Smithwick's Ale - Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

to view more.
Ratings: 617 | Reviews: 305
Reviews by vtisme:
4.58/5  rDev +35.9%

This is one delicious Ale. Arrives a deep ruby color with a finger head that doesnt go away for a while and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Smells pretty bitter up front and so does it taste, but it goes down smooth and the faint taste of bread is what is left on your tongue on the end.

I really like this ale, I will be the only one in this one horse town that will, I rated it all 5's.
I get a toffey taste from it or maybe it's caramel. To me it is a refreshing taste from all the floral taste out there! I would recommend it to my friends.

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

Nice to find Smithy's here in Greensboro at Mc'Couls Public House,pours a deep copper with some amber highlights with a pretty thin head.Aroma is roasted and very fruity with some big caramel notes,I also got a some doughy flavors in the background.Much more fruity than expected,I really liked this beer will become my staple when I go to that bar.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance – This one poured a bright translucent light brown in color with some modest orangish notes and a big, overpowering head that lingered and laced well.

Smell – The sharp grain defines this flavor profile. It has a variety of sweets as well, but most of these seem rather cheap. I’m not finding any hops to this at all.

Taste – The grain and sugars work better together at the taste. There’s definitely no “umph” to this one, though.

Mouthfeel – This is a bit bigger than light-bodied with some decent carbonation. It is somewhat refreshing, too, which save it.

Drinkability – The drinking experience was rather uneventful, but there’s nothing here that will activate your gag reflex.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass; the color was an exceptionally appealing amber, with nice clarity(for a red beer). The head that formed had an off-white appearance approximately an inch and a half in thickness. It never really went away while I took 20 to 25 minutes to enjoy this beer. When I had about an inch of beer left in my glass, there was still a quarter-inch of head left.

The aroma seemed well balanced with the malts and hops.

Taste was very smooth since it had low carbonation to it. Definatley a creamy or buttery mouthfeel. Quite satisfying to the taste buds. Very refreshing compared to say a Killians Red Lager(which I happen to like).

I have already purchased 12 bottles of this beer and began to share it with my friends. Enjoyed very much.

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%

Clear copper, rusty, red with a nice pillowy two finger white head. Patchly lacing is left behind as it settles. Nice. Caramel infused with some cereal grains along with a hint floral notes...underwhelming for the most part. Fairly bland.

First sip brings a nice caramel maltiness along with some crisp graininess and a hint of floral/spicy hop as well. A slightly nutty aftertaste and slight mettalic twang rounds it out.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a tad creamy with healthy carbonation. Fills the mouth well. Drinkability is good...as it goes down easy...however this is not something I'd regularly go far.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

I guess this is the new In beer for our area; it's popping up in all my usual hangouts. After tasting it, I'm not impressed. It"s a dark amber color with a thick white head and some nice lacing. It had a weak toasty odor, and tasted of grain with some slight hoppiness. I really didn't appreciate much flavor. An average beer.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer is good overall. It's not a very strong irish ale, like george killians, but it is a different kind of beer. It's a bit thick, but not guinness extra stout, a bit sweet. Appearance and smell are better than average. all in all a pretty good beer. i would drink it again.

2.99/5  rDev -11.3%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Big foamy off white head, good retention. Bright reddish copper in color.

Clean caramel malt aroma, hint of hop and buttery diacetyl.

Water caramel malt palate in a moderate body and medium carbonation. Mild on the hops with not much of a finish other than a lingering toasted grain husk flavor.

Decent at best, taste mass-produced and to light on the palate. Many American brewers make a better Irish style red ale.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Enjoyed at the Dilly Deli, in Cincinnati, on 12/30/04. Served in a pint glass, the ale had a thin, wispy, offwhite head atop a clear, dark amber body. I didn't see what the head looked like when it was initially drawn, as the little deli was quite crowded and I was seated in the dining section. Delicate sheets of lace draped down the glass. A fine looking ale.
Aroma was subdued, with a hint of caramel and a note of herbal/floral hops.
Mouthfeel was crisp and evenly carbonated, with a light body.
Taste was well balanced, with a sweet malt backbone and a kiss of herbal hops bitterness. Crisp and refreshing, with biscuity malt and a lot less hopping than the American red ales I've grown accustomed to. Very enjoyable, particularly with the deli's signature dish of grilled shrimp and asparagus salad.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

On tap. I was pleased to see this at a Macro "pub" close to my work. Something worth trying. Poured dark amber with a creamy white head. Nice Malty,earthy nose. Creamy mouthfeel. Malt, nutty and a bit of peat in flavor profile. This was a pleasant suprise, a dencent Irish ale, good session brew.

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Cornwall's in Boston's Kenmore Square.

Pours an amber brown with a thick white head with little retention. Smells nutty, sweet and smokey. Taste is strong malt, no hops to speak of. Some caramel sweetness. Not much in the way of mouthfeel, a bit chewy. Very easy to drink, good choice for a day of hanging around the house or of putting back pints at the local pub.

This was my first time trying this beer. It was quite popular in Ireland when I was there, but I chose to only drink Guinness and Baileys for the entire trip. Good to see it make it's way to the States.

4.92/5  rDev +46%

I spent 2 weeks in Ireland, and spent much of that time constantly looking for another pint of this wonderful ale. It's right alongside Guinness in every pub, but can't be found in the UK. I like it better than Bass. Although the Guinness is definitely better in Ireland than in the states, I had a hard time having anything but a Smithwick's. Like Guinness, the Irish version is far superior to the American version. I made the mistake of pronouncing the w in a smokey run-down local pub outside of Cork City the first time I asked for one. That's something you're sure to do only once.

2.99/5  rDev -11.3%

On tap, Patrick McGovern's Pub, St. Paul, MN...

Clear darker amber appearance with a pale creamy head of excellent duration. Fat dripping rings for laces. Slight grain to the aroma, but not too much else to read in that department. Body is fine, the carbonation is done right, just enough to call it quaffable and creamy. The flavor just leaves me wanting something more to hang a hat on, very obvious pale caramel and powdery sugar to begin with, then a fade to black without much of any hop sense. There's nothing obviously wrong here, but the bottom falls out after the attractive looking pour.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Light caramel amber tone with an almost white cream head forms nicely leaves fine lacing behind, not bad. Aroma: Pale malt sweetness with some residual caramel notes as well tame floral hops seems light and airy overall. Taste: Flowery hops light caramel malt sweetness blend nicely very balanced and unoffensive as a whole finishes slightly earthy for me. Mouthfeel: Medium to light in body evenly carbonated can't complain too much. Drinkability: Very sessionable not too watery but not flavorful enough for me, I enjoyed it in Canada when throwing darts and drinking in bars with little or no beer selections glad to see it made it's way back to the States.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this on tap at Limerick Junction in Atlanta.

Pours a good amber color that's lighter at the bottom and darker at the top of the pint glass. Head is a little less than one finger and dies down pretty quickly to a thin layer of bubbles on top. Not much lacing.

Smell is close to an Irish stout. A lot of malt aroma, with a little bitter scent.

Tastes the same as it smells. Biggest taste is the malt, and it ends with a slightly bitter taste and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is alright. There's a little too much carbonation, could be a little smoother.

This is a pretty drinkable beer. The malt taste could be a little more integrated with the rest of the flavors.

Overall this is a decent beer. Better than a lot of other macros, but you can find better beers.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

I was confused reading prior reviews talking about amber color-
the pints we drank were brown with white heads. Not especially noteworthy for any hop aroma some decent malt sweetness.

We had a great night at Derry's Pub near Miller Park stadium in Milwaukee. Our group found this a good session beer for a mixed bunch of adventurous and less adventurous drinkers. While I like the beer I could not help think that Guinness is basically just filling in their line from a marketing perspective- Guinness, Smithwicks, Bass, Harp.

My favorite beer by far thick and creamy yet smooth and refreshing. Head of a guiness taste of perfection.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice nightcap apreciated on-tap at Scotty's Brewhouse.

This beer poured a nice dark copper/brown color with a slightly off white head. Aroma is malty with a slight hint of smoke. Not a very assertive nose. Flavor is very well balanced. Heavy malts press against a nice smokiness that becomes more prevalent as the beer warms. A tad bit of bitterness is to be found as well. It possess a medium body and I definately would nominate this as a decent session brew. Plus it's sweet enough to offer to your friends who can't stand hop bombs, although it won't be in my regular purchasing rotation.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smithwicks Ale. on tap at Bar-A (Belmar, N.J.)

My Irish friend tells me its pronounced Smith-icks!!!

Appearance- copper with an amber hue. nice size head that lasts to the last sip.
Smell- malty and caramelly. nice
Taste- a nice well rounded malt flavor.
Mouthfeel- very good- no bitterness or dryness goes down so smooth. a real session beer.

Overall- a very good beer to have on tap alongside bud, miller, & coors!!!

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

A decent beer. A serious brew head would give it a low score but it is a good adventure beer for folks looking for something light but different.

3.71/5  rDev +10.1%

Lovely amber color. Good clarity. Fruity, slightly hoppy nose. Initial mouthfeel was very full, malty, lots of nonfermentable sugar feel... but then finished as a clear amber lager. A good session beer, one I'd like to stock up on if the price is right.

2.96/5  rDev -12.2%

This pours a dark ruby color with a smallish head. The smell has a slight malt aroma,but it is pretty weak. The taste is all malt sweetness with a slight hop presence. The m/f is light and pretty well balanced,but this is just an average beer at best.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: A fairly dark amber / brown. About a 1" head that comes down slowly, and a good amount of lacing also around the glass as I drink.

Smell: Not tons of complexity, but I like the fruit backing. It seems very right for summer. Other than that, there's some faint hops.

Taste: Carries through from the aroma. Not too discernible as far as flavors, but by the finish there's a nice fruity backing and some curbing hops. Still, not what I expected I guess from a red ale.

Mouthfeel: As expected I suppose. Decent carbonation and full enough without being too astringent or spritzy.

Drinkability: I do think this is a solid brew, and I'd drink it again. I don't know the 6-pack price or anything, but this went down very easily and went very well with my Bangers and some of the spiciness of that. Maybe not the best IRA, but I'd drink more of this.

Tarnished, earthy bronze below a fully fluffed beige dome of intermediate retention.
Nose of walnuts, toffee, and earthy tea.
Begins with a muscular malt, a mixed bag of candied -but not sweet- nuts. Sways earthier, with a continuation of toffee. Rye dough-like yeast contributions. Enders faintly bittered, with a steely black tea suggestion.
Moderate of both body and carbonation. This is a session beer all the way. Not a bad choice.

to view more.