Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,251 | Reviews: 2,300
4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Deep dark black. Carbonation is excellent. Head is a mocha color and very fine (nitro!) and creamy with good retention. Real thick, creamy lace almost like a milkshake that slowly thins into an intricate pattern.

S: Yum. Smells like a chocolate bar with espresso. A slight roasted nut, and a hoppy caramel.

T: A nice bitter chocolate with a sweet fruity aftertaste. Simple and charming

M: A little watery, good body and great carbonation

D: This is a very drinkable stout. One of my favorites.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

First, Stout is not my style of choice. Second, I generally prefer chocolate in the form of a pie. But Young's Double Chocolate Stout was an excellent tasting!

If you've ever walked in to a real chocolatier's shop, this brew offers the same olfactory experience. In the glass, it looks like strong coffee with a creamy two-finger head -- quickly subsiding. The flavor is. . . wow! It's like I've raided the fridge and started eating chocolate sauce by the spoonful. Absolutely delicious. The finish is something I could get used to. . . chocolate coffee with a slight hint of bitterness. But it's fairly clean, considering the style.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a black thick beer with a fluffy white head. Smells of chocolate and malt. Tastes basically the same. Not nearly as rich as I was expecting it be. Tastes more or less like a slightly alcoholic chocolate malt shake. This isnt my favorite. Could only drink one of these and would prefer to split the bottle with someone. Think it would go really well with some vanilla ice cream though.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim and am very glad I did.

Pours dark with a creamy head. Smell was very appealing with hints of the chocolate. Was very smooth and the chocolate taste came through very nicely and finished well. A very easy beer to relax with and drink – it’s worth a try if you haven't already.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a dense opaque black with a frothy head. Chocolate malty smell that carries over in the taste. Smooth and drinkable, with a mocha finish brought out with the bite of bittersweet chocolate. This one is a winner and one that is good to relax with anytime.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is most definitely a comfort beer for me. Upon opening the can and pouring it out I can already sense my body relaxing and am anticipating its smooth texture and sweet taste. I know it's been stated many times before but it has the appearance of Guinness Draught. The aroma is similiar to a malted chocolate milkshake (of course). Upon initial tasting, you palate is overwhelmed by the silky texture and chocolate taste. It really does remind me of a milkshake. As it warms in the glass, the chocolate fades and the bitterness comes out more. The smooth mouthfeel changes to a more traditional average to thick viscosity of a stout. The aftertaste leaves a mild roasitness behind mixed with faint semisweet chocolate. After a glass of this, there is no need or want of another. This is great for a dessert beer!

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Trying to broaden my beer horizons so to speak, I hit up the liquor store on my way home from work in search of an Irish Stout that didn't rhyme with "Guinness." Not surprisingly, this particular liquor store didn't offer much in terms of selection. In fact, they offered just three different types of Irish Stout - Guinness (no surprise there), Murphy's and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Familiar with both Guinness and Murphy's (they're constantly on stock in this household) my choice was an easy one - I had a one on one date with Young. This is neither here nor there, but I paid $9.99 (before tax) for a four pack. Naturally, I saw it selling for $8.49 at a different liquore store two days later. Go figure.

If we start with appearance, the beer has a thick, creamy head that settles quite nicely. Its color is similar to Guinness in that it is, well, black. There's no way in hell you'll see any sort of light permeating through this beers thick body.

Smell wise, I noticed hints of chocolate and mocha. No surprise there. The chocolate aroma certainly stands out but it isn't overpowering.

This is a perfect case of taste mimicking smell. I noticed definite signs of chocolate and mocha on my palate. The good news? The beer wasn't so rich that I felt like I was drinking a dessert. In this case, the name "Double Chocolate" is a bit deceiving. I was pleasantly surprised, as I'm not a huge fan of that which tends to be too sweet.

No big surprises in the mouthfeel category. The beer is smooth, thick and creamy. Silk-like even. It's what you would expect from a good Irish Stout. Furthermore, the beer is crisp and reasonably carbonated.

Drinkability? I sipped (and I stress the word "sipped" because this is a beer that you'll certainly want to take your time drinking) and finished two in a little over an hour. You'll want to pace yourself on this particular beer, savor the chocolate and mocha aromas and flavors, and let your palate have a little bit of fun.

One of my favorite beers of all time.... this can only be described as yummy!!!! A must buy in the can version only...

Served in tall chilled glass

Nice white head

Very dark almost black...

Taste is very Guinness like, but with a hint of chocolate (not overpowering) and notes of creamy coffee

The feel in the month is very creamy

Nice finish with a slight chocolate aftertaste...

A must have beer if you enjoy stout type beers... Drink and enjoy.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Great nitro pour that settled from the bottom-up. Pretty standard, much like Guinness. Nice off-white head sitting on top of a very dark brown opaque beer. Can only see the brownish/reddish edges when held up to the light.

S: Chocolate dominates, with some smokiness/roastiness. It's not a terribly powerful aroma, but it's there.

T: Hell yeah. This is rich, creamy, smooth and tasty. Up front is some milk chocolate and moves into a very VERY VERY light bitterness. There's a mild roasted flavor as well that piggybacks this. Finish has some hot cocoa thing going on. But the focus is the chocolate, bar none.

M: Silky and creamy.

D: I've never had more than one chocolate stout at a time, and so I don't know if I would get sick of a beer if I overdid it. I wouldn't mind trying with this one, though.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
500 ml bottle
Recent bottling, adored 09/06
Medium pour in an English pint glass.

Poured black with a dark brown ruby edge with a large creamy mostly lasting light brown head with good lacing.

Smelt of moderate pure real chocolatey goodness with slight dark chocolate malt undertones.

Taste was upfront moderate bitter dark chocolate roastiness and light milk chocolatey sweetness followed by a moderate semi sweet chocolatey desert feel that lingers perfectly. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, slightly dry, fizzy with light astringency.

Overall, holy shit, somebody threw some vanilla ice cream in my beer and it tastes like a chocolate milkshake beer float and I think I like it. Then somebody almost ruined it all by throwing too much water in there and the boldness of the taste went away. Still perfectly tasty though.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Looked pretty good with nice dark clear color and a creamy head. Smell was definite chocolate with coffee as well. Semi-sweet taste with definite chocolate overtones but this one had a slight musty taste that was hard to place. Not much in the way of hoppiness. Goes down real smooth, very drinkable.

4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

Wow. I had to try a couple places to find this beer, but it was certainly worth it. Top five brews?

Appearance – Black. Really black. Dark enough you couldn’t see through it in a pint glass when held in front of a 60w lamp. A smooth, foamy ¾” tan head tops it off.

Smell: Perfect? A rich stout with a sweet smell of chocolate.

Taste: Not as sweet as you’d expect, but you definitely recognize the chocolate flavor immediately. A really nice balance of bitter & sweet.

Feel: Very smooth & full. Light carbonation and very enjoyable.

I’m certainly not a chocoholic, but this beer certainly cracks the top 5 beers I’ve had. It’s combination of a bitter stout and sweet chocolate is certainly worth trying.

I have had this beer quite a few times, and this time it is in a bottle. I prefer the nitro can, but it wasn't available where I was shopping, so...

Pours really black, with a tan head that turned white. Smell is like baked dark chocolate.

Taste is a definite mouthfeel, with some tasty malts, and a dark baked chocolate finish.

I am ranking this a bit lower than usual because it was bottled... and like I said, I prefer the nitro, but still tasty. But not a beer I like to drink all the time.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

One of those beautiful looking brews, Young's 2 x Chocolate Stout is black as coal & looks as though it could be as dense as that, too. A thick, creamy head whose lacing bear-hugs the pint glass on its way down just adds to the spectacle.

English chocolate, malt, English Chocolate, malt, English Chocolate...you get the picture (to be perfectly honest, I am actually picking up a slight nuttiness that I haven't noticed in the past, although it certainly plays second fiddle to the headliners). There needn't be anything else going on because my glass smells like dessert which is just fine by me.

Chocolate malt is the most obvious flavor on the initial sip although, unlike the nitro-can or on-tap incarnations, I'm not getting much of the actual dark chocolate. Interestingly, I'm getting bitter hop & coffee notes, almost like a mocha porter. And while the bottled version isn't quite as creamy as the aforementioned types (which is akin to saying Donald Rumsfield isn't quite as evil as Dick Cheney), it's "Luxury" moniker is still well-earned. Excellent.

Right amount of carbonation coupled with a good, thick body makes this right on target for the genre. Not the kind of beer you could drink all night, but if you were to try I doubt you'd suffer all that badly...

Just tried this with some chocolate ice cream. Just ridiculous. Just...damn.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

This was on nitro-tap... amazing. Served with about a finger of thick creamy nitro induced vanilla head on top of a very dark stoutlike body. It smelled of chocolate, and coffee and tasted the same. It was like drinking the best guinness in the world, and chocolate at the same time. I found it quite drinkable, and could easily session this.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours out very dark with a nice creamy tan head that is three fingers in a pint glass.
The smell is fruity and malty with a slight hint of roasted chocolate.
The taste is milky creamy chocolate but not overpowering. This taste like a beer but is very chocolatey.
Mouthfeel is very clean and sweet with no hops to bitter the aftertaste.
I could drink a few of these at a time. Very nice indeed.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours: A medium dark black with a nice and creamy tan head .

Scent: Roasted malts and just a faint whiff of chocolate .

Taste: Verry much like a homemade chocolate milkshake.

Mouthfeel: Was ritch and creamy, and had verry little carbonation to speak of.

Drinkability: I rate this pretty high and like to grab a few whenever i can!

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Black with a creamy head.

Smell: Chocolate is apparent as expected and the roastiness of is great. A very sweet aroma.

Taste: Chocolate is pretty dominate although the roasted malts come through as well. Great dessert type beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick almost chewy body, very rich and creamy, hard to believe a body like this in a beer.

Drinkability: Went down easy but it is kind of filling, I doubt anyone would really want to session this but it is nice to have one for a treat. I'd take this over a typical dessert any day.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: small bubbles with little existing froth that sticks to the glass
Beer color is dark with permanent troubled transparency
sticking of bubble to side

Aroma: sweeting, like powered chocolate, but it is cool rather than hot

Taste: sweet with a slight bitter taste.

Mouth feel: surprising light mouth feel with a carbonation and bitterdry finish and powery taste

definietly recommend with an interesting mix of hot chocolate feel to it, but the beer is cool and drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

As I had it straight from the bottle, I can't report on it's appearance, but the nose and flavor were quite good. It's first and foremost a very solid stout with a nice roasted malt character, hints of chocolate in the nose and more in the aftertaste. Exhale through your nose after taking a drink and you'll really get the full effect. Overall it's a well balanced brew and the chocolate notes are a nice touch without being overpowering.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Very dark, nearly black with a dense, light tan head. Chunky lacing and good head retention. Super chocolatey aroma - dark chocolate, a little milk sweetness, just like cutting blocks of chocolate when baking. There's a hint of roasted malt too, but it's quite subdued compared to the caramel maltiness. The flavour has a lot more malt in it, some caramel, that complements the chocolate. On the bittersweet side more than milk chocolate. Fairly quick finish with a bit of cocoa. On the creamy side, medium bodied with slightly lower than average carbonation. Also a bit dry. This is tasty stuff. The chocolate is right up front, but it still tastes balanced and not at all like this is just a dessert beer.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

I first had and reviewed this back in Feb. of 2005. Since my knowledge of beer and brewing, as well as my palate, have been immensely sharpened since then, I felt this was worth revisiting.
This poured from its pint sized bottle, nearly black with only a razor thin line of light shining though. The very edges are a dark reddish bronze colour. There was a thick, foamy, khaki coloured head that faded away into a 2 mm blanket of sand coloured frost with thick, wonderful lacing about the edges of the glass.
I found very little sweetness in the smell, but rather lots of bitterness, such as bitter baker's chocolate and coffee beans. There were, of course, some malty aromas.
Taste was quite sweet and chocolatey. There was, however, a strange characteristic in this that seemed to remind me of scotch. I can't place it, and it certainly wasn't offensive or too powerful, but upon each sip, I thought, "hmm, scotch". Strange, eh? I felt the mouthfeel for this was very, very thin and light. Perhaps that will allow for me to consume more of this delicious stout, but quite honestly, stouts of this sort, I like to almost be able to chew.
I am very glad I chose to revisit this, and I will most certainly buy it again. The only thing I could find wrong with it, was that I was exceptionally lightweight for the style.
*Note: I paired this with Ghirardelli "Espresso Escape" premium dark chocolates made with 60% pure cacao and finely ground espresso beans. I reviewed the beer as accurately as possible omitting characterisics of the chocolate. I consumed most of the chocolate after the review.

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Tried this gem last night for the first time and I must say it was an extremly pleasant surprise. Nice aroma of dark chocolate. Nice creamy sustained head. A very smooth stout beer. Not too sweet or not too bitter. Pleasant after taste. The aroma and flaver improve after warming in the glass. This is a highly drinkable stout and has moved to the top of my list as one of my favorites. Highly reccommended.

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

Container Volume: 500ml

Container type: bottle (pasteurized)

Fresh: consumed 2 months before exp.

Head: sustaining

Lace: well

Color:
Reflected- black
Transmitted- dark brown

Aroma: chocolate roasted malts

Mouthfeel: Heavy

Palate: adjusts immediately

Taste:
Start- chocolate
Middle- sweet / bitter
Finish- clean

Comments: Very rich. Good blend of sweet and bitter. Clean finish.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- y

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

This one has been one of my standby stouts for a long time, but I never got around to reviewing it until now.

Poured a nice, lovely deep, deep black, but not opaque. There were hints of garnet around the edges where the light made it through. Once the nitro frothing settled down, the beer developed a nice, thick, and very tight head that lasted a good long while.

The smell reminds me of opening a bag of milk chocolate chips. There's that ever so slightly bitter chocolate aroma, a bit of waziness, and an enticing sweetness. There is just flat out no hop presence I can detect anywhere in the nose. Just a slight bit of darker malts, and the above mentioned chocolate.

The taste is also similar to a chocolate bar. It's sweet, yet not overwhelmingly so by any means. It has all the desired characteristics of a good sweet stout, with the added cocoa flavor as a bonus. Any hopiness here is relegated to a bit of bitterness. I detected no hop flavor of any sort. The bitterness seems to come mostly from the malts and chocolate. Surprisingly balanced, given the style and the adjuncts.

The mouthfeel is thickish, but oddly thinner than one may expect. This would probably be better were it a bit more creamy and chewy. It's good as it is, but there's room for improvement here, in my opinion.

Very, very nicely done. A great twist on the style. It's a sweet stout to begin with, so why not add something that most people think of when they think of "sweet", like chocolate? Truly worth seeking out.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd