Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale - Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

Ireland

Irish Red Ale |  4.30% ABV

Now brewed here:
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /209/52083

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-08-2002)

4.97/5  rDev +43.6%

Had this on tap and loved it probably one of my favorite beers ever so easy to drink.

This cream ale pours a nice ruby red with a little yellow in the light. Nice white two finger head with a one finger that lingers.

The smell is nice of roasted malts and cream just smooth all around.

The taste is of malts and smoothness if that is a taste a bit watery if you concentrate to hard. A great offering for this style and good job for a guiness brew.

The mouthfeel is smooth and carbonated with just a little fizz nice and easy to take down a really nice session beer with the low abv what a great brew to just sit back and enjoy with friends.

4.97/5  rDev +43.6%

I am partial to this beer it was my favorite while i did study abroad in Venice, Italy.

A-Appearance is a creamy red ale, witha nice thick head that is a tannish white.

S- Malt with carmel undertones.

T- Taste the sweet carmel malt, taste like a true Irish cream ale should.

M- Very smooth and creamy full bodied feel.

D- Excellent drinkablity, I had plenty of these while in Europe.

4.9/5  rDev +41.6%

I first discovered this beer through a friend at a gym I go to. He is British and was familiar with many beers from the UK. I was tired of the same old beers we have here in this little province of PEI Canada, so he suggested I try some English and Irish beers, Kilkenny was my first, I've tired a dozen or so others but keep coming back to Kilkenny, it's my favorite of all. Smoothest I've ever tastes, and really goes with almost anything, its texture is so creamy and the head is so dense and inviting. Recently it became available here, not sure if it's because of my pleading. Everyone who come over I give them a glass full and no one has ever not been impressed with it. I highly recommend people try it out.

4.88/5  rDev +41%

I had this beer on tap in Ireland numerous times on a trip there. The taste and mouthfeel are outstanding. Very nice mix of hoppiness and malts with a stronger malt character.The head stayed with the beer the whole glass. Very smooth and drinkable beer. I wish it was available here.

4.68/5  rDev +35.3%

4.68/5  rDev +35.3%

I brought a bunch of the delicious brew back from a trip to Ireland several years ago and really had to savor each can; because when I asked Guinness USA why this beer isn't available in the US, they told me that it would be a direct competitior to the pub can stout that they produce. Fair, it would take away from sales of the original, I'm sure. But this is s completely different style of beer. This is a Red-Cream Ale, with an enormous and beautiful head, and a smell of a heather field from the Emerald Isle herself. It has a full, rich body with malt to spare; and the finish goes on forever. I highly recommend this brew, and would consider trading to get my hands on more.

4.63/5  rDev +33.8%

Readily available in Canada, I regularly partake of this classic beer. Few beers have a better appearance than Kilkenny. The deep red colour and cascading carbonation of a freshly poured pint are prime examples of the style. The taste is near heavenly; smooth and well heeled, without significant bitterness. Kilkenny is truly drinkable, I could drink this daily for the rest of my life and be a happy man. I feel sorry for Americans, since you apparently can't find Kilkenny in the States. My favourite beer, hands down.

4.6/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really smooth creamy enjoyable beer.

4.58/5  rDev +32.4%

appearance: Copper
smell: malt/cookie/slight caremel
taste: creamy/Caramel/light malt
mouthfeel: creamy
drinkability: Excellent

I experienced this beer while in the Netherlands: Eindhoven, Breda, and again in Amsterdam and fell in love with this wonderful ale. I damn sure wish it were sold in the US.
I have found that many others I work with have also fell in love with this beer but bummed about its distribution.

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%

This is a striking beautiful brew with it's deep mahogney color with a reddish-orangey tint,a beautiful full foamy tan head that stays with the brew all the way to the bottom of the glass,and leaves a full sticky lacing all the way through.
The nose is of malts,with a sniff of caramel butter,and toffee.
Taste is bitterness right from the start than the malts,caramel and toffee kicks in than more bitterness again and finish's off with a tinge of dryness,all going down like a creamsicle,creamy smooth,just slides right down very easy.
Excellant mouth to this one, medium body that goes down thin but creamy at the same time,very very smooth,and the head, that turns into a nice 1/4 inch collar,stays with you all along, and adds to the creaminess,wonderful to drink,could easily drink 3 or 4 of these at 500 ml. before moving on to some thing else.Very enjoyable and highly reccomended.

4.33/5  rDev +25.1%

i've heard kilkenny is just smithwick's renamed in order to appeal to a younger crowd, but i can assure you it's a completely different beer. a very good irish red ale that's an excellent session beer. pours a reddish amber with a fairly thick, creamy head. i had this on tap while in ireland, but i believe it's still unavailable in any form in the US, which is a shame because i certainly miss it.

4.28/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured a 440-ml can into a pub ale glass.

Appearance - shimmering, cascading flow as the beer settled to an amberish- white cream head.

Smell - hops and malted barley, with a hint of both caramel and coffee.

Taste - wow! I'm impressed with the harmonious combination of nuttiness and caramel-vanilla. Pretty complex taste - enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - pretty decent, although just a touch more sparkle or bite would be good.

Drinkability - the low-alcohol, high-taste is a winner. Many of these could be put down in a night.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%