Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Double Chocolate StoutYoung's Double Chocolate Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Young's Double Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Dark, dark brown with a beige head featuring tight bubbles, this stout is very inviting. Aroma wise, I was surprised by the cardboard and plastic smell presence. Additionally, I detected nearly no malt or hop. In the taste department, CHOCOLATE and lots of it. Also present: caramel (as in candy, not the malt). Nice hop finish resulting in a wonderfully balanced beer.

This is a thick and rich beer. It would be an excellent dessert beer, perhaps going best with some strong cheeses.

smcolw, Feb 01, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a DARK ruby brown with a very finely texture tan head.

Smell is chocolate and coffee. There are also vanilla and toffee smells here.

Taste chocolate, coffee and malt. There is also a fruity undertone to this beer.

Best possible mouthfeel.

Very drinkable for so hearty a brew.

Zorro, Feb 01, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Had this beer for "dessert" after another beer, hoping that it would finish off the evening nicely ...

Pours dark black, with a medium brownish head that seems quite bubbly.

The scent? Maybe it was this bottle? This batch?I didn't get much of a scent. There was a slight, sweet malt scent, but not much else. Disappointing, definitely.

The taste? Like a creamy, malty milkshake in the back. Up front, not much. There's a sweet, lingering malt aftertaste that sticks around as well. As I keep sipping, there's more vanilla than chocolate. Maybe it's a vanilla-chocolate milkshake? Maybe cream soda? And the aftertaste gets a bit hoppy, with metallic notes as well.

The Double Chocolate Stout is certainly easy to drink, but it was not as thick and balanced as I'd hoped - and I didn't really detect much chocolate. As a dessert beer it was interesting, but overall a bit too sweet as well.

jahred, Jan 29, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -6%

Very interesting product, has a quality all of its own found in the taste as well as the nose.
Black as coal with a thick tan ring and thin island lace. Full bodied with, I believe to be a light carbonation.
Nose is a combination of chocolate, coffee and nuts.
The taste equalls the nose and is very smooth going down.
Drinkability I find would be limited due to the sweetness and the body.

Shiloh, Jan 28, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +5%

Man, this is one great beer. I picked up a couple of bottles at my local package store when I went to bring in a supply of some of my favorites. The pint and 9oz. bottle set me back $2.19. What an absolutely incredible investment. I enjoy good stouts to begin with, and the appeal of the added chocolate just made this a more tempting treat. Slight hop bitterness on the back end.

Pours well, with a half-inch head that doesn't hang around too long. Beautiful coloring, though. Dark and creamy looking, no light shining through at all when I hold it to the bulb. Nice nose, chocolatey and malty.

The first taste is a wonder. The malts really combine well with the chocolates. Very smooth character, carmel flavors abound. Gets a coffee-like taste to it as it warms a little. This is a rich beer, and I would not recommend slamming this one down, despite the fact that it's relatively low in ABV. This was great before a meal, but I would also recommend it as an after-dinner treat.

Good, hearty mouthfeel. This was almost a meal by itself. Very drinkable, despite it's richness. Not sure I'd make it a session beer, but I could drop a couple of bottles of this with no problem at all. Slowly though, taking the time to savor the experience.

Most excellent.

Dubblebock, Jan 26, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

What a treat! This is a very fine beer.

Pours up a dark walnut colour with a solidly substantial dark tan head. Not much retention, buy very nice lace all the way down.

Roasted malts and tons of chocolate in the nose. A touch of hops in there too. Quite appetizing.

Mildly bitter to drink, malts, a hint of licorice and a savory lingering chocolate aftertaste. A delightful glass of beer.

TerryW, Jan 25, 2004

they really do add chocolate to it. Must be drunk last at meal end or at end of a session to appreciate. The colour and smell of chocolate.
Almost four years later, I had this on tap at Cole's and while it is thick foam that coats the mouth and there is chocolate and coffee there, it paled the new Ommegang chocolate and Rogue imperial porter. Beautiful chocolate black.

Sammy, Jan 25, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A fresh bottle of this stuff....for about a buck 50....awesome! This is a jet black colour with a lovely beige head. The aromas are of chocolate, and roasty toasty malts. The taste is chocolatey and caramely with some lovely roasted malts and light hops in the mix as well. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and oh-so-excellent and the drinkability is simply out of this world. Awesome stuff!

francisweizen, Jan 21, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Another fine offering from The Flying Saucer. Eighty- two beers on tap and I always come back to this one.

Black as night body doesn't allow any light. Thick foamy long standing mocha head. Lacing is present.

Chocolate malt and cocoa aroma with a fresh roasted coffee bean kick. Yum!

Taste is awesome...Roasted malts are welcomed by an incredible bittersweet dark chocolate flavor. Cafe mocha with a hint of raspberry. A mild carbonation tingle near the end.

Creamy rich mouthfeel is very inviting. Overall, definitely better than the bottle.

Plainly, I love this beer. This being my preferred taste, I can drink these all night long, and I think I'll do just that.

WOLFGANG, Jan 21, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

mmmm... Orgasm in a can (oops I can say that right?)

It poured a nice opaque black with a good thick head that lasted and laced down the glass.

It pairs chocolate roast for a malty coffee-y flavor with the sensuous taste of chocolate. Wow, what a dessert.

it finishes like godiva liquor, sweet and chocolatey

Reneejane, Jan 21, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Wow, this isn't beer, this is a force of nature.

Appearance: Served in a can with one of those nitro-widgets in it. Pours a light-absorbing black with an absolute steamer of a head, lacing is a thing of beauty. Are the bubble supposed to go downwards? Phenomenal.

Smell: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, surprisingly delicate in the nose.

Taste: Deeply roasted coffee, hints of chocolate, and a taste that I can only describe as something like Jose Cuervo tequila in the background. Nothing is too overpowering, all the tastes, while quite forceful, are very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: This has to be the smoothest beer I've ever had. Carbonation is next to impossible to detect, and for a beer with only 5.0% ABV, what alcohol there is really makes itself known. This beer packs quite a wallop in this category.

Drinkability: Not something I'd want to drink more than one of at a time, but a very nice offering nonetheless. I suppose if I were having a chocolatey dessert, this beer would match quite well, but sitting here drinking it and eating a piece of sharp cheddar cheese, it's not quite the same.

JackTheRipper, Jan 19, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Draft can from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA, wow, almost as nice as a nitro tap presentation. But we're not talking about tap, this is a draft can, so let's go...

Incredible head, amazing staying power, as expected. Super malty nose, dark look like you couldn't believe, smoothness to die for. Get if possible, on draft , draft can, or plain old bottle, whatever you can...

ppoitras, Jan 17, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A nearly black and opaque brew with a very thick and creamy head of creme-color. Beautiful beer, and that everlasting nitro-head is a pleasure to look at, but not as much so as to sip and get the incredibly creamy mouthfeel. Huge toffee in the aroma along with a good deal of cocoa and some mild hops. Roasted malt greets your taste buds, and of course the generous amounts of chocolate and toffee. A nice mild English bitterness complements these perfectly. Again, wonderfully thick and creamy mouthfeel. Light to medium body, but rich for an English beer. Quite drinkable, would make a great session beer if you're in the mood for good bittersweet chocolate, and a great dessert beer on the same note. A pleasure on tap. Looking forward to having it again.

hyuga, Jan 15, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

I loved Young's Oatmeal Stout, so, thought I'd try their offering in the gorgeous purple and orange can. It soon became a favorite. I recently tried it on tap at the Yardhouse in Denver - and it is even better on tap than in the nitro-pack can. Especially in a tall ½ yard glass! Talk about a creamy, solid foam head - it never goes away! The massive clouds of foaming brew forms slowly as the soft brown cascades of carbonation struggle to the top. When the beer settles down, it is an opaque coffee brown – and the aroma contains coffee. And chocolate - with a hint of vanilla. But surprisingly the taste is more of a stout experience than sweet. Just right. Amazingly good. Okay, perfect.

palliko, Jan 13, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dirty black cocoa with a deep and dense tan head. Nice retention and laces up pretty well but seemed to falter towards the end.

Woo! Nice aroma on this! I can smell this all night! Deep dark chocolate with cocoa, lots of cocoa. Truffle characteristics w/o sugar. Smells wonderful!

Chocolate, cocoa, coffee, walnuts with a hint of vanilla and a nice hop bite. This tastes great!

This has been my second tasting of this beer and either the beer has improved a lot (which I doubt) or my palate has improved a lot. We will go with number 2!

Crosling, Jan 13, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I had the pleasure of this on tap at the Blue Nile in mpls.Dark sultry with medium off white head.The smell is dark chocolate malt and sweet sweet milk chocolate.I sip and its like a candy bar in a glass, yet not cloying or too strong.I have had this from a bottle and it was not nearly so balanced or choco good. It fills and coats the mouth nicely, so smooth and gentle.After dinner , as a snack, this one is so nice. Some gentle hops hover in the background as I ponder how nice to be alive and relax with Youngs D C S

steorn, Jan 09, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours black with a two-finger, creamy nitro head. The head retention is almost ridiculous: tons of lacing, and about a finger of head at the bottom of the glass after the beer.

Aroma: Obvious chocolate, toasted malt, a very slight hint of alcohol (far less noticeable than Brooklyn BCS), and some grainy sweetness.

Taste: Big, chewy roasted malt and chocolate flavors with some coffee bitterness and caramel sweetness in the nose. Just a little bit of hops. Dry finish with nice, lingering chocolate aftertaste. Chocolate flavor is never cloying or overpowering. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Very smooth, extremely creamy.

Drinkability: Neither a session beer nor a sipper, but it's easy to drink three or four of these without feeling the alcohol or any heaviness.

This beer has dethroned Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Rogue Chocolate Stout as my favorite chocolate brew. At $6.99 for a four pack, a bit expensive for a college student, but I'm sure I'll be buying it again and again.

jed, Jan 09, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

This is an exceptional brew, Just as good if not better than the bottled version. Oustanding appearance, black with a lasting nitro head. Malt and chocolate essences waft your nostrils inviting you to taste. You will not be disappointed! Creamy, smooth, malty, chocolate..a faint hint of hops....exceptional....can a get the recipe to home brew this stuff? Mouthfeel is rounded and light to medium a perfect feel for the flavors swirling through this brew. Drinkability?
So smooth and creamy, it was almost like having a serving of malty choclate mousse. This is an oustanding, exceptional brew. Buy some now and enjoy!

edchicma, Jan 07, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Yet another wonderful offering from the gang at Young's.
Pours a dark brown (almost black) when held up to the light, you cannot see anything through it (great). Head is a deep tan.

Smells of coffee, chocolate, hops. The smell is by far the best thing about this beer.

Taste: This is a good stout, just the right balance of smoothness and bitterness. My favorite part is the slight chocolate aftertaste, very pronounced and yet not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: this is just a smooth beer, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Drinkabilty: This is where this beer kind of falters. It takes me a long time to drink one of these because of it's thickness. It is VERY heavy and not something you can drink more than one of in a night, but the hour or so it takes to drink a single bottle is just great.

Overall: Definitely a cold weather beer, it reminds me of a good cocoa and a warm blanket

LuckySevens82, Jan 06, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -3%

A rich blackness fills my glass and rises up with a frothy, dense tan head. The head settles and leaves nice whisps of tan lace on the sides. Oooh, I like that.

Light roasted earth and barley tones rise out of my glass. I hold it up to the light and can't see through it. Mmmm.

My first sip brings a silky malt taste. It's smooth, roasted, and enjoyable. The label says "double chocolate" yet I find myself searching, reaching for that hint of chocolate. A mere kiss will do. This is a very fine stout however I'm a bit disappointed in my over-anticipation.

Mangus, Jan 05, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -1%

I have to admit to a bit of disappointment with this brew. Don't get me wrong, it's very good, as my rating suggests -- it's just not as good as I'd hoped. It had a wonderful appearance and a nice smokey/roasted taste, followed by a truly delightful chocolaty aftertaste. But it was a bit thin in the mouthfeel department for me. I guess after some of the wonderful American micro brewed stouts I've tried, I'm just partial to a "bigger" beer.

jtfest, Jan 04, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours pitch black with large dense tan head.

Smells of roasted malts and tootsie rolls.

Flavor is roasted malts, chocolate, a little alcohol, and chocolate again. The chocolate is not overpowering, but rather a silky smooth character that caresses the tongue and teases of rich chocolate cake.

The mouthfeel could be thicker but maybe the slick, smooth feel contributes to the amazing drinkability.

Fast becoming one of my favorite beers, I am looking to try this on nitro-tap.

Jables, Jan 02, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a classic brown Young's bottle with the purple label, it's very dark brown, almost black. The head was minimal at the beginning and gone after a few sips. The aroma is mostly chocolate with just a hint of ripe fruit. The taste is quite chocolatey but somewhat on the bland side: inoffensive but not outstanding in any way. The mouthfeel seemed slightly thin for a stout. If looking for a chocolate stout, I'd pick Rogue over this any day of the week.

mickeymac, Jan 01, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Black in color, almost opaque, big foamy tan head. Chocolate is first to the nose, slight fruit scent. Taste is wonderful, bittersweet chocolate and chocolate -- the lable doesn't lie -- but there is some complexity there. Great dessert. And sum-mooth, oh my. This is becoming a staple in my diet and the taste really grows on you. It's my comfort beer.

budsboy, Dec 31, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served into the nonic pint glass at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium. The color was black, with a nice nitro head. The smell was slightly sweet. The taste was a rich and fantastic sweet milk chocolate. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth. Drinkability-wise, could definitely have a few of these.

One of the best nitro stouts that I've ever had. A rich and delicious chocolate make this a real treat. Quite good, and certainly one that I'll have again!!

beergeek279, Dec 24, 2003