

This is a creamy smooth beer that is pleasant to consume. The texture is rich and full and is something like a dessert beer. A complex range of textures bathe the mouth in delightful beer goodness.

Despite the dark chocolate assault on the senses, this is a decent beer that I would try again.

filabrazilia, Mar 21, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A rich dark brown/black color with a light brown rocky head. Clingy lace and little sign of CO2 (due to opaqueness). Aroma is malty, chocolaty, roasted grains and coffee. Background is very earthy. Flavor is creamy and sweet, a roasty full flavored middle with a smooth hop finish. A light hop bite lingers, but is not overpowering. Mouthfeel is full bodied creamy and smooth.

IMHO: A great, thick full flavored stout. Well balanced and easy to drink.

SeanChouffe, Mar 15, 2004

Pours black in color with a creamy tan head that lingers throughout consumption. Aroma started off vinous, then became that of sweet chocolate, roasted malt and powdered cocoa. The mouthfeel is full-bodied, smooth and creamy. Sweet chocolate front turns dark chocolate in flavor as the hop bitterness arrives midway through. Along with the bitterness comes a dryness that lingers into the start of the finish. The finish turn sweet again with flavors of chocolate milk.

Probably one of the best chocolate beers out there. I'd take this over Rogue's Chocolate. Great dessert beer that pairs naturally with chocolate desserts or a fine treat all by itself.

Winter, Mar 14, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

I love watching the cascading effect on these nitros. When all is settled this beer is a deep brown with a tan color head. I could not detect much aroma on this beer, just subtle notes of chocolate. I love watching the cascading effect on these nitros. When all is settled this beer is a deep brown with a tan color head. I could not detect much aroma on this beer, just subtle notes of chocolate. Once you dive in and taste this beer the chocolate smacks you in the face. This is basically a chocolate milkshake in the guise of a stout. The taste definitely lends to this beer being consumed as a dessert. The mouthfeel is typical of a nitro beer: smooth and creamy. Drinkability is lacking as I would not want to have more than one of these in a night. I'd like to call this a niche stout, it serves it's purpose well when looking for chocolate and it is interesting, just not one of my favorites.

soper2000, Mar 04, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

pours midnight black with a creamy brown-tinged off white head, which subsides to a collar that manages to stick around a bit. light roasted barley with hints of chocolate on the nose. light to medium (read: too thin) body, sparse carbonation. still somewhat smooth, light roasted flavor with subtle hints of chocolate. light bittering hops provide an easy finish. not very in your face, which makes it quite quaffable. i think this beer would be helped substantially by the nitro effect. i'll try it in the nitro can next time. still, a solid easy drinking flavored stout.

pheurton, Feb 29, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -3%

I can't believe I've never reviewed this one before! I always have it a couple of times a year at least, as it is such a treat. Anway, dark and opaque when poured, the overflowing head quickly dissipated. I thought the aroma was more coffee-like. Basically I find the taste to be smooth, and reminiscent of a tootsie roll, although one made with darker chocolate. A wonderful treat that chocolate lovers should enjoy. Good stuff.

PatandDavid, Feb 28, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Youngs Double Chocolate pours a dark brown to almost black color. A distinct chocolaty malt aroma extends from the freshly poured brew and the head stand tall and thick with a nice tan color. This is a very good stout with a strong malt presence. The consistancy is not too thick as the head would suggest. This stout is very easy to drink and goes down smooth as silk. I like the very apparent chocolate tones in this beer and would compare this to some of the better stouts that I've tried throughout the years.

The King recommends drinking this beer with a salisbury steak (extra gravy).

KingSlender, Feb 25, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

The beer is a deep reddish brown, pretty much black, topped with a creamy, ivory colored nitro foam. Typical nitro head retention, hardly dimishing at all, leaving rings of belgian lace all the way down the glass. The beer itself is clear, shining a burgundy red when backlit.
The aroma is dominated by roasted malts and a milky chocolate scent. The malt is strongly chocolatey, as well, adding to the experience. A bit of coffee and toffee, with mild estery fruit. Hints of pear and plum blend with a faint undercurrent of herbal hops, my guess is goldings.
The flavor is surprisingly rich for a nitro pour, sweet, smooth chocolate bears throughout, with a distinct milky chocolate flavor, reminiscent of Cadbury's. Light coffee roastiness, with a bit of toffee sweetness, add to the flavor. A touch of plm fruitiness seeps through the middle, sort of like that Cadbury's chocolate with the fruits and nuts in it. The finish is moslty a bittersweet roasty malt, softened some with the mildly lactic chocolate. A touch of tinny nitro flavor adds a light astringency. Not much in the way of hops. Lingering chocolate in the aftertaste. Prickly nitro carbonation, deadening the flavor a bit, from what I remember of the bottle. Medium bodied, with a silky, creamy mouthfeel.
An extremely easy drinking stout. I'd recommend this for anyone that's a novice to to the style, as the chocolate and nitro softens up the roasted bittersweetness considerably. Not something I'd want every day, but it's worth a pint when available.

UnionMade, Feb 24, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Found this at a very reasonable price ($4.99 for the 4-pack of cans) at the local beer store and decided to give it a shot. I think I had one on a previous occasion at the Flying Saucer in Addison, TX, but couldn't recall whether I liked it or not.

I enjoy all types of stouts/porters/etc, but there is something that especially draws me to the ones offered in a nitro can.

I really don't have anything too negative to say about this beer, it looks great and smells good. The only reason I gave it a slightly lower rating for taste is because the chocolate taste seemed a little too "rich" at first. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's over-powering or "bad" at all.

It's probably not something that I'd have more than one of in a row, but I'd say that if you like the style, you will probably enjoy this.

RasputinsRevenge, Feb 23, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

The classic nitrogen cascade forms in the pint glass leaving a one-finger thick head. As it pours from the can, I am surprised at how translucent it is: it looks exactly like brown bottle glass. Once it fills the glass, though, it's practically pitch-black. When swirled, the head never sticks to the glass.

The first sniff is overwhelmingly bitter dark chocolate with a backbone of chocolate malt. It smells as creamy as it looks. Bringing the aroma into the mouth, it is like I am about to drink some chocolate milk. I feel like a kid about to get a treat.

As I take my first sip, the creaminess and smoothness are even better than its appearance and aroma suggest, which is saying something. Hops are noticeable but subdued. Chocolate malt takes the forefront in the initial sips. I am reminded a little of Kahlua when I swirl it in the mouth: there is definitely a hint of sweet coffee in the mix. Mid bottle, as it warms, chocolate flavors become more pronounced, but not sweeter: it's somewhere between unsweetened cocoa and German chocolate cake. The beer finishes just as creamy as it started.

Of all the nitrogen-delivered stouts I have had, Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout ranks at the top. It's an amazing brew from start to finish that just pleases so many senses. (I highly recommend pairing this with chocolate: the beer takes on a wonderful new complexion when paired with it.)

JimsArcade, Feb 20, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fine showing from Young's. Pours a dark black with some reddish elemnts if held up to the light. Moderate to mild off-white head. Smell is ok, nothing especially worth noting. But taste is quite good! Malty and sweet, I taste hops, sugar, dark chocolate, and coffee flavors. Good carbonation. The mouthfeel lets you know that they really used alot of dark chocolate in there, as my mouth feels like I have just eaten a really dry dark chocolate bar after swallowing. What seems like cocoa particles resides in my mouth. Very tasty and very drinkable, an excellent chocolate stout.

RocketWidget, Feb 17, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

This is an exceptional chocolate stout.

Look: Comes in a 25 oz brown bottle with purple label, pours a dark mocha coffee look with a suble creamy head.

Smell: Smell doesn't have that flavor of chocolate like one would expect with a DOUBLE chocolate, but aroma isn't a big thing with me.

Taste: Taste is more of a mocha cofee taste that anything chocolate. I find it great however as this is my favorite and my wifes favorite. Great to must out on Valentine's day.

beertaster13, Feb 15, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -1%

Question: What does this Double Chocolate and a lite beer have in common??? The world needs another lite beer like BA needs its 300+ review of Young's 2x Choc. Never before has the word "Double" lived up to its fullest capacity as on this brew's moniker. Call it Triple Chocolate next time, Young's marketing dept. Jeese! On with the review...

Appearance wise, "Hey, barkeep! I didn't order a Guiness...did I?" Yupper. Looks like that marbled, rolling, eye candy pour. Must be a Nitro. Don't Nitros just have the coolest look? After seven years in the restaurant biz, I always say, "If it looks good, it BETTER taste good." Yes, it does.

Not too high of marks on the aromatic scale, but that's fine. I wasn't drinking this baby with a straw up my schnozola. Capiche? Smelled pleasantly creamy.

Here is the dumbest review entry I have ever written. Ah-hem - It tasted superflously chocolately. But let's go one step beyond. Smooth, velvety, sweet, rich dark chocolately, chocolate. Easy drinkin'. Here is my rub. Ever notice with these niche flavored brews (i.e. Pumpkin Stoudts) that the intensely hot flavor disapates 3/4's of the way thru. Boo hoo. The low carbonation style drinkability was delightful. I had zero lace, but this was a bre-pub. Dirty glass?

I reccomend Brooklyn Chocolate. It also has a cocoa-kick, just in time for Valentine's Day, too.

Beer is good. Happy brewing.

blitheringidiot, Feb 11, 2004

A fantastic stout. Everything a good stout should be. Almost black in colour with a thick frothy tan head. It had a strong chocolate aroma with a slight coffee scent. The taste reminded me of Ben and Jerry's Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz. It was a fantastic coffee flavor with strong chocolate tones. It is a true desert beer with a hearty dark chocolate and coffee taste.

CBFanWish, Feb 09, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +4%

For some reason I can't find the bottle verison of this anymore, did they all change to the nitro-can? Well anyway, who cares I guess, this is down right terrific. Nice thick head on this beer that lasts all the way down to the last drop. Smell consists of chocolate (duh) and some some malts underneath. Taste was super. Nice chocolate flavor with a little hop bite. Quite creamy, but just a little thin but that's ok. A little bitterness aftertaste and can still taste some of that chocolate at the end too. Very nice coco stout.

necoadam, Feb 08, 2004